Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 115 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 115 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of the Clan McCannan. His wife, Matilda, was a daughter of Captain Saunders,
an Englishman, who was lost at sea while on a whaling expedition. Mr. and Mrs.
Crandall were the parents of the following children: John, Eliza, who married
George Backus; Mary, who married George Frink; Asa, Artemesia, who married
a Mr. Booth; Sarah, who married Deacon Kinney; Hannah, who married Chauncy
Johnson, and Chai-les M. Mr. Crandall and wife were members of the Baptist
church, and in politics, he was a Whig. He died in Covington about 1850, and
is there buried.

Chaeles M. Ceandall, youngest son of Asa and Matilda (Saunders) Crandall,



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 849



was born in Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania, May 30, 1834, and was reared in
Tioga county. In eaxly life he engaged in mercantile pursuits in Indiana, but dur-
ing the war, he returned east and located at Montrose, Susquehanna county, where
he was engaged in the manufacture of toys and novelties from 1861 to 1883. In
the latter year he removed to Waverly, New York, where he has since carried on
the same business. Mr. Crandall has been twice married. His first wife was Susan,
a daughter of Benjamin and Margaret (Wilcox) Kress, of Bradford county. Her
grandfather was an expert silversmith, and stole his passage to America because
of an English law prohibiting silversmiths leaving that country. Four children
were born to this union, viz: Fred W., Benjamin J., Jesse M. and Fannie. His
second wife was Annie F. Austin, a daughter of Dana Austin, of Montrose, Penn-
sylvania, who bore him five children, viz: Bessie, Charlie, Florence, Mable and
Dorothea. Mr. Crandall is an adherent of the Eepublican party, and in religion,
a member of the Presbyterian church.

Feed W. Ceandall, eldest child of Charles M. and Susan (Kress) Crandall,
was born at Laporte, Indiana, March 29, 1855. When six years oLd he removed
mth his parents to Montrose, Pennsylvania. He was educated in the public schools,
and at the State Normal School, Millersville, and v/hen fifteen years of age he
entered his father's factory at Montrose. He served as manager for two years,
and on attaining his majority he took entire. charge of the factory under contract,
occupying that position until 1880. A stock company was then organized, with
a capital stock of $100,000, our subject taking one-fourth of the amount. He eon-
tinned as manager of the manufacturing branch of the business up to 1883, when
the stock company was wound up, Mr. Crandall purchasing the business and con-
tinuing it under the firm name of F. W. Crandall & Company, until August 26,
1886. On that date the plant was destroyed by fire, entailing a loss of $40,000.
Two weeks later he resumed business in rented rooms, using power from the agri-
cultural works at that place, and in January, 1887, he removed to Elkland, Tioga
county, purchasing the plant of the Elkland Chair Company. He has since added
sub=laniial buildings to accommodate his increasing business in the manufacture
of toys and novelties, and gives employment to from fifty to seventy-five hands,
doing an annual business of $30,000. He has also been engaged in lumbering since
1894, and is one of the enterprising and substantial citizens of the borough. Mr.
Crandall was married at Montrose, Pennsylvania, October 12, 1876, to Augusta A.
Seymour, a daughter of James and Ann E. (Howell) Seymour. They are the par-
ents of four children, viz: Susie K., Mary H., Fannie M. and Helen A. Mrs.
Crandall died March 14, 1893. Politically, he is a Eepublican, has served on the
school board and common council of Elkland, and is a member and trustee of the
Presbyterian church.

