Ellery Bicknell Crane.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) online

. (page 38 of 133)
Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 38 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Elizabeth, Martha, Mary, John L.

HENRY MARTIN HAYWARD. William
Hay ward (1), the immigrant ancestor of Henry
Martin Hayward, deceased, late of Winchendon,
Massachusetts, was born in England or Ireland.
Thomas Hayward, of Duxbury and Bridgewater,
with whom he seems to have been connected was
from Aylesford, England. There is a tradition in
the family that the early ancestors came from Den-
mark and settled in Ireland. There is another tra-
dition also to the effect that the founders of this
family in America were, when children, induced to
go aboard ship just before sailing and were brought
to this country and bound out to a farmer to pay
their passage. In all likelihood, however, the name
and family is English although it may have origi-
nated in England with the conquest of the Danes.
The name is spelled Hawared, Haywood, Heywood,
Heyward, Haiward and in fact as many ways as
human ingenuity can devise, and there is no more
difficult name to trace through the maze of bad
spelling and numerous individuals of the same name
in the same towns.

William Hayward was first of Charlestown,
Massachusetts, in 1637. He was of age when the
colony was settled and a proprietor in the year men-
tioned. He removed to Braintree, whence perhaps
the tradition that the first comers settled in Ded-
ham, which is a neighboring town. One John Hay-
ward who lived in Dedham died without having
sons to perpetuate his name. William was deputy
to the general court in 1641 from Braintree. He
signed his own name William Haywood, as witness
to a deed of William Everill in 1654. He was
drowned May 10, 1659, when probably about forty-
five years of age, and when most of his children
were minors. Administration was granted June
14, 1659, to his widow Margery for herself and
children. She died July 18. 1676. The administra-
tion of her estate was granted August 1, 1676, to
her son Jonathan. The names of their children
as far as known were: Samuel, first of the name
to locate in Mendon where his brother-in-law, Ferd-
inando Thayer, located. (He bought a house lot
April 6, 1672, and later acquired five hundred to
one thousand acres. His descendants in Mendon
and Milford, formerly part of Mendon, have been
very numerous. Ballon believes that he came from
Swansea as well as his brother William and Jona-
than, whom Ballou thinks a younger brother, but
who was son of William.) William, see forward.
Jonathan, married. May 6, 1663, Sarah Thayer, of
Braintree ; he settled in Braintree and had a large
family there : he may have owned land also at Men-
don ; he may even have lived there for some time,
but his permanent home was in Braintree. Huldah,
married. February 14, 1652, Ferdinando Thayer, the
progenitor of the Thayers of Mendon and all Wor-
cester county. Perhaps other branches of the Hay-
ward family are from this family.

(II) William Hayward, younger son of William
Hayward (1). was born in Braintree or vicinity
about 1750. Her father was drowned in 1659, and
he seems to have gone to live with relatives at
Bridgewater and Duxbury, where several branches
of the Hayward family were living, but the exact



relationship seems impossible to determine. Will-
iam first appears on the public records at Swansea,
near Duxbury, 1672, the same year that William

married Sarah and their children are all

recorded at Swansea. William appears to have had
land at Mendon as well as his brothers, and his
sons Jonathan, Samuel and William settled there
or in the vicinity, but he may have lived at Swan-
sea all his life. Apparently the author of the Mil-
ford history believes he settled about the time that
his son Jonathan came to Mendon. He calls Jona-
than a brother of Samuel and William. He had
brothers of that name, but the two first settlers
were his father William and uncle Samuel. Chil-
dren of William and Sarah Hayward, born at
Swansea, were: Jonathan, born April 8, 1672, see
forward ; Margery, named for her grandmother,
Margery (Thayer) Hayward; Sarah, born March
2 , '675-76, named for her mother ; Mercy, born
June 9, 1678; William, born January 30, 1680-81,.
named for father and grandfather; Samuel, named
for uncle ; Huldah, born March 13, 1685, named for
aunt who married the Thayer progenitor of Men-
don; Oliver, born March 17, 1687; Hannah, born
March 11, 1689.

