Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 118 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 118 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1804, and settled in Deerfield township, where



870 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

he cleared and improTed what is known as the old Bowen homestead. Here he
resided until his death, May 3, 1841, aged seventy-one years. His wife, Huldah
Howland, was a direct descendant of John Howland, who came to America in the
Mayflower. She died July 9, 1847, aged seventy-two years. Their children were
as follows: Lois, who married Elisha Train; Orpha, who married Gamer Monroe;
Cynthia, who married Abram Pease; Samuel, who married Polly Cook; Miriam,
who married Ashbel Monroe; Otis D., who m.arried Melinda Luce; Benjamin S.,
who married Hannah Whitaker; Susannah, who married Theodore Doty; Bmmer,
who married Nancy A. Clark; Patience, who married Leonard Daniels, and Huldah,
who became the wife of Oliver Pease. All the children are dead. The grand-
children of Emmer Bowen, Sr., number over 100, while his descendants by inter-
marriage are far more numerous. Mr. Bowen was a Quaker, in religion, and a man
of strong character and strict integrity.

Emmee Bowen was bom on the old homestead in Deerfield township, Tioga
county, May 37, 1815, a son of Emmer and Huldah Bowen. He was reared midst
scenes of pioneer life, and attended the common school of his district. He re-
mained on the old farm up to 1880, when he removed to the home of his son, Enoch
E., where he resided until his death, February 7, 1896, at the ripe age of nearly
eighty-one years. On December 13, 1837, he married jSTaney A. Clark, a daughter
of Eleazer and Abigail (Armstrong) Clark, of Deerfield township. She was born
in Eliode Island, in 1815, and bore him iovac children, two of whom grew to maturity,
viz: Enoch E., deceased, and Abbie C, wife of Henry E. Hayes, of Brooklyn, New
York. The widow lived with her son, Enoch E., in Deerfield township, until his
death. In 1840 Mr. Bowen and his brother, Benjamin, in company with a few
capitalists, built a large woolen factory in Deerfield township, of which they soon
afterwards became sole proprietors. They carried on the business successfully
imtil 1847, when the plant was burned. With characteristic enterprise they imme-
diately rebuilt the mill and continued the business until January, 1863, when it
was purchased by the late Joseph Ingham, and is now operated by J. S. Ingham &
Sons. Throughout this period Mr. Bowen was also engaged in lumbering and
farming. He was a man of strong convictions and inflexible principles, thoroughly
unselfish, and possessing unbounded faith and confidence in his fellowmen. °He
was one of the best known and most highly respected citizens of the community in
which his entire life was passed, and his jovial manners and lovable traits ca^ed
him to be widely known by the title of "Uncle Emmer." Mr. Bowen was for maav
years a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and a pioneer in the F & A
M. and the I. 0. 0. P. societies. In poHties, he was originally a Whig, and a Ee-
pubJican from the birth of that party.

Enoch E. Bowen, son of Emmer and Nancy A. Bowen, was bom in Deerfield
township, Tioga county, October 6, 1838, there grew to manhood, and spent his
entire life near the place of his birth. He lived on the old homestead up to 1880,
when he purchased a farm in the same township, on which he died, April 17 1896
Mr. Bowen was married to Addie Guinnip, a daughter of E. H. and Adeline (Canan)
Gumnip, of Elmira, May 7, 1874. Politically, he was an ardent Eepublican. He
was a quiet, unpretentious man, a good neighbor, and an afEectionate son

Benjamin S. Bowen, a son of Emmer Bowen, Sr., was bom in Deerfield town-



BIOGBAPHIOAL SKETCHES. 871



ship, Tioga county, in 1807, and spent his entire life on the old homestead. He
maxried Hannah C, a daughter of Jabez B. and Thankful (Champlin) Whitaker,
who came from Ehode Island. Mrs. Bowen's brother, John C. Whitalcer, was a
leading physician, of Tioga county, and also filled the office of associate jiidge. She
became the mother of ten children, viz: lisura, who married J. D. Eay; John,
Samuel B., Mary, who married J. W. Allen; George C, Benjamin F., Sarah M., wife
of Dr. A. J. Heggie; Emmer H., Ezra E. and William H. Mr. Bowen died in 1889,
aged eighty-two years. From early manhood he was a member of the Free Baptist
church, and in politics, a Eepublican.

