Ellery Bicknell Crane.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) online

. (page 64 of 133)
Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 64 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

almost miraculous by those who knew the circum-
stances at the time, as well as by those who have
since become acquainted with them. After having
improved somewhat, he was transferred to the
Veteran Reserve Corps, in which he remained until
after the close of tire war. when he was mustered
out, and returned to his home in Vermont. He
was married, July 3, 1881, to Elizabeth Miller Pot-
ter, daughter of Loyal A. and Narcissa L. (Miller)
Potter, of Potten, Providence of Quebec. She bore
him one son. and died November 28, 1883, in Cam-
bridge, Vermont. The son, Philip Sheridan French",
was born in Cambridge, Vermont, November 29,
1S83. He married, in 1904, Belva J. Hodgkins, of
Johnson. Vermont, by whom he has had one son,
Philip Hodgkins French ; and he now lives in
Waltham, Massachusetts, where he is employed in
the works of the Waltham Watch Company. With
him his father now makes his home.

5. Charles Finney, born December 26, 1840.
During the summer of 1862 he enlisted as a recruit
in the Fifth Vermont Volunteers, and went to the
front. After enduring much hardship and suffer-
ing, he died in the hospital on the field, at Brandy
Station, Virginia, December 18, 1863, from chronic

6. Henry Martyn. born September 15, 1847,
died March 31. 1851, in Johnson, Vermont.

7. John Marshall, the subject of this sketch,
was born in Cambridge, Vermont, January' I, 1850.
He was educated as a teacher in the normal schools
of Johnson, Vermont; Plymouth, New Hampshire;
and Lebanon, Ohio ; graduating from the first in
1868, and from the second in 1871. In both these
schools, he was under the tuition and influence of
Silas H. Pearl, a teacher who as an inspiration to
his pupils has had few superiors; and in the third,
the National Normal School of Lebanon, Ohio,
which he attended in 1873, his methods of teaching
were largely modified by Alfred Holbrook, the
founder of the school, and his son, R. Heber Hol-
brook. men whose strong individuality and common-
sense methods have left a permanent impress upon
thousands of teachers in the west and south. He
was engaged in teaching in Vermont and New
Hampshire during a large portion of the time from
1868 to 1878, teaching in public and private, "dis-
trict," graded, high, and normal schools.

In the meantime he pursued a course of study
in medicine, under the tuition of Robert L. Flagg,
M. D., of Jeffersonville. Vermont, and in the medi-
cal departments of the Universiay of Vermont and
Dartmouth College, receiving the degree of Doctor
of Medicine from the former institution in 1877;
and afterwards, in the winter of 1880-81, taking
a post-graduate course in the medical department
of the Umiversity of New York and in Bellevue

He began the practice of his profession in Camp-
ton, New Hampshire, in 1878. remaining there until
the summer of 1880. when he removed to Sims-
bury, Connecticut. On December 1, 1880, he was
married to Miss Mary Josephine Morrison, of
Campton Village, New Hampshire, daughter of Jo-
seph Weld and Hannah French (Giddings) Mor-
rison, who has since been his faithful helper in every
undertaking. No children have been born to them.
He remained in Simsbury until 1883. when he lo-
cated in Mil ford, Massachusetts, where he has ever
since practiced.

Dr. French has always been an ardent believer
in the benefits of association for medical men,
as is shown by his member-hip and work in the
various medical societies with which he has been
connected. He was a member of the New Hampshire



Medical Association when practicing in that
state, of the Connecticut Medical Society when
in Connecticut, and of the Massachusetts Med-
ical Society while in Massachusetts. When in
Connecticut, he was also a member of the
Framington Valley Medical Society. On coming
to Milford, he united with the Thurber Medical
Association, which is perhaps the oldest purely inde-
pendent local medical society in New England, and
has been one of its most active workers from that
time, having served two years as its president and
seventeen as its secretary. In 1901 he was one
of the founders of the Aesculapian Club, a unique
social semi-medical club, composed of physicians
and their wives, and having a limited membership.
He is also a member of the American Medical
Association, and the American Medical Temper-
ance Association. He is an earnest student of the
alcohol question in its various phases. In 1892 he
became specially interested in the treatment of
inebriety, and a few years later established and
conducted on strictly ethical lines a sanitarium for
the treatment of drug habitues. He gave much
time and attention to this line of work, and became
well known as a writer on the treatment of alcohol-
ism and drug addictions.

