Ellery Bicknell Crane.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) online

. (page 7 of 133)
Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 7 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1 McFarland) Phelps, of Hopkinton, Massachusetts.
Mr. Phelps was a merchant and manufacturer. Mr.
and Mrs. Knight have one child, Henry Rockwood
Knight, born January 9, 1886, who is at present
connected with the New England Telephone &
Telegraph Company.

EDWIN HOWE. John How (i), the immi-
grant ancestor of Edwin Howe, of Worcester, was
born in England. He was an early settler in Sud-
bury, Massachusetts, and was admitted a freeman
May 13, 1640. He was a town officer in Marl-
boro in 1657, the year he removed to Marlboro,
where he was one of the first proprietors. He peti-
tioned to be excused from training, September 30,
[662, as he "was aged, thick of hearing and main-
tained three soldiers in his family." He was a

selectman of Marlboro. He married Mary .

Their children, born at Sudbury and Marlboro,
were: John, born August 24, 1640; Samuel, Octo-
ber 20, 1642; Isaac, August. 8, 1648; Mary, 1646,
died 1647 ; Mary, January 18, 1653-4 ! Josiah, see
forward; Thomas, born 1656; Daniel, born 1658,
died at Marlboro. John How died May 28, 1680.
His will was dated May 24, and proved June 15,
1680. He bequeathed to wife Mary ; children, Sam-
uel, Isaac, Thomas, Eleazer, Sarah Ward, Mary
Witherby : grandchild John, son of John.

(II) Josiah How, son of John How (1), was
born in Sudbury, Massachusetts, August 24, 1640.
He married Mary Haynes, daughter of Deacon
John Haynes, of Sudbury, May 18, 1671-7-2. She
married (second) John Prescott. Josiah was in
Marlborough in 1675 and helped defend the inhabi-
tants during the opening of King Philip's war.
Their children: Mary, born 1672, died young;
Mary, born May 4, 1674, died young; Josiah,
married Sarah Bigelow, December 14, 1706; Cap-
tain Daniel, born May S> 1681. see forward ; Ruth,
born January 6, 1684, married Bowker.

(III) Captain Daniel How, son of Josiah How
(2), was born in Marlborough, Massachusetts, May
5, 1681, died there November 22, 1768, aged eighty-
seven years and six months. He was admitted to
the church July 16, 1758, when more than seventy
years old. He married, June 17, 1725, Esther Cloyes,
of Framingham, Massachusetts. She died July 27,
1758. Their children, all born at Marlborough,
were: Daniel, baptized April 16, 1727, married
Eunice Taylor; Jotham, born October 29, 1728, mar-
ried Priscilla Rice ; Nathan, born June 17, 1730,
see forward; Gideon, born March 15, 1732, married
Damaris Hapgood ; Lucy, born May 6, 1736, married,
1758, Daniel Smith; Mary, born December II, 1738,
married, 1758, Dr. Edward Flint; William, born
February 14, 1734, was soldier in the revolution,
died unmarried March 23, 1813, aged seventy-nine
years.

(IV) Captain Nathan How, son of Captain
Daniel How (3), was born in Marlborough, June
17, 1730. He was an officer in the service during
the French and Indian war at Lake George and
aided in the building of Fort William Henry. He
commanded a company in the revolution in Colonel
Whitney's regiment. He assisted in throwing up
the defenses on Dorchester Heights in the night,
and caught a cold that finally caused his death. He
settled in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts. He married



22



WORCESTER COUNTY



(first) Hepzibah Taylor, daughter of William Tay-
lor, November 10, 1748, died June 17, 1770, aged
thirty-seven. He married (second) Zillali Taylor,
daughter of Eleazer Taylor. He died March 21,
17.X1, aged fifty-nine years, nine months. She mar-
ried (second) Jonas Temple, of Boylston, March I,
1789. Children of Nathan and Hepsibah How, born
in Shrewsbury, were: Lois, born March 2, 1749, mar-
ried Rev. Edward Goddard, of Swanzey, New
Hampshire, November. 4, 1769; Daniel, born Feb-
ruary 6, 175-'; Candace, born December 8, 1754. mar-
ried, July 20, 1772, Simeon Allen, of Princeton;
Vashti, born January 13, 1757, married, 1775, Jon-
athan Hubbard; Nathan, born October 12, 1702;
Amasa, born November 24, 1766, married Sarah
Pierce, September 4, 1786. Children of Nathan and
Zillah How: Hiram, born July 16, 1775, see for-
ward; Joel, born January 19, 1779; married

Pierce, of Boylston, died 1843.

