Ellery Bicknell Crane.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) online

. (page 81 of 133)
Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 81 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


with all the buildings necessary to a gentleman's
completely equipped country home, and containing
teams and vehicles of every variety. The name of
the estate, "Rosenvec" is an anagram formed by
Mrs. Jones from the latters of her family name,
"Converse," to associate with the place her mother,
who was a "Converse. At this delightful home Mr.
and Mrs. Jones passed their happiest hours, and
there dispensed a charming hospitality to a bust
■of friends. Mr. Jones gave much of bis time to his
large and choice library, and Mrs. Jones was a
most congenial companion in all pertaining to art
and literature. They traveled much, in Europe as
well as in the United States, and their home con-
tained many treasures of art collected in their
journcyings.

Mr. Jones died at the Hotel Grosvenor, in New
York city, October 27, 1904, in the eighty-third year
•of his age. The remains were conveyed to Engle-
wood, New Jersey, for interment, and tenderly laid
away beside those of his early friends and asso-
-ciates of the early days of the village. Every mark
of respect was paid to the memory of the lamented
deceased; all places of business stood closed while
the funeral was in progress, and all the church bells
-were tolled.

HARRY C. BEAMAN. Gamaliel Beaman, the
immigrant ancestor of Harry C. Beaman, of Prince-
ton, Massachusetts, was born in England, 1623, and
came to America when twelve years old in the ship
"Elizabeth and Ann." He located with relatives at
Dorchester at first. He became a proprietor there
in 1640. In 1658 he w^.s one of the incorporators of
Lancaster, and next year, May 23, he settled there.
He had to leave his home there in 1676 on account
of the Indian attacks and returned to Dorchester
and soon afterward died there, March 23, 167S. His
wife was admitted to the Dorchester church Feb-
ruary 1, 1656, and was dismissed to Lancaster, May
24. 1668. He married, about 1648, Sarah Clark.
Their first four children were baptized together June
14, 1657. Their children were: 1. John, see forward.
2. Joseph, born 1651. 3. Gamaliel, born 1653. 4.
Thomas, married, 1678, Elizabeth Williams, daugh-
ter of Abraham and Joanna (Ward) Williams, of
Marlboro : founder of Marlboro branch of family.
5. Mary, born 1656. 6. Sarah, born at Dorchester,
January 19. 1658. 7. Noah, born May 3. 1661. 8.
Thankful, born April 18, 1663. 9. Mehitable, born
May 26, 1667.

(II) John Beaman, son of Gamaliel Beaman
(1). born 1649, returned to Lancaster after the death
of his father, when the town was re-settled, and
took up his fathers old farm at Wataquadock, now
Bolton. He removed to Taunton about 1682, but
returned after a few years to Lancaster. He died
at Lancaster, January 15, 1739, at an advanced age.
He married Priscilla , born in 1656, died Au-
gust 6. 1729, aged seventy-three years. Their chil-
dren were: Sarah, born in Lancaster, January 25,
1681 ; Gamaliel, see forward; John, remained on the
homestead at Bolton; had son Jabez in 1705, and
he settled in what is now West Boylston, 1746.

(III) Gamaliel Beaman. son of John Beaman
(2), was born at Taunton, Massachusetts, February
29. 1684. The birth is recorded also at Lancaster
without stating that it was of Taunton. Gamaliel
Beaman was in 1721 the first inhabitant of what is
now the town of Sterling. He was soon followed by
Samuel Sawyer. Benjamin Houghton. David Osgood
and Jonathan Osgood, all settled before 1726 and had



their houses built. He died at Sterling, October
20, 1745, and was the first person buried in the
graveyard there. He had joined the Chocksett
church, July 7, 1745, shortly before his death. His
grave is marked by a stone. His will was dated
April 20, 1745, and allowed November 5, 1745. One
of the witnesses was his old neighbor, Samuel
Sawyer.

