Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 110 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 110 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Versal Ives, of the same township; Minnie A., wife of William Ellison, also a resi-
dent of Middlebury, and Abram L., a resident of Galeton, Potter county.

George E. Adamy, merchant and proprietor of saw-mills at Niles Valley, is
a native of New York state, bom September 31, 1851. When twenty-one years old
he went to Norfolk, Virginia, but returned to Tioga county one year later and
foimd employment as an engineer in a saw-mill for three years. For the succeeding
nine years he was engineer at the Niles Valley tannery, and later carried on the
livery business in Elmira, New York. Eeturning to Niles Valley, he was foreman
in the tannery four years. He then purchased his present home and mercantile
business, which he has since successfully carried on, also operating a saw and shingle-
mill. Besides his property at Niles Valley, he is the owner of a farm in Chatham
township. Mr. Adamy was married July 25, 1875, to Mary A. Wedge, daughter
of Samuel Wedge, of Niles Valley, and has six children, viz: May, Burt, Henry S.,
Georgianna, Louisa and Laura E. The family is connected with the Methodist
Episcopal chiirch. In polities, Mr. Adamy is a Eepublican, and is also a member
of the I. 0. 0. F.

Jacob B. Conley was born at Lock, Cayuga county. New York, November 23,
1827. His father, Jacob Conley, was bom in the same county about 1788, and died
in Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1S84, while on a visit to his son. He was twice
married and the father of fourteen children. His first wife, a Miss Howard,
bore him twelve children, of whom Jacob B. was the fifth. The subject of
this sketch was reared in his native county, whence he removed to Tioga county,
Pennsylvania, in 1854. He bought a farm in Chatham township, lived there
up to 1860, then sold out and returned to New York. In 1865 he came back
to this county and purchased a farm in Middlebury township, on the Chatham line,
which he sold two years later and bought the present Conley farm of forty-one acres



BIOGKAPHICAL SKETCHES. §15



in the spring of 1867. While working in the lumber woods, he was killed by a
rolling log, December 23, 1867. His wife, Martha J., whom he married January 1,
1850, was a daughter of Jefferson and Sophronia (Henderson) Bowker. She was
bom January 29, 1832, and bore him four children, viz: Amelia, wife of Charles
Corkins, of Colorado; Brmina M., who married Ira Briggs; Jefferson B., a farmer in
Middlebury, and Sophronia, wife of Alvin Rice, of Charleston township. Mrs. Con-
ley was again married in 1870, to Silas Staples, who died June 3, 1888. His widow
now resides with her son, Jefferson B., in Middlebury township.

Jeffebson B. Conley, only son of Jacob B. and Martha J. Conley, was born
in Chatham township, Tioga county, September 1, 18G5. When fifteen years of
age he commenced working out as a farm hand, at which he continued for three
years. He then returned to the homestead farm, and bought the property, on which
he has since resided. For five years he fanned on a small scale and engaged in sell-
ing wagons and farming implements and running a threshing machine. In 1888
he bought what is known as the Ralph Button property. Six years later he also
purchased the George Weller place, and commenced farming on a larger scale,
keeping quite a large dairy. In 1894 he was burned out, sustaining a heavy loss,
but the same year he rebuilt. Mr. Conley was married April 13, 1879, to Alice West,
a daughter of Philander West, who has borne him four children, viz: Lola E., de-
ceased; Martha J., Nina E., and Wand V. Mr. and Mrs. Conley are members of
the Methodist Episcopal church, and also of the Patrons of Husbandry. Politically,
he is an independent voter, and is connected with the K. 0. T. M. society.

Thomas Colegeove, a native of Rhode Island, bom Pebraary 32, 1785, was
a son of Oliver Colegrove, a grandson of Eli Colgrove, and a great-grandson of
Francis Colegrove, who came from England about 1667, and located at Warwick,
Rhode Island. Thomas came to Tioga county in 1841, and settled in Lawrence
township, where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits until his death, February
3, 1854. He was married in Rhode Island, to Polly Brightman, who bore him ten
children, viz: Taber, Zachariah P., John N., Charlotte and Marilda, all of whom
are dead; Willet S., a resident of Knoxville; Andrew J., who lives in Faxmington;
George T., of Middlebury; Henry B., a farmer in Lawrence township, and Aurilla,
wife of Robert Babeock, of Lawrence. Mrs. Colegrove died in December, 1864,
sun'iving her husband over ten years.

