Ellery Bicknell Crane.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) online

. (page 92 of 133)
Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 92 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

ward settled in Newbury also, but removed to New
Jersey in 1637. Anthony Morse lived in Newbury
till his death in 1686. William Morse married

Elizabeth , about 1635, and they had ten

children. He died at Newbury, November 29, 1683.

Joseph Morse, fourth child of William Morse,
was born at Newbury about 1644; married Mary
and lived at Newbury until his death, Jan-
uary 15, 1678-79; they had five children.

Joseph Morse, second son of Joseph Morse (2),
was born at Newbury, July 26, 1674, and lived
there; married Elizabeth Poor and had ten chil-
dren ; was one of the constituent members of the
Third Church of Newbury in 1725 and was chosen
a member of the Monthly Society by that church
December 7, 1727.

Daniel Morse, second son of Joseph (3) and
Elizabeth (Poor) Morse, was born at Newbury,
March 8, 1694, married Sarah Swain and they had
four children.

Daniel Morse, third son of Daniel (4) and Sarah
(Swain) Morse, was born about 1725-26, and bap-
tized February 25, 1733, at the Third Church in
Newbury; he married Margaret McNeil, of Irish
descent, and resided in Georgetown. The birth of
four children are recorded.

Daniel Morse, first son of Daniel 15) and Mar-
garet (McNeil) Morse, was born in Massachusetts;
married, 1775. Mary Wyman, of Phippsburg, then
Georgetown, and they had eleven children; he
owned and lived on the estate known as Morse's
Mountain in Phippsburg; he died about 1839; he
was a soldier in the revolutionary war. •

Elijah Morse, third son of Daniel (6) and Mary
( Wyman) Morse, was born in Phippsburg about
17S5; married Ann Morrison, who was of Scotch
descent, daughter of Moses Morrison, a soldier in
the revolution, about 1815: was for many years dea-
con of the Free Baptist Church of Small Point,
Phippsburg; their children were — Lucretia, married
Captain William Sprague and had four children;
Percy, married Rebecca Wallace and had five chil-



dren; John L., married Sarah Wallace and had four
children; Arnold; Jane Mary. Elijah, died March
31, 1857-

Jane Mary Morse, fifth child of Deacon Elijah
Morse (7), was born March 18, 1828, at Morse's
Mountain, Phippsburg; married, June 12, 1845,
Stephen D. Berry, as mentioned above. She married
(second), 1858, Byron Campbell, who died Novem-
ber 20, 1903. She is now living with her son, John
Cutting Berry. She had no children during her sec-
ond marriage. The only child of Stephen D. and
Jane Mary (Morse) Berry was John Cutting, men-
tioned below.

(VIII) John Cutting Berry, son of Stephen De-
catur Berry (7), was born January 16, 1847, in the
district of Small Paint, Phippsburg, Sagadahoc coun-
ty, Maine. He was but five years old when his
father died, and he and his mother made their
home with her father, Deacon Elijah Morse, of
Phippsburg, with her brothers, and with a great
uncle, Christopher Small. In these homes the boy
came under the influence of a strong religious life
which did much to shape his character and subse-
quent career. At the age of seventeen years he
united with the church and much of his life since
has been devoted to religious and humanitarian

Dr. Berry was sent to the public schools of his
native town and then to Monmouth (Maine) Acad-
emy. He began to study medicine at the Medical
School of Maine (Bowdoin), was student interne
at the United States Marine Hospital at Port-
and, Maine, and finally completed his under-
graduate studies at Jefferson Medical College
(Philadelphia), from which he graduated in 1871,
at the age of twenty-four years. The finances of
the family obliged him to support and educate him-
self after the age of fifteen years.

On his graduation he was appointed by the
American Board of Commissioners for Foreign
Missions to its newest mission field, as medical mis-
sionary, and after a year of practice in this
country he reached Japan in May, 1872. That
nation was just emerging from her great po-
litical revolution, and her contact with the
civilization of the west so emphasized her own
backwardness and darkness as to make her eager
to receive the rich gifts which the science and re-
ligion of the Occident held out for her acceptance.
What developed later into the largest of the Chris-
tion missions to Japan, with all its Christian, hu-
manitarian and educational work, had but just
begun, and thus at the early age of twenty-five
years Dr. Berry found himself the medical member
of this great missionary organization, and in a coun-
try eager to adopt the Caucasian civilization and the
customs and ideas of Christian nations. Never was
there more to stimulate a young man to large activity
and rapid growth than the conditions surrounding
him during those earlv years. Of his work during
this period Professor W. W. Keen, his old teacher
of anatomy, writes, in substance (Transactions of the
College of Physicians. Philadelphia, Third Series,
Volume IV) : "Dr. Berry arrived in Japan in the
spring of 1872 and was at once appointed the Med-
ical Director of the International Hospital (Eu-
ropean) at Kobe. At the end of nine months his
Japanese medical work had become so arduous that
he resigned his connection with the International
Hospital, and, with the co-operation of native friends,
opened another dispensary in a more central lo-
cality. But in a few months, in order to avail him-
self of proffered government aid. he changed to a
still larger building owned and supported by the
government as a hospital under native management.

