Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 104 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 104 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Elijah Peake, Se.. was bom in Schoharie county. New York, there grew to
manhood and learned the blacksmith's trade, and in 1841 came to Tioga county,
Pennsylvania, and purchased 100 acres of land in Charleston township. He set-
tled upon it, but also followed his trade. He married Sally Willis, of Albany, New
York, who bore him five children, viz: Kiel, a farmer of Charleston; Elijah, and
Willis, both deceased; David, a farmer of Delmar, and Margaret, deceased. Mr.
Peake and his wife passed the remainder of their lives in Charleston township.

Elijah Peake, second son of Elijah Peake, Sr., was born in Schoharie county,



BIOGKAPHICAL SKETCHES. 773



New York, May 33, 1818, and came to Tioga county with, his brother Hiel one year
before the other members of the family. They settled in Charleston township, in
the locality where Hiel now resides, near Bound Top postoffice. Here he followed
farming until his death. May 16, 1885. Mr. Peake was married February 22, 1841,
to Nancy Clark, a daughter of Seth Clark, of Vermont. Six children were bom to
this union, named as follows: George Clark and Dyer, both deceased; Electa, who
married 0. H. Brooks; Franklin C, of Charleston; Seth Elijah, of Eound Top,
and Elizabeth, deceased. Mrs. Peake is living in Charleston township.

Franklin C. Peake was born in Charleston township, Tioga county, October
4, 1855, and is the eldest living son of Elijah Peake, Jr. He attended the common
schools of Charleston, and on attaining his majority began farming and operating
a threshing machine. On October 9, IST'S, he married Ella M. Close, a daughter
of Eeuben and Harriet (Lockwood) Close, of Chatham township, and has two chil-
dren, Erwin M. and Walter L. In 1891 Mr. Peake purchased his present farm of
eighty acres, lying one mile east of Wellsboro, and has since devoted his attention
to its cultivation. In politics, a Republican, he has served as school director one
term, and is also a member of the I. 0. 0. F. and the Patrons of Husbandry.

Seth E. Peake, a son of Elijah Peake, Jr., was born in Charleston township,
Tioga county. May 23, 1863, and there grew to manhood. He followed lumber-
ing eight years, and in 1885 commenced blacksmithing at Summit, Duncan town-
ship, which business he followed there for six years. In 1891 he came to Eound
Top, where he has since carried on blacksmithing, and also operates a steam thresher
during the autumn season, as well as a cider mill. Mr. Peake was married June
24, 1885, to Anna M. Skelton, a daughter of John Skelton, of Charleston township,
and has one son, Fred. In politics, Mr. Peake is a Eepublican, and is also a member
of the I. 0. 0. F.

Daniel Mills was born near Owego, Tioga county, New York, September
28, 1788, and is believed to have been the first white child born in that county.
His father, Stephen Mills, was a soldier in the Eevolution, and lived to the remark-
able age of 104 years. Daniel followed farming in Tioga county, New York, the
greater portion of his life, and finally came to Charleston township, Tioga county,
Pennsylvania, where he died, March 3, 1871. His wife, Patience Trapp, of Orange
county. New York, died in Charleston, February 24, 1871, a week before her hus-
band. They were the parents of seven children, viz: Jane F. and Rachel P., both
deceased; Martha B., Samuel, James F., deceased; Amos 0. and Eobert I.

Samuel Mills, oldest son of Daniel and Patience Mills, was born in Tioga
county, New York, November 28, 1821, and grew to manhood in that county. At
the age of eighteen he began an apprenticeship to the carpenter's trade, which
business he followed in that county up to 1844. He then came to Tioga county,
Pennsylvania, and purchased his present farm of 113 acres in Charleston township,
and has since devoted his attention to farming in connection with his trade. On
March 9, 1844, Mr. Mills married Marcy A. Chapman, of Friendsville, Susquehanna
county, Pennsylvania, who bore him three children, viz: Eliza, deceased wife of
J. E. Catlin; Martha L., and Amos D., deceased. Mrs. Mills died August 21, 1850.
He was again married January 1, 1851, to Mary Tucker, a daughter of Benjamin
and Nancy (Brundage) Tucker, of Otsego county, New York, who is the mother
of eight children, viz: Cicero E., of Crawford, Nebraska; Marcy A., wife of C.