Geoege Thomas Colegeove was bom in Troupsburg, New York, August 19,
1830, a son of Thomas and Polly Colegrove. He was eleven years old when his
parents came to Tioga county, and he grew to manhood in Lawrence township.
When twenty-three years of age he purchased land in Farmington township, lived
there until 1865, and then bought a farm near Holiday, in Middlebury township,
which he soon afterwards sold. In 1873 he bought his present farm of 145 acres,
a part of which lies in Farmington township, and has since been engaged in cultivat-
ing it. In 1853 he married Clarissa E. Bradley, a daughter of Henry Bradley, of
Farmington township. She was bom July 27, 1837, and has borne him six chil-
dren, viz: Eugene T., a farmer in Tioga township; Martha J., wife of Frank Lutz,
of Middlebury; James E., who died September 18, 1887, aged twenty-seven years;
Warren W., who lives in Steuben county, New York; Alma A., wife of Byron D.
Paris, of Lawrence township, and Cora L., wife of Abram Ballman, of Middlebury.



gj^g HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.



Mrs. Colegrove is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Politically, Mr.
Colegrove is a Kepublican, and a well-known, successful farmer.

Geoege Eude was bom in Connecticut, in 1837, removed with his parents to
Cayuga county, New York, when about two years of age, and there received a good
education. He came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1853; remained eight years,
and then returned to Cayuga county, New York. A few years later he returned to
Tioga and purchased the present Eude farm in Middlebury township. Here
he devoted his time and attention to agriculture for the succeeding thirty
years, dying on the old homestead, April 17, 1893. He married Lucy A. Saxbury,
a daughter of Adam Saxbury, of Chatham toAvnship, to which union were bom
four children, as follows: Abigail, wife of George Brimmer, of Osceola; Jonas,
deceased; Orson, bom July 7, 1859, and George, bom May 7, 1869. Orson and
George live upon the old homestead, which is owned by the latter. Their mother
makes her home with them. They are engaged in the business of hay pressing,
threshing, shingle sawing, wood cutting, and feed grinding, by steam power, own
two large engines, and carry on a profitable trade. Both are adherents of the Ee-
publican party, and George is also a member of the Patrons of H'usbandry.

John T. Puhvis, county surveyor, was bom in Cumberland, Maine, June 10,
1823, a son of Adam and Euth (Tibbets) Purvis, natives of Maine, and grandson of
Adam Purvis, a native of Scotland. His father was a clothier, and died at Yar-
mouth, Maine, January 15, 1878, aged seventy-eight years. His mother died
August 9, 1876, aged seventy-six years. They were the parents of eight children,
viz: Andrew, deceased; John T., of Niles Valley; Julia, wife of Mr. Cobb, of Yar-
mouth, Maine; Susan, deceased; Buthetta, wife of Andrew Leighton, of Yarmouth;
and Anna, Jane and Mary, all of whom are dead. John T. received an academic
education, graduating from Lewiston Falls Academy. He learned the cabinet
maker's trade, and in 1842 went to Williamsport, Pennsylvania, where he was
engaged in lumbering two years. He then located on Pine creek, near the site of
Ansonia, Tioga county, and carried on a large lumber business for nine years. He
next removed to Sinnamahoning, Cameron county, as superintendent for Phelps,
Dodge & Company, extensive lumber operators, which position he filled seven years.
Tn the meantime he had studied the art of surveying, and the last year he spent
with Phelps, Dodge & C^ompany he was employed in that capacity. Eemoving to
Wellsboro, Tioga county, Mr. Purvis formed a partnership with Calvin Kelly and
opened a general store, which they carried on two years. In 1867 he located at
Niles Valley, in Middlebury township, purchased his present residence, and erected
a store building, in which he conducted the mercantile business up to 1885. He
has been station agent at Niles ■\''alley since the Pall Brook railroad was built, but
has devoted a great deal of his time to siirveying, and is at present filling the office
of county surveyor. Mr. Purvis was married February 11, 1855, tO' Harriet E.
Herrington, a daughter of Eeiiben Herrington, one of the eai-ly settlers on Pine
creek, where Mrs. Purvis was bom April 17, 1830. She is a member of the Presby-
terian church. Politically, Mr. Purvis is a Democrat, is also a member of the F.
& A. M., and is one of the prominent citizens of Middlebury.

