Ellery Bicknell Crane.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) online

. (page 67 of 133)
Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 67 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


master's degree from Harvard in 1892. Melissa B.
George completed her art education with three
years' study in Berlin, Germany, and was for two
years a teacher at Wellesley College and for five
years a teacher in Depauw University, Indiana.
Herbert J. George was educated at Philips Exeter
Academy and at Harvard College, was for six years
engaged in business in Boston, but later became
associated with his father in placing upon the mar-
ket the "Miscoe Spring Water" with office in Bos-
ton.

(VIII) Julius A. George, son of Nathan and
Caroline (Thayer) George, and a brother of Nathan
R. George, was born in Mendon, Massachusetts,
June 30, 1841. He was educated in the public
schools of his native town, at Leicester and Wil-
braham Academies, and at the Lawrence Scientific
School of Harvard University. Being thus well
equipped for the business of life, whether mer-
cantile, scientific or financial, and having confidence
in his ability to make proper use of the knowledge
thus acquired, it is not surprising that Mr. George
should have been successful in whatever vocation
he has turned his hand to. In 1863 he. with his
brother Nathan R. George, began the manufacture
of boots in his native town, making a specialty
of this branch of the trade, and continuing in it,
after succeeding to his brother's interest in 1868,
until 1879, when the wearing of boots was prac-
tically pushed aside by the almost universal use of
shoes. In 1875 he, with prominent citizens of Hope-
dale and Milford, founded the Home National Bank,
Milford, Massachusetts, and he has been a director
of that institution since its organization. He has
been an extensive dealer in real estate, and in the
capacity of justice of the peace has drawn many
deeds and conveyance papers within the last thirty
years.

Mr. George has served the town as a selectman,
and has been moderator of all its town meetings,
with few exceptions, since 1863. and at the time of



228



WORCESTER COUNTY



the dedication of the Soldiers' Monument presented
to the town of Mendon in October, 1891, he, as
chairman of the board of selectmen, in an appro-
priate speech accepted the gift in behalf of the
town. He has served as president of the Mendon
Historical Society, and trustee of the Taft Public
Library. He was also selected to be the agent of
the town of Mendon in its endeavor to prevent the
taking of the water of Lake Nipmuck by the town
of Uxbridge for a water supply. Had the waters
of this lake been thus diverted, Mendon would have
experienced a great loss, not only by a large amount
of taxable property, but by a favorable opportunity
for growth and general advancement. The preserva-
tion of this lake for the public use induced the
officials of the Milford and Uxbridge Street Rail-
way Company to construct their road directly by
this lake, which with the surrounding land, is now
being used for park and pleasure purposes. This
railway, besides being of great value to Mendon
in other ways, has increased its valuation many thou-
sands of dollars. Mr. George is a member of the
First Parish in Mendon, and has been its clerk
since 1879. He is possessed of great natural and
• acquired executive ability, the influence of which
has often been felt when matters of public in-
terest were to be considered.

Mr. George married, in 1863, Abbie F., daughter
of Samuel and Annie (Gaskill) Verry, of Black-
stone, Massachusetts. Mrs. George died Septem-
ber 24, 1902, leaving no children.

SAMUEL W. WOOD. Thomas Wood, immi-
grant ancestor of Samuel W. Wood, of Mendon,
Massachusetts, was born in England in 1635, and
was at Rowley, Massachusetts, as early as April
7. 1654. He married Ann Hunt of Ipswich. Not
much appears on the records about Thomas Wood.
He held a good social position evidently, although
he had a falling out on matters relating to the
church with the minister, Rev. Samuel Phillips.
He died September 12, 1687, and his widow died
December 29, 1714. Their children, all born at Row-
ley, were: I. Mary, born January 15, 1655. 2.
John, born September 2, 1656, married Isabel Hazen.

3. Thomas, born August 10, 1658, married Mary
Hunt, probably of Ipswich: died December, 1702.

4. Ann or Mary Ann, born August 8, 1660; married
Benjamin Plummer. 5. Ruth, born May 21, 1662;
married Captain Joseph Jewett ; second John Lunt.
6. Josiah (twin), born September 5, 1664; married
Sarah Ellithorp ; second Mary Felt. 7. Elizabeth
(twin), born September 5, 1664. 8. Samuel, born
December 26, 1666, married Mary Ellithorp. 9.
Solomon, mentioned below. 10. Ebenezer, born De-
cember 29, 1671, married Rachel Nichols. II.
James, born June 22, 1674, died October 18, 1694.

