Ellery Bicknell Crane.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) online

. (page 40 of 133)
Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 40 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Lawrence, Massachusetts. While he was at Law-
rence his good work and evident ability as a teacher
attracted the attention of the school committee of
Leominster, Massachusetts, and the position of su-
perintendent of the Leominster schools was offered
to him. He accepted and since 1895 has filled the
office with credit. To an exceptional degree he has
won the respect and co-operation of the teachers and
the confidence and support of the parents of pupils.
He is popular among the school children too. The
secret of his success is his great interest in the work






WORCESTER COUNTY



135



of education, his knowledge of human nature and
his sympathy with the difficulties and pleasures of
youth. He is in charge of about twenty-four hundred
pupils. There are sixty-three teachers and ten sep-
arate buildings in the town. Under his direction the
standing of the Leominster schools has been high
and the town has gained a reputation for its educa-
tional facilities. When the rivalry between the
progressive and wealthy towns and citie> of .Massa-
chusetts is considered, all the more credit must be
given the energetic superintendent to whose ex-
ecutive ability the constant improvement and high
standards are largely due.

He is a member of the Leominster Club and of
the local council of the Royal Arcanum. He at-
tends the Congregational church. In politics he is
a stanch Republican, though his activity is limited
by the nature of his office. There can be no politics
as such in well-regulated public schools.

It may be appropriate to give a brief sketch of
the public schools of Leominster, of which Mr.
Thompson is in charge. The town was incorporated
in 1740 and as soon as the meeting house had been
provided for the pioneers turned their attention to
the need of a school. In December, 1747, the first
money was raised "for schooling." The church had
been in use for several years, but was not actually
completed until 1753. So the church and school
grew side by side. There was no school house at
first. In 1747-48-49 the sum of ten pounds annually
was devoted to teaching. In 1748 it was voted "to
build a school house and set it at the meeting house
in said town, twenty-four feet long, eighteen feet
wide and seven feet stud." It was probably built in
1749 at a cost of thirty-five pounds. Jacob Pea-
body was the teacher in 1750. In 1767 the town
was divided into three school districts and three
new school houses voted. The annual appropriation
had risen to forty pounds, but when the revolution
brought its full measure of hardship it was diffi-
cult to keep the schools open. In many places
there was no school for several years. Leominster
made no appropriation for schools in 1777. As the
town grew better schools were provided. In 1850
the town paid $1,900 for schools and the high school
was established. In fifty years the cost of schools
in the town has increased ten fold, and the value
of the schools as increased porportionately. In
1883 the town voted to employ a superintendent of
schools. The first superintendent was elected soon
afterward. The committee selected William E. Pul-
sifer, principal of the high school at Stoughton,
Massachusetts. He remained in office until April,
1885, when he resigned to take a more lucrative
position in a Boston publishing house. His suc-
cessor and Mr. Thompson's predecessor was I. Free-
man Hall, who had been in the same work at Ded-
ham, Massachusetts. Mr. Hall was an excellent sup-
erintendent and Mr. Thompson found the schools
well organized when he began his work at
Leominster.

Some mention should be made of Dr. Caleb Cles-
son Field, for whom the Leominster high school has
been named in grateful memory of a lifelong devo-
tion to the schools. From 1838 until 1881 he was a
member of the school board of Leominster and it is
safe to say that during much of that period he was
not only member but the whole board. All that a
superintendent could do he did in the earlier days.
To quote from his biography : "He labored with un-
failing interest and zeal, with rare wisdom and suc-
cess, for the wise and permanent development of
our system of schools and after a service of over
forty-three years left the schools among the best
in the state. On the anniversary of his death the



teachers and pupils have been accustomed to cover
his grave with flowers." "The schools of Leom-
inster will always bear the marks of his wise care,
faithful oversight and unfailing interest. As our
modern life makes larger and larger demands upon
the time of the individual and the system of public
instruction becomes more comprehensive, special
supervision by men who can devote all their time
to the work must take the place of the old way.
But in the years before this was possible, any town
was most fortunate, if among her citizens there was
one who had the will and the ability to do for her
public schools what Dr. Field did for the public
schools of Leominster." Jonas Horace Kendall was
another great and good friend of the Leominster
schools. He made large bequests for educational
purposes to the town.

