Ellery Bicknell Crane.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) online

. (page 28 of 133)
Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 28 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


shin) in 1667, and settled in the large tract of
nine hundred acres, called the Cambridge School
farm, west of the Shawshin river, north of the
present Boston road. He was a soldier under Cap-
tain Samuel Gallup in the land expedition to Canada
by way of Albany, 1690. He was deputy to the
general court, 1703-04. Before he died he gave a
farm to each son. He died at Billerica, February
25, 1720, aged seventy-six years. His widow died
November 20, 1734. Children of Thomas and Mary
Richardson were: Mary, born February 8, 1670-71,
died young; Mary, January 31, 1671-72, died young;
Mary, Februay 17, 1672-73, married Edward Farmer,
Jr.; Thomas, December 30, 1675; Andrew, June 16,
1678, married Hannah Jefts; Nathaniel, see for-
ward; Jonathan, February 14, 1682-83, married Han-
nah French ; Ruth, December 4, 1685, married John
French ; Elnathan, February 7, 1686-87, died young.

(III) Nathaniel Richardson, sixth child of
Thomas Richardson (2), was born in Billerica, Jan-
uary 25, 1679-80. He married Mary Peacock, May
7, 1703. His father gave him a farm at Billerica,
adjoining his brother Andrew's. He inherited from
hi^ father also thirty-two acres at Content Plain,
eight acres in Mill swamp, called Black Hole. He
died intestate April 4, 1753, aged seventy-three
years. His widow Mary died October 18, 1756.
Children of Nathaniel and Mary Richardson were :
Mary, born March 31, 1704, married, August 17,
1647. settled in Townsend, Massachusetts; Nathaniel,
see forward ; Samuel, December 23, 1708, married
Hannah Walker; Sarah, March 8, 1710-11, died
April 18, 1712; William, May 5, 1713, married Mary
Hobart; Hezekiah, May 8, 1715, married Elizabeth
Walker; Ebenezer, September 24, 1717, died young;
Rebecca, May, 1720, married Benjamin Richardson;
Joseph, May 20, 1722, died at Northheld, his com-
pany was waylaid by Indians, killed and scalped,
June, 1747.

(IV) Nathaniel Richardson, second child of
Nathaniel Richardson (3), was born at Billerica,
Massachusetts, January 8, 1706-07. He settled in
Townsend, Massachusetts, and married (first), No-
vember 14, 1733, and (second) Elizabeth Stevens,
September 15, 1738. He died in Townsend, near the
close of the year 1756. Administration on his estate
was granted February 7, 1757- The following chil-
dren were living in 1757 : Elizabeth, born 1739, mar-
ried Captain Gershom Drury, of Temple, New
Hampshire ; Richard, see forward ; Nathaniel, born
1740; Thomas, born 1742, died about 1757; Sarah,
born about 1744; Joseph, born about 1746, married
Hannah Drury; Hannah, born about 1749. The
dates here given were estimated in the genealogy.

(V) Richard Richardson, son of Nathaniel
'Richardson (4), was born September II, 1738.

(There is probably an error of a year in either this
date or the date of the second marriage. The
genealogy gives the birth as 1741 ; according to the
death record he was born in 1736, and the correct
date is probably between 1738 and 1741.) He re-
moved from his native town, Townsend, Massa-
chusetts, in 1771 and was the second settler in the
town of Peterborough, New Hampshire. The first
was John Taggart. Richard Richardson was a sol-
dier in the revolution under General Benedict Ar-
nold in the famous Quebec expedition. He was also
in the French and Indian war. He was a farmer.
He cleared the farm now or lately owned by Isaac



94



WORCESTER COUNTY



P. Howe and died 1843, aged seventy-seven years,
at Stoddard, New Hampshire. His son John Rich-
ardson was the first child born in the town of Peter-
borough.

