Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 121 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 121 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


He was reared on the Inscho homestead, and attended the common schools and Union
Academy in boyhood. At the age of fourteen he began working as a lumber pilot
on the Cowanesque river, and followed the lumber business upwards of thirty
years. He also bought cattle and sheep for the New York and Williamsport markets
for several years, and has devoted his principal attention to farming, having re-
sided in Westfield township since 1878. In 1858 Mr. Inscho married Charlotte
Howland, a daughter of Joseph and Lucy (Rexford) Howland, of Steuben county,
New York, and has three children, viz: Merrit F., Lucy, wife of Ealph Skinner,
and Mary, wife of Fred Preston. In September, 1863, he efilisted in Company A,
One Hundred and Seventy-first Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was honorably dis-
charged after a service of ten months. In politics, Mr. Inscho is a Republican.

Capt. John Seelte, though never a resident of this county, has numerous
descendants in the Cowanesque valley. He was born in Litchfield, Connecticut,



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 891



April 22, 1757, and died in Lindley, Steuben county. New York, January 17, 1813.
He married Elizabeth Lindsley, March 9, 1783. She was bom July 17, 1764, and
died January 25, 1852. She was a daughter of Col. Eleazer Lindsley, a soldier of
the Eevolution and a pioneer of Steuben county, where the town of Lindley was
named in his honor, though a mistake was made in the ofBcial spelling of the
word, which was intended to be "Lindsley." Captain Seelye and wife were among
the honored pioneers of that locality, and reared the following children: Mahlon,
Samuel, Daniel, Mieajah, Mary, Phoebe, Louise, A¥illiam, Eleazer and Eliza. Cap-
tain Seelye was a prominent Mason, and his grand-daughter. Miss Charlotte A.
Inscho, has in her possession a gold locket containing his portrait, on the back of
which is carved the mystic symbols of the Masonic order. It is an heirloom highly
prized by its owner.

Nathan Bakee, of Otsego county. New York, came to Tioga county, Penn-
sylvania, in 1827, and in the following year settled in what is now Deerfleld town-
ship, on the farm owned and occupied by his grandson, Allen Baker. With the as-
sistance of his sons, he cleared and improved this farm, and resided there until his
death. He died April 17, 1846, and was interred upon the homestead. His wife
was Hannah Wood, and their children were as follows: Sally, who married Marvel
Handy; Daniel, Charlotte, who married Jarvis Freeman; Ira, Esther, who married
Hiram Bostwick; Nathan, Hannah, who married Hiram Swimley; Perry and
Elisha.

Iea Bakee, son of Nathan and Hannah Baker, was born in Otsego county.
New York, February 26, 1815, and removed with his parents to Tioga county, Penn-
sylvania, in 1827. Soon after arriving at manliood he took up and cleared a farm
in Chatham township, about a mile south of the old homestead. Here he remained
until 1852, when he returned to the old homestead in Deerfield, settled by his father
in 1828, and there died September 23, 1894. He married Lydia Philley, a daughter
of Luman and Eunice ( Coburn) Philley, pioneers of Deerfield township. Three
children were born to this union, viz: Laura, wife of Timothy Hastings; Allen,
and Alta M., wife of Welch Eeynolds. Mr. Baker was a member of the Christian
church, and in. politics, a Eepubliean.

Allen Bakes, only son of Ira and Lydia Baker, was bom in Chatham town-
ship, Tioga county, January 15, 1843, and from nine years of age was reared on what
is known as the Baker homestead in Deeriield township, which he now owns and
occupies. He received a common school education, and has made farming his life
vocation. On December 24, 1875, he married Hattie Guile, a daughter of Alonzo
and Mary J. (Watkins) Guile, of Deerfield township, who is the mother of the fol-
lowing children: Edith, deceased; Emest G., Blanche 0. and Everitt A. In poli-
tics, Mr. Baker is a Eepubliean; has served as school director of his township four-
teen years; is a member of the P. of H., and is one of the prominent and influential
farmers of the community.

