Ellery Bicknell Crane.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) online

. (page 80 of 133)
Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 80 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


a movement which resulted in the enunciation of the
Declaration of Independence. January 31, 1776,
he married Catharine Jones, in Chester county, Penn-
sylvania, and they began their housekeeping in a
stone house then standing upon the spot made fam-
ous by the battle of the Brandywine, where their
eldest son, Thomas, was born May 2, 1777. Two
years later they removed to Campbell county, Vir-
ginia, where Mr. Hanna, in partnership with John
Lynch, laid out the city of Lynchburg on lands
owned by them. While a resident of this city eight
children were born to Robert and Catharine Hanna,
three of whom died young. In 1801 the family re-
moved to Fairfield township. Columbia county, Ohio.
Five years later the family removed to Middletown
township, where Mr. Hanna laid out and founded
the village of Clarkson, remaining here until 1819,
when they went to New Lisbon, where the mother
died September 28, 1835. He died July 16, 1837, liv-
ing and dying in the Quaker faith. Catharine (Jones)
Hanna was a cousin of James Monroe, fifth Presi-
dent of the United States. Children of Robert and
Catharine (Jones) Hanna: Thomas, born May 2,
1777, died September 17, 1828, Lisbon, Ohio ; Benja-
min, born June 14, 1779, died July 15, 1853 ; Esther,
born August 6, 1781, died November 3, 1791, Lynch-
burg, Virginia ; David, born January 9, 1784, died
October 24, 1791, Lynchburg, Virginia ; Caleb, born
September 4, 17S6, died July 15, 1790, Lynchburg,
Virginia ; Robert, born June 20, 1789, died Septem-
ber 25, 1854, Wilmington, Delaware ; Esther, born
April 10, 1792, died December 6, 1849, Carmel, Ohio;
Catharine, born November 25, 1794, died May 3,
iSSr, Augusta, Ohio; Ann, born July 30, 1797, died
March 3, 1867, in Iowa ; Joshua, born February 16,
1802. died September II, 1804, Middletown, Ohio.

(III) Benjamin Hanna, born June 14, 1779.
married, December 15, 1803, Rachel Dixon. She
died February 28, 1851, and he married (second)
Hannah Kersey, daughter of the eminent minister
Jesse Kersey. Mr. Hanna died in New Lisbon,
Ohio, July 15, 1853. He was of a kindly nature,
after the disposition of the Quakers, to which body
he belonged. His early home was in the town of



2J2



WORCESTER COUNTY



New Lisbon, Columbiana county, Ohio, where his
son Leonard was born. In 1812 he took charge of a
Friends' Company store in Salem. Two years later
he removed to New Lisbon and opened a store for
the sale of general merchandise. He was a promi-
nent and public spirited citizen, and president of
the Sandy and Beaver canal. His children were :
Joshua, born November 8, 1804, died July 7, 1881 ;
Leonard, born March 4, 1806, died December 15,
1862; Levi, born February 7, 1808, died May 5, 1898;
Zalinda, born February 23, 1S10, died December 4,
1854; Robert, born August 15, 1812, died April 3,
1882; Tryphena, born June 12, 1814, died May 23,
1893 (twin) ; Tryphosa, born June 12, 1814, died
January 17, 1S15 (twin) ; Rebecca, born September
21, 1816, died October 15, 1847; Thomas B., born
May 22, 1818, died November 9, 1885; Anna, born
March 3, 1821, died January 26, 1846; Benjamin J.,
born March 4, 1823, died April 3, 1881 ; Kersey;
Elizabeth, born June 12, 1827, died January 26, 1833.
(IV) Leonard Hanna, M. D., born March 4,
1806, married, September 10, 1835, Samantha Con-
verse, who was born in Randolph, Vermont, April
3, 1813, and died in Asheville, North Carolina, April
16, 1897. During the latter portion of her life, with
the exception of the five weeks just prior to her
death, which she passed in Asheville, North Caro-
lina, she resided in Cleveland, Ohio, where she was
generally beloved for her amiable and charitable
disposition, as well as for her interest in church
work, she being a member of the Third Presbyterian
Church of that city. Also an honorary member of
the Early Settlers' Association of Cuyahoga county.
Dr. Hanna, after acquiring a medical education,
graduating from several medical schools, began the
practice of his profession in New Lisbon, but, on ac-
count of the severe physical strain incident to a
large practice over a rough country, his health be-
came somewhat broken, and he entered into business
with his brother Robert in Cleveland, Ohio, con-
ducting an extensive commission business and own-
ing a line of steamers on the great lakes. He was a
gentleman of fine and imposing appearance, and an
attractive public speaker. Often and most effectively
was his voice heard in opposition to the practice
of human slavery and in the interest of temperance.
Dr. Hanna was a skillful physician and surgeon, and
became eminent in the practice of his profession.
He was a popular lecturer on medical and va-
rious scientific subjects. He died December 15, 1862,
in Cleveland, Ohio. His children were: Helen G.,
born July 17, 1836, died November 28, 1891 ; Marcus
Alonzo, born September 24, 1837, died February 15,
1904 ; Howard Melville, Salome Maria, Seville Sa-
mantha, Leonard Colton, Lillian Converse.

