Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 102 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 102 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


riet, wife of J. T. Purvis, of Niles Yalley. Mr. Herrington died in 1861, and his
wife in 1866.

Chaeles Heeeixgton, second son of Eeuhen Herrington, was bom in
Shippen township, Tioga county, December 23, 1821, was reared upon the home-
stead, and obtained a good education in the district schools and at Wellsboro
Academy. When twenty-one years of age he opened a store near Gaines, in Potter
county, but one year later removed to Middlebury, Tioga county, where he continued
merchandising four years, when the store was burned. He had also followed lum-
bering in Potter county, which business he continued up to 1859, when he pur-
chased his present farm in Delmar township. Mr. Herrington was married in 1849,
to Sarah J., a daughter of John Mathers, who has borne him seven children, viz:



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 759



William M., a traveling salesman; Charles L., deceased; Happy, wife of Edward
Bryden, of Wellsboro; Sadie, John P., Carrie, and Jennie, wife of Dr. Charles
Main, of Clearfield county. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal
church, and in polities, adherents of the Eepublican party.

John Buenett was born in Ontario county. New York, April 18, 1821, a son
of Frederick and Eachel (Wooden) Burnett, the former a son of Major Burnett,
a Eevolutionary soldier. John was the fifth in a family of nine children, named
as follows: James, a resident of Orleans county. New York; Patrick and Lucelia,
both deceased; Abigail, wife of Milo Bronson, of Brockport, New York; John, of
Delmar township; Albert, Elizabeth and Louisa, all deceased, and Clinton, a farmer
near Brockport. The father died in 1831, and the mother in 1854. The subject
of this sketch was reared on a farm and came to Tioga county in the winter of 1859,
prior to which time he had worked in a foundry. He rented a farm in Delmar
township, and for the following seven years continued to cultivate rented farms on
shares. He afterwards kept a boarding house at Blossburg one year, and ran a saw-
mill at Tiadaghton the following year. In May, 1868, he purchased his present
farm of ninety-three acres in Delmar township, and has since devoted his attention
to its cultivation. Mr. Burnett was married in January, 1845, to Delia A. Sears, a
daughter of Leonard Sears, of Brockport, New York, who died May 15, 1893,
leaving a family of four children, as follows: Franklin A., who lives at home;
George F., a merchant and real estate dealer at Galeton; Viola, wife of Edward D.
Crippen, and Louisa, wife of Jay Crippen, both residing in Galeton. In politics,
the family support the Eepublican party.

Haeey Daniels Wheelbe was born in Oxford township, Chenango county.
New York, June 30, 1839, a son of Harry D. and Lucina (Eace) Wheeler, natives of
New York and Massachusetts, respectively, and of English, Irish and German an-
cestry. His father was bom in Chenango county. New York, in 1800, was a car-
penter, and died in his native town in 1850. His mother died in June, 1893, aged
eighty-six years. The subject of this sketch went to work for a farmer in Coventry,
Chenango county, when fourteen years of age, and remained with him until he was
twenty-one. In 1860 he came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and located at Stony
Fork, in Delmar township, and engaged in lumbering. In 1864 he purchased thirty-
five acres of land in Delmar, upon which he settled in 1866. He continued in the
lumber business until 1875, when he went to Wellsboro as a clerk in the grocery
store of his brother, J. C. Wheeler and C. L. Wilcox, with whom he remained two
and a half years. He subsequently traveled three years on the road selling cigars and
tobaceoes for Thorn Brothers, of Binghamton, New York, and afterwards filled a
similar position with George A. Kent & Company, of the same city. Eeturning to
his farm in Delmar, he was soon after appointed collector of the township, and
served ten years, and later served nine years as constable. In the fall of 1888 he
was elected, on the Democratic ticket, a county commissioner, served three years
in that ofiice, and has since given his attention to farming. He purchased his
present farm of 120 acres in 1874. Mr. Wheeler was married June 16, 1864, to
Euth E. Horton, of Green township, Chenango county. New York, who bore him
five children, viz: Edward M., Ruth E., Lucina, Arthur B and Grace M. Mrs.
Wheeler died December, 4, 1882, and he was again married September 2, 1885, to



760 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Ida T. Butler, of Delmai township, who is the mother of one child. Bertha. Mrs.
Wheeler is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and both she and her
husband are connected with the P. of H. In politics, he is an unswerving Democrat.

