Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 114 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 114 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


farm, on which he resided until 1868. In that year he removed to what is now the
State of South Dakota, where he died June 9, 1871. He was a son of Amos and
Ruth Wood, of Otsego county, New York, and came of Quaker ancestry. His wife,



342 HISTOET OF TIOGA COTIN-TT.



Phoebe, was a daughter of John T. and Betsey (Daxtt) Benedict, formerly of
Norwich, Connecticut, who settled in Otsego county, New York, m 1816. Eight
children were bom to them, tiz: Eleazer, Edgar, Bligh, Eobert T., Euth, who mar-
ried Samuel Hitchcock, Bucklin, Levantia, wife of George W. Benedict, and Lester.
CoL. EoBKET T. Wood was bom in Laurens township, Otsego county, New
York, Febmary 2, 1830, and is a son of John T. Wood. He was educated at Mill-
viUe Academy, Orleans county, and Wilson College, Niagara county, New York. In
1850 he began the study of law with Hon. James Lowrey, of Wellsboro, Tioga
county, and was admitted to the bar in 1853, and to the Supreme Court of Penn-
sylvania in 1869. With the exception of six years spent in what is now South Dakota,
and the time he was in the army, he has continued to practice his profession at Elk-
land since his admission to the bar. In August, 1861, he raised Company L, Sec-
ond Pennsylyania Cavalry, and went to the front as captain of his company. On
October 4, 1862, he resigned his commission, by reason of disability. But not con-
tented to remain idle while the Nation's life was in danger, he re-enlisted, July 6,

1864, raised Company H, Two Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers,
and again went to the front as captain of that company. On March 35, 1865, he was
promoted to the rank of major, and was mustered out of service June 7, 1865, with
the rank of lieutenant colonel. He was wounded in front of Petersburg, April 3,

1865. For six years he was district attorney of Bon Homme county, in what is now
South Dakota. On December 10, 1851, he married Mary E. Culver, a daughter of
Leander and Dolly (Bottum) Culver, of Elkland, and has two children, Leander and
Jennie. Colonel Wood is a stanch Eepublican, was clerk in the House of Eepre-
sentatives in 1869, 1870 and 1871, and has always taken a deep interest in the suc-
cess of his party. He has been commander of J. Edgar Parkhurst Post, No. 581, G.
A. E., of Elkland, five successive terms, and is a member of the Masonic order and
the I. 0. 0. F. In religious faith he adheres to the Presbyterian church.

Lewis W. Fbnton was born in WoodhuU, Steuben county. New York, June
23, 1846, a son of Lewis and Jemima (Eowley) Fenton, and is of American and
English descent. Until eleven years of age he resided with his mother, and came
to Elkland, Tioga county, in 1858, where he worked for his board, clothes and
schooling four years. On October 27, 1861, he enlisted in Company L, Second Penn-
sylvania Cavalry, served until the fall of 1863, and then re-enlisted as a veteran in
the same company and regiment. He was promoted to corporal in the spring of
1864, and June 28, 1865, was honorably discharged, after three years and ten
months' service. He was taken prisoner by Mosby's command, near Fairfax Court
House, Virginia, in 1864, and after six days detention was paroled. He took part
in all the important engagements of his regiment, and was a good and brave soldier.
After his discharge he returned to Elkland, and was employed on a farm as a
teamster four years. In 1869 he went to Scranton, where for two years he was em-
ployed as a brakeman on the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western railroad. Since
1871 he has been a permanent resident of Elkland, and for fourteen years was en-
gaged in the livery business. Mr. Fenton was married June 4, 1878, to Sarah Case,
a daughter of William John Case, of Tompkins county. New York, and has one son,
Lewis Eaymond. Mrs. Fenton died March 13, 1896. On October 4, 1896, he mar-
ried Mrs. Lottie Eockwell, nee Earl. In politics, he is a Eepublican, and has been



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 843



a member of the borough council of Elkland three years, and constable twenty-four
years. He is a member of J. Edgar Parkhurst Post, No. 581, G. A. E.; the I. 0.
0. P., the K. 0. T. M., and the K. of H. societies.

