Ellery Bicknell Crane.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) online

. (page 55 of 133)
Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 55 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Plainfield, Connecticut. He was converted there
in a revival of great power under the preaching
of Elder Amos Weaver. So great was the public
interest at the time that work was suspended in
the factory. He is said to have felt and shown the
influence of that revival all his life. After he mar-
ried at Plainfield and had one child, Silas, he re-
moved to Sherborn, Chenango county, New York,
but soon returned to Connecticut, removed to
Blackstone, then to Wheelock's village in Uxbridge,
and was for a long time employed in the old Ux-
bridge woolen mills as wool sorter and purchaser.
He took charge of a boarding house at North Ux-
bridge village until a few years before the war,
when he settled on the farm where he died. He
reared a family of four sons and three daughters
after the old fashion, teaching them self-reliance,
how to work and principles of piety, as well as
knowledge of books, and the father lived to see
in them the ripe fruits of his training. While
he resided at Wheelock's his house was open to
the minister, and from there his boys regularly
walked on Sunday morning to the meeting at
North Uxbridge village. Prayer meetings were
held at the school house, which was opened for
the purpose through his influence. In 1842, when
the Baptist church at North Uxbridge was formed,
he was elected its first deacon and was one of the
first delegates to the association and a member of
the first visiting committee.

Through its dark days, when the church had
no settled pastor, wdien the mills were shut down
and times hard, he was active in raising funds and
securing pulpit supplies. Largely through his en-
deavors the church was maintained. It was no
unusual thing for him to draw the wood, cut it,
and tend the fire at the old hall. For years he had
in mind the erection of a church building, and
again to his efforts the success of the plan for
building the church was due. Of the final debt of
$2,800 he contributed a thousand dollars to pay it
off. He was a man of positive convictions and
many virtues. His influence in the community was
far-reaching and uplifting. Through his associa-
tions were with Uxbridge people, his house was
just over the line in Northbridge. In his business
lie was an expert judge of wool, and he was re-
peatedly sent west by the manufacturers of Ux-
bridge to buy wool for their factories. The last
few vears of his life he spent on his farm.

He married, in 1835, at Plainfield, Connecticut,
Emily Lawton, and in 1885 they celebrated their
golden wedding. She was born in 1817 and died in
February, 1887, and he died six weeks later, aged
eighty-one years. The children : Silas Lawton,
born February 2. 1836. died at Hamilton, Rhode
Island. 1904 : wool sorter ; married. December 12,
i86r. Maria Cushman : Henry W., born September
2, 1838, see forward ; Ira H., born August 25, 1840,
see forward: Emily A., born February 8. 1844,
married, July 4, 1861, George Hall; Mary M., born
January 15. 1850, married. August 29. 1883. William
C. Wood : Louise, died February 7, 1855 : Lewis
E., died March 10. 1850: Sarah A., born October
26. 18.17. died October 10, 1882 : Charles Fremont,
born October 20. i8=;6, see forward.

(VIII) Henry W. Parkis. son of Ira Parkis,
the first for many generations who 'used the ancient
form of Parkis in spelling his name, was born in
Uxbridge. Massachusetts. September 2, 1838. He
attended the academy. In 1868 he bought a gen-
era! store in Slatersville, Rhode Island, and con-



WORCESTER COUNTY



187



ducted it until 1901 very successfully. He is a
Republican in politics and a Baptist in religion"
He is prominent in public affairs. For twenty years
he was president of the Slatersville Bank. He mar-
ried, November 20, 1861, Mary B. Lackey, born
July, 1840. in Sutton, daughter of Amory D. and
Lydia (Burden) Lackey, of Sutton. Their chil-
dren : Emma, born April 7, 1864 : Alice, Novem-
ber ir, 1S71 ; William H., December 6, 1876, died
August 22, 1877. Emma is a graduate of the
Woonsocket high school (Rhode Island) in 1S83.
Alice attended the Whitinsville high school and the
academy at Saxton's River, went to Vassar Col-
lege two years and Boston University one year,
now with John Hancock Life Insurance Company
of Boston.