He married at Townsend, Massachusetts, March
4, 1761, Elizabeth Barrett, born in 1736. Their first
five children were born in Townsend, the others in
Peterboro and Stoddard. The children : Nathaniel,
born August 26, 1761 ; Phinehas, April 16, 1763, was
in Stoddard in 1784; Nathan, see forward; Rich-
ard was on the Stoddard tax list in 1784; Jere-
miah, September 16, 1768; John, July 25, 1770;
Theodore, January 24, 1773; Elizabeth, September 13,
1774; Rebecca, April 21, 1777; Theodore (twin).
April 21, 1793; Sally (twin), April 21, 1793; Nehe-
miah, October 29, 1809. Some of these children
were by a second wife, presumably the last three.

(VI) Nathan Richardson, third child of Richard
Richardson (5), was born at Townsend, Massachu-
setts, and removed with the family to Peterborough,
New Hampshire, when about five years old. The
Richardson place was in that part of the town which
became Stoddard. He was a farmer. In later years
he removed from Stoddard to Chazy, New York,
where he lived with his son, Nathaniel Richardson,
until his death in 1847. He was fond of horses
and horse-back riding and was a familiar figure to
the townspeople of Stoddard and Chazy. He was a
member of the Presbyterian church and held various
offices in the church. He was a Whig in politics
and held variou town offices in Stoddard. He was
a soldier in the war of 1812 in the same company
with his son, Nathaniel Richardson, Jr., They were
in the service at Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

He married Dorcas Dodge, born at Stoddard.
September 30, 1765, died August 13, 1834. Their
children were: Persis, born June 13, 1768; Mercy,
September 9, 1789; Sally, March 12, 1791 ; Nathaniel,
June 27, 1793; Nathan, Jr., October 3, 1795, see
forward; Jonas, June 11, 1798; Olive, January 30,
1801; Joseph, July 13, 1803; Asa, July 20, 1800; Lu-
ther, September 4, 1808.

(VII) Nathan Richardson, Jr., fifth child of
Nathan Richardson (6), was born in Peterborough,
now Stoddard, New Hampshire, October 3, 1795.
He attended the common schools of that town and
received an excellent education for his time. He
taught school in Stoddard when a young man. At
the age of eighteen he went to Chazy, New York,
where he bought a tract of land in the forest and
cleared his own farm. His first dwelling house
was a log cabin. He prospered and after a few
years built a substantial stone house, which is still
in the possession of the family and is now occupied
by his son, Robbins Richardson. He cut and sold
much timber from his farm, which proved an ex-
cellent investment. He was a member of the Pres-
byterian church at Chazy and was active in the
church management. In politics he was originally
a Whig, later a Republic. He served the town of
Chazy as school trustee and highway commissioner.
He was in the militia and was in the service at
Portsmouth for a short time in the war of 1812. At
the time of the Papineau Insurrection in Canada,
when trouble was feared with the United States,
he was drafted, (but hired a substitute, Abraham
Stevens) but the trouble was confined to a brief
civil war in Canada and was soon suppressed by
the British government and Canada was peacefully
united in 1841. It is called popularly the Papineau
war from its leader, Louis J. Papineau.

Mr. Richardson married (first), 1826, Huldah
Waters, born at Champlain, New York, August i-\
1S10, daughter of John and Huldah (Robbins)
Waters, formerly of Deerfield. Her father was a



farmer there. He married (second) Elizabeth J.
Toms, of Chazy. The children of Nathan, Jr., and
Huldah (Waters) Richardson were: John Nathan,
born April 14, 1827; Dorcas, born December 3,
1829, died 1893 ; Robbins, born June 5, 1832, resides
on old homestead in Chazy; George Nelson, born
August 2, 1834, died March 30, 1863, in the civil
war, in the hospital at Washington, D. C. ; Copeland,
born, March 9. 1837, in Minnesota; Charlotte Martha,
born October 19, 1839, married Samuel A. Reed,
now deceased ; she resides in Winchendon ; Esther
Rebecca, born March 13, 1842, married Thomas
Reed, resides in Lynn, Massachusetts ; Delia Lucre-
tia, born September 5, 1845, married Rev. H. H. An-
drews of Deckerville, Michigan ; Sarah Maria Anna,

born March 17, 1848, married Logee, in In-

gersoll, Ontario. The only child of Nathan. Jr.,
and Elizabeth (Toms) was: Susannah, born March
18, 1854, died March 18, 1878, married Wessley
Barker.

