Ellery Bicknell Crane.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) online

. (page 59 of 133)
Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 59 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


son, of Copenhagen. Denmark, resided in Carver,
Minnesota, and 1905 in St. Paul. Was United
States marshal for Minnesota. He had five children.
2. Theodore Addison, born August 21, 1846, died
September 13, 1846. 3. Herbert Eugene, born May
21, 1849, died May 30, 1863. 4. Parkman Tyler, born
December 20, 1851. married, November 22, 1881,
Cora Jennctte Monroe, born April 18, 1858, died
May 17, 1882; married (second), December 13, 1887.
Grace L. Mcintosh, of Mattapan, Massachusetts; she
died January 9, 1890; married (third), July 5, 1894,
Cora B. Knight, daughter of Charles S. and Louisa
A. Knight. Children: Ruth Parkman, and Park-
man Knight Denny.

(X) Parkman Tyler Denny, son of Christopher
C. Denny (9), was born in Leicester, Massachu-
setts, December 20, 1851. He spent his boyhood in
his native town and attended the district schools.
He graduated from Leicester Academy and entered
the Worcester Polytechnic Institute, where he was
graduated in 1872. His first occupation was teach-
ing. He accepted a position as instructor in mathe-
matics and the sciences at the South Jersey Insti-
tute, Bridgeton, New Jersey. The following year
he returned to New England and studied architect-
ure for two years in the office of Ware &
Van Brunt, of Boston. For several years
he followed the profession of an architect in
Worcester. Later he entered the business of
Bisco & Denny, card clothing manufacturers,
at his old home in Leicester. In 1885 he was ap-
pointed teller of the Leicester National Bank, and
April i, 1890, was elected cashier, a position that he
filled with conspicuous ability until the bank was
closed and its affairs wound up, partly because of



the law separating the places of business of savings
banks and of national banks, partly because of the
superior facilities at hand in the city of Worcester
adjoining. The bank is at present in the course of
liquidation in charge of Mr. Denny. The two banks,
the savings and the national, had always been closely
associated in Leicester. Mr. Denny was elected clerk
of the Leicester Savings Bank at the same time that
he went into the Leicester National Bank, as after-
wards he was elected treasurer of the Leicester Sav-
ings Bank, a position that he now fills to the utmost
satisfaction of all connected with it. The Leicester
Savings Bank is an institution of great value
to the community and one in which the peo-
ple of Leicester justly take great pride.
It has been well managed and has done its
part well, not only in encouraging habits of frugal-
ity and thrift among the wage earners, but in help-
ing develop the resources of the community, and as-
sisting citizens to acquire and pay for homes.

Mr. Denny was for several years town auditor.
He is interested in local history and genealogy and
gave his father valuable assistance in - the prepara-
tion of the Denny Genealogy, which is unique in
many respects. It contains some of the most valu-
able personal letters ever printed in a work of the
kind, and Parkman T. Denny assisted in the copy-
ing and preparation of this correspondence between
the family of the emigrants in England and Amer-
ica. He is a Republican in politics. He is a member
of Morning Star Lodge of Free Masons. Worces-
ter Royal Arch Chapter, Hiram Council and of
Worcester County Commandery, Knights Templar.

PARK FAMILY. Edward Park (1). of London,
is believed to be the progenitor, through his various
sons who settled in America, of most of the families
of the name in this country. He was a cousin of
Governor Winthrop, to whom he wrote from Lon-
don, March 8, 1647. asking his aid and advice for
his uncle, Henry Bright and son, Henry Parks,,
about land ordered to himself by the court. It is not
known that he lived in New England. It is be-
lieved that the following immigrants were his sons :
Thomas, who settled at Stonington, Connecticut,
and has many descendants : Deacon William, of Rox-
bury, who was very prominent ; Samuel, called
brother by Deacon William ; Thomas, called brother
by Deacon William ; Richard, see forward.