Clark B. Bailey, a son of Clark W. and Vesta (Judd) Bailey, and grandson
of Eoswell Bailey, a pioneer of Charleston township, Tioga county, was born in
Eichmond township, Tioga county, September 30, 1851. When he was five years
of age his parents removed to Mansfield, where he obtained his education at the
State Normal School. In 1884 he purchased a foundry plant at Knoxville, which
was burned in 1888, and in January, 1890, he erected a plant at Elkland. This
was burned in December following, and he immediately rebuilt in 1891, which he

54



850 HISTOBT OF TIOGA COUNTY.

still owns, but leases. Prom August, 1893, up to March, 1896, he operated the
Elkland Basket Works, of which he was four-fifths owner, and gave employment
to seventy-five hands. On the latter date he sold to the Davidge Manufacturing
Company, in which he is a stockholder, and the works were removed to Coudersport,
Potter county. Mr. Bailey is general agent for the McCormick Manufacturing
Company, of Chicago, for the sale of their machines in Tioga and adjoining coun-
ties, which position he has held since 1888. He hiis built up an extensive business,
increasing his sales from twelve machines the first year to 300 in 1895. On March
15, 1882, Mr. Bailey married Fettle Bixby, a daughter of Gilbert H. and Louisa
Bixby, of "Waverly, New York. They are the parents of four children: Eoy J.,
Clara V., Gertrude B. and Harold C. Mr. Bailey is a member of the Methodist
Episcopal church, and in poliiics, is a Eepublican.

Phof. Makion F. Cass, principal of the Elkland public schools, was born in
.Farmington township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, October 26, 1850, a son of
Willard and Esther (Cass) Cass, both natives of New Hampshire, and of Scotch
extraction. His parents settled in Farmington township about 1847, where his
father resided until his death in 1894. Marion F. was reared on the old homestead
until thirteen years of age, when he went to Elkland and entered the employ of Joel
Parkhurst, with whom he remained three years. He then returned to Farmington,
and worked on a farm in summer, while he taught school during the winter seasons,
for several years. He graduated at the State Normal School, Mansfield, in 1873,
and subsequently taught six years at Nelson anl three years at Lawrenceville. He
was county superintendent of schools for nine successive years, and filled the office
with credit and ability. In 1890 he was principal of the Elkland public schools,
and since 1891 he has filled the same position, being to-day one of the most popular
teachers in the county. Professor Cass was married May 17, 1876, to Susan M.
Baxter, a daughter of G. Henry and Clara (Manley) Barter, of Nelson township,
and has two children, George W. and Eva E. In polities, he is a Eepublican, and
is a member of the Presbyterian church, also of the F. & A. M., and the I. 0. 0. P.

Cael E. Bailey was born in Eichmond township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania,
January 11, 1865, and is a son of Eobert B. and Julia (Hager) Bailey, a sketch of
whom appears in this work. He was educated in the public schools of his native
township and at Charleston High School, In 1883 he went to Herkimer county,
New York, continuing there for nearly seven years, during which period he learned
his present business. In 1889 he located at Elkland, Tioga county, where he pur-
chased a meat market, and has since successfully carried on a wholesale and retail
business, the leading business of the kind in this vicinity. He also owns and oper-
ates the largest cold storage plant in Tioga county, and is the proprietor of the only
ice business in Elkland. Mr. Bailey was married April .33, 1891, to Viola Cross, a
daughter of Nathan and Adelia (Smith) Cross, of Little Falls, New York. In
politics, he is a Eepublican, and in religion, both he and wife are members of the
Presbyterian church. He is also connected with Elkland Lodge, No. 800, I. 0. 0.
F., and is one of the progressive young business men of that borough.

John Wakely (originally spelled "Waklee"), born in Otsego county, New York,
in 1796, was a son of John and Elizabeth (Cummings) Wakely, pioneers 'of Deerfield
township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania. In 1827 he removed to Brookfield town-



BIOGBAPHICAL SKETCHES. 851



shipj where he cleared and improved a farm of 136 acres. In the spring of 1864
he sold out and removed to Tronpsbiirg, New York, where he died March 38, of
that year, aged sixty-eight. He was twice married. PLis first wife, Dinah, was a
daughter of Rnfus and Mary Cook, of Otsego county, New York, and became the
mother of six children. His second wife wa.s Mary A. Murdoek. During his resi-
dence in Deerfield township, Mr. "Wakely served as constable for several years, and
for twelve years he was a justice of the peace in Brookfield township. In 1837 he
was elected sherifE of Tioga county, which office he filled for three years. In 1841
he was elected to the legislature and served in that body with marked ability. Mr.
Wakely was a member of the Masonic order, and also of the I. 0. 0. F.