He has been a frequent contributor to current
periodicals, writing on literary, historical, genealogi-
cal, hygienic, medical and insurance topics. In the
line of his profession, his writings relate largely to
the subjects of alcohol and inebriety, longevity and
hygiene, and practical therapeutics. In 1899 he re-
ceived the Chase-Wiggin prize from the Rhode
Island Medical Society for the best essay on
alcohol ; and in 1900 was awarded a prize by the
Thurber Medical Association for a collective in-
vestigation report on the treatment of pneumonia.
He was for several years associate editor of the
Vermont Medical Monthly; was at one time de-
partment editor of Albright's Office Practitioner;
and for a short time, in conjunction with Dr. N. W.
Sanborn, of Bellingham, edited and published the
New r England Alkaloidist.

From his boyhood he has been a member of the
Congregational church, and for several years was
a deacon in the Milford Congregational church;
also a member and for thirteen years a director
of the Milford Young Men's Christian Associa-
tion. He has always been interested in fraternal
orders, has a membership in the Odd Fellows.
United Workmen. Golden Star, and New England
Workmen, while he has at various times been con-
nected with several others.

In professional lines, he is specially interested
in the department of internal medicine. In thera-
peutics he is an ardent alkaloidist, using the active
principles very largely in his practice. His pro-
fessional work has always been that of a general
practitioner and family physician, rather than that
of a surgeon, or specialist in any direction, with
perhaps the exception of inebriety and drug addic-
ti' 11s He i- medical examiner for a large number
of life insurance companies and fraternal benefit

- ni.-itii uis anil w: for five years grand medical
director of the United Order of the Golden Star.
He is a member of the managing board of the
. Milford Hospital, and also of its medical staff. In
politics, Dr. French is counted as an independent
voter, with Republican affiliations, but casting his
vote for the men and the measures which meet
his approval, irrespective of party. At the time
of his leaving Campton, New Hampshire, he was
superintendent of schools of that town, and this is
tin only public office which he has ever held.

The French family claims its origin from Rollo,

Duke of Normandy, who was himself a Norman
Viking, but who settled in France, and in the
year 910 formally adopted the Christian religion
and was baptized, taking the name of Robert, Count
of Paris, who was his godfather. He had already
conquered the province of Normandy, which was
now ceded to him in due form by Charles the
Simple, King of France, who also gave him in mar-
riage his daughter Gisela, in the year 912. The
name of French is derived from the French word
Frene, the ash-tree or by derivation, an ashen
spear. Genealogical research has brought to light
about forty variations of the name, including Frene,
Freyne, De la Freyne, De la Fresnay, Frainch,
ffrenche, and French. The ancient motto of the
French family was "Malo mori quant foedari," "I
prefer death rather than dishonor." Concerning
the coat of arms, it is said that "of the seventeen
families of French mentioned by Burke, are quite
a variety of armorial bearings, the dolphin and
rleur de lis being the most conspicuous."
. The first record of the ancestors of Lieutenant
William French in England, so far as they have
been traced by the American members of the fam-
ily, is found in Essex county in the year 1351.
Thomas ffrenche, the great-grandfather of William,
died in Weathersfield, Essex county, England, in
1599, leaving bequests to the poor of several parishes.
His son Thomas, grandfather of William, died at
Halsted, Essex county, in 1613 ; and his son Thomas,
the father of William, also lived and died in

Another branch of the French family settled in
Ireland, where a numerous and highly respectable
progeny sprung up and occupied prominent posi-
tions in church and state, several of them being
peers of the realm. Still another branch settled
in Scotland: and lastly, from the English branch
numerous members came to New England dur-
ing the period known as the "Puritan Exodus,"
and have borne an honorable part in the develop-
ment of the country.