(V) Salome Maria Hanna married, September
10, 1868, George W. Chapin, who was born Febru-
ary 22, 1837. He died, and she married (second) J.
Wyman Jones. He died October 27, 1904, in New
York city, at the age of eighty-three years. He was
the founder of Englewood, New Jersey. Her chil-
dren by first husband were : Henry H. Chapin, born
December 5, 1869, died July 12, 1881 ; Charles M.
Chapin.

(V) Perhaps no member of the family, past or
present, has brought mure honor and renown upon
the family name than the elder brother of Salome
Maria (Hanna) Jones, Marcus Alonzo Hanna (V),
who was born September 24. 1837, at New Lisbon,
Ohio. He was for several years the most prominent
figure in the political life not only of the state of
Ohio, but of the United States. From his boyhood
on through the various onward and upward steps
to a seat in the United Statts senate, he displayed
the same open, frank and manly traits of character



that seldom fails to succeed when re-enforced by an
active brain, sound judgment, and a determination to
triumph over every impediment in the pathway to
victory. In the various undertakings assumed by
Mr. Hanna he recognized no defeat. Whether the
building and the sailing of ships, operating of street
railways, mining, buying and selling coal or of iron
ore, directing banking establishments, as well as the
financing of divers enterprises, all were handled with
the same wise judgment and steady hand. The same
individuality prevaded his whole political life, from
the ward caucus to the state campaign, and on even
the management of the great presidential contests of
1896 and 1900, when he led the Republican party to
victory by unprecedented pluralities, that force of
will with which he was so abundantly endowed
proved the power behind the throne. Because he
succeeded when others might fail, he was sometimes
but without good reason termed a tyrannical, austere
man. But seldom was there to be found a kinder
nature or one more true. His word was as good
as his bond; he kept •his promises, was genial, oblig-
ing and friendly, without dishonesty, and devoid of
trickery.

The late president — William McKinley— was a
firm believer in Mr. Hanna, and well he might have
been, for it was through the masterly efforts of the
latter, it was claimed, that the former succeeded
to the presidential cliair. Exacting as the service
during that famous campaign proved to be, and
severe as were the criticisms from certain quarters
aimed at Mr. Hanna, the latter knew that whatever
he had done was justifiable, and the well-nigh unan-
imous vote of the Ohio legislature, which called
him to a seat in the United States senate, was a
convincing argument that at least the people of his
own state felt the utmost confidence in him, and
that confidence was never misplaced. With the vast
business experience he had received and his superb
native ability, he was at once able to successfully
cope upon the floor of the senate with that body of
trained lawmakers of national reputation. Mr.
Hanna, while a member of the United States senate,
adopted the same wise business principles and sound
logic that had governed his previous life, and in
his thoroughly convincing language, concise and
eloquent, presented his views before that body, argu-
ing in a straightforward businesslike way which
usually assured his hearers of his own sincerity,
if he did not win them wholly to his belief.

The knowledge Mr. Hanna had gained in the
employment of labor in connection with his vast
enterprise led him to give careful consideration
to the question of capital versus labor, and, with an
honest aim toward harmonizing differences between
these important elements, he sought through a na-
tional organization to preserve harmony and thereby
promote the industrial welfare of the country. While
Mr. Hanna had been thought at times rather blunt
or rough in manner, he had a large and generous
heart. To be sure, he was prompt and exacting
in business matters, for that was a principle with
him. But no appeal for help came to his ear that
was not given attention, and no worthy obiect was
turned away unaided. Through his paternal line
he inherited the characteristics of the Quakers, who
have linen noted for friendliness and brotherly love.
There was nothing worthy of special comment
throughout the early boyhood days of the suhiect
of this sketch. He passed a full course at the high
schools and part of a course at Western Reserve
College, and at the age of twenty, owing to the
deMh of his father, gave up his school to assume
charge of his father's Inrge commission business
in Cleveland. Ohio. At the age of thirty years he