William 0. Wakely, son of John and Mary A. (Murdoek) Wakely, was bom
in Wellsboro, Tioga county, June 5, 1840, and was educated in the common schools
and Union Academy. In 1862 he enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Thirty-
sixth Pennsylvania Volunteers, was slightly wounded at the battle of Fredericksburg,
and after nine months' service was honorably discharged. In 1864 he re-enlisted in
Company D, Two Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served
until the close of the war. For twelve years afterwards he dealt in horses, during
which time he resided in Westfield, and from 1888 to 1884, he followed the same
business in Wisconsin. Since that time he has been employed as a salesman of
agricultural implements in Tioga county and vicinity, his residence being at Elk-
land since April, 1894. Mr. Wakely has been twice married. His first wife, Mrs. Kate
Secord, was a daughter of John Losey, of West Pike, Potter county, Pennsylvania,
who left one son by her former husband, Sheridan J. Secord. His second wife
was Cassie Sherwood, a daughter of Orrin and Lucy A. (Seely) Sherwood, of Brook-
field township. Mr WaJcely is a member of the G. A. E., and in politics, an ad-
herent of the Eepublican party.

Chahles Sandbach, son of William and Catherine Sandbach, was born in
Prussia, Germany, April 13, 1842, and immigrated to New York City in 1850. He
there learned and followed the occupation of a feeder of cylinder presses. In 1864
he married Maria Wiesner, of that city, and the same year located in Germania, Pot-
ter county, Pennsylvania, where he became the proprietor of the Germania Hotel,
which he conducted until 1880. In 1881 he purchased the Baldwin House, at
Wellsboro, Tioga county, changed the name to the Sandbach House, thoroughly
refitted and refiimished it, and has since successfully carried it on. Mr. Sandbach
and wife are the parents of five children, viz: Eobert W., Eichard E., Emily M.,
wife of Dr. F. L. Dolbeai'e, of Brooklyn, New York; Martha and Elsa. In politics,
Mr. Sandbach is a Democrat, and is a member of the Masonic order.

EiCHAED E. Sandbach, second son of Charles Sandbach, was born in Ger-
mania, Potter county, October 29, 1866, and was reared in Potter and Tioga coun-
ties. In 1884 he went to New York City, where he was employed as entry clerk
and assistant book-keeper in a wholesale hotise until 1887, during which period he
passed a civil service examination for a clerkship in the appraisers' department of
the United States Custom House, which position he filled from January 18, 1887,
until March 6, 1890. On April 1, 1890, he returned to Wellsboro, Tioga county,
where he clerked in his father's hotel three months, and then assumed management
of the same until January 1, 1891. In October of the latter year, he went to Oeosta,



852 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Washington, where he was engaged in the brewing business for two years and a half.
In May, 1894, he removed his brewery to Keno, Nevada, but sold out in October
and returned to Tioga county. His mother having purchased the Coles Hotel, at
Elkland, he became proprietor of the same, and since November 1, 1894, he has
since conducted it under the name of the Sandbach House. He is a member of
the I. 0. 0. r., and K. of P., and in politics, an ardent Democrat.

WiLLAKD C. Griffiths was born in Elmira, New York, February 38, 1867, a
son of William E. and Mary C. (Gould) Griffiths, and is of Welsh descent. He was
reared in New York state, and was educated in the Addison Union school and acad-
emy. On August 14, 1881, he entered the oiiice of the Addison Advertiser, to serve
an apprenticeship at the printer's trade, and remained there six years. In Novem-
ber, 1887, he went to New Haven, Connecticut, where he worked on different papers,
and finally lield an important position in a large job printing and book publishing
house of that city four years In 1891 he located at Elkland, Tioga county, pui'-
chasing the plant of the Elkiand Journal, which paper he conducted until Septem-
ber, 189G, when it suspended publication. Mr. Griffiths was married FebmarTy' 35,
1893, to .Jennie M. Hammond, a daughter of John W. and Addie (Delamater) Ham-
mond, of Osceola, and has two daughters, Helen M. and Florence A. Politically,
Mr. Griffiths is a Eepublican.

