Ellery Bicknell Crane.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) online

. (page 97 of 133)
Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 97 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


in the town. During the civil war he had charge
of raising the town's quota of troops on the various
calls of the government. He was a justice of the
peace, and well posted on the law and statutes. In
politics he was a Democrat. He represented his dis-
trict in the New Hampshire legislature for several
years, was selectman of Washington several terms,
was also overseer of the poor and chairman of the
board of assessors of his town. He trained with the
militia when a young man.

He married, November 5, 1840, Emeline Huntley,
who died May 18, 1874. She was the daughter of
William and Emeline Huntley, of Marlow, New
Hampshire. Her father was a farmer and miller.
Children of James and Emeline Barney were: Alfred
James, born in Washington. April 28, 1845, died
February 26. 1904; married (first) Celia Spaulding,

March, 1867; (second) ; he is a physician,

residing in St. Louis, and has a child, Agnes L.,
born May 7, 1868. William Huntley, born Septem-
ber 30. 1847, married Diskie Sparling, of Acworth,
New Hampshire, December 9, 1875, resides at Ac-
worth. Luthera C, born December II, 1848, mar-
ried, July 4, 1866, George H. Fletcher ; now living
at 221 Webster avenue, Providence, Rhode Island.
Catherine C, born January 10, 1851, married Luther
Wilkins, of Antrim, New Hampshire, and they
have one daughter — Edith. Franklin Pierce, born
May 23, 1856, see forward.

(VII) Franklin Pierce Barney, son of James
Barney (6), was born in Washington. New Hamp-
shire, May 23, 1856. He was educated in the com-
mon schools of Washington and at the MeCollum
Academy at Mount Vernon, New Hampshire. At
the age of nineteen he went to work for Benjamin
Kendall on his farm at Washington, where he re-
mained two years, attending school during the win-
ter terms. When he came of age he removed to



33°



WORCESTER COUNTY



Bellows Falls, Vermont, where he was employed by
the Bellows Falls Paper Company for a year. He
then went to Gardner, Massachusetts, where he
learned the trade of chair making, and worked in
the chair factories of the Heywoods, Dunns, and
Pierces. He remained there until 1885, when he re-
moved to Ac worth, New Hampshire, and bought
a one hundred and sixty acre farm known as the
old Houston place. After four years on this farm,
he returned to Gardner and worked for five years
for Heywood Bros, in the manufacture of chairs.
He then bought a farm in the eastern part of
Gardner (formerly called the Stacy farm), and con-
ducted it for twelve years, together 'with an ex-
tensive retail milk business. He then moved to
Lunenburg, Massachusetts, having sold his farm,
and entered the employ of George N. Proctor and
was in charge of his farm for three years. Subse-
quently he was in charge of the farm work at the
Fitchburg jail for one year. In April, 1906, he
purchased the farm of Dr. Wallis, on Lancaster
avenue, Lunenburg, where he is now living. As a
farmer Mr. Barney is progressive and well posted,
and is recognized as a man of sound business
judgment, able, energetic and successful.

He is a member of the Baptist denomination in
religion. In politics he is an Independent. He be-
longs to Mt. Roulstone Lodge, No. 98, Odd Fellows,
of Fitchburg, of Pearl Hill Lodge, No. 47, Rebekahs.
of Fitchburg, of Gardner Grange, Patrons of Hus-
bandry, and of the Massachusetts Cattle Owners'
Association.

He married, November 23, 1880, Minnie Edna
Wilbur, daughter of Leprelate and Mary Jane
(Searle) Wilbur, of Gardner. Massachusetts. Her
father was a painter and decorator, corporal in
Company G. Fifty-third Regiment, Massachusetts
Volunteer Militia, during the civil war. The chil-
dren of Franklin Pierce and Minnie Edna Barney
are: William Alfred, born August 29, i88r, died
November 4. 1883 ; Grover Cleveland, born July 25,
1884, clerk in the Goodrich clothing store, Fitch-
burg, resides at home in Lunenburg with his
parents.