(III) Jonathan Hayward, eldest son of William
Hayward (2), was born in Swansea, Massachu-
setts, April 8, 1672. He came to Mendon when
under age and lived with his uncle, Samuel Hay-
ward. He fell in love with a Mendon girl, in spite
of her name, Trial Rockwood, daughter of the first
John Rockwood, of Mendon. She was born in
1676-77. From the fact that their eldest child ap-
pears on the Swansea records it is presumed that
Jonathan took his bride to Cape Cod for a few
years. He returned to Mendon and before 1710
located his home northeast of Bear hill, near Great
meadow, and became a large landowner. He had
several hundred acres from the Sherborn road
south along Beaver street beyond the junction with
Mount Pleasant street. He married (second)

Grace , about 1705. Children of Jonathan

and Trial Hayward were : Sarah, born December
17, 1694, at Swansea; William, born January 30,
1696-97, see forward; Jonathan, Jr., born April 8,
1699, married January 22, 1717. Lydia Albee. set-
tled in Mendon; David, born July 8, 1701, at Men-
don. Children of Jonathan and Grace, all born at
Mendon, were: Joseph, born May 15, 1706; John,
born February 4, 1709, married, March 6, 1728-29;
Samuel, born March 11, 1716; Trial, born April
2 5. ' ! 7 I 7< married John Hayward, April 3, 1740;
Sarah, born April 25, 1718 ; Elizabeth.

(IV) William Hayward, son of Jonathan Hay-
ward (3). was born at Mendon, Massachusetts,
January 30, 1696-97, died in Westmoreland, now
Surrey. New Hampshire, August 10, 1768. He mar-
ried Joanna , born in Mendon, probably 1686,

died in Westmoreland, November 2, 1767. Their
gravestones may be seen in the old burying ground
in the southern part of Surrey, New Hampshire.
Children of William and Joanna Hayward were :
Martha, Joanna, married Benjamin Carter, the pio-
neer of the name in Surry ; Rachel, Daniel, William,
Peter, see forward.

(V) Peter Hayward. son of William Hayward
(4), was born in Mendon, Massachusetts, in 1725.
He was the first settler in Westmoreland, New
Hampshire, removing from Mendon about 1752, to
the part now Surry, New Hampshire. The mother
came on horseback, carrying three little ones, one
in her lap and two in baskets hung on each side of
the horse. Peter Hayward established his home in
the wilderness and built his house which is still
in good repair, 1881. In 1755, during the Indian



*9 m



%



i




_.




i^z^



«^r



WORCESTER COUNTY



129



outbreaks in the French and Indian war, he was
obliged to hurry his family to the fort at Keene
for protection against Indians. He went with the
company in pursuit of a hand that had killed one
woman at the very gate of the fort. He was one
of the incorporators of Gilsum. New Hampshire,
March 2, 1769. He served in the revolution with
his son Silvanus. It is related that Peter Hay-
ward went to the battle of Bunker Hill wearing
a leather apron and taking his dog with him, and
that after the ammunition failed he was a con-
spicuous figure in charging bayonets, still accom-
panied with the dog. He died in Surry, New Hamp-
shire. August 1, I/9I-

He married (first) Ruth Rutter, of Mendon,
Massachusetts, who died in Surry, October 10, 1761.
He married (second), June 2, 1762, Esther Holmes,
of Ashford or Mansfield. Connecticut. She died
in Surry. May 28, 1782. He married (third). May
6, 1783, Mrs. Hannah Fay. Children of Peter and
Ruth Hayward were: Peter. Deborah, married
Nathaniel Dart ; Huldah, married Jonathan Smith ;
Rachel, married Jonathan Carpenter : Silvanus, see
forward; William, married Lucy Russell. Chil-
dren of Peter and Esther Hayward were : Ruth,
married Benjamin Carpenter, Jr.: Molly, married
Moses Field : Calvin, married Lucinda Field ; Elias,
married Lena Smith : Esther, married Solomon
Mack.