During this time he had observed cases of kakke, a
disease closely resembling the beri-beri of India,
but so altered by climate and other influences as to
present distinctive clinical features. Partly to learn
the pathology of this disease, but chiefly to afford his
students an opportunity to study anatomy, he wrote
to the government requesting the privilege of teach-
ing human anatomy by dissection at the hospital,
and asked that the unclaimed bodies of criminals
should be furnished him for this purpose. This
application met with a favorable response. The re-
quest was forwarded to the central government and
in a few days a favorable reply was received, direct-
ing the local authorities to grant the privilege of
dissection. A suitable building for the purpose was
specially constructed and this was opened for use
November 8, 1873. On the day following the receipt
of the first two subjects for dissection, the physi-
cians of the Hiogo prefecture and neighboring
provinces met at the hospital, when the exercises
were opened by reading in Japanese a brief history
of anatomy. After an hour and a half spent in
reading, the circulation of the blood was studied
and then the dissection of the brain demonstrated.
The next day the regular course was begun. In
1875 the government regarded this school with such
favor as to place in it eighteen selected young men.
In the meantime another hospital had been organ-
ized at Himeji, fifty miles away, and four dis-
pensaries within a radius of twenty miles. To this
hospital and to these dispensaries Dr. Berry made
monthly tours, meeting from five hundred to seven
hundred patients each month, besides numerous
physicians from the same localities. In order to in-
struct these physicians didactically as well as clin-
ically, he prepared lesson sheets and sent them to the
nearest dispensary, where they were copied and thence
forwarded to the next. In this way a large number
of native physicians, who could not leave their prac-
tice to come to the school for study, received help-
ful instructions. A feature of the work receiving
special attention was that affording the native pro-
fession, and also the public, information on epi-
demic diseases. Papers on smallpox, typhoid fever,
cholera, etc., were circulated at different times when
epidemics of these diseases occurred or threatened,
while the native press was employed to teach the
masses by articles on house-building, heating, ven-
tilation, drainage, nursing, care of children, personal
and public hygiene, etc. Dr. Berry learned much of
the inner life of Japanese prisons through visiting
the sick in the Hiogo prison with one of his hos-
pital assistants, and at once set himself at work to
effect much needed reforms there. When the re-
quest for permission to visit the prisons was granted
the work of inspection was at once begun, and was
followed by a report in which special stress was
placed upon the following among other topics : A
system of thorough classification ; special education
of prison officials; introduction of industrial labor;
the teaching of trades and the art of self helps ;
the abolition, except under peculiar limitations, of
corporal punishment; making the reformation of the
prisoner, rather than his punishment, the first aim;
importance of preserving domestic ties of prisoner;
value of Christianity as a reformatory agent ; ven-
tilation ; prison architecture ; care of sick, etc. The
report was accepted and acknowledged by the gov-
ernment, published, and sent out to the prisons of
the country." Of this work for the prisons a
Japanese gentleman recently in this country study-
ing our systems of prison management (Mr. To-
mioka) said: "Dr. Berry's report was the beginning
of prison discipline reform in Japan. * * * a
great light in the darkness of our prison sys-

3 J 4


tem." In 1879 in order to open up and establish a
mission station in the interior of the country, he
left Kobe and became Adviser to the Okayama
Prefectural Hospital and Board of Health, where
he remained until he came to America in 1884. Dur-
ing, the last two years of his connection with the
Okayama Hospital the number of patients treated
annually in the hospital was over ten thousand.
After a year of special study in New York he re-
turned to Japan in 1885 to establish the Doshisha
University Hospital and Training School for
Nurses in Kyoto, of which institution he became
medical director. He held this position for ten
years, during six of which he also filled the chair
of Professor of Physiology and Hygiene in the
University. Upon his resignation from the mission
the Prudential Committee of the American Board
took action as follows :