WiNDSOE Gleason was born in Waxren, Washington county, Vermont, August
26, 1837, and is a son, of Windsor and Sophia (Clark) Gleason. He was reared in his
native county until eighteen years of age, and attended the district schools of his
neighborhood. In 1845 he located at Chester, New Hampshire, remaining there
about five years, when he removed to Massachusetts, where he was engaged in farm-
ing until 1863. In November of that year he enlisted in the Pirst Massachusetts
Heavy Artillery, and participated in all the battles of the Wilderness Campaign.
He was wounded near North Anna, Virginia, May 37, 1864, and was honorably dis-
charged from the service in June, 1865. The same year he removed to Elkland,
Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he followed agricultural pursuits until 1888, when
he was elected a justice of the peace, to which of&ee he was re-elected in 1893. On
July 4, 1850, Mr. Gleason married Mary Angelia Powers, a daughter of David
Powers, of Hardwick, Worcester coimty, Massachusetts. Mrs. Gleason was bom in
Eichmond, New Hampshire, February 16, 1839. Of the siz children born to this
union, three are living, viz: Eugene H., Fred D., and Lottie L., wife of Morgan
Ouderkirk. The mother died at her home in Elkland, March 30, 1897, dying, as she
had lived, a faithful, consistent Christian. Mr. Gleason is an elder in the Presby-
terian church of Elkland, and is a member of the G. A. E., the K. of H., and the B.
A. TJ. societies. Politically, he is a stanch Eepublican.

Eugene H. Gleason, eldest son of Windsor Gleason, was bom in Petersham,
Massachusetts, October 1, 1851, and was fourteen years old when his parents came
to Tioga county. He obtained a good common school education, and since attaining
his majority he has been engaged in lumbering, merchandising, dealing in real es-
tate, and contracting and building. On December 37, 1873, he married Mary Cady,
a daughter of Chester and Catherine (Baxter) Cady, of Farmington township, and
has one chUd, Pearl M. Mr. Gleason is a Eepublican, in politics, and a member of
the I. 0. 0. F.

Samitel Pbbey Babcock was bom in Otsego county, New York, May 9, 1805,
and came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1838, remaining one year at Lawrenee-
ville. In 1840 he settled in Farmington township, where he had purchased 135
acres of land, and there made his home until his death, in 1878. He was twice mar-
ried. His first wife, Maxamilla Tallman, became the mother of three children, viz:
Lucretia, wife of Charles Weeks; Eobert, and Hester A., wife of Luther Bradley.
His second wife was Mary Ann CannifE, a daughter of William Canniff, of Broome
county. New York. Ten children were born to this union, as follows: William,
Oliver Perry, Juliaett, wife of Floyd Wiley; Buell E., Mercy J., Mary E., wife of J.

D. Seely; Ann E., wife of Job Bronson; Eva, wife of Evlyn Shaw; Dolly, and Samuel

E. Mr. Babcock was a Democrat, in politics, and in religion, a member of the Free
Will Baptist church.

Oliver Peeby Babcock was born in Farmington township, Tioga county,
Febraary 7, 1840, and is a son of Samuel Perry and Mary Ann (Canniff) Babcock.
He was reared in his native township, there obtained a common school education, and
began his business life as a farmer on the old homestead. In September, 1863, he en-



844 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

listed in Company A, One Hundred and Seventy-first Pennsylvania Volunteera^ and
went into the war as second sergeant of his company. He participated in several
skirmishes and minor engagements, and was honorably discharged in March, 1863.
In September, 1864, he joined Company H, Two Hundred and Seventh regiment,
was promoted to first sergeant, and served in the battles of Fort Steadman and
Petersburg. He was wounded in the latter engagement; was sent to the hospital, and
was honorably discharged from the service June 5, 1865. On his return home he
purchased a farm in WoodhuU, Steuben county, Kew York, lived there three years,
and in 1869 bought his present homestead in Elkland borough, containing 150 acres,
upon which he has since resided. Mr. Babcock has been twice married. On July 5,
1863, he married Mary Davenport, a daughter of Lemuel and Polly (Boordman)
Davenport, of Elkland, who became the mother of two children, Charles L. and
Oliver Perry. His second wife was Kate Johnson, a daughter of Newton and Eliza-
beth (Tipple) Johnson, of Wellsboro. Politically, Mr. Babcock is a Eepublican. He
is a member of the Presbyterian church, and also of the 0. A. R., and I. 0. 0. P. so-
cieties.