(VI) Silvanus Hayward, son of Peter Hay-
ward (5), was born in Westmoreland, New Hamp-
shire, now Surry, May 16, 1757. He bought the
west half of the eleventh lot, sixth range, for
thirty-eight pounds in April, 1791. It was then a
thick dark swamp and people laughed at his folly
in selecting such a homestead. He afterward
bought a strip from the lot west of his, so that he
owned all the village south of Dr. Webster's. He
built a log house in 1791. Fourteen years later he
built another and better one. Having a taste for
study he managed to fit himself for college, and he
entered Dartmouth in 1780. He was in college with
the notorious Stephen Burroughs. In his junior
year he found it impossible to continue for want
of funds, his father being able to assist him but
little. He received a certificate from President
Wheelock written on parchment, valued under the
circumstances as much as a diploma. He married
soon afterward and settled in Surry, where he lived
for eight or nine years, when he removed to a lot
of sixty acres in the northwest part of Gilsum. He
remained there only a year, sold out and returned
to Surry, but returned again to Gilsum the next
year and lived on his old place while clearing what
is now the village.

Having both a theoretical and practical acquaint-
ance with the art of surveying, he was extensively
employed in that profession. He was a noted school
master, teaching for many winters after he came to
Gilsum. He also taught singing school and played
the bass viol in the church choir many years. He
served the town frequently as moderator and was
selectman three years. He was a ready speaker
and often conducted religious meetings. In 1795
he built a saw mill and in 1806 began to burn brick
on his place. He was a soldier in the revolution
in Colonel Ashley's regiment (seventh company),
marching to the relief of Ticonderoga in June. 1777.

He married (first), April 1, 1783, Olive Metcalf,
born at Wrentham. Massachusetts. December 10,
1756, daughter of John and Abigail (Fisher) Met-
calf. She died July 19. 1799. He married (second),
February 19, 1781, Lucinda Lee Champlin, born
at Lyme, Connecticut, April 13, 1769. died Septem-
ber 2, 180S. He married (third), August io, 1810,
ii— 9



Mary Webb, of Rockingham. Vermont. He died
October 1, 1817. Children of Silvanus and Olive
Hayward were : Claudius Drusus, born at Frank-
lin. November 15, 1783, died at Saratoga, New
York, March 20, 1839 ; married Sally Redding and
had nine children. Clarissa Harlow, born at Surry,
March 17, 1786, died at Dublin, May 2, 181 1 ; mar-
ried, April 29, 1807, Levi Willard and they had
two children. Horace, born Surry, May 2, 1787,
died at Wooster, Ohio, August 3, 1869; married
(first) Lydia_ White and had six children; married
(second) Abigail Weed and had one son. Am-
herst, born in Surry. November 18, 1788. see for-
ward. Julia Harcourt, born March 21, 1790, died
March 23, 1816. Olive Metcalf, born in Surry, July
19. 1 791, died at Newton, Massachusetts, October
30, 1858; married, March 12, 1812, Levi Willard and
had five children. Emily, born at Surry, Septem-
ber 9, 1792, died February 22, 1813. Rachel, born
December 10, 1794, died 1830: married Courtenay
Brigham and had one child. Huldah, born Febru-
ary 25, 1798. died September 3, 1859 ; married
Thomas Simpkins and had six children. Theron,
born July 12, 1799, died May 7, 1875; married
(first), December 6, 1827, Calista Webster and had
five children; married (second), December, 1864,
Ann W. Farman. William, born May 21, 1802,
married Hannah Davis. Harriet, born August r.
1804, died December 30, 1875 ; married Daniel Deets
and had four children. George Champlin, born
December 20, 1806, married, June 29, 1834, Esther
Patten Wilkins and had six children.

(VII) Amherst Hayward, son of Silvanus Hay-
ward (6), was born at Surry. New Hampshire,
November 18, 1788. When about four years old
he removed with his parents to Gilsum, New Hamp-
shire. He was brought up by Colonel Jonathan
Smith, who married his father's sister. He received
a good education in the district schools of Gilsum.
After his marriage in 181 1 he went to live with
Colonel Smith in Rockingham, Vermont,' but in
December, 1S15, returned to Gilsum to live. He
was with his father the first year, then just above
the village. This was the famous cold season when
frosts came every month in the year and food was
scarce. He managed to procure what was necessary
to buy for his family by peeling and selling birch
brooms at nine pence apiece. The spring after his
father's death he settled on the homestead and
lived there the remainder of his life following farm-
ing and by great industry and careful management
he acquired a comfortable competence. He was a
man of sound judgment and good character, ar.i
earnest advocate of temperance and was the first
man in town to raise a building without providing
liquor for his neighbors who came to help. He
was a decided anti-slavery man and a public speaker
of considerable ability. He was gifted like his
father with musical ability ; he led the choir and
played the bass viol in church for forty years. He
was a deacon of the Congregational church for
twenty years. He built a saw mill in 1820 and a
shoe shop in 1835 for A. W. Kingsbury. He was
active in town affairs and served as constable nine
years, school committee in 1822 and selectman one
year. He died January 16. 1867.

