Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 119 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 119 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

and material interests of his native county.

Chaelbs Febeboen Billings was born in the old Billings homestead at
Knoxville, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, erected by his father in 1823 and yet
standing m the western limits of the borough, Februarv 16, 1831, and is the young-


est son of Silas and Abby Billings. He spent his childhood in his native town.
and removed with his father to Elmira, New York, in 1840, where he attended
school until sixteen years of age. He then returned to Tioga county to assist his
brother, Silas X., in the lumber business established by their father, where his
delicate constitution rapidly improved, drinking in the pure air of the pine forest
and eating the homely fare of camp life. After becoming familiar with the lumber
business, he had charge of various departments, finally returning to Elmira and
spending two years at school. After his father's death he gave his attention to
the farming interests of the large estate, while his brother had charge of the lum-
ber business. In the winter of 1858 Mr. Billings met Miss Helena Sweet, fourth
daughter of Eev. Elisha Sweet, a Methodist Episcopal minister then laboring in
the circuit embracing Knoxville, and September 13, 1859, the young couple were
married and settled on a fine farm of 225 acres on Troup's creek, in Deerfield town-
ship, a short distance from Knoxville. Here they resided some twenty years, when
the death of his brother placed an estate of aboiit -10,000 acres of timber, coal and
farm lands, lying in Tioga and Potter counties, under his control, besides one-half
of the personal property. Eemoving to Elmira, he has since devoted his attention
principally to the management of the property which then came to himself and
sister, Mrs. McNeil. Mr. Billings has been identified with the development of his
native county since early manhood, and usually spends the summer months in
Ejioxville. He assisted in securing the construction of the Addison and Penn-
sylvania railroad, which has proven a great benefit to the Cowanesque valley and
the vast lumbering and coal interests of western Tioga. Mr. and Mrs. Billings
are the parents of four daughters, viz: Carrie, wife of Preston Gilbert, of New
York City; Jessie, wife of Willis Beach, of Knoxville; Abbie, wife of Horace
Brewster, of Elmira, and Louise, Avife of Edward T. Youmans, a resident of the
same city. Politically, Mr. Billings voted with the Eepublican party until after
the presidential election of 1876, when believing that Samuel J. Tilden was the
legally-elected president of the United States, and was defrauded out of the office
by the Eepublican leaders, he left that party and has since been an independent
voter, though he generally supports the Democracy on state and national issues.
Possessing large means, he gives liberally to religious, charitable and educational
objects. The Billings Park at Knoxville is one of his gifts to the people of his
native village.

Col. Hibam FKEEBOHiir was born in Cazenovia, New York, in 1799, a son of
David Freeborn, and there grew to manhood. He came to Tioga county in 1832
with Silas Billings, his brother-in-law, and located at Knoxville, where he became
a partner of Mr. Billings in a distillery, which he subsequently carried on by him-
self for many years. He also engaged in farming, clearing up the land now occu-
pied by his son, D. L., upon which he lived and died. He married Cynthia Lorinda
Thompson, a daughter of Joseph Thompson, and a native of Otsego county. New
York. To this union were bom three children, viz: Levantia W., who married
Levi B. Eeynolds; DeLancy, of Knoxville, and Viola, who maxried William Mead.
Colonel Freeborn held various township offices, and was prominent in the militia
during the early years of the county's history. He was a Democrat until the
breaking out of the war, when he became a Eepublican. In religion, he was a


member of the Congregational church, and died in that faith in 1889, in the nine-
tieth year of his age. Throughout the greater portion of his residence in Knoxville,
Colonel Freeborn was one of its prominent and influential citizens, and his name
is closely interwoven with the history of the tcyn.

Leti B. Ebynolds was a native of Ehode Island, and a son of William and
Lydia (Church) Eeynolds, of that State. When Levi B. was about seven years old
his parents removed to Spring Mills, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, where he
grew to manhood and learned the mercantile business with Judge Gaylord Colvin.
He later became a merchant at Bums, Few York, in partnership with Ira Daven-
port, of Bath, who furnished the capital against young Eeynolds' business experi-
ence. In 1847 the firm located in Knoxville, Tioga county, where the business
was continued, under the firm name of Levi B. Eeynolds, in a store building owned
by his father-in-law. Col. Hiram Freeborn. After his marriage to Levantia W.
Freeborn, Mr. Eeynolds bought his partner's interest and continued the business
up to 1870. In that year he removed to Wellsboro, where he followed merchan-
dising until 1874, when his store was destroyed by fire. Eeturning to Knoxville
he again embarked in merchandising, which he carried on until he was succeeded
by his son, William D., and his son-in-law, H. T. Gilbert. He then devoted his
attention to his real estate interests until his death, October 31, 1891, aged seventy-
two years. Mr. Eeynolds was a careful and honest business man, and highly
respected for his many sterling qualities. He was a member of the Presbyterian
church, and also of the I. 0. 0. F. and E. A. U. societies. He filled the office of
postmaster at Knoxville, as well as other local positions. His widow and three
children survive him, viz: Mrs. Ella C. Gilbert and William D., both residents of
Ehnira, ISTew York, and Mrs. Effie L. Beach, of Knoxville.