Chaeles Levi Babcock, eldest child of Oliver Perry and Mary (Davenport)
Babcock, was born in Elkland, Tioga county, April 21, 1864, and there grew to
manhood. He was educated in the public schools and State Normal School, Mans-
field, and graduated at Lowell's Business College, Binghamton, New York, in 1882.
He then began clerking in the general store of R. K. Skinner, of Elkland, where he
was employed five years. In 1887 he engaged in the general mercantile business
at Nelson, which he successfully conducted until the fall of 1896, when he was
elected by the Eepublican voters to the office of register and recorder, which position
he now occupies. Mr. Babcock was married October 21, 1885, to Mae Bell Skinner,
a daughter of Richard K. and Ellen (Baker) Skinner, of Elkland. Three children
have been bom to them, viz: Portia, who died at the age of thirteen months: Gene-
vieve, and Richard 0. During his residence in Nelson, Mr. Babcock was the leading
merchant and was well known as a gentleman of enterprise and public spirit. A
stanch Republican, he has served the party in various official capacities. He is a
member of the Presbyterian church, also of the P. & A. M., the I. 0. 0. P. and the
K. 0. T. M. societies.

Joseph Coenelius was born in Hampshire, England, May 4, 1815, and was a
son of George and Mary Cornelius. He learned the tanner's trade in his native land,
and immigrated to the United States in 1854, settling in Graysville, Herkimer
county, New York, where he was superintendent of a tannery for ten years. In
1864 he removed to Aldenville, Wayne county, Pennsylvania, where he was superin-
tendent of a tannery until 1873. In the fall of that year he located at Elkland, Tioga
county, purchasing the Elkland tannery, which he enlarged from time to time to
accommodate his increasing business, and conducted it with gratifying success until
the autumn of 1893, when he retired from active business life, and died in Elkland
November 15, 1895. On August 6, 1853, he married Eliza J. Taylor, a daughter
of John and Jane Taylor, of Hampshire, England, who survived him one month
dying December 12, 1895. Eleven children were born to this union, as follows'
Ahce E., wife of John H. Brock; Florence, wife of William Brock; Mary J Fannie
E., wife of Eugene G. Webb; Frank M., William T., George S., Byron G ' Charles



BI06EAPHICAL SKETCHES. 845



H., Carrie B., wife of Fred T. Smith, and Thome. Mr. Cornelius was a member
of the Elkland Methodist Episcopal ch-urch, and the most liberal contributor towards
the erection of the present church building. In politics, a Eepublican, he was one
of the leading citizens of his adopted home and a prominent factor in the gi-owth
and development of Elkland.

Feank M. Coenelius was born in Graysville, Herkimer county, New York,
December 10, 1860, and is a son of Joseph and Eliza J. (Taylor) Cornelius, natives
of England. He was reared in Wayne and Tioga counties, Pennsylvania, received
a good education, and later began clerking in his father's tannery office in Elkland.
In 1881-83 he was employed as book-keeper and assistant casMer in the banking
house of Joel Parkhurst & Company, of Elkland. In the fall of 1883 he took the
management of his father's tannery, and acted in that capacity until 1891, when he
engaged in the wholesale lumber business, which he continued until May, 1893.
He then became connected with the tannery interests of Proctor, Hunt & Com-
pany, of Boston, Massachusetts, as their agent and manager at Elkland, a position
he stUl occupies. Mr. Cornelius was married September 36, 1888, to Myra Edwards,
a daughter of Jacob C. and Ada (Carter) Edwards, of Elkland, and has three chil-
dren, Guy E., Alice Margaret and Joseph. Both he and wife are members of the
Methodist Episcopal church, of Elkland, and he was chairman of the building com-
mittee in the construction of the Methodist church in that borough. He was one
of the organizers of the I. 0. 0. F. lodge in Elkland, and has always taken a deep
interest in that society. Mr. Cornelius is an ardent Eepublican, and has filled
nearly all of the local ofiices of Elkland borough.

