Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 111 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 111 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Potter; Stephen, Andrew, and James, who was killed April 2, 1865, in front of
Petersburg, Virginia, while serving in the Union army.

William Van Dusbn was born in Schoharie county, ISTew York, January 8,
1822, and came with his parents, Walter and Betsey Van Dusen, to Farmington
township, Tioga county, in 1835. On attaining his majority he purchased a tract
of fifty acres in Farmington, for which he went in debt $200, and before the principal
was all paid, the interest amounted to $108. He subsequently added to his original
purchase until he owned ninety acres, which he sold. In 1863 he bought the Lemuel
Cady homestead of 100 acres, and subsequently added thereto 100 acres more. A
good share of the last tract he cleared and improved, and resided upon this farm until
his death. Mr. Van Dusen married Emily Cady, a daughter of Lemuel and Ruth
(Gleason) Cady, to which union were born four children, viz: Oscar A., .Tosephine,
deceased; Frank and Fred, the last two being twins. In politics, he wa.o a stanch
Republican, and in religious belief, a Methodist. He held many of the local ofl&ces
in Farmington, was highly respected in the community, where he spent nearly sixty
years of his Ufe, and always took an active part in public affairs.

Frank Van Dusen, son of AVilliam Van Dusen, and grandson of Walter Van
Dusen, was bom in Farmington township, September 29, 1863. He was reared
upon the old homestead, and obtained a good education in the public schools, and
the State Normal School at Mansfield, and gradiiated at Allen's Business College,
Elmira, New York, in 1884. He then entered the employ of the Fall Brook Rail-
road Company, as station agent at Harrison Valley, Potter county, remaining there
one year. He was afterwards one of the keepers in the New York State Reforma-
tory, at Elmira, which position he held nine m.onths. In the autumn of 1887 he
returned home, and taught one term of school. In 1888-89 he was constable of
Farmington township, since which time he has been engaged in farming on the old
homestead. It comprises 100 acres, and he also owns 107 acres known as the John
Van Dusen farm. He is an ardent Republican, and during the session of 1892,
he was door-keeper of the House at Harrisburg, and was a delegate to the state con-
vention in the same city in 1894. On June 30, 1887, Mr. Van Dusen married Dell



822 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Hall, a daughter of George M. and Sarah (Green) Hall, of Farmmgixjii, and has had
two children, Gusta and Euth, both deceased. Mr. Van Dusen is a member of the
Methodist Episcopal church, and also of the I. 0. 0. F. He is one of the enterpris-
ing citizens of his township.

EoBEET Casbeee, a son of "William and Catherine (Jay) Casbeer, was bom at
Owego, Tioga coimty, New York, September 4, 1811, and was reared in Osceola,
Tioga county, Pennsylvania, from the age of five years, in the family of Deacon
Elihu Hill. On attaining manhood he worked Mr. Hill's farm five years, and for
five years afterwards was engaged in farming in WoodhuU, Wew York. In 1841
he settled in Farmington township, Tioga county, where he cleared and improved
upwards of 300 acres of land, upon wliich he lived for many years, removing late
in life to Osceola, and dying in 1893. His first wife was Susan House, and they
were the parents of the following children: Ann, wife of Aaron E. Baker; Benja-
min, deceased; Catherine J., wife of John E. Smith; Daniel E., Emily, wife of
Jerome Spencer; Flora, wife of Benjamin Adams, and Gratia, wife of Fred Gaig.
Mr. Casbeer was a man of positive character and decided views, and possessed a vig-
orous and energetic nature. He was ever ready to help the needy, often refusing
to sell his farm produce for money, saying to the would-be purchaser, "You have
money and can buy of others, while I have poor neighbors to whom I must sell and
wait for my pay." His wife, Susan, was, in every sense of the word, a helpmeet.
Brought up in an atmosphere of refinement, a school teacher before her marriage,
and possessing a naturally self-reliant disposition, she was in every way qualified to
help make a Christian home. She was an earnest member of the Presbyterian
church. About two years after Mrs. Casbeer's death, Mr. Casbeer married for his
second wife, Mrs. Maria Barker Fish, an estimable Christian woman, kind and
efficient in all her ways. She survived him nearly two years. Mr. Casbeer was a
member of the Presbyterian church, a sincere and consistent Christian, and did
much to shape and mould the moral sentiment of the community in which he lived.
He always took a prominent part in public affairs, and served as assessor of Farming-
ton township seventeen successive terms. In polities, he was a Eepublican.