MANSON DANA HAWS. Edward Haws (1),
the immigrant ancestor of Manson D. Haws, was
in Dedham. Massachusetts, in 1648, when he was
employed to plaster the meeting house. He was
a farmer and mason. He married, April 15, 1648,
Eliony Lumber. He died June 28, 1686. His will
was proved December 17, 1689. He made bequests
to his wife Eliony and children : Daniel, John, Na-
thaniel. Joseph. Lydia Gay, Hannah Mason, Abigail
Vales and Deborah Pond. Their children were:
Lydia, born January 26, 16J8-9; Mary, born Novem-
ber 4, 1650: Daniel, born February 10, 1652-3, mar-
ried Aliel Gay, January 23, 1677-8, had a daughter
Mary at Dedham : Hannah, born February 1, 1654-5,
married John Mason, January 5. 1676-7: John, born
December 17, 1656. married Sarah Deering, May 27,
1683, had a family in Dedham: Nathaniel, born
August 14, 1660. married Sarah Rocket, widow of
Deacon Rocket (Rockwood), May 6, 1718, had eight
children recorded in Dedham : Abigail, born Octo-
ber 2, 1662; Joseph, born August 9. 1664, married

Deborah . and had four children in Dedham;

Deborah, born September 1, 1666.

(II) John Haws, son of Edward Haws (1),
was born in Dedham. December 17, 1656. He mar-
ried Sarah Deering, May 27, T683. She was prob-
ably daughter of Samuel Deering. of Braintree, Mas-
sachusetts. He lived at Dedham. Their children
were: Mary, born February to. 1683-4; Sarah, born
16S6; Lidia, born August 22, 1697, married Joseph



Pratt, January 27, 1719-20; Abigail, born February

5, [699-1700; Samuel, married Elizabeth .

1 111 ) Samuel Haws, son of John Haws (2) and
Sarah Deering, his wife, owned the covenant and
was baptized at the Dedham Church, May 31, 1724.

He married Elizabeth . Their children were :

Zaccheus, born April 20, 1728; Samuel, baptized at
Dedham, October 10, 1731 ; Abigail, born September
2 4, I 733', a son, born February 18, 1735-6; Deering,
born November 7, 1729.

(IV) Zaccheus Haws, son of Samuel Haws (3),
was born at Dedham, Massachusetts, April 20, 1728.
He married Mary Smith, of Roxbury, Massachu-
setts, August 17, 1753. He married (second), De-
cember 24, 1767, or March 9, 1768, Subiah Wight,
of Dedham. He removed to Sherborn, Massachu-
setts. Their children were: Benjamin, born at
Dedham, August 30, 1754, married Sarah Leland;
Zaccheus, born April 10, 1760; Ichabod, only child
born in Sherborn, July 22, 1767.

(V) Benjamin Haws, son of Zaccheus Haws
(4), was born at Dedham, August 30, 1754. His
parents probably moved from Sherborn to Stoughton-
ham. He married, October 14, 1775, Mary Sumner,
of Dedham. They settled (?) at Sherborn. He mar-
ried (second) Sarah Leland, of Sherborn. He re-
moved to Leominster in 1796, and was a manu-
facturer of boots and shoes there. He remained in
active business until seventy-six years of age. His
son Amos continued the business and later his
grandson, Manson D. Haws. Their children were :
Olive, born April 29, 1780, married Joshua Derby,
of Wrentham ; Sarah, born October 28, 1783 ; Amos,
born June 16, 1794.

(VI) Amos Haws, son of Benjamin Haws (5),
was born at Sherborn, Massachusetts, June 16, 1794.
He married Mary Forbush. He continued his
father's boot and shoe business and also conducted
his farm there. Later he operated a grist mill and
dealt in flour and grain. He had the military rank
of major. His son Manson succeeded to the boot
and shoe business. Their children were: Manson D.,
born August 28, 1817 ; Stow Forbush, of whom later ;
Russell L., born March 22, 1823.

