Ellery Bicknell Crane.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) online

. (page 50 of 133)
Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 50 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Children of Joseph and Phebe (Chase) Smith, all
born in Somerset, were : Nathaniel, Leander, David,
Lydia and Benjamin L. M.

(III) Benjamin Lloyd Mason Smith, son of Jo-
seph Smith (2), was born in Somerset, Massachu-
setts, November 28, 1836. He attended the public
schools, and lived there until he was seventeen
years old, when he removed to Whitinsville, Massa-
chusetts, and learned the trade of machinist in the
Whitin Machine Works. He has for forty years
been foreman of the department where he began
as a boy. in charge of the manufacture of spinning
rolls. He has ninety men in his department. Mr.
Smith has been active in town affairs. In politics



he is a Republican. He has been for eight years
a member of the board of selectmen of the town
of Northbridge, and for twenty-three years chair-
man of the board of assessors. In 1885 he repre-
sented his district in the general court and served
on the water supply committee. He has taken an
active interest in the Whitinsville public library.
He is a member of Granite Lodge, Free Masons,
and of St. Elmo Chapter, Royal Arch Masons. He
is also a member of the Uxbridge Lodge of Odd
Fellow's, in which he has held all the offices.

Mr. Smith is best known in Worcester county
for his musical ability. He is one of the few orig-
inal members of the Worcester County Musical
Association, of which he was a member of the
board of directors twelve years, and has been a
member nf the chorus at every festival since its
organization. He was for many years a leader of
the choir of either the Methodist or Congregational
church at Whitinsville. For many years he taught
vocal music and also the organ. He assisted in
organizing and conducting the Whitinsville Choral
Union of seventy-five voices, which participated
in the great Peace Jubilee in Boston in 1S69 and
in 1872. He was also one of the organizers of the
Whitinsville Musical Association, of which he was
for several years the president. He was for many
years organist of the Masonic Chapter, until some
ten years ago, when he lost an arm from blood
poisoning. He is trustee and auditor of the Whitins-
ville Savings Bank and a trustee of fhe Pine Grove
Cemetery Association.

He married Elmira H. B. Keech, daughter of
Olney and Jemima Keech, of Gloucester, Rhode
Island, and Northbridge, Massachusetts. They have
no children. They have a handsome residence on
Railroad avenue, Whitinsville.

HON. SAMUEL E. HULL. The Hull family
is of English origin. Among the first settlers of
New England were several of this surname who
were prominent men and who have left numerous '
descendants, especially in Massachusetts and Con-
necticut. George Hull was one of the first com-
pany which settled Dorchester in 1630 ; he was a
town officer and deputy to the general court, and
removed to Windsor, Connecticut, where he was
prominent also. John Hull was of Dorchester, Au-
gust 7, 1632. Robert Hull, blacksmith and chandler,
of Boston, was there before 1636 ; he gave to his
son John a house and lot in Boston, and this son
became the celebrated mint master of the colony ;
his son Edward was commander of the Rhode
Island forces that were sent against the Dutch in
1653.

( I ) Rev. Joseph Hull, of Somerset, England,
the most prominent of the Massachusetts immi-
grants of this name, was the progenitor of Hon.
Samuel E. Hull, of Millbury, Massachusetts. He
came from England with his wife Agnes, aged twen-
ty-five years ; his children, Joane, aged fifteen ; Jo-
seph, thirteen; Tristram, eleven; Elizabeth, seven;
Temperance, five ; Dorthy, three ; servants Judith
French, aged twenty ; John Wood, aged twenty, and
Robert Dabyn, twenty-eight years, sailing from
Weymouth, England. March 20, 1635. He was al-
lowed by the general court to locate or "sit down"
at Wessaguscus, afterward called Weymouth, and
twenty-one families with him. Less is known of
him than of almost any other minister of the early
settlers, because he was an Episcopalian. He did
not stay long in Weymouth. Savage thinks he may
have finally returned to England, and that he may
have been the "Puritan" minister ejected in 1663
from Burian in Cornwall. He had a son at York,