(VIII) John Nathan Richardson, eldest child of
Nathan Richardson, Jr. (7), was born in Chazy,
Clinton county, New York, April 14, 1827. He was
educated in the public schools and at an early age
began to teach. He worked on the farm during all
his spare hours during his boyhood. At the age of
sixteen he entered Champlain Academy at Cham-
plain, New York, where he studied two years. He
was also for a time clerk in the country store at
his native town. In the fall of 1845 ne went to
Stoddard, New Plampshire, and subsequently re-
moved to Winchendon, Massachusetts, where he
worked in the pail factory with Albert Richardson
and also for a time followed logging for Reuben
Harris. After two years he returned to Chazy and
taught school there during the winter term of 1847-
48. He studied another term in Champlain Acad-
emy, and then returned to Winchendon and was
employed by Mr. Harris in the pail making busi-
ness. He then entered the employ of Damon &
Murdock at State Line in the same line of business
and remained there for five years, residing in
Rindge, New Hampshire. Here he cast his first
vote for John P. Hale.

He left the pail making business to accept a po-
sition as station agent at State Line on what is now
the Boston & Maine Railroad. Shortly afterward
he established a general store there and carried on
an extensive business for twenty years. He re-
moved to Winchendon May 1, 1S74, and shortly
after opened a shoe store in partnership with his
son. Soon afterward, however, he entered into
partnership with Robbins & Richardson in the gro-
cery business; and his son continued the shoe busi-
ness, firm of J. Richardson and Son. Mr. Robbins
sold his interests in the firm to Charles A. Smith
soon afterward and the firm became Richardson &
Smith. After eight years of successful business
Mr. Richardson sold his interests to his partner and
returned to the shoe store, which he conducted
until April. 1893, when he sold it to George M.
Chapman. Since then Mr. Richardson has not been
in active business, but has devoted his attention to
his property and real estate interests. His home
is on School street. He was one of the founders,
July 15, 1S66, and is a member of the Church of
the Trinitv (Unitarian), and chairman of the stand-
ing committee ; only ten of the original founders are
now (1906) living. He is a Republican in politics
and while living in Fitzwilliam. New Hampshire,
represented that, town in the legislature two years,
the second year receiving the unanimous nomina-
tion. During the civil war Mr. Richardson filled
the quota of his town by paying for substitutes for
various citizens drafted for the service. He was



WORCESTER COUNTY



95



at one time a member of the Fitzwilliam Ar-
tillery.

tie married, July I, 1849, Joanna Maria Cook,

born August 15, 1825, daughter ot John and

(.bialsj Cook. Her father was a farmer. He mar-
ried (.second) Sarah Ann Reed, of Durham, Can-
ada, widow of his brother, George Nelson Richard-
son. Children of John N. and Joanna Richardson
were: I. Eugene Fercival, born Aiay 11, 185b, was
educated in the common and high schools of Win-
chendon, and business college at Worcester. Then
for nine years was engaged in the shoe business,
and then began traveling and followed this for
nine years. Then took a position with the Book
Lovers' Library, travelling along the coast as far
norm as Seattle, and later going to San Francisco,
where he located and here passed through the
awlui catastrophe that befell this city by earthquake
and fire. He then received an oftice from the gov-
ernment through Colonel Breckenridge, in charge
of tne sanitary arrangements at Golden City Park,
wiiere he is at this date (.1906). He married (first)
Nellie Leland, (second) Hattie Williams, of Wor-
cester. 2. Elbe Eugenie, born April 29, 1859, married
(hrst) Martin L. Bartlett; (second) Charles A.
Andrews, of Winchendon. By Mr. Bartlett three
cmidxen were born: 1. John P., married Sadie Cam-
eron, had two children; Wallace and Martin Lewis.
Mr. John P. Bartlett is in the auto transit busi-
ness in Winchendon, being president of the com-
pany. 2. Ray P., now in high school. 3. Edith, now
in high school.