Henet F. Daniels, Se., was bom in Broome county. New York, July 16,
1817, a son of George and Lydia (Hoskins) Daniels, who settled in Jasper, Steuben
county. New York, in 1828. Their children were as follows: Hannah, who mar-
ried Edmund Porter; Nathan, Barney, George W., William, Leonard, Lurania,
who married Abram Freeland; Ehoda, who became the wife of Amos Eaymond;



892 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.



Henry F., and Lydia J., who married Truman Kibbe. In 1832 Henry P. came to
Tioga county, Pennsylvania, locating in what is now Deerfield township, and in
1838 he settled on his present farm, most of which he has cleared, and has erected
all the buildings now thereon. It embraces 186 acres. Mr. Daniels married Esther
Cloos, September 37, 1838. She is a daughter of IsTewbury and Esther (Short)
Cloos, and a grand-daughter of Eeuben Cloos, pioneers of Tioga county. Five
children have been born to this union, viz: Melissa, Henry F., Mary J., wife of
Lueian A. Mattison; Emma, wife of Willard S. Carpenter, and Jeannette, wife of
Frank H. Smith. Mr. Daniels is a member of the Christian church, and an ad-
herent of the Eepublican party.

Heney p. Daniels, Je., was born in what is now Deerfield township, Tioga
county, February 26, 1841, and is a son of Henry P. Daniels, Sr. He lived upon
the old homestead until he was tliirty-two years of age, when he located upon the
farm of his uncle, Eeuben Cloos, which has since been his home. He was educated
in the Osceola High school, and the Union and Troupsburg academies, and has
always followed farming as an occupation. On July 14, 1866, he married Jerusha
L. Van Dusen, a daughter of Benjamin and Jerusha (Lee) Van Dusen, of Chatham
township. They have five children, viz: Ned J., and Fred P., twins, the latter de-
ceased; Bertha E., Ben. B. and George H. On Lee's invasion of Pennsylvania, in
1863, Mr. Daniels joined Company G, Thirty-fifth Pennsylvania Militia, and served
two months. In politics, he is a Eepublican, and has filled various local offices in
Deerfield, including clerk and treasurer, and was elected justice of the peace in Febru-
ary, 1896. He is a member of the 6. A. E., the Grange and the K. of H.

Moses Lee was bom in Milford, Otsego county, New York, December 32,
1813, a son of Daniel and Hannah (Butts) Lee, and was of English and
Dutch descent. He was reared in his native county, received a common school
education, and was a natural mathematician. In middle life he took up surveying,
became quite efficient in that profession, and did an extensive business. In 1832,
when nineteen years of age, he came to Chatham township, Tioga county, Penn-
sylvania, where the balance of his life was spent in agricultural pursuits. A short
time after his coming, his parents located in Chatham township. Their children
were as follows: Moses, James E., Seneca, Thomas D., Jerusha, who married
Benjamin Van Dusen, and Maiy, who married Joseph Walling. The sons cleared
and improved a farm, which is now situated on the line of Deerfield and Chatham
townships, and is still in the possesion of the family. Moses Lee lived on the home-
stead until his death, December 10, 1892, being then within twelve days of eighty
years of age. His first wife was Sylvia Costley, a daughter of Charles and Orpha
(Bowen) Costley, of Deerfield township. She was the mother of four children, two
of whom- grew to maturity, viz: Mary, who married William Wass, Jr., and Daniel
H. They also had an adopted daughter, Jane, who married Lemuel Jackson. Mr.
Lee's second wife. Amy, a daughter of Abram Teachman, resides in Chatham town-
ship.

Daniel H. Lee was bom on the old Lee homestead, in what is now Deerfield
township, Tioga county, November 2, 1838, and is the only surviving son of Mo«es
and Sylvia Lee. He was educated in the common schools and Alfred University, and
has always followed farming as aa occupation. He lived on the old homestead until



BIOGKAPHICAL SKETCHES. 893



twenty-four years of age, when he purchased an adjoining farm where he resided
until 1894 and then removed to Knoxville. He married Armenia M. Lee, a daugh-
ter of Alonzo and Almira (Wright) Lee, of Chatham township, and has one son,
Joseph H. In politics, Mr. Lee is a Republican. He is a member of Pomona Grange,
No. 30, P. of H., and also of the K. of H.