Aaeon Vandeehoof, a native of Kew Jersey, was bom September 27, 1814,
and grew to maturity in that State. He followed farming there up to I867', when



BIOGBAPHIOAL SKETCHES. 817

lie came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and purchased 103 acres of land in the
western part of Middlebury township. Here he continued in agricultural pursuits
uiitil 1886, in which year he sold out to his son, George, and returned to New Jer-
sey, where he died, February 25, 1893. His wife, Delila Wagner, was bom in New
Jersey, June 22, 1817, and reared five children, viz: Lydia A., wife of Theodore
PauUison, of New Jersey: Susie, wife of John P. Lantz, of the same State; Ophelia,
who died at the age of forty-three; Aaron, a farmer of Tioga township, and George,
of Middlebury. Mrs. Vanderhoof is a resident of New Jersey.

Gbokge Vandeehoof was bom in Passaic county. New Jersey, October 25, 1852,
youngest child of Aaron Vanderhoof. He came to this county with his parents in
1867, and worked on the home farm up to 1881. He then moved to Hammond,
where he first rented and afterwards purchased a faim. Five years later he bought
the old homestead, and soon after sold his farm at Hammond. In 1891 he pur-
chased fifty-three acres adjoining the home farm, upon which he has lived for the
pa^t ten years, devoting his attention to agriculture. Mr. Vanderhoof married
Majy D. Spaulding, a daughter of Sem P. Spaulding, in 1876. She was bom June
17, 1851, and is the mother of the following children: Sem P., a resident of New
Jersey; Mary E., John, Monroe H., Susie L., Clyde, Jennie M.,who died in childhood;
Dorothy, and one that died in infancy. Mrs. Vanderhoof is a member of the L.
.T. M., while her husband is connected with the K. 0. T. M., and the P. of H. In
politics, the family are adherents of the Eepublican party.

John B. Faee, Se., a native of England, came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania,
about 1800, and finally settled on a farm in Sullivan township. He was a soldier
in the War of 1812. His wife, Lydia, was a native of Germany, and bore him the
following children, viz: John B., William, Jacob, Josiah, Seely, a resident of
Chemung county. New York; Czar, a resident of Jackson township; Polly, Lucy,
Betsey and Lydia. Mr. Farr and wife died at the age of ninety-four and eighty-
six years, respectively.

John B. Uaee, eldest child of John B. Farr, Sr., was born in Tioga county,
Pennsylvania, in 1804. In early life he was a mail carrier and stage driver, and later
engaged in the saw-mill business. He maiTied Caroline Ives, who bore him the fol-
lowing children, viz: Adelaide, Jacob, Isaac and Sarah J., all of whom are dead;
Lydia A., wife of Charles Dimmick, of Tioga; Lafayette, of Middlebury; Juliette
and Samuel, both deceased; Barney and Albert, residents of Elkland, and Allen,
deceased. Mr. Farr died in 1860, and his wife in 1891, aged eighty years.

