Ellery Bicknell Crane.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) online

. (page 39 of 133)
Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 39 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


longing to his second wife. After a few years they
sold the property at Coleraine and removed to Lin-
coln, Nebraska. After two years he returned to
Massachusetts and built a residence in Athol, where
he is now living. He is at present employed by
Arthur F. Tyler, manufacturer of sash and blinds.
Mr. Hager is a Universalist in religion and Re-
publican in politics. He was assessor of the town
of Halifax, and in 1877 representative to the Ver-
mont legislature. He was clerk of the Halifax
school board.

He married (first), January 26, i860, Minerva
Chloe Fairbanks, daughter of Asa and Sally
(Satcey) Fairbanks, of Whitingham, Vermont. They
had eleven children, viz. : John Martin, born Octo-
ber 29, i860, see forward ; Fordis Albert, Freeman,
Otis, Leon Sanford, Orlo James, Alta Minerva, Myra
Ellen, Clarence James, Clara Sally, Lura Hattie.

(VIII) John Martin Hager, son and eldest child
of Albert Martin Vosburg Hager (7), was born in
Halifax, Vermont, October 29, i860. He attended
the common schools of his native town and after-
ward the select school there until he was twenty
years old. He then took charge of his father's
farm, assisting his father also in the factory, where
they manufactured chair stock and similar wood
products. At the age of twenty-five he started in
business as a photographer, but after six months
went to work at Lonsdale, Rhode Island, for Cut-
ting & Bishop, contractors and builders, of Worces-
ter, Massachusetts, who had a large contract at
Lonsdale, for the Lonsdale Cotton Company. He
worked there afterward for the Lonsdale Cotton
Company and later went to Valley Falls, Rhode
Island, to help build a large rolling mill. He was
in the employ of C. W. Lee, shoe manufacturer, of
Athol, and of Hill & Green and Frank Breed until
1899, when he accepted a position with the New
Home Sewing Machine Company, operating auto-
matic screw machines and other machines in their
factory until July, 1901. when he removed to Win-
chendon and started in business for himself as a
shoe dealer. Since February I, 1903, his store has
been located in the Rome block. He has developed
a large and growing business. Mr. Hager attends
the Methodist church. He is an active Republican,
has been secretary of the Republican town commit-
tee and has frequently been chosen on important
special committees by the town. He is a member of
Artisan Lodge, Free Masons, of Winchendon ; Tul-
ley Lodge, No. 136, Odd Fellows, of Athol, and of
Watatic Tribe, No. 85, Red Men, of Winchendon..

He married, June 19, 1886, Nellie E. King, daugh-
ter of Hinckley and Julia T. (Sperry) King, of
North Prescott, Massachusetts. Her father was a farm-
er. Children of John Martin and Nellie E. Hager were :
Infant, died young; Pearl Fairbanks, born June 15,
1891 ; Alice King, born June 19, 1899.

DR. THOMAS EDWARD DUFFEE, son of
Nicholas J. Duffee, and grandson of Thomas Duffee,
is descended from Irish stock. Other branches of
the family spell the name Duffy and McDuffee. A
prominent McDuffee family located before the revo-
lution at Chester, New Hampshire, and many of
the Duffees and McDuffees belong to this branch.

Dr. Duffee was born in Hillsboro, New Hamp-
shire, April 17, 1872, and attended school there.
When he was eleven years old his parents moved
to Marlow, New Hampshire, where he attended the
grammar and high schools. In 1891 he went to
Keene, New Hampshire, where he entered the em-
ploy of the American Express Company as clerk.
After two years he took a position with the Bick-
more Gall Cure Company of Oldtown, Maine, and



13-'



