Ellery Bicknell Crane.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) online

. (page 61 of 133)
Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 61 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Sophia, married James Putnam, of Sutton; Dan-
ford, resided in Oxford, has wheelwright shop there;
George, died young; Elvira, died young.

(X) Carew Johnson, son of Pliny Johnson (9),
was born in Sutton, Massachusetts, about 1840. He
had a guardian appointed in 1855, after his father's
death. He was a farmer and shoemaker by trade.
He kept a general store at Palmer and other places.
He. resided in Sutton, Palmer, East Douglas, Boston,
Framingham and elsewhere, and died in Framing-
ham, April 2, 1899. He was a veteran of the civil
war. He married Elexa Walker. Their children
were : Fred, died in childhood. Hattie, died in
childhood. Benton D., see forward. George Pliny,
born December 2, 1866, resides at Everett, dealer in
groceries ; has children : Mary E., Mildred Ann,
Benton Joseph, Bertha S., married Tyler McAdam,
of Boston; their children — Eleza, deceased; Bertha
May, Nellie, Mora, Anna McAdam.

(.XI) Benton David Johnson, son of Carew
Johnson (10), was born in Sutton, Massachusetts,
September 27, 1859. He was educated in the public
schools of Worcester, East Douglas and Palmer.
He began his career at Palmer as clerk in his
father's store and worked there for two years. He
went west in February, 187S, and worked on various
ranches for two ytars, returning to Massachusetts,
and locating first at Shirley, where he secured a
place in the village store. He removed to Gardner,
where he started in business, buying the shoe store
of A. A. Upton in 1886. He was in this business
for rive years, residing altogether in Gardner for
ten years. He then had a store at Millville in the
town of Blackstone, but had to give up business on
account of ill health. He bought a farm in Fram-
ingham of Sanford Cutting and conducted it for
about five years. He sold his farm there and June,
1900, removed to Grafton, where for several years
he represented the Chapin Farm Agency, a large
real estate concern of Boston. At present he is in
the employ of the Worcester Consolidated Street
Railway Company. In politics Mr. Johnson is a
Republican. He is a member of Hope Lodge, Free
Masons, and of William Ellison Lodge, No. 185,
Odd Fellows, both of Gardner. He held some of
the offices in the latter lodge.

He married. May 17, 1883, Jennie Frances Burn-
ham, daughter of George and Mary (Spencer)
Burnham. Then have no children. Her father was
a lumber dealer and had a trucking business at
Charlestown, New Hampshire..



STOCKWELL FAMILY. William Stockwell
(1), the immigrant ancestor of the Stockwell family
of Sutton and Worcester county to which the late
Seth Stockwell, of Grafton, belonged, was born in
England about 1650. The family tradition has it
that he was enticed on board ship when a young
lad and followed the sea after serving his appren-
ticeship in the old-fashioned way. He finally made
his home in Ipswich, but his seafaring life probably
explains the absence of records there. It is said
that he was Scotch, and born in Scotland, but the
name is unquestionably English, and there was an-
other family of Stockwells in Massachusetts before
he came. William Stockwell had a seat in the
meeting house at Ipswich in 1700. He seems to have
been in Sutton for several years from 1720 to 1731
or later, but where he died is not known. His son
William used the "Junior" as late as 1731, when he
sold land to William Severy in Sutton. He sold
ten parcels of land according to the records be-
tween 1731 and 1769. The only two deeds in Wor-
cester county given by the immigrant appear to be
those dated October 19, 1720-1 and acknowledged
March 2, 1720-21, but the wife's name was Mary
Stockwell, which was the name of the son William's
wife. This William Stockwell sold land seven
rods wide and one hundred and six rods long to
John Lilly, adjoining land of John Sibley, Jonathan
King, Ebenezer Stearns and Samuel Bisco. He
sold land also in March, 1722-23, to John Sibley, of
Sutton, one and a quarter acres. The first deed of
William Stockwell, Jr., according to the Worcester
records, was dated April 5, 1727, acknowledged
1731, conveying land on Crooked pond between land
of Benjamin Marsh and land of William Stockwell
to William Severy. He deeded more land in 1729.