774 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

A. Stewart, of Delmar township; Abram L., deceased; Mary L., wife of Ferdinand
E. Field, of Wellsboro; Ellen A., wife of Samuel Coolidge, of Colorado; Eachel
A., a graduate of the State Normal School, Mansfield, in the class of 1894; Benjamin
J., and Louis, deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Mills are members of the Methodist Episcopal
church, and charter members of the local Grange. In politics, he is a Eepublican,
and has filled the office of township supervisor.

Martin Clemens was born in Germajay, in 1804, was educated in his native
land, and there served an apprenticeship to the weaver's trade. He immigrated to
the United States in 1831, and settled at Trenton, New Jersey, where he learned
the shoemaker's trade, at which he worked in that city up to 1845, when he came to
Tioga county, Pennsylvania. He purchased 100 acres of land in Charleston town-
ship, and devoted his attention to its cultivation during the remaining years of his
life. He died in 1852. Mr. Clemens was married in Germany to Barbara Siple,
to whom were bom eight children, viz: Frank, of Charleston township; William,
a farmer in Covington; Chaxles, deceased; Martin V., Louisa, deceased wife of
William Houck; Nichols, of Elmira; George, of Charleston township, and Peter,
deceased.

Feank Clemens was born in Trenton, New Jersey, July 20, 1833, and was
twelve years old when his parents came to Tioga county. He assisted them on the
homestead in Charleston township until 1850, when he engaged in lumbering on
Pine creek, which business he followed seven years, operating several saw mills in
that locality. Eetuming to Charleston township, he engaged in farming, which he
has since continued in connection with the lumber business. Mr. Clemens was mar-
ried January 6, 1856, to Mary Ann Churchill, a daughter of Asa Churchill, a well-
known local writer of Charleston township. To this union have been bom five chil-
dren, viz: Francis Ira, of Charleston township; Martha, wife of Alonzo Waters, of
Lamb's Creek; Charles W., deceased; Mary Eva, and Samuel A. Mr. Clemens en-
listed in December, 1862, and served in the Binghamton Construction Corps, in the
Army of the Potomac, until the close of the war. Politically, he is a stanch Demo-
crat.

Maetin V. Clemens was born in Trenton, New Jersey, December 8, 1840, and
was about four years old when his parents settled in Charleston township, Tioga
county. Here he grew to manhood, working on the farm and in the lumber woods
with his father until 1863, when he enlisted in Company A, Ninety-eighth Pennsyl-
vania Volunteers. He served with the Army of the Potomac, and passed through
unharmed. He was honorably discharged at Washington, D. C, in July, 1865, and
returned to his home in Tioga county, where he purchased his present farm the fol-
lowing year. Mr. Clemens was married December 31, 1863, to Mary Ann Ely, a
daughter of Seldin Ely, of Charleston township. Nine children are the fruits of this
union, viz: Frederick J., of Charleston; Morton S., deceased; Minnie M., wife of
Adelbert Kittell, of Delmar; John B. and Herbert, deceased; Lewis Edgar, Bertie,
Decatur Martin and Mamie Bell. In politics, Mr. Clemens is a Democtat, and is
also a member of the I. 0. 0. P.