He married (first). February 24, 1811, Betsey
Cole, born in Orange, Massachusetts, September 11,
1702. died August 9, 1820, daughter of John and
Pollv (Bemis) Cole. He married (second), June
29. 1821, Polly Cole, born in Gardner. Massachu-
setts, August 28. 1800, died November 21, 1826.
She was a sister of his first wife. He married
(third). December 18. 1827, Sarah Fish, who died
August 16, 1883. Children of Amherst and Betsey



13°



WORCESTER COUNTY



(Cole) Hayward were: Jonathan Smith, born in
Rockingham, Vermont, December II, 1811. died
March 4, 1S13. Louisa, born in Rockingham, Ver-
mont. August 27, 1813, died August 10, 1815. Am-
herst, born October 23, 1815, died December 17,
181 5. Nahum Osgood, born September 8, 1817, mar-
ried, February 21, 1841, Hannah Glover and they
had four children — Mary Elizabeth, George Nahum,
Caroline Elizabeth, Theron. Olive Metcalf, still
living (1906), born July 22, 1819, married, April 4,
1839, Jeremiah Abbott and they have four children
— Ellen Jane, George, Frank, Lizzie Emma. Chil-
dren of Amherst and Polly Hayward were: Julia
Ann, born May 23, 1822, died July 25, 1866 ; mar-
ried Aaron D. Damm and had one child — Damon.
Henry Martin, born November I, 1823, see forward.
Cludius Buchanan, born February 23, 1825, still liv-
ing (1906) ; married May Louisa Dart and had five
children — Olive Mary, Edith Theodo, Dan Ambrose,
Julia Antoinette, Elbridge Thurston, Harry Mar-
tin. Children of Amherst and Sarah Hayward were:
Mary Elizabeth, born November 1, 1826, died May 2,
1S27. Silvanus, born December 3, 1828, married No-
vember 23, 1853, Harriet Elvira Eaton, born April 6,
1829, a descendant of Francis Eaton, who came in
the "Mayflower"; they had five children — Arthur
Jameson, Belle, Grace, Paul, John Stark. Ebenezer,
born November 15, 1830, died November 15, 1830.
Clarissa, born August 20, 1831, died August 20,
1831. Betsey, born August 3, 1833, died April 2,
1835. Sarah Jane, born October 23, 1835. Emily
Graham, born February 8, 183S, died April 16, 1866.
Esther White, born December 6, 1841, married,
March 5, 1866.

(VIII) Henry Martin Hayward, son of Amherst
Hayward (7), was born at Gilsum, New Hampshire,
November 1. 1823. He attended the district school
and helped on his father's farm until about seven-
teen years old, when he removed to Westminster.
Vermont, to work on a farm, going to school there
and later at Gilsum in the winter term. When he
came of age he went to work in a bakery in Bos-
ton. In 1846, two years later, he went to Winchen-
don, Massachusetts, and learned the carpenter's
trade of Sidney Fairbanks. He worked for Mr.
Fairbanks some four years, then for Murdock &
Fairbanks at Glenallen, part of Winchendon, hav-
ing charge of the repairs in this wooden-ware fac-
tory. After a few years he was made superinten-
dent of the factory. He remained in that position
until Captain Ephraim Murdock died in 1882, when
the business was sold to Wilder P. Clark. Mr.
Hayward remained in the position of superintendent
for two or three years until the plant was moved to
the village. Mr. Hayward was with Mr. Clark until
1801. when the plant was moved to Waterville,
when he retired after thirty-six years of active
service in this business at seventy years of age.
He owned a farm in the north part of Winchendon
and took much pleasure in cultivating it. He died
at Winchendon, January 4, 1906. at his residence
on Lincoln avenue, corner of Grove street. In
early life he attended the Orthodox church, but in
later years was a Unitarian and was connected with
the Church of the Unity In politics he was fir^t a
Whig and after the Republican party came into
existence he supported it. He ms a delegate to
the famous Gardner and Benchlev Know-Nothing
partv convention. He was an a c se*sor of the town
of Winchendon from 1804 to 1S00 inclusive. He
was for a number of years one of the board of fire
engineers He belonged to no serc<*t societies. In
In, vounger days be was a sereeanl in the New
Hampshire militia, and later also in Winchendon.