WORCESTER COUNTY



represented the company throughout the United
States and Canada for sqme four years. In 1900
he decided to study medicine and entered the Uni-
versity of Vermont Medical School. He took a
.tour year course and received his degree of M. D.,
June 24, tgo2. In the fall of 1903 he went to East
Bridgewater, Massachusetts, and took charge of the
practice of Dr. \Y. 11. Adams until January 1, 1905,
when lie turned his practice over to Dr. W. 6.
Bannerman. He then went to New York city and
entered the New York Post Graduate College, where
he took the regular eye and ear course. He studied
also in the Manhattan Eye and Ear Hospital, Dr.
Knapp's private hospital and the New Y'ork Eye
and Ear Hospital. At tire same time he took special
instruction under Dr. Alexander Duane. He re-
turned to East Bridgewater for a few weeks during
the summer, but went hack to New Y'ork to do spe-
cial work at Dr. Knapp's private hospital. He
came to Wirichendon, December 1, 1905, and asso-
ciated himself with Dr. \Y. B. Thorning. He passed
the state board of examination at Providence, Rhode
Island, in the fall of 1905, and is registered as a
practicing physician in Vermont and Massachusetts
also. Dr. Duffee 1- designing at present a series of
instruments for special surgical operations on the
nose and throat. While in Bridgewater he was town
physician. He is a Republican in politics. He is a
member of the Delta Mu Fraternity of the Uni-
versity of Vermont. He has been a member of
Company H, National Guard, state of New Hamp-
shire. He is a member of Artisan Lodge, F. and
A. M., of Wmchendon, also the Massachusetts Medi-
cal Society, the American Medical Association, and
the Winchendon Country Club.

FRANK EMERY WILLIAMSON. The an-
cestral line of Frank Emery Williamson is traced
from Jonathan Williamson and his wife Mary, win 1
were residents of London, England, and came to
New England about the year 1734 with their young
baby boy, Thomas, wdio was born in Horsley Down,
London, March 22, 1733, O. S. The father, Jona-
than Williamson, may have made a brief stop at
the town of Newbury, Massachusetts, for it is re-
corded that he came from that town to Pawnelbor-
ough, Maine, a town named by the legislature of
Massachusetts, February 13. 1760, and to be shire
town of Lincoln county. This Jonathan and Mary
Williamson had according to the records at Pawnel-
borough, name of the place having been changed
June 10, 1802, to Wiscasset, the following children:
Thomas, born March 22. 1733, in London, England ;
Jonathan, March 15, 1735, in Georgetown, Maine;
Samuel, January 7, 1739, in Pawnelborough, Maine.

The senior Jonathan was an active man in t' .u n
and church affairs, was selectman, moderator at
various town meetings and for many years the town
clerk. When the old meeting house was built.
which structure was started in 1704 and completed
all but the steeple in 1767, he was a member of the
building committer. November 4. 1766. he with
other settlers of Pawnelborough petitioned the Mas-
sachusetts legislature for leave of the town to
choose another collector of taxes as the one pre-
viously chosen failed to act.

Thomas Williamson, the eldest son of Jona-
than and Mary Williamson, married, January 26,
1761, Sarah Blacklidge, of Pawnelborough. The
intention of marriage was published November 5,
1760. He was styjed ensign and must have ren-
dered military service. He died February 3, 1778,
leaving five young children for whom his widow,
Sarah Williamson, was appointed guardian. Their
children were: Sarah, born October 22, 1761;



Mary, 1763; Elizabeth, 1765; Ruth, January 28,
1768; Abigail, March 21, 1771; Lucy, 1773; Anna,
I 775 ; Hannah, 1777.

Samuel Williamson, youngest son of Jonathan

and Mary Williamson, married (.first) Mary ;

she died September 4, 1765. He married (second)
Lydia Pike, of Pawnelborough, February 6, 1766,
the intention having been published January 11,
1766. Their children were: Mary, born April 28,
1759. deceased; Lydia, September 28, 1700, died
January 6, 1766; Jane, March 21. 1702; Mary, Au-
gust 29, 1765; Matthew, November 8, 1706; Lydia,
October 8, 1768; Frances, September 20, 1770; Jon-
athan, December 12, 1772, married Mary Decosta ; in-
tention dated June 17, 1796.

Jonathan Williamson, Jr., second son of Jona-
than and Mary Williamson, married Hannah .

He was a farmer and was appointed surveyor of
lumber. His wife Hannah must have died, for
May 25, 1791, intention of marriage of Jonathan
Williamson, Jr., to Abigail Williamson was put on
records of the town. Children, born in Pawnel-
borough, were: Stephen, November 23, 1760; Betty,
January 25, 1763; Esther, October 25, 1765; Han-
nah, September 12, 1771.