Alonzo Whitney was bom at Nine Partners, New York, in 1801, a son of
Abram J. and Philena (Adams) Whitney, both natives of Connecticut. He ob-
tained a common school education, and soon after attaining his majority settled in



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 775



Danby, Tompkins county. New York, whence he removed to Caroline, New York,
where he had a contract for furnishing timber to be used in the construction of the
Ithaca and Owego railroad, now the Ithaca division of the Delaware, Lackawanna
and Western. He subsequently removed to Gibson, now Coming, New York,
where he kept a hotel for twenty-five years, and was also a foreman in the construction
of the Chemung canal. In 1848 he came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and pur-
chased 300 acres of land in Charleston township, at what is now known as Whit-
neyville, where he followed farming the remainder of his life. His wife, Fannie,
was a daughter of Lewis Pitts, of Danby, New York, and had one son. Nelson.
Mr. "Whitney held nearly all of the township offices at different periods, and was
postmaster at Whitneyville several years. He was a Democrat up to the nomina-
tion of Lincoln, when he cast his vote for the Eepublican candidates. Mr. Whitney
died on his farm in Charleston, May 1, 1881, aged seventy-nine years. His wife
survived him more than six years, dying August 3, 1887, aged eighty-five.

Capt. Nelson Whitney, only child of Alonzo and Fannie Whitney, was born
in Danby, Tompkins county. New York, January 5, 1833. When he was seven
years old his parents moved to Caroline, and two years later to Corning, New
York, where he grew to manhood. In 1848 he came with the family to Tioga
county and settled in Charleston township, where he devoted his attention to farm-
ing until 1858, when he also embarked in merchandising at Whitneyville, and did
a business of about $20,000 per annum. When Sumter was fired on, he at once
tendered his services to the government, and when President Lincoln made his
first call for volunteers, Mr. Whitney went out with the recruits from Bradford,
Sullivan and Tioga counties, as quartermaster, with the rank of major, in the Thir-
teenth Division, and rendezvoused at Troy, Bradford county. After remaining
there ten days, they proceeded to Camp Curtin, near Harrisburg, where Major
Whitney acted as quartermaster of the old Bucktail regiment until the expiration
of his term, when he returned home. On August 6, 1861, he received orders from
the adjutant general of Pennsylvania to raise a company, which he accomplished,
recruiting his command in Charleston township. It was mustered into the service
as Company G, Forty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers, with Mr. Whitney as captain.
He reported at Camp Curtin, where his company was mustered in, October 14,
1861, and thence proceeded to Washington, D. C, and from there to Fortress Mon-
roe. On December 6, 1861, they were sent to South Carolina, to join the Army
of the South, under Sherman and Hunter, and participated in the battle of .James
Island. Shortly after Captain AVhitney received a sunstroke, at Hilton Head,
South Carolina, from the efl'eets of which he has never fully recovered. The com-
pany was then sent to Newport News, Virginia, where it became a part of the Ninth
Army Corps, under General Burnside. Here Captain Whitney was compelled to
resign, August 31, 1862, because of faihng health. He returned to Charleston
township, and about ten days later recruited another company, but did not again
go into active service. At the close of the war he sold his mercantile business and
engaged in farming and wool buying. Captain Whitney was married January 1,
1845, to Susan C. Parsell, a daughter of Samuel Parsell, of Coming, New York.
Nine children blessed this union, viz: William E., deceased; Mary, wife of Abram
Tipple, of Charleston; Frank, of Corning, New York; Fanny, wife of Otis L.



776 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Allen, of Kansas; Willis, a farmer of Middlebury; Seymour, of Charleston; Nellie,
wife of H. W. Neal, a resident of the same township; Jessie, at home, and Jane, wife
of Charles Symonds, of Bath. Captain Whitney has always taken an active inter-
est in public affairs, and though a Eepublican, was a candidate for sheriff on the
Greenback ticket, and for associate judge on both the Democratic and Greenback
tickets,, but the county was so strongly Republican that he was defeated. He is
a member of the Masonic order, and one of the well-known citizens of Tioga county.

