Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 117 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 117 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


which he has since devoted his whole attention. Dr. Bosworth was married Sep-
tember 2, 1872, to Ida V. Seely, a daughter of Morgan and Harriet (Beebe) Seely,
of Osceola, and has two children: Ford E. and Reed S. Mrs. Bosworth died April
14, 1896. In politics, he is a stanch Republican, is a member of the Masonic
order, and an adherent of the Presbyterian church.

Peop. Isaac Gunn Hoyt was born in Kingston, Luzerne county, Pennsylva-
nia, July 23, 1826, a son of Levi and Sarah (Gunn) Hoyt. His paternal grand-
father, Daniel Hoyt, a son of Comfort and Anna (Beach) Hoyt, of Danbury, Con-
necticut, settled in Kingston, Pennsylvania, in 1795. His maternal grandfather,
Abel Gunn, was a direct descendant of one of the Scottish chiefs, who was head of
a claa in the Highlands of Scotland. He came to America prior to the Revolution,
and served in that war as a member of Washington's body-guard. The subject of
this sketch was educated at the Kingston graded schools, Wyommg Seminary and
Poughkeepsie Seminary, and studied music at Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania,
Poughkeepsie, New York, and the New England Conservatory of Music, Boston,



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. ggg



Massachusetts. Tor several seasons he attended the annual sessions of the New
England Institutes of music, thus availing himself of the advantages to be obtained
by these courses under the best musical directors. He devoted his life to the musical
profeesion, and to the cultivation of music as an art. His method of teaching was
the same as that used by the New England Conservatory of Music, obtained from L.
Franklin Snow, secretary of the Conservatory, and consisted of studies from Bach,
Moschelles, Kohler, Beethoven and others of the old masters. In 1853
Professor Hoyt located at Osceola and entered upon his life-work as
a musical instructor. He taught here one year, and in 1854, at
Ithaca, New York. From 1856 to 1859 he was musical instructor at
Osceola and Union Academy; from 1859 to 1861 at Greensboro Synodi-
cal Female College, Atlanta, Georgia; from 1861 to 1865 in the Osceola High
School, and from 1866 to 1871 at the State Normal School, Mansfield. In 18,73 he
opened the Osceola School of Musical Instruction, which he conducted successfully
four yeaJB. In 1884 he was again called to take charge of the Musical Department
of the State Normal School at Mansfield, which position he filled until 1887. He
resigned and returned to Osceola, where he was engaged in giving musical instruction
and dealing in musical instruments up to his death, November 12, 1895. In 1859
Professor Hoyt married Charlotte E. Taylor, a daughter of Philip and Sally Taylor,
of Osceola. They reared an adopted daughter, Leah Louise. Professor Hoyt was
a member of the F. & A. M., and was an adherent of the Eepublican party from its
organization.

Stltanus S. Bakeb was bom in Otsego county. New York, November 38,
1813, a son of George and Susan (Knapp) Baiter. He was reared in his native
county, whence he removed in 1844 to Chatham township, Tioga county, Pennsyl-
vania, and a year later settled in Westfield township, where he cleared and improved
a farm, upon which he died in the winter of 1895. In May, 1834, he married Sally
Guiles, a daughter of Eay and Molly (Hodge) Guiles, of Otsego county. New York.
Nine children were born to this union, viz: Leroy, M0II3', who married Anderson
Burdick; George, Susan, who married Samuel Pierce; Aaron E., Lester, Arsula, who
married Albert Gament; Annie, wife of Dana Learn, and Allen. Mr. Baker was a
member of the Westfield Methodist church, and in politics, a Eepublican. Mrs.
Baker was an able and willing helper, beaxing cheerfully a large part in providing
for her family. She was one of whom those who knew her could say only good.