I70



WORCESTER COUNTY



Maine. He was admitted a freeman September 2,
1635. He removed to Hingham, and while there
was one of the committee to assist the magistrates,
September 6, 1638; was deputy to genera] court;
preached his farewell sermon there May 5, 1639,
and removed to Barnstable, becoming a freeman
and deputy of the Plymouth colony in 1639. He
became pastor of the Yarmouth church. Children
of Rev. Joseph and Agnes: 1. Joane, born 1620. 2.
Temperance, 1626. 3. Joseph, 1627. 4. Elizabeth,
1628. 5. Grissell, 1630. 6. Dorothy, 1632. 7. Reuben
(or Benjamin) born about 1635, baptized at Hing-
ham. March 24, 1639. 8. Naomi, born about 1637-9,
baptized 1639. 9. Ruth, baptized May 9, 1641. 10.
Sarah, died 1647.

(II) Reuben Hull (sometimes Benjamin, caus-
ing great difficulty in tracing the family), son of
Rev. Joseph Hull (1), born about 1635, baptized
at Hingham. March 24, 1639. He seems to have
been at Beverly in 1643, and at Dover, New Hamp-
shire, 1659-61. He married Hannah Fernside about
1670, and they settled in Dover. Another record
gives their children to Benjamin and Mary (Fern-
side) Hull, of Portsmouth. John Fernside had
daughters, Mary and Hannah, and of course each
may have been married to Ben Hull. Children
recorded at Dover of Reuben and Hannah (Fern-
side) Hull : I. Elizabeth, born September 9, 1673.
2. Joseph, March 31, 1676. 3. Doduah, December
31, 1681. 4. Reuben, August 2, 1684 5. Sarah,
September 25,. 1686. 6. Mary, September 1, 1688.
Probably others.

(Ill) Joseph Hull, son of Reuben (Benjamin)
Hull (2), born at Dover, New Hampshire. March
31, 1676, settled in Falmouth, Maine.

(IV) James Hull, the first ancestor of Samuel
E. Hull in Worcester county, was born about 1700,
and there is reason for believing him to be son of
Joseph Hull of Falmouth, Maine. He was living
in Sutton in 1737, when he bought of Nathaniel H.
Jones, of Falmouth, and gave him a mortgage of
his farm, December 30, 1737. The place was lo-
cated in what was then called the "'Country Gore,"
lying between Worcester and Sutton, near the line
of Sutton. The mortgage was discharged Septem-
ber 11, 1741, -when Jones was in Boston. He sold,
September 4, 1741, to John Goddard, of Brookline,
part of all of this land. Edward Lyon, of Sutton,
sold land to Deborah Hull, wife of James, Novem-
ber 2, 1747. He died 1759, and the will was pre-
sented for probate December 3, 1759. He married,
about 1726, Deborah, sister of Jeremiah Burnham,
of the Ipswich family. The children of James Hull,
mentioned in his will, were : Elizabeth ; Lucy ;
Tramy (?); Deborah; Mary; Mehitable ; Hannah;
James Wake, mentioned below ; Sarah ; Martha ;
John; Asa, born 1756, brother of James W., ap-
pointed guardian January 7, 1771.

(V) James Wake Hull, son of James Hull (4),
born in Uxbridge. January, 1738, died at Millbury,
1823. His son William administered the estate.
He was a soldier in the revolution on the Lexing-
ton Alarm, April 19, 1775, in Captain Joseph
Chapin's minutemen, as drummer ; in Captain John
Tyler's company, Coloriel Joseph Read's regiment,
177=;. the company made up of men from Upton,
LTxbridge and Mendon ; corporal in Captain Samuel
Read's company, Colonel Josiah Whitney's regi-
ment. 1776-7. in New Jersey; sergeant in Captain
Benjamin Farrar's company, Colonel Benjamin
Haw's regiment in the Rhode Lland service, 1777;
enlisted for nine months in the Continental army for
the town of Uxbridge. He is described in the
rolls as aged thirty years ; five feet, ten inches



tall, with dark hair and blue eyes. He was dis-
charged and mustered out in New Jersey without
his mileage. His father died when he was a
yi ung boy, and he was brought up by Obadiah
Brown, who was appointed his guardian. He learned
the trade of shoemaker, or cordwainer. He mar-
ried Rebecca, daughter of David Draper. Their
children were: 1. William, mentioned below. 2.
Jesse, born 1769, settled in Sutton. 3. Joel, born
1771 ; settled in Uxbridge. 4. Mary, born 1774.