(II) Richard Park, son of Edward Park (1).
was the immigrant ancestor of Hervey Park, of
Millbury, Massachusetts. He was an early settler
in Cambridge, wdiere he was a proprietor in 1636,
and he was a proprietor in Cambridge Farms in
1642. His house was situate near the Cow Com-
mon in Cambridge. In the division of lands in 1647
he had eleven acres in Cambridge Village, bounded
on the west by land of Edward Jackson. The high-
way to Dedham was cut through it in 1648. His old
house was not torn dowa until 1800; it stood a few
yards away from the spot now occupied by the
Eliot Church. Previous to 1652 he owned a large
tract of land in the northwest part of the village
bounded on the west by the Fuller farm, north by
the Charles river, east by the Dummer farm and
south and east by the Mayhew farm (Edward Jack-
son's), containing six hundred acres, which he proba-
bly bought of Pastor Shepherd or his heirs. Park's
will, dated August 12, 1665. was witnessed by Elder
Wiswall and Captain Hugh Mason : he bequeathed
to his only son Thomas his various lands and
houses. In 1663 he was released from training on
account of his age. He was on a committee to lay
out highways in 1657 and he signed a petition to
retain his connection with the Cambridge church.



WORCESTER COUNTY



201



His wife's name was Sarah and besides their son
Thomas they had a daughter who married Francis
Whittemore.

I IIU Thomas Park, son of Richard Park (2),
was born in England in 1628. He settled in 105,1
on the six hundred acre farm of his father and he
inherited all his father's large estate. September
26, 1678, he bought of his mother, who was then
living with her people at Duxbury, her life inter-
est in his father's estate. His house was located
near Bemis Mills on the Charles river. His estate
was divided among his heirs 1693-94, ar >d the land
alone amounted to seven hundred and twenty-two
acres. There was part of a corn mill on Smelt
brook. His wife died February 3, 1691; he died
August 11, 1690, aged sixty-two years. He married
Abigail Dix, of Watertown, and their children were :
Thomas, born November 2, 1654, died August 28,
1681 ; John, September 6, 1656; Abigail, March 3,
1058, married John Fiske, 1679; Edward, April 8,
166] : Richard, December 21, 1663; Sarah, March 21,
16O6, married John Knapp ; Rebecca, April 13, 1008,
married John Sanger, 1686; Jonathan, August 27,
1670, see forward; Elizabeth, August 28, 1679, mar-
ried John Holland.

(IV) Jonathan Park, son of Thomas Park (3),
was born August 27, 1670, at Newton, Massachu-
setts. He settled on the homestead in Newton. He
died January .23, 1719, and his will was proved Feb-
ruary, 1719. He married (first) Ann Spring, of

Watertown, 1690; (second) Elizabeth , who died

April 10, 1713, and (third), June, 1715, Hannah
Kimball, of Watertown. His children were: Jon-
athan, born March 30, 1695, see forward; Jonas,
January I, i697;Lydia, Mindwell, Margery, Eiinice,
Hannah, died young. By his third wife : Hannah,
February 25, 1718.

\ ) Jonathan Park, son of Jonathan Park (4),
was born in Newton, Massachusetts, March 30, 1695.
He was executor of his father's estate. He removed
to Sutton, Massachusetts, in 1730, when the town
was in its infancy, and bought land there of Will-
iam Dow in 1730. There is a mortgage on record
dated February 8, 1734-35, to John Chandler, of
Worcester, and Gershom Keyes, of Boston, dis-
charged 1751. He deeded forty acres of land Feb-
ruary 28, 1750, to his son Phineas. His will was
made August 14, 1761, at Sutton, and mentions his
children as given below : Jonathan, born August I,

1722, married Lucy and had Caleb, Reuben,

Samuel, Hannah Trask, Lucy Putnam, Nelly John-
son. Betty Ruggles (married names of daughters) ;
Sarah, born May 8, 1724, married Putnam; Abi-
gail, born at Newton, October 30, 1725, married

Sibley; Lucy, born at Newton, March 27, 1727, died
1730; Phineas, born in Newton, June 8, 1729, see
forward ; Lucy, born at Sutton, after 1730, mentioned

in will ; married Sibley ; Dorcas, married at

Sutton. Woodbury.

