Ellery Bicknell Crane.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) online

. (page 53 of 133)
Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 53 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


by the death of the contractor, building the First
Congregational Church on Colony street, Meriden,
Connecticut.

In 1878, when the church was completed, he re-
turned to Worcester and entered into partnership
with J. W. Bishop as contractors and builders. Mr.
Bishop had been carrying on a small business as
contractor and builder in Worcester. The new firm
opened their headquarters in an office on Central
street, Worcester. The firm was very successful
and soon was among the largest builders in this
part of the state. They constructed hundreds of
buildings of every description, not only in Worces-
ter but in all sections of the country. They had
large contracts at Providence. Some of the large
buildings in Worcester built by this firm were the
Pilgram Church, Old South Church, the Public
Library Extension and the Armory.

In 1893 the firm of Cutting & Bishop was dis-
solved, each of the two partners becoming the head
of a great and successful business. Excepting only
the Norcross business this firm and the succeeding
business that each established have been the most
succesful in this section of New England. Mr.
Bishop organized the J. W. Bishop Company, which
has headquarters on Foster street, Worcester. Mr.
Cutting organized the firm of Cutting, Bardwell &
Co. His partners were Everett J. Bardwell, Burton
C. Fiske and William W. Carter. Among the large
contracts of Cutting, Bardwell & Co. were the con-
struction of the Y. M. C. A. building at Fitchburg,
Massachusetts, the Leominster Town Hall, Uni-
tarian Church, Leominster Bank building, four
large mills at Ludlow, Massachusetts, for the Lud-
low Company and handsome private residences in
Boston for Mr. Hubbard of the Ludlow Com-
pany on Commonwealth avenue and for Mr.
Hubbard of the company on Bay State road,
in all amounting to over a million dollars,
the Grosvenordale cotton mills, extensive brick
buildings at Grosvenordale. Connecticut. Cut-
ting. Bardwell & Co. constructed the hydrant system
at Grosvenordale, Connecticut. They built the
Medford high school building, one of the modern
school buildings in Boston, many buildings for the
Boston Wharf Co., the magnificent plant of the Nor-
wood Press, established by Grafton Cushing at Nor-
wood, Massachusetts, the new Pearl Street Baptist
Church at Hartford, Connecticut, on Farmington
avenue.



i8o



WORCESTER COUNTY



In 1900 Mr. Bardwell sold his interests in the
firm to his partners. Mr. Bardwell went to Boston
and became connected with the firm of H. P. Cum-
mings & Co. George B. Cutting, son of the senior
partner, entered the firm. Mr. Fiske and Mr. Car-
ter remained in the firm. The name of the firm
was changed to G. H. Cutting & Co. In the past
five years the business of the firm has been greater
than ever. In the spring of 1900 Mr. Cutting went
south to begin the erection of a series of cotton
mills and they have achieved unusual success in this
new field. He built first at Gainesville, Georgia, one
of the largest cotton mills in the south. It is known
as the Pacolet No. 4 and has a capacity of 60,000
spindles. Besides the brick mill buildings he erected
one hundred and eighty tenement houses, all of
which were double houses, having two six-room
tenements in each tenement. The buildings form
a village in themselves just outside the city limits
of Gainesville, near the New Holland Spring. The
firm had the contract next for the Gainesville cotton
mills about two miles from the Pacolet mills. Here
a modern brick mill with a capacity of thirty thou-
sand spindles was erected, besides which the com-
pany erected eighty houses for employees. Mr. Cut-
ting took personal charge of this southern work.
He built a large new mill at Abbeville, South Caro-
lina, then a mill with a capacity of thirty thousand
spindles at Greenville, South Carolina. This is
known as the Woodside mill and the company had
also seventy-five houses built by G. H. Cutting & Co.
Mr. Cutting constructed the famous Gluck mill of
the Anderson Cotton Mill Company, at Anderson,
South Carolina. This mill has a capacity of thirty
thousand spindles and is a new departure in mill
construction in that it is only one story high.

