Ellery Bicknell Crane.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) online

. (page 62 of 133)
Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 62 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Lauribel. born April 4, 1883 ; Margaret, born Jan-
uary 3, 1887.

Whittemore (1) was the emigrant ancestor of
Joseph Sidney Whittemore, of Leicester, Massa-
chusetts. He came to this country between 1639
and 1645, probably in 1641-2, and settled in that
part of Charlestown which is now embraced within
the citv of Everett. He came from Hitchin, county
Hertford. England. (For the English ancestry of
Thomas Whittemore and a fuller account of Thomas
Whittemore see sketch of Eli J. Whittemore in
this work).

Thomas Whittemore married (second) Sarah
Deardes, April 14, 1623. She was buried Novem-
ber 17, 1628. He married (third) Hannah ,

wdio was born in 1612. He died at Maiden. May 25,
1661. His will is dated February 8. 1660.

The children of Thomas Whittemore were :
Sarah, baptized April 14, 1616; Mary, baptized May
12, 1624: Thomas, baptized October 6, 1626; Daniel,
baptized July 31. 1633; John, baptized April 27,
1635. buried April 29, 1635 ; Nathaniel, baptized May
1. 1636; John, baptized February ir, 1638-9: all
the preceding at the parish church in Hitchin, Eng-
land): Elizabeth, Benjamin. Thomas, Samuel, Pela-
tiah. died 167S ; Abraham, in army 1675, died Jan-
uary 14, 1690-1.

ill) Daniel Whittemore. son of Thomas Whitte-
more (1), was born 1633. baptized at Hitchin, May
T . 1633. He settled in Maiden on the homestead,
which be bequeathed to his sons Daniel and John
by a non-cupative will. He married. March 7, 1662,
Mary Mellins, daughter of Richard Mellins. of
Charlestown, died 1683. His children were: Daniel,
born April 27, 1663; John, born February 12,
1664-5: Thomas, born March 5. 1667; Mary, born
February 15. 1668-9: Nathaniel, born February 7,
1670: Peletiah, born 1680: James.

(Ill) John Whittemore. son of Daniel Whitte-
more (2), was born in Maiden, February 12, 1664-5.
He settled in Maiden. He married Ruth Bassett,
She and her sister Lydia, who married his brother
Daniel, were daughters of Joseph Bassett, son of
the emigrant, William Bassett, who came in the
"Fortune" in [621. He died in 1730. His wife
Ruth was administratrix. Their children were:
John, of Leicester, born September 12, 1694 ; Jere-
miah : Benjamin, born at Maiden, married Sarah
Kendall. 1723: Patience, married Timothy Lamson ;
David, born April 6, 1706. married Alice Kendall,
of Bedford. Massachusetts: Deborah, born March
1. 1707-S; Pelatiah. born October 30, 1710, settled



In Dunstable, Massachusetts. (Nashua, New Hamp-
shire. )

(IV) John Whittemore, son of John Whitte-
more (3), was born in Maiden, September 12, 1694.
He removed from Rumney Marsh (Chelsea) to
Leicester in 1726 and bought a farm, where he
spent the remainder of his days. He built his first
house about 1730, about sixty rods southwest from
lhat which he afterwards built, where his grand-
son lived at the time of his death in 1859. The
farm is now owned by Charles W. Grosvenor.

John Whittemore was called deacon as early as
1735 and captain in 1746. He left the homestead
to his son. Lieutenant James Whittemore, in his
, will, dated December II, 1770. He married Rebecca
Richardson, of Woburn, the daughter of Nathaniel
Richardson. Her mother was Abigajl Reed, daugh-
ter of George Reed, of Woburn, who married Eliza-
beth Jennison, of Watertown, eldest child of Robert
Jennison, the emigrant. Her father, Nathaniel
Richardson, was the son of Nathaniel and the
grandson of Thomas Richardson, who came in the
fleet with Governor Winthrop in 1630. The chil-
dren of John Whittemore were: John, born 1721,
married Elizabeth Earle, 1749, daughter of Robert
Earle : Nathan, born 1723, married Lois Earle,
•daughter of William Earle, 2d; Phebe, born 1727,
married Ralph Earle, of Shrewsbury, 1749; Nathan-
iel, born 1732, married Sarah Rice, of Shrewsbury,
I 753I James, born 1734, married Dorothy Green,