(VI) Phineas Park, son of Jonathan Park (5),
was born in Newton, Massachusetts, June 8, 1729.
He came to Sutton with the family when he was a
child in arms. He deeded land to Reuben Park, his
cousin, October 21, 1771, and bought land of him
near the line between Sutton and Worcester, March
31, 1772. He left no will and there is little on record
about him. His wife was Ruth, born 1725, who
died at Millbury, December 13, 1821, aged ninety-
five years, eight months. Their children were :
Moses, see forward ; Aaron, owned land in common
with Moses and Joshua, divided 1781 ; Joshua.

(VII) Moses Park, son of Phineas Park (6),
was born in Sutton, Massachusetts, 1750, died Jan-
uary 13, 1841, at Millbury, aged ninety-two years.
Moses, Aaron and Joshua Park bought of John



Todd and John Todd, Jr., April, 1779, land in Sut-
ton and held it in common until March 10, 1781,
when a deed of partition was executed by the broth-
ers. Moses lived and died in Sutton. He made his
will there March 1, 1832, and it was tiled in 1842,

the year of his death. He married Lydia and

their children were: John, had the real estate of his
father and paid the legacies to his brothers and
sisters; he died 1854; Moses, Jr; Aaron, born 1781,
died 1840; Hervey (spelled with the "a" in will),

see forward; Lucy, married Smith; Lydia,

married Barber, left three children.

(VIII) Hervey Park, son of Moses Park (7),
was born in Sutton, Massachusetts, about 1790. lie
lived at Millbury and Sutton. He was an expert
machinist and was employed many years in the old
armory at Millbury, making gunstocks fur the United
Si, iles government. He married Joanna Robbins.
Their child was: Hervey, born at Millbury, Octo-
bi 1' i-'. [8 ;i . see 1' irward.

(IX) Hervey Park, Jr.. son of Hervey Park (8),
was burn in Millbury, Massachusetts, October 12.
1831. He was educated in the common schools there
and became a farmer. He was progressive and re-
sourceful. He kept pace with new methods and ma-
chinery for the farm and acquired a comfortable
competence. He was active in political affairs, a Re-
publican of some prominence, and served the town of
Millbury as assessor for a number of years, render-
ing efficient and valuable service. He was a member
of the Millbury Lodge of Free Masons. He attended
the Baptist church. He died at the homestead, No-
vember 26, 1900. Mr. Park married Amanda Guild,
daughter of Samuel Guild, of Augusta. Maine. She
died before her father. Their children were: Mary
Lydia, whose home is in Worcester ; Ada Eliza, re-
sides on the homestead ; Edwin Hervey, resides on
farm, married Nellie Lovell and had three children ;
Alice Amanda, married Walter Howe and has three
children; Lucy, died young; Charles William, re-
sides in East Aurora, New York, administrator of
father's estate : married Mary Bunker and they
have four children. •

CHARLES F. SOULE. The great-great-grand-
father of Charles F. Soule, of Millbury, Massachu-
setts, came from Canada and settled in Wales, Mas-
sachusetts, before the revolution. He had a brother
who came at the same time and settled in Buffalo,
New York.

(II) Anson Soule was born at Wales, Massa-
chusetts. He settled in his native town and was a
farmer. He was a man of considerable prominence
in his day.

(III) William Soule, son of Anson Soule (2),
was born at Wales, Massachusetts. He was raised
on the old homestead, educated in the public schools
of Wales and became a farmer. He followed the
life of a farmer.

(IV) Anson Soule, son of William Soule (3),
was born at Wales, Massachusetts, on the old home-
stead in 1831, and is now living in Wilbraham.
Massachusetts. He was educated there in the com-
mon schools and learned the trade of shoemaker.
After making shoes for several years he returned
to the farm and farming became his life occupation.
He has been an active Republican. He is possessed
of the confidence and friendship of the entire com-
munity in wdiich he has lived so many years. He
married Susan Heath, who was the mother of five
children : Marana, Laura, Charles F., Pearline and
Henry. He married (second) Juliette Bliss.