Thomas Oee was bom in Wigtonshire, Scotland, August 13, 1812, a son of
James and Catherine (Kenmure) Orr, the former a sailor by occupation. Thomas
was educated in the common schools of his native country, and there learned the
stonemason's trade. In September, 1851, he immigrated to Arcade, Wyoming
county, New York, where he worked at his trade until April, 1865, when he came to
Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and purchased a farm in Delmar township, upon which
his son Charles now resides. He followed farming there until 1888, when he re-
tired and bought his present home at Stony Fork, where he and his wife are passing
their declining years in peace and comfort. Mr. Orr was married January 25, 1842,
to Charlotte McLees, a native of Scotland. They are the parents of nine children,
viz: Elizabeth J., Sarah, Charles, Charlotte, Agnes, Mary A., Margaret, Maria and
Isabel. Mr. Orr and wife are members of the Presbyterian church, and in polities,
he is a Republican. He has served three years as a school director, and has always
taken a deep interest in educational matters.

Chakles Oee was born in Scotland, February 11, 1847, and is the only son of
Thomas and Charlotte Orr. He was in his fifth year when the family came to the
United States, and he obtained his education in the common schools of Wyoming
county, New York. He learned the earriagemaker's trade, but after the family
came to Tioga county, he worked upon the farm in Delmar township. In 1870-71,
he worked at his trade, and in 1875 purchased his present farm from his father,
and has since devoted his attention to agriculture. Mr. Orr was married December
15, 1871, to Mary A. Symonds, a daughter of Job W. Symonds, of Delmar town-
ship, to which union have been bom six children, viz: Harry E., William M.,
Charles T., Grace C, deceased; Ella M. and Charlotte S. Mr. Orr is a member of
the Presbyterian church, and in politics, a Eepublican. He has served as a school
director for the past fifteen years. He makes dairy farming a specialty, keeping
twenty-five cows, the product from which he sells to Stony Fork Creamery Company,
in which he is a stockholder and director.

John- M. Gentey, physician and surgeon, of Stony Fork, was bom in Green
county, Virginia, February 26, 1843, a son of John and Caroline (Douglass) Gentry,
and of English and Scotch extracation. His father was bom in Virginia, in 1812,
was a farmer by occupation, and died in June, 1888. His mother, bom in 1813, lives
with a son on the old homestead farm in Virginia. John M. was reared on the
homestead, and was educated in the public schools of his native county. He came
to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1869, and in 1872 purchased a farm in Delmar
township, upon which he worked until 1881. He then commenced the study of
medicine with Dr. C. W. Webb, of Wellsboro, attended lectures at the College of
Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore, Maryland, and graduated from that institution
in the spring of 1884. He then sold his farm, and commenced practice at Stony
Fork in June, 1884, which he has successfully continued up to the present. Dr.
Gentry was married July 13, 1869, to Miss Emma Herrington, a daughter of George
W. Herrington, of Shippen township, and has two children, E. Blanche and George