William married, at Ipswich, April 14, 1685,
Sarah Lambert. His children included five sons,
who all settled in Sutton and he probably with
them. They were : William, born about 1686, mar-
ried Mary , settled in Sutton; John, see for-
ward; Jonathan, married, December 26, 1726, had
Stephen et al. Ebenezer, whose son Abraham .
in the revolution ; David.

(II) Captain John Stockwell, son of William
Stockwell (1), was born in Ipswich about 1687, died
at Sutton, Massachusetts, March 29, 1778, aged
ninety-one years. He married, in 1717, Mary Lom-
bard, soon after coming to Sutton. He was a sol-
died in Captain Wainwright's company, from which
he was discharged with sixteen others, July 16,
1707. He became captain after settling in Sutton.
He and his son John, Jr., bought land at Royalshire,
afterward called Royalston, Massachusetts, of Caleb
Dana and others, attorneys of the proprietors, in-
cluding lot No. 16, in the south part of the town,
two hundred acres, September 27, 1753. Captain
Stockwell was then seventy-six years old and it was
evidently intended for his son who was in his
forties, but John, Jr., died in 1765, never leaving
Sutton apparently. Part of the land was sold to
Captain John's second son, Daniel, September 27,
1763, and he settled there soon afterward. Chil-
dren of Captain John and Mary Stockwell were :
John, Jr., born about 1718, died 1765; Daniel,
forward; Ichabod, Mary, died unmarried; Sarah,
died unmarried; Nathaniel, born February 5, 1720;
Jane, married Ebenezer Stearns, January 15, 1741.

(III) Daniel Stockwell, son of Captain John
Stockwell (2), was born about 1719-20, in Sutton,
probably. He was a cordwainer (shoemaker) by
trade. He resided in Sutton until about 1763, .

he settled in Royalston, Massachusetts. lie bought
his land of his father and brother John, Jr., one



208



WORCESTER COUNTY



hundred and thirty acres. Very likely this was his
share of his aged father's estate, distributed by
deed rather than will, the share intended for the
eldest son John. The land was on Dead river,
bounded by land of Benjamin Woodbury and John
Howard and the deed was dated September 27,
1763. He sold eighty-five acres of land in Royals-
ton to his son, Moses Stockwell, Alay 13, 1/77 J
Moses being of Northtield, although he returned to
Royalston and he had lived there before. He was
oi Royalston, March 5, 1768, when Daniel conveyed
him land in Royalston. Moses had these children
born in Royalston before he went to Northtield :
Abner, born December 13, 1768; Hannah, December
10, 1770; Daniel, December I, 1772; Sarah, No-
vember 8, 1774; Moses, Jr., March 8, 1777. His wife
was Sarah Pierce, married at Royalston, October
15, 1768. Daniel Stockwell bought of William
Town, of Royalston, ninety acres near Deacon
Woodbury's land, June 2, 1773. He married Miriam

and their children were : Moses, mentioned

above, of Royalston and Northfield; Daniel, born
about 1745. see forward; Abraham; Abigail, married
at Royalston, August 15, 1768, Benajah Woodbury.

(IV) Daniel Stockwell, son of Daniel Stockwell
(3), was born about 1745, at Sutton probably,

though the death record of his son Moses says he
was a native of Royalston, Massachusetts. He died
February 13, 1817, at Royalston. He settled in
Westborough, Massachusetts. He bought his first
laud of Artemas Bruce, of Westborough, in that
town by deed dated February 8, 1771. His land was
two acres and a half, located on the road from
Grafton to Westborough. He and Phineas Has-
kell, blacksmith, bought land in the eastern part
of the town. He bought more land January 3,

1783, four acres at Westborough of Jonas Brigham.
He went back to Royalston to live after the chil-
dren were born. He bought land of Naphthali
May, March 17, 1794, and that is about the time he
settled there. He bought more land at Royalston,
January 16, 1802, of Daniel Woodbury. Daniel
Stockwell and his wife Rebecca executed a deed of
land at Royalston, September 16, 1807.

