Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 120 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 120 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

1818, a son of Edward and Eoxanna (Cook) Johnson. On attaining his majority
he engaged in farming until 1852, when he located at Jasper, Steuben county, New
York, where he operated a steam saw-mill and grist-mill for three years. He then
returned to Triangle, Broome county, whence he removd in 1863 to Knoxville,
Tioga county, Pennsylvania, .ind purchased the grist and saw-mill property later
operated by his son, Laveme J. He continued in this business until his death,
which occurred November 9, 1893, at the age of seventy-five years. In 1888 he
tore down the old mill, erected in 1825 by Silas Billings, and built the present
one, which is equipped with all the modem improvements of mill machinery. His


wife was Caroline Ives, of Guilford, New York, who bore him fcix children, five of
whom are living, viz: Frances, wife of 0. H. Wood; Leverett A., Alice, wife of
F. L. Seoville; Ida, wife of J. F. Goodspeed, and Laverne J. Mr. Johnson was
an adherent of the Republican party, and in religious faith, a member of the Pres-
byterian church.

Laveene J. Johnson, youngest son of Joel and Caroline Johnson, was bom
in Triangle, Broome county, 'New York, February 12, 1861, and was two yeaxs
old when his parents cajne to Knoxville, Tioga cotmty. He attended the public
schools of that borough, and later Starkey Seminary, Yates county, New York, and
Elmira Business College. Before attaining his majority, he took charge of the
grist-mill, purchasing and selling supplies, and in. 1883 entered into partnership with
his father and brother, which continued until January, 1894, when he became sole
proprietor of the mill, and managed it until August, 1895. Mr. Johnson was mar-
ried February 37, 1889, to Cora J. lAigg, a daughter of Anthony W. and Ann
(Seely) Lugg, of Knoxville, and has two children, Glenna A. and Eeed Laveme.
In politics, he is a Bepublican, and also a member of the F. & A. M. He is one
of the well known young business men of Knoxville, where he now carries on a
flour and feed store.

NoAK EvEEiTT was bom in Wantage, Sussex county, New Jersey, May 4, 1837,
and is a son of Jesse and Phoebe (Tuttle) Everitt, who came to Deerfield township,
Tioga county, Pennsylvania, about 1870, where his father engaged in farming,
and died in 1874. Jesse and Plioebe Everitt were the parents of four children who
grew to maturity, viz: Isaac, Noah, Jesse and Josiah. The subject of this sketch
was reared in his native county, there received a good common school education, and
later taught school for several years, but has spent most of his life in agricultural
pursuits. He settled in Deerfield township, Tioga county, in 1866, purchasing 150
acres of land, which he partially cleared and improved, and for a number of years
he operated a dairy of thirty cows. In 1890 he removed to Knoxville, where he
has since carried on a grocery, flour, feed and general mercantile business. In
1858 Mr. Everitt married Kate Winfield, a daughter of Isaiah aaid Kate Winfield,
of Sussex county. New Jersey, and has three children: Henry, Caxrie, wife of Her-
man Knox, and Florence, wife of J. N. Losey. Mr. Everitt is a member of the
Methodist Episcopal church, and a stanch adherent of the Democratic pajty. He
has filled various local offices in Deerfield township, and is now recognized as one
of the substantial business men of Knoxville.

Chestee Wells was bom in Binghamton, New York, April 33, 1835, a son of
Chester and Polly (Sleiter) Wells. His father was a native of Connecticut, of
Scotch ancestry, and his mother of Binghamton, New York, where she was bom in
1796, when that place contained but two log cabins. She was of French descent.
Mr. Wells was reared in Binghamton, and there learned the carpenter's trade with
B. F. Scisson, with whom he remained seven years. In 1851 he removed to Towanda,
Pennsylvania, where he went into the furniture and undertaking business, and
carried on the same until Jajiuary 1, 1865, when he removed to Waverly New
York and later to Addison. He followed the lumber business and also' con-
ducted a general store at Addison, remaining there between four and five years
In October, 1869, he located at Knoxville, Tioga countv, where he carried on the