Lafayette Fake was born at Seely Creek, New York, June 15, 1845, a son of
John B. and Caroline Farr, and grandson of John B. Farr, Sr. In the autumn of
1863, when but eighteen years old, he enlisted in Company D, Eleventh Pennsyl-
vania Cavalry, and participated in the battles of Peach Bottom, Black Water, City
Point, Johnson Farm, Eeam's Station, Darbytown, Five Forks, Berksville Station,
and was present at the surrender of Lee. He was discharged in September, 1865,
at Philadelphia, and returned to his home in this county. He followed lumbering
for a time, then learned the carpenter's trade, and finally engaged in farming, which
has since been his occupation. He owns a farm of 115 acres near Hammond, which
he has rented, and lives on the farm of A. C. Cole. Mr. Farr was married September
6, 1874, to Mary A. Eeiger, and has two children, Jennie D. and Nida M. In poli-

52



818 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.



tics, a Eepublican, he has served two terms as supervisor ajid one term as assistant
assessor of his township. He is a m.ember of the I. 0. 0. F., and the G. A. R.
societies.

GrEOEGE W. Pbckham was horn in Middletown, Ehode Island, May. 14, 1829, a
son of Timothy and Zoa (Maxen) Peckham, natives of Rhode Island. His father,
who died February 3, 1834, was a son of Philip Peckham, a soldier in the War of
1813, who owned and sold to the government the land on which Port Adams stands,
at Newport, Ehode Island. George W. is the fourth in a family of six children,
viz: Cyrus, Sarah, Phoebe, George W., James, deceased, and Annie W. The
mother died in 1879. The subject of this sketch received a common school educa-
tion in his native town, and when nineteen years old went to Providence, where he
learned the machinist's trade. He worked there up to 1859, and then went to
Philadelphia and embarked in the printing business, but returned to Rhode Island
two years later and engaged in farming. In 1881 he came to Tioga county, Penn-
sylvania, and located on his present farm of 100 acres, then the property of Ezra
Potter. Mr. Peckham married Matilda Potter, a daughter of Ezra and Eunice
(Sweet) Potter, June 30, 1851. Nine children have been bom to this marriage, as
follows: Ida E., deceased wife of Charles Monroe, of Warren, Ehode Island; Zoa A.,
wife of E. A. Newman, of Bristol, same State; George E., proprietor of a book store
in New York City; Albert S., mercantile agent of Brooklyn, New York; Josephine
L., a trained nurse of New York City; Frank 0., cashier and book-keeper in a whole-
sale grocery of New York; James S., deceased; William E., who lives at home, and
Royal D., a merchant tailor of Wellsboro. Mr. and Mrs. Peckham are members
of the First Baptist church, and the P. of H., and in politics, adherents of the Re-
publican party.

Louis Albert Potter was bom at Albion, Orleans county. New York, October
11, 1837, a son of Dr. Stephen M. and Ann (Harding) Potter. Dr. Potter was bom
in Washington county. New York, in 1794, a son of Benjamin Potter, a sea captain.
He studied medicine under Dr. H. P. Moore, of Manlius, New York, and com-
menced practice at Albion, whence he removed to Cazenovia, where he practiced his
profession the greater part of his life. He served in the War of 1812, represented
his county in the General Assembly in 1845, and was sheriff of Madison county.
New York, three years. He was an ardent Democrat, a prominent physician, and
a respected citizen. He died at Manlius, New York, October 4, 1885, aged ninety-
one years. Dr. Potter was thrice married. His first wife, Polly Moore, bore him
one daughter, Maria, deceased wife of John C. Remon, of Syracuse. His second
wife, Hulda Collins, died without issue. His third wife, Ann Harding, was born
at East Hampton, Connecticut, in August, 1810, a daughter of Daniel and Betsey
Harding, and became the mother of eight children, six of whom died in infancy.
The two surviving children are Louis A., of Middlebury township, and Charles L.,
who lives in Syracuse. Mrs. Dr. Potter died in 1893. Louis A. obtained a common
school education, and adopted farming as his vocation. He first came to Tioga
county in 1859, where he found employment with a lumber firm to scale logs and
measure lumber. He settled permanently in this county in 1879, purchasing his
present farm near Middlebury Center, to which he has since devoted his attention.
In 1861 he married Julia A. Potter, a daughter of Henry H. and Malinda G. (Ste-



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 819



Yens) Potter. She was born in Tioga in 1840, and has two sons, L. Clarence, a pattern
maker, residing at Syracuse, and Jerome V., who lives with his parents. Politi-
cally, Mr. Potter is a stanch Democrat.