He married, October 6, 1767, at Westborough,
Rebecca Warren. They had twelve children, all born
at Westborough, viz : Molly, born May 15, 1768;
Daniel, Jr., born March 13, 1770, settled in Royals-
ton; Anson, born February 23, 1772, died October
13, 1776; Ruth, born April 2, 1774; Asel (Asahel),
born May 21, 1776, married, May, 1799, at Royalston,
Lucretia Eames; Anna born August 3, 1778; An-
son, born September 26, 1781, married, 1809, Anna
Lock, of Fitzwilliam, New Hampshire; Elijah, born
May 14, 1784 (twin); Elisha (twin), born May 14,

1784, tiled at Royalston, November 20, 1807, Moses,
born June 29, 1786, see forward; Silas, born De-
cember 21, 1788.

(V) Moses Stockwell, son of Daniel Stockwell
(4), was born at Westborough, Massachusetts, June
29, 1789. He lived at Grafton and Shrewsbury.
He was brought up in Royalston, Massachusetts,
where his parents removed when he was a young lad.
He was a farmer. He married Relief Holton and
they removed from Royalston to Grafton in 1836.
He died in Shrewsbury, April 16, 1862. His will
was dated May 18, 1859. His widow survived him.
Their children were: Ellen, born 1826, married. May
18, 1847, at Grafton, Cyrus E. Dalrymple ; Warren,
born about [830, was called eldest son and made
executor of his father's will ; John, born about 1834 ;
Seth, born February 23, 1836, see forward; Sum-
ner, born at Grafton, November 2, 1837. All re-
moved to Shrewsbury and were living there in
l8f,j.



(VI) Seth Stockwell,- son of Moses Stockwell
(5). was born in Royalston, February 23, 1836. He
was taken by his parents to Grafton, Massachusetts,
when he was four weeks old. His father settled on
a farm there and Seth was educated in the Grafton
public schools. He worked with his father during
his youth, and followed farming throughout his
active career, having one of the most productive
and highly cultivated places in the neighborhood. In
politics Mr. Stockwell was a Democrat, but he has
never cared for public office. He enjoyed the esteem
and confidence of his townsmen to an unusual ex-
tent.

He married, 1858, Sarah E. Kendall, daughter of
John Kendall, of Burlington, Massachusetts. Their
children, all born in Grafton, Massachusetts, are:
Ella L., married Waldo Braley and they have nine
children ; Emma L., born January 12, 1861 ; Carrie,
born February 3, 1863, deceased ; Lilla, born Sep-
tember, 1864, married Charles Sempson; George S.,
born 1866, married Lucy Tuckins and they have
one child; Justin H., born 1868, died young; Sum-
ner E., born 1870, died young; Henry A., married
Nettie E. Williams ; Olive F., born 1874, married
Howard Fay and they have two children.

ARM SB Y FAMILY. The English spelling of
this name is Ormsby. It is an ancient and dis-
tinguished family of Lincolnshire, England, dating
back to the time of the Conquest, and it has borne
a coat of arms for many centuries.

(I) Sir Richard de Ormesby. Knight, held lands
in Ormesby, Lincolnshire, and after the Conquest
King William gave him all the lands he had pos-
sessed before.

(II) Sir William de Ormesby was the son of Sir
Richard.

1 III ) Sir Oswald de Ormesby, Knight, founder
of the Priory of Ormesby in the reign of Henry II,
was the son of Sir William (2).

( IV ) Sir Oswald de Ormesby, who married
Anastasia ,\vas the son of Sir Oswald.

(V) Richard de Ormesby was the son of Sir
Oswald (4).

(VI) Ansketill de Ormesby, who married Agnes
Langton, was the son of Richard (5).

(VII) William de Ormesby, married Anne
Moores, was the son of Ansketill.

(YI1I) Sir John de Ormesby, Knight, married
Anne Lamworth, daughter of Sir Nicholas Lam-
worth, of Leake, Knight ; was son of William de
Ormesby.

(IX) Roger Ormesby, son of Sir John (8).

(X) Richard Ormesby, son of Roger (9).

1 XI ) Robert Ormsby, of "Portown, son of
Richard (10).

(Xll) William Ormsbv. son of Robert Ormsby
(11).

1 XIII) John Ormsby, son of William (12),
married Heron.

(XIV) William Ormsby, son of John (13).