OSCEOLA BOROUGH.

IsH-4EL BuLKLET WHS One of the first settlers in the Cowanesque valley, locating
in Osceola, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in ISOO. The Bulkley family is of ancient
English lineage. Ten generations can be traced on English soil down to Eev.
Peter Bulkley, of Odell, a graduate of St. John's College, Cambridge, who immi-
grated to America in 1634, and settled at Concord, Massachusetts. From the Eev.
Peter Bulkley, the line of descent runs through the Eev. Gershom and Eev. .John
Bulkley, to Peter Bulkley, of Colchester, Connecticut, who married Susamiah
Newton, and was the father of Israel Bulklej', tlie pioneer of the family in Tioga
county. Israel was born January 33, 1763, and served a brief time in Capt. N.
Waterman's company, in the Eevolution, when the British burned New London.
He married Lucy Chapin, born November 23, 1767. Their children were as fol-
lows: Ealph, born December 19, 1794; George, November 37, 1796, who died young;
Lucy, March 39, 1799, who married Col. Lemuel Davenport; George (3nd), October
3, 1801, the first of the family born in Tioga county; Ira, March 3, 1804;" Hiram, Sep-
tember 17, 1806; Newton, April 34, 1809, and Charles, September 18, 1813, who
died, in early youth. At the time of his removal to this county, Mr. Bu.lkley pos-
sessed considerable property, and was recognized as one of the leading spirits in the
Cowanesque valley. He brought with him an improved breed of cattle and other
live stock, cleared the farm upon which his grandson, Charles Bulkley, now resides,
established a blacksmith shop, dealt in merchandise, built a grist-mill, earding-mill
and distillery, and was a land surveyor and agent for the Strawbridge estate. He
planted a nursery of fruit trees upon his farm, from which was raised the first
orchards in Tioga county. His plantation was a central point in the pioneer set-
tlements, and meetings, elections and general training-days were held at his place
for several years. He died January 18, 1838, and was succeeded by his son, Ira, who
then took charge of the homestead farm.



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 853



Ika Bulkley was honi in Osceola, Tioga eoimty, Maxch 3, 1804, grew to man-
liood on the homestead, and limited his business operations almost entirely to farm-
ing. He brought his farm under a high state of cultivation, and was awarded the
prize of the Tioga County Agricultural Society several times for possessing the best
improved farm in the county. One of the attractions of the place for many years
was a well-stocked deer park. Mr. Bulkley was twice married. On October 4, 1826,
he married Harriet Belding, a daughter of Cyprian and Harriet (Belding) Wright,
to whom were bom three children, viz: Charles, bom November 25, 1827; Esther,
June 13, 1829, and Harriet, December 13, 1831, the last two of whom died young.
He was again married November 24, 1833, to Esther Maria Wright, born in 1812, who
died September 18, 1895. Mr. Bulkley died November 19, 1876.

Chaeles Bulkley, only living child of Ira Bulkley, was born on the homestead,
November 25, 1827. He was educated in the common schools and at Union
Academy. He succeeded to the home farm, and has acquired by successive purchase
the larger part of his grandfather's real estate, until to-day he is the owner of over
500 acres of highly improved farming land. He has held many local offices with
much acceptance to those he served. He has been twice married. On November
26, 1856, he married Marietta, a daughter of Lloyd and Maria (Eeynolds) Perry.
Their children were: Perry, bom August 29, 1857, who died young; Myra, Novem-
ber 15, 1858, wife of Henry Tubbs, and Carrie, September 24, 1867, wife of George
Gershom Dorrance. He was again married August 26, 1885, to Mrs. Clarissa
Mannigan, who died November 10, 1896.