Aaeon E. Bakek, son of Sylvanus S. Baker, was born in Chatham township,
Tioga county. May 25, 1844, and was reared to manhood in Westfield township.
In 1867 he located on his present farm situated on the line of Osceola and Farming-
ton townships, and lived on the Farmington side up to 1884, when he moved to his
new residence in Osceola. Mr. Baker was married December 35, 1866, to Ann
Casbeer, a daughter of Eobert and Susan (House) Casbeer, who were among the
pioneers of Farmington township. Of the five children born to this union, four are
living, viz: Eobert C, Eaymond E., Victor H., and S. Lelia. Mr. Baker and wife
are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. He is superintendent of the
Sunday-school, also a class leader. In politics, he is a Prohibitionist, and is a
member of the Patrons of Husbandry.

EoBEBT Casbeee Bakeb, eldest son of Aaron E. Baker, was bom in Farming-



gg4 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.



ton township, Tioga county, August 30, 1868, was reared beneath the parental roof,
and obtained his education in the Osceola public schools. With the exception of
four years that he clerked in a general store at Osceola, farming has been his occu-
pation, and he has lived on his present farm since the fall of 1888. Mr. Baker was
married to Phoebe Trances Bulkley, a daughter of George Newton and HannaJi
Eudora (Brader) Bulkley, September 11, 1888. Mrs. Baker is a grand-daughter of
Newton and Phoebe Ann (Barker) Bulkley, and great-grand-daughter of Israel Bulk-
ley, who settled in what is now Osceola in the year 1800. Mr. and Mrs. Baker have
two children living. Prances Edna and Anna C. They reside upon the old Newton
Bulkley homestead. Mr. Baker is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church,
while his wife is an adherent of the Presbyterian faith. In politics, he is a Ke-
publican.

Gayloed G. Colvin was born in Herkimer county. New York, and was a son
of Joshua Colvin, and a grandson of Joseph Colvin, pioneers of Deerfield town-
ship, Tioga county, Pennsylvania. Joshua Colvin improved upwards of 300 acres of
land near Academy Corners, in which work he was assisted by our subject. The
Colvins were of Ehode Island Quaker stock. Joseph was a son of Joseph, a grandson
of Thomas, a great-grandson of Samuel, and a great-great-grandson of John Colvin,
the first of the family to settle in America. The children of Joseph and Euth
Colvin, the pioneers of Deerfield, were as follows: Wealthy, who married Nehe-
miah Eobinson; Joseph, Betsey, who married Daniel Cummings; Lydia, who married
Jonathan Matteson; Joshua, Christopher and Thomas. Of these Joshua and Chris-
topher were the father and father-in-law, respectively of our subject. Gaylord G.
Colvin came with his parents to Deerfield township, Tioga county, and was suc-
cessively a farmer and merchant. In later life he removed to Osceola, where he
died May 8, 1883, at the age of eighty-two years. His wife, Euth, was a daughter
of Christopher and Elizabeth (Hills) Colvin, of Herkimer county. New York. She
became the mother of seventeen children, only three of whom grew to maturity, viz:
Benjamin P., Daniel C, and Mary C, wife of Charles L. Hoyt.

Benjamin P. Colvin was born in Herkimer county. New York, January 10,
1836, a son of Gaylord G. and Euth Colvin. From the age of seven years, he was
reared in Spring Mills, New York. In 1848 he removed to Bingham, Potter county,
Pennsylvania, where he lived until 1871. In that year he removed to Osceola,
Tioga county, where he was engaged in farming until 1883, when he retired from
active business. On January 31, 1862, Mr. Colvin enlisted in Company K, One
Hundred and Eleventh Pennsylvania Volunteers. In May following he was in-
jured in a railroad wreck, between Harper's Ferry and Winchester, Virginia, and
was honorably discharged from the service January 31, 1865. In October, 1865,
he married Jennie Crissman, of Blairsville, Pennsylvania. Mr. Colvin is a member
of the Methodist Episcopal church, and is also connected with the Masonic order and
the G. A. E. In politics, he is an advocate of the principles of the Prohibition
party.