Geoege C. Bowen, son of Benjamin S. and Hannah C. Bowen, was bom in
Deerfield township, Tioga county, November 11, 1838, and was reared in his native
township. He was educated in the common schools and at Union Academy, them
under the charge of Samuel B. Price, its founder. In 1859 he commenced clerk-
ing, and followed that vocation until 1874. Politically, he has always been a Ee-
publican. In the winter of 1874-75, he was doorkeeper of the Senate at Harris-
burg. In 1875 he was elected register and recorder of Tioga county, and was
re-elected three times in succession, filling the oilice four terms. During President
Harrison's administration, he was private secretary for the Commissioner of Cus-
toms two years, at Washington, D. 0. Since 1893 he has made his home in Elmira,
New York, and is at present a commercial traveler. In 1860, Mr. Bowen married
Hannah P. Stebbins, a daughter of Ebenezer and Hannah (Pierce) Stebbins, of
Jamestown, New York, and has three children: Charles E., Martha S., wife of G.
J. Stewart, and Anna P. Mr. Bowen is a member of the I. 0. 0. P.,and the K.
of H.

^ John Goodspeed, Se., was bom in Vermont, in 1801, a son of Cornelius and
Phoebe Goodspeed, and grandson of Anthony and Abigail Goodspeed. In 1813
the family came to Knoxville, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where the parents spent
the remaining years of their lives. John grew to manhood amidst the scenes of
pioneer days and acquired a good education for that period. He taught school
and also followed surveying, being employed by the Bingham estate as one of their
land agents and surveyors up to 1836. In that capacity he became widely known
throughout the Cowanesque valley. About this time he engaged in merchandising
at Knoxville, which business he followed many years, and also dealt quite extensively
in lumber. His long residence in Knoxville and his business enterprise entitles
him to recognition as one of its leading pioneers. Mr. Goodspeed died in that town,
August 26, 1864, in tlie sixty-fourth year of his age. His wife, Orril( Scott) Good-
speed, a daughter of Luke Scott, survived him one year, dying August 13, 1865, in
the sixty-seventh year of her age. They were the parents of seven children, named
as follows: Francis, John, Charles, Emily, Samuel, Charlotte and James.

John Goodspeed, Je., was bom in Knoxville, Tioga county, November 15,
1832, second son of John Goodspeed, Sr. He was reared in his native town and
there engaged in the mercantile business, which he followed until his removal to Sa-
binsville, where he died August 33, 1895. He married Melissa A. Phillips, a native
of Shippen township, Tioga county. She was bom June 31, 1828, a daughter of
Eiehard and Amity Phillips, a grand-daughter of Sylvester and Eachel Phillips, and
great-grand-daughter of Eiehard and Mercy Phillips, and died in Sabinsville, Janu-



872 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.



ary 5, 1894. They were the paients of four children, viz: John Francis, James
C, Mary and Ella.

JoHK P. GooDSPBED was bom in Westfield, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, De-
cember 8, 1854, and is the eldest son of John ajid Melissa A. (Phillips) Goodspeed.
He was reared in Deerfield township, and educated in the piiblic schools of KnoxviUe,
Pennsylvania, and Elmira, New York. For two years he was engaged in the grocery
trade at KnoxviUe, and in 1884 located at Sabinsville, where for ten years he was
manager of a general store. In 1894 he embarked in the grocery, and hoot and
shoe business at Sabinsville, which he continued up to the spring of 1896. In
politics, he is a Eepublican, and has filled the office of treasurer of Clymer town-
ship since 1891. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and also of
the K. of H. Mr. Goodspeed wa^ married January 30, 1877, to Ida Johnson, a
daughter of Joel and Caroline (Ives) Johnson, of KnoxviUe. They are the parents
of three chUdren, named as follows: Leon F., Charles L. and James G.