(VII) Manson Dana Haws, son of Amos Haws
(6), was born at Leominster, Massachusetts, Au-
gust 28, 1817. He is one of the oldest and most
successful business men of his native town. He
was educated for the most part in the public
schools of Leominster. When he was sixteen years
old he decided to learn the trade of shoemaker. His
father and grandfather had been shoemakers. So
he went to Fitchburg, as his father had sold his
business, and served a year of his apprenticeship
in the shop of Manassa and John Sawyer. He com-
pleted his apprenticeship in the shop of James
Whittemore in Worcester. In 1838 he was offered
the position of superintendent of the shoe depart-
ment in the Worcester Insane Asylum, but he de-
clined it and worked at his trade in Sterling and
Randolph, Massachusetts. In June, 1839, at the re-
quest of Bartimus Tenney who had purchased the
business of Major Amos Haws. Manson returned to
Leominster to begin the manufacture of boots and
shoes in the old shop. From June 9, 1839. to
November 1, 1885, when he retired. Manson D. Haws
continued this business successfully. At first the
factory produced both boots and shoes for men
and women. After a time the firm made a specialty
of ladies shoes, though manufacturing some men's
shoes all the while. The shop where he began busi-
ness stood nearly opposite his present residence. A
new factory was erected in 1850. Two large addi-
tions have been made to increase the facilities and
provide for steam power.



mm*






^%> . Q>. &e^



<hf



WORCESTER COUNTY



33*



Mr. Haws grow up with the modern shoe manu-
facturing of New England and experienced many of
the changes that his trade has undergone in the past
fifty years. He conducted his business alone and
sold his own goods. The kind of attention that
he gave to his factory is shown by the fact that
among his help for forty-six years there was no
enforced idleness, and the shop was never shut down
except for a brief period on account of alterations
when the addition was built. He considered the
needs and wishes of his employes when manufac-
turing had to be done at a loss, and kept the ma-
chinery going just the same. In some ways Mr.
Haws set an admirable example to employes. Mr.
Haws kept his business within such bounds that he
could give it always his own personal attention.
In 1X85 he retired from business and rented his
factory to O. H. Smith.

He has occupied many positions of honor and
trust. In 1862 he represented the town in the gen-
eral court. For six years he was on the board of
selectmen and for three years chairman. He was
appointed a justice of the peace in 1876. He has
often been moderator, a position of high honor in
the Massachusetts system of town government. He
was active in the movement to provide a proper
water supply for the town. He was a member of
the committee to select the source of supply and
to procure necessary legislation for the town. In
financial circles Mr. Haws has been prominent for
many years. His well-tested business ability, his
knowledge of men and investments have made him
one of the financial leaders of Leominster and the
vicinity. He was a director of the First National
Bank, a trustee and member of the board of invest-
ment of the Leominster Savings Bank. In 1875 he
was elected a director of the Rollstone National
Bank of Fitchburg, a position he has held ever
since. He is also trustee of the Worcester North
Savings Institution of Fitchburg, a position he has
held since 1879. and vice-president at the present
time. He has been administrator and executor of
many important estates. He is a director of the
Fitchburg Street Railway Company. In politics he
is a Republican. He recently presented a beautiful
chapel to the cemetery at Leominster. It is called
the Haws Memorial Chapel. In religious convictions
Mr. Haws is a Unitarian of the old school, and
has been during all his life an active and in-
fluential member of the First Congregational (Uni-
tarian) Society of Leominster.

He married, March 5, 1843, Lucy Ann Graham,
of Lunenburg, Massachusetts. They have had no
children.

(VII) Stow F. Haws, son of Amos Haws (6),
early in life learned the chair making business.
After his father sold the flour, grain and lumber
mill that he bought, he subsequently built (prob-
ably) one of the best flour, grain and lumber mills
then in North Worcester county, and he educated
Stow F. to do work, and have the care of the flour
and grain department of that mill. After a term of
years his father (because of ill health), desired
Stow F. to buy the mills, informing him that all
he wanted from him for the mills was his note,
probabb- about $10,000 or $12,000, but great con-
scientious caution prevented him from accepting
the generous offer. Stow F. subsequently was sta-
tion agent at North Leominster for the Fitchburg
Railroad Company for a long term of years, and the
company never had to pay one dollar for any damage
or expense caused by any neglect of duty on his
part. His great caution prevented him from ever
engaging in anv active business for himself, but he
interested himself in his brother's shoe manufac-



turing business, and made himself very useful for a
term of years. Stow F. was nominated with Man-
son I', by their brother, Russell L., and subsequently
appointed by judge of probate, with Manson 1)., to
be an executor and trustee under the will of their
brother, Russell L., in 1867: Stow F. kept the
record of the executor's account, and of the trustee's
account until 1890, in July of which year he died.
Stow F. resided on the old homestead estate, and
had the care of the same during his lifetime.