(VIII) Ira Harrison Parkis, son of Ira Parkis
(7), was born in Uxbridge, Massachusetts, August
25, 1840, and died July 4, 1897. He attended the
L'xbridge public schools. He began his mercantile
career as clerk in the general store in Whitinsville
owned by P. W. Dudley. When the civil war
broke out he enlisted in Company H, Fifteenth
Regiment. He took part and was wounded in the
battle of Antietam. His wound nearly proved fatal.
He was in the hospital for months. He was mus-
tered out August 6, 1864, as sergeant, a post he
was elected to October ig, 1863. After his recovery
he was stationed at Lockport, New York. He re-
turned after the war and entered partnership with
his brother, H. W. Parkis, in the general store at
Slatersville. Rhode Island. His children : Herb-
ert Ira, born at Walpole, Massachusetts, November,
1866, attended the public schools and graduated
from the high school in 1887; he worked with his
father until his death ; then in the Whitinsville
Machine Works and at present is teller in the Whit-
insville National Bank ; married Mary R.
Tabor, born at Slatersville. 1865, graduate of the
Reading (Massachusetts high school, and they have
four children — Edith ; Chester, deceased ; Helen,
and Samuel, deceased. Edmund W., educated at
the Slatersville public school and at Woonsocket
hiph school: has three children: Henry H., grad-
uate of the University School, Providence. Arthur.
Nellie Waterman. Ernest A. Florence E.. educated
at the Slatersville public and high schools and at
Wheaton Academy and Vermont Academy, gradu-
ated from the State Normal school at Providence
in 1903 ; taught school at Howard. Rhode Island,
one year and at Clarke school, Whitinsville, one
year. William L., graduate of Whitinsville high
school. 1905, now a post graduate student there.

(VIII) Charles Fremont Parkis, son of Ira
Parkis (7). was born at Northbridge, Massachu-
setts, October 20, 1856. He was educated in the
public and high schools. He began to work for
the Taylor & Farley Organ Company, in Wor-
cester. In 1874 he went to Toledo, Ohio, as book-
keeper for a banking house and remained there
about eighteen years. He returned east in 1892
and was substitute bookkeeper in the banks until
1897, when he went to Whitinsville and was ap-
pointed teller of the Whitinsville Savings and Whit-
insville National Bank, both institutions being in
the same offices. He was appointed cashier of the
National Bank and treasurer of the Savings Bank
in 1901. When the banks were separated under
the new law, Mr. Parkis retained his position as
cashier of the National Bank.

DR. WILLIAM E. BALMER. William Bal-
mer, father of Dr. William E. Balmer. was a promi-
nent citizen of Whitinsville. He married Sarah Ray
and their children were: Dr. William E., see for-



ward: Robert, born 1876, married, June, 1905,
Rachel Rice Kenney ; John Thurston, born 1881 ;
Ellen Louisa, born 1884, married, June, 1904, Will-
iam Sharpe; daughter, died in infancy.

Dr. William E. Balmer, son of William Balmer,
was born July 12, 1873, in Whitinsville, in the
town of Northbridge, Massachusetts. He was edu-
cated there in the public and high schools, at Wil-
liston Seminary, where he fitted for college, at
Yale University, where he was graduated in 1897.
He studied medicine at the Yale Medical Scho il,
and graduated in 1901 with the degree of M. D.
He was appointed on the staff of St. Elizabeth's-
Hospital. Boston. He entered general practice in
Whitinsville in 1902. He is a member of the
Massachusetts Medical Society. In politics he is
a Republican ; in religon a Congregationalist. He
has taken the various degrees in Free Masonry,
including the Knight Templar and Mystic Shrine,
and is well known in Masonic circles.