Captain Stephen Williamson, eldest son of Jon-
athan Williamson, Jr., married, December 25, 1785,
Sarah Y'oung, both of Pawnelborough, Maine. They
were, married by Thomas Moore, justice of the
peace. Mr. Williamson died November 13, 1840,
aged seventy-nine years. They had three sons ; one
settled in Strong, Maine, one in New Portland,
Maine ; and the third one was .

George Williamson, born 1797, in Stark, Maine,
married (first) Mary Ingalls, by whom he had six
children. He married (second) Maria Newbot, by
whom he had nine children. He died December 2,
1879, aged eighty-two years. His children were :
Joseph, Warren, Milton William, see forward; Nel-
son, Alelvina, Phebe, Lewedwin, John. William,
Julia, Lavena, Avalla, Nancy, Laura and Anne.

Milton William Williamson, born in Stark,
Maine, July 4, 1826, came to Worcester, Massachu-
setts, 111 1850. and entered the employ of Joseph
Walker, Jr., & Company, boot and leather dealers, as
a boot fiinisher, remaining several years. In 1857
he was engaged in the grocery business, the firm
being James F. Raymore tk. Company. Some years
later he was making hats and bonnets for Sewall
H. Bowker, but in 1864 removed to Wrentham, only
to return to Worcester in the fall of the succeed-
ing year, where he again took up the manufacture
of hats and bonnets at No. 5 Central Exchange
building. From 1873 to 1878 he was engaged as
machinist, but the last few years of his life he
worked at carpentering. He died June 14, 1893. He
married Mary Ann Marcy, of Sturbridge, Massa-
chusetts. Their children were : Frank Emery, born
December 4, 1854, and Mary Stella, February 9,
1S62.

Frank Emery Williamson, only son of Mil tin
W. and Mary Ann (Marcy) Williamson, was born
December 4, 1854, at the home of his parents, No.
51. Sumner street, Worcesur, Massachusetts, since
which time, with the exception of about one year,
he has been a resident of the city of his birth.
After attending the public schools, at the age of
fifteen he entered the employ of the Worcester &
Nashua Railroad Company as office boy, John M.
Williams then being agent for that company. Y'oung
Williamson was advanced in the office of the freight
department as fast as his experience and proficiency
became known, and in 1878, in addition to his duties
as bookkeeper in the office, he was for six years
conductor on the evening and morning passenger



WORCESTER COUNTY



133



train which ran between Worcester and Aver Junc-
tion. In 1885, when the road was leased to the
Boston & Maine Railroad, he was promoted to the
position of cashier in the office, and for ten years
performed acceptably the duties of that office. In
1875 he entered the employ of the Worcester County
Institution for Savings as auditing clerk. This is
one of the largest and most successful savings banks
in the state, with assets in 1906 of more than
twenty-one million, five hundred and fifty thousand
dollars, and number of depositors over forty-two
thousand. Mr. Williamson is a quiet, unostentatious
gentleman, a good business manager, and faithful
to his trust. He represented his ward in the city
council for four years, 1895-96-97-98. He is treasurer
of the Worcester Society of Antiquity, of which or-
ganization he is a valuable member. He holds fra-
ternal relations with the Odd Fellows and the
Order of Free Masons. In January, 1906, he was
elected auditor for the city of Worcester, a position
for which he is most admirably adapted by experi-
ence as an accountant.

He married, November 15, 1877, Ida May, daugh-
ter of Luther G. and Joanna (Wright) Moore, the
former a farmer and resident of the northerly part
of Worcester. Their children are : George Linen .
born September 11, 1878, is a graduate of the Wor-
cester Polytechnic Institute, class of 1900. He then
took a post-graduate course in mechanical engineer-
ing, and is at present (1906) the constructing engi-
neer of the Union Metallic Cartridge Company at
Bridgeport, Connecticut. He married, June 9, 1903,
Alice May, daughter of Hon. William A. Lytle, of
Worcester. Arthur Moore, born May 13, 1881, 1^
also a graduate of the Worcester Polytechnic Insti-
tute, class of 1902, and is at present (1906) chemist
for the International Acheson Graphite Company
of Niagara Falls, New York.