Jacob Peice, a New Jersey Quaker, was a pioneer of Tioga county, Penn-
sylvania, locating near Freeman's grist mill', in Westfield township, where he made
a clearing and erected a house, which is still standing. He later removed to what
is now Philips Station, in the same township, where he continued in agricultural
pursuits until his death. He was maiTied three times. His second wife, a Miss
Baker, became the mother of twelve children, and his last wife bore him one child.

Samuel B. Peice, a son of Jacob Price by his second marriage, was bom in
Westfield township, Tioga county, in 1819. He received a good education, and for
twenty-one years followed school teaching, as well as farming, in Deerfield township.
He established Union Academy, at Academy Comers, which he conducted for twenty-
one years, and was an educator of considerable local celebrity. His wife was
Sophia Leonard, a daughter of Stephen and Peninah (Darrow) Leonard, of West-
field, who bore him two children, one of whom is living, Charles R. Mr. Price was
not only a leading educator, but a prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal
church, and an enterprising, progressive citizen. He was a stanch Republican,
and served one term as superintendent of schools of Tioga county. He died in
1868.

Chaeles R. Peice, only surviving child of Samuel B. Price, was bom in Deer-
field township, Tioga county, February 36, 1856, and was educated at Union
Academy and the State Normal School, Mansfield. He later taught school for two
terms, but since 1871 he has devoted his attention to farming. On January 19, 1878, .
he married Emma Mead, a daughter of Frank and Mary (Phippen) Mead, of
Lawrenoeville, Tioga county, and has four children, viz; Earl P., Hugh S., Wayne
and Reid. Mr. Price is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and also of
the P. of H. In politics, he is a Republican, and a strong advocate of prohibition.

Maetin Bowen, a son of Elihu and Lucy Bowen, was bom in Rhode Island,
October 9, 1788, and there grew to manhood. In 1816 he came to Tioga county,
Pennsylvania, and settled in Westfield township, later removed to Farmington, and
thence to Deerfield, where he operated a tannery for some years. He died in Deer-
field, June 5, 1858. His wife, Freelove, was a daughter of Jonathan Potter, of
Rhode Island, and reared a family of nine children, viz; Cyrus P., William, Alma,
who married Joseph Edson, and subsequently William Weeks; Rhoda, Elihu, who
recently died in this township; Lucy, who married George Aldrich; Freelove J.,
Ruth, who married Allen King, and Phoebe W. Mr. and Mrs. Bowen were mem-
bers of the Society, of Friends, and died in that faith.

Elihtj Bowen, son of Martin and Freelove Bowen, and grandson of Elihu
and Lucy Bowen, was born in Westfield township, Tioga county, March 14,
1819, and spent his entire life in this county. He was married May 37,
1849, to Eliza Ann Greene, a daughter of James and Polly Greene, of Steuben
county. New York, and settled on his late homestead in Deerfield township the same
year, where he resided until his death, Pebmary 14, 1896. His original purchase



894 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

embraced ninety-seven acres, to which he afterwards added until he owned a well-
improved farm of 129 acres. He was the father of four children, viz: Eva J., de-
ceased wife of Elmer "Wheaton; Addie P., wife of Wallace Davis, of Deerfield; Lena,
deceased, and Cora M., wife of William Smith, of South Addison, Ifew York. Mrs,
Bowen resides on the old homestead. Mr. Bowen was an honest and respected
citizen of Deerfield, a member of the Baptist church, and in politics, a Prohibi-
tionist.

