Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 105 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 105 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


to Laura E. West, a daughter of Willliam and Caroline (Johnson) West, of Charles-
ton township. They are the parents of ten children, viz: Winnie, wife of Otis
Pealce, deceased; Ethel, wife of Miner Hinkley; Leon, Ada, Carrie, Edna, deceased;
Gale, Floyd, Miner and Irma. Politically, Mr. Gerow is an ardent Eepublican.

Isaac E. Bowbn was born on his present homestead in Charleston township,
Tioga county, October 30, 1869, a son of Joshua and Diana (Evans) Bowen, natives
of Carmarthenshire, South Wales. He attended the district schools of his native
township in boyhood, and also the State Normal School, at Mansfield, and then
engaged in teaching, which vocation he followed four years. At the end of this
period he went on the road as a traveling salesman for a short time, and later em-
barked in the tinning and plumbing business, which he followed until his father's
death. He then took charge of the homestead farm, and has since devoted his
attention to agriculture. Mr. Bowen was married October 29, 1888, to Mattie B.



780 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Husted, a daughter of Ashley Husted, of Charleston township, and has three daugh-
ters: Maude, Beatrice and Neva. The family are connected with the Congrega-
tional church, and Mr. Bowen is a member of the I. 0. 0. P., and the K. 0. T. M.
In politics, he is a Eepublican, and is recognized as one of the enterprising young
farmers of the township.

James E. Petees was born in Almond, Allegany county. New York, October
18, 1834, and was a son of Joseph and Eliza (Carey) Peters, natives of England
and Pennsylvania, respectively. His education was acquired in the public schools
and Union Academy. He early became a resident of Parmington township, Tioga
county, where he followed agriculture up to 1878. In that year he was elected a
county commissioner, and removed to Elkland. He was re-elected in 1883
and filled the office six years. In 1884 he settled in Deerfield township
and engaged in merchandising at Academy Corners, which he continued
until 1891, when he was appointed superintendent of the county poor house. This
position he held up to his death, March 23, 1896. Mr. Peters was married Sep-
tember 3, 1851, to Priscilla Smith, a daughter of Henry and Phoebe (Cook) Smith,
of Nelson, Tioga county, to which union have been bom six children, viz: Sadie
M., wife of Daniel E. Casbeer, of Parmington; John W., Charles E. and Lena, all
of whom are dead; Eena, and J. Earl. The family are members of the Methodist
Episcopal church. Mr. Peters was actively identified with the Eepublican party
from early manhood. He was a member of the I. 0. 0. F., the K. of H., and the
Patrons of Husbandry, and was elected Grand Master of the last named order in 1888.



CHAPTEE LX.

BIOGllAPHICAL SKETCHES.

MiDDLEBURY AND FAEMINGTON TOWNSHIPS— NeLSON, ELKLAND AND OSOEOLA

Boroughs.



EiCHAED Goodwin was born in New Hampshire, in 1760, and came to Tioga
county with his family in 1807. He purchased a tract of land in Middlebury town-
ship, a portion of which is owned by his grandsons, George H. and Calvin A. Good-
win. Here he resided and cultivated his farm until old age prevented him from
further work. He died December 10, 1858, at the remarkable age of ninety-eight
years. He married Lauranie Carpenter, who bore him six children, viz: Benjamin,
Calvin, Charles, Lucy, Sally and Susan. The mother died soon after the family
came to Tioga coimty.

Caltin Goodwin was born in Vermont, January 9, 1799, and was about nine
years old when his parents, Eichard and Lauranie Goodwin, settled in the primitive
forest of Middlebury township. Here he grew to manhood, surrounded by the trials
and hardships of pioneer days, attending school in the little log building of the



BIOGKAPHICAL SKETCHES. 781



neighborhoodj and assisting his parents to clear and improve the homestead. He
was an honest, hard-working man, and accumulated a good property. He spent
his entire life in this county upon the old homestead settled by his father. In
1825 Mr. Goodwin married Anna Sloat, a daughter of David Sloat. She was bom
in 1809, and bore him a family of eight children, named as follows: Albert, who
died in the South, while a soldier in the Union army; Milo, a resident of Middle-
bury; Matilda, wife of Edie Handy, of Deerfield; James W., a resident of Charles-
ton; Charles, who died at the age of fifty-nine; Charity, wife of Mason Bennett,
of "Wellsboro; Susan, who died at the age of forty-seven, and Calvin A., who lives on
a portion of the old homestead and with whom Mrs. Goodwin resides.