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 'JQl



W. Dr. Gentry is the only physician in Delmar township outside of Wellsboro,
and enjoys a Lucrative practice.

Samuel Navil was born in Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, in 1831, a son of
John and Eebeeca (Kline) Navil. His father was born in Lycoming county, in
1808, and was twice married. By his first wife, Rehecca Kline, he reared Eve chil-
dren, viz: Jacob, of Lycoming; George, of Wellsboro: Samuel, of Delmar, Andrew,
who lives in Lycoming county, and Rebecca, deceased. His second wife was
Elizabeth Gamell, who bore him the following children: Emily, James, who was
killed in the Civil war; Ellen, Albert, Robert, who was killed in the war; Elizabeth,
John, Philip, Harriet and Mary. Samuel received a common school education, and
when twenty-one years old began farming on shares, which he continued up to
1872. In that year he came to Tioga county and purchased a farm in Delmar town-
ship on which he has since lived. In 1851 he married Anna Eliza Bevier, of
Lycoming county, and has three children: Hannah E., wife of Daniel Horton, of
Delmar; Orrin J., and Lois A., wife of Lorenzo Tomb, of Delmar. Mrs. Navil
is a member of the Free Will Baptist church, and both she and Mr. ITavil are con-
nected with the Patrons of Husbandry. In politics, he is a Democrat.

Oekin J. Navil, only son of Samuel Navil, was born in Cummings town-
ship, Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, April 30, 1854. He obtained a common
school education, and when twenty-one years old purchased sixty-one acres of tim-
ber land, in partnership with E. J. Playfoot, from which they sold the bark. He
then rented a farm in Delmar, which he cultivated three years, and later carried on
a grocery store at Kennedy five years. He afterwards conducted a restaurant at
Westfield one year, then returned to Kennedy, where he resumed the grocery busi-
ness, in which he continued three years. In 1890 he purchased his present farm
of eighty acres, and has since devoted his attention to farming. On November 3,
1876, he married Marian Grosjean, a daughter of Edward Grosjean, of Delmar.
Mr. Navil was postmaster at Kennedy from 1881 to 1892. He is a memher of the
I. 0. 0. F., the K. of G. E., and the P. of H.

RoBEHT B. WiLSO^r was born in Harford county, Maryland, September 7, 1817,
a son of William K. and Sarah (Miller) Wilson. When eight years old he began a
seafaring life as cabin boy, and finally rose to the captaincy of a sailing vessel on
Chesapeake bay. In 1839 he gave up that occupation and came to Tioga county,
Pennsylvania, where he engaged in lumbering on Little Pine creek, continuing that
business for eighteen years. He afterwards acted as a pilot on the West Branch of the
Susquehanna river up to 1881, when he engaged iq farming in Delmar township.
He had previously purchased the Dr. Archer farm in Morris township in 1859, but
sold it in 1885 and bought his present farm in Delmar. Mr. Wilson married Jane
McMasters, who bore him six children, viz: William Me., of Delmar; Kenly, who
died at the age of forty-three years; Anna, wife of John Black, of Liberty town-
ship; Mary Etta, wife of William Blackwell, of Morris township; Robert L., of
Delmar, and Frank, who died in infancy. Mrs. Wilson died in 1852, and he was
again married, to Mary Kriner, to which imion were bom seven children, viz: Sarah
J., wife of Thomas Blackwell, of Morris; Frank and Ida, both of whom died in
childhood; Libbie, wife of B. C. Fish, of Morris; Ulysses G., of Delmar; Samuel
D., of Delmar, and Mina, wife of Samuel Campbell, of the same township. Mr.



762 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Wilson now resides with his son, Eobert L., in Delmar township. His wife died in
May, 1896, aged sixty-eight years.

KoBEKT L. Wilson was born in Morris township, Tioga county, August IT,
1850, and is the youngest living child of Eobert B. and Jane (McMasters) Wilson.
He was reared on the farm, attended the district schools in boyhood, and on obtain-
ing his majority worked in the lumber woods four years in Tioga county. He
then located on his present farm, which he had purchased in 1873, and has since
been engaged in farming. He owns twenty acres in Delmar, and fifty in Shippen
township, and has cleared and improved most of his present property. Mr. Wilson
was married June 1, 1875, to Frances Sturmer, a daughter of Ferdinand T. Sturmer,
and has one daughter, Edith M. Politically, he is a Republican, and is also a mem-
ber of the Patrons of Husbandry.