Joseph 0. I^bwman settled at Academy Comers, Deerfield township, Tioga
county, in 1855. He was a blacksmith, and followed his trade there until 1861,
when he removed to Sunderlinville, Potter county, where he continued working at
his trade until his death, in 1871. His wife was Sarah A. Burrows, of Otsego
county. New York, and their children were as follows: Andrew J., Albert, Esther,
wife of James Scott; Mary, wife of P. M. Spicer; Ferris L., Orlando, Edward aad
Willis.

Albert Newman, second son of Joseph 0. Fewman, was born in Otsego county.
New York, October 8, 1842. He attended school only two terms, and was prac-
tically reared in his father's blacksmith shop, which trade he has followed since
twelve years of age. In 1855 he came with his parents to Academy Comers, Tioga
county, and in 1861 removed with them to Sunderlinville, Potter county. In
Febraary, 1864, he enlisted in Company L, Second Pennsylvania Cavalry, which
formed a part of the Second Brigade, Second Division, Army of the Potomac, and
when not in the field he performed the duties of a blacksmith. He was in Sheridan's
campaign from the Eapidan to the Wilderness, and was in the engagements at
Cold Harbor, Weldon Eailroad, Spottsylvania, Todd's Tavern, Eiehmond Heights,
Malvern Hill, Jerusalem Plank Eoad, Gaines' Mill, Petersburg, and many others,
. and was honorably discharged from the service, July 22, 1865. He has been located
at Academy Comers, Tioga county, since 1867, where he has carried on the black-
smithing trade. In 1867 he married Mrs. Louisa Ellis, nee Wager, a soldier's widow,
of Sunderlinville, Potter county, and has one son living, Albert J. Politically,
Mr. Newman is a Eepublican.

Oliver L. Wood, a native of New Jersey, bom in 1797, and a son of Oliver
and Phoebe (Gregg) Wood, came from Orange county. New York, to Deerfield town-
ship, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1861, and located on a farm now owned and
occupied by his son, Joseph, consisting of 220 acres. He lived there imtil 1880,
then disposed of his farm to his son, Joseph, and removed to Sussex county. New
Jersey, where he died in 1882, at the age of eighty-five years. His children were
as follows: Absalom S., Oliver H., Phoebe J., wife of E. P. Masterson; Mary A.,
wife of Martin Wilson; William C, Thomas E., Emily, wife of Samuel Christy, and
Joseph.

Joseph Wood, youngest son of Oliver L. Wood, was bom in Orange county.
New York, April 10, 1846, and when fifteen years of age came with his parents to
Deerfield township, Tioga county. He obtained his education in the common
schools and at Whiteman's Academy, Osceola, and has always made farming his
principal occupation. He owns and occupies the old homestead of 220 acres, upon
which his father settled in 1861, which he purchased from the latter in 1880, and
with the exception of two years' residence in Knoxville, he has lived upon this farm



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. g95



since coming to Tioga county. He has been a breeder of Hambletonian horses,
and is now interested in the breeding of Jersey cattle, and is also an extensive
tobacco grower. Mr. "Wood was married February 39, 1870, to Myrtilla Wain-
wright, a daughter of Jacob and Esther (Everitt) "Wainwright, of Deerfield town-
ship, and has four children, viz: Fred. J., Perry L., Edna N. and Russell. In
politics, Mr. "Wood is a Democrat, is a member of "V"alley Grange, of Academy
Corners, and Pomona Grange, of "Wellsboro, P. of H., and is one of the represen-
tative farmers of Deerfield township.