MiLO Goodwin, second son of Calvin Goodwin, was 'bom in Middlebury town-
ship, Tioga county, September 8, 1837, received a common school education, and
lived with his parents until his majority. He then bovight forty acres of land in
Charleston township, lived there two years, then sold it and purchased his present
farm west of Keeneyville. August 9, 1863, he enlisted in Company A, One Hun-
dred and Thirty-sixth Pennsylvania A^olunteers, under Captain Hammond, and
later Capt. John I. Mitchell, the present president judge of Tioga county, and was
honorably discharged at Harrisburg, in June, 1863. Mr. Goodwin was married
in 1847, to Fannie Spaulding, a daughter of William Spaulding, to which union
have been bom five children, viz: William, a resident of Chatham; Ettie, wife of
Salem Butler, of Deerfield: Frank, a farmer of Middlebury; Angle, wife of Gardner
Andrews, of Wellsboro, and Callie S., who lives on the homestead. In politics,
Mr. Goodwin is a Eepublican, and has served as a school director three years. He
is also a member of the G. A. K. and the P. of H. societies.

Calvin A. Goodwin, youngest child of Calvin Goodwin, was bom in Middle-
bury township, Tioga county, February 30, 1848. He attended the district schools
in boyhood, and has always lived on the old homestead, engaged in farming and lum-
bering. He married Marian West, a daughter of Thomas M. West, of Middlebury
township. May 13, 1867. She was born May 7, 1847, and is the mother of nine
children, viz: William, who died in infancy; Ida, wife of Eli Peck, of Middlebury;
Addie, wife of Leon West, of the same township; Orrin, Charles, James and Matie
A., all residents of Middlebury; Albert and Susan, both deceased. Mrs. Goodwin
is a member of the Free Will Baptist church. In politics, Mr. Goodwin is a Ee-
publican, has served as a school director one term, and is also a member of the
Patrons of Husbandry.

Charles Goodwin was born in New Hampshire, October 5, 1807, a few weeks
before the family removed to this county. He was the youngest son of Eichard
Goodwin, and was reared upon the homestead farm in Middlebury, which became
his property after his father's death. He married Esther Sloat, to which union
were born seven children, viz: Eoanna K., widow of Walter Briggs, of Eichmond
township; Adaline, deceased; George H., of Middlebury; Clarissa, Howard and
Alfred, all of whom are dead, and Eveline, wife of Henry Hayes, of Middlebury.
Mrs. Goodwin died on July 11, 1867, aged fifty-six years, and her husband, February
4, 1880, in his seventy-third year.

George H. Goodwin, only living son of Charles Goodwin, was bom on
his present farm in Middlebury township, Tioga county, August 18, 1836, was



782 HISTOET OF TIOUA COUNTY.

educated in the district schools, and has made agriculture his hfe vocation. July
34, 1864, he married Beatrice K. Keeney, a daughter of Ransom Keeney, of Middle-
bury. She was born April 9, 1844, and has had three children, viz: Floyd H., who
died at the age of five years; Fred. A., who died at fourteen years of age, and Eoy,
who died in infancy. In politics, Mr. Goodwin is a stanch Democrat.

Thomas Keeney was born in Hartford, Connecticut, September 28, 1776, the
eldest of two sons born to Thomas Keeney, Sr., the younger one being Jesse. His
father was a native of Scotland, born May 31, 1751, and came to America prior to
the Eevolution, serving under Washington during that struggle for liberty.
Thomas spent his early life in his native place, whence he removed to Onondaga
county. New York, and in the autumn of 1815 came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania,
and purchased a large farm on Crooked creek, in Middlebury township. Here he
spent the remaining years of his life, dying September 1, 1853. He married Anna
Parshall, who bore him nine children, viz: Mercy, Israel P., Elijah, Elisha, Jesse,
and Alvira, all of whom are dead; Eansom, of Middlebury township; Anna, de-
ceased, and Thomas, a resident of Middlebury. Mrs. Keeney died February 28,
1827, aged forty-nine years. Mr. Keeney was a deacon in the Baptist church.