(V) Charles F. Soule, son of Anson Soule (4),
was born in Brimfield, Massachusetts. June 4. 1856.
When a young boy he moved with his parents to



202



WORCESTER COUNTY



Wales, Massachusetts. After finishing his school-
ing there he went into the building moving business.
After three years he took up the shoemaker's trade
with his father, but did not follow it as a business
except for a short time. He took up the trade of
corset cutting in a West Brookfield factory. In 1892
he bought a farm of one hundred and ninety acres
near Millbury, Massachusetts, and started a dairy
farm. He has developed one of the best and most
profitable farms of the kind in the vicinity. As a
business venture it has been very successful. His
experience illustrates the strength of an inherited
love for agriculture, coupled with a knowledge of
the world and a general business experience. It is
a common thing in Massachusetts for a man to fol-
low a trade and perhaps acquire a competence be-
fore returning to farming for a vocation. But the
man with the trade and business experience always
tends to raise the standard of life on the farm and
make farming more of a business than it ever has
been. Mr. Soule is regarded throughout the county
as a model farmer. He knows the principles of bus-
iness and seems to conduct his dairy as if he liked
it and were as proud of it as he should be. He
certainly has the esteem of all who know him. He
has a wide acquaintance. He is a member of the
local lodges of Odd Fellows and Masons and is act-
ive in the work of both of them. He was an en-
gineer of the Millbury fire department. He is a
Republican in politics.

He married, in 1877, Alary F. Dane, daughter of
Warren Dane, a farmer of West Brookfield, Massa-
chusetts. They had two children, both of whom
died in infancy. His wife died in 1889.

JULIUS O. MURDOCK. (I) Robert Murdock,
of Roxbury, was the progenitor in this country of
Julius O. Murdock, of Leicester. He was the only
one of the name in the New England colonies pre-
vious to 1700. John Murdock, Jr., who married Ruth
Bartlett in Duxbury in 1725 ; Thomas Murdock, of
Plymouth, merchant, who made his will in 1751 ;
John Murdock, of ScTtuate, who made his will in
1756 and had sons, James and Bartlett, may have
been connected with Robert Murdock, but the re-
lationship with this Plymouth branch has not been
established.

Robert Murdock settled in Roxbury, where he
married Hannah Stedman, April 28, 1692. The fam-
ily removed to the adjacent town of Newton in 1703..
He bought a house and one hundred and twenty
acres of land there for ninety pounds from Jonathan
Hyde and John Woodward. His place was bounded
on the east by the school land and the Dedham
road ; south by land of Jacob Chamberlain and west
by land of John Hyde. This place was subse-
quently known as the Captain Jeremiah Wiswall
farm. His wife Hannah died in 1727 at the age of
sixty. He died April, 1754, at the age of
eighty-nine years, hence he was born in the
old country about 1664. The children of
Roberl and Hannah (Stedman) Murdock were:
Hannah, born in Roxbury, 1693; Robert, born
in Roxbury, February 1, 1694; John, born
in Roxbury, March 25, 1696; Samuel, born in
Roxbury, March 24, t6cj8; Benjamin, born in Rox-
bury, May 4, 1700; Hannah, born in Newton, May
22, 1705.

(II) Lieutenant Robert Murdock, son of Robert
Murdock (1), was born in Roxbury, Massachusetts,
February 1, 1694. He was a prominent man in New-
ton, Massachusetts, and bought the homestead of
Ins father in 1754, just before his death for £1,500.
He had worked the farm, which contained one hun-
dred and twenty acres, for many years before, how-



ever. He was lieutenant of the militia, selectman
of Newton for nine years and representative in
the general court of Massachusetts for two years.
He married, November 5, 1719, Abigail Hyde,
daughter of Samuel Hyde. He died in 1762 at the
age of sixty-eight years. His will was proved in
1762. The children of Lieutenant Robert and Abi-
gail (Hyde) Murdock were: Joshua, born Decem-
ber 31, 1721 ; Hannah, born May 22, 1725; Samuel,
born May 28, 1726, died 1742 ; Elizabeth, born May
27, 1731, married Deacon Jeremiah Wiswall, 1750.