Daniel E. Casbbee was born in Farmington township, Tioga county, Feb-
ruary 23, 1852, and is the only surviving son of Eobert and Susan Casbeer. He
grew to manhood upon the old homestead, and was educated in the common schools
and at the Osceola High School. Farming has been his life vocation, and he has
lived on his present farm of 140 acres since 1877. Mr. Casbeer was married No-
vember 8, 1876, to Sarah Peters, a daughter of James E. and Priscilla (Smith)
Peters, of Farmington township. Four children are the fruits of this union, viz:
Bennie L., Fred D., Grace E. and Charlie E. Mr. Casbeer has been a member of
the Methodist Episcopal church for twenty years, and is a trustee in the Pleasant
Valley society. In polities he is a Eepublican, and is a member of the I F
the P. of H., and K. S. F. I. ' ' "'

Caelos House was born in Connecticut, November 8, 1812, son of Ansel aad
Nancy (Beel) House, early settlers of Farmington township. They located on the
farm now occupied by W. C. House about 1830, and there spent the remaining years
of their lives. Their children were as follows: Eockwell, Andrew, Carlos, and Eliza
who married Daniel Mourey. Carlos assisted in clearing the old homestead, where



BIOGKAPHIOAL SKETCHES. 823



he resided until his death. He was instrumental in having a postoffiee established
at Farmington Center, of which he was the first incumbent, holding the office eight
years. He was married October 3, 1853, to Adelia Lee — bom July 28, 1834, in
Milford, Otsego county, New York — a daughter of Barnes and Azubah (Sergrents)
Lee, who bore him two sons, Willie C, and Clarence M., born May 8, 1855, and died
in November, 1855. Mr. House died December 11, 1887.

Willie C. House, only living cliild of Carlos House, was bom on the old
homestead in Farmington township, Tioga county, December 15, 1857, and has
spent his entire life upon the farm. He obtained a common school education, and
has made farming his life vocation. On June 10, 1893, he married Bertha Dodge,
bom June 9, 1873, a daughter of Alpha W. and Mahala (Smith) Dodge, of Chatham
township, and has two daughters, Helen L., born March 3, 1894, and Julia Zella,
bom September 24, 1895. Mr. House is a member of the Patrons of Husbandry,
and in politics, an adherent of the Democratic party.

Elisha Soule was born in Massachusetts, May 15, 1806, a son of Eowland
and Mary (Phelps) Soule. In early life he removed to Truxton, Cortland county,
New York, where he was married May 10, 1826, to Polly Colgrove, a daughter of
William and Susannah (Brightman) Colgrove. She was born in Ehode Island,
whence the family removed to New York state. Eleven children were the fruits
of this union, viz: Comelia S., wife of William P. Abbott, of Monroe county, Wis-
consin; Sarah F., wife of James D. Abbott, of the same eoimty; WiUiam L., who
entered the United States service in March, 1863, and contracted typhoid fever,
from which he died at his father's home in Farmington, October 2, following;
Wesley V., a resident of Monroe county, Wisconsin; James E., who enlisted in
Company H, Forty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers, in September, 1861, and served
with his regiment until the battle of Spottsylvania, May 10, 1864, where he was
killed; Catherine E., widow of J. D. Greenfield; Perry E., who enlisted in Com-
pany L, Second Pennsylvania Cavalry, in March, 1862, served with his regiment
until 1864, when he was taken prisoner and confined at Andersonville until De-
cember of the same year, when he was paroled and sent to Annapolis, Maryland,
where he died, December 31, 1864; Amanda M., wife of George W. Bowen, of
Farmington; Omar H., who enlisted in Company L, Second Pennsylvania Cavalry,
in February, 1864, and served until the close of the war, and is now a resident of
Steuben county. New York; Julia A., deceased wife of Charles Baker, of Law-
rence township, and Lelia L., wife of Henry J. Weltroth, of Williamsport. In
1830 Mr. Soule settled in Farmington township, Tioga county, removing a few
years later into Middlebury township. About 1839 he located near Keeneyville, on
the Griffin farni. After living there seven years he sold it and retumed to Farm-
ington. In 1849 he purchased the farm where his son-in-law, George W. Bowen,
now lives, upon which he resided until his death. By sturdy industry he cleared
and improved this property, erecting substantial buildings, and bringing the land
to a high state of cultivation. Mr. Soule was a stanch Eepublican, and both he and
his wife were consistent members of the Methodist church. He died April 5, 1871,
and his wife, November 21, 1885.