IsEAEL P. Keeney, eldest son of Thomas and Anna Keeney, was born in
Onondaga county. New York, in 1802, and was thirteen years old when the family
came to Tioga county. Here he grew to manhood, and made farming his life voca-
tion. His wife, Clarinda, was a daughter of Aaron Niles, and bore him a family
of eleven children, as follows: Henry S., of Middlebury; Euth, who died in infancy;
Euth A., wife of Daniel Holiday; Mercy, deceased wife of Benjamin Starkey;
Alvira and Clarinda, both deceased; Deborah, deceased wife of Samuel Hayes; Mary,
wife of Joseph Brown, of Lawrence township; Henrietta, wife of 0. D. Whiteomb;
Delia, deceased wife of Orrin West, and Lafayette, deceased. Mr. Keeney and wife
were members of the Baptist church, in which he filled the office of deacon. He died
at Middlebury Center, March 11, 1886, and his wife, August 12, 1885, aged eighty-
seven years.

Heney S. Keeney, eldest child of Israel P. Keeney, and grandson of Thomas
Keeney, was born in Middlebury township, Tioga county, January 1, 1824. He
was reared upon the homestead, and assisted his parents on the farm until he was
twenty-two years of age, when he began working out as a farm hand and mill man.
May 11, 1845, he married Zunilda Whitney, a daughter of Jeremiah Whitney. She
was bom August 7, 1826, and is the mother of six children, as follows: Loren D.,
who died at the age of eleven; Calista S., wife of Ephraim Thomas, of Mansfield;
Van Buren, of Chatham township, who married Sarah Short, who has had five
children: Frankie, deceased, Hattie, Vola, Olen and Stella; Euth A., wife of Clark
Sweet, of Middlebury; Henry S., a carpenter of Middlebury Center, who married
Katie Badman, and has three children, Leah, Eva and Seymour B.; and Flora A.,
wife of Thomas B. Bolton, a resident of Middlebury Center. In September, 1864,
Mr. Keeney enlisted in Company G, Two Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Vol-
unteers. He was soon afterwards taken sick, and in May, 1865, was discharged at
Philadelphia because of disability. Politically, he is a Eepubliean, and both he and
wife are members of the Free Will Baptist church.

Jesse Keeney, youngest son of Thomas Keeney Sr., was born in Hartford,



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 783



Connecticut, September 28, 1778, being exactly two years younger than his brother
Thomas. His father was a native of Scotland, born May 31, 1751, and came to
America prior to the Eevolution, serving under Washington during that struggle
for liberty. Jesse spent his early life in his native place, and married Catharine
Middaugh December 29, 1799, subsequently removing to New York state. His wife
was born September 13, 1781, and bore him the following children: Elias, Sarah,
Thomas, Permelia, Jesse, Abram S. and Jesse M., all of whom are dead; Caty, wife
of Delinas Walker; Mercy, deceased; Eichard M., a resident of Farmington town-
ship; Euby and George D., both deceased. Mr. Keeney came to Tioga county in
1831, and located on a farm at Mill Creek, where he died on June 18, 1834. His
wife survived him fourteen years, dying August 13, 1848.

