Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 112 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 112 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Stephen Maetin, Sr., was born in Eichmond, Cheshire county, ISTew Hamp-
shire, in 1802, a son of Wilderness Martin, the first white child born in that town.
His father was a farmer by occupation, and in religious belief, a QuaJcer. Stephen
was reared in New Hampshire, and from 1826 to 1855 was a resident of Vermont.
In the latter year he settled in Farmington township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania,
where he followed farming until 1882. He then removed to Westfield, where he
died in 1889. His wife, Esther, was a daughter of Eeuben Bemis, of Springfield,
Vermont, and bore him six children, viz: Amy, who married Zimri Allen; Ansel
H., Almon P., Louisa, wife of John Felker; Eeuben B. and Stephen. Mr. Martin
was a supporter of the Eepubliean party.

Stephen Maetin, youngest child of Stephen Martin, Sr., was bom in Barton,
Orleans county, Vermont, July 21, 1835, there grew to manhood, and received an
academical education. He came to Tioga county with his parents in 1855, and for
twenty years taught school during the winter seasons and followed farming in the
summer. He lived in Farmington township until 1882, when he removed to West-
field, which has since been his home. On March 26, 1864, Mr. Martin enlisted in
Company I, One Hundred and Eighty-seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was
in the engagements in front of Petersburg, and Weldon Eailroad. In September,

1864, his regiment was ordered to Philadelphia, where it remained until May 11,

1865, when his company was sent to McConnellsburg, Pennsylvania, on detached
duty, and was mustered out of service August 8, 1865. Mr. Martin married Ann
Smith, a daughter of Philemon and Mahala (Beach) Smith, of Chatham township,
June 10, 1857. Six children are the fruits of this marriage, viz: Armenia, de-
ceased; Lawrence S., Clarence E., Philip Sheridan, Ernest and Fred. Politically,
Mr. Martin is a Eepubliean, and is a member of the K. of H., and the G. A. E.'
societies.

Laweence S. Martin, eldest son of Stephen Martin, was bom in Farmington
township, on the farm where he now resides, November 16, 1859. With the excep-
tion of twelve yeajs, he has always lived on the old homestead. On November 1
1882, he married Jane Owlett, a daughter of Gilbert and Sarah (Temple) Owlett'
of Middlebury township. Mr. Martin is a stanch Eepublicaji, and is a member of
the I. 0. 0. F.

Lewis Beiver was bom in Berks county, Pennsylvania, May 10, 1827, and served
aa apprenticeship to the tanner's trade at Jonestown, Pennsylvania. About 1849



biogeaphioal sketches. 829



lie came to Nelson, Tioga county, where he was employed in the Blaekwell tannery
up to 1863. He then purchased a farm in Farmington township, now owned and
occupied by his son, Charles L., which he partially cleared and improved, and
there died in February, 1885. His wife, Eliza, was a daughter of Charles and Mary
A. (Chandler) Lugg, of Farmington, and was the mother of three children, two of
whom grew to maturity, viz: Mary D., wife of E. W. Close, and Charles L. Mr.
Beiver served in the army during the Eebellion, as a member of Company H, Two
Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Vohmteers. Politically, he was a Eepublican,
was connected with the I. 0. 0. F. and K. of H. societies, and was a member of the
Presbyterian church.

Charles L. Beivee, son of Lewis Beiver, was born in Nelson, Tioga county,
March 5, 1859, and grew to manhood in Farmington township. He obtained a good
education in the common schools and State Normal School, Mansfield. In 1881-83
he was book-keeper for a mining company at Hillsboro, New Mexico, and the balance
of his life has been spent on the old homestead, where he has prosecuted farming
quite successfully. Mr. Beiver was married October 31, 1883, to Emma Hall, a
daughter of Ehodes W. and Jane A. (Knight) Hall, of Farmington, and has two
sons, Claude H. and Clyde A. In politics, he is a Eepublican, has held the office of
school director in his township, and has been secretary of the school board for nine
years. He is one of the most intelligent and progressive citizens of his township.