He married Josephine Auguste Clark, born in
Wales, Massachusetts, November 7. 1878. She
graduated from the Northbridge high school in
1S97, from Mt. Holyoke College in 1901. She
taught school one year at Linwood. Massachusetts,
and was governess for Chester W. Lasell's children
two years. She was the daughter of Barton San-
ford and Mary J. E. Clark, of Linwood, Massa-
chusetts. Her father was born at Holland, Massa-
chusetts, and was christened Sanford Barton Clark :
married Mary J. Clark, daughter of Joseph B. and
Phebe Ann (Slater) Clark, of Harrisville, Rhode
Island. Mrs. Balmer was their only child. Her
grandfather was Lervey Clark, son of Moses Clark,
horn at Holland. Massachusetts, he married Dorcas
Maria Moore and their children were — Sanford
Barton, mentioned above : George Briggs, Everett,
Charles B. and Alice Clark.

THE DAY FAMILY OF WINCHENDON is
believed to have descended from an Englishman
named Randolph Day, who in 1630 was a tenant
or lessee of John Sedborough, who had in 1610
or about that time received a grant of the escheated
lands in the north of Ireland. This grant was lo-
cated in county Fermanagh, precinct of Clancally,
in the northwest part of the island, near the coast
and just south of Tyrone where so many of the
Protestant immigrants to America in 1718-1750 came
from. Day probably went to Ireland between the
years 1620 and 1630 with neighbors in England
who were encouraged by the government to settle
in Ireland. Some of the other twelve lessees on
this estate were: Hugh Stokes. Robert Allen,
Stephen Allen, Joseph Dickinson, all of them being
British as well as the landlord or "Undertaker,"
as the proprietors were called.

(I) Deacon Richard Day, the immigrant ances-
tor, was bnrn in Ireland, about 1720. He came to
America when a young man and lived for a time
in Ipswich, Massachusetts. Many efforts have been
made, from the fact that he came from Ipswich to-
his home in Winchendon (Ipswich. Canada), to
trace his ancestry to Robert Day. the progenitor
of the Puritan family who settled in Ipswich about
the time that Randolph Day settled in Ireland. It
is possihle that Richard Dav knew that he had dis-
tant relatives at Ipswich. Some account of Robert
Day will be found elsewhere in this work.

Who Richard Day's father was is not known.
But the records indicate that the ancestor of the
Protestant family of Day in Ireland was Randolph
Day. There was no other Day among the thousands
of settlers from Scotland and England, when King-
James tried to suppress the Irish by introducing'



1 88



WORCESTER COUNTY



loyal Protestant subjects by the thousands in Irish
homes, dispossessing the Catholic tenants from
nearly four million acres of land.

Richard Day removed to Groton after living a
short time in Lunenburg. He was married at
Lunenburg by Rev. David Sterns to Ruth Pouchee
or Pushey, as it was spelled later, December 8, 1748.
Both were recorded as of Lunenburg, but their
■first child was born in Groton in the summer of
1749. They removed to Winchendon in 1752; Mrs.
Day was the daughter of Gabriel Pouchee, an Ar-
cadian French exile. Her mother lived tD the ex-
treme age of one hundred and four years. The
Pushee or Pouchee family was in Winchendo'i be-
fore Day, and Nathan Pushee. of Ipswich, Canada,
sold Lot No. 2, First Division, originally Thomas
Berry's lot or "draft" in 1752, and Thomas Beriy,
himself then of Ipswich, sold, December 15, 1752,
his first division lot in Ipswich, Canada (Winchen-
don), to Richard Day, of Groton. There is also
a deed from Thomas Epes, of Ipswich, to Richard
Day, of Ipswich, Canada, for one hundred acres
of land in Winchendon, dated November 8, 1757.

On this extensive tract of land Deacon Day
huilt in 1752 what was then the finest and largest
and first frame house in the town, still standing in
good repair. He also built first a log tavern, the
location of which is south of the Isaac Cummings
house, where he kept a hotel and the first white
child was born. He was a cooper by trade.

Deacon Day was the foremost citizen of the town
as long as he lived. He was moderator of the first
town meeting, which was held at his house, town
treasurer for several years, selectman in 1766-71-73.
He was the first deacon of the church, and held
many other offices of trust and honor. He was a
man of great strength and endurance, of high char-
acter and greatly respected. His death was caused
hy injuries received from a falling tree. He died
intestate in the prime of life, May 3, 1774. Three
of his sons fought in the revolution.