(VI) William Hull, son of James Wake Hull
(5), born in Uxbridge, March 31, 1767, died at
Millbury, August 13, 1849, aged eighty-two years,
five months, thirteen days. He was brought up and
educated at Uxbridge. In 1809 he bought about
five hundred acres in Millbury, and lived there the
remainder of his life. His grandson, Samuel E.
Hull, sold the last of the old farm in 1872. Will-
iam Hull was a well-to-do farmer and a man of
influence in his day. He bought of his brothers
Jesse and Joel land given to their mother by David
Draper, their grandfather. This land was in Ux-
bridge. He married Martha Wood, of the well
known Uxbridge and Mendon family. She died in
Millbury, November 14, 1858, at the age of eighty-
eight years and eight months. She and her hus-
band are buried in the Millbury cemetery. Their
children, all born at Uxbridge or Millbury, were :
1. Jabez, born October, 1789; married Hannah,
daughter of Le Baron Putnam, of Sutton ; died
October 1, 1844. 2. Nancy, born September 24,
1791, died September 24, 1795. 3. Martha Whitney,
born September 11, 1793; married Tyler Chamber-
Iain, March 19, 1817. 4. Paris, born July 29, 1795,
died October 6, 1803. 5. Elias, born October 7,-
1797, died October 14, 1803. 6. William born
February 19, 1800, died October 16, 1803. 7. Joel,
born May 19, 1802, died October 22, 1803. 8. Will-
iam, born July 23, 1804 ; married Lucy E. Stock-
well, 1828 : he died August 8, 1829. 9. Elias, born
September 16, 1806; see forward. 10. Nancy, born
December 22, 1808; married Stephen Stockwell, of
Sutton, May 6, 1840. 11. Mary, born July 19,
181 1, died June 13, 1813. 12. Mary, born April
4. 1814; married George Sweetzer, of Millbury.
Those deceased are all buried in Millbury ceme-
tery. As the children died, their memory was com-
memorated by naming another for the lost one.

(VII) Elias Hull, son of William Hull (6),
born at Uxbridge, Massachusetts, September 16,
1806, died at Millbury, October 23, 1871. He had
the homestead of his father, and was intelligent
and progressive, a man of high ideals, integrity of
purpose, and sterling character. He married (first)
Miriam, daughter of Benjamin and Rhoda (Aid-
rich) Wheeler, of Northbridge, May 28, 1839.
She was born in October. 1809, and died Octo-
ber 26. 1846. He married (second) February 3,
1848. Sylvia H. Smith, of Southbridge. He mar-
ried (third) Betsey Chase, May 30, i860. Chil-
dren of Elias and Miriam Hull : 1. Sylvester
Graham, born in Millbury, January 19, 1841, died
at Southbridge, November 29, 1848. 2. Samuel
Elias, see forward. 3. Ellen Rhoda, born April 24,
1846; married Henry Martin Leland. of Worces-
ter ; moved to Providence, Rhode Island. 1872.
and to Detroit, Michigan, 1890. Henry M. Leland
was one of the founders of the Leland & Faulconer
Manufacturing Company, and director in the
Cadillac Automobile Company. These two were
consolidated in 1905 under the name Cadillac Motor
Car Company, with Henrv M. Leland as general
manager, and his son, Wilfred C. Leland. as secre-
tary and acting treasurer. Children of Henry M.



WORCESTER COUNTY



171



and Ellen R. Leland : Martha, Gertrude, Leland,
Wilfred Chester Leland, and Edith Miriam Leland,
who died December 22, 1894.