Geohge W. Bowen was born in Farmington township, Tioga county, March
4, 1839, a son of David and Matilda (Winser) Bowen, formerly of Ehode Island.



824 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

From the age of two yeaxs he was reared in the family of Peter Mourey, of Farm-
ington, with whom he remained working on the farm until his majority. On Jime
30, 1861, he married Amanda M. Soule, a daughter of Elisha and Polly Soule, to
which union have been born seven children, viz: Stella F., Grant and Daisy, all
of whom are dead; James E., a resident of Philadelphia; "Wesley G., a resident of
Corning; Votcott E. and Alfred. On September 2, 1864, Mr. Bowen enlisted in
Company H, Two Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served with
his regiment until the close of the war. In August, 1865, he bought the Preston
farm in Farmington township, where he lived until 1873, in which year he located
upon his father-in-law's homestead, which has since been his place of residence.
He also owns a home in Tioga. Mr. Bowen is a member of Tioga Eiver Lodge,
No. 797, I. 0. 0. F., of Tioga, and both he and his wife are charter members of
Fair View Grange, No. 817, of Farmington. In polities, he is a Eepublican. Mr.
and Mrs. Bowen are members of Farmington Hill Presbyterian church.

Hbney Smith, a native of Jasper, Steuben county, New York, was bom Jan-
uary 39, 1813, and came to Nelson, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, before attaining
his majority, where he worked by the month. After his maniage he settled in
Nelson township permanently. In early manhood he engaged in lumbering, in
which business he continued several years, and later followed agriculture, clearing
and improving the farm now occupied by his son-in-law, Jerome L. Bosard, upon
which he resided until his death, in January, 1894. He married Phoebe M. Cook,
a daughter of John Cook, of Nelson, to which union were born seven children, viz:
"Willard, Priscilla, widow of James E. Peters; Elizabeth, wife of Charles E. Howland;
Maria, wife of Harry Baxter; John E., Alice, wife of Jerome L. Bosard, and Frances,
wife of Walter Pease. Mr. Smith was an ardent Eepublican, and in religion, a
member of the Methodist Episcopal church.

John E. Smith was born in Nelson township, Tioga county, January 8, 1848,
and is a son of Henry Smith. He was reared in his native township, ajid was
educated in the public schools and Union Academy. Since 1870 he has been engaged
in farming in Fajmington township. On December 23, 1868, he married Catherine,
a daughter of Eobert and Susan (House) Casbeer, of Farmington, and has four
children, viz: Henry B., Lena E., Susan H., and Phoebe M. Politically, Mr.
Smith is a Eepublican, and has served three years as constable and collector of his
township. He is a member of the F. & A. M., the I. 0. 0. F., and the P. of H. so-
cieties, and is one of the prominent farmers of this vicinity.