WALLACE WITHERILL. William Witherill
or Wetherell (1), variously spelled, was the immi-
grant ancestor of Wallace Witherill, of Winchendon,
-Massachusetts. Savage suggests that he may have
been a nephew of the Rev. William Witherill, who
came from Maidstone, England, with wife Mary,
three children and a servant, in the ship "Hercules"
of Sandwich, March 14, 1634-35. Rev. William
Witherill was a graduate of Corpus Christi College,
Cambridge, July 3, 1619, from county York, took
degree of B. A. and later M. A., was licensed as of
iiiaidstone, aged about twenty-rive, to marry Mary
Fisher, daughter of Joan Martin Fisher, now wife
01 John Martin, March 26, 1627. He settled at
Charlestown and taught the grammar school, re-
moved to Cambridge, thence to Duxbury, where he
was a proprietor in 1640 ; was called as minister to
the Scituate church in September, 1644, and filled
that position the remainder of his life; died April
9, 1684, aged eighty-tour years.

William Witherill, the nephew, came in 1643 as
a cabin boy for William Dunn, captain of the vessel,
and one of the original grantees of the town of
Taunton, Massachusetts. Dunn returned to Eng-
land, leaving the boy in charge of his property with
the understanding that if he did not return that it
should escheat to William Witherill. He died with-
out returning and Witherill had the property in
addition to land granted to him. He was admitted
a freeman June, 1658, was constable of Taunton in
"1662 and representative to the general court in 1671-
85. He was often selectman and was sergeant of
the militia company.

He was the eldest sergeant in Captain Gorham's
company in the Narragansett swamp fight, Decem-
ber, 1675, at South Kingston, Rhode Island; was
wounded and taken to the house of Peleg Sanford,
December 24, 1675, where he remained until Octo-
ber 17, 1676. The general court granted him ten
pounds compensation in 16S5 and five pounds in
1686. Evidently he never wholly recovered from
his wounds. He owned besides his own and Captain



Dunn's rights in Taunton another in the South Pur-
chase and a half right in the North Purchase. His
residence after 1669 was in the North Purchase of
Taunton, now Norton, Massachusetts, on the east-
ern side of Winniconnet pond. In 1691 he had his
dwelling house on the south side of the pond, and
in 1690 had deeded part of the land on the east
side to his son William, including probably the site
of the first house, which very likely was destroyed
during King Philip's war. He sold his original
home lot in Taunton, April 29, 1669, with other
lands on and near Mill river. In 1685 he was
licensed to keep a tavern. He made his will Au-
gust 15, 1691, and died within a month or so. His
will was proved November 18 following.

He married Dorothy , about 1650. Their

children were: William, born about 1651, see for-
ward; John, settled in Norton; Ephraim; Dorothy,
married, August 26, 1674, Elias Irish; (second),
April 1, r686, William Wood.

(II) William Witherill, son of William Wither-
ill (1), was born about 165 1, in Taunton, Massa-
chusetts. He settled on land given him by his
father on the east side of Wenniconnet pond in that

part of Taunton, now Norton. Seven or more gen-
erations of his family named William Witherill have
lived there. He married Elizabeth Newland, March
14, 1681. Their children were: Nathaniel, see for-
ward; Hannah, baptized June 15. 1715; Mary, bap-
tized February 17, 1714-15; William, Jr., Jeremiah.

(III) Nathaniel Witherill, son of William With-
erill (2), was born in Norton, Massachusetts, March
5 or May 5, 1696. He settled in Norton, where his
children were born. They were : Phebe, born No-
vember 20, 1712, died June 11, 1729; Mary, born
.May 3, 1715; Nathaniel, January 18, 1717; Charity,
January 7, 1719; Ephraim, November 22, 1721 ;
Dinah, May 5, 1723 ; Job, see forward ; Patience,
July 3, 1728; Solomon, October 7, 1730, died March
J. 1733; Hannah, February 8, 1739.

(IV) Job Witherill, seventh child of Nathaniel
Witherill (3), was born at Norton, Massachusetts,

March 22, 1726. He married Jean , and

they settled in Norton. He was a soldier in the
Indian wars. Their children, all born at Norton,
were : David, see forward ; Molly, born August 10,
1747; Anne, December 13, 1749; Nathaniel, No-
vember 27, 1752; Nathan, December 7, 1756.