Geoege Daniel Keeney, youngest child of Jesse Keeney, was bom at
Cortland, New York, December 5, 1825, and was six years old when his parents
settled in this county. Here he grew to maturity, and in the fall of 1848 located
at Keeneyville, where he engaged extensively in lumbering, and purchasd several
tracts of land. In 1859 he was commissioned first lieutenant of the Northern
Artillery. In 1861 he was appointed postmaster at Keeneyyille, and in 1866 was
elected a justice of the peace, an o£&ce he filled continuously for thirty years. He
also served as a school director several terms, and filled other minor ofiices of his
township. He was an ardent Eepublican, and always gave his support to that party.
Mr. Keeney was married August 27, 1848, to Jane A. Drew, a daughter of Deacon
John Drew. She was born March 2, 1830, and became the mother of nine chil-
dren, as follows: Florence A., wife of Prof. F. M. Smith, of Arcade, New York;
Agnes E., of Keeneyville; Ernest H., who died at the age of seven; Ida E., wife of
Leroy Costley, of Middlebury township; Arthur M., of Keeneyville; Helen J., de-
ceased; Eva G., wife of Elmer E. Guernsey, of St. Paul, Minnesota; Burton L., of
Keeneyville, and Myrtle L., who died at the age of twenty-three years. Mrs. Keeney
died January 1, 1893. She was for many years a member of the First Baptist
church. February 27, 1895, he married, for his second wife, Eachel L. Morse, of
Scranton, Pennsylvania. Mr. Keeney died February 11, 1896. He was a consistent
member of the First Baptist church; was also connected with the K. of H., and was
one of the oldest and most respected citizens of the community.

Ahthue M. Keenbt was born at Keeneyville, June 21, 1859, and is the oldest
living son of George D. Keeney.^ He was educated in the Keeneyville graded
school, and is now engaged in the retail meat business. On October 3, 1879, he
married Laura Wedge, a daughter of Samuel Wedge, of Middlebury township, and
has three children: Maude, Harry and Ethel. The last mentioned was given to
her uncle, Henry Wedge, at her mother's death, which occurred March 31, 1893.
Mr. Keeney is a member of the First Baptist church, also of the 1. 0. 0. F., the
K. 0. T. M., and the P. of H. societies. In politics, he is a Eepublican, and one of
the well-known business men of Keeneyville.

BuETON L. Keeney, youngest son of George D. Keeney, was bom at Keeney-
ville, Tioga county, October 20, 1866, and received his education at the Keeneyville
High School and the State Normal School, Mansfield. He also graduated in
stenography from Barnes' Shorthand College, St. Louis, Missouri, and practiced
as a professional stenographer for five years in Keokuk, Iowa, and St. Paul, Minne-
sota, and also in the courts of Tioga county. April 3, 1895, he married Luella P.



784 HISTOEY OF TIOGA OOTJNTY.

ClooSj youngest daughter of Philip T. Cloos. Their daughter, Bdytha Luella,
was bom April 17, 1896. Mr. Keeney is a member of the Baptist church, a charter
member of the K. 0. T. M., and in politics, a Kepublican. He devotes his atten-
tion to farming.

Edsell Mitchell was born at the mouth of Mitchell's creek, in Tioga town-
ship, Tioga county, August 37, 1793, eldest child of Eichard and Euby (Keeney)
Mitchell, and is claimed by his descendants to have been the first white child bom
in this county. In 1816 he came to Middlebury township and located on the present
Mitchell faiTQ, where the remainder of his life was passed. He served in the War
of 1812, and is one of the well-remembered pioneers. He resided in Middlebury up
to his death, August 15, 1870. Mr. Mitchell was thrice married. His first marriage
occurred March 26, 1818, to Nancy Hill, bom December 27, 1793. She became the
mother of seven children, viz: Melissa, deceased; Alonzo and Thomas E., both
residents of Middlebury township; Margaret A., deceased; Lorenzo D., a farmer
of Charleston; Mercy, wife of Gr. L. Stevens, of Chicago, and Edsell, deceased.
Mrs. Mitchell died August 25, 1829. He was again married in December, 1829,
to Nancy Ottison, who bore him five children, viz: Eichard, Nancy and Jane, all
deceased; William A., of Middlebury, and Harriet, wife of Albert Longbothum, of
Mansfield. The mother died September 15, 1844, and he subsequently married
Mrs. Margaret Bates, a native of Ireland.