(V) Hiram How, son of Captain Nathan How
(4), born in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts, July 16,
1775. died 1829, aged fifty-four years. He was
proprietor of a farm in the north part of the town
of Shrewsbury, later West Boylston, on the old
road leading to Sterling, where he resided at the
time of his death. The house has been burned, the
farm sold off in parcels and no longer has a family
residence there. The homestead was in Boylston
(north district of Shrewsbury) until the town of
West Boylston was set off. He bought fifty-six
acres of Amos Child in the West parish of Boylston,
October 15. 1800. From time to time he bought
other parcels of land in West Boylston. He mar-
ried Olive Harthan, of Boylston, at>Boylston. She
was the daughter of David Harthan ; she died 1852,
aged seventy-eight years. Their children: 1. Bar-
ney, born at Boylston, March 16, 1800. 2. Polly,
born November 20, 1801, at Boylston, married Isaac
Knight. 3. Nathan, born at West Boylston, May 8,
1803, see forward. 4. Harriet, married Charles F.
Paddock, of Holden, Massachusetts, July 20, 1840.
She had four children, Harriet Annie, Charles
Francis, Olive Ella, died in infancy, and William
Frederic. Charles Paddock went to Kansas in 1855
as an Anti-slavery settler and died there. Harriet
(Howe) Paddock died in Holden, March 1, 1875.
Harriet Annie Paddock married George Rich, in
1871, and lives in Worcester. She has one daugh-
ter, Georgia Anna, who was married to Adelbert
Teague in 1S97, and resides in Boston. Charles
Francis Paddock, Jr., enlisted in the Fifty-seventh
Massachusetts Volunteer Militia, at the age of
fifteen; was in the battles of the Wilderness, Spott-
sylvania and others, and at the battle of Petersburg
he was badly wounded and fell into the hands of
the Confederates and was taken to Libby prison :
finally paroled and was sent to a military hospital
in Chester, Pennsylvania, where he remained till
the close of the war, He married Etta Bacon, of
Uxbridge. Massachusetts, in 1880, and lived in that
town till his death in 1902. He left four children —
Clifford, Arthur, Francis and Harriet. William
Frederic Paddock settled in Amity, Missouri. He
married Dolly Carmichael, of that place, and died
1882. He left one son, William Frederic, who was
educated in Helena, Montana, and is now located in
Seattle, Washington, where he holds a position of
trust in the city government. 5. Sally, married El-
mer Shaw, of Boylston, and lived in that town until
her death. She left three sons, Elmer, Henry, and
Thomas, all now deceased. Elmer married and left
four children, all married and with families. Henry
married and left one daughter, single. Thomas never
married o. ( line. 7. Joel.

(VI) Nathan Howe, son of Hiram How (5),



born at West Boylston, Massachusetts, May S„
1803. He received his education in the public schools,
of his native town, working in his youth for John
Temple, the most prosperous farmer of his day. He
learned the trade of clothier or fuller, the finishing;
of cloth that was made on hand looms by the
farmers' wives of the vicinity before the day of
power looms and woolen mills. He followed this,
business for several years until he had a hand
badly injured in the cards in his shop. Later he came
to Holden and became superintendent of James-
Lee's mill at Unionville, where he remained a num-
ber of years. In this mill the first cotton cloth was.
made that went around the Cape of Good Hope
from America. About 1840 Mr. Howe entered,
partnership with Colonel Samuel Damon, of Quina-
poxet, and they were in business about six years. He
finally turned to farming. He conducted a place
at lirooks Station in Princeton, Massachusetts, for
two years, then bought of Eli Goulding a farm and
saw null in Holden. In the mill he turned out
rough and dressed lumber, shingles and lath. While
working in his mill he was caught in a belt and
both legs badly broken; one had to be amputated.
The accident happened in August, 1857. He con-
ducted the mill until his death, however, February 4,.
1873. Mr. Howe was a man of much native ability,,
of excellent judgment and common sense. In religiort
he was an earnest Adventist and was prominent in
the society in H°Men. He took a prominent part
in politics and town affairs. He was on the board
of assessors, a selectman of the town, and repre-
sented his district in the general court. Originally a.
Whig, he became a Republican when that party was-
formed.