John Beown was bom in Sweden, January 2, 1847, a son of Johannes and
Kate (Andrus) Brown. He was reared to manhood in his native country, there re-
ceived a common school education, and came to the United States in 1869. He re-
mained in Hartford, Connecticut, eight months, coming to Fall Brook, Tioga county,



BIOGHAPHICAL SKETCHES. 865



Pennsylvania^ in 1870, where he found employment in the mines five yeao-s. In
1875 he removed to Elkland, entering the employ of Joel Parkhurst, and in 1876 en-
gaged in farming, which business he has since continued. He lived in Elkland up to
April 1, 1894, when he removed to Osceola, which was his home until the spring of
1897 when he took charge of one of the Pattison estate faxms in Elkland. During
"his former residence at Elkland, he was buyer for a large wholesale tobacco house of
New York City. On January 34, 1874, he was married in Pall Brook to Christina
Hunson, a native of Sweden, and has three children, viz: Anna, Charlie ajid Emma.
In politics, Mr. Brown is a Republican, was burgess of Elkland three terms, school
director three years and assistant assessor three years.

HoEACE Eldkidge, a native of Saratoga county. New York, was a son of
Thomas and Elizabeth (Graham) Eldridge, natives of Vermont, and New York
states, respectively, who settled in Clymer township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania,
in 1847. Horace assisted his father in clearing a farm, and in 1861 returned to
Saratoga Springs, New York. In 1862 he enlisted in Company P, Ninety-fifth New
York Volunteers, and was killed at the battle of Weldon Railroad, near Culpepper,
Virginia, in May, 1864. His wife, Mary, was a daughter of Sylvester Hall, of Sara-
toga, New York, and bore him two children: Elizabeth, wife of William Baker, of
Woodhull, New York, and John Edward, of Osceola, Tioga county.

John Edwakd Eldkidge was born in Clymer township, Tioga county, Sep-
tember 21, 1849, and is the only son of Horace and Maoj Eldridge. He was
educated in the common schools of his native township and at Port Edward Jnsti'
tute. Fort Edward, New York. He followed clerking in a general store for two years,
and from 1866 to 1880 clerked in various hotels, including the Marvin House, Sara-
toga Springs, New York; Sun Hotel, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, and Prasier House,
Blmira, New York. Since 1880 he has been employed in the Osceola tannery, and
for the past ten years has held the important position of superintendent of the
liquor department, being in charge of the liquid used in tanning leather. Mr.
Eldridge was married October 4, 1874, to Mary Gleason, a daughter of John and
Mary Gleason, of Elmira, New York. They have four children, viz: George,
Prances, "Walter and Gertrude. In politics, Mr. Eldridge is a Democrat, and is a
member of the K. of H.

Pbop. Aetemtjs Edwaeds was bom at Norwich, Chenango county. New York,
October 31, 1843, and is a son of Andrew and Sarah A. (Brookins) Edwards. He was
educated at Professor Kenyon's academy, Troupsburg, New York, and Alfred Uni-
versity, Alfred, New York, and began his career as a teacher at seventeen years of
age. He taught twenty terms in the common schools of New York state. On
March 27, 1863, he enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Sixty-first New York
Volunteers, was with General Banks on the Red River Expedition, and took part in
the battles of Spanish Port and Port Blakely. He was honorably discharged at
Tallahassee, Plorida, November 17, 1865, and returned to his home in New York,
where he resumed teaching. In 1882 he located at Westfield, Tioga county, Penn-
sylvania, where he was principal of the graded schools six years. In 1888 he be-
came principal of the Osceola High School, a position he filled in a very creditable
manner and to the satisfaction of the people up to the spring of 1896. In the
autumn of that year he took charge of the schools at Potter Brook, which position

55



ggg HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.



he Still occupies. On March 14, 1867, he married Maria BroTO, a daughter of
Joseph and Sarah (Bartles) Brown, of Oxford, New York, ajid had three children
by this union: Fr^d E., Edith M. and PaulJ. His second wife was May Northrop,
a daughter of Dr. G. W. and W. Ellen (De Wolf) Northrop, of Bradford county,
Pennsylvania, who is *he mother of two children: George A. and Ellen M.
Professor Edwards is a Democrat, in politics, and in religion, a member of the
Methodist Episcopal church. He is a E. A. M. in the Masonic order, and is also

connected with the G. A. R.