fiimiture and undertaking business for twenty-six yeajs. Mr. Wells was married
October 4, 1849, to Margaret A. Chambers, a daughter of George W. and Hannah
(Simonson) Chambers, of Staten Island, who died on January 14, 1894. Seven
children were the fruits of this union, named as follows: George, deceased; Ches-
ter F., a resident of Binghamton; J. Stewart, an attorney of West Superior, Wis-
consin; William P., Edmund L., Helen C. and Mrs. Grace Howland. Mr. Wells
died in Knoxville, October 3, 1895, and the business has since been conducted by
his daughter, Helen C. He was a member of, the I. 0. 0. F. ,and in politics, a
stanch Democrat. Upright and straightforward in all his dealings, he enjoyed
the confidence and respect of the community, and was one of the popular business
men of Knoxville.

Charles A. Reese, M. D., was born in Somerset county, Pennsylvania, August
30, 1841, and is a son of Eev. Charles and Catherine (Gephart) Reese, natives of
Lebanon and Lancaster counties, Pennsylvania, respectively, who were of Welsh
and German descent. His father was a minister of the Lutheran church, and was
widely known throughout the State. Charles A. was reared in Pennsylvania, and
was educated in the public schools and Bernville Academy, Berks county, Penn-
sylvania. From the age of eleven to nineteen he clerked in a general store, and
during the Rebellion recruited thirty-four men for the Union army, which under
the ruling of Governor Curtin entitled him. to a captaincy, but he never applied
for the commission. In 1860 he began the study of medicine in the office of his
brother. Dr. D. J. Reese, now of Renovo, Pennsylvania, and attended one partial and
one full course of lectures at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia. In
1863 he commenced practice at Sinnamahoning, Cameron county, where he con-
tinued for twelve years. In the fall of 1872 he attended another course of lectures
at the University of Pennsylvania, and was graduated in the class of 1873, In
1875 he located at Knoxville, Tioga county, where for more than twenty-one years
he was engaged in the active duties of his profession. Dr. Reese was married
August 31, 1864, to Alice M. Stamp, a daughter of Joseph and Maria (Fish) Stamp,
of Clinton county, Pennsylvania. They are the parents of eight children, six of
whom grew to maturity. Their names are as follows: Libbie, wife of Eugene
Wortm.an; Frajacis Gurney Smith, who graduated at the University of Pennsyl-
vania in the class of 1895, and is now practicing medicine in Coudersport; Imogene,
wife of Norman P. Madison; Bertie, deceased; Allie M. and Eva M. In politics.
Dr. Reese is a stanch Democrat, and was a member of the school board of Knox-
ville for seven years. During his residence in Cameron county, which is strongly
Republican, he was elected coroner by the largest majority ever given to a candi-
date for a county office up to that time. Against his earnest protest he was re-
nominated for a second term, but used his influence for his opponent, aad even then
was defeated by only a small majority. While a resident of Knoxville, he enjoyed
a good practice, and was recognized by his medical brethren as one of the able
physicians of the county. In the spring of 1897 Dr. Reese removed to Coudersport,
where he has since continued to pursue his profession.

John W. Fitch, a native of N"ew York state, and a son of Samuel and Sally
(Woodcock) Fitch, came in early manhood to Nelson township, Tioga county,
Pennsylvania, removing at a later day to Erookfield to^Tiship, where he purchased