Children of Richard and Ruth Day were : John,
see forward ; Hannah, born at Groton, May 26, 1752,
died Anril 22, 1774; Nathan, born at Lunenburg
(recorded there), October 2, 1754, died in Somer-
ville. August 12, 1775 ; Sarah, born at Winchendon,
April 11, 1757; Ruth, born October 27, 1759, at
Winchendon (also all the rest were born in Winch-
endon) ; Daniel, born July 27, 1762; Lydia, born
October 17, 1764. died August 29, 1767; Elizabeth,
horn May 12, 1767; Lydia, born August 3, 1770;
Susannah, born September 9, 1773.

(II) John Day, eldest child of Richard Day
(1), was born in Groton, Massachusetts, August
31, 1749. In 1752 he removed with his parents
to their new home in Ipswich, Canada, where he
received a rather meagre schooling, and spent a
large part of his boyhood working on the farm. He
attended the first school in the town, established
May S, 1765. He was a soldier in the revolution
and marched on the Lexington alarm under Deacon
Moses Hale, who served without a commission.
This company was notified that its services were
not needed before it reached Boston. Day was in
the battle of Bunker Hill in Captain Abel Wilder's
company of minute men, in Colonel Doolittle's
regiment, and returned with the company soon after
the battle. His brother Nathan died in camp at
Somerville.

In 177S he was one of a committee to estimate
■cost of services of the soldiers, and March 20. 1780,
was chosen on a committee to hire men for the
Continental army. He was a shoemaker by trade
and it is said made a pair of shoes for Moses Pot-
ter, one of his recruits, with heels high enough to



make Moses meet the army regulations as to the
stature of a soldier.

John Day was a member of the school com-
mittee in 1778 and selectman in 1781. Besides the
trade of shoemaker, John Day was a carpenter.
He owned a saw mill and also a grist mill at what
is now called New Boston. He was the chief miller
of the vicinity for many years. He owned the
greater part of what is now called Waterville vil-
lage. He retired from active business several years
before his death. In religion he was a Baptist.

He married, January 10, 1771, Elizabeth Joslyn,
daughter of Peter and Sally Joslyn, of Winchen-
don, and she died August 20, 1829. Children of
John and Elizabeth were: Elizabeth, born Feb-
ruary 20, 1771-72; John, March 14, 1773, died Au-
gust 17, 1821 ; Joseph, March 27, 1775, died March
29, 1853; Lucy, June 14, 1777; Hannah, December
29, 1779; Richard, March 6, 1782, died August 8,
1802; Peter Joslyn, June 6, 1784; Daniel, see for-
ward; Susanna, June 8, 1789; Sally, October 16,
1791 ; Silence, July 19, 1794, died August 26, 1795;
Mason Spooner, December 7, 1798.

(III) Daniel Day, eighth child of John Day
(2), was born in Winchendon, February 18, 1787,
died May 23, 1875. He was educated there in the
district schools, and when a young man helped his
father on the farm and in the grist mill. He was
a farmer all his life. Of a kindly disposition, he
was everybody's friend. He was called "Uncle
Daniel." During the last years of his life he re-
sided on the place at New Boston, at that time
owned by his son, Benjamin R. Day. He was a
Baptist in religion and a Democrat in politics. He
was in the militia in his youth. He married Cath-
erine Rice, daughter of Lieutenant Benjamin and
Ruth (Budge) Rice. She was born May 30, 1786,
died January 4, 1869. Children of Daniel and
Catherine were: Catherine Rice, born July 9, 1809;
Harriet Pierce, October 11, 1812 : Ruth, December
29, 1814: Benjamin Rice, see forward; Elam Clark,
December 25, 1819; Daniel Reed, April 22, 1822;
John Martin, see forward; Harriet Frances, Feb-
ruary 8, 1830.