(III) Joshua Murdock, son of Lieutenant Rob-
ert Murdock (2), was born in Newton, Massachu-
setts, December 31, 1721. He married Esther Child,
of Brookline, March, 1745. He bought sixty acres of
land in Newton for three hundred and fifty pounds
in 1754, and this olace was bounded by the farms
of Ephraim Fenno, James Allen, Lieutenant Will-
iam Hyde and Nathan Hyde. He built his house
sixty rods west of the centre of the meeting house.
He was a sergeant in the revolutionary war, and
selectman two years. His wife died 1755, aged thirty.
He married (second) Esther Greenwood, 1756. He
died July 3, 1797, aged seventy-six. The children of
Joshua Murdock were: Abigail, born September
18, 1746, married Samuel Fish 1774; William, born
January 14, 1748, married Achsah Woodward, settled
in Westminster; Ann, born April 25, 1749, married
Elisha Woodward, 1773 ; Elizabeth, born September
14, 1750, died young; Samuel, born March 4, 1752,
married Beulah Fuller; Joshua, born October 15,
T 753. married Mindwell Parker, 1783, resided at
Hubbardston; Elisha, born February 19, 1757; Jona-
than, born May 17, 1759, married Joanna Wait, 1785;
Esther, born April 28, 1761, married Samuel Ward;
Robert, born November 30, 1763, married Mary
Hyde, daughter of Samuel Hyde; Phebe, born De-
cember 3, 1765, married Nathan Bond ; Nathaniel,
born March 16, 1768, married Lydia Marean and
lived in Brookline; Asa, born December 31, 1772;
Elizabeth, born September 14, 1770; Artemas, born
February 2, 1771.

(IV) William Murdock, son of Joshua Murdock
(3), was born January 14, 1748. He settled at West-
minster, Massachusetts, September 18, 1773, and
bought of Amos Conant lot No. 46, of the second
division, where Deacon John P. Roper lately resided
in Westminster, and soon afterward removed to
that town. In 1775 he married Achsah Woodward,
daughter of Deacon John and Hannah (Greenwood)
Woodward, of Newton, sister of the wife of Ed-
ward Bacon, who was already located on an adjoin-
ing farm. He died suddenly May 27, 1827, aged
sixty-seven. His wife Achsah died July 7, 1806,
aged fifty-five. Their children were : Artemas, born
at Westminster, September 10, 1776, died 1855; mar-
ried Keziah Clark, resided at West Boylston ; had
nine children ; John, born October 3, 1778, married
twice, resided at Westminster; Joshua, born Octo-
ber 29, 1780, married Clarissa Hartshorn; Hannah,
born February 4, 1783, married Stephen Dole; Lydia,
born August 30, 1785, married Luther Clifford, and
lived at Hubbardston; Lucy, born October 25, 1787,
married Elijah F. Woodward, resided at Newton;
had seven children; Anna, born October 19, 1790;
Samuel, born August 21, 1792, Catharine, born Feb-
ruary 20, 1796.

(V) Joshua Murdock, son of William Mur-
dock (4). was born October 29, 1780, in West-
minster, Massachusetts. He served a regular ap-
prenticeship as cabinet maker to Artemas Wood-
ward of Medfield, Massachusetts. He married. June
.}. 1S06. Clarissa Hartshorn, of Medfield, Massa-
chusetts, and soon afterward removed to West
Boylston, Massachusetts, where he and his brother,



WORCESTER COUNTY



203



Artemas Murdock, began the business of cabinet-
making. In 1810 he removed to Leicester and pur-
chased the place still owned by his descendants.
His cabinet shop was on the farm east of the house.
Here he carried on the business for a number of
years, employing several hands. He was a skillful
mechanic himself and manufactured some fine
furniture. Many of the specimens of his handiwork
are to be found in the neighborhood and they are
among the heirlooms most prized by the owners.