James C. Goodspeed, now a prominent insurance man of Eochester, New
York, was bom in Deerfield township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, November 3,
1858, the second son of John and MeUssa A. (PhiUips) Goodspeed, and is a de-
scendant of one of the oldest families of the county. He was reared in Deerfield,
attended the public schools of that township, and later the Elmira Academy, and
graduated from Warner's Business College, Elmira, New York, in the class of 1879.
In 1881 he embaxked in the general insurance business at KnoxviUe, which he
successfully prosecuted here in connection with dealing in real estate, until his re-
moval to Eochester, New York. Mr. Goodspeed was married December 15, 1880,
to Gertrude CrandaU, a daughter of Silas G. and Mary (AVeeks) Crandall, of Nelson
township, Tioga county. They are the parents of seven children, viz: Mary M.,
Eva G., Helen C, Grace, Gertrude, Irving and Jeannie S. In politics, Mr. Good-
speed is a Democrat, and has filled several local offices in KnoxviUe. He is a E.
A. M. in the Masonic order, also a K. T. of Tyagaghton Commandery.

Chaeles Caepentee, a native of New England, was one of the first settlers
of the Cowanesque valley. He located on the site of Osceola, but a few years later
removed to Deerfield township and settled on the farm now occupied by the widow
of Lorentes Carpenter, which he partially cleared and improved. He died upon
that farm, as did also his parents, who came with him to Tioga coomty. His wife
was Lucy Darling, and they had a family of six children, viz: James, Abijah,
Charles, Sylvia, who married N. P. Eobinson; Lyman, and Samuel.

Lyman Caepentee, a sou of Charles Carpenter, was born May 5, 1796, and
was reai-ed to manhood in Deerfield township. After his father's death, he suc-
ceeded to the homestead farm, but later in life sold it and moved to Brookfield
township and thence to Farmington, where he died February 19, 1873. He was
twice married. His first wife was Almira Cook, a daughter of Levi and Elizabeth
(Calkins) Cook, who bore him a family of twelve children, as follows: EHzabeth,
who married Curtis Tifl;any; Lorentes, Arthxir, Polly, whose first husband was
Eldridge Eathbone, and second husband John Casner; Levi, Celestia, who married
Caleb Stadon; Sylvia, who married Charles Cronrath; Charles, Valores B., Maxey
B., Samantha, who first married Wallace Green and afterwards Normaji Bovee,
and George B. Mr. Carpenter's second wile was Mrs. Alta Elwood.



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 873



LoEBNTES Caepentee, eldest son of Lyman and Almira Carpenter, was bom
in Deerfield township, Tioga county, April 4, 1823. He was reared on the homestead,
and during the sixties located on the farm now the home of his son, Willard S.,
where he resided six years. Pie then purchased the Carpenter homestead, and lived
there until his death, October 7, 1893. He married Lois Seelye, a daughter of Elan-
son and Mercy (Howlaaid) Seelye, May 14, 1846. On the paternal side, she was a
grand-daughter of Ebenezer and Mahetabel (Todd) Seelye, and on the maternal side,
of John and Lois (Eddy) Howland, all pioneers of Tioga county. She bore him the
following children: Mercy S., deceased; Willard S., A. Delphine, who married
Ephraim Shaut; Delia, who married Grant Seely; Hattie, Belle, widow of C. Ells-
worth Clark; Clara, deceased wife of John Northrop; Frank, and Frances, twins.
Frank married Mamie Harrison, and Frances is dead. Mr. Carpenter was a mem-
ber of the Free Will Baptist church, and in politics, a Democrat. His widow lives
on the old homestead.