Geoege Eebek was bom in Locust Valley, Schuylkill county, PennsylYania,
September 19, 1824, and is a son of George and Mary (Knittle) Eeber. His paternal
grandfather, George Eeber, was a native of Schuylkill county, where he kept a
hotel for many years, and was an extensive owner of coal lands. His maternal
grandfather, Abraham Knittle, was a prominent farmer of that county. The sub-
ject of this sketch was reared in Schuylkill county, and received a meagre common
school education. He served an apprenticeship at the blacksmith's trade, which he
completed in 1851, and followed that vocation upwards of thirty years. In 1885
he located at Academy Comers, Tioga county, where he was engaged in quarrying
stone for three years. He quarried the first flag-stone from the Ingham quarry,
near Academy Corners, and also from the Westfield quarry. In 1888 he located at
Osceola, where for the past nine years he has been engaged in quarrying a fine grade
of flag-stone from a quarry which he leased at that place. Mr. Eeber has been twice
married. His first wife, Mary Jane Cavenaugh, was a daughter of James and Mary
(Clark) Cavanaugh, of Elmira, New York, and bore him five children, viz: James,
George, Charles, Ella and Wilson. His second wife was Mrs. Elizabeth Eeed, nee
Fuller. Mr. Eeber is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and in politics,
a Eepublican.

Edwin E. Claek, physician and surgeon, was bom in WoodhuU, Steuben
county, New York, May 15, 1866, and is a son of Eleazer and Julia A. (Johnson)
Clark, and is of New England ancestry. He was reared in New York state, and was
educated in the common schools and Starkey Seminary. In 1889 he commenced
the study of medicine, and was graduated at the College of Physicians and Surgeons,
Baltimore, Mai7land, in April, 1893. In May of that year he located at Osceola,
where he has gradually built up a good practice, and has secured the confidence and
esteem of the community. Dr. Clark was married October 17, 1894, to Bertha May
Duley, a daughter of John G. and Alice (Ives) Duley, of Osceola. He is a member
of the P. & A. M., and in politics, a Eepublican.

Lewis J. Claek was bom at Scio, Allegany coimty. New York, July 10, 1867,
and is a son of John and Sarah (Eussell) Clark. His maternal grand-
parents, Hamilton and Sarah (Van Zile) Eussell, were pioneers of Osceola,
Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where his grandfather was a miller and merchant,
and died in that place. Lewis J. was reared in his native county, and began his
business life clerking in a general store at Allentown, New York, in which capacity
he served one year. He then learned telegraphy and was an operator on the Brad-
ford, Eldred and Cuba railroad, and also carried on a variety store at Allentown f our
years. For a short time he was employed as a traveling salesman, and for two yeai's
was a band leader and director of music in Allegany county. New York, and Potter



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. §67



county, Pennsylvania. In the spring of 1895 he opened a grocery and variety store
at Osceola, Tioga county, and has since built up a good trade. On .February 30,
1895, he married Euth, a daughter of 0. B. and Mary Van Velzor, of "Wirt Centre,
Allegany county. New York. In politics, he is a Populist, and is a member of the
I. 0. 0. P., the Jr. 0. U. A. M., the Knights of St. John and Malta, and the College
of Ancients.

W. Eensselaek Colvin was born in WoodhuU, Steuben county, New York,
May 39, IS'^O, a son of DeLaneey and Mary (Brooks) Colvih. He was educated at
"WoodhuU Union school, where he graduated in 1889. Mr. Colvin began life as
a merchant, which he continued five years, and subsequently was a buyer of live
stock for the New York markets. In. the fall of 1894 he embarked in the hotel
business "at Osceola, where he has since conducted one of the best hotels in Tioga
county, known as the Osceola Hotel. On December 34, 1890, he married Cora
"Wildrick, a daughter of "William and Susannah (Tubbs) "Wildrick, of "Woodhull,
New York, who died November 15, 1896. Mr. Colvin is a member of the K. 0. T.
M.., and in politics, an adherent of the Eepublican party.



CHAPTEE LXI.

BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES.
Deeepield Township and Knoxville Borough— Westfield Township and

BOEOUGH— BrOOKFIELD TOWNSHIP.



"William Knox, formerly a resident of the Mohawk valley, New York, settled
in what is now Deerfield township, Tiog'a county, Pennsylvania, in 1798, on the
lands now owned by William J., George W. and John "W. Knox. "With the assist-
ance of his sons, he cleared and improved a farm here, upon which he resided until
his death. His wife was Margaret Colton, and their children were as follows:
John, William, Archibald, James, Colton, Betsey, who married Charles Carpenter,
and Dolly, who married -John E. "White. Mr. Knox died in the prime of life, but
left numerous descendants to perpetuate his name and revere his memory.

James Knox, son of William Knox, was the first white male child bom in what
is now Deerfield toivnship, Tioga county, his birth occurring March 38, 1800. He
spent his whole life in Deerfield, was an extensive land owner and a prominent
farmer. The homestead farm is now owned and occupied by his sons, Minzo W. and
Aaron. The house built by Mr. Knox in 1836, is now the home of the former.
He married Ann Faulkner, a daughter of Joseph Faulkner, of Deerfield, and their



868 HISTOHY OF TIOGA COUNTY.



children are as follows: Archibald D., Franklin W., Harriet, wife of Peter Bosard;
Eleanor, Angeline, wife of John Husted; Aaron, and Minzo W. Mr. Knox died
September 20, 1881, in his eighty-second year.

Aechibald D. Knox, eldest son of James Knox, was born in Deerfield town-
ship, Tioga county, October 3, 1821, was reared upon the homestead farm, and
cleared a portion of the farm now owned by his son, Edward L., as well as that
owned by his son, George H., settling on the latter in 1852. He was twice mar-
ried. His first wife was Abigail Ann Eushmore, a daughter of Peter and Millie
Eushmore, of Clymer township, Tioga county, who bore him one daughter, Mary,
wife of F. V. Balch. His second wife was Julia A. White, a native of Erie coimty,
New York, and a daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth (Horton) AVhite. Seven chil-
dren were born to this union, five of whom grew to maturity, viz: Abbie C!, wife of
E. A. Bean; Helen A., wife of Linden Case; Laura M., wife of J. C. White; Edward
L. and George H. Mr. Knox died Jime 25, 1892. He was a Eepublican, in poli-
tics, was superintendent of the Tioga county poor house for one year, and was a
well-known, representative farmer.

Edwaed L. Knox, son of Archibald D. and Julia A. (White) Knox, was bom
in Deerfield t-ownship, Tioga county, July 4, 1855. He was reared in this county,
and received his education in the common schools and "Qnion Academy. Farming
has been his life vocation, and since 1877, with the exception of two years, he has
lived on his present farm in Deerfield township. In September, 1878, he married
Mary Vredenburg, a daughter of George and Malinda (Leinaburg) Vredenburg, of
Knoxville. Three children were born to this union, all of whom are dead. Mr.
Knox is a member of the P. of H., and in politics, a Eepublican.

Geohge H. Knox, son of Archibald D. and Julia A. ("RTiite) Knox, was born
in Knoxville, Tioga county, April 8, 1860. He was educated in the common
schools and at Williamsport Commercial College, and since attaining his majority
he has been engaged in farming the old homestead. Mr. Knox was married April
25, 1883, to Carrie A. Everitt, a daughter of Noah and Catherine (Winfield) Everitt,
of Deerfield township, and has two children, C. LaEue and Lulu B. In politics, he
is a Eepublican, has served two terms as school director, and three terms as auditor
of the township. He is also a member of the Grange.