(XV) Philip Ormsby, of Portney, Lincolnshire,
England, son of William (14), was born about 1530.
One son, Thomas Ormsby, removed to Ireland in
the reign of Queen Elizabeth and was living there
in 1569. One of the descendants of this Thomas
was John, who emigrated to Virginia in 1752, an-
cestor of a distinguished American family in Penn-
sylvania and the south.

(I) Richard Ormsby, the immigrant ancestor of
Amos Armsby, of Millbury. Massachusetts, was
probably a descendant of Philip Ormsby (15),
named above. He was born perhaps in Lincoln-
shire, England, in 1608. He was in New England
before 1649, when he was admitted a freeman. He




^W{k Ua.



WORCESTER COUNTY



209



was then a planter at Salisbury. He was in Saco,
Maine, in 1641 ; Salisbury, Massachusetts, 1645-46-47-
48-52-56-58-59-60 ; in Haverhill, 1649-53-62. He set-
tled finally at Rehoboth, where he died in 1664. He
was in Rehoboth in 1663, when he sold land to Rob-
ert Pike. He deposed in 1660 that he was fifty-two
years old. The inventory of his estate was dated
July 30, 1664, and it refers to his business dealings

at Salisbury. He married Sarah and their

children were : John, see forward ; Thomas, born
November 11, 1645, married Mary Fitch and settled
at Taunton, where they had children : Thomas,
Mary, Rebecca, and Judith. Jacob, born March 6,
1648, resided at Rehoboth ; proprietor 1668, died
1678, leaving a number of children. At Rehoboth
the spelling Ormsbee prevailed.

(II) John Armsby (Ormsbee), oldest son of
Richard Armsby (1), was born about 1641, prob-
ably at Saco. He settled in Rehoboth, where he
was a proprietor in 1668. He was one of Gallup's
company in 1690 in the Phipps Expedition against
Quebec. His will was dated in Bristol county, Oc-
tober 31, 1717, and proved April 8, 1718. He mar-
ried, at Rehoboth, January 15, 1664, Grace Martin,
daughter of Richard Martin. Their children, all
born and recorded at Rehoboth, were : Sarah, born

September 14, 1665, married Lane; John,

April 12, 1667; Elizabeth, October 3, 1668; Grace,

November 2, 1667, married Sabin; Mary,

October 22, 1671, married Isaac Sabin ; Joshua, De-
cember 9, 1672, see forward; Elizabeth, November
27, 1674; Mary, April 4, 1677; Jonathan, August 20,
1678; Martha, May 7, 1680; Jacob, March 16, 1682;
Joseph, July 8, 1684.

(HI) Joshua Armsby, son of John Armsby
(Ormsbee) (2), was born at Rehoboth, Massachu-
setts, December 9, 1672. He married Re-
becca and they settled in Medfield,

Massachusetts, after 1704. His name first ap-
pears on the Medfield records in 1704, but his chil-
dren are all recorded after that as if born in Re-
hoboth. Two of them are on the records of both
towns. The name was spelled Armsby in the Med-
field records. Joshua died before 1718; his widow
married Titus. Children of Joshua and Re-
becca Armsby were : Mehitable, recorded at both
Medfield and Rehoboth, born October 1, 1705;
Joshua (both towns), born June 1, 1708, see for-
ward; Mary, born October 11, 1712, at Rehoboth;
Ann, born at Rehoboth, September 5, 1714.

(IV) Joshua Armsby, son of Joshua Armsby
(3), was born at Rehoboth, Massachusetts, June I,
1708. He settled in Medfield, where his father liveJ,
west of Noon Hill near the Norfolk line. He died
in Medfield, 1793. He married, 1733, Esther Cheney
and their children, all born at Medfield, were:
Huldah, born May 2, 1734, married, 1757, Benjamin
Boyden, of Walpole; Phebe, born December 26,
1735) died September 27, 1759; Enos, born September
29, 1737, married, April 6, 1763, Joanna Perry; set-
tled in Sutton and has many descendants in Wor-
cester county ; Morab, born May 14, 1740, died No-
vember 16, 1762; Esther, born 1744, married, 1768,
James Plimpton, of Sturbridge ; Zadock, born Octo-
ber 22, 1746, died 1786; Shem, born February 6,
1748-49; Adar, born September 16, i75r, died 1825;
Molly, born November 26, 1754, died 1829; Matthias,
born June, 1757, settled at Medfield; Joshua, see
forward.