Elijah Smith came from Delaware cotmty, Kew York, to Tioga coimty,
Pennsylvania, in 1840, and followed the miller's trade in this county up to his death,
in Februarj', 1858, aged fifty-one years. He was caught in the machinery at the
Davenport mill, in Elkland, and was so badly injured that he died within an hour.
For three years prior to his death he had resided at Osceola. He married Maria
A. Eomaine, who bore him three children, viz: Diantha C, wife of John Tubbs;
Augustus and Eugene B.

AuGTTSTTjs Smith was born in Franklin, Delaware county, New York, June 27,
1838, and is a son of Elijah Smith. He was but two years old when his parents
came to Tioga county. Here he grew to manhood, and was educated in the public
schools and Union Academy. He commenced clerking at Osceola in a general
store, and later carried on the mercantile business there several years. Since July,
1883, he has been the agent at Osceola for the Addison and Pennsylvania Eailroad
Company. Mr. Smith was married April 30, 1863, to Helen Taylor, a daughter
of Col. Philip and Sally (Eyon) Taylor, of Osceola, and has two children, Eva L. and
Fred T. In politics, he is a Eepublican.

Feed T. Smith was born in Osceola, Tioga county, January 37, 1870, and is a
son of Augustus Smith, and grandson of Elijah Smith. He was reared in his native
town until sixteen years of age, and then located at Knoxville as telegraph operator
for the Addison and Pennsylvania Eailroad Company, which position he filled six
months. In June, 1887, he came to Elkland, where he held the position of railroad
agent for the same company until January, 1894. In 1890 he engaged in
the wholesale lumber business, in which he still continues, and since May,



¬І4.6 HISTOKT OF TIOGA COUNTY.



1894, has also been sales agent for the lumber interests of C. L. Pattison.
Mr. Smith was married November 12, 1890, to Carrie B. Cornelius, a daughter of
Joseph and Eliza (Taylor) Cornelius, of Elkland, and has one son, Clayton C. In
politics, he is a Eepublican, and in religion, a member of the Presbyterian church,
and is also connected with the I. 0. 0. F. He is one of the enterprising young busi-
ness men of Elkland, and gives a hearty support to every worthy project.

Egbert P. McCann was born in Bath, Steuben county, New York, August 16,
1847, a son of Jacob and Phoebe (Gregory) McCann. His paternal grandfather,
John McCann, was a native of Ireland, while his maternal grandfather, Stephen
Gregory, was from Connecticut, and a pioneer of Steuben county. New York. His
father, Jacob McCann, was a native of Chemung county. New York, where he fol-
lowed the occupation of a farmer. During the Kebellion, he served in Company P,
One Hundred and Sixty-first New York Volunteers, and was wounded in the side
by a shell in the Eed Eiver campaign. After three years' service, he was honorably
discharged, and died in 1873, from the effects of his wounds. The subject of this
sketch was reaped in his native county, was educated in the common schools, and
from thirteen years of age was employed on a farm. In August, 1864, he enlisted
in Company H, One Hundred and Eighty-ninth New York Volunteers, and took
part in the battle of Five Forks and other engagements. He was promoted to
orderly sergeant in February, 1865, and the following May was mustered out with
his regiment at Washington, 3D. C. After his return home, he learned the brick
mason's and plasterer's trades, which he followed fifteen years. Since 1872 he has
been a resident of Elkland, Tioga county, where he engaged in the general insurance
business in 1889, which he still continues. In July, 1894, he was appointed post-
master of Elkland, which office he still occupies. In 1866, Mr. McCann married
Mrs. Mary E. Strong, daughter of John E. Shott, of "Waterlooj New York. He is
a member of the Presbyterian church, and also of the I. 0. 0. F., and the G. A. E.
In politics, he is a Democrat, and served five years as justice of the peace of Elkland.