Ebenezeh Seelye was born in Connecticut, and served throughout the Eevo-
lutionary War in Sheldon's Light Horse, a Connecticut company, a portion of the
time under Washington. He was married in Connecticut to Mehetabel Todd, and
later removed with lus family to Lindley, Steuben coimty. New York, where he
improved a large tract of land. In March, 1799, they removed from New York
to what is now DeerBeld township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and settled imme-
diately east of Academy Corners. Here Mr. Seelye erected a saw-mill in 1810, one
of the first in the Cowanesque valley. He died June 23, 1837, in the eighty-second
year of his age. His wife died May 27, 1839, in her eighty-third year. Their children
were as follows: Mehetabel, Anna, Lucina, Laura, Julius, Elanson, Harvey Eleazer
and Sally, who was born May 4, 1800— the first female child bom in Deerfield
township-and married Prince King. Mr. Seelye was a Quaker in religion, an
upnght man, and a good neighbor and citizen. Many of his descendants are among
the leading people of Tioga county.



BI06HAPHICAL SKETCHES.



Elanson Seelte was born in Connecticut, and married Mercy Howland, a
native of Ehode Island, and one of the early teachers of Tioga county. Her par-
ents, John and Lois (Eddy) Howland, came with their son, Dr. Eddy Howland, to
Deerfield township in 1803. To Elanson and Mercy Seelye were bom fourteen
children, as follows: "Willard, Ebenezer, John, Mercy, Hulda, Lois, David, Eddy,
Chloe, Susan, Eoby, Elanson, Malvin and Franklin. Of these Eddy, Elanson, Mal-
vin, Lois and Eoby survive. Mr. Seelye died on the old homestead in Deerfield,
December 29, 1866, in his seventy-fourth year. His wife died November 35, 1867,
in the seventy-fifth year of her age. Like his father, Mr. Seelye was a stanch Demo-
crat, was an adherent of the Quaker faith, and an honored and respected citizen.

De. Eddy Howland was a son of John Howland, a descendant of John How-
land, one of three brothers who came to America in the Mayflower in 1620. The
Doctor and his father were among the pioneers of Tioga county, Pennsylvania,
locating in what is now Deerfield township in 1803. His father is said to have
raised the first tobacco in the Cowanesque valley. Dr. Howland took up a large
tract of land, a pajt of which is still owned by his descendants, which he cleared
and improved with the assistance of his sons. He erected a saw-mill in 1804, estab-
lished a store in 1814, and built a cider-mill in 1817. He spent the remaining
years of his life upon the old homestead, and at his death was buried thereon. He
married Molly Parker, a native of Massachusetts, and their children were as fol-
lows: Eoby, who married Benjamin Smith; Eeuben, Eunice, second wife of Ben-
jamin Smith; John, Joseph, Polly, Eddy, Prince, and Olive, who married Charles
Hackett.

Eddy Howland, son of Dr. Eddy Howland, was born on the old homestead in
Deerfield township, Tioga county, March 12, 1808, and resided there until his
death, October 23, 1893. He married Charlotte Eexford, a daughter of Dr. John
Eexford, of Troupsburg, New York, August 5, 1832, and reared a family of three
children, viz: Harriet, wife of Nelson Eay; Charles E., and Maria, wife of William
Wagner. Of Quaker ancestry, Mr. Howland always lived up to that creed, and
was an estimable and worthy citizen. In polities, he was a Democrat, held the of&ce
of commissioner of Tioga county two terms, and for many years was a justice of the
peace. It is said that none of his decisions were ever reversed by a higher court.

Chakles E. Howland, son of Eddy Howland, was bom on the old homestead
in Deerfield township, Tioga county, August 5, 1836, and obtained his education
in the common schools and Union Academy. Farming has been his principal
occupation since early manhood, though for fourteen years he followed merchan-
dising at Academy Comers, and has also been extensively engaged in shipping
baled hay to eastern markets, having shipped as many as 333 carloads in one winter
to one man, besides other large shipm.ents. On October 16, 1859, Mr. Howland
married Elizabeth Smith, a daughter of Henry and Phoebe (Cook) Smith, of Nelson
township, and has three sons: Eay, Harry and Arthur. In politics, he is an ardent
Democrat, has filled various local oflices, and was postmaster at Academy Corners one
term. Mr. Howland is the owner of two fine farms in Deerfield township, and
is one of the progressive farmers of the county.

Emhee Bowen, Se., a son of Ezra Bowen, and a native of Massachusetts, came



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 117 of 163)