He married, April 17, 1833, Abigail Bailey How,
born at Holden, September 7, 1810, died there De-
cember 14, 1858. She was the daughter of Jasper
and Nancy (Wilson) How. Jasper How was born
April 24, 1790, married, November 23, 1809, died
November 2, 1826. Children of Nathan and Abigail
Bailey Howe were: Edwin, born March 28, 1S34,
see forward; Hiram, born at Holden, July 30, 1836,.
resident of Holden, veteran of the civil war, served
under General Butler; he married Eliza Cleveland,,
of Northborough ; Sarah, born at Holden, November
14, 1838, died at Westborough, February 19, 1873;
married Emerson B. Wilson, born at Holden, Au-
gust 20, 1820, died 1906 at West- Brookfield; Ade-
line, born at Holden, December 22, 1840; Nathan,,
born February 13, 1847, manager of the Glasgow-
Thread Company many years; Harriet, born March
1, 1849, a nurse by profession; Martha, born June
13, 1853, died at Holden, December 16, 1905, school
teacher.

(YII) Edwin Howe, son of Nathan Howe (6),.
was born at Holden, Massachusetts, March 28. 1834.
Mi was educated in the common schools of Hol-
den and in what was known as the select school.
I h began to help his father in the mill when twelve
years of age, worked out of school hours with his
father and continued in the mill after his school
days and for .some years after he attained his ma-
jority. He left home to take charge of the saw-
mill and grist mill of Ira Broad. After eight
years there he entered the employ of Russ &
Eddy, Bridge street, Worcester, manufacturers of
picture frames and moldings, where he remained
for another eight years. Then he bought his father's,
homestead at Holden of John W. Howe, who became
the owner after his father's death. He bought also.
the saw mill and shoddy mill and conducted them>
for two years, when they were completely destroyed
by fire. March I, 1880. He rebuilt the mills on the
same site, building the shoddy mill of stone, and the



WORCESTER COUNTY



23



business continued unde the firm name of Howe &
Pickles. .Mr. Howe's partner was William H.
Pickles. About 1888 the firm was dissolved and
Mr. Howe took up farming in 1889 on the Noyes
place,' Pleasant street, Worcester, for a year, and
on the .Muzzy farm, Salisbury street, the following
year. In 1890 he came to his present farm of one
hundred and twenty-live acres, known as the old
Marshall Flagg place, on Richmond avenue,
Worcester. Here Mr, Howe has an excellent dairy,
having some forty cows to supply his customers in
Worcester. He has taken many contracts lor grad-
ing and excavating in Worcester.

He attends the Baptist church. In politics he is
a Republican and lias served his party as delegate to
various representative conventions. He is a prom-
inent Free Mason, becoming a manlier of Morning
Star Lodge, April 18, 1899; of Eureka Chapter,
Royal Arch Masons, June 6, 1809; of Hiram Council,
Royal and Select Masters, March 1, 1900; of Worces-
ter County Commandery, Knights Templar. June
14. 1900. He is a member of the Worcester Agri-
cultural Society. He was a member of the military
company at Oakdale in the fifties and later of the
Holden Rifles. Mr. Howe is a man of integrity
and enjoys the confidence of all who know him. He
has a happy, sunny disposition and particularly en-
joys a good joke. He is fond of fishing and is well
known among the older sportsmen of this section.

He "married. April 7, 1858, Elizabeth Clarissa
Brown, born December 12, 1838, daughter of Allen
and Mary ( Stearns ) Brown, of Holden. Then-
children : Edward Ellsworth, born September 1,
1861, married Nellie Stone, of Holden; Mabel, born
in Worcester, July 27, 1864, died April 25, 1899;
Abbie Crace, born August 18, i860; Cora Blanche,
born October 13, 1808, married Albert E. Wood-
ward, of Worcester; she died December 20, 1893.