(VII) Russell Lorenzo Hawes, son of Amos
Haws (6), was born at Leominster, Massachusetts,
March 22. 1S23, died February 20, 1867, at Nice,
France. He was a brother of Manson D. Haws,
although he preferred the spelling Hawes. Both
the brothers became distinguished men, but in totally
different fields of activity. Russell L. began the
study of medicine with the family physician at
Leominster, attended lectures at Boston and New-
York, and graduated from the Harvard Medical
School in 1845. He very soon began the practice
of his profession in Worcester, but he developed a
genius for mechanical invention that fortunately was
developed. His attention was attracted by the paper
making machinery in the mills of Goddard, Rice &
Co., and he made several valuable improvements
and was sent to Europe on business for the firm.
After his return he developed the envelope machine,
by which the first machine-made envelopes were
successfully made. His machine made possible the
great envelope industry of which Worcester is an
important centre. Dr. Hawes made many other
important inventions and improvements in machines,
among them the Gaines printing press, a wrygler
used in woolen manufacture, a machine for making
paper bags and one for printing wall paper. During
the latter years of his life he was associated with
George T. Rice and Benjamin Bottomly in woolen
manufacturing at Cherry Valley. He was one of
the original directors of the Worcester Gaslight
Company, a director of the Worcester Bank, a mem-
ber of the Massachusetts Medical Society and of
the Worcester County Mechanics' Association. He
became wealthy from the income of his inventions.
He certainly ranks among the greatest mechanical
minds of his day. His genius is probably not fully
anoreciated because his work cannot be understood
by the public.

Hannibal Hamlin Houghton, who was an in-
ventor of note, says of Dr. Hawes : "It was Dr.
Hawes who passed over to me the sewing machine
which I perfected. Then came the wonderful ma-
chine for making envelopes, which I successfully
worked out from the doctor's ideas in the room on
the fourth floor of the shop of Goddard, Rice &
C.. on Union street opposite the present new fire
department headquarters." The combination of rare
inventive genius with remarkable business ability
in a man whose chosen profession is supposed to
require neither of these qualities produced all in
all one of the great men of Worcester at one of its
periods of rapid and important development.

He married, October 5, 1858. at Lowell. Massa-
chusetts. Susie A. Fuller, daughter of Elisha and
Susan Fuller. They had two daughters and one
son.

ISAAC CHENERY RICHARDSON. Samuel
Richardson (1). the immigrant ancestor of Isaac
Chenery Richardson, of Holden, Massachusetts, was
one of the famous three brothers who founded Wo-
burn or rather were most prominent among the first
settlers of Woburn, Massachusetts. He was bom
in England about 1610. His name first appears on
the records of New England. July 1, 1636, when he



332



WORCESTER COUNTY



was elected on a committee at Charlestovvn to
lay out lots of hay land. He and his brother Thomas
were granted house lots in that town in 1637. He
was admitted to the church, February 18, 1637-38,
and a freeman May 2, 1638. He served in the office
of highway surveyor, March 17, 1636-37. The record
shows that the three brothers Richardson had lots
on the Misticke side and above the Ponds (Maiden),
April 20, 1638. The three brothers and four others,
Edward Convcrs, Edward Johnson, John Monson
and Thomas Graves, were appointed a committee to
settle the church and town affairs of what became
the town of Woburn, and by virtue of that appoint-
ment these men are the founders of the town. The
church was constituted August 14, 1642, by the three
brothers and three others, and the homes of the
Richardson brothers and their descendants, built on
the same street, were called Richardson's Row. This
street runs north and south and is located in the
present town of Winchester, near the Boston &
Lowell Railroad, and is now part of Washington
street. Samuel's house was near the residence of
the late Luther Richardson. He was selectman of
Woburn 1644-45-46-50-51. In 1645 he was the largest
taxpayer, Captain Edward Johnson being the sec-
ond on the list. He died suddenly, intestate, March
23, 1657-58. His family then consisted of four sons
and two daughters. The widow and eldest son John
administered the estate.