James Lewis Beees, physician and surgeon, Holiday, was bom at Danby,
Tompkins county, New York, November 18, 1859. Ilis parents, Andrew J. and
Jemima (Kightmyer) Beers, were natives of New York state. His father was a
wagonmaker, and died at Danby, February 23, 1891, aged sixty^six years. His
mother died May 17, 1885, aged forty-five years. James L. was the eldest in a
family of four children, the others being Fred. E., a resident of Ithaca, New York;
Anna, wife of Elbert Hill, of Danby, and George A., of Holiday, Middlebury town-
ship. After graduating from the Danby High School, the subject of this sketch
commenced the study of medicine under Dr. W. H. Fisher, of Spencer, New York,
later attended lectures at University Medical College, New York, and graduated
from that institution in March, 1883. He began practice at Preeville, Tompkins
county. New York, removed one year later to Sayre, Bradford county, Pennsyl-
vania, practiced there one year, and then located at Willseyville, New York, where
he remained eighteen months. At the end of this time he went to Colorado, fol-
lowed his profession there for a year and a half, and then returned to Pennsylvania.
He located at Holidaytown, Tioga county, where he has since built up a lucrative
practice. Dr. Beers has been twice married. His first marriage occurred April G,
1883, to AUie Shepard, a daughter of Salomons Shepard, of Spencer, New York,
who bore him one daughter, Luella. His second marriage took place September
6, 1888, to Cora B. White, a daughter of M. G. White, of Holiday, Tioga county.
He is a member of the I. 0. 0. P., and in politics, a Eepublican.

William T. Compton, a native of Ithaca, New York, and a son of John Comp-
ton, was bom June 31, 1829, and learned the miller's and millwright's trades in his
native State, which he followed there up to 1885. In that year he came to Tioga
county, and with his son, Jesse, took charge of the Central Mills, at Holiday, at the
mouth of Hill's creek, which he continued to operate until his death, July 6, 1890.
Mr. Compton was a well-known and successful miller, and did a good business.
On July 4, 1856, he married Jane Butcher, of Post Creek, New York, born Decem-
ber 30, 1832, to which union were bom three children, viz: Eobert A., who lives
in Michigan; Luanna, wife of W. H. Hamilton, of Coming, and Jesse, of Holiday,
Middlebury township Mrs. Compton died June 30, 1880.

Jesse Compton-, manager of the Central Mills, Holiday, Middlebury township,
Tioga county, was born at Cuba, Allegany county. New York, August 9, J 860.
When sixteen years of age he went to work with his father to learn the millwright
and miller's trade, and has followed that business up to the present, having been
connected with the Central Mills since coming to Tioga county, in 1885. Mr.
Compton was married December 18, 1887, to Cora E. Lyon, a daughter of Henry
Lyon, of Charleston township, to which union have been born five children, viz:
Jane L., Alta M., Pearl L., William T., and Henry L. In politics, Mr. Compton is
a Eepublican. Since taking charge of the Central Mills, he has built up a good
trade and increased their reputation among the people of Tioga county.

Lemuel Jackson was a native of Bradford county, Pennsylvania, bom in 1797.
there grew to manhood and learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed in his



820 niSTOKY OF TIOGA COTTNTT.

native county until the forties. He then came to Tioga county and settled on a
farm near Osceola, remoTing a few years later into Middlebury township, and
tinally to Chatham, where he died in 1891. He was twice married. By his first
wife there were seven children born to him, viz: Smith and Isaiah, both residents
of Bradford county; Miner, who lives in Chatham township; George H., of Nelson,
Pennsylvania; Fancy, wife of Abisha Woodward, of Iowa; Paulina, wife of Edward
Shepard, of Bradford county, and Jane Ann., wife of Mordecai Schoonover, of Brad-
ford county. His second wife was Sarah Jane Clark, a native of Bradford county,
who bore him nine children, as follows: Esther, wife of Joseph Crippen, of Ne-
braska; Isabella, wife of Albert Saxbury, of Chatham township; Lemuel W., a
resident of Clymer; James and Jerry, both of whom live in Middlebury; Martin
v., of Charleston; General H., of Chatham; Amos, who lives at Academy Comers,
and Flora, wife of Jefferson Chappel, of Deerfield. Mrs. Jackson resides with her
daughter, Mrs. Saxbury, in Chatham township.