HiEAM Gilbert was born in JS'ew England, March 6, 1796, and came to Deer-
field township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1824, where he worked at the car-
penter's trade. He later engaged in the boot and shoe business at Knoxville, which
he carried on there upwards of thirty years. He then purchased a couple of farms
m Deerfield township, now owned and occupied by his sons, Wallace and George, and
died on that occupied by the former, June 10, 1871, in his seventy-sixth year His
wife was Eunice Powers, of Cuba, New York, who bore him six children, as follows:
Wallace, Mortimer, George, Eleanor, Truman and Emmett.

Geoege Gilbert, third son of Hiram Gilbert, was bom in Knoxville Tioga
county, June 27, 1829, there grew to manhood, and was educated in the public
schools and at Union Academy. Soon after attaining his majority, he engaged in
farmmg m Deerfield township, which vocation he has since continued and for
twenty-five years he also followed cattle droving. During the Eebellion, he en-
hsted m Company G, Thirty-fifth Pennsylvania Militia, known as Emergency Men,
who were called out for the purpose of repelling Lee's invasion of Pennsylvania.
On October 3 1854, Mr. Gilbert married Emeline Butler, a daughter of John and
Anna (Guy) Butler, of Otsego county, Few York, and has three sons living: Prank
L., Eiigene and Jerome. Mr. Gilbert is a member of the E, A. U., and in politics, is
an adherent of the Eepubhcan party.

Frank L. Gilbert, eldest son of George Gilbert, was bom in Deerfield town-
ship, Tioga county, September 9, 1856. He was educated in the public schools


of Knoxville and at the State Normal School, Mansfield, aiter which he taught
for two terms. In 1877 he emharked in the drug business at Knoxville, in which
he has continued up to the present, being recognized to-day as the leading druggist
of the borough. Mr. Gilbert was married March 14, 1879, to Eva M. Buckbee, a
daughter of Daniel H. and Emeline (Hammond) Buckbee, of Knoxville. They are
the parents of three children: Maud, Dora and Arthur B. In politics, Mr. Gilbert
is a stanch Eepublican, and was postmaster of Knoxville for four years during
Harrison's administration. He is a member of the F. & A. M., and the I. 0. E. M.

John E. White was bom in "Wyndham county, Connecticut, May 26, 1809,
a son of Jeremiah and Sarah (Bottum) White. His father was bom in Connecticut,
June 8, 1780, and died December 18, 1866. He was married four times. His first
wife was Sarah Bottum, whom he married October 1, 1801. She was born November
18, 1776, and died August 21, 1813. Their children were Malinda, Joseph M.,
John E., Mary Ann and Sarah. His second wife was Elizabeth Bottum, who bore
him two children, Sumner P. and Sophronia. His third wife was Alice Hartson,
who became the mother of seven children, named as follows: George A., Freeman,
Earl A., Angeline, Sophronia, Charles and Henry. His fourth wife was Anna
Parkhnrst, to which union were born four children, viz: Lester, Eliza Ann, Sarah
A., and Lucian. John E. White came with his brother, Joseph M., to Nelson,
Tioga county, in 1831, where they worked at blacksmithing, which business they
had learned in Connecticut. In 1833 John E. removed to Knoxville, where he
continued working at his trade. His brother remained at Nelson, where he
afterwards filled the office of postmaster for many years. The subject of this sketch
was twice married. His first wife waS" Minerva C. Baker, a daughter of Abisha and
Martha (Lytle) Baker, of Nelson, Tioga county, whom he married September 23,
1832. She became the mother of three children, viz: Sumner P., Susan B. and
Malvina D., who married Enos Nichols. Mrs. Minerva C. White died June 18,
1849. On September 16, 1850, he married Dolly Knox, a daughter of William
Knox, who settled in Deerfield township, Tioga county, in 1798, and a sister of
John C. Knox, a distinguished jurist, at one time a judge of thei supreme court of
Pennsylvania. She died April 19, 1875. Four children were bom to this marriage,
viz: John C, James B., Newell K., and Emily K., wife of Richard Hill. Mr. White
was an ardent Republican, and filled the office of justice of the peace in Knoxville for
thirty-three years. He was a member of the Baptist church, also of the I. 0. 0. P.,
and is one of the well-remembered pioneers of the borough, where the greater por-
tion of his life was passed. He died in Knoxville, January 31, 1884.