In 1833 and 1834 he was elected to represent
the town in the general court. He was for many
years treasurer of the first parish, first elected when
the affairs of the parish were managed by the town
through the selectmen. He was also the trustee
of the invested funds of the church and parish to
the time of his death, and was made deacon of the
church January 7, 181 7, and retained that office all
his life. He was the first superintendent of the
Sunday school and filled that position for twenty-
five years. In April, 1812, he and his wife united
with the First Congregational Church and he was
the first person to make public profession of faith
after the settlement of Rev. Dr. Nelson the month
before.

Rev. A. H. Coolidge writes of him : "He pos-
sessed a singularly even and benign spirit, sweetened
by genuine piety. He was always modest and re-
tiring, yet he cheerfully accepted the cares and re-
sponsibilities of his office in the church, and was
always heard with interest and pleasure in the sev-
eral meetings of the church. The writer remem-
bers him with the deepest respect and tenderness
as one of the truest, most helpful and sympathetic
friends in the first years of his ministry."

He died suddenly in his shop. December 30,
1859. His w^ife died October 25, 1847, aged sixty-
two years, ten months. Their children were :
Francis Hartshorn, born August 17, 1812 ; married
(first) Angeline Maul, who died June 3, 1846;
Joshua, born October 3, 1815, married (second)
Julia T. Hurd, January 10, 1849; Joseph, born June
15, 1819; Caroline Clark, born July 12, 1822, died
September 19, 1825 ; John Newton, born January 7,
1827.

(VI) Joseph Murdock, son of Joshua Murdock
(5), was born in Leicester, Massachusetts, June 15,
1819. He attended the common schools of his na-
tive town and Leicester Academy, and remained in
Leicester until he was eighteen years of age. He
then went to Macon, Georgia, where he was clerk
in a store, and afterward became partner in the
firm of Bond & Murdock, doing business at Macon
until 1847. Returning in 1848 to his native town
he formed a partnership with his brother, Joshua
Murdock, Jr.. under the title of J. & J. Murdock in
the manufacture of card clothing used in cotton
mills. The business grew and prospered. The
original firm continued in business until the forma-
tion of the American Card Clothing Company in
1890. since when the business has been conducted
by the Murdocks under the name of the new com-
pany. All the card clothing companies of the vicin-
ity were consolidated at that time. Joseph Mur-
dock as president of the company was the most
important factor in the development of the busi-
ness. His judgment as a business man was sound
and his influence large. He was president of the
American Card Clothing Company and filled the
position satisfactorily.

He was a director of the Mechanics National
Bank of Worcester, and was a trustee of Leicester
Academy for a long period. In politics he was a
Republican and for a number of years served the
town on the board of selectmen, part of the time



as chairman. He was a member and liberal sup-
porter of the Congregational church in Leicester.
Mr. Murdock was distinctively a self-made man.
He won his own fortune in a business that he
himself developed and won a position among the
best in his town and county. He was universally
honored and respected in business circles. He died
April 19, 1898, and was buried in Pine Grove ceme-
tery. Leicester. Mr. .Murdoch married, October 18.
[842, Julia Carpenter, of Brookfield. Their only
child was Julius O. Murdock.

(VII) Julius O. Murdock, son of Joseph Mur-
dock (6), was born in Macon, Georgia, January 15,
1847. When a young child he came to Leicester
with his parents and has since made it his home.
He attended the public schools of that town and
Leicester Academy; entered Williston Academy at
Easthampton. Massachusetts, but left before grad-
uating on account of trouble with his eyes. He went
into the card clothing factory of his father, J. & J.
Murdock. and has been until recently engaged in
that business. The firm of J. & J. Murdock was
composed of Joshua Murdock, Jr., and his brother
Joseph, father of Julius O. Murdock. It was
founded by Joshua Murdock. Jr.. in 1840 in partner-
ship with Samuel Southgate, Jr., but since 1844
was managed by the Murdock family. Joseph be-
came a partner in 1848- and John N. Murdock in
1858. In March, 1883, Joshua Murdock died and
in the following June Julius O. Murdock .was ad-



Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 59 of 133)