(II) Solomon Wood, ninth child of Thomas
Wood (1). was born at Rowley, now Bradford,
Massachusetts, May 17. 1669. He was one of the
early settlers in the old town of Mendon, in Wor-
cester county, and his sons held offices and were all
prominent citizens in that part of Mendon that was
set off as Uxbridge. He died at what is now Ux-
bridge, January 73, 1752, aged eighty-three. He
married Mary Hazeltine. who died February 21,
1749. Their children, nearly all horn in Bradford,
were: I. David, born July 31, 1691. 2. Dorcas,
born October 3, 1693. 3. Joshua, born October 4,
1698, married Elizabeth . 4. Mary, born Sep-
tember 11. 1700. 5. Solomon, born July 14, 1702,
married Faithful Keith. 6. James, born December
20. 1704. 7. Ezekiel, born November 11. 1706. died
in Uxbridge May 16, 1772, married Mary Brown
March 25, 1732. 8. Obadiah, mentioned below. 9.



Daniel, married Sarah Peabody May 18, 1736. 10.

Betsey, born — , married Obadiah Wood, her

cousin, for his second wife.

(III) Obadiah Wood, eighth child of Solomon
Wood (2). was born in Bradford, May 28, 1709.
He settled in LIxbridge. and became one of the lead-
ing citizens of the town. His brother Solomon was
the first town clerk of Uxbridge. He married
Esther Hayward. He died August 16, 1792, intestate,
and his widow Esther administered the estate, giv-
ing her bond under date of November 25, 1793.
Children were: Warfield, born and died 1733-4;
Eliza, born August 4, 1735, died 181 1 ; Obediah,
born May 9, 1737, married Experience Hayward;
Sarah, born August 18, 1739, married Benjamin
Fish; Esther, born August 11, 1741, married De-
pendence Haywood; Solomon, mentioned below;
David, born August 11, 1748.

(IV) Solomon Wood, son of Obadiah Wood
1 ?) was born at Uxbridge May 25, 1744, was a
soldier in the wor of the revolution, and died in
L'xbridge in the fall of 1820. His will was dated
October 13, 1820. He married Hannah, daughter of
John Fish. His children were: 1. Benjamin. 2.
Silvia. 3. John. 4. Phinehas, settled in Vermont.
5. Obadiah. mentioned below. 6. Susannah, mar-
ried Bill. 7. Betsey. 8. Hannah.

(V) Obadiah Wood, son of Solomon Wood (4),
was born in Uxbridge, Massachusetts, March 16,
1773. He married Alcy, daughter of Israel Mowry,
of Rhode Island. The early life of Mr. Wood
was spent as a farmer in the towns of Uxbridge
and Mendon. He then learned the wood-working
trade and engaged in the manufacture of chairs and
spinning wheels. After the establishing of fac-
tories along the streams and the use of power in
making furniture, he went to work for various
shops in the wood working business. It is claimed
that he was the first bobbin maker in this country.
His business grew to extensive proportions, and he
had orders from the South American countries
and other distant points. He established a large and
prosperous industry in making bobbins.

While a resident of the town of Mendon he
filled successively all the town offices. He repre-
sented the town in the general court in 1835 and
1836. While a member of the legislature he in-
troduced a bill to reduce the membership of the
house of representatives and the bill became a law.
He served at one time as director for the Common-
wealth on the Boston & Albany Railroad. In poli-
tics he was originally a Jacksonian Democrat, but
with the organization of the Republican party and
the culmination of the struggle against the slave
power he decided to join the Republican party,
and remained in substantial agreement with its
policies the last few years of his life, but he never
saw the triumph of the new party at the polls.
He was largely a self-educated man, well read, and
holding well-considered but firm opinions on mat-
ters of public policy. He was a skillful mechanic
and sagacious business man, to whom is due much
of the credit for the early industrial progress in the
Blackstone Valley. He was a member of the So-
ciety of Friends. He died July 29, 1852, at the age
of seventy-nine years. The children of Obadiah
and Alcy Wood, eight of whom were living when
the father's will was made, January 7, 1850, were:
Lewis, Obadiah. Watte, Mary, Harriet. Hannah,
Perry, mentioned below ; Austin : a child, died
voung.