(IV) Benjamin Rice Day, fourth child of Daniel
Day (3), was born October 19, 1816. He attended
the district school and worked till twelve years of
age on his father's farm. He then went to live
with Amasa Whitney and served an apprenticeship
in his woolen mill where he remained until he came
of age. He was afterward employed by Colonel
William Murdock in his spool and bobbin factory
for five years, later was in the employ of George
Brown, later in business with Joel M. Haywood,
later with E. W. Weslyn in the palm leaf hat busi-
ness and groceries, and was the first in the town
to buy one hundred barrels of flour at one time,
ihen quite an event.

He started later in business for himself as the
proprietor of a general store at Winchendon in the
town hall block, where he conducted a custom tailor-
ing business, carrying it on for eight years, then
ready-made clothing. In 1854. he entered into part-
nership with Edwin Parks at Bullardsville in the
manufacture of wooden ware, but in 1857 their
plant was entirely destroyed by fire. He bought
the real estate of his partner, but sold it before
he had carried out his plans to rebuild. In Novem-
ber. 1863. he became bookkeeper for Baxter D.
Whitney (see sketch), manufacturer of wooden
ware and wood working machinery, a position that
Mr. Day held for twenty-five years. On account
of his health he left this position and . later en-
gaged in the livery business, and for the past twen-
ty years has conducted a successful business in



WORCESTER COUNTY



189



Winchendon. Mr. Day is a member of the Church
of the Unity (Unitarian), and was for twenty years
collector of the parish and the treasurer. In poli-
tics he is a Republican, was tax collector and town
treasurer of Winchendon for eleven years, and con-
stable in 1849-50.

He married, March 14, 1850, Frances A. Morse,
born August 23, 1824, daughter of Isaac and Frances
(Stevens) Morse, of Winchendon. Their only child
is Harriet Frances, born October 23, 1852, who lives
at home with her father.

(IV) John Martin Day, seventh child of Daniel
Day (3), was born in Winchendon, May 15, 1826.
He was educated there in the common schools and
started in life on the farm with his father, with
whom he remained until after he was of age. He
then went to work for his brother, Benjamin Rice
Day, mentioned above, in the pail factory at Bul-
lardsville. In 1857, when the mill was burned, he
took a trip to Pontiac, Michigan, to look up
and buy land, and returned east and went back
to the farm. Later he was employed by Phinehas
Parks on his farm at Bullardsville and in the mill
making spools and bobbins. During most of his
life, however, he has been a prosperous farmer, re-
siding on the Day homestead at Winchendon. He
is a member of the Baptist church. In his youth
he served in the militia.

He married at Winchendon, January 1, 1863,
Eliza Frances Carter, born July 12, 1835, died April
1, 1895, and daughter and second child of Charles
Carter, who was born October 26, 1806, and died
September 24, i860. He was a farmer, and resided
in Jaffrey. New Hampshire. Her mother was Eliza
Ann (Robbins) Carter, of East Jaffrey, New Hamp-
shire: she died January 5, 1849. Children of John
Martin and Eliza Frances Day are : Charles Mar-
tin, born July 19, 1864, see forward; Benjamin R.
2d, born May 21, 1872.

(V) Charles Martin Day, elder son of John
Martin Day (4), was born at Winchendon, Massa-
chusetts, July 19, 1864. He attended the public
schools and high school, leaving the latter after two
years to work for the firm of William Brown &
Sons, manufacturers of pails, in the winter months
and on his father's farm in . the summer season.
Later he accepted a position with Oswald Hancock,
maker of metal press work, where he worked for
about a year then becoming a traveling salesman
for the same firm, remaining about sixteen months
when he returned to the employ of William Brown
& Sons, for whom he worked until 1887. In 1888
he made an extended trip through the west and
south on a sight seeing tour. In the winter of that
year he entered into a partnership with T. E.
Turner, of Baldwinville, under the firm name of
Turner & Day. in the manufacture of a patented
clothes pin. After a year of successful business
they accepted a favorable offer and sold out the
business. From 1890 to 1895 he was in the employ
of C. F. Davis, clothier, at Winchendon. Mr.
Davis removed to Antrim, New Hampshire, in
1895. and died June, 1896, and Mr. Day went to
Antrim and settled his estate. In 1897 Mr. Day
was engaged as a traveling salesman for Green
Brothers, of Providence, Rhode Island, a jewelry
concern, and continued till 1898, when he entered
the employ of his brother, Benjamin R. Day 2d,
druggist, of Winchendon. and remained two years.