(VIII) Samuel Elias Hull, only surviving son
of Elias Hull (7), was born at Millbury, Massa-
chusetts, August 12, 1843. He resided on the home
farm and helped his father until he was twenty-
one. He attended the public schools of his native
town and the Eastman Business College at Pough-
keepsie, New York. He enlisted, May, 1864, in
Tenth (unattached) Company, Massachusetts Militia
Infantry, and served at Fort Warren, guarding,
among other distinguished Confederate prisoners,
Hon. Alexander H. Stephens, vice-president of the
Confederacy. He was honorably discharged from
service in August, 1864. He entered upon business
with a saw mill that had been owned by his grand-
father and father before him, and which he oper-
ated for about four years. He then went to Wor-
cester and worked as a wood molder for five years
for I. N. Keys, patternmaker. From there he went
to Philadelphia, where he worked for about three
years for the Hale & Kilburn Manufacturing Com-
pany ; was then employed about eleven years by
C. D. Morse & Company ; and was one year watch-
man and guard in the Massachusetts State Prison
at Concord.

In April. 1871, Mr. Hull by his quickness,
courage and coolness saved five persons from
drowning. He was on the bridge at Millbury when
a carriage containing five persons was backed over
the rail into the river by the frightened horse.
Mr. Hull managed to get all five out safely. The
horse was drowned, and the town was obliged to
pay damages for the loss of the horse and vehicle,
but, in recognition of the sum that the action of
Mr. Hull had saved the town and in appreciation
of his achievement, the town at a regular meeting
in 1872 voted to present him with a watch, which
Mr. Hull treasures with commendable pride. It
bears the inscription: "In April, 1871, S. E. Hull
rescued five persons from drowning. This watch
is presented to him by the town of Millbury, Massa-
chusetts, as a testimonial of his services at that
time."

In 1882 he embarked in trade for himself, buying
the business of Briggs & Company, dealers in cot-
ton and wool, of Millbury, established some fifty
years. In 1892 he purchased of D. C. Sumner his
wool business at 112 Front street, Worcester. He
has been very successful in these enterprises, and
has developed a large trade with the mills of New
England, New Jersey. Pennsylvania and some
western states. Mr. Hull has also large mining
interests in Alaska. He made a trip to Alaska
and the West in 1905, and stayed at the mines for
several weeks. He has traveled extensively in the
United States, and made a trip abroad in 1903. He
divides his time between his business in Millbury
and Worcester, although he has always retained
his residence in his native town. He is president
of the Millbury National Bank and trustee of the
Millbury Savings Bank, a director of the Millbury
Water Company, and the only survivor of the orig-
inal board.

In politics Mr. Hull has been a very active Re-
publican. He was selectman for seven years, from
1892 to 1899, inclusive, and for four of these terms
chairman of the board. In 1900 and 1901 he repre-
sented his district, composed of the towns of Au-
burn. Douglas, Sutton and Millbury, in the general
court. He was on the committee on banks and
banking, and on labor and prisons, and was a mem-
ber of the special legislative committee which went
to Georgia to dedicate the monument erected by the



Commonwealth in memory of the Massachusetts
soldiers buried at the military prison at Anderson-
ville during the civil war. In 1905 and 1906 he
served his district in the state senate, representing
the towns of Auburn. Blackstone, Douglas, Grafton,
Hopedale. Mendon, Milford, Millbury, Northboro,
Northbridge, Oxford, Shrewsbury and Southboro,
Sutton, Upton, Uxbridge and Westboro, containing
about thirteen thousand legal voters. He received
large majorities at both his elections as state senator.
In 1905 he was on the committee on mercantile
affairs ; chairman of the prison committee, and
committees on towns. In 1906 he was chairman of
the committee on military affairs, and member of
the committees on railroads and liquor laws. He
was elected delegate to the Republican national
convention at Chicago with Hon. Charles G. Wash-
burn, to represent the Third Congressional District.
He was a prominent figure in the convention on
account of his stand for Charles W. Fairbanks for
vice-president, the nominee of the convention, and
the newspapers called Mr. Hull at the time the orig-
inal Fairbanks man. Mr. Hull is well known in
Masonic circles. He has been master of Olive
Branch Lodge, of Millbury; high priest of Tyrian
Royal Arch Chapter, of Millbury ; member of Hiram
Council, of Worcester, and of Worcester County
Commandery, Knights Templar,- and of Massachu-
setts Consistory, Lodge of Perfection. He is an
active member of George A. Custer Post, No. 70,
G. A. R., of Millbury ; of the Home Market Club
of Boston, Massachusetts Republican Club, Com-
monwealth Club of Worcester, and various other
organizations.

