Ellery Bicknell Crane.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) online

. (page 79 of 133)
Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 79 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


cester Automobile Club, Worcester Council No. 136.
United Commercial Travelers of America, in which
he has had most of the office* at various times.
He is an officer of the Grand Council of New Eng-
land of the United Commercial Travelers of
America.

He married, April 20. 1886, Alice Edson Stone,
born April 28. 1865, died December 9, 1890. daugh-
ter of James Munroe and Hannah Abby (Loring)
Stone, of Holden. Massachusetts. They had one
daughter, Alice Ruth, born November 28, 1890. Mr.
Parker married (second), June 5, 1S04. Eva Maria
Wibnn. bnrn in Worcester, June 7. 1869, daughter
of Charles W. Wilson, of Worcester, and they have
one child. Edith Mabel, bnrn September 26, 1898.
Charles E. Parker, son of Henry Parker (7). was
born in Millburv. Massachusetts, October 20, 1833,
died at his home in Holden, Massachusetts, May
22, 1006. from the effects of a stroke of paralysis
which he suffered about a week before his death.
When he was a year old his father's family re-
moved to Holden, Massachusetts, where he lived
for seventy years. During hi- early youth he at-



tended the common schools there. When he was
seventeen, together with his brother and sister, he
was sent to Leicester Academy for two terms. Dur-
ing his school days he assisted his father on the farm,
and he returned from the academy to help on the
homestead. The following fall and winter he at-
tended school at Amherst, Massachusetts, and later
at Westfield Academy. Mr. Parker taught school
in the towns of West Boylston and Westboro. In
the spring of 1853 he began to learn the trade of
carpenter, at which he worked during the summer,
teaching school in the winter term. When his father
died he returned to the home to help his mother in
the care of the family of six, the two youngest of
whom were but five years and a half, and to carry
on the farm at Holden. By hard work and persist-
ent energy, united with good judgment and com-
mon sense, he improved the farm and made it one
of the best in the town. He became a leader among
the farmers of the county. A man of strong char-
acter, decided opinions, upright and honorable, he
had great influence wherever he chose to exert it.
He was a member of the Farmers' & Mechanics'
Club of Holden, the Horticultural Society of Wor-
cester, the Worcester Agricultural Society, Worces-
ter Society of Antiquity and the Sons of the Amer-
ican Revolution, Cattle Owners' Association, Fruit
Growers' Association, Bee Growers' Association and
many other organizations. He believed in the im-
portance of co-operation among farmers and men
in the same line of business. He was apposed to
secret societies, however, although his father was a
Free Mason. He was naturally conservative in his
opinions and was particularly opposed to the com-
pulsory vaccination laws. He supported his opinions
on this and kindred subjects by vigorous articles in
the newspapers, as well as by speech in private and
public. He was thoroughly in earnest in anything
he undertook to prove or to do. He was a constant
attendant of the Congregational church and served
on its committees. He was active in the political
world. In 1886 he was chosen a member of the
Holden school committee and served the town in
that office seven years. In 18S5-86 he was on the
board of assessors, and in 1888 was chosen secre-
tary of the committee on the dedication of the Da-
mon Memorial (see sketch) and was chosen on the
board of trustees by re-election until 1893. In 1S85-
88-89-90 he was elected on the board of selectmen,
and was chairman during his last term. In 1885,
in behalf of the board of selectmen, he effected a loan
with the Worcester County Institution of Savings
of $34,000, the selectmen and treasurer giving seven-
teen notes of $2,000 each at four per cent, for which,
however, the town received a premium of $646, so
that the actual rate was only three and three-quarters
per cent, making a saving of interest as shown in
the report accepted by the town in 1886, amounting
to $1,200 annually. In 1889 he was chosen chair-
man of the committee to investigate the care of the
poor of the town. After considerable inquiry, the
committee recommended co-operation with other
towns in the care of paupers and the overseers of
the poor in adjacent towns were invited to meet in
conference. As a result the Poor Farm Association
was formed, consisting of the towns of Holden,
Hubbardston, Paxton, Princeton, Oakham and later
Westminster.' The net saving effected by the change
in methods amounts to $1,200 a year with no diminu-
tion in the comforts of those cared for. When the
first three years for which the association was
formed expired in April, 1893, the arrangement was
renewed for five years, Mr. Parker serving as chair-
man of the committee in charge. In 1890 Mr. Parker
was appointed justice of the peace. In 1898 he was



