Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 113 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 113 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


a farm within the present limits of Elkland borough. The homestead is now occu-
pied by his widow and children. Mr. Coates was in the mercantile trade at Elkland
for many years, and was also extensively engaged in lumbering. He married Almira
B. Johnson, a daughter of Moses and Betsey (Cole) Johnson, of Wellsboro, Novem-
ber 11, 1850. Six children were the issue of this union, viz: Mary E., Timothy I.,
Lintsford M., Franklin N., Edwin W. and Eva L. Mr. Coates was an advocate of
temperance in all things, and was a very worthy citizen. He died August 9, 1891,
in the eightieth year of his age. In politics, he was a Democrat, and filled the
ofQees of councilman and burgess of Elkland.

LiNTSEOED M. Coates, son of Timothy Coates, was bom in Elkland, Tioga
county, February 5, 1856, and attended the public schools of that town in boyhood.
In 1879 he embaxked in the livery business, which he continued up to 1886. In
that year he formed a partnership with his brother, Edwin "W., under the firm name
of E. & L. Coates, and engaged in the general hardware, agricultural implement and
harness business, which they have since successfully carried on, doing the leading
business in this line in Elkland. Mr. Coates was married in June, 1888, to Ann
Taylor, a daughter of Philip S. Taylor, of Osceola, and has one son, Eoy T. In
politics, he is a Democrat.

Edwin- W. Coates, of the firm of E. & L. Coates, was born in Elkland, Tioga
county, June 33, 1863, and is a son of Timothy Coates. He received a good com-
mon school education, and at the age of seventeen taught one term in Nelson town-
ship. In 1886 he became a member of the firm of E. & L. Coates, of Elkland, general
hardware and implement dealers, with which he has since been connected. From
1885 to 1887, he was collector of taxes for Elkland borough. In politics, he is an
adherent of the Democratic party.

Joel Paekhttest was bom at Marlborough, New Hampshire, April 8, 1800,
and received a good English education. When seventeen years of age he came to
Pennsylvania and located at Loyalsock, I^ycoming county, where he taught a term
of school during the winter season. The next winter he taught at Long Reach,
near Williamspoi't, and then removed to the vicinity of Painted Post, New York.
During the winter of 1832 he taught at Mansfield and studied medicine during his
spare hours, his father and several brothers being physicians. Not liking the pro-



836 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

fession, he gave up his studies and entered the government employ as a sun^eyor.
While on Lake Erie, en route to Michigan to fulfill this engagement, the steamboat
carrying him and othere was overtaken by a storm and compelled to put into Cleve-
land for repairs. This delay caused him to change his plans, and he walked to
Hteubenville, Ohio, carrying his baggage on his shoulder. Here he purchased a
horse and saddle, intending to return to his home in Eiehmond, New Hampshire,
which he did, after a short stay in Pittsburg. He clerked two years for a merchant
in Eiehmond, accepting goods to the value of $300 for his services. After buying a
horse and wagon on credit, he loaded his goods and made his way to Mansfield,
Pennsylvania, where his brother, Dr. Dexter Parkhurst, was engaged in the practice
of medicine. This was in 1835. After remaining here a short time he went to
Lawrenceville and there formed a mercantile partnership with his brother, Dr.
Curtis Paxkhurst. In 1838 this partnership was dissolved and he went to Elk-
land and entered into partnership with John Eyon and Eobert Tubbs, whose
interests he soon aiterwards bought out, and continued the business alone. He was
the second postmaster of the village and held the ofi^ce several years. Mr. Park-
hurst became the leading merchant of the Cowanesque valley, his business tact and
ability enabling him to safely weather the panic and convulsions of 1837. Through
the passing years he accumulated a large fortime and became one of the wealthy men
of the northern tier. In 1867, in connection with John Parkhurst, he established
the banking house of J. & J. Parkhurst, in Elkland, with which he was connected
for several years. The Pattison National Bank of Elkland is the lineal successor
of that institution. Mr. Parkhurst was also intimately identified with the principal
manufacturing enterprises of Elkland during his business career, and did much to
forward the growth and prosperity of the borough. Mr. Parkhurst was twice mar-
ried. On November 16, 1835, he married Emeline E. Allen, at Cortland, New
York. She was bom in Bridgewater, New York, December 13, 1815, and bore him
a family of eight children, as follows: Edward J., John C, Sarah M., Anna S.,
Mary, Prank, Curtis S. and Charles, all of whom died in childhood except Anna
S., who became the wife of Charles L. Pattison. Mrs. Parkhurst died in Elkland
October 29, 1854. On May 14, 1855, Mr. Parkhurst was again married at Lindley,
New York, to Martha H. Steele, to which union were born two children, viz: Susan
A., deceased wife of Eev. John B. Grier, and Benjamin H., of Elkland. Mr. Park-
hurst died at his home in Elkland, December 6, 1884; his wife survived until Feb-
ruary 17, 1889. In religion, he was a Presbyterian, and in politics, an active and
influential supporter of the EepubHcan party. He is one of the best remembered
citizens of the Cowanesque valley, where he lived for more than half a centurv.