(V) Joshua Armsby, son of Joshua Armsby
(4), was born at Medfield, Massachusetts, June 30,
1760. He graduated from Harvard College in
*773- He was educated for the ministry, but never
was settled. He preferred a farmer's life. He
bought a place in Sutton in 1795, which was re-

ii — 14



cently owned by his descendants and known as the
Armsby place. His son Joshua, Jr., built the house
there in 1824. The shop was built in 1835 and the
barn in 1839, and the historian of the town calls
the farm "beautiful." His house was owned later
by Newell Wedge. Joshua Armsby was dismissed
from the Medfield church to the Sutton church in
1799. He died aged eighty-four years. He married
Elizabeth Kingsbury. His children were : I. Amos,
see forward. 2. Joshua, Jr., was a carpenter and
machinist, for several years superintendent of fac-
tories at Wilkinsonville, was representative to the
general court three years ; his son Joshua was a
manufacturer of agricultural implements in Worces-
ter and amassed a fortune, built several blocks, and
his daughter married Newell Wedge (Amherst,
1840), who was a school teacher, was on the Sutton
school board ; his two children were Sarah E. and
Mary A. Wedge, both school teachers. Joshua
Armsby, Jr., married Emeline Brewer, of Worcester,
and they had twins, who died young; Ella A., bora
October, 1847; George F., born August 1, 1850, mar-
ried Emily Bannister, of Worcester, December, 1872,.
and they had — Maud, born December, 1874 ; Flor-
ence; Robert B., born March, 1876.

(VI) Amos Armsby, son of Joshua Armsby
(5), was born in Medfield about 1780. He lived
there and in Sutton when a young man. Shortly
before 1809 he removed to Paris, Maine, and he
was one of the town officers there in that year.
He bought the Samuel R. Carter place of Jesse
Cummings, March 10, 1812. Armsby was a house-
wright and he built the house now or lately stand-
ing on the farm, occupied it until 1815, when he
sold to Deacon Joseph Lindsey, cabinet worker.
Armsby went back to Sutton.

He married Betsey Fletcher, daughter of James
and Margaret (Wood) Fletcher. Margaret was
the daughter of Ezra Wood, and September 21,
1816, the heirs of Margaret joined in a deed to
James Fletcher of their rights in the estate. The
signers were : Amos and Betsey Armsby, Paul
and Betsey Whitin, of Whitinsville, Samuel Flet-
cher, Sally Fletcher, James Fletcher, Jr., Ezra W.
Fletcher, Amasa and Anna Dudley. December .'5.
1816, Amos Armsby, Samuel Fletcher, James
Fletcher, Jr. and Ezra W. Fletcher bought of James
Fletcher, Sr. a half interest in the forge factory
recently built near Fletcher's grist mill, including
half the coal house and two-thirds of the water
privilege and other land. Amos sold his eighth
interest in the forge factory May II, 1822, to Amory
A. Walker, of Northbridge. Armsby was then of
Northbridge himself. Amos Armsby built a large
shop on his homestead and operated it by horse
power. When he sold his farm March 26, 1838,
to Ira Graves, he reserved the shop and sold it to
Gibbs Lilley, who moved it down near his house
and used it for a store. It is now a tenement
house. Armsby's farm was located one mile west
of Sutton meeting house on the Boston Road.
Armsby was one of a number of men who bought
the land for the church — the Congregational So-
ciety — Amos Armsby, Elisha Hall, Daniel Tenney.
Jonas L. Sibley and Nathaniel Woodbury, all of
Sutton — taking a deed from Mary Le Baron March
and deeding to the church the land adjoining the
common. After Mr. Armsby sold out in 1838 he
removed to McLean county, Illinois, where he ,
living February 20, 1839, when he deeded to James
Burnap, of Sutton, his rights in the horse shed
near the Congregational meeting house (No. 5),
fifth from the western end on the north side of the
road.