WORCESTER COUNTY



27$



became interested in the coal and iron business.
Success followed, and an ample fortune was the
reward for his faithful, persistent efforts. Mr.
Hanna was proud of his home, the city of Cleve-
land, whither he went in 1852 and where he had
grown up and prospered in commercial as well as
political life. As a partial recompense for the per-
sonal sacrifices made by Mr. Hanna while con-
ducting the campaign of 1896, it was suggested by
prominent men in the Republican ranks that he
should be given a place in the cabinet of President
McKinley, and the president was urged to offer him
a place. But Mr. Hanna refused to consider such
a proposal. He wanted no reward ; his work had
been given unselfishly. Equally well and in the
same spirit did he manage the national campaign
in 1900, and with the same successful outcome. Mr.
Hanna's re-election to the United States senate in
1903 was a fitting endowment not only of his ability
as a statesman and political leader, but it displayed
the unqualified confidence the people of Ohio felt
in the man who for a long period of years had
walked before them, occupying various positions of
public and "private trusts.

Mr. Hanna died at the Arlington Hotel, in Wash-
ington, D. C, February 15, 1904. He married, Sep-
tember 27, 1864, Charlotte Augusta Rhodes. Their
children were: Daniel Rhodes, Mabel A., married
Harry Parsons ; Ruth, married J. Medill McCormick.

J. WYMAN JONES, deceased, a man of mas-
terly attainments and noble character, was during
a long and active cafeer prominent in business af-
fairs of the first order of importance, in various
parts of the country. In the west he was president
of one of the largest lead producing corporations-
in the world, and held a controlling interest in cer-
tain large railway and cattle and farming com-
panies. In the east he was known as founder of
the beautiful little city of Englewood, New Jersey,
and in Massachusetts as the owner of one of the
most beautiful residential estates within its borders
— historic Rosenvec, on Bolton Hill, near Worcester.

The life of J. Wyman Jones was an eloquent
attestation of the influence of heredity and early
environment. He was born in 1822, in the town
of Enfield, New Hampshire. His boyhood was
passed in the open life of that rugged region with
its exhilirating mountain atmosphere; he was
brought up to habits of thrift, and the parental
training was affectionate and judicious, based upon
lofty ideas of duty and responsibility. His father
was a man of sturdy character, who was a power
in the community ; he sat for several terms in the
state legislature, and was for many years a justice
of the peace. His mother, a direct descendant of
the famous Hannah Dustin. was a woman of rare
jweetness of disposition, and more than ordinary
refinement. The parents were desirous of keeping
their only son at home, but he was ambitious of
procuring a more liberal education than the neigh-
boring schools afforded, and, after completing the
course in Meriden Academy, he matriculated at
Dartmouth College, in 1837, and where he had for
fellow-students a son of Daniel Webster, Edward
Webster, who died during the Mexican war ; the
Rev. Leonard Swain, of Nashua, New Hampshire :
and Gardinar H. Hubbard, Esq., of Washington
City. After his graduation he could not be per-
suaded to locate at home, and, although dependent
entirely upon his own resources. w : ent to New York
city and entered upon the study of law. In 1843,
having just attained his majority, he was admitted
to the bar of New York and followed his profes-
sion for twenty years, during the latter part of this
period in Utica. New York. At that place he made
ii— 18



many warm friends in his profession, including the
late Justice William J. Bacon, Senator Kerman,
Joshua Spencer, and the late Senator Roscoe Conk-
ling. Advised by his physician that he must lead
more of an out-of-door life, he reluctantly relin-
quished the practice of law to give himself to rural
pursuits, although still retaining his membership
and interest in the New York bar. In 1858, 011
invitation of a former client, then engaged in sur-
vey work for the Northern Railroad of New Jersey,
he made an examination of the proposed route, and,
being impressed by the natural beauty of the coun-
try, with characteristic daring determined to throw
himself heartily into the work of developing the
region where is now located the beautiful village of
Englewood, New Jersey. He spent the summer of
1858 in securing property rights from the owners,
and by the autumn of that year had secured control
of nearly all the land now occupied by the village,
and at once proceeded to lay out a town, name its
streets, and procure a survey and map of its terri-
tory. In the spring of the following year he moved
his family to the new town, and had gained for it
the support of several valuable friends. In the
same spring, at a meeting of the residents, the name
of Englewood suggested and advocated by him, was
adopted. From that time forward, Mr. Jones was
prominent in the secular and religious life of the
community, and maintained his interest throughout
the remainder of his life, and had the satisfaction
of witnessing its development pursuant to the gen-
eral plan formulated by himself, into a beautiful
and progressive suburb of the city of New York.