There is a memorandum dated 1716 on the Lan-
caster church records of the admission of Father
Beaman from the Taunton Church "day and year
forgotten. This probably refers to Gamaliel Bea-
man s father and indicates that he lived with him at
launton as well as Sterling. Children of Gamaliel
rJeaman were : Phmebas, see forward ; Eunice mar-
ried Jonas Wilder; Zerviah. baptized at Lancaster
August 10, 1740; Lois, baptized at Lancaster Au-
gust io ; 1740; Dinah, born at Sterling, September

20, 1728; a daughter, married Jewett left a

daughter Elizabeth Jewett; Mary, married Nathaniel
Wilder.

(IV) Phinehas Beaman, son of Gamaliel Bea-
man (3), was born in Sterling, in 1719. He accepted
the covenant in the Lancaster church January 6,
r 739-40, and joined the church July 9 1752 His
wife joined the church March 22, 1761. He mar-
ried, October 23, 1740, Joannah White, at Lan-
caster. His will was made November 4, 1794 and
filed March 28, 1S03. He died March 16, 1803, at
Sterling. Children of Phinehas and Joannah all
born at Sterling, were: Joanna, baptized at Lan-
caster, May 24, 1741; Pbineas, born April 20, 1742,
baptized June 6, 1742: Joseph, baptized May 31,

1743; Silence, born August 31, 1747, married

Carter: Elizabeth, baptized at Sterling, July 9, 1745,

born July 1, married Boynton ; Lemuel,' born

at Sterling. October 2, 1746, baptized November 9;
Gamaliel, born in Sterling, baptized February 24,
1748. died before 1794: ancestor of Beaman family
of Wmchendon (see sketch) ; Jonas, born July 12,
1750, baptized August 12; Josiah, born October 2,
1752, baptized November 5; Benjamin, born April
10, 1754, baptized May 29, 1754; Elisha, born June
7. 1757. baptized July 3, 1757, moved to Leverett.
Massachusetts; Abigail, born July 14, 1760, baptized
July 27, 1760; Gideon, born July 12, baptized Au-
gust 21, 1763. Ten of these children were living
at the time the father's will was made, November
4. 1794.

(V) Phinehas Beaman. Jr., son of Phinehas
Beaman (4), was born in Sterling, Massachusetts,
April 20, 1742, and baptized there June 6 following.
He died at Princeton, Massachusetts, February 24,
1830. He settled at Princeton before his marriage.
He married (intentions filed February 5 at Lan-
caster and July 23 at Princeton). 1773, Hannah Buss,
of Lancaster. She died at Princeton, April 10, 1822,
aged seventy-three years. His will was made Decem-
ber 20, 1816, and presented for probate April 6,
18.30. Children of Phinehas and Hannah Beaman,
all born at Princeton, were: Hannah, born April
17, 1774- married Robert Bailey Thomas, the editor
of the Farmers' Almanac, then of Sterling, Novem-
ber 17, 1803; Eunice, born March 27, 1777: Phine-
has. born April 6, 1780: Gamaliel, born August 7,
1783: Nabby, married Captain Samuel B. Brooks.

(VI) Phinehas Beaman. son of Phinehas Bea-
man (;), was born in Princeton, Massachusetts,
April 6, 1780. died there April 15, 1S4S. He was
educated in the district schools there and brought
up on a farm. He was a farmer throughout his
active life, and prpminent and influential in town
affairs. He married, January 26. tSoj. Phebe Mer-
riam. at the residence of the bride's father. Captain
Amos Merriam, of Princeton. Their children, all



276



WORCESTER COUNTY



born at Princeton, were: Maria, 1804: Fidelia, April
19, 1S07 ; Amos Merriam, October 30, 1808, died
February 21, 1809; Alden, 1810, died February 21,
1812; Phebe P., December 25, 1812, married James
B. Billings, May 21, 1835; Hannah Thomas, Janu-
ary 7, 1815, died July 31, 1828; Lydia Merriam,
April 28. 1817. married Sewell G. Mirick, June 2,
1836 ; Phinehas Alden, see forward ; Winslow Emer-
son, February a. 1821, married, May 30, 1844, Abi-
gail K. Gordan : Abigail Florilla, born August 2,
1823, married, May 30, 1844, E. Savage Keyes ;
Elmira Cordelia, August 21, 1S25, died July 19,
1836 : Samuel B., 1829, died 1887 ; captain Company
K. Fifty-third Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer
Militia. '