NELSOJT BOEOUGH.

Joseph Campbell, Se., a native of Scotland, came from the north of Ireland
to Pennsylvania, in 1810, locating in what is now Nelson borough, Tioga county,
on the farm now owned by his grandson, Joseph D. Campbell, where he resided
until his death. His wife was Mary Harper, and their children were as follows:
John, Sally, who married Samuel Hazlett; Jane, who married John Hazlett; Wil-
liam, who died young; Joseph, Elizabeth, who married Eichard Ellison; James, and
Mary, who married a Mr. Gibson. Mr. Campbell was a very strict Presbyterian,
and it is said that in maple-sugar season he woiild turn over his sap-buckets on
Saturday night, and would not permit any work to be performed on the Sabbath
day, even forbidding the cooking of food for family use. In politics, he was a
Democrat.

Joseph Campbell, Je., son of Joseph Campbell, Sr., was born in Scotland in
1793, and came with his parents to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1810. He soon
after took up 350 acres of land in Nelson township, upon which he resided until
his death, in 1864. In 1833 he manied Anne Clinch, a daughter of Thomas Clinch.
She was born in England, and became the mother of twelve children, eleven of whom
grew to maturity, viz: William, Sally, who married Benjamin D. Congdon; Mary
A., who married Allen Seely; Eleanor, who married M. D. Bosard; Elizabeth, who
married Daniel H. Hughey; Phoebe, who married William Hoyt; Jane, who became
the wife of George Ttibbs; John H., Joseph D., Maria, wife of James Loop, and
Julia, wife of Edward Selph. Mr. Campbell was a member of the Presbyterian
church at Nelson, which he assisted in organizing, and was a deacon and elder in
that body. Politically, he was a Eepublican.

John H. Campbell, son of Joseph Campbell, Jr., was born in Nelson town-



330 HISTOET OF TIOGA COTJNTT.

ship, Tioga county, January 12, 1836. He was educated in the common schools
of his district, in the Wellsboro High School, and at Union Academy, and com-
menced his business life as a farmer in Farmington township. In August, 1864,
he enlisted in Company H, Two Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, and
was in the battles of Fort Steadman, Dutch Gap and Petersbiirg. In June, 1865,
he was honorably discharged at Alexandria, Virginia. On his return home he
engaged as a traveling salesman for a firm in Corning, New York, but since 1867
he has followed the general insuranc-e business at Nelson. On February 10, 1858,
Mr. Campbell married Calfurnia L. Bottum, a daughter of Nathan and Betsey
(Lockwood) Bottum, of Tyrone, New York, and has two children, Adelbert E., and
Luella B., wife of Philip E. Young. Mr. Campbell and wife are members of the
Presbyterian church of Nelson, and he is connected with the I. 0. 0. F. In politics,
he is a Kepublican, and has held various local offices.

Adelbeet E. Campbell was born in Farmington township, Tioga county, De-
cember 19, 1859, and is the only son of John H. Campbell. He received a common
school education, and engaged in the general insurance business with his father at
Nelson, with whom he was in partnership five years. In 1886 he embarked in
business for himself at Nelson, but removed to Elkland in the spring of 1891, where
he conducted a successful insurance business until January 1, 1896, when he sold
out and removed to Elmira, New York, where he is now engaged in the fire insurance
business. On April 6, 1882, he married Carrie Sebring, a daughter of Siras and
Almira (Fenno) Sebring, of Tyrone, New York, and has two children, J. Harvey
and William S. In politics, Mr. Campbell is a Eepubliean, and is recognized as an
enterprising and progressive young business man.