WiLLAED S. Caepentee, eldest son of Lorentes Carpenter, was born in Deer-
field township, Tioga county, Xovember 24, 1848. He was reared upon the home-
stead farm, and obtained his education in the public schools and Union Academy.
He has spent his entire life in Deerfield township, and has resided upon his present
farm of 225 acres since 1886, sixty acres of which he cleared. Mr. Carpenter was
married May 14, 1873, to Emma Daniels, a daughter of Henry F. ajid Esther
(Close) Daniels, of Deerfield township, who has had four children, viz: Leah, wife
of Frank J. Doan; Fred L., Ada E., and Walter L., deceased. In polities, he is
a Democrat, and in religion, a member of the Baptist church. He is one of the
representative farmers of Deerfield township, as well as a descendant of two of the
oldest families of Tioga county.

Eleazee Claek was bom in Burrellsville, Ehode Island, October 6, 1788, a
son of Capt. Eleazer and Pmdence Clark. His father was a farmer and cooper, was
captain of a company during the Eevolution, and lived and died in Rhode Island.
Our subject was reared in that State, was a cooper by trade, and came to Deerfield
township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, about 1817, locating on the farm now owned
and occupied by his son, Elias H. It embraces 200 acres, which he cleared and
improved. He followed his trade in connection with agriculture for upwards of
forty years, and was regarded as the best mechanic in his line for miles around.
Mr. Clark was twice married. His first wife was Abigail Armstrong, of Rhode
Island, who became the mother of five children, viz: Nancy, who married Emmer
Bowen; Roswell, William, Eleazer, and Abigail, who married Enoch Steere. His
second wife of Rosamond Salisbury, a daughter of John Salisbury, of Elkland,
Tioga county. Five children were bom to this union, viz: Erastus, George W.,
Sarah J., wife of Franklin Fairchilds; Elias H. and Susan H. Mr. Clark died on
the old homestead in Deerfield township, October 7, 1863, being one day over
seventy-four years old. He was an enterprising and progressive farmer, a good
citizen and kind neighbor. In politics, he was a Democrat, and always took a com-
mendable interest in public affairs.

Elias H. Claek, youngest son of Eleazer and Rosamond Clark, was bom on
the old homestead in Deerfield township, Tioga county, April 38, 1836, and ob-
tained his education in the common schools and Union Academy. He has spent



874 HISTOBT OF TIOGA COITNTY.



his entire life upon the old homestead, which he inherited from his father. He
has been an extensive tobacco grower since 1882, and is a breeder of Holstein cattle,
and has been a breeder of Hambletonian and Pereheron horses. Mr. Clark was mar-
ried May 11, 1862, to Marietta Close, a daughter of David and Maria (Sweet) Close,
of Westfield, Tioga county. Six children have blessed this union, viz: Byron L.,
Cecil A., Eosamond M., Clare E. and Horton E. In politics, Mr. Clark is a Ke-
publican, is connected with the E. A. U., and is recognized as a progressive and
enterprising farmer.

Cecil A. Clakk, son of Elias H. and Marietta (Close) Clark, was bom on the
old Clark homestead in Deerfield township, Tioga county, February 13, 1864, where
he also grew to manhood. He was educated at the Osceola High School, and since
attaining his majority has been engaged in farming. In 1884 he removed to Brook-
field township, remaining there until 1894, when he located in Westfield town-
ship, where he has since been engaged in farming, making a specialty of raising
potatoes and buying and selling stock. Mr. Clark was married December 21, 1885,
to Ida Grist, a daughter of Chester and Amanda (Bowman) Grist, of Athens, Penn-
sylvania, and has four children, viz: EarlE., Marietta, Ivan L., and Manning.
In politics, he is a Eepublican; is a member of the F. & A. M., and the I. 0. 0. F.,
and is one of the successful farmers of the township.

C. Elswobth Claek was bom in Osceola, Tioga county, August 25, 1861,
a son of Eleazer and Julia (Johnson) Clark, of Steuben county, ISTew York. His
father was a native of Tioga county, Pennsylvania, a son of Eleazer Clark, Sr.
Elsworth was educated in Osceola and at the business college in Elmira, New York,
graduating in both places. He later took charge of the old Clark homestead in
Steuben county, and afterwards of the old Carpenter homestead in Tioga county,
and was a thrifty, prosperous farmer. He married Belle Carpenter, a daughter
of Lorentes and Lois Carpenter, who survives him. Mr. Clark died Ifovember
29, 1893, leaving two children, Clarence E. and Loren C.