Leominster is an active growing manufacturing
town with a large percentage of foreign population
to be Americanized in the public schools. It re-
quires a broad and versatile superintendent to man-
age a public school system for the diverse elements
to be found in the great mill towns and cities of
New England. The success of the public school sys-
tem is not the result of accident. It is the result
of far-sighted planning, ceaseless labor and constant
experiment and change.

Mr. Thompson married in 1891, Mary L. Hager,
of Wellesley, Massachusetts. They have one child,
Dorothy.

WOOSTER F. DODGE. Richard Dodge (1),
son of John Dodge and his wife Margery, was born
in Somerset county, England, probably in 1602. He
was the emigrant ancestor of Wooster F. Dodge,
of Leominster, Massachusetts. The lineage has been
traced back further in the old country than is
possible with most of the early emigrants to New
England. Richard's father had three other chil-
dren. Mary and Michael died in England, never
emigrating to America. William was the first to
emigrate. He was a passenger on the "Lion's
Whelp" to Salem in 1629. He settled in Salem and
died about 1692. Richard came to Salem in 1638
"desiring accommodation" and evidently got it, for
he settled in the town where his brother was living,
but later he removed to Wenham and in 1644 be-
came a proprietor of Beverly. His brother William
bought a two hundred acre farm that year in Salem
bounds. Richard and his wife Edith Dodge be-
came members of the Wenham church, and he was
on the list of twenty-one subscribers to funds for
Harvard College. He lived on what is known as
Dodge Row and gave the land for the cemetery
there. He left an estate valued after his death at
one thousand, seven hundred and sixty-four pounds,
two shillings.

His children were : John, baptized December
29, 1631, in England, lived at North Beverly, died
October 11, 171 1. aged eighty years; Mary, born
1632, married, 1653, Zechar Herrick, died August
18, 1710; Sarah, baptized 1644, died 1726, married
Peter Woodbury, born 1640, died 1704 ; Richard,
born 1643, resided at Wenham, died April 13. 1705;
Samuel, born 1645, at Ipswich, died December 4,
1705; Edward, born at North Beverly, February 13,
1727; Joseph, born 1651, at North Beverly, died
August 10. 1716.

(II) Richard Dodge, son of Richard Dodge (1),
was born at Beverly, Massachusetts, in 1643. He
died April 13, 1705, at Wenham. He married, Feb-
ruary 23, 7667, Mary Easton, born 1641, died No-
vember 28. 1716. nis farm was in the southerly
part of Wenham and he had a large estate. He
gave his cider mill to his son Richard. He willed



136



WORCESTER COUNTY



a negro slave Mingo to his oldest son. He and his
wife are both buried and have gravestones in the
old burying ground at North Beverly. Their chil-
dren were : Richard, born July 12, 1670, died July
7. 1739, at Ipswich; Mary, born March 30, 1672,
married Charles Gott, of Wenham; Martha, bap-
tized June 7, 1674, married Dr. John Davidson, of
Ipswich; Daniel, born April 26, 1677, graduated at
Harvard College, 1700; William, born 1678, married,
1699, Prudence Fairfield.