Joseph D. Campbell was bom in Nelson, Tioga county, December 29, 1839,
and is the youngest son of Joseph Campbell, Jr. He was educated in the public
schools and Union Academy, and remained working on the old homestead farm until
1866. For the succeeding five years he was in the mercantile business at Nelson.
From 1871 to 1876, he was in partnership with his brother, John H., in the general
insurance business, but since the latter year he has been a member of the firm of
J. Bottom & Company, of Nelson, wholesale and retail dealers in coal, grain, pressed
hay, etc. From 1879 to 1881, this firm had a large commission house in New York
City, and from 1880 to 1883 were the proprietors of a wholesale grain and feed store
at Elkland, Tioga county. They were afterwards proprietors of a general flour and
feed store at Harrison Valley, Potter county, where, in 1883, they erected a building
suitable for carrying on that business. This firm took an active part in securing-
the right of way for, and in building the Cowanesque branch of the Fall Brook
railroad, of which Mr. Campbell has been station agent at Nelson since 1879. He
was married December 2, 1862, to Dolly Bottom, a daughter of Charles and Phoeb&
(Pierce) Bottom, to which union have been born three children, viz: Grace, wife of
G. W. Buck, of Elmira; Myra and Phoebe, the last two of whom are dead. Politically,
Mr. Campbell is a Eepubliean, and in religious faith, an adherent of the Presbyterian,
church. He is a charter member of Nelson Lodge, I. 0. 0. F., has held most of the
offices in Nelson borough, including justice of the peace for ten years, and ha&
served two terms as burgess. He is a gentleman of commendable enterprise and



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. §31



public spirit, and has done his full share towards promoting the best interests of
the Cowanesque valley.

Walter Bottom, formerly spelled "Bottum," was a native of Connecticut, and
settled in Nelson, Tioga county, Pennsybania, in. 1837. He built a mill and was
engaged in lumbering for many years, dying there at the age of seventy-five. His
wife was Dolly Clark, and their children were as follows: Eliza, who married Gilbert
Phelps; Walter, Dolly, who married Leander Culver; Charles, Sally, who married
William Clark; Nathan, and Sophronia, who became the wife of Jacob Brooks.

Charles Bottom, son of Walter Bottom, was a native of Connecticut, and came
with his parents to Nelson township, Tioga county, in 1837. On attaining his
majority he settled in Farmington township, where he cleared and improved one
of the largest farms in the township, upon which he lived upwards of thirty-fiv.e
years, and then removed to Nelson, which has since been his home. His wife,
Phoebe, is a daughter of Cromwell Pierce, of Farmington township. They are the
parents of five children, three of whom grew to maturity, as follows: Dolly, wife
of Joseph D. Campbell; Jerome, and Eebeeea, widow of Eobert Lugg. Mr. Bottom
has been a life-long member of the Presbyterian church, and has been a Republican
since the organization of that party.

Jerome Bottom was bom in Farmington township, Tioga county, January 31,
1843, and is the only son of Charles Bottom. He was reared on the old homestead,
and attended the pubHc schools of his district in boyhood, also assisting his parents
in the duties of the farm. In 1861 he commenced buying and shipping stock, in
which he continued for some years. Since 1876 he has been the senior member of
the firm of J. Bottom & Company, wholesale and retail dealers in coal, grain,
pressed hay, etc. Mr. Bottom has been in business at Nelson since 1870, and a resi-
dent of the town since 1879. He was prominent and active in securing the right of
way for, and in the construction of the Fall Brook railroad, and in 1875 shipped the
first car load of pressed hay over that road to New York City. Januajy 8, 1861, he
married Mary Eedfield, a daughter of Joseph B. and Ann (Lee) Eedfield, of Farm-
ington township. Mr. Bottom is a stanch Eepublican, and is recognized as one of
the public-spirited and substantial business men of the Cowanesque valley.

Samuel Eathbun, a native of Massachusetts, was an early settler o| Nelson town-
ship, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, locating on the farm now occupied by Mrs.
Mariam Eathbun, widow of his oldest son, Henry. He cleared and improved this
property, and continued to reside there until his death, in 1845, and was buried on
the homestead, where all of the deceased members of the Eathbun family have been
interred. His wife, Jane Vroman, who died March 18, 1876, was a native of the
Mohawk valley, and bore him eleven children, named as follows: Henry, Mary,
who married Henry Dinninny; Eliza, second wife of William Heysham; John'
Susan, who married Philip Perkins; Betsey, first wife of William Heysham; Orsemus.
who died December 7, 1896; Samuel, Thomas, Job and G. M. Dallas. Mr. Eathbun
was one of the leading citizens of his day in the Cowanesque valley, and in addition
to farming, he was associated with Joel Parkhurst, of Elkland, in the lumber busi-
ness for some years. He assisted in clearing the land in Wellsboro whereon the
present court house stands. In politics, he was a Democrat.