WORCESTER COUNTY



269



elected representative to the general court. He has
attended many state and other nominating conven-
tions of the Republican party as delegate.

He married, November 21, 1861, Adelaide So-
phronia Collier, born October 6, 1837, daughter o£
Francis Augustus Woodbridge and Eliza (.Humes)
Collier, of Sturbridge, Massachusetts. Her father
was a machinist, living most of the time 111 Wor-
cester. Mrs. Parker was educated in the public
schools of Worcester and at the private school of
Miss Potter, Pleasant street. In 1854-55 slle wa s a
student at the Oread Institute, Worcester. The
children : I. Samuel Perry, born December 30, 1862,
married, December 4, 1884, Isabella A. Thomas, of
Spartansburg, South Carolina, and they have : Whit-
ner Roland, Florence Elizabeth, May Adelaide. 2.
Jennie Mabel, born June 12, 1864, married, June 17,
1896, Albert Osgood Condon, of Holden. 3. Frank
Carleton, born August 10, 1867, married, June 29,
1899, Euella E. Potter, of Holden; they have two
children — Harold Carleton, born June 5, 1901 ; Bur-
ton Cranston, born May 27, 1904. 4. Florence, born
June 25, 1870; died August 13, 1870. 5. Charles
Henry, born July 10, 1871, married, February 9,
1899, Inez Eldora Jordan, and they have two chil-
dren — Marion Jordan, born March 5, 1900; William
Clayton, born March 2, 1904. 6. Alice Louise, born
September 29, 1873, married, June 21, 1899, Fred
E. Ladd, of Worcester, and they have two children —
Dorothy May, born May 13, 1900; Milton Parker
Ladd, born September 23, 1904.

CHARLES PAUL DAVIS, a prominent mer-
chant of Webster, is a representative of an old and
highly reputable Worcester county family, being
a lineal descendant in the eighth generation of Dolor
Davis, founder o.f this branch of the Davis family
in America. If this family is of Welsh origin, as
has been asserted, the writer is unable to verify
it by any authentic record, nor can he find any ac-
count of three brothers, who, according to a family
tradition, came from Wales and were its American
progenitors.

(.I) Dolor Davis, accompanied by his wife's
brother, Major Simon Willard, came from the county
of Kent, England, in 1634. He located first in Cam-
bridge, then called New Towne, from whence he re-
moved to Concord, and from the latter place he went
to Barnstable, where he died in June, 1673. By his
marriage with Mary Willard, his first wife, he was
the father of Ruth, Simon and Samuel. Simon and
Samuel were probably born in Cambridge. Simon
became active in the early military affairs of the
colony, serving as a lieutenant, and won distinction
in the campaigns against the Indians.

(II) Samuel Davis married, January 11, 1665,
Mary Meads, and their children were : Mary, Sam-
uel, David, Eleazer, Stephen and Simon.

(III) Simon Davis was born August 9, 1683. He
located in or near Holden about 1722, eighteen years
prior to the incorporation of that- town (.1740), and
resided there for the remainder of his life, which
terminated in 1763. Like his uncle, previously men-
tioned, he participated actively in military affairs,
holding the rank of lieutenant. The maiden name
of his wife was Dorothy Hale, and his children were :
Simon, Israel, Joseph, Eleazer, Martha, Oliver,
Mary and Azubar.