He married Joanna . who joined the church

at Charlestovvn, September 9, 1639. Her will was
dated June 20, 1666, and was proved 1677. Their
children, the first two born at Charlestown, the
others at Woburn, were : Mary, baptized February
28. 1637-38, married Thomas Mousall, son of John ;
John, born November 12, 1639 ; Hannah, born March
8. 1641-42, died April 8, 1642; Joseph', born July
27, 1643, married Hannah Green ; Samuel, Jr., born

May 22, 1646, married Martha and (second)

Hannah Kingsbury; Stephen, born August 15, 1649,
married Abigail Warren ; Thomas, born December
31, 1651, died September 27, 1657; Elizabeth.

(II) Lieutenant John Richardson, son of Sam-
uel Richardson (1), was baptized at Charlestown,
November 12, 1639, and was doubtless born there
the preceding month. He passed his life in Wo-
burn as a yeoman or farmer. He was town con-
stable in 1675, served in King Philip's war, 1675-76,
was admitted freeman 1678, selectman 1690-91-92.
He died intestate, January 1, 1696-97. His burial
place in Woburn is marked by a gravestone. He
married, when less than nineteen years old, Octo-
ber 22, 1658, Elizabeth Bacon, born January 4,
1641-42, aged seventeen, daughter of Michael Bacon,
one of the original inhabitants of Woburn. Richard-
son married (second), at Cambridge, October 28,
1672, Mary Pierson, daughter of Bartholomew and
Ursula Pierson, then of Woburn, late of Water-
town. He married (third), June 25, 1689, Margaret
Wiling, who died October 28, 1726. Children of
John and Joanna Richardson were : John, born Janu-
ary 24, 1660, married Susanna Davis ; Joseph, born
January 3, 1666-67, died February 13, 1697-98, a
cripple. Children of John and Mary were: Pierson,
born September 22, 1673, married Mary Perrin ;
Jacob, born February 15, 1675, see forward; Will-
iam, born June 29. 1678, died August I, 167S. Chil-
dren of John and Margaret Richardson : Willing,
born August 5, 1692, died March 14, 1704; Job,
born April 30, 1696, married Sarah Cleveland.

(III) Jacob Richardson, son of John Richard-
son (2), was born in Woburn, Massachusetts, Feb-
ruary 15, 1675-76, died August 9, 1763. He settled
in Woburn and was a leading citizen. He was
selectman in 1734. He married, November 9, 1697,



Hannah Converse, born June 12, 1680, daughter of
Major James and Hannah (Carter) Converse, of
Woburn. Hannah Carter was born in Woburn,
January 19, 1650, daughter of Captain John Carter,
one of the seven founders of Woburn in 1641.
Jacob Richardson's will was made 1750 and proved
1763. Children: Jacob, born September 3, 1699,
married Elizabeth Wyman ; Hannah, born April 7,
1701, married Benjamin Belknap, May 19, 1726;
Elizabeth, born February 18, 1702-03, married, July
2. 1728, Isaac Richardson; Edward, born March 12,
1704-05, see forward; Esther, born June 25, 1707,
married, June 27, 1733, Captain Benjamin Wyman;
Enoch, born May 26, 1709, married Mary Johnson;
Patience, born July 15. 171 1, married, April 10,
1744, Thomas Wright; Sarah, born March 9, 1714;
James, born April 23, 1716, died July 12, 1716.