a tract of land and cleared and improved a farm, now owned by Fred. Busli, which
he afterwards exchanged for a farm in the same township. He resided in- Brook-
iield upwards of forty years, and at one time owned over 400 acres of land in that
part of the coimty. During this period he was extensively engaged in lumbering,
and was an energetic, enterprising citizen. About 1878 he located at Knoxville,
where he later embarked in general merchandising, which business he conducted
until his death, September 26, 1889, in the sixty-eighth year of his age. Mr.
Fitch was twice married. His first wife was Minerva Seeley, a daughter of Barney
Seeley, of Brookiield township, who bore him five children, viz: Sally A., who
married Henry Holt; Charles, William G., John E., and Ella, wife of Chauncey
Keynolds. His second wife was Sally Seeley, a sister of his first wife. At one
time Mr. Fitch was a member of the I. 0. 0. F. He was a Eepublicaji, in politics,
and served as a member of the Knoxville council.

John E. Fitch, son of John W. and Minerva Fitch, was bom in Brookfield
township, Tioga county, June 12, 1850. He was reared in his native township,
and obtained his education in the public schools and "Woodhull Academy. After
attaining his majority, he was engaged in farming for twelve years in Brookfield,
and also as a drover, buying and selling cattle for the New York and Philadelphia
markets. He lived in Brookfield until 1888, when he removed to Knoxville, where
he has since been successfully engaged in general merchandising. Mr. Fitch was
married October 18, 1875, to Orcelia Beagle, a daughter of James and Malvina
(Kevins) Beagle, of Steuben county, ISTew York, and has one son, David B., bom
March 13, 1880, also an adopted daughter. Myrtle. In politics, Mr. Fitch is a
Eepublican, has served five years in the borough council, and is one of the leading
business men of Knoxville.

Chaeles Lugg was born in Gloucestershire, England, October 11, 1791, a son
of Eobert and Phoebe (Haley) Lugg, the latter a cousin of Gen. Anthony Wayne.
He was reared on a farm, and followed that business as a vocation all his life. He
first came to the TJnited States with his family, consisting of his wife and five chil-
dren, in 1830, and located in Elkland, Tioga county, Pennsylvania. He later rented
a farm on Thorn Bottom creek, one mile and a half west of Nelson, on Beecher's
Island. But being disappointed with the country, he returned with his family to
England in May, 1831. In the autumn of 1833 he again came to Tioga county,
settling on what is known as Sober's Hill, in Farmington township, where he pur-
chased 100 acres of land, containing a log house and barn, and about four acres
cleared. He subsequently added 150 acres to his first purchase, cleared up 200
acres of the tract, and spent the remaining years of his life on this farm. Mr. Lugg
was married in England, by Eev. Edward Mansfield, August 18, 1818, to Mary Ann
Chandler, born June 30, 1797, a daughter of James Chandler, of Gloucestershire,
England, to which union were bom eight children, viz: Sarah, who married Isaac
C. Whitehead, and for her second husband, David Hoyt; Mary A., who married
Alanson Hoyt; Eliza, who became the wife of Lewis Beiver; Anthony W., Eobert
S., who married Eebecca Bottum; Caroline, who mamed Enoch Blackwell; Eliza-
beth and Charles. Mr. Lugg died January 13, 1874, aged eighty-three years, and
his wife, March 12, 1873, aged seventy-five years. Both were members of the Pres-
byterian church for sixty years.


Anthony W. Lugg, eldest son of Chnxles and Mary A. Lugg, was born in
Grloueestersliire, England, August 25, 1835, and came to Tioga county, Penn-
sylvania, with his parents in 1830, and again in 1833. In early manhood he en-
gaged in farming, which he followed until thirty yeaxs of age. In October, 1855,
he embarked in merchandising at Nelson, Tioga county, which he successfully
continued there up to 1881. In 1877-78 he spent seven months in California
for the benefit of his health, and in 1881-82 six months in that State for the same
purpose. From 1882 to 1886 he was engaged in farming on the old homestead
in Farmington township, and in the spring of the latter year located at Knox-
ville, where he resided until his death, January 29, 1897. As senior member of
the firm of A. W. Lugg & Sons, he followed general merchandising in that borough
for more than ten years. On February 6, 1851, Mr. Lugg married Ann K. Seely,
a daughter of Nathaniel and Lucy (Kelsey) Seely, of Osceola. Six children were
the fruits of this union, four of whom survive, viz: Wayne, Charles H., Cora, wife
of L. J. Johnson, and A. Waldo. In polities, Mr. liUgg was an advocate of pro-
hibition. While a resident of Nelson township, he served twenty-two years as a
justice of the peace, being elected five successive terms. For more than forty years
Mr. Lugg was a member of the Presbyterian church. He was one of the sub-
stantial and respected citizens of Knoxville, a kind husband and a good father.