(V) Lieutenant James Whittemore, son of John
Whittemore (4). was born in Leicester, 1734 or
" r 73S- He inherited the homestead there. He was
sergeant in the Leicester company that marched to
Lexington, April 19, 1775, and was later a lieu-
tenant in the revolutionary service. , He bequeathed
the homestead to his son Joseph. He married Dor-
othy Green, and died 181 1. His children were:
James, born October 3, 1762; Phebe, born 1765,
married Samuel Waite ; Dolly, born June 6. 1667;
Samuel, born September 15, 1769, settled in New
York state; Katy. born January 1. 1772; Ann, born
September 1, 1774: Clark, born December 25, 1776;
John, born 1779: Aaron, born 1782; Joseph, born
February 9, 17S6.

(VI) John Whittemore, son of Lieutenant James
Whittemore (5), was born in Leicester, Massachu-
setts, 1779. He married Nancy Howard, April,
1812. Their children were: Eliza, born December
28, 1812, married Sanford Gilmore ; John Howard,
horn June 16. 1815. killed by railroad accident, 1850;
Mary, born 1817, married Henry E. Warren ; Will-
iam, born October 17. 1820, married Elizabeth Dick-
inson : James, born March 6, 1823, married Lucy
Bolton, settled in Leicester; Susan Amanda, born
September 27, 1826. married Josiah E. Joslyn, was
employed many years in the Boston public library.

(VII) James Whittemore, son of John Whitte-
more (6), was born in Leicester, Massachusetts,
March 6. 1823. He married. December 21. 1846,
Lucy Bolton, at Danville, Vermont, and settled in
Leicester. He died June 28, 1882. Their children
were: 1. William F, born August 12. 1848, died
May IS, 1905 ; married Margaret Coughlin ; he was
member of the firm of W. & J. Whittemore, card
clothing manufacturers of Leicester and after con-
solidation manager of the American Card Cloth-
ing Company at Leicester: he had no children. 2.
Su^an Eliza, born in Leicester, February 6, 1851,
married, October 27, 1875, Henry Oliver Smith, of
Leicester. Their children are: James Whittemore,
Lucy, Florence, Dorothy and Philip Smith. 3.
George, died young. 4. James Philip (twin), born
August 13, 1864, died March 17. 1889, unmarried.

5. Joseph Sidney (twin), born August 13, 1864.
(VIII ) Joseph Sidney Whittemore, son of Janus
Whittemore (j), was born in Leicester, Massachu-
setts, August 13, 1864. He spent his boyhood in
his native town and attended the public schools
and Leicester Academy. He also studied for two
years at the Massachusetts Agricultural College at
Amherst, Massachusetts. He went to work in the
card clothing factory of W. & J. Whittemore. The
firm of W. & J. Whittemore began business in 1842
under the title of John H. and William Whittemore
in the building west of the Friends burying ground,
Leicester. William Earle at the same time was
manufacturing card machines in the same building.
John H. and William Whittemore were uncles of
Joseph Sidney Whittemore. In 1850 John H.
Whittemore was killed in a railroad accident. James
Whittemore, brother of the partners, had taken into
the firm in 1845 and after the death of the senior
partner the name was changed to W. &. J. Whitte-
more. William F. Whittemore, brother of Joseph
Sidney, was admitted to partnership in the firm in

t8 7 4. '