He married, August 22, 1850, Lucinda Taft, born
August 18, 1827, daughter of Hervey and Fidelia
(Raymond) Taft, of Royalston, Massachusetts. Her
father was a farmer and prominent in the militia.
1 he children of Henry Martin and Luncinda Hay-
ward were : George Amherst, born January 9, 1853,
in Winchendon, married Jane Rosetta Betterly, of
Clinton, and their children are — Clarence Edwin,
born March 1, 1883; Mary Austin, born February
18, 1884, died November 21, 1884; Bernice May,
born December 24, 1886; Olive Cleona, born April
8, 1892, died June 18, 1895. Edwin Dana, born Jan-
uary 23, 1857, married Mary Wright, of Keene, New
Hampshire, and they have four children — Ralph
Edwin, born April 21, 1889; Paul Bertram, June
4. 1S91 : Don Martin. July I, 1893 ; Albert Wright,
May, 1897. Edwin Dana Hayward, bookkeeper, re-
sides in Keene.

JOHN MARTIN HAGER. William Hager or
Hagar (1), one of the pioneers at Watertown,
Massachusetts, was the immigrant ancestor of John
Martin Hager, of Winchendon, Massachusetts. He
was born in England about 1625, and married in
Watertown, March 20, 1644-45, Mary Bemis, daugh-
ter of Joseph and Mary Bemis, pioneer settlers of
Watertown. (See sketch of the Bemis Family of
Worcester, descended from the same immigrant an-
cestors.) Names like Hagar and Harrington were
frequently spelled as they were pronounced by the
Englishman who dropped his "H's" then as at the
present time. The surnames Agar and Ager are
from this same family.

William Hagar was a man of good social stand-
ing, not particularly active in public affairs, but it
is to be noted that his children married into the
best families of the town. He died January 10,
1683-84, and his will, dated January 10, 1683-84,
the day of his death, was proved April I, following.
His aged widow died December, 1695. Their chil-
dren were : Mary, born December 25, 1645, died
young; Ruhamah (twin), November 20, 1647, mar-
ried Joseph Wait; Samuel (twin), born November
20, 1647, see forward ; Hannah, November 21, 1649,

married Priest; Sarah, September 3, 1651,

died March 7, 1746; married Nathaniel Whitney;
Susanna Grout, William, February 12, 1658-59, died
May 8, 1731 ; Rebecca, October 28, 1661, married
Nathaniel Healy ; Abigail, about 1665, married,
March 30, 1687, Benjamin Whitney; Mehitable, mar-
ried, June 20, 1687, Nathaniel Norcross.

(II) Samuel Hager, third child of William
Hager (1), was born in Watertown, Massachusetts,
November 20, 1647, married Sarah Mixer. He died
February 13, 1704-05, and his widow Sarah died at
Waltham, 1745. His will was dated May 27, 1704.
He was admitted a freeman April 18, 1690. Chil-
dren of Samuel and Sarah Hager were : Sarah, born
in Watertown, baptized May 24, 1691 ; married, Au-
gust 19, 1717, Joseph Stratton, of Watertown; Mary,
baptized July 25, 1697; Samuel, born September 1,
1698 ; Isaac, see forward.