Nor were his activities bounded by the field
which he claimed as a home. In 1865 he became
president of the St. Joseph Lead Company, a cor-
poration mining and manufacturing commercial!
lead in the state of Missouri, and which by per-
sistent energy he raised to its present position as
one of the largest lead producing companies in the
United States or in the world. Associated with the
company were also a railway corporation having
a road forty-eight miles in length, and a cattle
and farming company transacting a large business,
of both of which Mr. Jones was president, and he
occupied the same position in the Doe Run Lead
Company. During the very nearly forty years of
his presidency of the St. Joseph Lead Company,
terminating with his death, he spent much of his
time at the mines in Missouri, where he witnessed
the building up of a prosperous community. Dur-
ing all this long period there was never a serious
strike among the miners or other workmen, it hav-
ing been one of the chief concerns of the com-
pany, under the leadership of President Jones, to
treat its employes fairly, and also to aid in every
undertaking which promised to contribute to their
pleasure, or to their moral and physical welfare.

In politics Mr. Jones was a Republican since
the days of the Free-Soil party. At the outbreak
of the civil war, while deep in his work at Engle-
wood. New Jersey, he was an ardent supporter of
the Union, and frequently addressed public meet-
ings in advocacy of the cause. He was for many
years chairman of the Republican county executive
committee, and was chosen a delegate-at-Iarge from
the state of New Jersey to the Republican national
convention of 1872. In 1876 he was elected a dele-
gate to the state convention by the Republicans of
Englewood after he had declared himself friendlv
to Senator Conkling and opposed to James G.
Blaine, and the state convention elected him a dele-
gate to the national convention in Cincinnati. There,
with five other delegates from New Jersey, he re-
fused to vote for Mr. Blaine, and on the first and
every ballot voted for Mr. Hayes, who received the



274



WORCESTER COUNTY



nomination. While his course was distasteful to
the adherents of Mr. Blaine, so far as concerned
Mr. Jones it was in accord with the declarations
ne had previously made, and with the decision of
his Englewood constituents. In later years he took
no active part in politics, but maintained a loyal
adherence to his party, and an earnest concern for
the prosperity of the country.

Personally Mr. Jones was a courtly gentleman
of the old-time type, thoroughly American, and
counting his friends among all classes of the peo-
ple. He possessed a rare insight into human nature,
and judged quickly and accurately. He was re-
served in manner and cultured in his tastes, an
industrious reader, and a deep thinker. He was
■deeply attached to the institutions of his country,
an indication of which is found in his connection
with the Washington Association of Morristown,
New Jersey, of which he was a life member.

Mr. Jones was twice married. After entering
upon the practice of law, and prior to his locating
in Utica, New York, he married Harriet Dwight
Dana, many years deceased, daughter of James
Dana, of that city, and sister of Professor James
D. Dana, of Vale University. Of this marriage
were born two children : Diana, deceased, and
Dwight A. Jones, now a practicing attorney in New
York city, with offices at No. 5 Nassau street. In
1886 Mr. Jones married Mrs. Salome Hanna Chapin,
of Cleveland, Ohio, a sister of the late Hon. Mark
Hanna. and who is yet living, and is a lady of
cultured tastes in art and literature. Her first hus-
band was George W. Chapin, a native of Connecti-
cut, and who resided in Cleveland, Ohio, and died
August 12, 1883. By her first husband Mrs. Jones
had two sons, Henry Hubbell Chapin, born De-
cember. i86q. and died July 12, 1881 ; and Charles
Merrill Chapin. The last named son was edu-
cated by private tutors, and May 10, 1893, he mar-
ried Esther M. Lewis, daughter of Colonel E. P. C.
Lewis, of Virginia, her mother being a daughter
of John Stevens, the inventor of the celebrated
Stevens floating battery, the prototype of the modern
ironclad war ship. Of this marriage were born two
children — Mary Stevens Chapin and Charles Merritt
Chapin. Jr. The family reside in Bernardsville,
New Jersey.