Thomas E. Mitchell, son of Edsell Mitchell, and grandson of Eichard
Mitchell, was born on his present farm in Middlebury township, Tioga county,
April 10, 1822, and attended school in the little log building near his father's home.
When twenty-seven years old he rented an adjoining farm, and one year later went
five miles into the forest of Charleston township, cut the first tree on a 100-acre tract,
cleared it up, and resided thereon for twenty-three years. In 1873 he sold this
property and located on his present farm, a part of the old homestead, where he
has since lived. Mr. Mitchell was married February 13, 1848, to Zelina Z. Stebbins,
a daughter of Orrin and Lydia (Treat) Stebbins. She was bom in Eaton, Madison
county. New York, March 11, 1829, and came to this counfy with her mother in
1835. Five children have been born to this marriage, viz: Frances E., who died
in childhood; Edgar A., a resident of Montgomery county; Thomas J., and Walter
B., residents of Middlebury township, and Lettie Z., who died in early youth. Mr.
Mitchell and wife have been life-long members of the Baptist church, and in
politics, adherents of the Eepublican party. While a resident of Charleston town-
ship, he served as collector and supervisor, has filled the ofiice of constable in Mid-
dlebury, and has always taken quite an active interest in public affairs.

William A. Mitchell, eldest living child of Edsell and Nancy (Ottison)
Mitchell, was born where he now resides, in Middlebury township, July 29, 1837.
He attended the common schools in boyhood, and was reared upon the homestead
farm, where he has spent his entire life, with the exception of five years, from
1870 to 1875, when he was operating a grist-mill at Tioga. He has also operated the
McClure mill, near his home, but has devoted his principal attention to farming.
Mr. Mitchell has been twice married. On March 16, 1861, he married Helen E.
Leete, a daughter of Thomas Leete, who bore him three children, viz: Cora C, who
died in childhood; Winfield, a tinsmith in Wellsboro, and Willie E., at home.
Mrs. Mitchell died February 3, 1886, and he was again married on September 20,




^y^^^f^^ ^ ^^/^'C'A-^:^^^^^^''^^'^^



BIOGBAPHICAL SKETCHES. 785



1887, to Anna Prutsman, a daughter of Jacob Prutsman, of Middlebury township.
She was bom July 5, 1851. Mr. Mitchell and wife are members of the Baptist
church. Politically, a Eepublican, he has filled the offices of school director, con-
stable and township clerk.

Waltek B. Mitchell was born in Charleston township, Tioga county, Feb-
ruary 18, 1857, a son of Thomas E. and Zelina Z. Mitchell, and grandson of Edsell
Mitchell. When twenty-one years old he began for himself by cultivating rented
farms, but at the end of four years bought his present property from Charles J.
Humphrey, which embraces 153 acres, located on Hill's creek. Mr. Mitchell was
married November 13, 1878, to Helen White, a daughter of Waldo White, of Mid-
dlebury township, and has two children, Nellie E. and Ava I. In politics, he is
an adherent of the Eepublican party.

John Eoe, a native of Vermont, came from Delaware county. New York, to
Tioga county, Pennsylvania, about 1815, and located on Crooked creek, in Middle-
bury township. He was married in New York state to Waitie Burdick, who bore
him seven children, viz: Cornelius, Eosanna, Henry, Samuel, Mary, Elizabeth
and Jonathan B. Mr. Eoe and wife spent their declining years in this county, and
died on their homestead in Middlebury township.

CoENELiTTS EoE, eldest child of John Eoe, was bom in Orange county. New
York, in 1794, there grew to manhood, and in 1833 came to Tioga county and located
on the Tioga river, in Tioga township, where he found employment on a farm for
a few months. He then purchased ninety acres of land in Middlebury township,
on which he made his home the remaining years of his life. He married Betsey
Mills, to which union were born eight children, as follows: Jane, widow of Jefferson
Button, of West Avon, New York; James M., of Delmar township; Adelia and
Andrew J., both deceased; John 0. and Thomas E., of Middlebury township;
Mercy E., widow of Joseph Haines, of Wilmington, Delaware, and Marian E., wife
of Eobert J. Hill, of Savannah, Georgia. Mrs. Eoe died June 3, 1843, aged forty-
three years, and her husband, June 25, 1861.