Joseph C. Dulso was born at "Waterloo, Seneca county. New York, January
21, 1858, a son of Nicholas and Katherine E. (Ester) Dulso, and is of French and
German descent. His father was a soldier in the Union army during the Eebellion,
and died in the hospital at Newberne, North Carolina, in 1864, from yellow fever.
Our subject was reared in his native town, and there obtained a public school educa-
tion. He served an apprenticeship of over three years at the barber's trade, in
Seneca Falls, New York, and in 1875 he located at Elkland, Tioga county, where
he embarked in business for himself. At that time he was the only barber in the
Cowanesque valley, between Lawrenceville and the Potter county line. For the
past twenty yeaxs he has continued to carrj^ on the same business at Elkland, and
has accumulated a competence. In 1893 he erected a substantial brick building
for business purposes, fitted up with all modern improvements, including bath rooms.
The building is conspicuous for its beauty, and would attract attention in a much
larger town thau Elkland, being no doubt the finest barber shop in Tioga county.
Mr. Dulso was married May 27, 1877, to Sarah J. Cunningham, a daughter of John
and Margaret Cunningham, of Campbell, Steuben county. New York, and has two
children, Katie aud Annie. In politics, Mr. Dulso is a Democrat, and in religious



BIOGKAPHICAL SKETCHES. 847



belief, a Catholic. He is a member of the F. & A. M., and one of the enterprising
citizens of the borough.

Joel Chambeeiain was born in Maryland, Otsego county, New York, in 1795,
a son of Elisha and Deborah (Holdridge) Chamberlain, natives of New England and
pioneers of Otsego county. In 1840 he came with his family to Chatham township,
Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he cleared and improved a farm, subsequently
removing to Farmington township, where he died at the residence of his son, Henry,
February 1, 1869, in his seventy-fourth year. His wife, Eleanor, was a daughter
of Henry Waite, of Otsego county, New York, and died in Chatham township, June
26, 1879, in her seventy-seventh year. Their children were as follows: David W.,
Henry E., Jonathan Ed., Martha A., who married Eli Beard; Sally D., who married
Oscar Clark; WilUam, Eleanor, who married Frank Andrews; _ Joel, and Esther M.,
who married Samuel Kendrick. Mr. Chamberlain was a member of the Christian
church, while his wife was a Presbyterian. In politics, he supported the Eepublican
party, and was a member of the Masonic order.

Henet Elisha Chambeelaist, son of Joel Chamberlain, was born in Mary-
land, Otsego county. New York, March 14, 1837, and came to Chatham township
with his parents when about thirteen years old. He assisted his father to clear the
old homestead, and after his marriage, in 1849, he settled on a farm of fifty-five
acres in Chatham, which he subsequently sold and purchased 105 acres in the same
township, twenty of which he cleared. In 1882 he removed to Elkland borough,
where he resided until his death, June 3, 1895. On April 8, 1849, he married
Maria Gleason, a daughter of Nelson and Esther (Taylor) Gleason, whose paternal
and maternal grandfathers, Paul Gleason and Ebenezer Taylor, were pioneers of
Tioga county. Four children were bom to this union, three of whom survive, viz:
Sarah M., wife of Truman E. Pierce; George E., and Dora A., wife of E. A. How-
land. On September 13, 1864, Mr. Chamberlain enlisted in Company C, Ninety-
ninth Pennsylvania Volunteers, was transferred to the One Hundred and Ninety-
ninth regiment, and took part in the battles of Hatcher's Bun, Clover Hill, Appomat-
tox and Petersburg, and was honorably discharged, June 28, 1865. In religion, he
was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and in politics, a Eepublican,
He was connected with the G. A. R., and was a worthy, patriotic citizen.