Joseph S. Ingham was born in Monroeton, Bradford county, Pennsylvania,
April 14, 1836, a son of Joseph and Johanna (Blakeley) Ingham, natives of England,
who immigrated to Philadelphia in 1821, and in 1835 removed to Monroeton. His
father there engaged in the manufacture of woolens, and also in lumbering, until
1863, when he settled in Deerfield township, Tioga county, purchasing the woolen
mills now owned by his son, Joseph S. He continued in the manufacture of woolen
goods until his death, December 35, 1869, at the age of seventy-three years. His
widow survived until August, 1888, dying at the age of eighty-six. They reared
the following children: Martha, who died in childhood; Elizabeth, who married
John G. Mason; James B., who was killed at the battle of Antietam, September
17, 1863; George "W., Henry H., Harriet A., who married Warren Landon; Joseph
S., Euth A., who married Omal Kellogg; Cecelia E., second wife of "Warren Landon,
and Alice. In religious belief, Mr. Ingham was a follower of Swedenborg, and in
politics, he was a stanch Eepublican. The subject of this sketch was reared in Brad-
ford county, and obtained his education in public and private schools. He later
commenced clerking in a general store, and in 1858 embarked in the mercantile
business at Monroeton, Pennsylvania, but at the end of a year his store was burned.
He then engaged as a traveling salesman for a flouring mill, at which he con-
tinued until 1861. On August 10th of that year, he enlisted in the Fiftieth
Pennsylvania Volunteers, and went to the front as second lieutenant of Company
K, his brother, James B., being captain of the same company. In August, 1863,
he was transferred as first lieutenant of Company B, same regiment, and com-
manded that company until his resignation, in November, 1863, on account of
sickness, doing the duty of captain and drawing a captain's pay. During his term
of service he was detailed as a recruiting officer until January, 1863. He par-
ticipated in the battles of Pocotaligo (where he was in command of the left skirmish
Hne), Second Bull Eun, Chantilly, South Mountain and Antietam. In 1863 he
came to Deerfield tovmship, Tioga county, with his parents, where he has since
been engaged in farming, manufacturing woolen goods, cider and jelly. His two
sons have been connected with him in business since 1887, under the firm name of
J. S. Ingham & Sons. On November 10, 1863, Mr. Ingham married Isabella M.
Purple, who was bom May 39, 1839, in the court house of Potter county, a daughter
of Ansel and Maria (Howard) Purple, of Deerfield township. Her father was a
pioneer of Potter county, Pennsylvania, was the first sheriff of that county, and
later settled at Purple Brook, on the line of "Westfield and Brookfield townships,
Tioga county, which place was named in his honor. Mrs. Ingham is the mother
of two sons, Daniel P. and Ansel Grant. The former married Nellie Howland, and
has one son, Lawrence. Ansel Grant married E. May Dunham, of Knoxville. Mr.



896 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.



Ingham is ,a staacli Eepublican, has filled the oface of auditor of Deerfield for
seventeen years and is at present holding that position. He has cleared up the
township debt twice, and thus proven himself a good financier. He was transcribing
clerk of the House during the legislative sessions of 1874-75. He is a Eoyal Arch
Mason, and is also a member of the G. A. R., the K. of H. and the Grange. In
the summer of 1896 he developed on his land one of the finest stone quarries in
the county, for the product of which there is considerable demand in New York
and Pennsylvania.

William L. Meekick was bom in Potter county, Pennsylvania. His father,
Moses Merrick, was an early settler of Middlebury township, Tioga county, where
William L. was reared to manhood and partially cleared a farm. He later removed
to Chatham township, where he died in 1887, aged seventy years. His wife was
Caroline Whitney, a daughter of Jeremiah Whitney, of Middlebury township, Tioga
county. They reared five children, as follows: Fidelia, who married Erastus Rice;
Wheeler 0., Bradford W., E. Moses, who died from wounds received at the battle
of Cold Harbor, and Eannie, wife of Ira Mourey. Mr. Merrick and wife were mem-
bers of the Methodist Episcopal church, and in politics, he was a Democrat.

Beadfoed W. Meeeick, son of William L. Merrick, was bom in Middlebury
township, Tioga county, March 19, 1842. He was reared in this county, and ob-
tained his education in the common schools. On August 4, 1862, he enlisted in
Company A, One Hundred and Thirty-sixth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was
honorably discharged after nine months' service. In the fall of 1864 he re-enlisted
in Company C, Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry, and served until mustered out in
August, 1865. He participated in the battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville,
and all of the engagements of the final campaign of the Army of the Potomac,
ending with the surrender of Lee at Appomattox. Prom the close of the war until
his death Mr. Merrick was engaged in famaing in Deerfield township. In 1866
he married Emily E. Howland, a daughter of Joseph and Lucy (Rexford) Howland,
of Chatham township, who bore him three children: Philip H., Fred. J. and Daniel
W. Mr. Merrick was a stanch Democrat, and a member of the G. A. R., the K. of
H. and the Grange. He died June 1, 1896, from diseases contracted in the army.