(IV) Edward Richardson, son of Jacob Richard-
son (3), was born in Woburn, Massachusetts, March
12, 1705, died there June 22, 1793, aged eighty-eight
years. He resided in Woburn until 1735 or later,
and then settled on South street, Reading, an adja-
cent town. His will was dated April 17, 1793. and
proved September 3, 1793. He married, April 14,
1730, Jerusha Wyman, born at Woburn, July 23,
1712, died April 10, 1782, daughter of Benjamin and
Elizabeth (Hancock) Wyman, of Woburn. Her
sister Elizabeth married his brother, Jacob Richard-
son. Children: Jeremiah, born August 18, 1731;
Barnabas, born March 16, 1733-34, married Rebecca
Tidd ; the first two were born at Woburn, the fol-
lowing at Reading: Zadok, born May 17, 1739, mar-
ried Sarah Brooks ; Edward, Jr., born August 23,
1743, see forward; Jethro, born June 8, 1747, mar-
ried Hannah Richardson

(V) Edward Richardson, son of Edward Richard-
son (4), was born at Reading, Massachusetts, Au-
gust 25, 1743. died November 17, 1837, aged ninety-
four years. He resided in the eastern part of Wo-
burn in "Button End." He married, October 6,
1763, Sarah Tidd, born November 8, 1743. daughter
of Samuel and Phebe (Sawyer) Tidd, of Woburn.
She died December 25, 1821, aged seventy-eight
years. Children: Bridget, born February II, 1764,
married Stephen Richardson ; Heman, born January
21, 1766, see forward; Jerusha, born February 14,
1768, married Asa Richardson; Sarah, born April
11. 1770. married Bartholomew Richardson,; Hepsi-
bah, born May 4, 1775. married, June 3, 1795,
Timothy Wright; Edward, born September 17. 1777,
married (first) Hannah Perkins, (second) Lydia
Foster; Samuel Tidd, born May 5, 1780, married
(first) Esther Richardson and (second) Betsey
Carter; Job, born August 17, 1782, married Nancy
Richardson; Phebe. born August 27, 1785, mar-
ried. May 31, 1808, Luther Parker; Jason, born Au-
gust 7. 1788, married Mary Wyman.

(VI) Heman Richardson, son of Edward Rich-
ardson (5), was born in Woburn, Massachusetts,
January 21, 1766. At the age of twenty-one he
settled in Holden, Massachusetts. He^ was a tanner
by trade and was also a farmer. He died at Holden,
June 5, 1844, aged seventy-eight years. He bought
"his tannery of John Watson, December _ 23, 1789,
for one hundred and twenty pounds, including seven-
teen acres of land. It was located about half a
mile from Holden Centre. His son, Edward Richard-
son, sold the tannery in the spring of 1850 to Sam-
uel Warren. (See Warren family sketch.) Heman
Richardson was prominent. He was selectman of
Holden in 1806-07 -08-09-10-11. He married, June
2, 1790, Mary Parker, of Bedford, born June 2,
1772. died April 29, 1830. He married (second)
Lvdia Davis in 1832. She died in 1852, leaving
her property to her brother, Paul Davis. Children



WORCESTER COUNTY



333



of Heman and Polly (Mary) Richardson were:
Polh'. born February 13, 1792, married (first) Daniel
Davis and (second) Rufus Fuller; Heman, born
November 23, 1793, married Sally Barber and Lydia
Davis; Sybel, born August 31, 1796, married, Octo-
ber 26, 1820, John Barber, of Benson, Vermont ;
Roxanna ; Samuel, born October 24, 1802; John,
born July 15, 1805, married, November 27, 1826,
Sarah Chaffin ; Edward, born March 27, 1809, see
forward; Merrill, born October 4, 1811; Isaac
Chenery. born September 28, 1814.

(VII) Edward Richardson, son of Heman Rich-
ardson (6), was born in Holden, Massachusetts,
March 27, 1809. He was educated in the district
schools of his native town, and during his youth
worked on his father's farm. At the age of twenty
he began to learn the trade of tanner of his father
and continued to work with his father in this busi-
ness many years. He was employed in the Davis
tannery at Holden for about two years. He went
into business for himself at South Royalston as the
proprietor of a grist mill and saw mill. Then he
hired a mill at Rutland and conducted it a year
or so. He finally bought a farm in the west part



Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 97 of 133)