(III) Richard Dodge, son of Richard Dodge
(2), was born at Wenham, July 12, 1670, died at
[nswich, July 7, 1739. He was a prosperous farmer.
He married, November 16, 1694, Martha Low,
daughter of Deacon Thomas Low, of Chebacco in
Ipswich. She died at the age of sixty-eight years.
Their children were: Martha, born May 29, 1696,
died at Beverly, October 5, 1721 ; she married Rev.
John Conant, son of John and Bethiah Conant, born
July 7, 1686 ; Nathaniel, born October 8, 1698, died
young; Lucy, born May 3, 1700, married Daniel
Conant, January 23, 1716-17; Nathaniel, born De-
cember 1, 1701, probably died young; Margaret,
born September 2, 1702; Barnabas, born 1706 or
1707, died October 11, 1739; Paul, born 1709-10,
died January 3, 1773: Richard, born at Ipswich,
married Sarah Tuttle, died in Sutton.

(IV) Richard Dodge, son of Richard Dodge
(2), was born in 171 1 or 1712 in Hamlet parish,
Ipswich. He inherited a third of his father's farm
and in 1734 bought also the third of his brother
Barnabas. Later he sold his Ipswich property and
1m 'light a farm at Sutton, where he settled. Their
children were born at Ipswich, as follows: Rufus,
born March 14, 1736, married Elizabeth Dodge, of
Brookfiel'd, published October 28, 1756, resided at
Gageboro ; Richard, born May 21, 1738, probably
died young, in which case there was another son
Richard born later ; Nathaniel, born December 9,
1740, married Sarah Dodge, of Brookfield: Asa,
married Lydia Buxton, February 9, 1779; James,
settled in Gageboro, Berkshire county; Thomas, set-
tled in Dudley in 1777; Sarah, married Reuben
Town, July 7, 1767; Mary, married Enos Buxton,
January 3, 1775.

(V) Richard Dodge, son of Richard Dodge (4),
was born at Ipswich, Massachusetts, 1750 or 1752.
Willi his son Stephen he bought, August 24, 1796,
a farm at New Grantham, New Hampshire. He
bought other lands there and moved with ox teams
one hundred and twenty-five miles through the
Forests. There were no roads. He had lived first
at Sutton after his marriage and there his children
were born. In 1776 he bought his brother's in-
tei ->t in his father's farm there. He lived also at
Charlton, Massachusetts. He and both wives are
buried al Xew Grantham, New Hampshire, where
they died. His children were: An'aniah, born No-
vember 23. 1772. died December 8. 1846, at Palmer,
Massachusetts ; Levi, June 22, 1772. died Decem-
ber 8. 1835; Stephen, October 24. 1779, died May
11. 1S72; Simon, February 22, 1781, died September

23. 1817, had son James S. ; Lois, August 24, 1783,
died September 13. (872; John, December ir, 1785;
Parly, March 24. 17X8; Patty. August 10. 1790;
\111.1 .1. October 15. [792; Joshua, November 23.

r 795

( VI ) Stephen Dodge, son of Richard Dodge 1 5 1
was born at Royalston, Massachusetts, December

24. 1774. He moved with his father and other
members of his family to New Grantham, New
Hampshire, March, 1797, married Mary Dunbar,
of New Grantham, November 10. 1700. She was born
at Bridgewater, Massachusetts, September 24. 1779.
Stephen served in the war of 1812. His children



were : Salmon H.. born July 31, 1800, in Croyden,
New Hampshire; Malynda, April 9, 1S02, died No-
vember 21, 1803; Ira, February 28, 1804; Lois, Janu-
ary 27, 1806; Stephen, January 29, 1808; Azel Dun-
bar, November 13, 1809, at Malone. Xew York,
died November 6, 1857, at New York city; Still-
man. December 19, 181 1, died at age of eight weeks;
Patty, June 1, 1813 ; Alven, June 23, 1815, died
July 12, 1815; Susan, July 2^. 1S18, at Sand Lake,
New York; Mary Jane, December 19, 1823, in
Cavendish, Vermont, resided at Sand Lake and Lud-
low, Vermont, where family settled October 15,
1 8a >

(Y1I) Stephen Dodge, son of Stephen P. Dodge
(6), was born in New Grantham, New Hampshire,
January 2g, 1808. He was a pattern maker as
well as a farmer at Ludlow, Vermont. Among his
children was a son — Stephen, of whom later.

i\ III) Stephen Dodge, son of Stephen (7),
was born at Ludlow, Vermont, 1808, died in
Leominster, Massachusetts, June 26, 1855. He was
brought up in Ludlow and received a common
school education. He took up the comb making
industry which he followed at Ludlow for a time,
and then removed to Leominster, which is a centre
of manufacturing of this kind. He was a Republi-
can and held several town offices. He married
Elvira Foster, of Worcester, Massachusetts. Their
children were: Helena H., Wooster F. born March
28, 1841; Alice F.