Chaeles L. Pattison was bom in Chestertown, AVarren county. New York,
February 16, 1841, a son of Thurman and Susan W. (Bishop) Pattison. In 1847 he
removed with his parents to Lawrenceville, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where his
father was extensively engaged in the lumber business up to 1867. In that year
Thurman Pattison removed to Lock Haven, Clinton county, where he continued the
same business until 1872. He then retired from active life, and since 1882 he has
been a resident of Wellsboro. To Thurman and Susan W. Pattison were bom four
children, viz: Orville, Charies L., Mary A. and John. The subject of this sketch
was but SIX years of age when his parents came to Tioga county. He was reared in



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 837



Lawrenceville and there received an academical education. During his school days
he occasionally assisted his father in rafting and lumbering. In August, 1860,
he began clerking in the store of the Fall Brook Coal Company, at Pall Brook, in
whose employ he remained ten years, two years of which time he was paymaster and
four years cashier. On October 21, 1868, Mr. Pattison married Anna S. Parkhurst,
a daughter of Joel and Emeline (Allen) Parkhurst, of Elkland, and in October,
1869, he came to Elkland and obtained a half interest in the banking house of J. &
J. Parkhurst, the name of which was then changed to J. Parkhurst & Company. It
continued until August 1, 1889, when the title was changed to C. L. Pattison & Com-
pany, and from June 20, 1890, up to his death, Mr. and Mrs. Pattison were sole pro-
prietors. The bank was well and favorably known throughout the Cowaaesque valley
and transacted a large business. It was succeeded by the Pattison National Bank,
June 2, 1896, so named in honor of the dead financier. Mr. Pattison was secretary
and treasurer of the Cowanesque Valley Eailroad Company, since absorbed by the
Fall Brook Company, and the chief promoter of the enterprise. He also organized
and was president of the Addison and Pennsylvania Eailroad Company, which com-
pleted the section from Addison to "Westfield in ninety days and ran a train of cars
between those points within that period. lie was president of the Pennsylvania
division of the road during the last twelve years of his life. Another of his enter-
prises was the Elkland Furniture Factory, which he established in 1883 and kept in
operation until its destruction by fire ten years later. Mr. Pattison studied law and
was admitted to the bar of Tioga county, September 7, 1888, biit gave no attention
to his profession aside from using his legal knowledge to avoid litigation and suc-
cessfully guide and manage his many large and diversified interests. He was also
a member of the bar association and one of its most liberal friends. He affiliated
with the Democratic party up to 1890, since which year he was a Eepublican, though
he took no active part in political affairs. He, however, served as burgess of Elk-
land from 1894 until his death, April 10, 1896.

The death of Mr. Pattison was a severe blow to the business interests of the
Cowanesque valley, of which he was one of the foremost citizens. This sad event
occurred at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia, where
he had gone with the hope of obtaining relief through a surgical operation for
disease of the stomach, but died soon after the operation was performed. The bar,
of which he was a member, passed appropriate resolutions on his demise, and several
of his legal friends, including the court, spoke warm words of praise on his many
excellent qualities as a business man, citizen and friend. Mr. Pattison was a kind-
hearted, generous and upright man, courteous in his social relations, and thorough
and practical in his business methods. The accuracy and rapidity with which he
transacted business, his wonderful capacity for work, his quiet reserve and dignity,
and his absolute truthfulness were among the strongest traits of his character. In
his death the church and the school lost a liberal supporter and the poor a benevolent
friend, to whom suffering humanity never appealed in vain.