(VI) Perry Wood, son of Obadiah Wood (5),
was born on the old homestead, Mendon, Massa-
chusetts. November 2. 1813. He was a prosperous
fanner and bridge builder of note in his day. He




CURTIS HARRINGTON



WORCESTER COUNTY



229



was a man of ability and took a leading part in town
affairs. He was a Republican in politics. He mar-
ried first, Caroline Staples, by whom he had nine
children. He married (second) April 17, 1872,
Eliza, daughter of Chester Walker, and widow of
John Stoddard of Upton, Massachusetts. She sur-
vives him and is living on the homestead at Men-
don. He died February 15, 1890. Children of
Perry and Caroline Wood: 1. Waitee E., married

Taft. 2. William P., mentioned below. 3.

Henry A., was employed by the Swift Dressed Beef
Company at Philadelphia, where he recently died.

4. Mary A., married Alber Shippee. and resides in
Holliston, Massachusetts. 5. Obadiah A, lives in
Upton, Massachusetts. 6. Hattie E., married Liberty
Freeman and resides in Mendon. 7. Joseph H.,
lawyer, died at Milford, Massachusetts, in 1890. 8.
Carrie, married Thomas Harper, of Upton. 9. Frank
H„ resides at Mendon. Children of Perry and Eliza
W. Wood: 10. Nancy C, a school teacher. 11.
Samuel Walker, mentioned below.

(VII) William P. Wood, son of Perry Wood
(6). was born in Mendon, May 2, 1838. He had a

common school education there, and when a young
man bought the "Ora Wood" farm in the southern
part of the town, and conducted it for some years.
He ran an express between Upton and Worcester;
was in the lumber business : and has been a con-
tractor and manufacturer. He is a Free Mason,
a member of Blackstone River Lodge. He married,
November 25, 1863, Adeline S. Walker, daughter
of Chester Walker, and sister of his father's second
wife. Mr. Walker was one of the largest land
owners in Upton, and did considerable business
as a lumberman. He was a leader in town and
church affairs, and a znember of the Congregation-
alist church. Children of William P. and Adeline

5. Wood: 1. Perry, a lumber manufacturer, mar-
ried Hattie Clark, of Upton, and they have two
children, William Perry. Ada Malora. 2. Chester
Walker, manager of Swift & Company, of Chicago,
at New Brunswick, New Jersey; married Emmer-
anzer Klemmer of Trenton, New Jersey, and they
have two children, Frances, Walter Klemmer. 3.
Benjamin Claflin, associated with his brother Perry
in the lumber business. 4. Mary Josephine.

(VIII) Samuel Walker Wood, son of Perry
Wood (7), was born in Mendon, Massachusetts,
March 23, 1875. He received his education in the
public schools, and after the death of his father
took the management of the home farm, which he
has carried on successfully. He resides with his
mother. In politics he is a Republican. He is a
member of the Grange.

CURTIS HARRINGTON. Robert Harrington
(1), the immigrant ancestor of Curtis Harrington,
of Westboro, Massachusetts, was an early settler
in Watertown. His name was first on the list of
proprietors of that town under date of 1642 and
1644. He took the path of fidelity in 1652 and was
admitted a freeman May 27, 1663. He was select-
man of Watertown for fifteen years and one of the
foremost men of his day. He is the progenitor of
all the early families of this surname in New Eng-
land. He owned a mill and much land in Water-
town. He died May 17, 1707, aged ninety-one years,
making his date of birth 1616. He came from Eng-
land undoubtedly and the English pronunciation of
the name is shown by the frequent spelling "Erring
ton" and "Arrington" found in the old archives.
His will names sons- — John, Daniel. Benjamin, Sam-
uel, Thomas, Edward : daughters Susanna Beers,
Mary Bemis, Sarah Winship, Joanna Ward, late
wife of his son Joseph, and her son Joseph. The



list indicates those living in 1703 and indicates the
size of his family. He bequeathed 642^ acres of
land. He owned the Oldham farm of 250 acres.