Henry Eathbun was bom in Lawrenceville, Tioga county, March 6, 1816, and



g32 HISTOKT OF TIOGA COUNTT.



was a son of Samuel Rathbun, who soon afterwards located in Nelson township,
where Henry spent nearly all his life, engaged in farming. He married Mariam
Owen, a daughter of Ambrose and Betsey (Wright) Owen, of Addison, New York,
January 16, 1844, to which union were bom nine children, who grew to maturity,
named as follows: Eosetta, wife of Emory Bland; Elizabeth J., wife of Theodore
Smith; Diantha, wife of John E. Mack; Lydia, wife of Frank Congdon; Julia,
wife of "William Cady; Cora, wife of i'rank Kice; Tressa, deceased wife of William
Eice; Carrie, wife of Herbert Dunning, and George Dell. Mr. Eathbun died August
19, 1871. He was an ardent Democrat, and served one term as treasurer of Tioga
county. He was a member of the I. 0. 0. F., and one of the most respected citizens
of the community in which he lived.

Job Eathbitn was born in Nelson township, Tioga county, March 18, 1841,
and is a son of Samuel Eathbun. He grew to manhood upon the old homestead,
and attended the common schools and Union Academy during his boyhood days.
For many years he was engaged in farming in Nelson township, and spent nine years
in the west, where he followed lumbering in Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and
Iowa. He has been a resident of Elkland since 1889, where for three years he con-
ducted a milk route, but since 1893 he has been in the lumber business. He still
owns a farm in Nelson township. Mr. Eathbun was married March 7, 1869, to Susie
Tubbs, a daughter of Benjamin and Susan (Bowman) Tubbs, of Westfleld, and has
one son, Benjamin S. Mr. Eathbun is a member of the E. A. U., and in politics,
an ardent Democrat.

Geoege Henet Baxtee was bom in Tuscarora, Steuben county. New York,
November 9, 1824, and is a son of Ira and Betsey (Manley) Baxter, and grandson of
Eev. Aaron Baxter. The latter was bom in Connecticut, in 1766, a son of Aaron
Baxter, both of whom served in the War of the Eevolution. Ira and his father
removed from Connecticut to Schoharie county. New York, and subsequently to
Chenango county, early in the present century. Ira afterwards settled in Steuben
county, where for a number of years before his death, which occurred in 1838, he
was a justice of the peace. George Henry Baxter was reared in his native town,
and there received a common school education. In 1849 he located in Nelson,
Tioga countyj Pennsylvania, where he engaged in merchandising, which he fol-
lowed the greater part of his time up to 1880. Mr. Baxter was twice married. In
1845 he married Clarissa Campbell, of Nelson. His second marriage occurred in
1850, to Clara Manley, a daughter of Thomas and Betsey (Wright) Manley, of
Canton, Bradford county, Pennsylvania. Her grandfather, Charles Wright, was
a Eevolutionary soldier, and her father a soldier in the War of 1812. She bore
him five children, viz: Nora, Telia F., Eva, wife of J. E. Hazlett; Susan, wife of
M. F. Cass, and Calvin S. Politically, he was a Eepublican, was postmaster at
Nelson from 1860 to 1880, associate judge of Tioga county from 1880 to 1885, and
from 1889 to 1892 he filled the office of jury commissioner. Mr. Baxter was a
member of the Presbyterian church, and belonged to the I. 0. 0. F. After giving
up merchandising he engaged in farming, which he followed the latter years of his
life.