(IX) Wooster F. Dodge, son of Stephen Dodge
(8), was born at Leominster, Massachusetts, March
28, 1841. He was educated there in the common
and high schools. At the age of twenty he en-
listed in the First Massachusetts Infantry band. At
his discharge next year he re-enlisted immediately
m Company H, Fourth Massachusetts Heavy
Artillery, and served till he was mustered out
at the close of the war. He returned to his home
in Leominster and entered the Jewett Allen Piano
Case factory at Leominster. He went to Andover
later to work in the same line. He finally went into
business in Leominster, establishing a steam laundry.
He sold the laundry later when he bought the box
factory which has been in the hands of the Dodge
family since 1857. He enlarged the capacity of the
box factory and has succeeded admirably in the
business. Mr. ' Dodge is a strong and influential
Republican. He represented his district in the gen-
eral court in 1902 and 1903 with credit. He has
been selectman of Leominster for seven years and
has given the townspeople unusual satisfaction. He
is a member of the Grand Army, a Mason and an
Odd Fellow. He and his family attend the Uni-
tarian church.

He married (first), 1867. Emma R. Brown,
daughter of Lyman Brown, of Marlboro, Vermont;
she died in 1874. He married (second), in 1877,
Sibelle E. Carter, daughter of Thomas Carter, a
prominent citizen of Leominster. His children are:
Flora E., married F. S. Farnsworth. and had two
children — Beatrice and Florence; Fred, died in in-
fancy.

FRED HARRIS DANIELS, mechanical en-
gineer and metallurgist is a lineal descendant of
Robert Daniell, wdio came from England and set-
tled in Watertown, Massachusetts, previous to 1636.
Hi- home was not far from the present site of the
United States arsenal. The line of descent is traced
through his son, Joseph Daniels, to Eleazur, David,
Darius, the three latter having been citizens of Men-
don. Massachusetts. Darius had a son, Joseph, born
111 Mendon, Massachusetts who married Lucy Har-
ris a daughter of David Harris, who was a son





#/;




L-'i^wi-^c^^e^



WORCESTER COUNTY



I 37



of Richard, a son of Richard, a son of Thomas,
a son of Thomas, who, December l, 1630, accom-
panied by his brother, William Harris, and Roger
Williams, came to America from Bristol, England,
in the ship "Lynn." Seven years later Thomas Har-
ris and twelve others settled in Providence, Rhode
Island. Joseph and Lucy (Harris) Daniels settled
in Worcester, east of the present Union Station, on
a farm of a! mm one hundred acres.

The next in line of descent was William Pomeroy
Daniels, father of Fred Harris Daniels, who was
for many years a citizen of Worcester. His first
occupation was that of contractor, and later for a
number of years he was a lumber merchant, having
yards on Grove street, Lincoln street and Lincoln
square. He married H. Ann Stark, who was born
in Lyme, New Hampshire, daughter of Nathan and
Beulah (Wilmarth) Stark. Nathan Stark, a na-
tive of Lyme, New Hampshire, was a son of Will-
iam Stark, also of Lyme; William was a son of
Moses Stark, of Groton, Connecticut ; Moses was
a son of William Stark, of Connecticut; William
was a son of William Stark, of Connecticut, who
in turn was a son of Aaron Stark, who settled at
Mystic, Connecticut, 1653, and was a soldier in the
Pequot and Narragansett wars. He was born in
1602, and died in 1685. Doubtless Aaron Stark.
of Mystic, and Major General John Stark, the Ben-
nington hero, descended from the same Scotch fam-
ily. Beulah (Wilmarth) Stark, wife of Nathan
Stark, was born in Rehoboth, Massachusetts, 1785,
a daughter of Joseph Wilmarth, who assisted in
establishing the American independence during the
war of the revolution. Joseph Wilmarth was a son
of Thomas, a grandson of Thomas, a great-grand-
son of Thomas, wdio served in the Colonial wars,
and a great-great-grandson of Thomas Wilmarth.