(VII) Phinehas Alden Beaman, son of Phinehas
Beaman (6), was born in Princeton, Massachusetts,
January 24, 1819, died there March 1, 1894. He was
educated in the public schools of that town, and
then followed in his father's footsteps and became
a farmer. He was prosperous and successful as a
farmer. In 1857 he took charge of the Princeton
Hotel known as the Wachusett House, which he
conducted with profit until his death. Since then
his sons have conducted it. It is one of the mc <t
attractive hotels in central Massachusetts in the
summer. The nearness of Mt. Wachusett and the
magnificent scenery about Princeton attract many
summer visitors. The firm of P. A. Beaman &
Son also conducted the Summit House on Mt.

husett in summer, until the mountain was made
a state reservation. He was a Democrat in politics
and a ma,n of large influence in public affairs. He
represented his district in the general court for sev-
eral years, was for many years a member of the
board of selectmen, and held other town offices.
He was a member of the Congregational church at
Princeton. He married, April 3, 1844. at Prince-
ton, Harriet Thompson, born July 8, 1820, daugh-
ter of Isaac Thompson, a farmer of Princeton. She
is living at Princeton (1906). Their children are:

1. Algernon Thompson, born at Princeton, Janu-
ary 16, 1847, married (first) Luella Otis, who died
in 1876, leaving a daughter, Harriet Elizabeth, who
married H. P. Houghton; he married (second)
Keziah Heckman, who died in 1905 : their children
were: Luella Otis, Phineas Alden, Ralph Heckman.

2. Ella H., born at Princeton, died young. 3. Harry
G, see forward.

(VIII) Harry Clayton Beaman, youngest child
of Phineas Alden Beaman (7), was born in Prince-
ton, Massachusetts, March 9, 1863. He attended the
public schools there and Williston Seminary at
Easthampton, Massachusetts, where he fitted for
college. He was graduated at Harvard University
in 1885. While in college he took part in athletics
and played on the base ball nine. He and his brother,
Algernon Thompson Beanjan, entered partnership
with their father under the firm name of P. A.
Beaman & Sons to carry on the Wachusett House
and the Summit House in Princeton. Since the
father's death the sons have kept the same firm name
and conducted the hotels as before. Mr. Beaman
is a Republican in politics and is interested in town
affairs. He has served on the school committee
foi several years, and is a trustee of the public
library. For nine years he served the town as
selectman. He attends the Congregational church.

He married. November 10, 1887, Jennie Hoover
Bartlett. of Chillicothe, Ohio. Their children are:
Harry Clayton. Jr.. born October 10, 1888; Bart-
lett, Julv 20, 1891 ; John Alden. November I, 1897;
Anne Safford. February 15, 1899.

STEVENS FAMILY. Colonel Thomas Stevens



(1), of Devonshire, England, was the father of the
three emigrants from whom a large part of the
Stevens families of Massachusetts are descended.
He was the progenitor of Charles F. Stevens, and
George A. Stevens, of Worcester. He was the
armorer of Buttulph Lane, London, who contracted
with the Massachusetts Bay colony and government
in March, 1629, for a supply of arms. He was a
member himself of the Massachusetts Bay Com-
pany, gave fifty pounds to the common stock and
sent three sons, Thomas, Cyprian and Richard, and
one daughter to New England. Mary Stevens
married Captain Whipple, of Ipswich. Thomas and
Cyprian came in 1660 with Captain Green. Cyprian
went to Chelsea and later to Lancaster. Richard
was the father of Samuel Stevens of Marlboro.
Colonel Stevens had another son, William, who re-
mained in London. Colonel Stevens was one of
the signers of the instructions to Captain Endi-
cott before his coming to New England. Richard
Stevens, one of the sons, settled in Concord, Massa-
chusetts, and died there in 1683. His wife and
daughter returned to England to live. Thomas
Stevens came first at the age of twelve in the ship
"Abigail" from London in 1635. He came again
apparently with his brother Cyprian and settled at
Sudbury, where he had by his wife Mary: Ann,
born March 20. 1664; Thomas, April 14, 1665; John,
April 23, 1667; Cyprian, April 19, 1670; Jacob,
March 1, 1674. All of these are on the Sudbury
records.