(IV) Israel Davis was born in 1717. He be-
came a prosperous farmer in Holden and his death
occurred in that town in 1791. His wife was before
marriage Mary Hurbert, and his children were:
Betsey, Mary, Israel, Hannah, Paul, Esther, Joseph,
Solomon, Samuel and Catherine.

(V) Paul Davis, who was born in Holden in



1747, became familiarly known as Landlord Davis,
as for a period of forty years he kept a tavern,
which was located on a hill overlooking Eagleville,
and was not only widely known throughout that
section of the commonwealth, but acquired the sin-
cere respect and esteem of all with whom he came
in contact for his numerous commendable qualities.
Although compelled by the universal custom of his
day to dispense stimulating refreshments at his
hostelry, he was himself a total abstainer from the
use of liquor, and strenuously refused to partake of
a dose of hot sling prescribed by the physician on
the day of his death. His activities were not alone
confined to his private business, as he took a promi-
nent part in local public affairs, and for seventeen
years served as town clerk. He married Lydia
Black. Paul Davis died in 1835, surviving his wife,
whose death occurred October 20, 1826. Their chil-
dren were : Lydia, Paul and Daniel.

(.VI) Major Paul Davis was born in Holden,
December 8, 1779. He was the grandfather of
Charles Paul Davis and succeeded to the property
of the first Paul. He became one of the well-to-do
farmers of Holden in his day, and was prominently
identified with public affairs, both civic and military.
Succeeding his father as town clerk he retained that
office continuously for a period of thirty-seven years
or until 1857, when he resigned, much to the regret
of his fellow-townsmen, who at an annual meeting
accorded him a unanimous vote of thanks for his
long and able services, and the resolution was ord-
ered to be entered in the town records. He also
served as a selectman and as representative to the
general court. March 2, 1810, he was commissioned
lieutenant in the state militia, became a captain
March 31, 1812, and May 14, 1812, was promoted to
the rank of major. Major Paul Davis died August
27, 1863. On November 25, 1802, he married Millia
Clapp, who was born in Holden, November 19, 1781,
and died May 15. 1842. The twelve children of this
union, all of whom entered life at the old Davis
tavern, were : Mary, born August I, 1803, died
July 21, 1826; Joseph, born November 28, 1804; Lucy
C, born December 1, 1806, died March 21, 1877;
Theresa, born October 10, 1808, died September 28,
1841 ; Samuel, born July II, 1810, died October 10,
1863; Paul, born July 16, 1812, died September 28,
1815; Daniel, born June 15, 1815, died October 31,
1901 ; John, born November 9, 1817, died November
17, 1843 ; Avery, born March 6, 1820, died November
14, 1898; Maria M., born July 3, 1822, died January
23, 1842 ; Dennis, born August 26, 1826, died Sep-
tember 17, 1826; and Mary Jane, born February 17,
1828, died February 24, 1883.

(VII) Joseph Davis, father of Charles Paul
Davis, successfully followed the occupation of his
father, and was a progressive agriculturist appreciat-
ing to the fullest extent the possibilities obtainable
by the use of improved methods and machinery. In
him was preserved and frequently exemplified the
high standard of character so notable with his an-
cestors, and in turn he was regarded as one of
Holden's upright, conscientious and substantial citi-
zens. He held the office of town treasurer for a
number of years. He was actively interested in the
general welfare of the community, assisting with
his influence and otherwise in securing any improve-
ment calculated to be of benefit to the town, and
his death, which occurred June 2, 1880, was the cause
of sincere regret. Jostph Davis married, October
9, 1831, Emily Clemens, who was born in Charlton,
Massachusetts, August 21, 1814, daughter of Asa
and Ruhanah (Case) Clemens, of that town. She
died August 8, 1871. Joseph and Emily (Clemens)
Davis were the parents of nine children, namely :



*27.0



WORCESTER COUNTY



Mary Emily, born September 3, 1832, died July 31,
1904; Jane Maria, born June 3, 1838, died in 1844;
Emerette Francis and Emer Franciler, twins, born
May 11, 1841, the latter died January 19, 1888;
John Nelson, born August II, 1845, died 1848; Elena
Jane and Edward Chapin, twins, born June 21, 1851,
and both died September 17, 1851; Charles Paul,
the principal subject of this sketch; and Caroline
Elizabeth, born December 7, 1854, died July 21,
1864.