HATHAWAY FAMILY. John Hathaway (1),
the immigrant ancestor of Bowers C. Hathaway, of
Westborough, Massachusetts, was born in England
and came to America at the age of eighteen years
in the ship "Blessing." He must, therefore, have
been born in 1617. He sailed in July, 1635. He
was before the general court, June 6, 1637. He
settled in Barnstable in Plymouth colony and was
living at Taunton in 1649. He was a member of the
Plymouth military company in 1643. Once he was
arraigned before the Plymouth court for "lending
a gun to an Indian." He was residing at Barn-
stable in 1656 and later he removed to Yarmouth.
He was admitted a freeman in 1670, bought a tract
of land at Freetown, lot No. 18, in 1671, was con-
stable in 1676 and again in 1690 at Taunton. He was
often on the grand jury. He was selectman of
Taunton in 1680 and 1684, deputy to the general
court at Plymouth from 1680 to 1684 and in 1691,
and to the general court of Massachusetts in

He had a brother, Joseph Hathaway, living in
Taunton, admitted a freeman 1657. The home of
John Hathaway finally was in what is now Berkeley,
Massachusetts, known as The Farms, just north of
where the land abuts on the Great river. The site
of his house was marked by an iron tablet in 1889,
by the Old Colony Historical Society. The will of
John Hathaway was dated August 3, 16S9, and
proved February 15, 1696-97. He bequeathed to-
wife Elizabeth; sons Thomas, John, Gideon and
Edward; daughters by a former wife, etc. He mar-




ried (first)

(second) Martha


died before 1693, and (third) Ruth , who died

September, 1705. His children were: Abraham,
born 1652, see forward ; Thomas, John, Jr., born
August 16, 1658, inherited father's land at Free-
town; Hannah, born May, 1662; Edward, born
Ferbruary 10, 1663; Gideon. The Old Colony His-
torical Society records, Vol. VI, page 80, in an article
on the Hathaway family gives sons Isaac, Ephraim,
Abigail, who married James Phillips, and Rebecca,
who married Jared Talbot, in addition to the above
who were mentioned in the will.

(II) Abraham Hathaway, son of John Hathaway
(1), was born in 1652. He was a blacksmith by
trade and at one time had charge of the ferry across
the Taunton river. He was a soldier in King Phil-
ip's war, and the records show August 27, 1675, that
he was accredited with two pounds, seven shillings,
for service in Captain Daniel Henchman's company.
He was a member of the Fourth Squadron of
Taunton militia April 8, 1682, and served again in
King William's war in 1691 under Captain Thomas
Leonard. He was a member of the first military
company of Taunton in 1700. He was one of the
petitioners at Taunton for the setting off of that
part of Taunton since known as Dighton. He
was deacon of the church that became the First
Church of Dighton. He died August, 1725. His
will was dated August 18, 1725. He was then of
Dighton. The will names his children as given be-
low and other friends, etc. He married, August
28, 1684, Mrs. Rebecca (Wilbur) Pierce, daughter
of Shadrach Wilbur, and granddaughter of Samuel
Wilbur, of Taunton. She was born January 13,
1665. Their children were : Abraham, Jr., Eben-
ezer, born May 25, 1689, see forward ; Samuel, born
1690; John, Benjamin, Thomas, Eleazer, Shadrach,