He married, October 1, 1647, Susanna George,
born in 1632, died July 6, 1694. She was married
at the age of sixteen. Their children were: Susan-
nah, born at Watertown, August 18, 1648, married,
February 9, 1671, John Cutting; John, born Au-
gust 24, 1651, died August 24, 1741 ; Robert, born
August 31, 1653, probably died young; George, born
November 24, 1655, married Captain Wadsworth,
who was killed by the Indians, February, 1675-76;
Daniel, born November 1, 1657, admitted freeman
April iS, 1690, died April 19, 1728; Joseph, born
December 28, 1659; Benjamin, born January 26,
1661-62, died 1724 ; Mary, born January 12, 1663-64,
married John Bemis ; Thomas, born April 20, 1665,
admitted freeman April 18, 1690; Samuel, born De-
cember 18, 1666; Edward, born March 2, 1668-69,
of whom later ; Sarah, born March 10, 1670-71 ;
David, born June 1, 1673, died March n, 1675.

(II) Edward Harrington, son of Robert Har-
rington (i), was born in Watertown, Massachu-
setts, March 2, 1668-69. He settled in Watertown
also. He married (first), March 30, 1692, Mary
Ocington ; (second), May 24, 1727, Anna Bullard,
widow of Jonathan. Children of Edward and Mary
Harrington were : Mary, born January 3, 1692-93,
married, December 7, 1710, Daniel Rogers; Will-
iam, born November 11, 1694, died February 27,
1751-52; Mindwell, born June 19, 1697, died Octo-
ber 14, 1700; Joanna, born August 16, 1699, married,
May 25, 1720, John Tainter ; Edward, born June
17. 1702, died December 6, 1792; Samuel, born Au-
gust 3, 1704, of whom later; Nathaniel, born June
25, 1706, graduate of Harvard College, 1728, called
"Master Harrington," meaning school-master ; Fran-
cis, born June 11, 1709, married, November 16, 1736,
Prudence Stearns ; removed to Grafton, then to
Worcester, where she died 1752; he married (sec-
ond) Deborah , who died April 20, 1799, aged

eighty-four years; he died July 18, 1793, aged eighty-
four; his son Francis was -ancestor of many Wor-
cester— fomrrres : Susanna, born September 9. 1711,
married, November 25, 1731, Samuel Barnard.

(III) Samuel Harrington, son of Edward Har-
rington (2), was born in Watertown, Massachu-
setts, August 3, 1704. He was prominent in public
affairs and in the army. He had the rank of lieuten-
ant and served against the French and Indians. He
lived at Waltham, formerly Watertown, until 1739,
when he settled in Westboro, Massachusetts. When
the new meeting house there was seated he was al-
lowed to buy the second pew on the right hand of
the front door, showing him to be one of the chief
men of the town. He died at Westboro. He mar-
ried (first), October iq, 1675, Sarah Warren, daugh-
ter of Deacon John Warren, of Weston, a descend-
ant of John Warren, the pioneer of the Warren fam-
ily at Watertown, who came from England in 1630.
Sarah was born June 25, 1705. Samuel Harring-
ton married (second), June 16, 1736. Mrs. Eliza-
beth Stratton, widow, who died April 8, 1801. Chil-
dren of Samuel and Sarah Harrington were : Sam-
uel, born at W_ai£xtown, baptized at Waltham, May
10. 1728; Mary, baptized at Waltham, May 19, 1728;
Thankful, born at Westboro, June 24, 1730; Sam-
uel, born at Westboro, May 15, 1732. Children of
Samuel and Elizabeth, all born at Westboro, were:
Joseph, born March 26. 1738, married, 1764, Ruth
Merriam, had eight children ; Sarah, born Decem-
ber 17, 1741 ; Marah (Mary), born July 2. 1744,
admitted church December 22. 1771 : Elizabeth, born
Anril 20, I7J7; Eli. born September 24. 1749. ad-
mitted to full communion April 24, 1771 ; Lydia,



230



WORCESTER COUNTY



born April 24, 1754: Persis, born April 21, 1757;
Benjamin, born August 18, 1761, of whom later.