(V) David Witherill, eldest child of Job With-
erill (4), was born in Norton, Massachusetts, July
8, 1745. He was a soldier in the revolution, a pri-
vate in Captain Israel Trow's company in the Rhode
Island compaign, August, 1780, and probably had
other service. He was the only one of the name in
the American army. He removed to Connecticut
and married Ruth Andre, said to be a relative of
Major Andre who was hanged as a spy by the
Americans. About 1782-83 he removed from Hart-
ford, Connecticut, to Granville, Washington county,
New York, where he was one of the pioneer set-
tlers. Children of David and Ruth (Andre) With-
erill, born in Granville. New York, except perhaps
the eldest, were: Almon M., died in West Chazy,
New York; David J., see forward; Harlow C,
died in South Bend, Indiana ; Colney, died in Wis-
consin : Prudence, married Moses Warren; Daniel
(M. D.), died in western New York; Albert, died
in Moriah, New York; Amos, Frank, died in Gran-
ville, aged nineteen years ; Eunice, married Benja-
min Russell ; Rev. Manley, was a member of the
Troy (New York) -Methodist conference ; Martha
(twin), married J. Council ; Mary (twin), married
Oliver Rogers.

(VI) David J. Witherill, son of David With-
erill (5), was born in Granville. Washington county,



9 6



WORCESTER COUNTY



New York, aboul 1785. He received a common
school education there and learned the trade of tan-
ner and shoe maker. Although he owned a farm,
he followed his trade and acquired a competence
in this business. He served in a Washington county
regiment in the war of 1812 and was in the cam-
paign at Plattsburg. About 1815, after the war,
lie removed to Chazy, Clinton county, and settled
with his family on his farm in the western part
of the town. He was for many years constable in
Chazy and was also on the school board there. He
was a Methodist in Religion and a Whig in politics.
He married, March 11, 1819, Amanda Parish,
who died July 30, 1851. He married (second)
Cynthia Wait Parker, April 24, 1853 ; she died Au-
gust 16, 1896. Children of David J. and Amanda
Witherill were: Lucy Elmina, born March 2, 1820,
at Granville, New York, died June 3, 1844; mar-
ried, March 23, 1841, Morrison Townsend ; Orville,
born April 19, 1824, in Canton, New York, died May
17, 1824; Emily Elzina, born December 26, 1825, at
Canton, died January, 1899; married Morrison Town-
send, October 16, 1854; Clarissa Emorette, born
July 9, 1832, at Chazy, New York; Orville W. M.,
known as Wallace, born December 2, 1835, at
Chazy, see forward; Daniel Mirvin, born October
8, "1838, at Chazy, married, October, 1864, Millie
Wheelock'; Elmira Celeste, born October 10, 1839,
at Chazy, married William W. Harvey November
24, 1869; Lavinia Cornelia, born January 11, 1842,
at Chazy, died February 2^, 1876; marritd Thomas
J. Coone, August 11, 1868. Children of David J.
and Cynthia Wait Witherill were : Florence May,
born April 1, 1854. at Chazy, married John W.
Lengfield. February 23. 1887, resides at West Chazy,
New York; David Gerry - , born July 5, 1855, at
Chazy, married, January 12, 1887, Sylvia A. Wheeler,
and their children are: Harry David, born June
17, 1888, at Sheldon, North Dakota; Elwyn Wheeler,
born May 13, 1893, at Chazy, New York; they re-
side in Cornish, New Hampshire ; Ruphina Estelle,
born February 10, 1859, married, September 9, 1885,
Wilbur F. Hill.

(VII) Wallace Witherill, son of David J.
Witherill (6), was born at West Chazy, Clinton
county, New York, December 2, 1835. He received
his early education in the common schools of that
town. In 1854 he and his brother Daniel Mirvin
came to Winchendon, Massachusetts, and were em-
ployed, by Aldrich Brothers, pail manufacturers,
driving. He worked twelve years in this position.
They sold out to E. Murdock & Company and he
continued there two years in same position. He
then began business on his own account in company
with Harrison Aldrich. They bought a factory at
Harrisville, where they began to manufacture pails
and boxes. After eight years Mr. Aldrich's inter-
ests were bought by Charles Fry. Soon afterward,
Mr. Witherill withdrew from the firm, selling his
interests to his partner, but continued in his em-
ploy for eighteen months. Mr. Witherill then re-
sumed the lumber business in Waterville, buying
wood lots and selling the lumber, doing his own
teaming. This has been his business since, together
with farming. Most of his timber is cut for the
wooden-ware factories in the vicinity. He resides at
Waterville, in Winchendon. In politics he is a Dem-
ocrat. He is a member of the Manomonack Lodge,
Odd Fellows, No. 121, of Winchendon.