JoHur C. White, son of John E. and Dolly (Knox) White, was bom in Knoxville,
Tioga county, October 11, 1851. He was reared in his native village, and obtained
his education in the public schools and Union Academy. On attaining his majority,
he followed the vocation of a painter and paper-hanger several years, and for nine
years was constable and collector of Knoxville. Since 1885 he has been the clerk
of the Adams House at Knoxville, and has been manager of the same since the fall
of 1893. Mr. White was married June 23, 1878, to Laura M. Knox, a daughter
of Archibald and Julia A. (White) Knox, of Deerfield township. Mrs. White was
bom in that township June 20, 1853, and has one son, J. Archie, bom September
3, 1887. Mr. White is a member of the F. & A. M., the K. of H., the K. & L. of H.,


and the I. F.A. In politics, he is a Kepublican, has been a member of the borough
council six years, and president of the board for two years.

Newell E. White, son of John E. and Dolly White, was born in Knoxville,
Tioga county. May 30, 1860. His education was acquired in the common schools
of his native town. Prom 1880 to 1884 he was in the employ of the Standard
Oil Company as a member of the pipe-line force. During the next three years he
was in the employ of the American House at Westfield. In 1890 he leased the
Park Hotel at Tioga and conducted that house for a year and a half. He then
located in Wellshoro and for four years was engaged in the manufacture of cider
and vinegar. Since September, 1895, he has been employed in the Coles House.
Mr. White was married March 2, 1889, to Margaret E. Lane, a daughter of Patrick
and Elizabeth Lane, of Westfield, and has three children, viz: William Francis,
John C, deceased, and Marguerite. In politics, Mr. White is a Democrat, and was
elected an inspector of election in Wellsboro in February, 1896. He is a member of
Tioga Lodge, No. 374, F. & A. M., Tioga, and of Wellsboro Lodge, No. 273, K. of P.

Daniel Angell was bom in the town of New Berlin, Chenango county. New
York, March 24, 1809, a son of Daniel and Cynthia (Burlingame) Angell. He was
reared in his native county, and learned the tanner's and shoemaker's trades. In
1842 he located in Nelson township, Tioga county, where he worked for Joel
Campbell two years. In 1844 he came to Knoxville, and the same year erected a
tannery, with which he was actively connected up to 1859, manufacturing mostly
finished leather in calf, kipp, upper and some sole leather. During this time he also
ran a shoe shop, and nearly all the leather made in the tannery was made up into
boots and shoes for the surrounding country, thus giving employment to a large
number of men. In 1859 he sold the tannery to A. D. Knox in exchange for a farm
about two miles west of Knoxville, where for the next twelve years, or until about
1871, he was actively engaged in farming and clearing land. In this line of work
he also gave employment to a number of men. In 1868 he again became the owner
of the tannery, which he thoroughly repaired, putting in steam power and many
modem improvements, and in addition to his farm business, he, in connection
with his sons, Delos D. and William Darius, carried on the tanning business until
the spring of 1872, when he sold the tannerj- to his son William Darius and the
balance of his property to other parties, and moved to Grafton, Fillmore county,
Nebraska, where he worked at farming until the spring of 1896, when he sold out
and returned to Knoxville, where he now resides. He w:as always one of the
leading business men of the commimity in which he lived. He married Mary A.
Tiffany, a daughter of Humphrey and Hannah (Mathewson) Tiffany, of Norwich,
New York. She bore him six children, viz: Daniel Delos, born March 15, 1839;
William D., September 14, 1844; Adelbert L., August 27, 1846; Orrin, October
30, 1848; Edward, May 18, 1854, who died December 4, 1890, and Albert, May 18,
1854, who died in childhood. Mrs. Angell died July 20, 1890. Mr. Angell is a
member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and in politics, a Eepublican.