Thomas D. Davies, a native of Carmarthenshire, Wales, grew to manhood
in his native land, and there married Elizabeth Jones. In 1841 they immigrated
to the United States, and located in Blossburg, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, -where
Mr. Davies operated the incline plane for eighteen years. In 1868 he removed to
Charleston township, where his wife died in 1879, and himself in 1891. They
were the parents of six children, five of whom were born in Tioga county. The
oldest, John, was born in Wales; came to Blossburg with his parents, and enlisted
in Company G, One Hundred and Forty-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteers. He was
kUled at the battle of Gettysburg, July 1, 1863, when 336 were killed or captured
out of a regimental roster of 450 men.

Thomas J. Davies was bom in Blossburg, Tioga county, April 15, 1843, a son
of Thomas D. Davies. He attended the common schools and Blossburg Academy
in boyhood, and has m.ade farming his vocation. On September 18, 1861, he en-
listed in Company G, Forty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served throughout
the war, being promoted to second lieutenant on January 24, 1865. At the battle
of South Mountain he was struck by a piece of shell, which fractured his skull, and
he was taken to Patterson Park Hospital, Maryland. He rejoined his regiment in time
to take part in the battle of Fredericksburg, and was afterwards transferred to the
Army of the South, in Kentucky, which re-enforced Grant at Vicksburg. His
regiment next served in the engagements of Blue Springs, Campbell Station and
the Siege of Knoxville. Here he was discharged, December 31, 1863, in order to
re-enlist as a veteran, at Blain's Cross Roads, Tennessee. His command was then
transferred to the Army of the Potomac, and he served-in the following battles:
Wilderness, Spottsylvania, North Anna River, Cold Harbor, and the assault on
Petersburg. During the Siege of Petersburg his brigade held the salient line.
He received a gunshot wound here, which grazed the right side of his skull, striking
near the right eye. He was taken to Harwood Hospital, Washington, D. C, where
he remained four months, and then rejoined his regiment in front of Petersburg,
where he remained until the town was captured. While in command of Company
D, Forty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers, in the capture of Fort Walker, he was again
wounded by a musket ball in the right wrist, and was taken to City Point Hospital.
In May, 1865, he rejoined his command at Alexandria, and served on the court
martial board three weeks, as one of the junior officers. His command was mus-
tered out of service July 17, 1865, by general order of the war department. Re-
turning to his home in Tioga county, he resumed the peaceful pursuits of agricul-
ture, which he has continued up to the present. He owns one of the finest farms
in Charleston township, located in the Welsh settlement, about five miles from
Wellsboro. Mr. Davies was married January 14, 1868, to Jane L. Davis, a daughter
of David S. Davis, of Covington. Eight children have been born to this marriage.



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 777



viz: Harriet E., Elizabeth J., Avife of Charles Harkness; Edith May, John E ., M.
Gertrude, William L., A. Verne, and Benjamin, deceased. The family are mem-
bers of the Congregational church. Mr. Davis is past lieutenant colonel and a
member of the staff of the commanding general in the Union Veteran Legion.
He is also a member of the 1. 0. 0. F., the K. of H., and the G. A. R. In politics,
a Republican, he has served two terms on the school board, and is one of the sub-
stantial and progressive citizens of his native county.

Chahles Close, son of Reuben Close, and grandson of Newbury Close, Sr.,
was born in Chatham township, February 3, 1826, and was reared to manhood in
his native township, receiving his education in the common schools. About 1847
he removed to Westfield and engaged in mercantile business with his brother
George. In 1853 he removed to Charleston township and settled at Round Top,
where he established potash works, which he carried on until about 1870, when he
purchased the Round Top Cheese Factory, which had been established in 1865 by
a stock company. In 1873 he bought out the general store of Samuel Morgan.
This and a small farm he carried on in connection with his cheese factory until his
death. May 16, 1883. Mr. Close was married in 184-7, to Jane Owlett, a daughter
of Gilbert B. and Martha (Pope) Owlett, of Chatham township. To this union
there were bom seven children, viz: Martha E., widow of Benjamin P. Claus;
Mary E. and Sybil A., deceased; Gilbert Burton, of Delmar: Reuben G., of Keeney-
ville; Edd G., of Round Top, and Arthur C, merchant and cheese manufacturer,
Keeneyville. Mrs. Close makes her home with her children. Mr. Close was a Re-
publican, in politics; was a justice of the peace in Chai'leston township from 1860
to 1870, and postmaster of Round Top for many years. He was a man of strict
integrity, honorable in his dealings, and esteemed and respected by all who knew
him.