(II) Cyprian Stevens, son of Colonel Thomas
Stevens (1), was born in England, probably in Lon-
don, though the family was originally in Devon-
shire. He settled first at Rumney Marsh, then re-
moved to Lancaster. He married, January 22, 1672,
Mary Willard, daughter of Simon Willard, of
Lancaster. The first three of his children
were probably born at Lancaster. He had to
leave the town during the Indian wars and he then
lived nearer Boston. He was at Sudbury, where his
brother lived, and while there was given permission
to receive an Indian child of six years in his family.
The Indian child was probably from a friendly
tribe, whose father was serving in the ranks of
the colonists. Cyprian Stevens returned to Lancaster
after the declaration of peace between England and
France. He was a blacksmith by trade. He was
a tavern keeper in 1686, and' was also appointed
to take an account of all the births and deaths in
Lancaster. He was constable in 1690 and clerk of
writs from 1682 to 1686. Mary Willard, who mar-
ried Cyprian Stevens. January 22, 1671-2, was the
daughter of the valiant Major Willard and his
third wife, Mary Dunster, who was a relative of
President Dunster, of Harvard College. The chil-
dren of Cyprian Stevens were : Cyprian, born
November 22, 1672 ; Mary, born November 22,
1672, married Samuel Wright; Dorothy, died
young; Simon, born at Boston, August 13, 1677;
Elizabeth, born in Boston, 1681 ; Joseph.

(III) Deacon Joseph Stevens, son of Cyprian
Stevens (2), was born in Boston, 1683, died at
Rutland, 1769. He settled first in Sudbury, where
the first three children were born. About 1714 he
settled in the town of Framingham, adjoining, where
two children were born. He removed to Rutland
in 1720 and the remainder of his children were
born there. He was proprietor of lots 15 and 56 in
Rutland. Part of his division land was located on
Stevens Hill, and he had two hundred acres on
Turkey Hill adjoining. He settled lot 15, and as he
was one of the first settlers was exposed to the dan-
gers and privations of the early pioneers. He held
many town offices. He was town elerk, first se-






#








t



7




fl^Uiu/^i^^J^L




WORCESTER COUNTY



277



lectman, assessor, treasurer and clerk of the pro-
prietors. He was on the committee to set off
land to the settlers. He was deacon of the church
and captain of the militia. He put up a hovel,
as the Rutland history called it, at the meadow
bordering Stevens brook, five miles from his dwell-
ing, and he went there daily on rackets to feed his
■cattle. August 14, 1723, after family devotions and
breakfast, he and his four sons went to Meeting
House meadow to cut fodder for the winter. They
•were surprised by five hostile Indians. While Cap-
tain Stevens made his escape in the bushes, two
sons, Samuel and Joseph, were slain and scalped
and the other two Phineas and Isaac, carried away
prisoners to Canada. The pluck of Phineas, who
-carried his younger brother on his back when he
was exhausted, saved him from being slaughtered
to get him out of the way or left to die alone in the
forest. It was more than a year before the boys
were redeemed. A subscription was taken in the
Framingham church, where the Stevens family had
been members, April 19, 1724. The father made two
trips to Canada and returned finally with Isaac
August 19, 1725. Isaac was much attached to his
Indian foster mother and would have preferred
to stay with her, it is said. The cost of this ransom
and other misfortunes impoverished Captain
Stevens and he died in want, November 15, 1769.
His widow died 1776. He married Prudence Rice,
daughter of John Rice, of Sudbury, and grand-
daughter of Phineas Rice, of Sudbury, descendant
of Edmund Rice. The children of Joseph and
Prudence (Rice) Stevens were: Captain Phineas,
born February 20, 1706-7, at Sudbury, married
Elizabeth Stevens; he was one of the founders of
Charlestown, New Hampshire, and a noted Indian
■fighter. Azubah, born in Sudbury, October 21,
1708. Samuel, born September, 171 1, (record
torn) killed by the Indians. Mindwell, born in
Framingham, February 24, 1713, married, October
20, 1732, Samuel Stone. Isaac, captured by In-
dians in 1723; married, April 11, 1743, Mercy Hub-
oard, daughter of Captain John Hubbard ; married
(second) Abigail Parling in 1748. Joseph, one
of the elder children, killed by the Indians, August
14, 1723. Dorothy, born March 25, 1720-1, married,
March 7, 1744-5, Andrew Lenard; married (second)
Hannah Pierce, and settled at Oakham, had live
children, Joseph, born July 24, 1723, a month old
when first Joseph was killed. Lucy, born August
4, 1725, married Isaac Bullard, of Rutland district.