GEORGE WASHINGTON FOSTER. Reginald
Foster (1), the immigrant ancestor of George Wash-
ington Foster, of Leominster, Massachusetts, was
born about 1595 in Barmton, England. He came to
America about 1635 with his wife Judith, five sons
and two daughters, and settled at Ipswich, Massa-
chusetts, about 1638. He resided near the East
Bridge. His name was often spelled Reynold. He
bought of John Tuttell, September 26, 1638, a house
and lands in Ipswich. He had charge of the town
herd of cattle on the south side of the river in
1643; the work to be done (by permission of the
authorities) by his son Abraham. In 1661 he was
highway surveyor. He owned shares in both Plum
and Hog Islands. He died in 1681. His will was
made. April 30, 1680, and proved June 9, 1681 ; be-
queathed to wife Sarah what she brought at mar-
riage and other things; bequeathed to sons, Abraham.
Renold, Isaac, William and Jacob; to daughters,
Sarah, wife of William Story, and Mary, wife of
Francis Peabody ; to grandchild Hannah Story.

He married (first) Judith in England.

She died October, 1664, at Ipswich. He married
(second), September 20, 1665, Sarah Martin, widow
of John Martin, of Ipswich. She married (sec-
ond) William White, of Haverhill, September 21,
1682, and she died February 22, 1683. The children
of Reginald and Judith Foster were : Mary, born

about 1618, married Wood and Lieutenant

Francis Peabody; Abraham, of whom later; Regin-
ald, born 1636, married Elizabeth Davis; William,
born 1633, married Mary Jackson; Isaac, born 1630;
Jacob, born 1635, married Martha Kushman and
Abigail Lord; Sarah, born 1620, married William
Storey.

(II) Abraham Foster, son of Reginald Foster



(1), was born in Exeter, Devonshire, England, 1622,
and died at Ipswich, January 25, 1710-11, aged about
ninety years. He came with his father to New
England, when his age was given as sixteen year-,.
He lived at Ipswich and joined the church there
in full communion April 12, 1674. He was called
yeoman on the records. He left no will, but dis-
tributed his property by deed December 21, 1698.

He married, 1055. Lydia Burbank, daughter of
Caleb and Martha Burbank, of Rowley, and grand-
daughter of John Burbank, of Rowley. The chil-
dren of Abraham and Lydia Foster were: Ephraim,
born October 9, 1657; Abraham, born October, 1659,
married Mary Robinson ; James, born January 12,
1662; Benjamin, born 1670, married Ann - — ;
Ebenezer, born July 15, 1672, married Mary Bar-
man; Mehitable, born October 12, 1675, married
Ebenezer Averill ; Caleb, born November 9, 1677,
married Mary Sherwin ; Isaac, born 1668, died Feb-
ruary 13, 1717; an infant, born December 27, 1668;
Ruth, married, April 16, 1702, Jeremiah Perley, of
Boxford.

(III) Benjamin Foster, son of Abraham Foster
(2), was born at Ipswich, Massachusetts, 1670. He
was a weaver by trade as well as a farmer. He
lived in Topsfield, then in the adjoining town of
Boxford, and finally removed to Lunenburg, where
he died September 12, 1735. His children were all
born at Ipswich except the last two, who were born

at Boxford. His wife Ann removed to Bil-

lerica and lived there after his death. The children
of Benjamin and Ann Foster were: Benjamin, born
November 25, 1700, married Mrs. Sarah Lowe;
Amos, born April 28, 1702, of whom later; Deb-
orah, born May 7, 1704; Kezia, born May 4, 1707,
married, September 5, 1741, Jacob Corey, Jr., of
Tewksbury; Gideon, born October 10, 1709, married
Lydia Goldthwait; Jemima, born February 12, 171 1-
12, died young; Isaac, born December 3, 1722, mar-
ried Mary Rice; Jemima, baptized December, 1725,
married, July 28, 1738, Jonathan Fish, Jr., lived in
Lunenburg.