"Tuesday, March 3, 1896, the Prudential Com-
mittee voted to accept the resignation of Dr. J. C.
Berry, Physician and Missionary of the American
Board. But the committee cannot suffer the with-
drawal of so eminent a physician and so conscien-
tious a missionary without bearing testimony to
his distinguished and successful service in Japan. By
his wisdom, ability and energy he has contributed
to elevate the medical profession in that country.
His hospital and Nurses' Training School have been
models of wisdom and efficiency, and his methods
have been adopted by the intelligent and successful
native physicians. He has the confidence of all who
know him, both Americans and Japanese. While
regretting the retirement of Dr. Berry from the
service of the American Board, we are glad of an
opportunity to record our high estimate of his per-
sonal character and of his professional skill."

This action of the board was supplemented by
similar action of his mission and this was further
supplemented by personal letters of members of the
mission urging his return.

For twenty-three years, during the period of na-
tional development of New Japan, he was closely
identified with the religious, humanitarian and edu-
cational movements in that country. The triumph
of sanitation, hygiene, nursing and surgery during
the late war with Russia, when the Japanese made
by far the best record ever known in the world's
history in the prevention of disease and saving of
the sick and wounded, is a personal triumph for
Dr. Berry, one of the pioneer workers along these

His active professional labors and interest in
the general work of the mission prevented much at-
tention to writing, though he gathered abundant
material in his work in Japan. Among the more
important contributions of Dr. Berry to the literature
of medicine are : a monograph on the Climate of
Japan, written for the Congress of Hygiene at the
World's Fair, Chicago, by request of the Japanese
Advisory Committee, and the "Kyoto Memorial for
the Abolition of Licensed Prostitution in Japan," a
document presented to the National Parliament after
wide circulation among the Christian communities
of the Empire. Referring to him and his recent
speeches on the subject of Christian Missions, the
Portland Daily Press said :

"Dr. Berry is a man of large ability and ex-
perience and an impressive speaker, who at once
finds favor with his audience."

In 1885, while in America, Dr. Berry took post-
graduate study in New York, and in 1894 he studied
in Vienna. After leaving Japan he came to Wor-
cester and since then 'las resided in that city, making
a specialty of eye and ear diseases. Dr. Berry was
welcomed in the professional, social and church life

of the city, and has taken a leading position in re-
ligious, charitable and humanitarian work. He has
been president of the Worcester City Missionary
Society for ten years, since 1896. He has been a dea-
con of the Plymouth (Congregational) Church since
1900. He is a corporate member of the American
Board of Commissioners of Foreign Missions, and
a member of the board of directors of the Wor-
cester Young Men's Christian Association. He is
president of the Memorial Home for the Blind,
Worcester. He was formerly, president of the Wor-
cester Congregational Club, of which he is still a
member, as also of the Worcester Economic Club.

He is at present ophthalmic and aural surgeon to
the Worcester City Hospital, and visiting ophthal-
mologist to the Baldwinville Hospital Cottages. He
is a member of the Massachusetts Medical Society,
of the American Medical Association, also of the
New England Ophthalmological Society, Boston, and
of the Jefferson College Alumni Association.

Dr. Berry's four great-grandfathers were all sol-
diers in the revolution as indicated in the gen-
ealogical sketch above, and he is a member and at
present vice-president of the Worcester Chapter,
Sons of the American Revolution. He was formerly
president of the Natives of Maine, a Worcester so-
ciety organized for social purposes.

Dr. Berry married, April 10, '1872, Maria Eliza-
beth Gove, youngest daughter of Hartley and Eveline
(Hill) Gove, of Bath, Maine. (See sketch of Gove
family below). Their children are: 1. Edward Gove,
born at Kobe, Japan, January 6, 1874, died at birth.
2. Evelyn Morse, born at Kobe, Japan, April 22,
1876, died January 4, 1877. 3. Katherine Fiske, born
at Bath, Maine, August 31, 1877, baptized in Bath
the following year by Rev. John 0. Fiske, D. D. 4.
Gordon, born in Okayama, Japan, March 7, 1880,
baptized by Rev. M. L. Gordon, D. D., at Osaka,
Japan, May, 1S80. 5. Helen Cary, born at Okayama,
Japan, November 24, 1882. 6. Almira Field, born at
Kyoto, Japan, April 17, 1887, baptized by Rev. J.
D. Davis, D. D., of Hiezan, near Kyoto, in August,
same year; united with Plymouth Church, Worces-
ter, January, 1901 ; died March 31, 1901.