Joseph Sidney Whittemore left the factory after
a time to take the business course at the Eastman
Business College at Poughkeepsie, New York. He
graduated there in 1887 and returned to help his
brother in the card clothing business. When the
business was bought by the American Card Cloth-
ing Company in 1890 he remained with the new
company ; up to the time the Leicester factory was
closed and the company liquidated, in 1905, he was
for the greater portion of the time superintendent
of the finishing department. When the liquidation
of the American Card Clothing Company threat-
ened to end the manufacturing of card clothing,
which had been an industry peculiar to Leicester
for many years, a company was organized to carry
on the business in the Whittemore factory. The
new company started in the summer of 1905. Mr.
Whittemore is the superintendent of the finishing
department. The Leicester Card Clothing Com-
pany is a Massachusetts corporation with ample
capital. The officers are : President, A. B. David-
son : vice-president, A. F. Estabrook ; treasurer,
Walter Warren ; manager, N. C. Estes ; clerk, Jo-
seph S. Whittemore ; all directors.

Mr. Whittemore has served the town of Lei-
cester in various positions of trust and honor. He
has been on the board of health, chief engineer of
the fire department since 1903. and member and
clerk of selectmen since 1904. He is a Free Mason,
a member of Morning Star Lodge of Worcester,
Worcester Royal Arch Chapter. Hiram Council,
Stella Chapter. Eastern Star. He is a member of
the fraternity Phi Sigma Kappa, Alpha Chapter, the
Massachusetts Agricultural College, and of the Lei-
cester Club.

He married, July 23, 1891. Kate White Cnwles,
r'aurhter of Rufus F. and Carrie Rice Cowles, of
Fitchburg, Massachusetts. She was born July 26,
1S67. Their children are: James Philip, born Feb-
ruary 19, 1894: Irene Elizabeth, born June 2^, 1897.

WALLING FAMILY. Thomas Walling (1),
the immigrant ancestor of Nelson Walling, late of
Millbury. Massachusetts, was born in England about
1630. He came to New England and made his home
in the colony of Roger Williams at Providence.
He was formally accepted as a townsman. July 28,
1651. He had been there for some months surely,
because we find him mentioned in a letter dated
January 22, 1651, as the lover of the girl he sub-
sequently married. This letter was written by
Roger Williams himself at Narragansett in the



town of Providence. "I understand" he wrote
"that one of the orphans of our dead friend, Daniel
Abbott, is likely (as she herself told me) to be
disposed of in marriage. Tis true that she has now
come to some years, but who knows not what need
the ;:oor maid hath of your fatherly care, counsel
and direction. I would not disparage the young
man (for I hear that he hath been laborious)" etc.
He desires the town, however, to have some assur-
ance that the young man "will forsake his former
courses." Whatever Williams meant by his courses
is not told — probably some religious differences,
from the fact that Walling evidently conformed
later and was admitted a freeman in 1655. He be-
came a man of prominence. As early as 1657 he
was a commissioner and magistrate. In 1660 he
was surveyor of highways in Providence. He sold
a home share of land January 25, 1657, to Richard
Pray, and he drew lot No. 72 in a division of land
among the proprietors of Providence, February 19,
1665. He had a law suit with Thomas Olney, Jr.,
July 27, 1670.

He died at Providence, Rhode Island, July 19,
1674. His will was dated July 19, 1674, and proved
November 22, 1674, his wife Margaret being exe-
cutor. He bequeathed His farm to his sons Thomas,
John and William Walling; his house to William;
other lands to sons James and Cornelius and re-
membered his daughter Abigail with a trifle. His
widow, December 13, 1675, confirmed a deed of
fifty acres of land sold by her late husband to
Daniel Abbott. Mr. Walling married Mary Abbott,
daughter of Daniel and Mary Abbott. Daniel was
a friend of Roger Williams and Mary was the or-
phan mentioned in the letter quoted. Mr. Walling
married (second), June 19, 1669, a few months after
the death of his first wife, Margaret Colwell, daugh-
ter of Robert Colwell. She married (second), De-
cember 25, 1678, Daniel Abbott. She died 1717.
Children of Thomas and Mary Walling were:
Thomas, married, 1695, Sarah Elwell and they had
ten children ; removed to Cohansey, New Jersey,
but some of the family remained and .descendants
lived at Providence. Gershom, settled in Provi-
dence ; apprenticed very young to Nathaniel Mowry
January 27, 1667. Abigail, died unmarried 1677.
James, see forward. Children of Thomas and
Margaret Walling were: William, born May 20,
1670. John, born May 20, 1670, died November 11,
1694, unmarried; estate administered by his brother
Thomas, Cornelius, born October 25, 1672.