GEORGE PAINE ROGERS. Thomas Rogers
(i), the Pilgrim, was the emigrant ancestor of
George Paine Rogers, of Worcester, Massachusetts.
He came in the "Mayflower" from Leyden, Holland,
to Plymouth, in 1620, bringing with him his son
Joseph. His other children came afterwards. He
died in the first sickness at Plymouth, but his son
Joseph was married and had in 1650 six children.
In that same year the remainder of his children
were married and had many children according to
the Bradford History. Among his children were :
1. Joseph. 2. John, weaver and planter, of Dux-
bury, Massachusetts, taxed there in 1032 and ad-
mitted a freeman on March 1, 1641-2; town officer,
commissioner of jurors; married, April 16, 1639,
Ann Churchman; lived at Scituate about 1647; re-
moved to Marshfield, where he died; 'will dated
February 1, 1660, and proved June 5, 1661 ; wife
Frances. 3. William. 4. Noah.

(II) Lieutenant Joseph Rogers, son of Thomas
Rogers (1), was born in Leyden or England, came
in the "Mayflower" with his father to Plymouth.
He was married and had six children in 1650. He
had lands assigned to him in 1623 and was made
a freeman in 1633. He removed to Duxbury, Massa-
chusetts. He was given permission by the colony
to keep a ferry over Junes river near his house,
March 2, 1635-6. He and his brother John had a
grant of land April 6, 1640. He removed to East-
ham. Massachusetts. He was appointed lieutenant
of the military company at Nawsett in 1647. 1 1 is
will is dated January 2, 1677-8 and probated March
5th of that year. He bequeathed to his sons, Thomas.
John and James, daughters Elizabeth Higgins and
Hannah Rogers, and to his wife. He gave Beriah
Higgins a share with the children because he had



lived with him a great while, etc. His children
were: Sarah, born Augusl 6, 1633, died , mng;
Joseph, born July 19, 1635, died 1660; Thomas, born
March 29, 1637; Elizabeth, burn September 29, [639;
John. born'April 3, 1642; .Mary, born Septem
22, 1044; James, horn October 18, 1648, married
Mary Paine, in 1670; Hannah, horn August 8, 1052.
(See sketch of Milton P. Higgins for Higgins an-
cestrj )

(III) John Rogers, son of Joseph Rogers (2),
was born in Eastham, April 3, [642. He married at
Eastham, Elizabeth Twining, daughter of William
ruining, of Eastham, who served in the Narra-

gansett campaign in 1645. removed from Yarmouth
to Eastham, was able to hear arms in 1643, and
made a freeman June 3, 1652. He died at
Eastham, April 15, 1659. John Rogers lived in
Eastham. His children were : John, hnm November
4- '677; Judah, born November 23, 1679; Joseph,
born February 22, 11.70; Elizabeth, born r.6
Eleazer, born May 19, [685; Mehitable, born 1687;
Hannah, born 16S9; Natl irn 1693.

(IV) Eleazer Rogers, son of John Rogers (3),)
was hnm in Eastham, Massachusetts, Maj 19, [685.

He married Martha about 1712. The children

of Eleazer and Martha were: Henry, hnm August
19, 1713; Elizabeth, born 1715; Mercy, born 1718;
Moses, horn March 13, 1720; Martha, horn 1723;

Eleazer, born November 15, 1726; Ensign (sic),
born July g, 1720; Daniel, born March 16, 1632.

(V) Moses Rogers, son of Eleazer Rogers 14),
was born in Eastham, .Massachusetts, March 13,
1720. He married Elizabeth Smith, of Chatham,
Massachusetts. He appears to have been a soldier
in the revolution in a Barnstable company. Moses
Rogers, of Sturbridge, Massachusetts, was in Captain
Timothy Park's company, April 19, 1775, ancl re-
sponded to the Lexington alarm. Several of his
children went to Holden to settle after the revo-
lution. Abner and Aaron had large families there.
Moses had fifteen children: Jeru-ha. born Septem-
ber [9, 1749; Martha, born March 25, 1751; Abner,
born November 6, 1752; John, born December 5,
1755; Moses (twin), horn April 16, 1757; Aaron,
born April 16, 1757, (twin) married Hannah Rogers
and moved to Holden, Massachusetts ; Daniel, born
October 30, 1760; Milford, born October 4, 1762;
Betsey-, born August 8, 1764; Elizabeth, bom June
22, 1766; Enos, born February 14, 1768; Mercy, born
September 12, 1769; Mehitable, born February 9,
1771; George, born November 18, 1772; Reuben,
born May 27, 1775.