The children of Amos and Betsey (Fletcher)



2IO



WORCESTER COUNTY



Armsby were: Horace, see forward; Edwin, re-
sided in Whitinsville ; Loren or Loring, graduate
of Amherst College, a Congregational clergyman
of ome note; . married John Morse, Jr.

(VII) Horace Armsby. son of Amos Armsby
(6), was born in Paris. Maine, 1809, died at Mill-
bury. Massachusetts, April 21, 1879, aged seventy

When five or six years of age he removed
to Sutton with his parents and was educated there
in the public schools. He learned the trade of car-
penter of his father. He went to Illinois with his
father and family in 1838. He lived also at Hay-
densville. near Sutton, Massachusetts, for a time.
In 1849 he became a resident of Millbury and en-
gaged in the manufacture of sash, doors, blinds, etc.
and became one of the leading business men of the
town. He held many offices of responsibility and
trust in Millbury. was representative to the gen-
eral court in 1861 and 1862, and was frequently
elected assessor and selectman. He was for several
years president of the Millbury Savings Bank, a
position that establishes his leadership in the finan-
cial world, and one that he filled until his death.
He was a prominent member of the Second Con-
gregational Church and was deacon of this church
twelve years. He married, February 26, 1833, at
Millbury, Lucretia Prentiss. Their only child was
Amos, see forward.

(VIII) Amos Armsby. only son of Horace
Armsby (7). was born in Sutton, Massachusetts
September 10. 1835. died May 19. 1906. after a short
illness, at his home in Millbury. He attended school
at Haydensville, Massachusetts, and in Illinois
where his parents and grandparents lived for sev-
eral years during his youth. In 1849 he went to
Millbury with his parents. He was graduated from
the Millbury Academy, which at that time was one
of the most popular fitting schools in this section.
After leaving school he was employed for a time
as a clerk in the Wheeler Mills, where the present
Mill. Xo. 2, of the Mayo Company is located. He
wa* also for a time the bookkeeper in his father's
sash and blind factory.

In 1872 he entered the Millbury National Bank,
commonly known as the Millbury Bank, as assist-
ant to David Atwood. who was both cashier of
the National Bank and treasurer of the Millbury
Savings Bank. In 1S74 the business became too
great for one man. Mr. Atwood retained his posi-
tion as treasurer of the savings bank and Mr.
\.rmsbv was chosen cashier of the national bank.
He held this position to the entire satisfaction of
all concerned until 1897. when Mr. Atwood's fail-
ing health forced him to resign in order to go to
a warmer climate, and Mr. Armsby succeeded him
and resigned as cashier of the national bank. He
remained a director of the national bank and treas-
urer of the very prosperous and well managed sav-
ings bank to the day of his death. He remained
at his desk until May 7. 1906. less than two weeks
before he died. In many ways Mr. Armsby was
a leading citizen, a man of sterling worth, filling
with unusual ability the offices of resposibility and
trust tli.it be occupied for so many years. For more
than thirty years be has been one of the strong
figures of the tin ncial and business community to
u bicli he beli ingi ■]

Mr v nn-l:\ was for many years a deacon of the
Second Congregational Church, clerk of the society
and at the time of his death was treasurer, a posi-
tion he had held many years. He was an active
member of the Congregational Club of Worcester
and treasurer of the Worcester South Conference
of churches. In politics be was an independent
Republican, interested especially in town matters.



non-partisan in municipal affairs, and not closely
affiliated with his party on ordinary occasions. He
had been assessor of the town of Millbury, and
from 1896 to the end of his life was on the school
committee, of which he was for several years the
chairman. He had just been elected in March pre-
ceding his death to another three-year term on the
school committee. He took a great interest in edu-
cation, and the school system of his town owes
much to him for its improvement and development
in late years.

He married (first), February 4, 1869, Mary A.
Brown, daughter of Suel Brown, of Millbury. She
died April 11, 1875. He married (second), October
31. 1877, Alice M. Davis, of Hubbardston, Massa-
chusetts, who died at Bermuda, December 7, 1897,
while there for her health. Children of Amos and
Mary A. Armsby were:. Robert F., died in in-
fancy; Arthur Fletcher, born March 2T;. 1S75, died
June 18, 1887. Children of Amos and Alice M.
Armsby were: Alfred L., born January 19, 1882;



Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 61 of 133)