(IV) Joseph Stevens, son of Captain Joseph
Stevens (III), was born in Rutland, Massachu-
setts, July 24, 1723. He was the secpnd child of the
name by the same parents. The first Joseph was
killed by the Indians when this Joseph was a month
old. He married Dinah Rice. They settled in Rut-
land and later in Charlton, Massachusetts. Their
children were : John, born at Rutland, September

.28, 1748; Joseph, baptized October 27, 1751, at Rut-
land ; and probably others at Charlton.

(V) John Stevens, son of Joseph Stevens (IV),
was born in Rutland, Massachusetts, September 28,
1748. He was a soldier in the revolution at the
Lexington call in Captain Samuel Curtis's company.
His other service is hard to distinguish from others
■of the name. There were eighty-seven John Stevens
from Massachusetts, according to the revolutionary
rolls. He married Rebecca Marvel, of Sutton (in-
tentions September 7), 1765. He married (second)
Jerusha Nichols, November 23, 1775, at Charlton.
His will is dated March 8. 1823. His children were:
Rachal, married Joel Robinson, February 9, 1797;
Jonathan, born March 24, 1783, died November 3,
3838; John inherited the homestead at Charlton;



Rebecca, married Savory; Jerusha, married,

January 22, 1821, Artemas Merriam; Perley, in-
herited the house where his father died, married
IVrsis Woodbury; Ruth died unmarried; Cvnthia
(Mary).

(VI) Jonathan Stevens, son of John Stevens
(V), was born in Charlton, March 24, 1783, died
there November 3, 1838. He married Elizabeth
Marcy (intentions November 3), 1811. She was
born January 14, 1789, died September 9, 1848. The
children of Jonathan and Elizabeth (Marcy) Stevens
were: I. Barbara, born November 11, 1812, died
April 14, 1849; married Charles G. Button, of Tun-
bridge, Vermont, January 19, 1837. 2. Jonathan,
born October 15, 1814, died October 2, 1842. 3.
Adaline, born May 5, 1S16, died unmarried May 7,
1880. 4. Daniel, born June 30, 1818. 5. Elizabeth
Learned, born December 19, 1820; married Andrew
Sigourney Wetherell, July 14, 1845 ; he was born
January 29, 1817, and their child was Ella Eliza-
beth, born October 23, 1847; died April 30, 1866;
Elizabeth Learned Wetherell, died May, 1904. 6.
Charles Pardon, born September 29, 1829.

(VII) Daniel Stevens, son of Jonathan Stevens
(VI), was born at Charlton, Massachusetts, June
30, 1818. He was brought up in his native town
and attended the district schools there. During the
gold fever in 1850, he went to California with his
brother, Charles P. Stevens. The brothers decided
to return to Worcester, Massachusetts, and there
started the wholesale and retail sash, door and blind
business. Their store was on the present location
of the Federal building. When the government
bought this site for the postoffice Daniel owned
about one-half of it. They were pioneers in the
business and for many years furnished all the sash,
doors and blinds used in the city of Worcester
and vicinity. The firm name was D. & C. P.
Stevens. The business is now owned by the son-
in-law of the senior partner, Franklin B. White,
and run under the old name of*D. & C. P. Stevens
& Co. The brothers were always associated in
business. They later started the grain and hay
business, now owned by George A. Stevens, and
had various other interests in common. Daniel
Stevens died at the time of the great blizzard in
March, i888._

He married Hanna J. Adams, November 29,
1843, the daughter of Clark and Silome Benson
Adams, of Northbridge, Massachusetts. Mrs.
Stevens died January 6, 1892 ; she was born Octo-
ber 19, 1821. Their children were: Cornelia
Adelaide, born October 27, 1844, died September
12, 1846; Emma Cornelia, born November 2, 1849,
married Franklin B. White, of Worcester, and
they have two daughters : Florence and Josephine ;
Julius Daniel, born November 2, 1859, died June
I, i860; Nellie, born December 8, 1861 ; died April
25, 1S80.