"William Baxter, a native of Delaware county. New York, bom in 1803, was
a son of Nathan Baxter, a Eevolutionary soldier, and came to Tioga county, Penn-
sylvania, about 1836. He settled in Nelson, where he engaged in the manufacture
of fumiture for several years, but later located on a farm in Farmington township,
where he resided until his death. His wife, Eachel, was a daughter of James Paul,
of Delaware county, New York, and bore him four children, viz: Sarah A., who
married Myron A. Johnson; Alva, William H., and Adeline, who married Henry
Mourey. Mr. Baxter was a Democrat, and though not a member of any church,
was a regular attendant at the services of the Methodist Episcopal society.

Alva Baxteh, eldest son of William Baxter, was bom in Delaware county.
New York, July 6, 1829, and came to Tioga county with his parents when about



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. §25



seven yeaxs old. He attended the common schools of Nelson, and later learned the
carpenter's trade, which he has followed more or less ever since. About 1863 he
settled on the farm he now occupies in Faxmington township, embracing 180 acres
of land, the greater part of which he has cleared and improved. In 1855 he mar-
ried Lorency Gleason, a daughter of Warren and Sarah A. (Treat) Gleason, of
Farmington. Three children have been bom to them, viz: Sarah A., Eachel, wife
of Charles Davenport, and Edmn. Mr. Baxter is a Democrat, in politics, and has
been assessor of Fannington several times. He is a member of the I. 0. 0. F., and
the P. of H., and is one of the leading farmers of his township.

JuLiFS A. Phelps Mas bom in New England, April 19, 1803. His parents,
Oliver and Eoxanna Phelps, natives of New England, were pioneers of Nelson town-
ship, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where both resided until their death. They
had six children, viz: Lydia, who married Gershom Clark; Julius A., Gilbert,
Oliver, George W., and Fidelia, who jnarried Joseph White. The subject of this
sketch settled in Mansfield, Tioga county, in early manhood, and was engaged in
farming in that locality up to 1842, when he removed to Farmington township, to
the farm now owned by his son, Warren. He cleared and improved this property,
and resided on it until his death, January 2, 1883. His wife, Clarissa, was a daugh-
ter of Benjamin Worden, of Potter county, Pennsylvania, and bore him five chil-
dren, as follows: Maria, M'ho married Charles Webster; Caroline, who became the
wife of Benjamin Powers; Wesley, Orilla, wife of Ambrose Place, and Warren.

WakbejST Phelps, youngest child of .Julius A. Phelps, was bom in Mansfield,
Tioga county, October 9, 1838, and was reared on the old homestead in Farmington
township. He attended the common schools of his district, and has lived upon
his present farm, which was settled by his father, since he was three years old.
February 24, 1858, he married Maria Teaehman, a daughter of Abram and Louisa
(Brimmer) Teaehman, of Osceola. In politics, he is a Democrat, is a member of
the I. 0. 0. P., and is one of the substantial farmers of his township.

Eetjben- H. Close was bom at Locke, Cayuga coxmty, New York, November
20, 1832, a son of Peter M. and Lucretia (Holmes) Close. He came with his parents
to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and settled in the southeastern part of Farmington
township, on the farm now occupied by E. W. Close. He remained at home until
his majority, and for a few years after he was engaged in the nursery business at
Elmira, New York. On September 15, 1861, he enlisted in Company H, Forty-
fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and soon after entering the service he was commis-
sioned second lieutenant of that company. He was, however, taken sick and was
honorably discharged for disability about a year later. Mr. Close was married
February 16, 1864, to Esther 0. Hurlbut, a daughter of Lyman and Caroline (Sco-
viUe) Hurlbut, of Lawrence township, to which union have been born the following
children: Carrie H., wife of Frank M. Leonard, a lawyer of Wellsville, New York-
Mary A., Eandolph E., who died at the age of tw.enty-four; William E Mead P '
Fred, deceased, and one that died in infancy. Mr. Close was engaged in merchan'-
dismg at Farmington Hill for a few years after the war, and later purchased a farm
of 110 acres, where he has since resided, owning one of the best improved farms in
the township. He devotes his whole attention to the cultivation and improvement
of his land, and makes a specialty of fruit growing. He has served as a school



826 HISTORY OF TIOGA OOITNTT.

director for twenty-five years, being either secretary or treasurer of the board during
this period, with the exception of one year, and has also filled the offices of assessor
or assistant assessor for fifteen years and those of township clerk or treasurer for
ten consecutive years. Mrs. Close is a member of Farmington Hill Presbyterian
church. He is connected with the Masonic order, and is also a charter member of
Wallace Bogart Post, No. 363, G. A. E., of Nelson.