The handsome plant built at Gainesville for the
cotton company was wrecked by a cyclone June 7,
1903, and Mr. Cutting had the contract to restore
the buildings. Two stories had been entirely de-
stroyed. A freshet and cloudburst brought disaster
July 9th in the same year to the Pacolet mills. Two
mills were washed out, dams destroyed and ware-
houses swept away. He restored the dam, rebuilt
mill No. 3 and is now building on the site of mill
No. 1 a forty thousand spindle mill, one hundred and
seven by five hundred feet. The damage done at
Pacolet by that .cloudburst amounted m less than
an hour to one million, five hundred thousand
dollars.

Among other buildings not mentioned that this
firm built in the south is the new Baptist church at
Spartanburg, South Carolina, said to be the finest
church in the state. It is of yellow brick, trimmed
with brown-stone.

The firm has been carrying on an equally large
business in the north. They built the Weymouth,
Massachusetts, Public Library. They have built
two large buildings at Quincy for the Fore River
Ship Building Co., one an erecting room one story
high, sixty by two hundred feet, the other a large
galvanizing room. They had the contract and built
the power plant for the Worcester & Southbridge
Railroad at Charlton, Massachusetts. They con-
structed new quarters for the woolen mills of Dex-
ter & Son at Newport, New Hampshire, replacing
those built eighty years before. They are now
building three large mills at Ludlow, Massa-
chusetts, for the Ludlow Associates, a resi-
dence at Hudson, Massachusetts, for ex-Con-
gressman Apsley, a spacious addition to the
Grafton flax works, ten tenement houses and
store house at Barre, Massachusetts, for Wiley &
Co. in connection with their carding plant, a thirty
thousand dollar summer house and seventeen thou-



sand dollar stable and servants' quarters at New-
port, Rhode Island. They have a. large contract at
Winooski, Vermont, for two mills. The American
Woolen Company is building one, the Burlington
mills the other. Within sight of the place where his-
uncle Amos was killed while constructing the rail-
road bridge across the Winooski river, Mr. Cutting
is erecting a bridge for these concerns from the
mainland to an island in the Winooski river, where
their property is located. That was in 1848, half a
century ago, when Amos Cutting died. The contrast
in the methods of that day and the present are well
illustrated by contrasting the work of uncle and
nephew in the same town.

In addition to the business of G. H. Cutting &
Co., Mr. Cutting has been interested in the granite
business. With Peter Ross he bought the Milford
Granite Company with quarries at Milford, Massa-
chusetts, and bought more land in Milford until they
owned some two hundred acres. The granite busi-
ness was incorporated as the G. H. Cutting Granite
Co. Recently this company joined forces with Nor-
cross Bros., the Bay State Granite Co., and the Mil-
ford Pink Granite Co. and formed the Consolidated
-Milford Quarries, a corporation of which O. W.Nor-
cross is president, B. C. Fiske, F. H. Dewey, Lois
Britton, George O. Draper and George H. Cutting
are directors. Among the large contracts that Mr.
Cutting's company had at the' time of merging was
the state of New York monument on Lookout
Mountain, where was fought the "Battle above the
Clouds'' in the civil war. This monument will cost_
seventy-five thousand dollars. It is a difficult engi-
neering feat to transport the stone to the top of
Lookout Mountain, three thousand feet above the
Tennessee river. Few memorials of the civil war
have as sightly a location as this will be. It com-
memorates the gallantry of the Ninth New York
Regiment which scaled the steep mountain side and
drove out the Confederates. The magnificent scenery
has attracted many tourists. A good hotel has-
been built at the summit and hundreds of summer
homes on the mountain.

In 1903 Mr. Cutting had his second serious ill-
ness. He had a severe attack of nervous dyspepsia,
from which he slowly recovered and at present he
is in vigorous health. Few men of his years have
half his energy. Year by year Mr. Cutting has
grown in mental strength and vigor and lost
little physically. He has shown a constant
growth in business capacity. While he is
fortunate in the character of his partners,
the extent of the business with which he is in
touch, the multitude of details that must come to
his attention, the hazards of business, the difficulties
of managing armies of help widely scattered over
the country, indicate the ability of the head of this
firm. Personally Mr. Cutting is a strong and agree-
able person. He loves his business and is today one
of the best informed men in his line of business,
for he is still a student of papers and books that
deal with the art and science of architecture.