1 IV > Benjamin Harrington, son of Lieutenant
Samuel Harrington (3), was born at Westboro,
Massachusetts, August 18, 1761, and died at West-
boro, Massachusetts, October 9, 1820. He was a
farmer throughout his active life at the old home-
stead, and was one of the substantial men of his
day. He married (first) (published January 30),
1789, Anna Chamberlain, daughter of Edmund and
Ruth Chamberlain; she was born May 9, 1769. (See
sketch of Chamberlain family of Westboro for pedi-
gree). They were married in Southboro, the town
adjoining Westboro. Children of Benjamin and
Anna Harrington were: Dana, born February 25,
1700. at Westboro ; Eli, June 6, 1791 ; Hollis. Febru-
ary 17. 1703; Anna. October II, 1795; Edmund,
September 5, 1797; Susannah, June 12, 1799; Sam-
uel Austin, March 16. 1S01. of whom later; Han-
nah, January S. 1803, died May. 1845: Curtis, March'
21, 180= died April 6, 1826; Edmund, October 10,
1807.

(V) Samuel Austin Harrington, son of Benja-
min Harrington (4), was born March 11, 1801, on
the old Harrington homestead at Westboro. Massa-
chusetts. He was educated in the district schools and
trained in the way Xew England farmers trained
their boys in his day, including plenty of hard work
on the farm. He cultivated the farm on which his
only surviving son now lives and kept it in ex-
cellent condition. The opening of the Boston &
Worcester Railroad during his life made a material
change in the business of farming and of getting
farm products to market. It brought the markets
nearer to the producer, and later the railroads to the
western prairies brought more trying conditions with
which the Worcester county farmer had to grapple.
The progressive men seemed to have profited while
the conservative farmers lost at every change in
agriculture. Mr. Harrington was one of the suc-
cessful farmers. He married (intentions dated De-
cember 10). 1829. Catherine Warren. Their chil-
dren were all born in Westboro, viz. : Charles Aus-
tin, born June 16, 1831. deceased; Curtis, born Jan-
uary 6. 1835, of whom later; Catherine.

(VFl Curtis Harrington, son of Samuel Austin
Harrineton (5), was born in Westboro, Massachu-
setts. January 6, 1835. He has the almost unique
distinction of being in the sixth generation from
an immigrant of the days of the first pioneers,
while most men of this stock of his age are in the
eighth or ninth generation. Lacking but ten years
of three centuries, those six generations have
spanned. Robert Harrington was born in England
in i6t6. Against this record of six generations, to
which the author has found but one parallel in a
thousand or more pedigrees that he has written,
that of the Garfield family of Fitchburg, descended
from another Watertown pioneer, the progenitor
as well of President Garfield's family, one other case
is known to him where there are living six genera-
tions of the same family, not lineally connected,
however.

Curtis Harrington attended the public schools
of his native town and worked on the farm of his
father during his youth. After his father's death he
succeeded to the estate, as the only surviving son. and
has carried it on most successfully. He has a model
farm in many respects. He is a progressive and
energetic man. and has lived an active an useful
life. Mr. Harrinsrton is a Congregationalist in re-
licion and 1 Republican in politics. He is a member
of the Westborough Lodge of Odd Fellows. He
married. 1878. Mrs. Harriet P. (Fosgate) Eager,
daughter of Mendela G. Fosgate, of Fitchburg, and



widow of William Eager. (See sketch of the Fos-
gate family of Fitchburg.) The only child of
Curtis and Harriet Harrington is Robert C.
Chamberlain, born June 14, 1881, single.