(IV) Amos Foster, son of Benjamin Foster
(3), was born in Ipswich, Massachusetts, April 28,
1702. He married, October 8, 1725, Elizabeth Kitt-
ridge, of Haverhill, and she died November 29,
1756. He removed to Boxford with his father and
thence to Tewksbury, where he was living in 173°-
His will was proved June 17, 1754. He died April
28, 1754. The children of Amos and Elizabeth
Foster were: James, born August 15, 1736, married
three wives whose given names were, Dolly. Betty
and Lydia; Jonathan, born August 2^. 1732, married

Lydia , Sarah Allen, Mrs. Olive Harwood;

Amos, born November 30, 1727, of whom later;
Mary, born October 7, 1734, married, June 13, 1770,
James Kittridge.

(V) Captain Amos Foster, son of Amos Foster
(4), was born at Tewksbury, November 30, 1727.
He died February 19, 1798, at Tewksbury. He mar-
ried (first) Hannah . He married (second)

Sarah , died November 3, 1799. He was a

soldier in the revolution, entering as ensign and be-
ing promoted to the rank of captain. He was first
of Captain Jonathan Brown's company (Southeast
company of Tewksbury), Colonel David Green's
Middlesex regiment, in 1775. The following year
he was second lieutenant in the company of Captain
Joshua Baldwin (eighth or east Tewksbury) in
Colonel Simon Spaulding's (seventh Middlesex)
regiment. Later he became captain of his old
(eighth) company under Colonel Jonathan Brown
in 1780. He was also captain in Colonel Cyprian
How's regiment, 1780, and marched to reinforce the
Continental army, part of the regiment going to



134



WORCESTER COUNTY



Fishkill, New York, the remainder to Rhode Island.
The children of Captain Amos Foster were :
Amos, born May 23, 1753, was in the revolution ;
William, born April 10, 1756, married Olive How-
ard; Hannah, born April 10, 1764; Nathan, of whom
later; Jesse, born February 8, 1764, had guardian;
Elizabeth, born February 19, 1766; Susannah, born
October I, 1771 ; Alice, born September 29, 1778,
married, July 31, 1798, Amos Blanchard ; Orpha,
born 1785; Stephen, born about 1780, had guardian.

(VI) Nathan Foster, son of Captain Amos
Foster (.5), was born at Tewksbury, Massachusetts,
May 14, 1762. He went to Maine before he was of
age and located at what became the town of Nor-
way, Maine. He was a farmer and became a promi-
nent citizen. He died suddenly of apoplexy in his
yard while at his usual work, February 5, 1836.

He married at Norway, Maine, May 17, 1791,
(the first marriage in the town) Miriam Hobbs,
who was born July 17, 1772, and died December
24, 1804. She was the daughter of Jeremiah Hobbs,
of Hopkinton, Massachusetts, and Norway, Maine.
Mr. Foster married (second) Sally Hobbs, sister
of his first wife; she was born January 8, 1782. The
children of Nathan and Miriam Foster were : Nathan,
born April 9, 1794, married Mrs. Sarah (Gilson)
Wheelock ; Miriam, born May 18, 1791 ; Hannah,
born October 14, 1792, died June 22, 1811; Amos,
born March 31, 1796, died April 20, 1827; was a
soldier in the war of 1812 in Captain Amos Town's
company; Jeremiah, born September 23, 1797, cor-
poral in Captain Amos Noyes' "Aroostooc War" in
1839 in Maine ; William, born April 5, 1799, of whom
later. The children of Nathan and Sally were :
Samuel, born February 15, 1804, died July 6, 1806;
Sally, born August 31, 1805, died July 10, 1806;
Sally, born April 17, 1807, married, April 11, 1842,
Hon. David Frost, school teacher, selectman, justice
of the peace, legislator, etc. ; Samuel, born January

27, 1809, married (first) Sarah and (second)

Caroline Cross, resided in Norway; Serena, born
December 11, 1810, married, November 13, 1838,
Susan Frost; Hannah, born June 22, 1813, married
Simon Frost; Luther F., born March 3, 1815, mar-
ried Emma B. Millett; David, born May I, 1818,

married Hannah ; Harriet, born October 5,

1820, died June I, 1828; Lydia, born January 17,
1823, married, 1842, William Frost, Jr. ; Clarissa,
born January 27, 1826, married Fred Knight.