(II) James Walling, son of Thomas Walling
(1), was born about 1669 in Providence, Rhode
Island, and died at Smithfield, April 4. 1753. His
name first appears on the Providence tax roll Sep-
tember 1, 1687. He deeded a farm of seventy-five
acres at Providence, August 2, 1721, to his son
Jan.es. lie removed to Smithfield, the town ad-
joining, afterward. He was a resident of Smith-
field. January 1. 1738. when he deeded, for one
hundred and twenty pounds, sixty acres of land
to his son, Cornelius Walling, then of the adjacent
town of Glocester. His son Daniel Walling and
wife Priscilla deeded twenty acres to his brother
Cornelius, of Glocester, for seven hundred and forty
pounds, November 28, 1743.

James Walling died in 1753. He made his will
March 7. 1752-3, and it was proved April 13, 1753
Captain William Sprague, who married his daughter
Mercy, was executor. He named some of his chil-
dren and grandchildren, evidently having provided
for the sons mainly by deed of gift, etc. He mar-
ried (second), March 24, 1750-51, when a very old
man, Elizabeth Nox, at Smithfield. She died in
1754. His children, born at Providence and Smith-

field, were : James, mentioned in deed ; Cornelius,
mentioned in deed; Daniel, mentioned in deed;.

William, mentioned in will; Abigail, married

Blackmar; Mercy, married Captain William

Sprague, August 26, 1744; Mary, married

Cook; Elizabeth, a daughter; John, see forward.
The daughters here given were mentioned in the
will ; John is mentioned by Arnold, the historian.

(III) John Walling, son of James Walling (2),
was born in Providence or Smithfield, Rhode Island,
about 1710. He and his brother Cornelius settled
in Glocester, Rhode Island, though there is no
record of the family of Cornelius or that he had
one at Glocester. John was married by Elisha
Knovvlton, justice, July 19, 1730, to Hope Orr, of
Glocester. All the marriages were performed by-
magistrates at that time according to the colonial
law. Children of John and Hope Walling, born
at Glocester, were: Isaac, May 8, 1731 ; Jacob,
June 12, 1732; John, see forward; Rebecca, June
12. 1735: Phebe, September 15, 1736; Mary, May
9, 1740; Joshua, July 5, 1746.

(IV) John Walling, Jr., son of John Walling
(3). was born at Glocester. Rhode Island, Septem-
ber 15. 1733. He also settled in Glocester and mar-
ried there (by Jonathan Harris, justice), Febru-
ary 24. 1765, Martha Staples, widow. Their chil-
dren, born at Glocester. were: Rachel, July 3, 1765;:
Ishmael, see forward; Richard, April 9, 1769;
Martha, December 3, 1773.

(V) Ishmael Walling, son of John Walling, Jr.
(4), was born at Glocester, Rhode Island, May 12,
1767. He settled on the old homestead in Glocester
and was a farmer like his ancestors before him.
He married there. December 2r, 1788 (by Elder
William Bowen), Mary Buxton, of Glocester. Their
children were : Salley, born at Glocester, January

22, 1789: Clarke, April 17, 1790; John, March 26,
1793; Rachel, January 17, 1796; Martin, August

23. 1800. had son Nelson who married Huldah N.
Capwell, of Conventry, February 3, 1845; Nelson,
born at Burrillville, village near Gloucester, 1813,
see forward.