E. G. Close, merchant and cheese manufacturer, at Round Top, Charleston
township, Tioga county, was bom in that township, Januajy 37, 1867, a son of
Charles and Jane (Owlett) Close. He obtained his education in the public schools
of his native township and at Westbrook's Commercial College, Olean, New York.
In February, 1888, he purchased the Round Top Cheese Factory from his father's
estate. This factory, which has a capacity of thirty tons per annum, he has since
operated. In 1890 he opened a general store at Round Top, and has carried on
merchandising in connection with the cheese industry. November 39, 1889, Mr.
Close was appointed postmaster of Round Top, which office he has filled up to the
present. He was married February 1, 1888, to Ella L. Marks, a daughter of Charles
and Jane Marks, of Charleston township, and has three children, viz: Florence J.,
Max C. and Jay Marks. Mr. and Mrs. Close are members of the Methodist Epis-
copal church. In politics, he is an adherent of the Republican party, and also a
member of Tyoga Lodge, No. 330, I. 0. 0. F., "Wellsboro.

"Waldo Speae, merchant and postmaster at East Charleston, was born in
Springfield township, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, April 19, 1843, a son of
Hiram and Lucy (Ripley) Spear. He was educated in the common schools and
Mansfield Classical Seminary. On October 14, 1861, he enlisted in Company C,
Seventh Pennsylvania Cavalry, and participated in the following battles: Lebanon,
Murfreesboro, McMinnville and Gallatin, where he was taken prisoner August 31,



778 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

1862. He was paroled because of injuries, and, when exchanged, was detailed as
courier of the Second Cavalry Division, Army of the Cumberland, in which capacity
he served until December 28, 1864, when he was honorably discharged. Eeturning
to his home in Bradford county, he lived there until 1866, and then located at Mar-
din, Tioga county, where he was engaged in farming for seventeen years. In April,
1883, he purchased his present inercantile business at East Charleston, which he
has since successfully conducted. He was appointed postmaster of that office in
February, 1883, and has filled the position continuously up to the present. Mr.
vSpear was married January 37, 1880, to Eva C. Benedict, only child of J. C. and
Mary M. Benedict, of Austinville, Bradford county. They are the parents of one
son, Leland Ealph, bom May 9, 1886. Politically, Mr. Spear is a Eepublican, and
in religion, a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He is secretary, lecturer
and overseer of Grange, ISTo. 939, P. of H.. and is commander of Tent, IsTo. 303, K.
0. T. M.

John S. Bliss, a native of Massachusetts, born June 7, 1817, was a son of
Stephen and Charlotte (Bailey) Bliss, natives of the same State. He came to Tioga
county, Pennsylvania, with his parents, and settled in Wellsboro, where he worked
at cabinet making until 1853. In that year he purchased a farm in Charleston
township, settled upon it and devoted his attention to farming during the balance
of his life. He died on April 10, 1894. He married Nancy Van Horn, a daughter
of William Van Horn, deceased, of Williamsport, who became the mother of seven
children, viz: Dwight and William, both farmers in Charleston; Mary, wife of
Eugene Close, deceased; John J., George, Lloyd B., and Charles, all of whom are
farmers in Charleston township. Mr. Bliss was a Republican in politics, and served
as school director one term.