(VI) Abner Rogers, son of M"s e s Rogers (5),
was born in Eastham, Massachusetts, November 6,
1752. He was a soldier in the revolution, served in
Captain Daniel Grout's company, Colonel John
Rand's regiment, in 1780 after he went to Holden,
Massachusetts, to live. He went there about 1779,
probably with his brother Aaron, as a son was born
in 1783 to Aaron in Holden.

He married Anna Rogers, of Eastham, by whom
he had one daughter. He married (second) Pris-
cilla Paine, and had two children. He married
(third), September 29, 1782, 'Dorothy Nichols
(spelled sometimes Dolla on the records), and had
two children. She died in Worcester, March 19, 1S41,
aged eighty-eight. The child of Abner and Anna
(Rogers) Rogers was: Anna, horn August 2, 1775,

married Allen ; the children of Abner and

Priscilla (Paine) Rogers were: Nathan, born October
26, 1778; Priscilla, born in Holden, December 13,
1781 ; the children of Abner and Dolly (Nichols)
Rogers were: Abner, Jr.. born in Holden, June 21,
17S5; Dolly, born in Holden, March 8, 1791.

(VII) Nathan Rogers, son of Abner Rogers



24



WORCESTER COUNTY



(6), was born probably at Eastham, but removed
when very young to Holden, Massachusetts. He
married Phebe Boynton, April 16, 1801. She died
November II, 1S15, soon ofter the birth of her eighth
child, Phebe. He married (second; Mary Cheney
Moore, of West Boylston, Massachusetts, May 22,
1816. They had one child. She died August 11,
1828, aged forty-eight years, five months. He mar-
ried (third) Sally Blair, of Worcester, (intentions
August 20,) 1829. lie was a farmer at Holden.
The homestead comprised the land of his father.
In 1835 he bought a farm in Worcester. The chil-
dren of Nathan and Phebe (Boynton) Rogers were:
Jeremiah, born December II,. 1801, died January
31, 1870; Nathan, born October 15, 1803, a provision
dealer, who died in middle life leaving two daugh-
ters; Priscilla, died young; Abner, born March 8,
J807, worked in the Osgood Bradley car shops,
Worcester, later was a manufacturer of shovels in
Bridgeport, Connecticut; left two daughters; Susan
Fay, born April 27, 1809, married Stillman Hub-
bard ; William Boynton, born March 22, l8r3, was
a farmer; Elizabeth Smith, born October 22, 1S13,
married Abraham Wilson; Phebe, born October 31,
1815, married Artemas Howe. The child of Nathan
and Mary C. (Moore) Rogers was: Thomas
Moore, born April 10, 1818. The children of Nathan
and Sarah (Blair) Rogers were: Horace Blair,
horn September 28, 1830, (twin), farmer, resides
in Worcester; Maria Stockwell (twin), born Sep-
tember 28, 1830, died December 12, 183 1 ; Sarah
Maria, born October 14, 1S33. All the children of
Nathan Rogers were born in Holden.