George W. West was bom in Southport, New York, December 13, 1818, a son
of Jonathan West, a Baptist minister. Before reaching manhood he came to Penn-
sylvania, locating in Troy, Bradford county, where he lived until twenty-six years
of age. He then came to Wellsboro, Tioga county, and followed the shoemaker's
trade, but was soon afterwards elected constable and made a faithful and fearless
ofiicer. He also served as deputy sheriff and was instrumental in breaking up the
band of horse thieves and counterfeiters on Pine creek, and arrested the noted
counterfeiter, Winslow. He removed to Michigan and remained there a year and
a half, and then returned to Wellsboro. On February 4, 1846, he married Abigail
Eitter, a daughter of Daniel and Lydia Eitter. To this union were bom ten chil-
dren, viz: Henry Dallas, a resident of Nebraska; Georgiana, deceased; Mary, wife
of Orr Kennedy, of Wellsboro; George, who lives in Seattle, Washington; Clinton,
a resident of Delmar township; Alice, wife of Warren Call en, of Michigan; Wilbur
F., a resident of Delmar; Hannah, wife of M. Ogden, of Cedar Eun; Adney, a resi-
dent of Idaho, and Allen, deceased. Mr. West followed farming for a number of
years and also kept a hotel at Stony J'ork. In 1879 he removed to Nebraska, re-
mained there until 1888, and then returned to Tioga county, locating in Charleston
township, where he resided until his death, May 9, 1896.

Clinton West was born in Shippen township, Tioga county, April 7, 1857, a
son of George W. West. When fourteen years of age he began making his own
living, working as a farm hand and in the lumber woods of his native county for
several years. He then went to Bradford county, where he worked upon a farm
two years. Eeturning to Tioga for a short period, he afterwards went to Nebraska,
but came back a year later and continued working on a farm and in the lumber
woods. He finally rented a farm, and in the spring of 1887 bought forty acres of
his present homestead, to which he added fifty-one acres more in the fall of 1888,
on which he has since resided. Mr. West was married June 39, 1884, to Eloise
Bartle, a daughter of J. C. Bartle, of Delmar, who has borne him four children,
viz: J. Frederick, Lottie, Harvey D., deceased, and Harold J. Mr. West is a member
of the Grange, and also of the K. of G. E. In politics, he is an independent voter.

WiLBUE F. West was born in Wellsboro, May 3, 1860, a son of the late George
W. West, of Charleston township. When sixteen years of age he began working
out as a farm hand, which business he followed several years, and subsequently
bought sixty acres of land in Delmar township. He sold this farm later and pur-



BIOGKAPHICAL SKETCHES. 763



chased his present farm of ninety acres, on which he has since lived. Mr. West
was married May 11, 1881, to Nellie E. Bartle, a daughter of J. C. Bartle, of Delmar,
to which union have been horn five children, viz: Flora E., Nellie M., Eunice,
Wilbur T., and Allen J. Mr. AVest and wife are members of the Grange, and ad-
herents of the Baptist church. He is connected with the K. of G. E., and in polities,
be is a Democrat.

MiNEE Benjamin was born in 1814, in St. Lawrence county. New York, and
came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1843. Here he married Sarah Wilson, of
Liberty, Tioga county, in 1845. He followed lumbering as an occupation until
1868, when he was accidentally killed by being stinick by a log. To Miner and
Sarah Benjamin were born six children, viz: Frances, wife of the late Eobert
Quimby, of Lycoming county; William Q., who married Margaret Eoland, of Wells-
boro; Clara, wife of George Greene, of Wellsboro; Janette, wife of Charles Steele,
of Delmar; Charles W., who died when he was fourteen months old, and Elmer E.
The family is connected with the Baptist church.

Elmee E. Benjamin was bom. in 1863, in Tioga county. His father was
killed when our subject was five years old, and since then he has lived with his mother
on the homestead farm in Delmar township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania. In 1893
Mr. Benjamin was elected clerk and treasurer of Delmaj township and served three
years. In politics, he is a Eepublican. Mr. Benjamin was married June 22, 1893,
to Nellie Wheeler, of Wellsboro, a daughter of the late J. C. Wheeler.