Dr. Edward L. Wilson, of Few York, an old personal friend, pays the following
tribute to the memory of Mr. Pattison in the June number (1896) of "Wilson's Pho-
tographic Magazine:



838 HiSTOEY or tioga cotjntt.

Mr. Pattison was the head of the banking- firm of C. L. Pattison & Company, at Elk-
land, and was connected with many business enterprises in Tioga and Potter counties.
He was an enthusiastic friend and patron of photography. Besides owning a fine
camera and assisting others in the practice of our art, he was able, owing to his peculiar
opportunities, to do more than usually falls to the lot of the busy man, to create food,
so to speak, for the camera. His home was situated at Elkland, in the beautiful Cowan-
esque valley, a. few rods from the picturesque river of the same Indian name, where
lovely views of hill and valley appear on every side. Mr. Pattison, we say, did more than
any one to bring about these sublime combinations of natural scenery. He came into
this valley nearly fifty years ago from Chester, New York, with his father (one of the
most prominent early settlers). Then the hills were covered with dense forests, and
there were no thoroughfares along the Cowanesque. Since then the mines of coal have
been developed; the woodsmen, the lumbermen, and the raftsmen have been and are
gone; the forests have fallen; well-kept highways now zigzag along each side of the
stream and wind over every hill. The rolling stock of two railways may be seen from
any incline, ascending, descending, plunging through a valley lined by magnificent
farms, the scene varied by many prosperous towns on the way. With the development
of all this Charles L. Pattison had to do. His happy school-days were broken into occa-
sionally by rafting experiences, many of which were related by him as we strolled to-
gether with the camera among the pictures which his industry and enterprise had helped
to makei After serving a time as cashier of a great coal company, he in turn became
operative farmer; manager of real estate; banker; a party to all sorts of enterprises;
a member of the bar; a railroad president and a manufacturer. He never forgot the
importance of keeping a photographic record of the many changes which contributed
to making the valley of the Cowanesque prosperous and picturesque. He was a noble,
warm-hearted, generous man. Prospered unusually, he took the unusual view that wealth
was a blessing which should be used to assist others; and so it was his policy to keep
his means employed in the development of the community in which he resided. Thus
he brought much personal labor upon himself that he need not have undertaken; thus
he became the great blessing he was to the people among whom he lived. So, it came
about that those who best knew him, most loved him. His w^ord was truth. No one
ever thought of doubting what he said. He was manly and brave. One of his mottos
(a legacy for all of us) was, "I never dread anything that I feel I ought to do.'' His
passing away seems untimely; but as to that we may not judge. A great shadow hangs
over all the pictures now; yet we may continue to gather sunshine and inspiration from
his busy life.

Oetillb Pattison, president of the Pattison liational Bank, of Elkland,
Tioga county, was bom in Chestertown, Warren county, New York, May 13, 1838,
eldest son of Thurman and Susan W. Pattison. In the summer of 1847 he came
with his paxents to Lawrenceville, Tioga county, where he graduated from the public
schools at the age of nineteen, and later took a course in the Bryant and Stratton
Business College, Buffalo, N"ew York. Eetuming home he clerked in a general
store at Lawrenceville, and also had charge of the books, which he attended to in the
evening after his day's work was done. In May, 1860, he entered the service of the
Pall Brook Coal Company, in whose employ he remained more than twenty yeajs.
After spending two years at Pall Brook, he was promoted to the position of head
book-keeper in the general office at Watkins, Kew York, where he continued until
1879, when because of failing health he was appointed agent of the company store
at Antrim, Tioga county. In the spring of 1884 he located at Elkland and formed
a partnership with his brother, Charles L., and engaged in the manufacture of
furniture. He also assisted his brother in the private banking office of J. Parkhurst
& Company. He continued in the furniture business until the factory was burned,



BIOGKAPHIOAL SKETCHES. 839



in January, 1893. In 1890 he entered the bank of C. L. Pattison & Company, of
which institution he was cashier until the death of his brother necessitated a re-
organization of the business. A^Tven the Pattison National Bank was organized, June
2, 1896, Mr. Pattison was elected president, a tribute to his financial abilitj and
cajefvil business methods. November 7, 1867, Mr. Pattison married Susie Bloore,
daughter of Joshua and Catherine Bloore. Her father died at Waterford, New
York, and her mother married Judge George C. Shearer. Her maternal grand-
father was a surgeon in the United States navy, and his son was Eear Admiral
John A. Livingstone, U. S. N. Mrs. Pattison is the mother of two sons, John
Orville and Charles Lewis, twins. Mr. Pattison's early habits of industry and long
association with careful business men have fitted him to fill the responsible position
he now holds, and to continue the successful financial record established by his
deceased brother.