(IX) Katherine Fiske Berry, daughter of
John Cutting Berry (8), was born at Bath, Maine,
August 31, 1877. Her early education was received in
Japan from her parents and private teachers. In 1893
she returned to the United States by way of Germany,
where six months were spent in study. After a year
in the Newton high school, Massachusetts, she went
to the Burnham school at Northampton, where she
graduated to enter Smith College in 1898. Standing
high in her classes, she at the same time found time
for many college activities, among which may be
mentioned membership in the Oriental Club, the
college choir and the Alpha Society (of which she
was alumnae secretary for a time). She was promi-
nently interested in the "dramatic" life there; con-
tributed frequently to the college Literary Monthly;
was vice-president of the Missionary society during
her junior year; and served on various committees.

Graduating in 1902, when she received the degree
of A. B., she came to Worcester with her parents.
Since then she has been secretary of the Consumers
League of Worcester and secretary and treasurer
of the Smith College Club of Worcester. _ She has
been active in the Young Women's Christian Asso-
ciation, and was for two years chairman of the en-
tertainment committee. From 1902 to 1905 she was
principal of the primary department of the Plym-
outh Sunday school, Worcester, of which church
she is a member.

(IX) Gordon Berry, son of John Cutting
Berry (8), was born in Okayama, Japan March 7,



1880. With the exception of a short visit to America
he remained in that country until thirteen years of
age, when the family returned to the United States,
via Europe. His early education, begun by his parents
and private teachers in Japan, was continued in Ger-
many for six months ; then in Massachusetts, where
he graduated from Worcester Academy in 1898 and
from Amherst College four years later. Deciding
to study medicine, he now entered the University
of Michigan, where he obtained his degree of Doctor
of Medicine in June, 1906. A few of the activities
of his school life may be mentioned : At Amherst
he became a member of the Chi Phi Greek letter
fraternity; he made the track team in his freshman
year; his junior year was spent at Colorado Col-
lege, where he was in the Glee and Mandolin Clubs ;
at Michigan he joined the Nu Sigma Nu medical
fraternity; for two years he played on the Uni-
versity Golf team; during his second year he was
state water analyst in the University Hygiene Lab-
oratories. On graduation he accepted the position
of second assistant in ophthalmology in the medical
department of the University of Michigan. During
the summer of 1906 he passed the state medical
board examinations in both Michigan and Massa-
chusetts, and was appointed to the position of house
officer in the Worcester City Hospital, the term of
service to begin in April, 1907. He is a member
of Plymouth Church, Worcester.

(IX) Helen Cary Berry, daughter of John Cut-
ting Berry (8), was born at Okayama, Japan, No-
vember 24, 1882. Her early education was re-
ceived in Japan from her parents and members of
the mission. In 1903 she came to America with the
family by way of Europe, stopping for study in
Hanoyer, Germany. On finishing her grammar
school course at Worcester, she entered the Classical
high school, graduating in 1901. Remaining another
year for special work, she then entered Wheaton
Seminary, Norton, Massachusetts, graduating in 1904.
Here she was the junior class vice-president and
president of the senior class. In every branch of the
school life — athletic, theatrical, musical, social — she
took an active and prominent part. In 1903 she repre-
sented the seminary as a delegate to the Silver Bay
Conference of Lake George, and at graduation was
chosen as one of the Commencement speakers.
During 1904-06 she attended the Lucy Wheelock
Kindergarten Training School, Boston, graduating
in June of the latter year; she was vice-president
of her class in her junior and senior years, and
wrote the Class Will and Grinds at graduation.
She was elected assistant secretary of the Wheelock
Alumnae Association. She passed the kindergarten
certificate examinations in New York city, June,
1906, and a similar examination in Worcester, where
she has been appointed teacher in the public schools
for 1907. She is vice-president of the Worcester
Wheaton Club, and member of Plymouth Church.

(IX) Almira Field Berry, daughter of John
Cutting Berry, early developed into a child of un-
usual attractiveness and promise. At the age of
thirteen she showed remarkable musical talent, while
in character she was exceptionally affectionate, tact-
ful and winsome. Six months before her death she
entered the Ninth Grade School, and concerning
her life there Principal Vermille wrote as follows:
"She was earnest and faithful always, and diligent
and careful in all her work. She was open-hearted
and sincere in all her thoughts and deeds. Such
sunshine was in her disposition and so quaintly wise
her sayings — trusting and affectionate in all her
ways, helpful to her classmates and a continual
blessing to her teachers. The 'clouds of glory' were
still with her. * * * "Her memory will be a help

and an example to her teachers and classmates as
long as they live."