Daeius C. Andesws was born near Burlington, Rutland county, Vermont,
April 4, 1812. When he was about eighteen months old his parents started for
Tioga county. New York, but before the journey was completed his mother died,
and he was given to an aimt, Mrs. Thomas Caidkins, an early settler of Charleston
township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania. Here he grew to manhood and married
Jane Coombs, who was born in Steuben county. New York, October 10, 1815. She
became the mother of seven children, as follows: Deborah D., widow of William
Brockway, of Port Huron, Michigan; Anna, wife of Albert Brown, of Roaring
Branch, Lycoming county, Pennsylvania; Thomas, a resident of Mason City, Iowa;
Catherine, wife of Alexander Miller, of North Yakima, Washington; Harriet, wife
of a Mr. Brown, of Salem, Oregon, and two that died in infancy. About 1837 Mr.
Andrews removed to Sullivan county, Pennsylvania, where he lived five or six years
and then returaied to this county, locating in Chatham township. Here he re-
mained about ten years, when he went to Steuben county. New York, but soon
returned to Tioga county. About 1879 he settled on a farm on Marsh creek, in
Delmar township, where he died September 3, 1893. Mrs. Andrews is living with
her daughter, Mrs. Harriet Brown, in Salem, Oregon, at the ripe age of nearly
eighty-two years. In 1857 an estrangement arose between Mr. Andrews and his
wife, which resulted in a legal separation. In 1861 he married a Mrs. Potter, of
Troupsburg, New York, who bore him two children, viz: Flora, wife of Walter
French, of Mills, Potter county, and Abram D., of Marsh Creek.

Feancis M. Andeews, eldest child of Darius C. and Jane (Coombs) Andrews,
was born in Charleston township, Tioga county, October 8, 1835. After receiving
a common school education, he learned the millwright's trade, at which he worked
in Middlebury and Elk townships. In the winter of 1854 he went to Canada and



764 HISTORY OF TIOGA COTTNTT.

a year later to Wisconsin. He remained in the latter twenty-three j'ears and became
a prominent lumberman and mill operator, owning and operating mills at Merrill,
Lincoln county, Wisconsin. About 1877 he removed to Cerro Gordo county, Towa,
where he followed agriculture until 1881 and then returned to Tioga county and
took charge of his father's farm. To this he has since added until he now owns
385 acres. Mr. Andrews was married September 10, 1868, to Theresa J. Beeman,
a daughter of Stephen Van Eensselaer and Lorena Beeman, of Middlebury town-
ship. She bore him four children, viz: Frank M., Lulu, deceased; Fred B., and
Eaymond. Mrs. Andrews died February 22, 1879, and September 15, 1880, he
married Ella Chamberlain, a daughter of Joel and Ellen (Wait) Chamberlain. Mr.
Andrews is a Republican, and served as county supervisor of Lincoln county,
Wisconsin, seven years, and also as a school director, and has filled the offices of
assessor and auditor of Delmar township. He is a member of both lodge and chap-
ter in the Masonic order, and also of the Grange. Mr. Andrews and wife are ad-
herents of the Methodist Episcopal church.

James Hoddeh, a native of South Wales, born May 30, 1841, is a son of Simeon
and Anna (Watkins) Hodder, natives of the same country. His parents reared a
family of eleven children, seven of whom came to the United States. James was
the eldest, and worked with his father in the coal mines of his native land until
1869, when he immigrated to Pennsylvania and found employment in the mines
at Fall Brook, Tioga county, where he worked until 1873. He then went to An-
trim, and continued at the same business for ten years. In the meantime he had
purchased fifty acres of land at Hoytville, in 1874, which he sold in 1880 to the
Hoytville Tannery Company, upon which the tannery works were subsequently
erected. He then bought his present farm of eighty-six acres in Delmar township,
upon which he located in 1881, since which year he has devoted his attention to
agriculture. Mr. Hodder was married December 24, 1861, in South Wales, to Mar-
garet Davis, and they are the parents of eleven children, viz: Margaret A., wife of
Elmer Emmick, of Morris; Florence, Benjamin Sidney, Simon James, Libbie,
deceased; Elizabeth, Lillie, Katie, Emma, Mary and William C. Mr. and Mrs.
Hodder are members of the First Baptist church of Delmar. In politics, he is a Ee-
publican, and is also a member of the I. 0. 0. P. and the P. of H. societies.