Andrew B. Hitchcock was born in Caton, Steuben county. New York, May
15, 1863, a son of Ezekiel and Martha (Silsbee) Hitchcock. His parents came to
Covington, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1865, and later removed to Morris
Eun, and thence to Lawrence township, where his mother died in 1887.
They had eight children, six boys and two girls. Our subject was reared in
Tioga county from the age of two years, and was educated in the district schools
and the State Normal School at Mansfield, Pennsylvania. He graduated from
the latter institution in 1884, and commenced teaching in the fall of that year
in the schools of Union township, and the next year was principal of the schools
at Morris Eun. In 1886 he became principal of the Knoxville graded schools and
attained a front rank among the educators of the county. In 1895 he resigned
his position as principal and purchased a general insurance business. Mr. Hitch-
cock was married August 5, 1891, to Ola AVoodbury, the daughter of Frederick and
Sarah (Kelly) Woodbury, of Knoxville. They have had two children, Eeed W.
and Howard F. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, also of the
F. & A. M. In politics, he is a supporter of the Eepublican party, and was elected
justice of the peace in February, 1897, which ofiice he is now filling.

Philip Eeway was bom in Chemung county. New York, September 14, 1823,
a son of Philip and Anna (Fogel) Erway, and is of Irish and Dutch extraction. He
remained in New York state until seventeen years of age, and his education was
limited to less than three months' attendance at the common schools. In 1840 he
came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and found employment on a farm in Delmar
township for three years. In 1843 he purchased a tract of seventy-five acres in
Chatham township, which, as time would permit, he cleared and improved, v.'-ork-
ing in the lumber camps during the winter seasons. In the meantime he built
a log cabin on his farm, in which he kept "bachelor's hall" for about two yeaxs,
and lived there until 1863, when he exchanged that farm for another of eighty


acres, to which he subsequently added fifty acres more, making a total of 130
acres. In 1869 he purchased another sixty-acre tract, cleared and improved it,
and sold it in 1882. He lived in Chathajn township until 1886, when he re-
moved to Knoxville, where he has since resided. Mr. Erway has been twice mar-
ried. His first wife was Mary King, a daughter of Samuel P. and Eleanor (Spring-
steel) King, of Chatham township, who bore him eight children, viz: Eutsor P.,
Oscar, Floyd, Amos, Euth, wife of Hiram Close; Edgar, Otis H. and Andrew G.
His second wife was Amy W. Marlatt, a daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth (Pease)
Marlatt, of Steuben county, New York. In politics, Mr. Erway is a Eepublican,
and is one of the prosperous, well known and respected citizens of the community.