Calvin S. Baxtee, physician and surgeon, is a son of Judge George Henry
and Clara (Manley) Baxter, and was bom in Tuscarora, New York, October 8, 1860.



BIOGEAPHIOAL SKETCHES. 833



He was reared in Nelson, Tioga county, and was educated in the public schools and
at the literary institute of Franklin, New York. In 1878 he commenced his medical
studies with Dr. A. M. Loop, of Nelson, and graduated at the College of Physicians
and Surgeons, Baltimore, Maryland, in 1883. For five years he practiced his pro-
fession in Carbon county, Pennsylvania, locating in Nelson in 1887, where he has
since devoted his attention to its active duties and is recognized as an able physician.
Dr. Baxter has been twice married. His first wife was Hattie Elderkin, a daughter
of David and Hattie (Eobinson) Elderkin, of Franklin, New York, who bore him two
children, Clara and Florence. His second wife was Mary A. Eenton, a daughter
of James and Mary (Whitney) Eenton, of Elmira, New York. The Doctor is a
member of the Pennsylvania State Medical Society, also of the F. & A. M. and
the I. 0. 0. F., and in politics, he is a Eepublican. Dr. Baxter lives on a part of
the land settled and improved by his great grandfather, Eev. Aaron Baxter, whose
wife, Abigail Webster, was a direct descendant of Gov. John Webster.

Jerome L. Bosaed was born in Osceola, Tioga county. May 39, 1849, and is
the third son of Andrew Keller Bosard, and grandson of Andrew Bosard. He was
reared upon the homestead farm and obtained his education in the Osceola High
School. He learned the carpenter's trade with his father, which he has followed more
or less since attaining his majority. With the exception of three years, from 1883
to 1885, that he spent in Dakota, he has been a resident of Nelson since 1871. Mr.
Bosard was married May 9, 1871, to Alice M. Smith, a daughter of Henry and
Phoebe M. (Cook) Smith, of Nelson, and has three children: Myra L., Andrew K.
and Edith M. In politics, Mr. Bosard is a Eepublican, and in religion, a Pres-
byterian. He is a member of the I. 0. 0. F. and the K. 0. T. M. societies.

Chakles M. Pheston- was born in Steuben county, New York, March 8, 1853.
His father, Aaron 0. Preston, a native of Massachusetts, married Ann Olcott, and
in 1857 located in Elkland, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he carried on a
hotel for several years. He was the father of three children, viz: Charles M.,
William 0. and Emma L. He died in Elkland in 1884, aged sixty-five years.
. Charles M. was about four years old when his parents came to Tioga county, where
he grew to manhood. In the spring of 1880 he went to Dakota, where he spent
nine years, and then returned to Tioga county. He has since devoted his atten-
tion to farming, and is one of the substantial farmers of Nelson township. Mr.
Preston was married December 33, 1887, to Ellen Tubbs, a daughter of Philip and
Betsey (Spencer) Tubbs, of Nelson, and has two children, Otis and Ernest Politi-
cally, he is a Eepubhcan, and is at present serving as one of the school directors of
Nelson.

William B. Stetens, physician and surgeon, was born at Campbell, Steuben
county. New York, January 1, 1865, a son of Ealph and Margaret (Gilmore)
Stevens, and is of English and Scotch extraction. He was reared in his native
county, and there obtained a public school education. He entered a drug store at
Campbell, New York, and served an apprenticeship of four years at that business.
In 1884 he established a drug store at Elkland, Tioga county, which he carried on
two years, and the following two years conducted a similar business at Harrison
Valley, Potter county. In 1885 he began the study of medicine with Dr. M. E.
Pritchard, of Harrison Valley, and in 1888 entered Jefferson Medical College, Phila-

53



834 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

delphia, where he graduated in April, 1891. He immediately located at Nelson,
Tioga county, where he has since been actively engaged in the practice of his pro-
fession, and has built up a successful btisiness. Dr. Stevens was married September
28, 1887, to Anna M. Gray, a daughter of Eobert T. and Fannie (Brown) Gray, of
Corning, New York, and has two daughters, Fannie L. and Margaret. He is an
ardent Eepublican, and an earnest advocate of the principles and measures of that
party. In religion, he is a Presbyterian, and is a member of the F. & A. M., the
I. 0. 0. F., and the K. 0. T. M. societies.