(III) Lieutenant-Colonel Ebenezer Hathaway,
son of Deacon Abraham Hathaway (2), was born
at Taunton, Massachusetts, May 25, 1689. He re-
sided at Freetown, Massachusetts. He was active
in the militia and attained the rank of lieutenant-
colonel of the Bristol county regiment in 1749. His
will was dated September 24, 1764, and. proved
February 29, 1768. He died February 16, 1768, in
his seventy-ninth year. His grave and that of his
wife are marked with headstones. He married
(first) Hannah Shaw, daughter of Benjamin (HI),
granddaughter of John Shaw (II), and great-grand-
daughter of the immigrant, Abraham Shaw (I),
mentioned elsewhere in this work. Hannah Shaw
was born in 1693 and died December 20, 1727. He

married (second) Mary . Children of Colonel

Ebenezer and Hannah Hathaway were : Abigail,
born March 25, 1716; Captain Ebenezer, born July

11, 1718, married Welthe Gilbert; Silas, born Sep-
tember 2, 1721, see forward ; Hannah, born March

12, 1724; Benjamin, born May 12, 1726.

(IV) Silas Hathaway, son of Ebenezer Hatha-
way (3), was born at Freetown, Massachusetts, Sep-
tember 2, 1721. He married Deborah Carlisle. They
had five sons or more in the revolutionary army.
Their children, born at Freetown, were: Benjamin,
soldier in the revolution; Abigail, married (first)

Pierce; (second) Joshua Howland; Lydia,

Phylena, Joseph, see forward ; Eleazer, soldier in the
revolution ; Samuel, soldier in revolution ; Silas, Jr.,
soldier; Nathaniel, soldier; Deborah, Esther, Polly,

(V) Joseph Hathaway, son of Silas Hathaway
(4), was born in Freetown, Massachusetts, about
1750. He was a soldier in the revolution in Cap-
tain Elijah Walker's company, Colonel John Hatha-
way's regiment, in 1777, on the Rhode Island alarm.

He may have been the Joseph Hathaway who was a
prisoner of war in the prison-ship "Lord Sandwich,"
which landed at Bristol, Rhode Island, March 7.
1778. He lived at Freetown, Massachusetts. lit
married, March, 1773, Bathsheba Simmons, o£
Dighton. Their children, all born at Freetown,
were: Bathsheba, born 1775; Joseph, born February
6, 1781; Hannah P., born February 14, 1783; Deb-
orah, born March 18, 1787; Lurania, born January
8, 1790; Martin, born January 20, 1792; Ennis, born
March 25, 1794, see forward; Thomas, born Feb-
ruary 21, 1796.

(VI) Ennis Hathaway, son of Joseph Hatha-
way (5), was born in Freetown, Massachusetts.
March 25, 1794, and died in 1887. He was a soldier
in the war of 1812, enlisting in the company organ-
ized to defend the town of New Bedford against
the British. He did garrison duty at Fort Phenix
and took part in the capture of the British privateer
"Nimrod." At the time of his death he was the
only pensioner of the war of 1812 in that section
of the Commonwealth. He was nearly ninety-four
at the time of his death. Many of the family en-
joyed long life. A sister lived to the age of ninety-
five years, a brother was ninety years old and six
of the family were living all aged over eighty years.

Ennis Hathaway married Clarissa Chase, daugh-
ter of Simeon Chase, who was a soldier in the revo-
lution, enlisting early in the struggle for independ-
ence and serving in the Continental army to the
end of the war. Children of Ennis and Clarissa
Chase were : William E., a merchant at East Bos-
ton; Bowers C, see forward; Franklin L., deceased,
was a contractor at Providence, Rhode Island ;

Clarissa J., married Babbitt, of Berkeley,

Massachusetts; Alonzo H., resided in Dorchester
and Brockton, Massachusetts ; Catherine F., de-
ceased ; Charles E. resides on the old homestead at
Freetown Massachusetts.