(VI) Nelson Walling, son of Ishamel Walling
(5), was born in Burrillville, Rhode Island. 1813,
and died in Millbury, 1885. He received a common
school education in his native town and learned
the business of a butcher, which he followed in
Burrillville for some years. He began there in a
small way to manufacture satinets, gradually en-
larging his business as his capital increased. In
1853 Mr. Walling built a mill at Millbury near the
pond, and for a time conducted his business under
the name of J. C. Howe & Company and for many
years under his own name. He became one of the
leading manufacturers of the Blackstone valley,
employing three hundred hands at the time of his
death. He manufactured fancy cassimeres for many
years. He was very prosperous, but used his wealth
freely in developing business and was generous in
giving to charities and public enterprises. He com-
manded the respect of his townsmen and held a
leading position for many years in the business of
his vicinity. He was largely selfeducated, always
a student. In his younger days he taught school
for a time. He was a Republican after the organi-
zation of that party, but never cared for public
office. He attended the Congregational church, of
which he was a liberal supporter. He was a mem-
ber of no fraternal orders, preferring to devote his
time entirely to his business and his home.

He married (first) Eliza Sayles. of a well known
Rhode Island family. He married (second) Sarah
Ann Place, June, 1S54, in Woonsocket. Rhode Is-
land, daughter of Peter and Eliza (Hathaway)-



Place. She is descended from Peter Place, one of the
early settlers of Providence Plantation, an inhabitant
there in 16S0. Her father was a manufacturer.
Children of Nelson and Eliza Walling were:
Albert, who was drowned; Hosea, Martin, Caro-
line, Amelia, Antoinette, Mary, died young. Chil-
dren of Nelson and Sarah Ann Walling were:
Eliza, who married George Clement, resides in
Washington, D. C. ; is in the treasury department;
Anna Adele, resides in Millbury with her mother;
Sarah Hortense, resides at home with her mother
in Millbury.

LAROY S. STARRETT, of Athol, Massachu-
setts, manufacturer of fine mechanical tools, a rep-
resentative citizen of the town and its leader in
philanthropic works, is a native of China, Maine,
born April 25, 1836. He is of Scotch descent and
one of the twelve children born to Daniel D. and
Anna Starrett, viz. : Orissa, married Newell
Rollins; Ann Frances, married Henry Hussy;
Sarah Adams, married Ira Smart; Minerva,
married Elihu Hanson; John Wesley, mar-
ried Sarah Latham ; Laroy S., see forward ;

William R., married , of California; Daniel

Franklin, who was drowned in California; Eliza-
beth Foster, married John Hall; Samuel C, mar-
ried Emily Mosher ; Ann Elizabeth, died young;
Mary Viola, married Horace Sibley, now of Florida.

Laroy S. Starrett is what is termed a natural
born mechanic, showing this genius when but_ a
very small boy. Instead of spending his pennies
for candy as the majority of children do, he bought
knives, gimlets, chisels, planes, etc. At the age of
seventeen he left his native place and located in the
state of Massachusetts, where he engaged in the
pursuit of farming. From 1861 to 1864 he carried
on the stock farm of six hundred acres in New-
buryport, known as Turkey Hill Farm. All this
time the inventive genius in him was developing,
and in 1864 he was granted a number of patents for
mechanical inventions. The following year he sold
Ins farming interests and started a machine shop
in Newburyport, employing a few skilled workmen.
In the spring of 1868 he came to Athol, being in-
duced to come here largely through the efforts of
the late John C. Hill, who, with others, formed the
Athol Machine Company, which was incorporated
for the special purpose of the manufacture of Mr.
Starrett's inventions, prominent among which was
the American meat chopper. For about seven years
Tie was genera! agent and superintendent of the
■company. He then resigned and began on a very
small scale the manufacture of squares, surface
gauges, steel rules, calipers and other machinist's