In politics and religion he is independent. He
is a Mason, having joined the order years ago at
St. Johnsbury, Vermont. He was made a master
Mason in the lodge at Troy, Vermont, and was im-
mediately elected secretary. He was senior warden
and master of the lodge, but left the town during his
term of office. He took the chapter and council de-
grees at Hartford, Connecticut, and joined the Wor-
cester County Commandery after he returned to
Worcester.

He married, September 19, 1863, Vamelia Hous-
ton, daughter of James Houston, who was the son
of James Houston, of Waterbury, Vermont. They



WORCESTER COUNTY



181



have one son : George B. Cutting, born at Troy,
Vermont, July 16, 1864. Since 1889 Mr. Cutting has
resided at 67 Cedar street.

(Y1I) Amos Porter Cutting, son of Hiram Cut-
ting (6), was born September 13, 1839. He mar-
ried Lora Jane Smith, daughter of Thomas Smith.
He died at Los Angeles, California, February 6,
1896. He was a leading architect of Worcester.
The children, of Amos Porter and Lora Jane
(Smith) Cutting were: Amos Walter, born Feb-
ruary 7, 1870; Nellie May, died young; Minnie
Gertrude, born February 10, 1873, married, Septem-
ber 9, 1896, Nelson S. Pike, of Worcester, resides
in Worcester; Frank Herbert, born May 3, 1S74,
married Marion I. Gates, daughter of Edwin Gates,
of Worcester, November 10, 1897 ; Jennie, born
June 26, 1877, married Alfred E. Studley, October
■8, 1901 ; Harry Smith, born November I, 1879, mar-
ried Violet E. Craft, of Worcester, October 14,
1903, resides in Worcester; Arthur Grover, born
October 22, 1880, married Grace A. Fisher, of Bel-
chertown, Massachusetts, January 1, 1902, resides in
Springfield, Massachusetts; Norman Seth, died
young; Florence, died young; Daisy Lena, born No-
vember 1, 1886.

(VII) James Rood Cutting, son of Hiram Cut-
ting (.6), was born September 30, 1841. He married
Josephine Scott. They settled at Newport, Ver-
mont, where they are now (1906) living. Their
children are : Charlie Rood, born 1875, resides at
Newport, Vermont; Wayne, lives in Ohio; Harold
Scott, lives in Montana.

(VIII) George Bradley Cutting, son of George
Hiram Cutting (7), was born in Troy, Vermont,
where his father's family was living at the time,
July 16, 1864. On March 17, 1865, his parents re-
moved to Worcester and he has since then resided
there. He was educated in the Worcester schools.
He graduated from the Classical high school in
1884. After a business experience of two years he
studied architecture with his uncle, Amos Porter
Cutting, who was conceded to be one of the best
architects ever practicing in Worcester. After six
years experience as an architect he has been asso-
ciated with his father in the well known firm of
George H. Cutting & Co., carpenters and builders,
of Worcester. Mr. Cutting is a well known Mason.
He is a member of Athelstane Lodge, Eureka Chap-
ter and Hiram Council, all of Worcester. He is a
member of the Worcester Automobile Club. In
politics he is a Republican.

Mr. Cutting married, December 19, 1894, Janet
Chapin, daughter of Ezra W. and Ellen Frances
(Cooper) Chapin, of Northborough, Massachusetts.
They have one child: Ezra Chapin, born June 3,
1897-

CHAPfN FAMILY. (I) Deacon Samuel Chapin
was the ancestor of George H. Cutting, of Worces-
ter, through a maternal line. He was born in Eng-
land and settled in Springfield, where he was ad-
mitted a freeman June 2, 1641. He was elected a
town officer in 1643 and "deacon of the church in
1649. He was employed to conduct services part
of the time, 1656-7, when there was no minister in
town. He was a commissioner appointed by the
.general court to hear small causes in 165 1 and 1660,
-and his commission was extended in 1654 so that he
was probably the local magistrate for a long period
of time. He died November 11, 1675. His wife
Cisely died February 8, 1683. His will was dated
March 4, 1674-5, proved March 24, 1676. He be-
queathed to his wife, his son Henry and grandson
Thomas Gilbert. The widow bequeathed to sons :
Henry Chapin, of Springfield, and Josiah Chapin,
of Braintree : daughter Catherine, wife of Samuel