Fred Harris Daniels was born in Hanover Center,
New Hampshire, June 16, 1853. When he was a
year old his parents removed to Worcester, Massa-
chusetts, which has since been his place of resi-
dence. After leaving the public schools he entered
the Worcester Polytechnic Institute, in his sixteenth
year, and graduated from there in 1873, receiving
the degree of mechanical engineer, and at once en-
tered the employ of the Washburn & Moen Manu-
facturing Company at Worcester. In the winter of
1874 he entered Lafayette College as assistant pro-
fessor in chemistry, at the same time being a special
student under Dr. Thomas M. Drown, the head
of that department. During the summer he was
employed by the Glendon iron works at Easton,
Pennsylvania, completing the plans of their blast
furnaces. The same year he visited the Centennial
Exposition in Philadelphia, making a close study
of the engineering and metallurgical departments.
Returning to Worcester, he resumed his connection
with the Washburn & Moen Company, in the capacity
of mechanical engineer and chemist.

From this period is to be dated the real be-
ginning of a career which was destined to be con-
spicuously useful and brilliant. He had developed
special abilities in iron and steel working, and he
several times visited Europe in the interests of the
Washburn & Moen Company, having for his particular
purpose a close study of the most advanced methods
there practiced in the manufacturing of iron, steel,
wire rods and wire. Much of his time was passed
in Sweden, where the methods employed and the
quality produced were considered at that time very
superior. After serving with the Washburn & Moen
Company as chief engineer. Mr. Daniels was given
additional duties as assistant general superintendent.
Shortly afterward (in 1889) he was made general
superintendent and chief engineer of all the com-



pany's properties, and was given entire charge of
the construction of its western works at Waukegan,
Illinois, the largest wire works then in existence.
When (in 1899) the Washburn & Moen Company's
business was purchased by the American Steel &
Wire Company, Mr Daniels was appointed chief
engineer of the thirty-two plants which came into
the ownership of that corporation, and three years
later became a director in the company. After the
American Steel & Wire Company became the prop-
erty of the United States Steel Corporation, he was
appointed chairman of the board of engineers of the
last named body, in addition to his duties as chief
engineer and director. For the past six years he
has acted as president of the Washburn & Moen
Company, and of the Worcester Wire Company.

As the result of his studies and experiments,
continued from the time he was a collegian, Mr.
Daniels made for himself a world-wide reputation
as an inventor. In 1878 and '79, he made some re-
markable inventions, relating principally to the manu-
facture of wire rods and wire, and especially the
continuous rolling of wire rods and automatically
coiling the same. From time to time he was granted
more than one hundred patents covering a wide
range of inventions, many of which proved profit-
able to the company with which he was connected
(the Washburn & Moen Company), resulting in
rapid advancement and large pecuniary returns.
Many of his expired patents are now in use in
Europe as well as in the United States, especially
the coiling device in rod mills, known as "the auto-
matic reel." The Paris Exposition of 1900 awarded
him a grand prize and gold medal for his meritorious
achievements in the development of the wire in-
'dustry.