Mr. and Mrs. J. Wyman Jones, during the latter
years of the husband, resided during the winter
months in Thomasville, Georgia, where they main-
tained a Southern home of rare attractiveness, and
where Mr. Jones interested himself deeply in the
development of both the aesthetic and the practical
life of the community. Their most delightful home,
however, and which they occupied during the sum-
mers, was "Rosenvec," their country seat on the
western slope of the "beautiful Bolton Hill," in
Worcester county, Massachusetts — a notable ex-
ample of an historic place dating back to early
colonial days, modernized with all that makes for
late nineteenth century comfort, and refined luxury,
while retaining it- original aspect.* The place is as
remarkable for the loveliness of its situation as
for its historical associations. Here is a domain of
five hundred acres of diversified upland, embracing
sweeps of fertile fields and rich pastures, orchards
and clusters of magnificent trees, with the colonial
mansion facing the elm-lined country highway, at
the rear of which the land gently falls, opening
to the view one of the grandest panoramas in a
region famed for the beauty of its landscapes. The



*Based upon an illustrated brochure of Rev, Edward Everett
Hale and Prof. H Langford Warren.



central portion of the mansion house is probably
about two hundred years old. The inventory of
the property of James Richardson, who occupied
it from 1740 until his death in 1799, describes the
identical rooms of this part. The east and west
wings were added about seventy-five years ago,
by S. V. S. Wilder, who became the owner in 1814,
and it vvas during his time that "Bolton Hill' was
given its most interesting and romantic place in
history. When the crisis in the career of Napoleon
Bonaparte came, Mr. Wilder was residing in Paris.
He was an ardent friend of the Emperor, and con-
cieved a plan of his escape — Napoleon to disguise
himself as valet to Mr. Wilder, and accompany him
to the coast, where one of Mr. Wilder's ships would
receive him and convey him to the United States.
I here arrived, the Emperor was to be brought to
"Bolton Hill" to remain incognito for at least six
months. Mr. Wilder's biographer asserts that "this
scheme Napoleon seriously considered, and declared
it feasible, but finally declined because he would
not desert friends who had been faithful to him."
So the project fell through, and when the Emperor
finally surrendered himself to the officers of H. M.
S. "Bellerophon." But for his declination of Mr.
Wilder's proffer, so Edward Everett Hale once
remarked in a whimsical paragraph, "Napoleon
might have 'served as a selectman of Bolton, had
he chosen to take out naturalization papers." A
dozen years later Mr. Wilder entertained at "Bol-
ton Hill" the Marquis de Lafayette, during his last
memorable visit to America in 1824. He was the
honored guest of the old mansion house for a night
while on his triumphal way through Worcester
county at the close of his New England tour. The
ride from the county line by Concord being after
dark, the houses on the way were lighted by flam-
beaux of pine knots, and vases filled with ignited
turpentine, held by the people. At Bolton Hill
lights gleamed from every window of the mansion,
lanterns twinkled among the evergreens decorating
the front lawn, and over the entrance walk was an
arch with the motto, "The Sword of Jehovah, of
Washington and Lafayette." As Lafayette passed
under the arch, on the arm of his host, he re-
marked that "it appeared to him he was being con-
ducted to some enchanted castle in fairyland." He
was most hospitably entertained, and after his re-
turn to France he wrote to Mr. Wilder that "The
affectionate welcome I enjoyed at your beautiful
seal will be ever present in my memory." Mr.
Wilder further embellished the estate with grape
vines and fruit trees from the gardens of Versailles,
some of which yet remain; and he set out the noble
lines of elms, two miles in extent, which beautify
the main road. His enlargement of the mansion
house by the building of the wings was in the gen-
eral style of the older park, except as to the height
of the rooms, those of the wings being much higher
studded, so that the several parts harmonize. The
changes instituted by Mr. Jones were confined to
the furnishing of the interior, and the improve-
ments necessary to a thoroughly equipped modern
mansion, but every distinctive feature of the orig-
inal architecture being carefully preserved, and the
furnishings are in character with the old-time house.
For the most part the furniture' is genuine colonial,
much of it highly polished and beautifully worked,
and carved mahogany, with numerous rare pieces.
The "Lafayette Room." the chamber which the
Marquis occupied, is furnished in Empire style.
In another room i- a handsome specimen of old
Italian wood carving in furniture. The space under
the arch between the stairways is furnished with
massive pieces of antique work, while a rare old



WORCESTER COUNTY



-/o



clock ticks off the time as it has for a hundred
years and more. The estate is abundantly supplied



Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 80 of 133)