Marshrield, Sarah Thomas and Hannah Hitchcock;
to Henry Gilbert, apprentice to John Hitchcock.
Her son Japhet was executor. The children of Sam-
uel Chapin (.1) were: Japhet, born 1642, died Feb-
ruary 20, 1712; Henry, died April 29, 1668; Henry,
died August 15, 1718, resided in that part of Spring-
field now Chicopee; David, resided in the centre
part of Springfield, later removed to Boston ; Josiah,
of whom later; Catherine, died February 4, 1712;
Sarah, married, April 14, 1647, Rowland Thomas,
had thirteen children; died August 5, 1684; Hannah,
born at Springfield, December 2, 1644, married, Sep-
tember 27, 1606, John Hitchcock, had nine children.

(.II) Josiah Chapin, son of Deacon Samuel
Chapin (1), was born probably in England, 1634.
He married (first), at the age of about twenty- four
years, Mary King, in Weymouth, November, 1658.
She died May 30, 1676. He married (second), at
Ipswich, Lydia Brown, September 20, 1676. She
died October 11, 1711. He married (third),
June 22, 1713, Mehitable Metcalf. She died
December 2, 1724. He died September 10,
1726, at the advanced age of ninety-two years. He
settled in Weymouth and later in Braintree, where
he resided for more than twenty years and fourteen
of his fifteen children were born in Braintree. He
removed to Mendon in Worcester county, Massachu-
setts, where the fifteenth child was born in 1684.
He was one of the original grantees of the town
of Mendon and one of its most prominent citizens
in the early days. He built the first saw mill in the
town. He held many public offices and was chair-
man of the selectmen for twenty years. He repre-
sented the town in the general court. He left many
descendants. The record of his children and grand-
children in his own handwriting has been preserved.

His children were : Samuel, born at Weymouth,
November 11, 1659, drowned at sea April 10, 1692;
John, born at Braintree, June 11, 1661, died at sea
1686; Mary, born at Braintree, August 27, 1662,
married Joseph Adams, of Braintree, 1682, died
June 14, 1687 ; Deborah, born at Braintree, June 16,
1664, died August 16, 1668; Josiah, born at Brain-
tree, December 17, 1665, slain in Lord Russell's
fight May 20, 1693 ; Shem, born at Braintree, May
11, 1667, died June 6, 1667; Seth, born at Brain-
tree, August 4, 1668, conspicuous as an early settler
of Milford; Joseph, born at Braintree, May 17,
1670, soldier in the army, never married; Henry,
born at Braintree, February 15, 1671, died March
20. 1671 ; Ephraim, born at Braintree, December 18,
1673, settled in Uxbridge, Massachusetts, and was
prominent there; Deborah, born in Braintree, Feb-
ruary 12, 1675, married Samuel Read, of Mendon,
July 8, 1693; Lydia, born at Braintree, September
29, 1677, married Daniel Taft, December 6, 1706;
Sarah, born at Braintree, March 12, 1679, married
Ebenezer Read, February 7, 1703-4; David, born at
Braintree, November 11, 1680, married, and died
October 4, 1704; Hannah, born at Mendon, Novem-
ber 11. 1684. married John Holbrook, June 13, 1706.

(Ill) Captain Seth Chapin, son of Josiah Chapin
(2), was born at Braintree, August 4, 1668. He
married (first) Mary Read. She died without issue
September 12, 1689. He married (second) Bethiah
Thurston, March 25, 1691. She died after having
fourteen children, March 2, 1744. He died April,
1746. It appears from the old proprietary records
that Captain Seth Chapin had acquired a family
heme and domicile near the Post Lane bridge on
Mill river some time previous to May 26, 1700, for
at that time he had the following-described parcel of
land laid out to him : "Forty five acres of the 4th
division laid out to Seth Chapin and in possession
of said Chapin, encompassing the said Chapin's



1 82



WORCESTER COUNTY



homestead and meadow on the Mill River," etc. He
went on adding parcel after parcel to his real estate
till he became the owner of several hundred acres
in what is now Milford, Massachusetts. In 1713
he and his wife made a deed of gift to their son,
Seth, Jr., of sixty acres in what is now South Hope-
dale. They sold their homestead August 31, 1715,
to Josiah Wood, formerly of Concord, and removed
to Mendon to live with or near the venerable par-
ents of Mr. Chapin. He held many places of pub-
lic honor and trust in Mendon.