John S. Adams was born in Wayne county, Pennsylvania, November 13, 1843,
a son of Elijah and Ann Eliza (Cressman) Adams, and was of English and Ger-
man descent. In early manhood he went to Pike county, Pennsylvania, where
he engaged in lumbering, and in the fall of 1881 he located in Galeton, Potter
county, where he remained one year. In October, 1882, he removed to Gaines,
Tioga county, and in partnership with Michael Maloney embarked in the hotel
business. They greatly improved the moral siirroundings of the house, and proved
that a hotel on Pine creek could be conducted decently and in order. He remained
there three years and a half in the hotel business, and after one year's retirement
he, in April, 1887, purchased the brick hotel property at Knoxville since known
as the Adams House. He soon built up the reputation of the house, and carried
it on successfully to the time of his death, which occurred October 31, 1893. Dur-
ing this period he had won the confidence and esteem of the leading business men
of the borough. Mr. Adams was married August 11, 1870, to Celestia Armstrong,
a daughter of Caleb and Louisa (Gardner) Armstrong, of Otsego county. New
York, who became the mother of three cliildren, viz: Mary E., Charles, deceased,
and Floyd. He was a prominent Mason and Odd Fellow; was also connected with
the K. of H., and in politics, was a stanch Democrat. Mr. Adams' word was re-
garded as good as his bond, and he was one of the best, if not the best, landlords
in the history of Knoxville. He was kind and hospitable, and no needy person
ever went hungry from his door.

Chaeles E. Beuglee, editor and publisher of the Knoxville Courier, was
bom in Blairstown township, Warren county New Jersey, March 7, 1855, a son
of James and Susannah (Konkle) Brugler. He was reared in his native county,
and obtained his education in the public schools and Honeywell Academy. He
served six years' apprenticeship at the printer's trade in the office of the Blairs-
town Press, and later was assistant foreman of the New Jersey Herald, published
at Newton, New Jersey, for nearly four years. On November 1, 1889, he purchased
the plant of the Knoxville Courier, at Knoxville, Tioga county, which under
his management has become one of the leading papers in the Cowanesque valley.
Mr. Brugler was married April 25, 1877, to Eosa A. Bunnell, a daughter, of Henry
and Mary (Lanterman) Bunnell, of Blairstown, New Jersey.- They are the parents
of four children, as follows: C. Harry, Lewis J., Milton A. and E. Bunnell. In
politics, Mr. Brugler is a Eepublican, and in religion, a member of the Presby-
terian church. He has always taken an active interest in social affairs, and is con-
nected with the K. of H., and the P. of H. societies.


Alonzo KibbEj physician and surgeon, was bom in Harrison township, Pot-
ter county, Pennsylvania, April 16, 1856, a son of Thomas J. and Dorcas (Cotton)
Kibbe. He was reared on a farm, and obtained his education in the public schools
and TJlysses Academy. In 1883 he commenced the study of medicine with Dr. M. K.
Pritchard, of Harrison VaUey, and was graduated from the College of Physicians
and Surgeons, Baltimore, Maiyland, March 13, 1885. The same year he began
the practice of his profession at Galeton, Potter county, removing one year later to
Troupsburg, where he continued in practice for five years. In April, 1891, Dr.
Kibbe located at Knoxville, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he has since been
engaged in the practice of his profession. He has been twice maxried. His first wife
was Ida L. Hurlbut, of Harrison township. Potter county. His second wife was Anna
G. Merrick, a daughter of Charles and Hannah (Sears) Merrick, of Wellsboro,
Tioga county, who has borne him four children: Kussell L., Eose Geraldine,
Sarah lone and Stewart E. Dr. Kibbe is a member of the Methodist Episcopal
church, and is connected with the F. & A. M., the K. 0. T. M., the K. of H., the I.
0. 0. P. and I. 0. E. M. In politics, he is a Eepubliean, and is a member of the board .
of health of Knoxville. Since locating in Tioga county, he has built up a lucrative
practice and attained a front rank among the medical fraternity of this portion of
the State.