George Newton Bulkley was bom in Osceola, Tioga county, October 8,
1845, and resided on the Newton Bulkley homestead in Osceola borough until his
death, January 7, 1885. He was a son of Newton and Phoebe Ann (Barker) Bulkley,
and a grandson of Israel and Lucy (Chapin) Bulkley. His father was born in Osceola,
April 24, 1809, married Phoebe Ann Barker, and lived and died upon the farm now
occupied by his grand-daughter, Mrs. Eobert C. Baker. The subject of this sketch
was married March 19, 1867, to Hannah Eudora Brader, a daughter of George and
Mary (Chapin) Brader, of Kingston, Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, who bore him
two children: Thomas B., deceased, and Phoebe Prances, wife of Robert C. Baker.
Mr. Bulkley was a florist and market gardner, took a deep interest in horticulture,
and won many prizes at county fairs and exhibits. He owned 235 acres of land, of
which 160 acres is in the old homestead. In politics, he was an ardent Eepublican,
and in religion a member of the Presbyterian church.

Abner Gleason was born in Oxford, Massachusetts, December 6, 1745, a
son of Joseph and Lydia (Tarbox) Gleason. He came from Charlton, Massachusetts,
to what is now Osceola, Tioga County, Pennsylvania, in 1809, and worked at the
cooper's trade. He was twice married. His first mfe, Abigail Rich, bore him six
children, viz: David, Rachel, Paul, Abigail, Abner and William. His second
wife, Deborah Baker, was the mother of two children: Ruth, who married Lemuel
Cady, and Polly, who married Simon Nicholas. Mr. Gleason died in 1816, and his
remains were the first interred in Osceola cemetery.

Paul Gleason, son of Abner and Abigail Gleason, was bom in Charlton,
Massachusetts, JaJiuary 12, 1778, and came with his parents to Osceola, Tioga
county, in 1809, where. he worked at the shoemaker's trade and also engaged in



854 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.



farming. On February 16, 1803, he married .Judith, a daughter of John and Cathe-
rine Warren. Seven children were the fruits of this union, viz: Nelson, Julia,
who married Armon Cloos; Warren, John W., George E., Anna, who married James
Tuhbs, and Maneir. Mr. Gleason was the first constable of Elkland, and held several
other local offices at different periods. He died June 38, 1843.

Mancie Gleason, youngest child of Paul and Judith Gleason, was born in
Osceola, Tioga county, July 14, 1834, and in early manhood began working in the
lumber woods, and also on a farm. He later spent two years as a jobber in clearing
land in Chatham township. In 1844 he purchased the farm in Osceola upon which
he now resides, where he has lived for more than half a centuiy. Mr. Gleason was
married November 9, 1851, to Mary Van Zile, a daughter of Isaac and Hannah
(Mills) Van Zile, of Osceola, and has three children: Ezra, James and Metta.
Mrs. Gleason died November 6, 1896. In politics, he is a Republican, and a member
of the Patrons of Husbandry.

EzEA Gleason, eldest child of Maneir Gleason, was bom in Osceola, Tioga
county, September 33, 1853, grew to manhood upon the old homestead, and was
educated in the public schools of Elkland and Osceola. In 1877 he purchased
ninety acres of the old farm, most of which he has cleared and improved, and has
since added sixty-six acres to his original purchase. On March 33, 1877, he mar-
ried Sarah S. Perkins, a daughter of Samuel and Marietta (Brown) Perkins, of
Steuben county. New York. They are the parents of four children: Judd, Bertha,
Samuel and Harry. Mr. Gleason is a member of the P. of H., and the K. & L. of H.
He is a Republican, in politics, and is one of the school directors of Osceola.