Lemuel Cadt, a native of Connecticut, settled in Osceola, Tioga county, about
1810. In 1813 he removed to Farmington township and purchased 300 acres of
land, which he soon afterwards sold and returned to Osceola. He was a carpenter,
and worked at his trade up to 1833 in Osceola, when he bought 100 acres in Farm-
ington adjoining his original purchase. He cleared and improved this property
and resided upon it many years. In later life he removed to Iowa, and died in that
State at the age of eighty-four years. He married Ruth Gleason, of Connecticut,
who bore him eleven children, viz: Chester, Abner, Lemuel, William, Simeon,
Selina, who married I. D. Foote; Polly, who married Lucius Daly; Emma, who
married "William Van Dusen; George, Charles and Erastus. In religion, Mr. Cady
was an adherent of the Christian church, and in politics, a Republican.

Simeon Cadt, fourth son of Lemuel and Ruth Cady, was bom in Osceola,
Tioga county, January 27, 1822, was reared in Farmington township, and attended
the common schools in boyhood. He made farming his life vocation, first clearing



348 HISTOBT OF TIOGA COTJNTT.



up fifty acres in Farming-ton, which he later exchanged for 156 acres in the same
township. This he also cleared and improved, and owned it at the time of his
death. He resided on his farm until 1886, when he removed to Elkland, and died
in that borough, March 10, 1896, in his seventy-fifth year. Mr. Cady was married
May 24, 1843, to Jemima Baxter, a daughter of John and Phoebe Baxter, of Parm-
ington township, who bore him a family of six children, as follows: Melvtn, de-
ceased, who married Elizabeth Edwards; Edwin, who married Addie Upton;
Marietta, wife of Ira Keeney; Marcus, who married Ella Beard; Milton, who
married Lillian Shelly, and John, who married Bertha Bolt. Mrs. Cady died
January 23, 1894. Mr. Cady was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church half
a century, and in politics, an adherent of the Eepublican party. His life was an
example of honesty and industry, as well as kindly charity towards his fellowmen.

Geoege C. Signob, proprietor of the Hotel Signor, was bom at Kingston,
Ulster county. New York, February 15, 1858, and is a son of Capt. David A. and
Sarah M. (DeBell) Signor. His paternal grandfather, Jacob I. Signor, son of
David Abiel Signor, was a prominent citizen of Ulster county, of which at one
time he was sheriff. His paternal grandmother was Catherine Hasbrouck. His
maternal grandparents, Daniel and Phoebe A. (Fairchild) DeBell, were also resi-
dents of Ulster county, New York. Our subject was reared in that State, and was
educated in the Ithaca public schools and the State Normal School, at Cortland,
graduating from the latter institution in 1875. After leaving school he studied law
for a year and a half, for the purpose of fitting himself for business. He next spent
three years in Kansas, as overseer and manager of a large cattle ranch. In 1880
he located at Knoxville, Tioga county, where he conducted the Eagle House for
one year. The following three years he spent in Virginia, in the real estate busi-
ness, and in 1884 purchased the National Hotel at Corning, New York, which he
conducted one year. He then sold out and bought the Westlake Hotel, at Addison,
New York, which he carried on one year, and then sold it. In 1886 he purchased
the hotel property in Elkland, Tioga county, since known as the Hotel Signor.
Here he has built up a successful business, and conducts one of the model hotels
of the Cowanesque valley. Mr. Signor was married September 8, 1880, to Etta
Piay, a daughter of Nelson G. and Hattie (Howland) Pay, of Knoxville, Pennsyl-
vania, and has one son. Pay. In politics, he is a stanch Democrat, and is a mem-
ber of the I. 0. 0. F., the K. of H., and the S. F. I.

Asa Ceandall, a native of Phode Island, was one of the first settlers of Coving-
ton, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he was engaged in the manufacture of furni-
ture a number of years. He was of Scotch descent, his ancestors being members



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 114 of 163)