(VIII) Charles Paul Davis began his education
in the Holden public schools, continued it at the
Webster (.Massachusetts) high school, and concluded
his studies at Dean Academy, Franklin, this state.
At the age of nineteen he entered mercantile business
as a clerk for his brother-in-law, J. M. Rawson,
who carried on a clothing store in Webster, and has
ever been identified with that business. In 1890 he
purchased the establishment, which under his able
management has not only been kept fully abreast of
the times, but has undergone some important im-
provements. He carries a large and well selected
stock of clothing and gents' furnishing goods, and
is transacting a profitable business. He is also in-
terested in local financial matters and is a trustee
of the Webster Five Cents Savings Bank.

Mr. Davis is a member of Webster Lodge, Free
and Accepted Masons ; a past noble grand of
Maanexet Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fel-
lows ; Ben Franklin Council, No. 333, Royal Ar-
canum, and is past regent of the local lodge. He is
also a member of the Ancient Order of United Work-
man. He is an active member of the Universalist
churcn, having served as clerk of the society from
1880 to the present time, and is now serving upon
the church committee.

Mr. Davis married, June 14, 1877, Ada May
Labaree, who was born in Springfield, Vermont, July
4, 1857, daughter of C. K. and Alzina M. (Royce)
Labaree, then of Webster, Massachusetts, subse-
quently of Bellows Falls, Vermont. Mr. and Mrs.
Davis have two daughters, namely : Alice May, born
February 4, 1881 ; Beatrice Labaree, born Novem-
ber 13, 1890. Alice May Davis, who was edu-
cated at the Webster high school and Mount Hol-
yoke Seminary, has been teaching school in Webster
since 1901. Beatrice Davis is a student at Web-
ster high school, class of 1908.

CYPRIEN DANDURAND. Germain Dandur-
and (1), the grandfather of Cyprien Dandur-
and, the well known merchant of Webster, Massa-
chusetts, was a Canadian ship owner and captain.
He sailed his own vessels and he used to tell his
children that he was forty years old before he ever
had a home on shore. He was brought up on board
ship. He settled on a farm at St. Alexandre, Prov-
ince of Quebec, Canada, where his children were
born. The family is of French extraction. His chil-
dren were : Germain, Pierre, Cyprien, Guillaume,
Janvier, Mary, Celina, Esther, Antoinette.

(II) Germain Dundurand, son of Germain
Dandurand (1), father of Cyprien Dandurand, was
born in St. Alexandre, February 13, 1813, and died
at the age of ninety-one years at Farnham, Quebec,
March, 1904. He became a captain in the militia ;
he had his father's farm.

He married Zoe Nollen. All of his children were
born there, although about 1850 the parish was di-
vided so the homestead came in the Parish of
Notre Dame des Anges. The children of Germain
and Zoe (Nollen) Dandurand were: Zoe, born 1836,
married Napoleon Beaudreau ; she died 1858, two
years after her marriage. Germain, born 1838, took
religious orders and is a brother superior in a Catho-



lic school in the west, formerly in Providence. Mary,
born 1840, married, 1856, Joseph Lumb. Guillaume,
born 1842, married Flora Perrault, resides in Canada.
Cyprien. Maderise, born 1850, married Emil Flavian,
of New Bedford. Trefley, born 1852, married Marie
Ladue, resides at Careyville, Massachusetts. Dali-
mos, born 1855, married Vital Bersolo ; she died
at New Bedford. Peter, born 1864, married Marie
Eber, resides at New Bedford.