William Wagnee was born in Steuben county, ISTew York, December 23, 1842,
a son of Inglehart and Christina (Collier) Wagner, and is of German and English
extraction. His paternal grandfather, Abraham Wagner, was a native of Germany,
and a pioneer of Steuben county. William was reared in his native county, was
educated in the common schools, and on attaining his majority clerked in a store,
and later engaged in farming in Deerfield township, Tioga county, where he has
resided since 1870. In May, 1868, he married Maria Howland, a daughter of Eddy
and Charlotte (Rexford) Howland, of Deerfield township, and has one son living,
Eddy H. The latter has developed a rare taste for Indian and ancestral relics,
and, although but sixteen years of age, has gathered a collection to be proud of.
Mr. Wagner resides with his wife and son on the Eddy Howland homestead. In
politics, he is a Democrat, and has held the ofiice of school director nine years. He
is a member of the E. A. U., and a charter member of the Grange organized at
Academy Comers in 1889.

Ebbnezee a. Bean was born in Centreville, Allegany county, New York,




^^.^r <v^n>^jp/^^^^^«-*'^



BIOGKAPHICAL SKETCHES. "^ 897



April 10, 1844, a son of Orson and Clara (Van Buren) Bean. He was reared in his
native coimty, and obtained a common school education. On August 9, 1863, when
but eighteen jears of age, he enlisted in Company F, One Hundred and Thirtieth
New York Volunteers, from which he was transferred with his regiment, in July,

1863, to the First New York Dragoons. He participated in the battle of Deserted
Farm, near Black Water, Virginia, where he was wounded in the right hand, losing
his thumb, and also in other engagements, and was honorably discharged April 1,

1864. He then engaged in farming in Allegany county. New York, until 1875,
when he removed to Deerfield township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he has
since resided. For the past twenty years he has operated a cheese factory in Deer-
field, and a similar factory in Austinburg, for twelve y^ars. These factories have
a combined annual product of 200,000 pounds. Since the spring of 1895 he has
operated the West Farmington Cheese Factory, in Farmington township. Its annual
output is 70,000 pounds. Mr. Bean was married May 18, 1890, to Abbie C. Knox,

,a daughter of Archibald D. and Julia A. (White) Knox, of Deerfield township. He
is a member of the F. & A. M., also of Lafayette Hose Company, of Knoxville, and
in politics, is a Republican.

William A. jACKSOisr, son of Asa and Mary Jackson, was bom in Sullivan
township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, August 1, 1833, and grew to manhood on his
father's farm, his parents being pioneer settlers of that township. He was married
December 30, 1856, to Susan Slocum, bom August 1, 1838, in Dutchess county,
New York, a daughter of John P. and Eliza T. Slocum, who settled in Chatham
township, Tioga county, about 1843, on the farm where Mrs. Jackson now resides.
After his marriage, Mr. Jackson resided in Shippen township three years, and then
removed to Chatham township, where he followed farming until his death, Oc-
tober 23, 1891. Seven children were bom to Mr. and Mrs. Jackson, viz: Henry C,
a resident of Deerfield township; Anna E., wife of David Short; Lewis, deceased;
Lelia, A., wife of Frank Husted; Wilbur A., of Deerfield township; Tyna B., wife
of Fred. Walker, and Delia M. During the war Mr. Jackson served as a corporal
in Company G, One Hundred and Forty-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteers, partici-
pating with his regiment in numerous battles and skirmishes. He was taken
prisoner at the battle of Gettysburg, but was paroled on the field. In politics, he
was a Eepublican, and was a member of the G. A. R. and the K. of H.



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 121 of 163)