The children of Captain Seth Chapin (3)
were : Seth, born at Medfield, July 2, 1692, a con-
spicuous citizen of Milford ; Bethiah, born February
16, 1693, married Jonathan Thayer, Jr., October 1,
1714; Josiah, born March 1, 1695-6; John, born May
13, 1698, always lived in Milford, deacon of the
church; Mary, born April 30, 1700, married Robert
Taft; Samuel, born June 2, 1702; Deborah, born
June 14, 1704, married Nathaniel Nelson, April 15,
1725; Hopestill, born November 27, 1715, married
(second) Dr. John Corbett ; Joseph, born March
6, 1707, married Mary Nelson, February 5, 1729;
Abigail, born June 10, 1710; Lydia, born February

2, 1712, married Taft; Benjamin, born April

6, 1713, married Sarah French; Ebenezer, born De- .
cember 23, 1714, lived and died in old Mendon;
Japheth, born February 24, 1716, died April 15,
1717.

(IV) John Chapin. son of Seth Chapin (3), was
born near Milford, Massachusetts, May 13, 1698.

He married Dorcas . She died August 22,

1767. He married (second) Ruth Bullard, of Sher-
born, September 10, 1768. She had no children. He
settled in what is now South Hopedale near his
brother Seth. His farm has been called in late
years the Ezekiel White place. It was a handsome
estate and Deacon John Chapin, as he was generally
known, seemed to hold a high place in society. He
was one of the original twenty-six members of the
mother church in Mendon who formed the second
church in Milford in 1741. He was prominent in
the new church and precinct and was chosen deacon
in 1749. He died August 31, 1777, leaving a will
according to which his estate was settled by his son,
John, Jr. His wife survived him.

His children were : "Dorcas, born 1720, married
Benjamin Thurston Grafton, November 24, 1738;
Josiah, born 1722, died young; Bethiah, born 1724,
married Thomas Walker, of Hopkinton, Massachu-
setts, April 12, 1750; Japheth, born 1726, married
Patience Hayward, November 5, 1749; Joshua, born
1728, married Mary Hayward, March 20, 1750 ;
John, Jr., born 1730, resided in Milford, deacon and
elder of the church; Solomon, born 1733, married
Joanna White, May 28, 1754; Peter, born 1736.

(V) John Chapin, son of John Chapin (4), was
born in Milford, Massachusetts, 1730. He married
Rhoda Albee, May 28, 1754. She was the daughter
of Obadiah and Jean Albee. born June 1, 1731. They
settled on the paternal homestead in what is now
South Hopedale on the farm lately known as the
Ezekiel White place. He was chosen deacon of the
church at Milford in 1774 and an elder in 1785. The
records show that he stood well in the estimation
of the community. He sold his property in 1804
and left the town to live with some of his children
at Heath ; he died there in 1813, aged eighty-four.

The children of John and Rhoda (Albee) Chapin
were: Bethiah, born 1755, married Levi Hayward,
May jo, 1776, settled in Tow.nsend, Vermont; Isaac,
born 1756, married Rachel Wheaton, October 18,
1781 ; Jacob, born 1758, died young; Rhoda, born

1760, married Wedge, settled in Heath,

Massachusetts; Jacob, born September 27, 1762,



member of Milford church 1786; Olive; Phebe, born
1766, married Stephen Thompson, May 4, 1783, set-
tled in Heath; John, born 1768, married Lydia
Wedge, April 29, 1792 (See Wedge Family) ; Ziba,
born 1770, removed to Jamaica, Vermont; Perly,
born 1772.