Geokge Doeeance was born in Columbia, Tolland county, Connecticut, Oc-
tober 10, 1802, and was a son of George Gershom and Mary (Crocker) Dorrance, and,
grandson of Col. George Dorrajice. The ancestor of the American branch of the
Dorrance family, was Eev. Samuel Dorrance, a Presbyterian clergyman, who came
from Ireland in 1723, and had charge of the congregation at Voluntown, Con-
necticut, upwards of forty years. His son, George Dorrance, was born at Volun-
town, March 4, 1736, and became a lieutenant colonel of militia in the Connecticut
Line. He was one of the principal officers under Col. Zebulon Butler in his oper-
ations against the British and their savage allies. Colonel Dorrance took a lead-
ing part in the battle of Wyoming, fought July 3, 1778, and distinguished himself
by his great bravery. He fell severely woiinded, was taken prisoner and bratally
slain by his Indian captors the following day. As he was highest in rank of the
victims of this terrible slaughter, known in history as the Wyoming Massacre, his
name is at the head of those inscribed upon the monument erected at Wyoming in
1843, in commemoration of their courage and patriotism. In the spring of 1839,
the subject of this sketch came to Blkland, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, then almost
a wilderness, and purchased about sixty acres of land, containing a small clearing,
erected a little frame house and began farming in true pioneer fashion. He soon
afterwards commenced lumbering, and, as the country grew older, he gradually en-
larged his operations, until he became one of the most extensive lumbermen in the
Cowanesque valley. He was one of the most successful business men in the county,
occupied a prominent position in its affairs, and stamped upon the business interests
of the community the impress of his own high character. Mr. Dorrance continued
to reside upon the old homestead, and, as the years rolled on, he made additions
to his farm until he owned 320 acres of well-improved land. In place of the old
house, he erected one of more commodious dimensions, which to-day will com-
pare favorably with any farm residence in the valley. In August, 1832, he mar-
ried Susan Hammond, a daughter of David aad Polly (Tubbs) Hammond, who
were among the first settlers of Elkland. Seven children blessed this imion, viz:
Lester, Elizabeth, Benjamin, Mary, Sarah, George G. and Charles. Throughout
his life, Mr. Dorrance was a generous contributor to the support of all charities
having for their object the relief of human suffering. He was honored and respected
by all -who knew him, and his purse-strings were ever open in assisting every good



840 HISTOET OP TIOGA COtTNTY.



work. He did no man intentional -wrong, and his integrity and honesty were never
questioned in the community where he spent the greater portion of his life. Politi-
cally, he was a JefEersonian Democrat, and during the dark days of civil strife his
influence was ever on the side of the Union. He contributed freely towards the
payments of bounties of volunteers and the support of their families while they
were absent in the field. Mr. Dorranee was a practical farmer, of liberal and ad-
vanced ideas, and the farmers of the county have missed his good example in the
various improvements which have made the Cowanesque valley one of the garden-
spots of the State. He died at his home in Elkland, June 13, 1881, and his re-
mains rest in the new cemetery on the hillside, which his own hands helped to
beautify and adorn.