Early in his active career Mr. Daniels became a
member of the American Society of Mining En-
gineers, the American Society of Mechanical En-
gineers, the British Iron and Steel Institute, the
American Society for Testing Materials, and of the
Engineers' Club of New York city. He is also
a prominent member of the Century Club of Cleve-
land, the Duquesne Club of Pittsburg, and the New
York Athletic Club. In Worcester he is a member
of the Worcester Club, the Tatnuck Country Club,
and the Quinsigamond Boat Club. He is also a stren-
uous sportsman, and a member of the Muskeget Gun
Club, near Nantucket, famous for duck and brant
shooting. He has made several hunting trips for
large game in the White river district of Colorado,
Jackson's Hole County of Northwestern Wyoming,
Quebec as far north as the Hudson Bay Company's
[inst. Abitibi, and also Newfoundland, and his home
is filled with trophies of the chase.

Mr. Daniels married, May 17, 1883, Sarah Lydia
White, daughter of John C. and Mary L. White,
both of Worcester, a great-granddaughter of Seth
White of Uxbridge. and a great-great-great-grand-
daughter of Joseph Clark, an early settler of Worces-
ter. Their children are : Clarence White, aged
twenty years, a student in the Worcester Polytechnic
Institute; Fred Harold, aged seventeen years: and
Dwight Clark, aged thirteen years. Mr. Daniels is
residing at No. 214 Salisbury street on the estate
noted as the birthplace of George Bancroft, the his-
torian. John C. White, father of Mrs. Daniels, was
for many years in the paint and oil business on
Front and Pearl streets, Worcester.

Mr. Daniels had three brothers and one sister,
as follows: Myron Morton Daniels. Company C,
Thirty-sixth Regiment Massachusetts Volunteers,
fell at the Wildernes-, Virginia. May 6, [864. nine-
teen years of age. Lieutenant Henry William
Daniels, Company H, Thirty-sixth Regiment, Massa-



138



WORCESTER COUNTY



chusetts Volunteers, fell at Spottsylvania, Virginia,
May 12. 1864, twenty-five years of age. Abbie
Elvira Daniels Blackmer, died January 14, 1905.
Rev. Charles Herbert Daniels, D. D., pastor of Grace
Congregational Church, South Framingham.

HORACE M. TOMPKINS, who served with
bravery and honor in the civil war, and who is the
head of a firm which makes a specialty of artesian
and driven wells, pumping plants, windmills, and
kindred branches, is a descendant of an old and
honored family, whose ancestry can be traced back
to 1448, the days of Edward the Third of England.

The Tompkins family has had both English and
Welsh progenitors. The Welsh branch of the fam-
ily call Sir Hugh Treherne their founder. More
properly speaking, he was the founder of the Tomp-
kins family, and a valiant knight, who was with the
Black Prince, in Yorkshire, England. At that time
the name appears as Tampkins. Nathaniel Tomp-
kins. Gentleman, of Holborn, appears on the records
as tried at Guildhall, June 30, 1643, upon the charge
that he had entered into a plot in the interests of
Cromwell, against the King of England. He was
beheaded, but his name comes down to posterity as
one loyal to his party. Particulars of his trial and
his speech from the scaffold have been preserved.
This family has always been noted for musical
ability, it being said that they have produced more
musicians than any other family in England. The
organist of the chapel royal was Thomas Tomp-
kins, who in 1625 was paid forty shillings for the
composition of many songs against the Coronation
of King Charles. Much of his manuscript is pre-
served in the British Museum. John Tompkins, a
noted writer who died in 1796, made the first at-
tempt at Quaker biography in his "Piety Promoted."
William Tompkins was an artist, and his son Peltro
was portrait painter to George III, and drawing
master to the princesses. One of the first of the
name in this country was Micah Tompkins who,
with his wife. Mary, came from England about 1639,
settling in Wethersfield, Connecticut, going from
there to Milford, of which he was one of the
founders, and where his name appears on the records
as a freeman with a house lot of two acres, one
rood and twenty rods. He was one of a company
of eleven in May, 1666, to purchase from the Indians
the site upon which Newark, New Jersey, now



Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 40 of 133)