William Daeiits Angell, second son of Daniel Angell, was born in Knox-
ville, Tioga county. Pa., September 14, 1844, and has spent his entire life in his
native place. He was educated in the common schools and at Union Academy,
and began his business career on a farm. He engaged in the tanning business in

A^cti^j^ C^%iA-^^-^p.^


1868, followed it for ten years, and then embarked in general merchandising, which
he still continues. Mr. Angdl was married December 34, 1865, to Jennie E. How-
land, a daughter of Willard and Minerva (Luce) Howland, of Deerfield township,
and has three living children, viz: Bertha M., born February 3, 1868, wife of George
H. Fowler; Ellen I., born February 6, 1870, and Euth M., June 18, 1878. Melvin
D., born October 8, 1874, died August 15, 1876. Mr. Angell is a member of the
E. A. U. and K. of H., and is an ardent supporter of the Democratic Free Silver

WiLLAED HowLAND was born in Exeter, New York, March 15, 1806, a son of
Willard and Polly (Munyan) Howland, and grandson of John Howland. His father
was an operator in the cotton mills of Webster, Massachusetts; a deacon in the Bap-
tist church, and reared a family of twenty children. The subject of this sketch
married Minerva Luce, a daughter of Jonathan and Mahetabel (Bates) Luce, and
in 1836 came to Tioga county and found employment in the woolen factory in
Deerfield township. He returned to Massachusetts twice, coming to this county
the last time in 1861, and dying September 18, 1889. His widow is still living at
the age of eighty-nine years. She is the mother of five children, named as follows:
Henry W., bom June 21, 1831; Erastus J., May 33, 1833; Mary M., May 8, 1835,
who died January 11, 1894; Melvin, February 9, 1838, and Jennie E., June 34,
1843, now the wife of W. D. Angell. Erastus J. went to Kansas in 1867, when
the free soil and pro-slavery trouble was the issue there, and was actively engaged
in it. His friends in the east had letters from him for some time afterward, when
they ceased, since which the most earnest efforts have failed to find any trace of
him. Melvin enlisted in the Fifteenth Volunteer Cavalry, July 13, 1861, in the
War of the Eebellion, and died in the hospital at Poolsville, Maryland, August 37,
1861, having been in the United States service only a little over a month. Henry
W. is now living in Camden, New Jersey, and is engaged in the mercantile business.
Geoege H. Fov7lee, son of Charles W. and Lucy A. (Harney) Fowler, was
born in Jacksonville, Tompkins county, New York, September 18, 1867. He re-
ceived a common school education; afterward studied pharmacy, and has since
followed the business of a druggist. He was married June 35, 1890, to Bertha M.,
eldest daughter of W. D. and Jennie E. Angell. They are the parents of one
daughter, Irma, born June 30, 1893. Mr. Fowler is a resident of Knoxville.

Albeet and Justus Deaeman, sons of George and Olive (Beach) Dearman,
were bom in Groton, Tomkins county. New York, the former October 13, 1834, and
the latter September 8, 1839. Their father was a son of George and Sally Dearman,
and was a skillful mechanic and an artist of considerable ability. He died in
Knoxville, December 7, 1867, aged sixty-nine years. He was a member of the
Baptist church, and a temperate, industrious, good citizen. His wife died August
13, 1833. They were the parents of four children, viz: Albert, Sarah A., Justus
and Jane, the last two of whom are dead. In early manhood Albert worked with
his father at the house-painter's trade. In 1844 he came to Knoxville, Tioga
county, Pennsylvania, and entered the employ of his uncle, 0. P. Beach, in whose
store he clerked for one-half year, when his uncle took him into partnership under
the firm name of Beach & Dearman. In 1849 the firm dissolved, and Justus
Dearman then came to Knoxville and formed a partnership with his brother, for the


882 nisTOKT OF tioga county.

sale of merehandisej the combined capital not exceeding $1,000. The firm of A,
& J. Dearman existed for fifteen years, and by fair dealing and strict attention
to business prospered beyond their expectations. At the end of that period the
firm dissolved by mutual consent, Justus continuing the business at the old stand.
In 1871 his store was destroyed by fire, and in 1873 he erected the substantial busi-
ness house which he occupied until his death, December 14, 1880. Justus Dearman
never married. He possessed great taste and pride in his home and surroundings,
and his store and grounds were arranged and ornamented under his personal super-
vision. He was a liberal contributor towards any project for the benefit of his
adopted town, while he was known as one of the most lenient creditors. He is
buried in Fairview Cemetery, at Osceola, in a lot which has been beautifully fitted
up with, all the attention brotherly affection could suggest. Albert Dearman
remains as he has been for many years, one of the leading merchants of Knoxville,
and is probably the oldest merchant in Tioga county in continuous business. He
married October 1, 1861, Jennie Sutliff, a daughter of Case and Jane (Dearman)
Sutliff, of Dryden, Tompkins county, New York, and has two children living:
Charlie G. and Everett J. Mr. Dearman is a Eepublican, and has been burgess
of Knoxville fifteen years, being last re-elected in 1894 for a term of three years.
He has also served several terms as a school director. In religious belief, he is a