John J. Bliss, a son of John S. and Nancy Bliss, was born in Charleston town-
ship, Tioga county, November 11, 1853, and grew to manhood on the homestead
farm, attending the district school during his boyhood days. At the a^e of twenty-
three he purchased his present farm, five miles south of Wellsboro, on which he
has since resided. He married Miss Nettie Childs, of Nauvoo, Liberty township,
Tioga county. Mr. Bliss is a memiber of the I. 0. 0. P., and the Patrons of Hus-
bandry, and in politics, an adherent of the Eepublican party.

Feedinand Embbhger was bom in Germany, in 1816, was educated in his
native land, and at the age of forty came to the United States. He was a black-
smith, and worked at his trade in Iowa one year. He then went to Eochester,
New York, where he continued blacksmithing until 1859, when he came to Tioga
county, Pennsylvania, and settled in Delmar township. He also worked at his
trade in Middlebury township, and in Lycoming county. In 1874 he located in
Charleston township, where he passed the remaining years of his life retired from
active business, dying in 1883. He was married in Germany to Anna Mary Miller,
to whom were bom six children, viz: Catherine, deceased; Henry, who enlisted
in Company L, Seventh Pennsylvania Cavalry, and was mortally wounded at Dal-
las, Georgia, May 37, 1864; Ignatius, deceased; Martin, of Cherry Plats; Joseph,
of Charleston, and Anna, wife of William McCaslin. Mrs. Emberger died in 1861.

Joseph Emberger, youngest son of Ferdinand Emberger, M-as bom in Eoches-
ter, New York, April 13, 1858, and removed with his parents to Tioga county when



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 779



one year old. At the age of fifteen years he accompanied his father to Lycoming
county, where he remained two years, going thence to Lodi, New York. In the
autumn of 1880 he returned to Tioga county, where he has since resided.
He obtained his education in the common schools, the Wellsboro High School,
and the State Normal School, Mansfield, graduating from the last named in
the class of 1885. He taught school in Tioga county six terms, being principal
of the Amot graded school one year. In 1887 he purchased a farm of eighty acres
in Charleston township, on which he now lives. Mr. Emberger was married No-
vember 29, 1883, to Sarah Mclnroy, a daughter of Hugh Mclnroy, of Charleston.
She died April 33, 1888, followed ten days later by the death of their only child,
Hugh C, aged three years. In politics, Mr. Emberger is a Democrat, and has
served as auditor of Charleston township three terms. In 1896 he was elected a
member of the board of auditors of Tioga county.

Denton Gerow was bom in New York state, January 19, 1819, and came to
Tioga coimty, Pennsylvania, in 1866, settling in Charleston township. He was
a blacksmith, and followed that occupation through life. He married Bersheba
Gale, of Ulster county. New York, who bore him eleven children, viz: Green M.,
of Wellsboro; Bailey A., of Knoxville; James N., of Charleston township; Mary
J., wife of Simeon Brown, of Watkins, New York; Dewitt C, of Charleston;
Marcus L., and Phoebe, both deceased ; Emma, wife of Dowling Ellenberger; Wal-
teo" E., of Charleston; Libbie, deceased, and Anna, wife of A. Lincoln Eaton. Mrs.
Gerow died on April 37, 1888, and her husband, February 16, 1892.

Dewitt C. Gerow, son of Denton Gerow, was born in Seneca county. New
York, August 2, 1848, and attended the common schools of his native countyin
boyhood. Before attaining his majority he commenced working at blaeksmithing
with his father, continuing the same until August 31, 1864. On that date he en-
listed in Company G, Fiftieth New York Engineers, and served in the Army of the
Potomac until June 13, 1865, when he was honorably discharged. Eetuming to
his home in New York, he continued to work at his trade until the fall of 1866,
when he came to Tioga county and located in Charleston township. He followed
blaeksmithing there two years, and then went to Lodi, New York, and engaged
in farming. A year later he returned to Charleston township, where he has since
devoted his attention to agriculture. Mr. Gerow was married January 1, 1870,



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 104 of 163)