Jebht Jackson was born in Deerfield township, Tioga county, June 10, 1852,
a son of Lemuel and Sarah Jane Jackson. He obtained a common school education,
and on attaining his majority commenced learning the blacksmith's trade with
M. L. Wilson, of Keeneyville, and has since worked at Mansfield, Holiday and
Chatham Valley. In the spring of 1886 he removed from Chatham Valley to West
Valley, where he has since built up a good business, making a specialty of horse-
shoeing. In 1880 he married Kittie Niles, a daughter of Wallace Mies, and has
three children, viz: Cleve Merton, Nellie Myrtle and Pahy Homer. Mr. and Mrs.
Jackson are members of the Free Baptist church, in which he has filled the office
of deacon, and is at present one of the trustees. He is also a member of the K. 0.
T. M., and in politics, a Prohibitionist.

FAEMINGTOK TOWNSHIP.

John C. Eobb, a son of John Eobb, was born in Muncy township, Lycoming
county, Pennsylvania, November 2, 1809. His grandfather, Eobert Eobb, was an
ensign in the French and Indian war, in 1758, and one of the first settlers of Muncy
township. When about eleven years of age John C. came to Tioga county and
lived for a time with Aaron Niles, at Niles Valley. He afterwards went to Law-
renceville and worked several years for Charles Ford. About 1831 he came into
Farmington township, and soon after bought a farm, a part of the Bingham estate,
in the Peter Mourey neighborhood, which had previously been occupied by a man
named Compton, one of the first settlers of the township. Mr. Eobb married Susan
Locke, who became the mother of four children, viz: Eachel, deceased wife of
Eev. Francis Eand, of West Berlin, Massachusetts; Levi E., deceased; Minerva,
wife of Jeremiah E. Green, of Tioga, and James L., a resident of Wellsboro. Levi
E. enlisted September 18, 1861, and was mustered in as sergeant of Company H,
Forty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers; re-enlisted January 1, 1864, and was pro-
moted to second lieutenant January 24, 1865, and later to the rank of captain. He
participated in many battles and engagements. In the Wilderness a part of his
brigade was captured and marched off southward, but Lieutenant Eobb determined
to escape and broke for liberty. The guard fired on him and his clothes were
pierced by thirty-two bullets, but he escaped safely and comparatively uninjured.
Eejoining his regiment, he was mortally wounded at Fort Hell, in front of Peters-



BIOGSAPHIOAL SKETCHES. 821



burg, April 2, 1865, and died at City Point Hospitai seven days later. John C.
Eobb remained on the homestead in Farmington until 1868, when he sold it to his
son, James L., and removed to Tioga, where he died October 7, 1877. His wife sur-
vived until April 6, 1890, dying at the age of seventy-two years. In politics, he
wa^ a Democrat until 1860, when he became a Eepublican and voted for Abraham
Lincoln. He served as a justice of the peace from 1840 to 1845, and as a county
auditor from 1851 to 1854. In religion, he was a Presbyterian, and one of the
organizers and leading members of the Presbyterian church of Farmington, in
which body he served as an elder for many years.

Waltek Van" Dusen, a native of Schoharie coimty. New York, settled in
Farmington township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1835, where he cleared and
improved a farm of 130 acres. In 1870 he removed to 'Wellsboro, and died there
in April, 1879, at the age of eighty-six years. He married Betsey Thorne, and
they were the parents of eleven children, viz: Hannah, who married Jonas Seely;
John, Maria, who married Ansel Wright; Catherine, who married Franklin Rus-
sell; "William, Polly, who married E. D. Fish; Milo, Ann, who married Robert



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 110 of 163)