He married (first) May 8, 1866, Jane E. Gay,
daughter of John and Margaret (Gowen) Gay, of
Millbury. and sister of Frank C. Gay of Millbury.
She died June 6. 1902. He married (second) June
J 5. >905, Alary F. (Cole) Bowen, widow of Roland
E. Bowen, late of Millbury, and daughter of Albert
V. and Sophia Cole, of Millbury. She was born
December 21, 1845. The children of Samuel Elias
and Jennie E. Hull were : 1. Nathan R., born at
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, June 20, 1869; educated
in the public school and at Bryant & Stratton's
Business College, Boston: married Annie Fisher;
died July 10, 1904. 2. Harry C. (twin), born at
Millbury, December 2^. 1874; educated at Mill-
bury public schools, Worcester Academy (1894) ;
Brown University (1898) in the mechanical en-
gineering department : was connected with the Wor-
cester Umbrella Company for a time ; has been for
.several years with his father in the cotton and
wool waste business in Worcester ; married Helena
L. Prentiss, daughter of Frank E. and Mary Mc-
Glathery Prentiss and they have one child, Samuel
P. Hull, born April 16, 1904. at Millbury. 3. Ed-
ward F. (twin), born December 23, 1874; graduate
of the Worcester Academy (1894) and of Brown
University (1898) in the mechanical engineering
department ; was for three years connected with
the Millbury National Bank; since then has been
with his father in business : married Bertha E.
Sutton, daughter of Arthur E. and Eliza (Congdon)
Sutton, born in East Douglas. Massachusetts, and
they have one child, Jennie Phyllis, born in Mill-
bury, October 14, 1902.

DUDLEY FAMILY. Francis Dudley (1), the
immigrant ancestor of the Dudley family of Whit-
insville, and also of the branch at Sutton early in
the county history, and at Douglas and vicinity, is
believed to have been a relative of Governor Dudley,
but the connection is not known. He was born in
England about 1640, and settled about 1663 at Con-



172



WORCESTER COUNTY



cord, Massachusetts, and seems to have lived there
the remainder of his life. The family historian
thinks that Francis may have been son of John Dud-
ley, who was in Charlestown from 1655 to 1671.
Francis was a soldier in King Philip's war and re-
ceived twelve pounds, ten shillings on one pay-roll
that has been preserved, dated February 29, 1675.
He was living in 1702. The date of his death is
not known. He married Sarah Wheeler, daughter
of George Wheeler, of Concord, October 26, 1665,
and she died December 12, 1713. Their children, all
born at Concord, were : Mary, born February 9,
1666, married Joseph Fletcher. Joseph, married
Abigail Goble, 1691, died November 3, 1702, and his
father helped settle the estate. Samuel, born June
27, 1682, see forward. Sarah. John, married, May
16, 1697, Hannah Poulter, of Medford. Benjamin.

Francis, married (first) Sarah ; (second)

Abigail .

(II) Samuel Dudley, son of Francis Dudley (1),
was born at Concord, Massachusetts, June 27, 1682,
died at Douglas, Massachusetts, May 27, 1777, nearly
a hundred years old, but not so old as represented
in some of the literature about him. The writer
makes him one hundred and nine years old. He
removed to Littleton, Massachusetts, about 1714-15,
and was town clerk there 1716-17. He removed to
Sutton, Massachusetts, was among the earliest set-
tlers there, and was one of the prominent settlers
of Douglas in 1745. He was moderator of the Sut-
ton town meeting in 1728. He had the rank of
lieutenant as early as 1730, when he was elected a
deputy to the general court, the first sent from the
town of Sutton. He went again in 1731. His
prominence in the town is shown by the fact that
when the meeting house was seated he had the first
place in the front pew, and March 6, 1731-32, he was
given permission to build his pew in the meeting
house. He was constantly in positions of trust and
authority; town clerk in 1748; assessor, moderator
and selectman in 1750; selectman from 1757 to 1770;
constable 1759; member of the committee on school
money 1764 to 1768. He was for many years sealer
of weights and measures. The Dudley farm, where
he first settled in Sutton, was on the county road
between Millbury and Wilkinsonville. He built his
house on the site of the George Dudley house. He
was an extensive owner of property in Sutton. He
was a man of prominence all his life, the local
squire and justice of the peace. He was on the
first board of selectmen of the town of Douglas,
serving in 1746-47.