(III) Isaac Hager, youngest son of Samuel
Hager (2), was born in Watertown, Massachusetts,
April 24, 1701. He married, July 16, 1724, Pru-
dence Allen, born May 18, 1703, daughter of Joseph
and Elizabeth Allen. Children of Isaac and Pru-
dtnce Hager were: Isaac, born May 5, 1725; John,
September 17, 1726-, see forward ; Elisha, February
rS 1727-28: Daniel, January 17, 1728-30, died Au-
gust 3, 1738; Elizabeth, October 8. 1732, died Au-
gust 17. 1750: Mary, May 18, 1736, married Samuel
Garfield; Lydia. January 15, 1736-37, died July 30,

1; Eunice, May 24, 1730, died July 20, 1740;



WORCESTER COUNTY



131



Daniel, February 28, 1740-41 ; Lydia, December 8,
1742; Nathan. January 26, 1744; Eunice, June 26,

1748.

(.IV) John Hagar, son of Isaac Hagar (3), was
born in Weston, Massachusetts, September 17, 1726.
Bond says that he removed to Groton in 1755, but
he seems to have been a soldier from Weston during
the revolution. John Hagar, of Weston, was in
Captain Seth Washburn's company, Colonel Jona-
than Ward's regiment, in 1775. He was in Captain
Charles Miles' company, Colonel Jonathan Reed's
regiment, in 1777; in Captain Jonathan Fisk's com-
pany of Weston, Colonel Brooks' regiment, in
1776, and Captain Simon Hunt's company, Colonel
Brooks' regiment, in I777-7&. He married, January
14, 1746, Hannah Stearns, married (second), Jan-
uary 0, 1757, Sarah Child. Children of John and
Hannah Hager were: Hannah, born April 9, 1748,
married, 1771, Eben Hubbard, of Dudley; William,
April 12, 1749; Amos, February 8, 1750-51, mar-
ried Anna Harrington; John, June 13, 1752, died
young; Joel, May 18, 1753; John, October 6, 1754,
died young; John, see forward; Stephen, Novem-
ber 26, 1759; Lucy, October 8, 1760, died Decem-
ber 27, 1842.

(V) John Hagar, son of John Hagar (4), was
born in Groton or Weston, October 6, 1757. He was
a soldier in the revolution as well as his father. He
was late in life a revolutionary pensioner as papers
on file in the Worcester probate office prove. John
Hagar, then of Shrewsbury, was in Captain Job
Cushing's company, Colonel Artemas Ward's regi-
ment, in 1775. Two years later, in 1777, he was in
Captain Asa How's company, Colonel Wing Spoon-
er's regiment, and also in Captain Benjamin Gates'
company, Colonel Rufus Putnam's regiment. He
was then of Petersham. He settled in Phillipston
about the time of his marriage, in 1780, and August
30, 1784, bought a farm of Samuel Taylor, Jr., in
what was then Templeton, now Phillipston, where
he was then living. This place adjoined the farm of
Jonathan Stratton. He lived there during his
active life, and deeded it to his two sons, Cyrus and
Washington Hagar, January 23, 1826. He died at
Phillipston, May II, 1842.

He married, at Waltham, October 7, 1780, Eunice
Whitehead, of Waltham. Their children were :
Elisha, see forward. Lucy, married Levi Carruth.
Cyrus. Washington, died February 1, 1872, at Phil-
lipston, leaving widow Abigail and children : James
W., of Phillipston; George B., of Gardner; Joseph
E., of Athol ; Eunice A., married Lorenzo Stow ;
Abigail E., married Frank J. Clark; Lucy A., mar-
ried Arthur B. Robbins. Abigail, married Silas
Baker.

(VI) Elisha Hager, son of John Hagar (5),
was born probably in Northboro or Shrewsbury,
just before the family settled in Templeton, now
Phillipston, Massachusetts, about 1782. He settled
in Halifax, Vermont, after his second marriage, in
1836-37, to Elizabeth (Carruth) Vosburg. Chil-
dren of Elisha Hager were: Daniel, John, Elisha,
Jr., Madison, Eunice. One child, born to Elisha
and Eliza Hager was : Albert Martin Vosburg, see
forward.

(VII) Albert Martin Vosburg Hager, son of
Elisha Hager (6), was born at Halifax, Vermont,
and educated in the district schools there. He took
charge of his father's farm at an early age, and
his father then retired from active business. He
added a saw mill to his other interests and built
a wood working plant for manufacturing chair stock.
He built a planing mill also. In 1884 he sold out
his interests in Halifax and went to Coleraine,
Massachusetts, where he carried on the farm be-



Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 38 of 133)