(VII) William Foster, sixth child of Nathan
Foster (6), was born at Norway Centre, Maine,
April 5, 1799, and died there January 26, 1884. He
attended the district schools of his native town
and was apprenticed at the blacksmith's trade, in
the shop of the veteran Daniel Town, of Norway.
When he became of age he left his native town and
journeyed on foot to Boston, where he obtained
employment at his trade in a shipyard. After a year
or two Daniel Town, his former master, invited
him to return to Norway and enter partnership
with him. Mr. Town was getting old and the op-
portunity seemed excellent to the young man. He
returned and the business of Town & Foster pros-
pered. In 1829 Mr. Foster erected a building at
Frost's Corner and located his business there, fol-
lowing his trade until 1844, when he turned to farm-
ing. He lived on his farm in Norway the remainder
of his life, except for a few years at South Paris,
Maine, whither he went so that his children could
have the advantages of better schools. While living
there he was postmaster. He returned to Norway
in i860. As a farmer he was progressive and pros-
perous, as a citizen active and influential in public
affairs. He was an earnest Free Mason, a member
of Oxford Lodge for many years. He died January



26, 1884, at the advanced age of eighty-five years.
He married, May 26, 1830, Calista Wood, of
Waterford, Maine. She was born July 16, 1809,
and died October 19, 1881. The children of William
and Calista Foster were : William Franklin, born
January 14, 1833, married Almira H. Smith ; Nathan
Albert, born October 4, 1835, married Harriet N.
Grover ; Olive S., born December 7, 1830, married,
January, 1850, Theodore Lyman Laselle, who was
born October 26, 1826; she died March 24, 1867,
leaving son, George Laselle, of Norway, and William
F. Laselle, of Leominster, Massachusetts ; Miriam
Hobbs, born July 23, 1839, married Levy M. Pierce,
247 Union street, Springfield, Massachusetts, who
was born in West Boylston, Massachusetts, June 21,
l &33 ; graduate of Colby, high school teacher, now a
music dealer; his son, Rev. William Foster Pierce,
is president of Kenyon College ; Hannah Maria,
born January 17, 1845, died July 4, 1870; Charles
C, born December 7, 1846, married Dora E.
Wheeler ; George W., of whom later.

(VIII) George Washington Foster, youngest
child of William Foster (7), was born in Norway,
Maine, July 10, 1849. He acquired has early educa-
tion chiefly in Chicopee, Massachusetts, and studied
bookkeeping under private tuition. He was employed
for a time as bookkeeper in New York city. He
returned to Leominster and entered partnership
with his brother in the boot and shoe trade there.
In 1886 he acquired an interest in the F. A. Whit-
ney Carriage Company of Leominster and became a
director and treasurer of the concern. He directed
its financial affairs with conspicuous ability and
great success until his death in 1891. He built a
handsome residence on Grove avenue in Leominster,
and invested largely in Leominster real estate. He
built and owned the Foster block there. In politics
he was a Republican. He was well known in Ma-
sonic circles, having taken the Knight Templar de-
gree. He was a member of the Orthodox Congre-
gational church. He died at Leominster, January

5, 1891-

He married, November 2, 1874, Elizabeth Por-
ter Witt, daughter of Thomas and Rachel (Porter)
Witt. She was born April 26, 1850, at Norway, and
her father was born there June 3, 1809, a descendant
of Benjamin Witt, an early settler who came from
Lynn, Massachusetts, and belonged to one of the
old Essex county families. Mrs. Foster survives
her husband. Their children are : Alice M., born
at Leominster, September 14, 1876, married Edward
Williard Blodgett, and has two daughters: Eleanor
and Battina ; Florence E., born at Leominster, Au-
gust 26, 1881, resides at home with her mother.

THOMAS E. THOMPSON is the son of
Thomas and Margaret (Fitzgerald) Thompson, of
New Bedford, Massachusetts. He was born in the
city of New Bedford, May 6, 1864. He received his
education in Ilinois, where his father located when
he was very young. After graduating from the
high school he accepted a position as teacher in the
public schools of Saxton River, Vermont. He taught
later at Fitzwilliam, New Hampshire, Sandwich and



Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 39 of 133)