In 1904 he established his present business as
a dealer in men's clothing, etc., in a store in the
Andrews block, Winchendon, and has built up a
lucrative trade.

Mr. Day is a Democrat and has been honored
with several nominations to important positions.



The district is strongly Republican, but in 1897,
when he was a candidate for state senator, he ran
ahead of his ticket, four hundred votes. In 1900
was a candidate for governor's council and ran
twenty-eight hundred ahead of his ticket. He has
been delegate to numerous important conventions
of his party. He was elected overseer of the poor
in 1891, served till 1894, elected selectman in 1905
to serve till 1908, and at present is chairman of the
board.

He attends the Baptist church. He is a mem-
ber of the Watatic Tribe of Red Men, the United
Workmen of which he is past master, of Winchen-
don Grange, Patrons of Husbandry; the Avon Club,
and was first secretary and charter member and one
of the organizers of the Winchendon Cycle Club.
He has always taken an active part in all affairs of
the village and town, either socially or politically.
He was formerly auditor of the Winchendon Co-
operative Bank.

He married, July 11, 1894, Annie R. McConnell,
born March 1, i88r. Her father is an overseer in
the N. D. White cotton mill at Winchendon
Springs.

(V) Benjamin Rice Day 2d, son of John Martin
Day (4), was born at Winchendon, May 21, 1872.
He attended the public schools and also the Mur-
dock high .school for two years. At the age of
fifteen he entered the employ of the Winchester
Box Company at Baldwinville, where he remained
for three years. He then entered the employ of C. S.
Dickinson, druggist, to learn the business. After
a year and a half he went to Boston in the employ
of the Metcalf Company drug store and there re-
mained till 1894, when he returned to Winchendon
and for a short time was manager of Fred R. Dur-
gin's store. He and his former employer, Mr.
Dickinson, then bought the Durgin Pharmacy and
for three years conducted it under the firm name of
B. R. Day & Company, when Mr. Day bought out
his partner and has since carried on the business
under his own name. His store is at 82 Central
street. Mr. Day is a member of the Church of the
Unity. In politics he is a Republican and has been
delegate to party conventions. He is a member
of the Watatic Tribe of Red Men; Naukeag Coun-
cil, Royal Arcanum ; the Avon Club of Winchen-
don : the State Pharmaceutical Association, and the
northwestern division of the National Association
of Retail Druggists. He is unmarried.

NATHAN HENRY SEARS. Richard Sears
(1) was the emigrant ancestor of Nathan Henry
Sears, of Millbury, Massachusetts. He was a tax-
payer in the Plymouth colony as early as 1632. He
removed to Marblehead where he was a land owner
in 1637, but returned to the Plymouth colony about
1638 and settled at Yarmouth. He took the free-
man's oath June 7, 16^3. Commissioners was ap-
pointed to meet at his house on Indian affairs Oc-
tober 26, 1647. He was one of the settlers and
founders of Yarmouth. He was buried August 26,
1676 ; his widow Dorothy was buried March ig,
1678-9. Their children were: Paul, born probably
at Marblehead. 1637-8, died at Yarmouth, February
20. 1707-8; Silas, died at Yarmouth, January 13,
1697-8 ; Deborah, born at Yarmouth, September,
1639, died at Yarmouth, August 17, 1732; married
Zachary Paddock, son of Robert and Mary Pad-
dock.

(II) Captain Paul Sears, son of Richard Sears
(1), was born probably at Marblehead. Massachu-



Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 55 of 133)