He married four times; (first), November If
1705, Abigail King, who died August 9, 1720; (sec-
ond), 1720, Lydia Wetherbee, who died at Douglas,
March 27, 1747; (third) unknown and (fourth)
Sarah Shepard. Children of Samuel and Abigail
Dudley, born at Concord, were : Samuel, Jr., born
July 28, 1705, married Abigail Waters ; Francis,
born December 10, 1706, married Sibyl Leland;
David, born November I, 1709 (triplet) ; Jonathan
(triplet), born November I, 1709, married Hannah
Putnam; Abigail (triplet), born November 1, 1709.
died young; Sarah, born July 28, 1713; Abigail, born
at Littleton, October 28, 1714; Mary, born at Lit-
tleton, February 22, 1716; Patty, born September
13, 1718; Rogers, born at Littleton, August 9, 1720,
see forward. Children of Samuel and Lydia Wether-
bee) Dudley were: Paul, born at Littleton, Septem-
ber 24, 1721, died young; Charles, born December
10, 1722, died without issue; William, born May 28,
1726, at Littleton. The only child of the third wife
was : Douglas or Douglasette, born September 9,
1748. at Douglas.

(Ill) Rogers Dudley, son of Samuel Dudley



(2), was born in Littleton, Massachusetts, August
9, 1720. He settled in Sutton on the old road from
Sutton to Worcester by way of Doroty Pond. He
married Mary Sibley and their children, all born at
Sutton, were: Mercy, born April 20, 1746; David,
born January 14, 1750, married Lois Whitney, men-
tioned below; Mary, born December 14, 1751, mar-
ried, 1764, Jonathan Eliot.

(IV) David Dudley, son of Rogers Dudley (3),
was born at Sutton, Massachusetts, January 14, 1750.
He was called for obvious reasons "Fat David." He
built his house in Sutton near Dorothy Pond. It
is a large old house next the present John Paul
place in Sutton. He married, December 16, 1773,
at Sutton, Lois Whitney. Their children, all born
at Sutton, were: I. John, born about 1775, married
Huldah Gould and had — Lois W., wife of Caleb Cut-
ting, and their daughter Susan married Francis
Strong. 2. David, born June 5, 1781, married Phebe
Dudley, 1804, died No, ember 3, 1836, at Sutton;
they had — Caleb, born 1804, died October 22, 1830;
Peter, born 1807, died July 31, 1840; Elbridge Gerry,
born 1810, died April 12, 1834; Betsey E., born 1815,
died April 19, 1834; David, born September 24, 1817,
the well known shuttle manufacturer. 3. Luther,
whose daughter Mary Ann married Cutting. 4.

Sally. 5. Betsey, born February 9, 1787, married.

August 18, 181 1, John Marsh. 6. Dr. Joseph, born
March 14, 1790. 7. Amasa, born October 17, 1792,

see forward. 8. Polly, born 1795, married

Dwinel, of Brooklyn.

(V) Amasa Dudley, son of David Dudley (4),
was born in Sutton, Massachusetts, October 17,
1792. He removed to Albany, New York, and later
to Amsterdam, New York, but about 1S18 returned
to Whitinsville. He resided later at Manchaug in
Sutton and at Uxbridge, an adjoining town. His
large brick house in Uxbridge is readily found. He
was a merchant, proprietor of a general store at
Uxbridge and at the various other towns mentioned.
He married Ann Fletcher and their children were :
Joseph Amasa, see forward; Paul Whitin, see for-
ward ; William Neil, born April 20, 1820, died May
I, 1S22; William Henry, born November 23, 1S23,
married, January 1, 1850, Susan Johnson; settled at
Charlotte, Michigan ; he is a hardware merchant.

(VI) Joseph Amasa Dudley, son of Amasa
Dudley (5), was born at Albany, New York, Sep-
tember 5, 1815. He was educated in the public
schools of Uxbridge. He had a long and very suc-
cessful career as a wholesale druggist in New York
city. Outside of his business Mr. Dudley was in-



Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 50 of 133)