STOW FAMILY. John Stow (1) was the emi-
grant ancestor of Silas E. Stow and Louis A. Stow,
of Grafton, Massachusetts. He came to New Eng-
land in one of John Winthrop's companies with his
wife Elizabeth and six children and settled in Rox-
bury, Massachusetts. He arrived May 17, 1634, and
during the same year was admitted a freeman. In
1638 he was admitted a member of the Ancient and
Honorable Artillery company. He was a deputy to
the general court in 1639. His wife died in 1638 and
was buried August _'4. 1638. She was a daughter of
Mrs. Rachel Biggs, who came in 1635 to Dorchester
with her daughter Foster. The Stow children re-
ceived valuable legacies from their uncles, John and
Smallhope Biggs, of Cranbrook and Maidstone,
Kent, in England. Children of John and Elizabeth
(Biggs) Stow, all born in England, were: Thomas,
see forward; Elizabeth, married Henry Archer;
John; Nathaniel, born 1622, settled at Ipswich; Sam-
uel (H. C. 1645), minister at Middleton, Connecti-
cut; Thankful, married John Pierpoint.

(II) Thomas Stow, eldest son of John Stow
11), was in Concord with his father before 1640.
He and his brother Nathaniel owned six hundred
acres of land between Fairhaven pond and the Sud-
bury line. Thomas sold his rights there in 1660 to
Thomas Gobble and David Dan, having removed to
Connecticut about 1650. He lived in Middleton,
then part of Hartford, Connecticut. Children of
Thomas were : Samuel, see forward ; Nathaniel ;
Thomas, born 1650, settled in Middletown, Con-
necticut.

(III) Samuel Stow, eldest son of Thomas Stow
(2), was born in Concord, Massachusetts, in 1645.
He returned to Massachusetts and located before
1684, and probably soon after the Narragansett war
in Marlboro, where he bought of Waban and James
Atchult, two Indians of Natick, Massachusetts, a
farm of twenty acres. He paid the native, six
pounds for the land, half corn, half money.
He became one of the proprietors of the Ockoo-
cangansett plantations purchased of the Indians.
He was a prominent man among the proprietors
and in the town affairs. He was a soldier in
King Philip's war and is believed to have been

in Marlboro in 1677. He married Elizabeth ,

and they are the ancestors of the Stow families in
Marlboro and vicinity. She died June, 1737, and he
died February 9, 1721. Children of Samuel and
Elizabeth Stow, born in Marlboro, Massachusetts,
were : Samuel, see forward ; Thomas, born Decem-
ber 27, 1682; Mary, July 18, 1685; Thankful, Octo-
ber 8, 1687; Rachel, February 21, 1690; John, March
30, 1696.

(IV) Samuel Stow, eldest son of Samuel Stow
(3). was born in Marlboro, Massachusetts, May 2,
1680. He married, December 19, 1704, Sarah Snow.
She died February 20, 1762. He died February 13,
1768. He and his good wife lived together on the
old farm in Marlboro for the space of fifty-eight
years. Their children, all born in Marlboro, were :
Abner, see forward; Jonathan, born October 9, 1708;
Thankful, April 30, 171 1; Solomon; October 10, 1714;
Sarah, March 22, 1717; M?ry, August 11, 1719;
Simon. May 19, 1722.

(V) Abner Stow, eldest son of Samuel Stow
(4), was born in Marlboro, Massachusetts, Novem-
ber 29, 1705. His father was one of the original
proprietors of the town of Grafton, and from 1728
to about 1736 appears to have been in Grafton. His



WORCESTER COUNTY



2 3 l



brother, Thomas Stow, uncle of Abner Stow, was
also one of the first settlers. Samuel Stow appears
in the Indian deed as grantee under date of May
10, 1728. In 1732 Samuel was collector in Grafton,
in 1734 on a school committee and 1736 a highway
commissioner. He had a pew in the Grafton church
in 1732. Abner Stow was virtually the original set-
tler in Grafton. His father gave him his farm on
George hill where, about 1734, he built himself a
log hut, very near the present location of the house
of his descendant, Silas E. Stow. Abner Stow built
a frame house in front of the log hut in 1735. The
farm has descended in direct line, as given here-
with, to Silas E. Stow. His father, Jonathan \\\,
built the barn now on the place a building forty
by one hundred and seven feet with an ell twenty-
six by forty-eight feet. In 1832 he also built a shoe
shop on the opposite side of the road. The shop
was finished in 1836 for a dwelling for the farm
help, but has since been removed.

Abner Stow was proprietors' clerk in 1727, and
his name is on the petition for the church at Grafton.



Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 67 of 133)