Her school work was selected as among the best
in her grade for the exposition.

ELIZABETH GOVE) was born at Bath, Maine,
December 18, 1846, the youngest of ten children of
Hartley and Eveline (Hill) Gove, of Bath, Maine.
Her parents were married at Phippsburg, December
8, 1825, by Rev. J. W. Ellingwood.

(VII) Harley Gove was born in Edgecomb, Lin-
coln county, Maine, November 10, 1800, and died
September 29, 1859. He was the third son of John
and Betsey (Leeman) Gove.

(VI) John Gove, father of Hartley Gove, was son
of Ebenezer Gove, and an early settler in the state
of Maine.

(V) Ebenezer Gove, father of John Gove settled
about the time of the revolution in Edgecomb, which
was incorporated in 1774. He was captain of the
first Edgcomb Company, Third Lincoln County Regi-
ment, in 1776. (Mass. Archives). There is no record
of any service in New Hampshire. From his rank
it may be presumed that he was an officer before
the revolution and very likely served in the French
and Indian war. In 1786 he was an appraiser and
on the committee to partition the estate of William
Hodge, of Edgecomb. He helped settle the estate
of Nathaniel Leeman of Edgecomb. Betty Leeman,
the widow, was appointed administratrix August 7,
1792. He helped make the inventory of estate
of Joseph Decker of Edgecomb in 1795. He died
in the fall of 1796. His widow Mary was appointed
administratrix September 12, 1796, with Ebenezer
Gove (doubtless the eldest son) and William Mc-
Cobb as sureties. His inventory amounted to
$7-/69-35- These records show that he lived and
died at Edgecomb.

(IV) Ebenezer Gove, father or uncle of Eben-
ezer, was born in Hampton, February 15, 1703;
married Elizabeth Stuart.

(Ill) Ebenezer Gove, father of Ebenezer, was
born in Hampton, June 23, 1671 ; married, December
20, 1692, Judith Sanborn, daughter of John San-
born. (See new Sanborn Genealogy). Ebenezer
lived at Hampton.

(II) Edward Gove, father of Ebenezer. was born
in 1639. He settled in Hampton, New Hampshire,
became very prominent citizen. (See histories of
Cambridge and Watertown, Massachusetts ; Hamp-
ton, New Hampshire, and Salisbury, Massachu-
setts). He headed a movement to overthrow Gov-
ernor Cranfield of New Hampshire. The effort
failed and he and ten others, including his son
John, were tried for treason. He was sentenced to
death and his estate seized ; the others were con-
victed but pardoned. He spent three years in prison
in the Tower of London, but was finally pardoned
and his estates restored. He is the ancestor of all
the New Hampshire and Maine families of which
any record can be found and it is fair to conclude
that he must be the progenitor of the Edgecomb
branch. Moreover he had a son Ebenezer, and there
seems good reason to believe that he was grand-
father of Captain Ebenezer.

(I) John Gove (Gobe or Goffe), father of Ed-
ward, was born in England in 1604 : settled in
Charlestown, Massachusetts, and admitted freeman
May 22, 1638. He was admitted to the church May
3, 1647. He was a dealer and worker in brass. His
will was dated January 22, 1647. His widow Sarah,
born 1601. married (second) John Mansfield. The
descendants of John are found in Watertown, Cam-
bridge and vicinity.



(VI) Eveline (Hiil) Gove, mother of Mrs. John
C. Berry, was the fourth of nine children of Mark
Langdon and Mary (McCobb) Hill, of Georgetown,
Maine, now Phippsburg. Her parents were married
at New Castle, February 14, 1797, and Eveline was
born August 13, 1804, and baptized August 26 fol-
lowing; died May 24, 1878. She was an active
member of the Winter Street Church, Bath, Maine.

(V) Mark Langdon Hill was born June 30, 1772,
the son of Jeremiah and Mrs. Mary (Storer by first
marriage) Hill (nee Mary Langdon, sister of Gov.
John Hill of New Hampshire). On the death of
Hill. Mary married a third time. Widower Mc-
Cobb, whose daughter by his earlier marriage, mar-
ried her son Mark Langdon Hill (as above.V). He
was a prominent business man at Phippsburg on the '
Kennebec river, was judge of the court of probate

Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 92 of 133)