Jacob B. Doan was bom in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, in 1813, and was a
son of Joshua Doan. He came from Scipio, New York, to Tioga county, Pennsyl-
vania, in 1841, and after drifting about the county for some years, finally settled
in Chatham township, where he cleared and improved a farm, in the meantime work-
ing at the carpenter's trade. He died upon the homestead in 1887. His wife was
Sally Churchill, and bore him seven children, viz: Andrew J., Elizabeth, who mar-
ried Charles Lines; Eliza, wife of Nathan Bard; Sylvester, who married Polly
Butler; Mary, wife of Albert Baker; Sally, wife of George Baker, and Jacob, who
married Mary Owlett. Mr. Doan was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
He was originally an adherent of the Whig party, later a Eepublican, and finally
an advocate of the Greenback doctrines.

Andeew Jackson- Boas was born in Scipio, New York, July 8, 1833, and
came to Tioga county with his parents in 1841, where he has since lived. He learned
the carpenter's trade, and followed that business for fifteen years. In 1868 he
located in Farmington township, and since 1872 he has resided on the farm he now
occupies, comprising 100 acres, the greater part of which he has cleared and im-
proved. In 1857 he married Melissa E. Eowley, a daughter of Orlando and Jane
Eowley, of Farmington, and has one daughter, Nellie E. Politically, he is a Pro-
hibitionist; has been mercantile appraiser of Tioga county, and has served as justice
of the peace four years. He is a member of the I. 0. 0. F., and is one of Farming-
ton's progressive citizens.

Charles Blanchaed, Se., a native of New England, settled in Lawrence town-
ship, Tioga county, about 1803, a few years later removing to Lancaster county,
and thence to Hairisburg, where he died. He was widely known as a contractor
on public works, and in the construction of public roads, canals, etc., during the
early years of the century. His wife was a Miss Bigelow, and they were the parents
of the following children: Ebenezer, Duodatus, Sylvanus, Charles, Hopestill, Han-
nah, who manied Samuel Snow; Abigail, who married Hosea Ballon; Esther,
Aurilla, Ira and Lodema.

Chaeles Blanchaed was born in Whitehall, New York, April 11, 1795, a
son of Charles Blanchard, Sr., and came to Tioga county with his parents when
about seven years of age. Before attaining his majority he assisted in clearing and
improving the farm in Lawrence township upon which his father settled, and there
lived the remaining years of his life, dying July 11, 1878. He married Lovina Ham-
mond, a daughter of Josiah Hammond, of Elkland, who became the mother of nine
children, viz: Oliver H., Hopestill, Eebecca A., wife of Chester B. Hoyt; Cal-
phurnia, wife of William Phelps; Jane E., wife" of J. L. Hurlbut; Charles, Emily,
wife of M. Eandolph; Myra and Lewis. Mr. Blanchard was one of the organizers
of the Presbyterian church of Nelson, of which he was a deacon many years. In



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. §27



politics, he supported the Eepublican party. He was a man of strict temperance
habits, and a member of the first temperance society organized in Tioga county.