Ebenezeb Tayloe was bom on the Delaware river, in either Pennsylvania or
New Jersey, November 15, 1767, a son of Ebenezer and Permelia Taylor. He
settled in what is now Elkland, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1803, removing to
what is now Osceola in 1811. He was a hunter of considerable note, and when
not out on the chase, devoted his attention to farming. He married Polly Cook,
a daughter of Reuben Cook, the pioneer, who died at Osceola, June 35, 1839.
Their children were as follows: Sally, who married John Mascho; Samuel, Per-
melia, who married Samuel Tubbs; Philip, Polly, who married Benjamin Tubbs;
Margaret, who married Abel Cloos; Esther, who became the wife of Nelson Gleason;
Catherine, who married Asahel Morey; Lavina, who married William Weeks;
Lucinda, who married John W. Gleason, and Elvira C, who became the wife of
David M. Van Zile. Mr. Taylor died November 14, 1850.

Col. Philip Tayloe, son of Ebenezer and Polly Taylor, is a well-remembered
farmer of Osceola, where he cleared and improved the farm now owned by Charles
B. Hoyt. He was married by Nathaniel Seely, Esq., June 3, 1835, to Sally Ryon,
a daughter of Judge John and Susannah Eyon, who settled on the site of Elkland
in the spring of 1811. She was bom in Newtown, now a part of Elmira, New York,
December 38, 1808, the eldest in a family of twelve children, six of whom are
living. Mrs. Taylor became the mother of eight children, seven of whom survive,
as follows: Polly, who married Jeremiah Stoddard; Charlotte R., widow of Prol
I. G. Hoyt; Hiram, Susan, who married J. B. Payne; Helen M., who married Au-
gustus Smith; Charles R., and Permeha, who married P. G. Wass. Mr. Taylor was
a colonel in the militia prior to the Rebellion, hence his title. He filled several



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 855'



local offices in the township at different periods, and took an active interest in pub-
lic affairs. Colonel Taylor and wife united with the Presbyterian church of Elk-
land, Majch 13, 1859, and remained consistent members until their death. He
died in 1866. His wife surviyed him thirty years, dying in Osceola, Sunday morn-
ing, March 1, 1896, in the eighty-eighth year of her age, one of the last links that
bound the historic past to the eventful and changing present.

Capt. Charles Eton Tatloe was born in what is now Osceola borough,
Tioga county, August 9, 1840, a son of Col. Philip and Sally Taylor. He was
reared in his native town, ajid was educated in the public schools and Union
Academy. He commenced his business life as a clerk in a general store at Academy
Oomers. October 8, 1861, he entered Company L, Second Pennsylvania Cavalry,
as first lieutenant, and was promoted to captain November 1, 1862. He partici-
pated with the Army of the Potomac in the battles of Wolfton, Cedar Mountain,
Second Bull Eun, New Baltimore, Little "Washington, Berryville, Occoquan, Glou-
cester Point, Prying Pan, Gettysburg, Culpepper, Bristoe Station, Brentsville, Bev-
erly Ford, Brandy Station, Mine Eun, Beaver Dam, Meadow Bridge, Hawe's Shop,
Trevillian Station, White House Landing, St. Mary's Church, Jerusalem Plank
Eoad, Deep Bottom, Lee's Mills and Beam's Station, where he received a gun-shot
wound in the right hand, August 23, 1864, and was mustered out of the service
November 5, of that year. Captain Taylor returned to Osceola, and in 1871 em-
barked in the mercantile business in that borough, which he continued three years.
He was constable of Osceola for thirteen years, and has held the office of justice of
the peace since 1886. On February 17, 1870, he married Stella A. Seely, a daughter
of Morgan and Harriet (Beebe) Seely, of Osceola. In politics. Captain Taylor is a
stanch Eepublican, and is also a member of the F. & A. M., and the G. A. E. ,

Samuel Tubes, Se., a son of Lebbeus and Bathsheba (Hamilton) Tubbs, was
bom in Lyme, Connecticut, in 1755. In 1773 he came with his parents from New
London, Connecticut, to Pennsylvania, and settled at "Wyoming. August 26, 1776,
he enlisted in Capt. Eobert Durkee's Independent Company, which was attached to
Col. John Durkee's regiment of the Connecticut Line. He remained in the service
until the close of the Eevolution, participating in the battles of Bound Brook, Mill
Stone Eiver, Mud Creek, Brandywine and Germantown. He wintered with the



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 115 of 163)