(VIII) Thomas Moore Rogers, son of Nathan
Rogers (7), was born in Holden, Massachusetts,
May 10, 1818. He was the only son of Nathan and
Mary Cheney (Moore) Rogers, but his mother had
children by a previous marriage and his father had,
as will be seen by referring to the record above,
twelve children. The necessity for work came
to him early. He had to do a man's work at the
age of twelve, but in winter he took advantage of
the district schools and attended the Westfield Acad-
emy one term. When he was seventeen he bought
his time of his father for one hundred dollars,
which he paid when he reached his majority and had
saved a considerable sum besides. In 1840, when
lie was twenty-two, he came to Worcester and went
to work for Blake & Trumbull, grocers, who then
Jiad a store in the Butman block. Next year, 1841,
Die went into business for himself with a partner
under the firm name of Smith & Rogers in the
manufacture of goatskin shoes. The building in
■which the firm began business, at the north corner
cf Main and Mechanic streets, was burned in two
months after they started, and they could not
go on. He was in business for a time in
Oswego, New York, as a shoe dealer. In Jan-
uary, 1842, he returned to Worcester and engaged
in the manufacture of shoes again. In 1844 he
entered into partnership with John P. Southgate in
the leather and shoe findings business. Their first
store was at the corner now occupied by the Piper
iblock, and in 1850 they removed to the present loca-
tion of the Rogers block at the corner of Main and
Pleasant streets. With several changes in partners,
Mr. Rogers remained in business in this location
until he retired from business in 1873.

His real estate interests in Worcester had grown
so large at that time that they demanded all his
attention. He purchased the Deacon Brooks farm
at South Worcester, through which he laid out
Southgate and Canterbury streets, now largely built
up. He also bought valuable lots on Front and
Trumbull streets when land was very cheap. In



1863 he built the first large brick block on Front
street west of Church street and east of Harrington
corner. In 1869 he built the Rogers block, the
estate where it stands having been bought three
years before. In 1880 with the late Edwin Morse
he built the Odd Fellows building on Pleasant street.
He built a large business block in Salem square
in 1883 and had many other real estate deals and
buildings to engage his attention. He built his man-
sion house at the corner of High and Chatham
streets in 1868. He became a very wealthy man,
largely through his energetic and shrewd conduct
of his business and careful investment of his savings
in real estate that not only produced revenue but
increased greatly in value as the city grew.

Mr. Rogers was president of the Worcester Elec-
tric Light Company until his death. He was in-
terested in several banks and corporations and an
officer in several of them. He was a member of
Union Congregational Church. He was always a
Republican in politics after the party was organized.
He served the city in the common council in 1877
and 1878 and was in the board of aldermen in 1886
and 1887.

Mr. Rogers died July 9, 1901, at the age of
eighty-three years, having retained his health and
mental ability to the very end of life. His has
often been called a well rounded life. He started
in life without means, acquired wealth in legitimate
business and pursued his business activities to the
advanced age of eighty-three years. At the same
time he built well in the confidence and respect of
his neighbors. He was honored by his fellow citi-
zens and his private character was stainless. As a
citizen he did his full duty, and as a financier he
was among the most prominent men in the city.

Mr. Rogers married, April 19, 1843, at Worces-
ter, Mary S. Rice, daughter of Israel and Char-
lotte Rice, of Shrewsbury. Their children were:
Ellen Frances, born in Worcester, July 7, 1844, re-
sides at the homestead in Worcester; Walter
Thomas, born September 23, 1847, died February

12, 1865.

(VIII) Jeremiah Rogers, son of Nathan Rogers
(7), was born in Holden, Massachusetts, December
11, 1801, died in Boston, January 31, 1870. He lived
in Rutland till 1837 or 1838. He married (inten-
tions November 2) 1832, Sally Paine Meade, born in
Holden, Massachusetts, November 2, 1804, died
in Worcester, December 9, 1897, aged ninety-three
years, one month and nine days. Their only child,
George Paine, was born there May 12, 1834. Her
parents, William and Phebe (Paine) Meade, always
lived in Holden. They had three children : Sarah,
Edwin, Elmer.

(IX) George Paine Rogers, son of Jeremiah
Rogers (8), was born in Rutland, Massachusetts,
May 12, 1834. He attended the Worcester schools
and Worcester Academy. After leaving school he
began to teach, and while working with his father
on the farm in North Worcester during the summer
he taught school for six terms in the winter. In
1865 the farm was sold and he went to Worcester
to work in the grain store of Francis Harrington.
After four years he went to farming again, having
bought the place in Shrewsbury where the late
Philip L. Moen subsequently built his magnificent
country home. He worked for Mr. Harrington
again and in 1881 bought the business and has ever
since carried it on. He has built up one of the



Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 7 of 133)