Olivee H. BiANCHAED, eldest child of Charles and Lo-vina Blanehard, was bom
in Lawrence township, Tioga county, March 4, 1833, and was reared to manhood
on the old homestead. In 1850 he settled in Farmington township, and cut the
first stick of timber on the farm he now occupies, and upon which he has lived for
nearly half a century. Mr. Blanehard has been twice married. January 13, 1853,
he married Emily J., daughter of Hopestill and Myra (Kirk) Blanehard, of Tioga
county, who bore him five children, viz:. Charles, deceased; Mary, wife of Dr. A.
H. Forsythe; "William P., Chester H. and Frank E. His second maxriage occurred
September 36, 1866, to Mary J. Mulford, a daughter of Benjamin S. and Eaehel
(Locke) Mulford, of Fannington, to which union have been bom two children,
Oliver B. and Charles E. Mr. Blanehard is a member of the Presbyterian church,
and also of the I. 0. 0. F. In politics, a Eepublican, he was the first nominee of
that party for the office of county treasurer of Tioga county, to which he was elected,
and served a fuU term of two years.

Chaeles Oudeekiek was bom in Onondaga county, New York, September
10, 1816, a son of Meholas and Catharine Ouderkirk, and came of Dutch ancestry.
In 1844 he located in Elkland, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, whence he removed
to Farmington township in 1851, locating on the farm now occupied by his sou,
Linsford. This he cleared and improved, and erected all of the buildings. His
wife, Euby, was a daughter of Linsford and Mary (Taylor) Coates, pioneers of Elk-
land, who bore him four children, viz: Linsford, Kate, wife of Frank Tubbs; Mor-
gan, and Diantha, wife of Frank L. Hood. Mr. Ouderkirk was a Eepublican, but
took no active interest in public affairs. He died March 30, 1893, and his wife,
Euby, May 36, 1895. Both are buried in Highland cemetery, at Elkland.

LiNSFOED Oudeekiek, eldest son of Charles Ouderkirk, was bom in Hector,
Potter county, Pennsylvania, July 33, 1843, and was an infant when his parents
came to Tioga county. He grew to manhood in this county, and obtained a good
education in the Osceola High School and the State Normal School, at Mansfield.
He has followed farming and teaching as his principal vocation, and has taught fall
and winter terms for the past twenty years. Since 1851 he has lived upon the old
homestead, which he now owns. In 1882 he was postal clerk on the Cowanesque
division of the Fall Brook railroad. Politically, Mr. Ouderkirk is a Eepublican, and
in religious belief, a close communion Baptist.

Ehodes W. Hall was born in Hancock, Berkshire county, Massachusetts, May
8, 1833, a son of Eeuben HaJl. On August 33, 1851, he married Jane A. Knight,
and in the spring of 1853 settled in Farmington township, Tioga county, Penn-
sylvania, and became a partner with his cousin, G. M. Hall, who still resides in
that township. He purchased 100 acres of land of Hiram Merritt, which he cleared
up. He then bought 100 acres of the Bingham estate. In 1873 he purchased from
A. J. Fisk 186 acres and cleared 160 acres in one fallow. He died April 4, 1883.
His wife, Jane A., was a daughter of Caleb Knight, of Eensselaer county. New
York. She bore him six children, who grew to maturity, viz: Alpha, who died in
1874; Lyman, Emma, wife of Charles L. Beiver; Nettie, Anna, wife of 0. L.
Ashdown, and Jennie, wife of William Butler. Mrs. Hall died in September, 1894'.



828 HISTOBY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Mr. and Mrs. Hall were members of the Methodist Episcopal chiirch, and Mr. Hall
was an adherent of the Eepubliean party.

Lyman Hall was born in Parmington township, Tioga county, Jame 23, 1859,
and is a son of Ehodes W. and a grandson of Eeuben Hall, pioneers of the same
township. He obtained a common school education, and learned the blacksmith's
trade, subsequently spending several years in Colorado. He also followed farming
on the old homestead for eight years, a part of which he now owns, but since 1892
he has conducted a blacksmith shop in Nelson. On December 4, 1883, Mr. Hall
married Katie M., a daughter of Alanson and Esther (Young) Buckbee, pioneers of
Farmington township, and has four children liying: Alta, Floyd, Beimie and
Philip. Mr. Hall is a Republican, in politics, a member of the Methodist Episcopal
church, and is connected with the I. 0. 0. E. and the K. 0. T. M.



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 111 of 163)