Geoege p. Eaish, farmer and lumberman, was born in Lackawanna county,
Pennsylvania, October 22, 1859, a son of Godfrey and Jane (Olewine) Eaish, natives
of Lackawanna and Monroe counties, respectively. His father was a lumberman,
and died in 1874, aged forty-three. His mother died in 1865, aged twenty-five years.
They were the parents of four children, viz: George F., Charles A., a resident of
Colorado; William, deceased, and Samuel, who resides in Snyder county. The
subject of this sketch came to Tioga county in September, 1879, and found employ-
ment in the Leetonia tannery for eight years. While there he bought thirty acres of
land in Delmar township, upon which he settled after lea,ving the tannery. He fol-
lowed teaming four years, and then took a large bark and lumber contract, and in
the next three years got out 3,700 cords of bark, and 7,400,000 feet of lumber.
He later took a large contract to supply a Penn Yan, New York, firm
with bark and lumber, which proved a successful venture. He recently pur-
chased a farm of 120 acres immediately west of Draper, and devotes his atten-



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 765



tion to farming and lumbering. On July 4, 1879, Mr. Kaish married Amelia
George, a daughter of Levi George, of Luzerne county. They are the parents of
the following children, viz: Charles, Edgar, Walter, Ivan C, Leonard, Freeman,
Lee G., Violet A., and one that died in infancy. Mr. Eaish and wife are members
of the Methodist Episcopal church, and in politics, he is a Republican. He is also
connected with the P. of H., the K. of G. E., the I. 0. 0. F., and the F. & A. M., in
all of which he takes a deep interest.

John Lageebom was born in Sweden, March 1, 1839, a son of Carl Lagerbom.
He worked as a farm hand and in the construction of railroads in his native land
until 1871, when he immigrated to Pennsylvania and worked one year on the Fall
Brook raifroad. He then found employment at the Mansiield furnace, where he
remained one year, and for the following eight years worked in the mines at Morris
Eun and Antrim. In 1881 he purchased ninety-four acres of timber land in Dun-
can township, which he cleared up and improved. He resided upon it until the
spring of 1893, when he bought his present farm of 156 acres in Delmar township,
on which he has since resided. Mr. Lagerbom married Caroline Oleson, and has
four children, viz: Mary H., who lives in Chicago; Jennie, wife of Lloyd Henry,
of Delmar; Charles, and Eva, both of whom live with their parents. The family
are members of the Lutheran church, and in polities, Mr. Lagerbom, is a Republi-
can. He is also a member of the Patrons of Husbandry.

CHAELESTON TOWNSHIP.

Petee Shumwat, a native of Massachusetts, was one of the early settlers of
Tioga county. He was a veteran of the Revolution, in which he served nearly seven
years, and received a discharge signed by George Washington which is now in pos-
session of his great-grandson, Peter E. Shumway, of Wellsboro. He located south
of Mansfield about 1805, and a year later removed to Charleston township, settling
on the place since known as the Shumway homestead, near the line of Delmar.
Here Mr. Shumway and wife, Dolly (Nichols) Shiimway, passed the remaining
years of their lives. Both died in the early thirties. They reared a family of six
children, named as follows: Lydia, who married Joseph Wilson; Clarissa, who mar-
ried Samiiel Palmer; Jerusha, who married William Palmer; Zilpha, who married
Luther Johnson; Lucretia, who married Alden Thompson, and Sleeman, all of



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 102 of 163)