(VI) John Chapin, son of John Chapin (5),
was born at Milford, Massachusetts, 1768. He mar-
ried Lydia Wedge, daughter of Daniel and Hannah
(Wiswall) Wedge, born November, 1769. They had
three children in Milford and then apparently left
their native town, going perhaps to Heath, Massa-
chusetts, at first but probably directly to Lyme, New
Hampshire, where seven more children were born.
They finally removed to Peruville, Tompkins county,
New York, where both died. He died February
9, 1859, and she died November 6, 1854. He was a
farmer. The children of John and Lydia (Wedge)
Chapin were : Phebe, born February 21, 1793, mar-
ried John Cook; Candace, born October 26, 1794,.

died January 12, 1797; Candace, 2d, married

Perry; Sally, born February 26, 1796, married John
(or William C.) Nelson and had George Nelson;

James, married Wooliever ; Hannah, married

Breck ; Lydia, married Moody Hews, had

Lavinia; John, married Mary Cutting, had Harriet,
Harris, John; Harriet Chapin, married Hiram Cut-
ting (see sketch of George H. Cutting and family) ;
Eliza, married Harvey Hammond, had Candacer
Hammond, married Ross, resides at Oak-
land, California ; Freeman Hammond resides at Sut-
ton, Province of Quebec ; John Hammond resides.
in Sutton, Province of Quebec ; two other daugh-
ters ; Mandana, married Ahiva Rodgers, has chil-
dren.

(VII) Harriet Chapin, daughter of John Chapira
(6), was born at Lyme, New Hampshire. She mar-
ried Hiram Cutting. (See sketch of George H.
Cutting and family.)

WEDGE FAMILY. (I) Thomas Wedge, one
of the ancestors of George H. Cutting, of Worces-
ter, is first mentioned in the records of Lancaster,
where he settled before 1667. About three years
later he removed to Sudbury, where he settled and
spent the remainder of his life. Deborah Stevens,
his wife, died in Norwich, Connecticut, 1703; he
died in Sudbury, September 6, 1685. Three of their
children are on the Lancaster records, the births of
seven are recorded at Sudbury, as follows. 1. John,
born April 28, 1667. 2. Mary, born May 12, 1668.
3. Joshua, born March 30, 1670. 4. Isaac, born at
Sudbury, April 13, 1672, married Hannah and had,
before leaving Sudbury, daughter Thankful, born
July 30, 1700. 5. Deborah, born July 3, 1674. 6.
David, born December 9, 1678, went to Brookfield,
Massachusetts, in 1716, and received a thirty acre
home lot, later seventy-seven acres more. He mar-
ried Joanna . Some of their children were :

A son born July 22, 1722; a son born October 22,
1724; a son born July 4, 1726; a daughter born
March 12, 1731. This was Hannah, who married,
September, 1757. Benjamin Griffin. One of the sons
was Thomas. Possibly another was Daniel Wedge,
of Medfield. 7. Abel, born May 1. 1680. 8. Han-
nah, born March 10, 1675-6, died November 13,
1682. 9. Deliverance, born March 15, 1685-6. 10.
Thomas, born January 11, 1683, died November 9,
1686.

(Ill) Daniel Wedge, son of David Wedge (2),
grandson of Thomas Wedge (1), was born in-
Brookfield, about 1710. He married Experience
Clark, at Medfield, Massachusetts, and they settled 1
there. He died in South Milford, where his two
sons settled in September, 1761. The children of
Daniel and Experience (Clark) Wedge were: I.



WORCESTER COUNTY



i§3



Daniel, born February 3, 1735-6. 2. Jephthah, born
December 23, 1737, married Esther Marshall, daugh-
ter of Joseph and Mary (Leland) Marshall, who was
born in Holliston, August 3, 1738, married, No-
vember 17, 1757, had nine children; he died at
Milford, June 18, 1823 ; she died July 17, 1808.

(IV) Daniel Wedge, son of Daniel Wedge (3),
was born at Medford, Massachusetts, February 3,
T 735-6. He married Hannah Wiswall, daughter of
Thomas and Sarah (Daniell) Wiswall, born No-



Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 53 of 133)