His present extensive business operations, which
are conducted in three large factories, were started
\>y hiring the lower floor of a shop on the east side
■of Crescent street, owned by the Cotton Mill Com-
pany, and later the whole building. He had much
to contend with but his will power overcame every
obstacle, .including several law suits in defense of
"his patents, which his competitors undertook to
appropriate, and he stands today the largest manu-
facturer of fine merchanical tools in the world.
At first he made only the combination square,
-with which his name has become associated all
•over the world. This square contains a steel rule
with a sliding head which may be moved along the
rule or detached from it. The rale is graduated
into small fractions of an inch on both sides, and
-with the aid of the head or stock may be. used as
a square or mitre, a level or plumb. Later he
bought a larger and better factory on the other

side of the street, which forms the north end of
the present plant on the west side of Crescent
street. As his business increased and greater facili-
ties were required, he added two stories to the
building and in 1894 the remainder of the factory
was built, consisting of the middle part — eighty feet
— which spans the river, and the south section —
eighty feet — with the brick boiler house and grind-
ing room — fifty by seventy-five feet — in the rear
with other additions. In 1901 the floor space oc-
cupied by the company was some sixty thousand
square feet. In 1906 (the time of this writing) the
company has more than double the size of its plant,
the floor space now being one hundred and forty
thousand square feet, making, without doubt, the
largest plant in the world devoted exclusively to
the making of small mechanical tools. The entire
plant is equipped with electric lights, automatic
fire extinguishers and every up-to-date machine and
appliance imaginable for the cheap and accurate
manufacture of the goods. The works give em-
ployment to more than six hundred hands, and this
force will soon be increased to one thousand. Mr.
Starrett has agents in all parts of the civilized
world. It is hard to state accurately just how many
different tools are made, as there are so many which
are simply varieties and different sizes of some
particular tool and not really distinct tools in them-
selves. Steel rules form an important branch of
manufacture and are made in a great variety of
styles in both English and Metric graduations. A
large number of different styles of squares are made
and micrometer gauges of over thirty different
styles, measuring from r inch to 12 inch in thou-
sandths or ten thousandths of an inch and embody-
ing a number of improvements in this class of in-
struments. Between one hundred and seventy-five
and two hundred different styles and sizes of cali-
pers and dividers are made. Other articles are
bevels scratch gauges, screw pitch gauges, cut nip-
pers, depth gauges, hack saw frames, hack saws,
steel clamps, speed indicaters, surface gauges, levels,
steel tapes, plumb bobs and a variety of other uni-
que and popular instruments of precision used by
machinists, wood workers and draughtsmen. The
tools made by this company are sold in every civi-
lized country throughout the world. Special agen-
cies are maintained in several cities in England,
Germany, Belgium, Italy. France, _ Switzerland,
Sweden. Denmark, Austria, Argentine Republic,
Australia and Japan, and on office and store at No.
123 Liberty street. New York city, and at No. 15
South Canal street, Chicago. On January II, 1900,
the business was incorporated under Massachu-
setts laws with L. S. Starrett, president and treas-
urer; F. A. Ball, vice-president; F. E. Wing, clerk.
These with M. B. Waterman and W. G. Nims con-
stitute the stockholders and directors. In April,
1906, Mr. Starrett took a controlling interest in the
Athol Machine Co.. (which he formerly estab-
lished') employing about seventy-five hands, and is
increasing the business there. He has this year
(1906) built across Miller's river, in place of a log
dam built some thirty-five years ago, one of the
finest concrete dams of this modern age, which is
likely to stay there for ages to come. It is one
hundred and twenty feet long and has a subway
six by seven feet, through its center, designed for
putting in gas, water and steam pipes, electric wires,
etc. as future needs may require. This dam is built
upon a solid ledge, a part of it thirty feet below
the too. although the water fall is but eighteen
feet. This improved dam attracts a great deal of
attention and of it the citizens of the town are
justly proud. It will stand for all times as an en-



during monument to the builder, while affording
one of the best water powers on Miller's river.

Mr. Starrett has always been a friend to his em-
ployes, paid the best of wages and provided the
shops with every known plan which would insure
their safety and comfort. In the matter of sani-
tary precautions he has been a leader. The sys-
tem he has employed in carrying off the dust and
offensive odors from the plant has been marked

Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 62 of 133)