Eev. Hallock Aemsteong, pastor of the Presbyterian church at Nelson, was
born in Minisink, Orange county. New York, October 31, 1823. His parents,
James T. and Euth (Hallock) Armstrong, were natives of Orange county, his
father's ancestors being Scotch-Irish, and those of his mother early settlers of
Connecticut. During the Eevolutionary War his paternal grandfather was con-
fined for several months on a British prison ship in New York harbor. His father,
a farmer by occupation, removed to Sussex county. New Jersey, in 1830, and thence
to Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania, in 1838. In his old age he located in Bing-
hamton. New York, where he died in March, 1884. His mother died in February,
1878, aged seventy-eight years. The subject of this sketch was the second in a
family of five children, viz: Frances Maria, deceased wife of Simeon Hanchett;
Hallock, of Nelson; Mary Elizabeth, who died in childhood; James Horace, a con-
tractor and builder, of Binghamton; Albert D., an attorney at law, who died in
Sioux City, Iowa, in 1886. Mr. Armstrong was educated in the public schools
and at Lafayette College, graduating from the latter institution in 1848. He then
took a course in Princeton Theological Seminary, where he graduated in 1851, and
then entered the ministry. He began preaching at Wilkes-Barre, where he preached
and taught three years, and then went to Bethany, Genesee county. New York, and
taught in the Presbyterian Academy two years, preaching at Portage. He next
preached and taught six years at Laporte and Dushore, Sullivan county, Pennsyl-
vania, and served as county superintendent of schools in that county from 1858 to
1861. His next charge was at Monroetown, Bradford county, where he remained
nineteen years, seventeen of which he spent in teaching, fourteen being passed in
the same school room. In 1864 he was drafted into the army and mustered in as
chaplain of the Fiftieth Pennsylvania Volunteers, in which capacity he served
nearly a year. In 1881 he went to Aspinwall, Bradford county, where he had charge
of a congregation for ten years. In July, 1891, he became pastor of the church at
Nelson, which position he has since filled acceptably. Mr. Armstrong was married
on September 2, 1851, to Mary Bronson, of Harford, New York, a daughter of Eev.
Edwin and Mary H. Bronson. Her father died in November, 1893, aged ninety-
three; her mother resides with our subject, at the ripe age of eighty-eight. The
following children were born to this union: Mary Frances, wife of Charles Myer,
of Athens, Bradford county; Charies E., of Troy, Bradford county; A. A., a phy-
sician, of Fair Haven, New Jersey; Euth Hallock; William C, a physician, of
Eedbank, New Jersey, and James Edwin, a resident of Brooklyn, New York. Mr.
Armstrong is a Eepublican, in politics, and is connected with the I. 0. 0. P., K. of p'
and G. A. E. societies. Since entering the ministry in 1851, he has lost but two



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. §35



Sundays by reason of illness, and during the last thirty-four years has moved but
twice. He is able and scholarly, and, notwithstanding his advanced years, an
eloquent preacher.

ELKLAND B0E0TJ6H.

LiNTSFOED CoATBS, a native of Otsego county, New York, a son of Timothy
and Content (Stuart) Coates, was of English and Scotch extraction. He settled
at an early day in Elkland, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, cleared and improved a
farm, and was quite extensively engaged in lumbering. He resided there until his
death. He married Mary A. Taylor, of Tioga county, and they were the parents
of the following children: Betsey, who married Perry Daily; Timothy, David,
Mahala, who married Daniel Parks; Harriet, Euby, who married Charles Ouder-
kirk; John, Diana, who married John Daily, and Morgan.

Timothy Coates, second child and eldest son of Lintsford Coates, was bom
in Elkland, Tioga county, July 30, 1812. He there grew to manhood and cleared



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 112 of 163)