(VII) Bowers C. Hathaway, son of Ennis Hatha-
way (6), was born in Freetown, Massachusetts,
March 18, 1823. He attended the public school 111
the neighborhood of his home, and when fifteen
years old went to sea in the position of ship's cook,
continuing for two years. At the age of seventeen
years he again left home, this time to go to New
Bedford, whither he walked, a distance of fifteen
miles, saving the dollar his father had given him to
pay his fare. In New Bedford he was accepted as
an apprentice at the carpenter's trade by Braddock
Gifford, from whom he received during his term of
service the sum of thirty dollars per year and
board. At the end of three years and a half his
apprenticeship ended and he continued to work as a
journeyman. He was a foreman for a Boston con-
tractor in 1845, and in 1847 went to Westborough,
Massachusetts, to work on the buildings of the
State Reform School, then in course of construction.
He has had much to do since then with the build-
ing and development of that institution. He lived
at the same boarding house with the first superin-
tendent of the school and assisted him in caring for
the first boy committed to his care. He superin-
tended the erection of additional buildings after the
school had proved itself useful and successful. He
was employed in rebuilding the part destroyed by
fire in 1859, and he had charge of extensive changes
in 1875-76, when the Commonwealth expended a
hundred thousand dollars in rebuilding the institu-
tion on a much larger scale.

He has been one of the most prominent contract-
ors and builders in his section. He has lived in
Westborough continuously for nearly sixty years,
during most of that time being in active business.
At present he is retired from business. Among the



more notable buildings which he built are: The
Post Office building, National Straw Works, Henry
block, American block, Park building, Griggs build-
ing, Whitney House, Gould & Walker factory, and
the factory of the Hunt Manufacturing Company,
all of which are in Westborough. He has also built
a large number of residences and some school build-
ings in Westborough, Waltham and other Massachu-
setts towns.

Politically Mr. Hathaway was in his earlier years
a Whig, but with the majority of that party joined
the Republican party at its formation in 1856 and
has ever since been a steadfast adherent. He was
at one time chairman of the twelfth Worcester
representative district committee, chairman of the
Republican town committee of Westborough, rep-
resentative in the general court in 1894-95, serving
on the committee on charitable institutions. He was
selectman of the town for a number of years, and
was the chairman of the board for three years.
From 1881 to 1892 he was the chief engineer of the
Westborough fire department. He was formerly
president of the Westborough board of trade, trustee
of the Westborough Savings Bank and member of
the investment committee. He enlisted in the civil
war in a Massachusetts regiment, and is a member
of Arthur G. Briscoe Post, No. 80, Grand Army.
He is an active member of Siloam Lodge of Free
Masons and has been treasurer since 1896. He Is
also a member of Bethany Chapter, Order of the
Eastern Star.

Mr. Hathaway married, November 26, 1846,
Mary A. Barrows, daughter of Captain Guilford
Barrows, of New Bedford. Her father was a well
known sea captain. He made several long whaling
voyages to the Arctic Ocean, doubled Cape Horn
nine times and circumnavigated the earth three
times. Her mother's father, Luther Reading, served
in the Continental army during the revolutionary
war. In 1896 Mr. and Mrs. Hathaway celebrated
their golden wedding, which was largely attended,
nearly five hundred being present to congratulate
them, and they received many valuable presents.
Mrs. Hathaway died April 24, 1903. Their only
child, Charles Bowers, Hathaway, resides in Seattle,
Washington. He married, May iS, 1871, Alice Jean-
nette Hutchinson, daughter of Daniel C. and Abi-
gail Frances (Delano) Hutchinson, of Milton, Mas-
sachusetts, and they have one child — Blanche Roasa-
mond Hathaway, born September 6, 1881, a grad-
uate of the Westborough high school, resides with
her grandfather at Westborough.