He married, July 25, 1878, Maria Ellis, born No-
vember 28, 1857, in Fitzwilliam, daughter of George
W. and Bethia (Pratt) Ellis, of Fitzwilliam. New
Hampshire. Her father was a farmer in Fitzwilliam,
where he died 1885, aged seventy-seven ; the mother
died in 1870, aged fifty-two. Their children were :



Florence Amanda, born April 19, 1882, died Septem-
ber 14, 1S82; Cortland Wallace, born September 28,
1883 ; Birdys Maria, born October 23, 1897.

PARKER FAMILY. Nathan Parker (1), the
immigrant ancestor of the Parker family, was born
111 England in 1622. He was early at Newbury, but
soon removed with his brother Joseph to Andover,
Massachusetts. Joseph came in the ship "Confi-
dence," sailing April 11, 1638, and Nathan is be-
lieved to have been on the "Bevis," sailing in May
of the same year. Joseph came from Newbury,
England, and settled in Newbury, Massachusetts;
was proprietor at Salisbury in 1639; removed to
Andover where he owned a tannery and corn mill ;
was a soldier in King Philip's war in 1676; men-
tions his large family in his will ; also brother
Nathan ; bequeaths estate in England, some of which
was at Rumsey. Nathan Parker was well educated
and drew many of the papers for his neighbors now
found in the county and town files. Perhaps he was
a public scrivener by profession. He was one of
the first ten members of the Andover church estab-
lished in 1645. He died June 25, 1685, leaving an
estate valued at one hundred and forty-eight pounds,
about a quarter of the size of his brother's estate.
Two sons of Nathan were killed by the Indians in
the fight at Scarboro, Maine.

He married, November 10, 1648, Susan Short,
who died at Andover, August 26, 1651. He mar-
ried (second) Mary вАҐ , who survived him. Chil-
dren of Nathan and Susan Parker were : Nathan,
Jr., John, born December 20, 1653; James, August
14, 1655, Mary, April 14, 1657; Hanna, May 14,
1659; Mary, 1660; Elizabeth, January 20, 1663; Rob-
ert, February 26, 1665; Sarah (twin), April 3, 1670;
Peter (twin), April 3, 1670.

(II) John Parker, second child of Nathan Par-
ker (1), was born in Andover, Massachusetts, De-
cember 26, 1653, died 1738, aged eighty-five years,
at Andover. He was a soldier in King Philip's
war. He settled in Andover. He married there,
May 24, 1687, Hannah Brown. Their children
were: John, Nathan, see forward; Benjamin, set-
tled in Pennacook (Concord), New Hampshire;
James, also settled in Concord; Joseph, who settled
in Concord, said to be a brother of the other three
who settled there.

(III) Nathan Parker, son of John Parker (2),
was born in Andover, Massachusetts, about 1700.
He attended the meeting February 5, 1725, and was
one of the proprietors of Pennacook. In 1731 he
had a house built on the grant and was living there
with his family. His brothers, Benjamin, James
and Joseph, also settled in Pennacook (Concord)
and Benjamin's descendants are found there at pres-
ent. Nathan seems to have returned to Andover.

I [e married, June 26, 1735. Hannah Stevens, of
Andover, perhaps his second wife. Among their
children was John, see forward.

(IV) Lieutenant John Parker, son of Nathan
Parker (3), was born in Andover, Massachusetts,
May 19, 1742, died December 15, 1814, aged seventy-
three years, at Westford, Massachusetts, where his
son went to live. He was a prominent figure in
the revolution. He went out first in Captain Thomas
Poor's company of Andover, Colonel James Frye's



Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 28 of 133)