Joseph Falkneh, Sb., a native of New York state, was one of the early settlers
of Deerfield township, Tioga county, where he cleared and improved a farm now
the home of the widow of his sons, William and Joseph. Here he died in 1838
He married Phoebe Monroe, and reared a laxge family, eight of whom grew to
maturity. William served in the Civil War and died in a hospital at Washington,
D. C, June 21, 1864; Margaret, married William Hoskins; Levi, died in Knox-
ville; Elizabeth, married Silas Finch; Mary J., married John Cook; Lucinda, mar-
ried Smith Cornell; Joseph, died in Deerfield township, and Phoebe, married Miles
Finch.

Joseph Falkneb, Jb., was bom on the old homestead in Deerfield township,
Tioga county, April 25, 1829, and spent the greater portion of his life thereon,
making farming his vocation. On June 29, 1865, he married Mrs. Eleanor Fdk-
ner, widow of his brother, WilUam, and daughter of William and Polly (Humphrev)
Wass, pioneers of Chatham township. Mrs. Falkner was born near Elmira New
York, but was reared in Chatham township, Tioga county. She was married at
her father's home to William Falkner, after whose death she became the wife of his
brother, Joseph, who died March 16, 1895. In politics, Mr. Falkner was a
Democrat.



BIOGKAPHICAL SKETCHES. 875



Levi Faulkner was born in Deerfield township. Tioga county, Pennsylvania,
!N'ovember 21, 1814, and died at Knoxville, January 30, 1889, in the seventy-fifth
year of his age. He was a son of Joseph and Phoebe (Monroe) Faulkner, of New
York, who were among the early settlers of Tioga county. He was reared in Deer-
field, and after his parents' death had charge of the homestead farm until his mar-
riage, when he started out in life for himself, settling on a farm immediately east
of Knoxville, which is yet in possession of his widow. Mr. Faulkner was twice
married. His first wife was Polly Butler, of Otsego county, New York. She
•died September 1, 1863, in her fiftieth year. In September, 1864, he married
Miss Sarah A. Dearman, a daughter of George and Olive (Beach) Dearman, and
sister of Albert and Justus Dearman, a sketch of whom appears in this chapter.
She is the mother of two children: Mary L., and Wilson, the latter of whom died
in infancy. Mrs. Faulkner resides in Knoxville. Mr. Faulkner dealt quite ex-
tensively in live stock, was a careful, honest business man, and was respected most
by those who knew him best.

Silas Billings took a conspiciious part in the lumbering business on the
Cowanesque river and Pine creek in early days, and for many years was one of the
leading operators in this section of the State. He was bom in Amherst, Massa-
chusetts, May 23, 1790, and in 1820 settled on Seely creek, in Southport township,
Chemung county. New York, where he operated a linseed oil and wool-carding
mill. In 1822 he sold his factory and removed to Knoxville, Tioga county, Penn-
sylvania, purchasing large tracts of timber lands on the Cowanesque. Here he
built an extensive pearl ashery in 1823, and the same year he and his brother-in-
law. Col. Hiram Freeborn, erected a distillery, which business he carried on several
years. He also opened a store in the village and was the leading merchant of
Knoxville for a long period. In 1824 he erected a linseed-oil mill, and the follow-
ing year a ,giist-mill; operated several saw-mills and a tannery at different periods,
and conducted a hotel for the accommodation of travelers from 1836 to 1840, thus
setting an example of business enterprise to the people of the valley. During this
period he made extensive purchases of timber lands on Pine creek, operated saw-nulls
in what is now Gaines township, and rafted the luraber down Pine creek to Har-
risburg and other southern markets. Mr. Billings was one of the most prompt
and reliable lumbermen that did business on the Susquehanna in those days. In
many respects he was quite eccentric, but wa.s frank, outspoken and scrupulously
honest. When he came into Tioga county the forest along Pine creek was almost
unbroken, and no man of his day in the county made a better record in the de-
velopment of its great lumber interests. For seventeen years he labored in the
mill, in the woods and on the river, getting his lumber and timber to market. In
1840 he removed from Knoxville to Elmira, New York, and purchased the first
brick building erected in that city, in which he lived the remaining years of his
life, dying August 28, 1853, in his sixty-fourth year. While residing in Elmira
he still kept an eye on his business affairs in Tioga county, and after recuperating
his broken health, he returned occasionally to Gaines township, where his sons,
Silas X. and Charles F., and son-in-laAv, P. S. S. McNeil, were living, and prose-
cuted his business with increased vigor up to the time of his death. Mr. Billings
was married four times. His first wife was Lauriette Freeborn, a daughter of