(VII) Charles Pardon Stevens, son of Jonathan
Stevens (VI), was born in Charlton, Massachusetts,
September 29, 1829. He spent his youth in his
native town and attended the Charlton schools, Ox-
ford schools and later the Worcester Academy
under Ely Thayer. When gold was discovered in
California, in 1S49, he decided to seek his fortune
there. He spent about a year on a claim in the
gold fields, and then returned to Worcester. Later
he made another trip to Californa, but decided not
to remain there. The brothers returned to Wor-
cester and established the sash, door and blind busi-
ness with which their names have been associated
in Worcester county for fifty years. The business
formerly was located where the Federal building
stands. It has for many years been located in the



278



WORCESTER COUNTY



Stevens building on Southbridge street. At present
the business of D. & C. P. Stevens & Co. is owned
by Franklin B. White, son-in-law of Daniel Stevens.
They were among the first in this line of business
for many year-, and as they supplied a need of
the building business they prospered. The brothers
were partners in all business undertakings. They
owned real estate on Southbridge street and there
built Stevens block. In 1877 they started the grain
business at 32 Southbridge street, in this block,
where it is still carried on by George A. Stevens,
son of the junior partner of the original firm. In
18S1 George A. Stevens became a partner and
naturally succeeded to the business at the death of
his father and uncle. Charles P. Stevens died in
Worcester, May 19, 1885. He married. July 18,
1854, Elizabeth Tucker, who was born in Bridport,
England, January 25, 1835. They had two children :
Charles F., born August 16, 1855; George A., born
born December 12, 1859.

(VIII) Charles Franklin Stevens, son of Charles
P. Stevens (VII), was born in Worcester, Massa-
chusetts, August 16, 1855. His early education was
received in the Worcester schools and in Howe's
Business College. After studying for a time under
private tutors he entered Harvard Law School, from
which he was graduated in 1876 with the degree
of Bachelor of Laws. He returned to the law
school, however, and studied law another year. He
was admitted to the bar at the December term of
the superior court in 1877. In the same year he
was appointed justice of the peace by Governor
Alexander H. Rice. Later he was appointed notary
public by Governor George D. Robinson. He has
practiced his profession in Worcester ever since,
in addition to the care of extensive business and
property interests. During the first five years he
was associated with Hon. Henry L. Parker. He was
admitted to practice in the United States courts,
December 3, 1884. Mr. Stevens is a Republican and
has always taken an active part in public affairs.
He served the city in the common council in 1889-90,
representing ward seven. Mr. Stevens built The
Aurora, a handsome building next to Trinity Church,
Worcester. It is conveniently located for business
on Main street. It is a modern six-story building,
with a marble front, having four stores on the
street floor and a hundred rooms designed and used
as a private hotel and apartment house. It is
well equipped and furnished. Besides the Aurora
he has built several other residential properties. He
builds as an investment, not for sale. He is a
member of the Worcester board of trade.

He married, June 29, 1880, Mary Bradford Good-
ing, daughter of Josephus Gooding, of Bristol, Rhode
Island. Mrs. Stevens traces her descent from a
group of Mayflower ancestors including John How-
land, Thomas Rogers, Governor Bradford, Richard
Warren, John Tilley, his wife and daughter. She
is also descended from Francis Lebaron. Mrs.
Stevens is active in society. She is a member of
Colonel Timothy Bigelow Chapter, Daughters of
the American Revolution. Their children are:
George Gooding, horn April 14, 18S2, was a student



Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 81 of 133)