William Wass was bom in Sussex county. New Jersey, March 37, 1794, and
was a son of Adam Wass, a native of Germany. He served through the War of 1813,
and drew a pension from the government for his services in that war. Soon after
its close, he removed to Elmira, New York, where he was married, and in 1817
came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, settling in Deerfield township, but in 1818
he removed to Chatham township. Here he cleared two large farms, and also en-
gaged in the lumber business, and for forty years, during the rafting season, was a
pilot on the Susquehanna river. At the end of each season he walked home
from Columbia, Pennsylvania, a distance of 200 miles, making the trip in four
days. He died upon his farm in Chatham township, May 19, 1889, where he had
lived for more than seventy years, and is buried in Eiverside Cemetery, at Knox-
ville. His wife was Polly Humphrey, a daughter of Isaac Humphrey, of Ohio, who
bore him a family of ten children, viz: George, Eleanor, widow of Joseph Palk-
ner; John, Sally A., who married Abram Humphrey; Harriet, who married A. D.
White; Mary, wife of John Faulkner; William, Alexander, David and Eobert. In
politics, Mr. Waes was a Eepubliean, and is remembered as one of the oldest citi-
zens in the county at the time of his death, attaining the ripe old age of over ninety-
five years.

David Wass, son of William Wass, was bom in Chatham township, Tioga
county. May 13, 1837, and was reared on the old homestead upon which he lived
until 1890, when he removed to Knox\dlle, where he has since resided. He is still
the owner of the old farm, settled by his father nearly three-quarters of a century
ago. He has been engaged in farming and- lumbering since early manhood, and
has been quite successful. On May 3, 1874, he married Lucinda Perry, a daughter
of Wooster and Maria (Lucas) Perry, of WoodhuU, Steuben county, New York.
He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, while his wife is a Presbyter-
ian. In polities, he is an adherent of the Democratic party.


Moses Insoho, second son of Obadiah and Judith Inseho, was born April 28,
1793, and was six years old when his parents settled in Tioga county. He was reared
upon the homestead farm in Lawrence township, and in 1825 located in Deerfield
township, where he partially cleared and improved a farm. He did considerable
business as a teamster, owned a saw mill and dealt in lumber to some extent. About
fifty years ago he built the wooden bridge yet standing south of Knoxville. On
January 1, 1818, he married Mary Seelye, a daughter of Capt. John and Elizabeth
(Lindsley) Seelye, pioneers of Steuben county, New York. She was born January
31, 1793, and became the mother of ten children, as follows: William Edwin,
bom October 11,1818, and died May 10, 1881; Eliza Lindsley, born January 15,
1830, widow of John 0. Ward; Hiram, born February 24, 1831, and died March
35, 1896; Mary Ann, born ISTovember 6, 1832, who married Benoni Madison, and
died August 10, 1871; Charlotte A., bom July 5, 1835, who lives upon the old home-
stead; Eachel, born February 16, 1837; James Byron, born N"ovember 35, 1838,
and died September 16, 1854; Micajali Seelye, born November 12, 1830; Emily J.,
bom May 22, 1833, and Lucius C, bom December 6, 1834, and died January 8,
1896. Mr. Inseho died October 1, 1848, in his fifty-seventh year, and his wife,
January 11, 1872, in her seventy-ninth year. Their daughter, Charlotte A., who
has remained unmarried, occupies the old homestead, and is the owner of 365 acres
of land. Her history from early girlhood is full of interest, and illustrates what
persistent industry can accomplish. She started in life with an earned capital of
$16, and is to-day one of the substantial farmers of Deerfield. She carried on mer-
chandising in Knoxville for many years, and is noted for her sound, progressive
business qualifications and sterling integrity.

HiHAM Inscho, second son of Moses Inseho, and grandson of Obadiah Inseho,
was born in Tioga township, Tioga county, February 34, 1831, and spent his entire
life in his native coimty engaged in agricultural pursuits. He was twice married.
His first wife was Lucretia George, and his second, Mrs. Betsy Glover, but he left
no children by either marriage. He died March 25, 1896. He was a quiet, retir-
ing, honest man, and a good citizen, but never accumulated much of this world's
goods. In politics, he was a Eepublican.

MicAJAH Seelte Inscho, son of Moses and Mary Inscho, and grandson of
Obadiah Inscho, was bom in Deerfield township, Tioga county, November 13, 1830,

Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 120 of 163)