James M. Eoe was bom in Delaware county. New York, August 18, 1832, and
is the eldest son of Cornelius Eoe, and grandson of John Eoe. He was reared upon
a farm, and was eleven years old when his parents came to Tioga county. He
lived on the home farm until 1867, a portion of which he had owned since 1855.
In April, 1867, he bought his present farm in Delmar township, one mile and a half
west of Wellsboro, where he has resided up to the present, with the exception of a
few years spent in Wellsboro. Mr. Eoe was married July 1, 1847, to Harriet Paulina
Hutchinson, a daughter of Solomon and Austania (Morse) Hutchinson. She was
bom June 29, 1836, in Guilford, Chenango county. New York; came to Pennsyl-
vania in 1843, and is the mother of the following children: Julia M., born May 1,
1848, and died November 15, 1888; Lewis A., bom December 33, 1849, and died
November 38, 1893; Sheldon N., born January 3, 1851, who resides at home;
Austania J., bom April 3, 1854, and died September 10, 1877; Comelius E., bom
July 2, 1857, married Ida Kizer, January 31, 1883, and has had two children, Guy
H., deceased, and Lettie J.; James E., bom June 8, 1863, and died August 16,
1864, and Byron L., bom November 13, 1864, a practicing physician. The family
attend the Presbyterian church, and both Mr. Eoe and wife are members of the

50



786 HISTOKY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Patrons of Husbandry. In politics, he is a Democrat, and has served as a school
director in Middlebury township twelve years.

John 0. Eoe, a son of Cornelius Eoe, and grandson of John Eoe, was bom in
Delaware county. New York, October 24, 1828, and was five years old when his
parents came to Tioga county. He was reared in Middlebury township, and has fol-
lowed farming and lumbering all his Hfe. With the exception of eighteen months
spent in St. Paul, Minnesota, he has resided upon his present farm, a portion of
which belonged to the old homestead, since his marriage. On March 12, 1864, he
married Mrs. Ann Eliza Deeper, a daughter of Sands Springer. She was bom
March 24, 1834. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and Mr. Roe
is connected with the Patrons of Husbandry. Politically, he is a Republican.

Thomas E. Roe, son of Cornelius and Betsey Eoe, was bom in Orange county,
New York, September 30, 1832, and was about one year old when his parents came
to Tioga county. He was reared upon the homestead in Middlebury township, and
has lived upon the same place since early boyhood. He spent three years in Oregon,
from September, 1891, where he owns 400 acres of timber land. For some years
he has been engaged in selling wagons and farm implements, when not pursuing
his farm duties. On January 13, 1854, he married Hannah Gee, a daughter of
Joseph Gee. She was bom April 30, 1838, and is the mother of nine children, viz:
John C, who is engaged in the lumber business in Oregon; Fred S., deceased;
Clark E., a carpenter and mill man; Thomas A., who died at the age of thirty;
Amos, who died in infancy; Joseph W., a furniture dealer and undertaker at
Keeneyville; Anna M., wife of "Wallace W. Caskey, of Oregon; Hannah G., who died
at the age of fourteen, and Mildred, who died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Roe are
members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and he is connected with the I. 0. 0. F.
In politics, a Republican, he has filled the ofiice of township supervisor fourteen
years.

James Bryant was born in Steuben county, New York, December 31, 1799,
and came to Tioga county with his parents in the year 1800. Here he grew to man-
hood and became quite a successful farmer, owning several hundred acres of land
in Middlebury township. On October 24, 1824, he married Mary Rattze, who was
bom in Tioga county, November 20, 1806, and became the mother of the fallowing
children: Hiram, deceased; Ephraim J., who died in a rebel prison during the Ci-vil
War; Jabez Z., a farmer in the west, and Mary D., deceased. Mr. Bryant died on
July 3, 1857. His wife survived him thirty-two years, dying August 27, 1889.

Hiram Bryant, eldest son of James and Mary Bryant, was bom in Middle-
bury township, Tioga county, June 24, 1825, there grew to manhood, and obtained a
common school education. Mr. Bryant was married three times. In 1848 he
married Jane Smith, who died soon after without issue. He was again married May



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 105 of 163)