(Ill Cyprien Dandurand, son of Germain
Dandurand (2), was born in St. Alexandre, prov-
ince of Quebec, Canada, July 5, 1844. The life of
Mr. Dandurand is an example of what may be ac-
complished in this country by industry and frugal-
ity, at first, and business shrewdness and careful
investment of savings. He started with nothing.
He had a common school education in Canada, and
was only fifteen years old when he struck out for
himself and came to America. He started to work
his way at North Adams, Massachusetts, where he
took a job with the pick and shovel in the cemetery.
After six months he came to Shrewsbury to work
in the tanyard, and stayed there about eight months.
He worked about a year on the roads at Manchaug,
Massachusetts, and then returned to his trade of
tanner, working in the tan yard at Dudley for a year.
He worked as a hodcarrier on the Webster Baptist
Church. About the time his marriage he worked
for a year in the Shrewsbury tannery. No work was
too hard or disagreeable for him. Soon after the
close of the war he ventured in business for him-
self, opening a livery stable and establishing a bak-
er's shop. Both ventures proved profitable and he
has continued among the me'rehants of Webster ever
since. In 1892 he sold his bakeshop to his son, Frank
Dandurand, and his livery stable to David Perrault.
Mr. and Mrs. Dandurand enjoyed an extensive
trip lasting nearly a year through 'the United States
and the provinces. They took their sons, William
and Joseph, with them. In the course of this unique
trip, which Mr. Dandurand refers to as his wedding
trip delayed for some years, they visited all their
relatives. Since his return to Webster he took back
the livery business and has continued for some years
as proprietor of the stable business that he built
up. Mr. Dandurand is a Democrat in politics. He
is a Roman Catholic, a member of th Sacred Heart
Church and parish. He was a charter member of
the St. Jean Baptiste Society of Webster. He was
a supporter of the project of connecting Webster
with Worcester by electric railway, and became a
large stockholder and director of the Webster Elec-
tric Railway Company. He retained this position un-
til! the New York, New Haven & Hartford Rail-
road bought the Webster road. He has invested
largely in Webster real estate. He owns a farm in
Dudley.

He married (first), September 15, 1866, Rosalie
Gauchier, of Canada, at Webster. She died March,
1872. He married (second), August 28, 1872,
Marie Derosier. at Webster, daughter of Stanislas
and Elizabeth Deshotel (Delapointe) Derosier. The
children of Cyprien and Rosalie (Gauchier) Dandur-
and : Francis Xavier, born in Webster, November
23, 1867, proprietor of the bakery. Fred, born May
30, 1870. John Baptiste, born 1872. The children
by the second marriage were : Joseph, born
February 13, 1877, died at the age of three. Marie,
born June 29, 1878, died at the age of three. Jo-
seph Cyprien, born August 27, 1880, went from Web-
ster high school to Holy Cross College, Farnham,
Quebec, where he won the medal of the four colleges.
Resides at Coalinga, California, where he is a hotel
chef in charge of about twenty men ; lives in Cali-
fornia on account of his health. He was one of the





LKONARD HANNA




^Ay&fThuVLAA^K^^




WORCESTER COUNTY



271



thousands who had the unpleasant experience of be-
ing subjected to the California earthquake of May,
1906, being fortunate, however, in escaping serious
injury as the damage to the room where he slept
consisted only of the falling of the plastering, a rude
awakening and one well calculated to inspire terror.
Antonio William, born June 15, 1882, resides in
Webster, married August 4, 1901, Alexcina Corneille,
and has one child, Leo Cyprien Antonio, born Sep-
tember 28, 1905; he is a machinist by trade. Emma
(twin), born September 27, 1883, died October 17,
1884. Hermidos (twin), born September 27, 1883,
died October, 1884. Luvina, born December, 1885,
died February, 1886. Christine, born November 21,
1887, died aged three months. Louis Martin, born
November 12, 1889, died aged two years, seven
months, January, 1892. Agnes Eva, born January
28, 1893, studying in Convent school in Webster.