JOEL CHAPIN. Deacon Samuel Chapin (1)
was the emigrant ancestor of the late Joel Chapin,
of Milford, Massachusetts, and probably also of all
the families in this part of the country bearing this
surname. Samuel Chapin arrived in America be-
tween the years 1633 and 1635. He took the free-
man's oath in Boston June 2, 1641, and the year fol-
lowing settled with his family in Springfield, Massa-
chusetts, then the western outpost of New England.
He began as one of the leading citizens of the
colony. In 1652 he was appointed magistrate of the
town, and in 1654 his commission as magistrate
was indefinitely extended. In the interim between
pastorates in the church he w : as called upon to
officiate and was declared to be "exceeding moving
in prayer." He was a contemporary of Pynchon
and Holyoke, and was pronounced a good Puritan,
of sound judgment, fervent piety, tender humanity,
and a rare gift of enterprise. Near the City Library
in Springfield stands a bronze statue by Augustus
St. Gaudens, the foremost American sculptor of
the present time, typifying "The Puritan," Samuel

Chapin. It was presented to the city by a descendant
of the sixth generation, Hon. Chester Williams
Chapin, and unveiled on Thanksgiving Day, Novem-
ber 24, 1887, after the death of the donor.

Deacon Samuel Chapin died in Springfield, No-
vember 11, 1675, and his widow Cisely died Feb-
ruary 8, 1683. Only their youngest child was born
in Springfield. Their children were: I. Japhet, born
1642, died February 20, 1712. 2. Henry, died Au-
gust 15, 1718. 3. Catherine, died February 4, 1712.
4. David. 5. Josiah, died September 10, 1726. 6.
Sarah, died August 5, 1684. 7. Hannah, born De-
cember 2, 1644.

(.II) Josiah Chapin, son of Deacon Samuel
Chapin (1), was born in England in 1634. He in-
herited the homestead in Springfield and became
eminent there as a surveyor of land. He was hon-
ored with important public offices and various posi-
tions of trust and responsibility, was enterprising,
and acquired much property. He resided in Brain-
tree for several years, and there nearly all of his
children were born and several remained there.
After King Philip's war, when Mendon was re-
settled, he joined the colonists there, probably in
1682. He soon became one of the conspicuous men
of Mendon, and held the highest offices there. He
owned large tracts of land. He died in 1726. The
record of his children's births is preserved in his
own handwriting. He married first, Mary King, in
Weymouth, November, 1658. She died May 30,
1676. He married (second) Lydia Brown, Septem-
ber 20, 1676. She died October 11, 171 1, and he
married (third) Mehitable Metcalf, of Dedham,
June 22, 1713. She died December 2, 1724. Chil-
dren of Josiah and Mary (King) Chapin: I. Sam-
uel, born Weymouth, November 11, 1659. 2. John,
born Braintree, June 11, 1661. 3. Mary, born Brain-
tree, August 27, 1662. 4. Deborah, born Braintree
June 16, 1664. 5. Josiah, born Braintree, Decem-
ber 17, 1665. slain in Lord Russell's tight, May 20,
1693. 6. Shem, born May 11, 1667, died young. 7.
Seth, born May 17, 10G8, settled in Milford. 8.
Joseph, born May 17, 1670, noted Indian fighter. 9.
Henry, born February 15, 1672, died young. 10.
Ephraim, born December 18, 1673, settled in Ux-
bridge. 11. Deborah, born February 12, 1675, set-
tled in Mendon. Children of Josiah and Lydia
(Brown) Chapin: 12. Lydia, born Braintree, Sep-
tember 29, 1677. J 3- Sarah, born March 12, 1679.
14. David, born November 11, 1680, died young. 15.
Hannah, born Mendon, November 11, 1684.

(Ill) Captain Seth Chapin, son of Josiah Chapin
(2), born in Braintree, August 4, 166S; married first,
Mary Read, May 23, 1689. She died without issue,
September 12, 1689. He married (second) Bethiah
Thurston, March 25, 1691. She died March 2,
1744; he died April, 1746. His homestead was near
the Post Lane bridge on Mill river, where he was
living before May 26, 1700. In 1713 he and his
wife gave land to their son Seth at South Hope-
dale, as it is now known. In 1715 they moved to
Mendon, and lived with his father Josiah in his old
age. Seth Chapin was a captain in the militia. He
died at the age of seventy-eight, one of the most

Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 64 of 133)