876 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.



David Freeborn, of Cazenovia, Madison county. New York. She died in Cazenovia,
leaving three children, viz: Lauriette, David and Nancy. His second wife was
Abby Freeborn, his first wife's sister, who became the mother of Silas X., Abbie
B., widow of P. S. S. McNeil, who lives in Elmira, and Charles F., a resident of the
same city. Mrs. Billings died at Ivnoxville, February 16, 1831, and he was again
married to Eosette Chapman, who bore him one daughter, Mary, now the widow
of John Dexter. His last wife was Eachel Sloan, a native of Philadelphia, who
survived her husband three years.

Silas X. Billings, for many years one of the most prominent and successful
citizens of Tioga county, was bom in Knoxville, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, Feb-
ruary 2, 1836, a son of Silas and Abby (Freeborn) Billings. His father was an
extensive lumberman on the Cowanesque river and Pine creek, and Silas X. thus
became acquainted with the details of the lumber business. In 1840 his father
removed to Elmira, New York, where our subject acquired a good English educa-
tion in the Elmira Academy. In 1847 he was sent to take charge of the timber
lands owned by his father in Gaines and Elk townships, located on Pine creek, and
Cedar and Slate runs. Here a steam saw-mill was erected under the management
of Mr. Billings aad P. S. S. McNeil. In 1853 his father died, and Silas X. was
appointed one of the administrators to settle the estate, which he successfully car-
ried out at the end of two years, taking his own share of the estate in wild lands in
Tioga county. In 1855 he located permanently at Gaines, where he continued to
reside until his death. January 5, 1865, he married Miss Sarah M. Locke, a daugh-
ter of Jesse and Lura Locke, who survives him, and now resides in Wellsboro.
Mr. Billings was a man of great energy, methodical business habits, and unsullied
integrity. He purchased large tracts of coal and timber lands, erected mills,
stores, tanneries and hotels, and was eminently successful in all his undertakings.
Tie was prominently associated with the early struggles to obtain and keep alive
the charter for the Jersey Shore, Pine Creek and Buffalo railroad (now the Pine
Creek), which in the face of great opposition succeeded, though he did not live
to see the road built. A few months before his death, he was prevailed upon
by his friends to seek medical relief and repose, and went to New York City to
consult eminent physicians. On his return, while visiting his sister, Mrs. McNeil,
at Elmira, New York, he was stricken with an attack of Bright's disease, from
which, however, he rallied and returned to his home in Gaines. Some three' weeks
later he was again prostrated by the same insidious disease, and on the morning
of October 13, 1879, his spirit took its flight. His remains were interred in the
Wellsboro Cemetery, where a beautiful granite monument, erected by his loving
wife, marks his last resting place. Politically, he was a life-long Democrat but
aside from performing the duties of citizenship, took no active interest in public
affairs. Mr. Billings was a genial companion, a true and steadfast friend an
affectionate husband, generous and open hearted to the poor and suffering and
ever ready to give his encouragement and support to the upbuilding of the social



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 118 of 163)