PAUL BROTHERS. John Brothers (1), father
of Paul Brothers, of Webster, was born in St. Hya-
cinth, Province of Quebec, Canada, about 1782, and
died in 1878. He came with his family to Sutton,
Massachusetts, about 1850. He was a blacksmith by
trade, and worked in Sutton for many years. He
was twice married, and by the first wife had nine
children. The second wife was Mary Ann Shepard,
born about 1800, died 1885. She was the mother of
twelve children by this marriage, making twenty-one
children of John Brothers, eighteen of whom reached
reached maturity. Paul was one of the twelve chil-
dren by the second wife.

(II) Paul Brothers, son of John Brothers, was
born at St. Hyacinth, Providence of Quebec, January
15, 1843. He had no schooling, having to go to work
at the earliest possible day to help support the family.
At ten he went to work in a mill at Sutton, where
he was employed for about seven years. He then
worked in various shoe factories in Sutton, Grafton
and Oxford, Massachusetts. When he was twenty-
one he went to East Douglas to work in the ax fac-
tory, there, but a year later entered business in
Douglas as the proprietor of a barbershop. He fol-
lowed this business successfully for about thirteen
years, residing at East Douglas, and then moved to
Sutton where he conducted a barber shop for five
years. Gradually he became interested in other lines,
and as hotel proprietor and manager, and in the
wholesale produce commission business, became one
of the leading business men of Sutton. He acquired
a competency, and in 1899 moved to Webster and re-
tired from business. He has always taken a part
in public affairs. He is a Democrat, and was on the
town committee of Sutton from 1889 to 1S97. He
is a Roman Catholic in religion, and a member of
Sacred Heart Church of Webster. He married, June
4, 1864, Mary Gondeau, born May I, 1845, daughter
of Nathaniel and Mary (Paul) Gondeau. Their
children: 1. Eliza, now deceased, married Cornelius
Dixon, of Sutton ; two children : Alice B., born in
1898; Flossie, born 1901. 2. Paul. 3. Joseph. 4.
Lavina, deceased. 5. Mary, married Arthur Racicot
(see sketch), and has a child, Florodora, born Au-
gust, 1902. 6. Edward. 7. Emma, deceased. 8.
Charles. 9. Lena, a graduate of Webster high school,
class of 1902.

HANNA FAMILY. Few family names among
the fourteen million or more by which the inhabi-
tants of the United States of America are at present
recognized have during recent years been more con-
spicuously brought before the American people than
that of Hanna, and to that prominent figure as a
citizen, business man and statesman, the late Mar-
cus Alonzo Hanna, must to more than any other be



given the credit. This family traces its descent
from Patrick Hannay, who in the thirteenth century
built and occupied the castle known in history as
"Castle Sorby," which is still to be seen, a pictur-
esque ruin by the waters of the mull of Galloway,
in Wigton, Scotland. Although the ownership of
this famous castle has passed out of the name of
Hannay, it is still in the possession of descendants
from its first occupant, now the Earls of Galloway.

(I) Among the Scottish families who passed
over into the north of Ireland were representatives
of Patrick Hannay, and there at Ballybay, the county
of Monaghan, lived Thomas Hanna and his wife,
whose maiden name was Elizabeth Henderson. They,
with their children, John, James, Robert, born 1753;
Hugh, Martha and Thomas, came to America in the
year 1763. The father was then but forty-three years
of age. He died in 1864, and was buried at the
Quaker Settlement in Buckingham, Bucks county,
Pennsylvania.

(II) Robert Hanna, above named, born March
-> 1/53, was twin brother of James. They with their
parents and the remainder of the family landed on
American soil at Newcastle, Delaware, soon mak-
ing their way to Buckingham, Bucks county, Penn-
sylvania. Although his early home was cast among
that sect termed Quakers, advocates of peace, he
sided with the patriots and was a member of the
Provincial committee who met in Carpenter's Hall,
Philadelphia, in July, 1774, to demand the appoint-
ment of delegates to the first Continental congress,



Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 79 of 133)