Hon. Benjamin Dokeance, second son of George Dorranee, was bom in Elk-
land, Tioga county. May 3, 1836. He was reared on the old homestead, and re-
ceived his primary education in the district schools. He later attended Union
Aeademj'-, Tioga county, and Alfred University, Allegany county, N"ew York, en-
tering the junior class of the latter institution at the age of eighteen, from which
he was graduated at the age of twenty, having, in the meantime, taught two or
three terms of public school. In 1856 the Eepublican party placed John C. Fremont
ia the field as its first presidential candidate, while James Buchanan was the choice
of the Democratic party. The campaign resulted in the success of the Democracy.
Although still in his minority, Mr. Dorranee took an active part in behalf of the
new party, attended mass meetings and torchlight processions, and did his full
share towards defraying the expenses. Until the day of his death, he remained
true to his early convictions, though all the other members of his family were Dem-
ocrats. After the close of his school years, he took charge of his father's extensive
lumber interests, making frequent trips down the river on rafts to the various
markets, and in the summer seasons assisting in the farm duties. In the early six-
ties he entered the copartnership with J. G. Parkhurst and David Dunbar, in the
mercantile business at Elkland, with whom he was associated until 1872, when the
firm was dissolved. He then embarked in the drug business at Elkland, which he
carried on five years. In 1877 he entered the political field as the Eepublican can-
didate for the legislature to fill out the unexpired term of Hon. Hugh Young. After
a hard and spirited contest he received the nomination, which was ratified at the
November election by a rousing majority. In the summer of 1878, he was a candi-
date for re-election, for a full term of two years. His party conceded him the nomi-
nation by acclamation, and in ISTovember following he was elected by an increased
majority, The next session of the legislature was a lengthy and exhaustive one,
and just before its close he was compelled to abandon his post on account of failing
health. His disease being of a pulmonary character, he went to Colorado, where he
spent nearly a year, seeking in vain for the restoration of his health. The winter
and spring of 1880 was spent in the south, with the same futile result, and he ar-
rived home in June, 1880. Here he spent the summer, aad in the autumn went
to Elmira, New York, for medical treatment, but science and skill were unable to
cope with his disease, and he died in his rooms at Elmira, June 26, 1881. By
strict attention to his business, and honorable dealing, he accumulated a'competency
of this worid's goods, which he judiciously disposed of by will ere he died. His



BIOGKAPHIOAL SKETCHES. ¬І41



death occurred while he was yet in the prime of manhood, with a future of great
promise; but he had lived to good purpose, and his mission was already fulfilled ac-
cording to the measure of his years.

George Geeshom Doekance, third son of George Dorrance, was bom on the
old homestead in Elkland township, Tioga county, September 21, 1849, and has
spent his entire life in his native place. He obtained a good common school edu-
cation, and has devoted his attention to farming. On February 5, 1890, he mar-
ried Carrie Bulkley, a daughter of Charles and Mariette (Perry) Bulkley, of Osceola,
and has two children: Susan Mariette and George. Mr. Dorrance is one of the
progressive and enterprising farmers of Elkland. Like his father, he has always
been a Democrat, and has filled various local offices, including that of burgess of
Elkland one term, and assessor and councilman about fifteen years each. In 1890
he was nominated by his party for the legislature, and ran far ahead of the ticket,
thus proving his popularity among the people of his native county.

AsAHEL Weight was bom in Hartford, Connecticut, in 1789, and was a son of
George and Betsey (Post) Wright. When quite young he removed to Greene
county, ISTew York, where he learned the miller's trade, and later owned and operated
a mill there. In 1844 he came to Tioga county, Peimsylvania, locating in Earm-
ington township, where he cleared and improved a farm of 100 acres, during which
period he also followed his vocation of miller in Lawrenceville and Nelson. After
getting his farm in good shape, he sold it and went to Minnesota, where he in-
vested his money in mortgages. After remaining there a number of years, he re-
turned to Tioga coimty, and resided in Kelson until his death, at the age of seventy-
five. His wife. Temperance Jones, was born at Saybrook, Connecticut, in 1789,
and was a relative of John Paul Jones of Eevolutionary fame. She became the
mother of nine children, viz: Cordelia A., who married David Stevens; Washington
E., Oscar F., Charles B., Chauncey P., William W., Almira A., wife of Alonzo Lee;
Omar H. and Judson P.

William W. Weight, physician and surgeon, was bom in Cairo, Greene coimty.
New York, March 31, 1830, and is a son of Asahel and Temperance Wright. He
came to Tioga county with his parents in 1844, and was educated in the High
Schools of Wellsboro, Tioga county, and Tompkins county, New York. In 1848
he began the study of medicine with Dr. Nelson Packer, of Wellsboro, attended
lectures at Geneva Medical College, Geneva, New York, and was graduated in the
class of 1849-50. In the latter year he commenced practice at Elkland, Tioga
county, where, with the exception of four years' residence at Nelson, he has con-
tinued in the active duties of his profession for the past forty-seven years. Dr.
Wright has been twice married. His first wife, Alice, was a daughter of David and
Polly (Tubbs) Hammond, of Elkland; while his second wife was Agnes A. Whitney,
of Ohio. He was a member of the old Tioga County Medical Society during its
existence, and has always been an ardent supporter of the Eepublican party.

John T. Wood was bom in Otsego county. New York, in 1797, and in 1836
settled in Elkland, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he cleared and improved a



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 113 of 163)