William Mahkham was born in England, July 6, 1817, a son of John Mark-
ham, who came to the United States in 1833 and located near Ithaca, Few York,
whence the family removed to Deerfield township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania.
John Markham was one of the early settlers of Deerfield, where he cleared a farm
of over 300 acres. Towards the close of his life he removed to Knoxville and died at
the age of eighty-five years. He was twice married. His second wife was Mrs.
Catharine Cornell, nee Quick. He reared five children: Samuel, William, George,
Thomas, and Ann, who married Thomas Kymes. The subject of this sketch grew
to manhood in Deerfield township, where he was engaged in farming, and also
worked at the carpenter's trade for many years. During the Civil War he carried
on a hardware store in Knoxville, in company with Giles Koberts. His wife, Betsey,
was a daughter of Benjamin and Anna (Baker) Giles, of Deerfield, and bore him
four children, viz: Mary A., wife of William Morse; Albert, Charles D., and
Sophronia, wife of Guy E. Kelts. Mr. Markham died on July 12, 1883, from
injuries received by falling from a scaffold. He was a member of the Christian
church, and in politics, a Eepubliean.

Albeet Maekham, eldest son of William Markham, and grandson of John
Markham, was born in Knoxville, Tioga county, December 37, 1850, and has always
lived in his native place. He obtained a common school education and also attended
Union Academy. After spending two years at the harness maker's trade, he em-
barked in business for himself in 1873, and, with the exception of five years, has
continued in that business up to the present. Mr. Markham married Mary Fisk,
a daughter of Orlando and Catharine (Loomis) Fisk, of Knoxville, February 13,
1876, and has two children, Walter and Mabel. In politics, Mr. Maxkham is a Ee-
publiean, and has filled various local oifices. He is a member of the P. & A. M.,


the I. 0. 0. F., the K. 0. T. M., aad the I. 0. K. M. societies, in all of which he takes
an active interest.

Giles Eobeets, a prominent merchant of Knoxville, was horn in Cincinnatus,
Cortland eotinty, E"ew York, March 10, 1833, and is a son of Samuel and Eliza
(Green) Roberts. The Eoberts family came from Connecticut, and the Green
family from Ehode Island. Mr. Roberts was reared in his native county until six-
teen years of age, and obtained a common school education. In 1848 he went to
Ehode Island, where he served an apprenticeship of three years at the tinner's
trade, and later worked as a journeyman in Massachusetts and New Hampshire. In
1853 he settled at Knoxville, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and the same year em-
barked in the tin and stove business, as a member of the firm of Markham &
Eoberts, which partnership existed for ten years. He then purchased his partner's
interest, and has since carried on a general hardware business. During this period
he was also a member of the firm of Markham & Roberts, lumber dealers, and did
quite an extensive business in that line. In January, 1855, Mr. Roberts married
Helen Dunham, a daughter of William and Ruby (Mattison) Dunham, of Knoxville,
and has one daughter living, Mrs. Alfred Edgcomb. He is now serving his third
term as justice of the peace of Knoxville; was coroner of Tioga county one term, and
has always given an earnest support to the principles and measures of the Repub-
lican party.

Heney G. Short was bom in De Eeuyter, Madison county, New York, Feb-
ruary 14, 1821, a son of Zadock and Hannah (Van Horn) Short. He was reared
in Cortland county. New York, but never attended school except six weeks, and
whatever education he possesses was self-acquired. In 1853 he settled at Knox-
ville, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and for fifteen years was a traveling salesman
for a New York hat, cap and fur house, and for an additional fifteen years filled
a similar position for a wholesale gTOcery house of the same city. He still' lives in
the suburbs of Knoxville, on a farm of thirty acres, upon which he settled more
than forty years ago, clearing and improving the land through the passing years.
Mr. Short was married July 2, 1845, to Mercy Barker, a daughter of Albert and
Sophronia (Eastman) Barker, of Homer, Cortland county. New York. They are
the parents of two children: Helen A., wife of E. H. Bowen, and John G. In
early life Mr. Short served a four years' apprenticeship at the harness-maker's
trade, but not liking the business, he never followed it afterwards. He is a member
of the E. A. U., and the P. of H. In politics, he is a Democrat, and has held every
local office in Knoxville from burgess down.

Joel Johnson was born in Triangle, Broome county, New York, August 28,

Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 119 of 163)