Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 124 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 124 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


M., and Westfield Chapter, No. 265, of Westfield, and Tyagaghton Commandery,
No. 28, of Wellsboro. In politics, he is a Eepublican, and has taken an active
interest in local political afEairs for many years.

Theodore Tremain was born in Lindley, Steuben county. New York, April
10, 1825, a son of Lyman and Sophia Tremain. He removed with his parents to
Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and for many years was engaged in farming in Law-
rence and Westfield townships. He has been a resident of Cowanesque valley
since 1877. Mr. Tremain has been t^vice married. His. first wife was Josephine
Sprague, a daughter of Thomas and Keziali (Warren) Sprague, of Westfield, who
became the mother of three children, viz: Herman, E. Augustus and Samuel.
His second wife was Hannah Eeynolds, who bore him two children: Josephine,
wife of William Kress, and Lyman H. Politically, he is a Prohibitionist.

James Masten, M. D., was bom in Penn Yan, New York, May 26, 1827, a son
of Cornelius and Maria (Vosburg) Masten. His father was a prominent lawyer of
his day, and during President Van Buren's administration he was president judge
of Yates county. New York, and was also for a number of years president of Yates
County Academy. The maternal grandfather of our subject was Gen. Peter I.



912 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Vosburg, of Stuyvesant, New York, who distinguished himself ia the War of the
Kevolution. Cornelius Masten at one time was the owner of valuable tracts of
timber lands in Warren county, Pennsylavnia, which have since become valuable
as oil producing territory. Dr. Hasten was educated at the Yates County Academy,
and the Military University at Norwich, Vermont. He commenced the study of
medicine with Drs. A. P. & W. Oliver, of Penn Yan, New York, and attended lectures
at Buffalo Medical College. He began the practice of his profession at White's
Comers, Potter county, Pennsylvania, in 1849, remaining there for eleven years.
In 1860 he located at Westfield, Tioga county, where he has since resided, having
attained a front rank in the practice of his profession. Dr. Masten was married
April 9, 1851, to Nancy C. Manning, a daughter of Lewis and Amanda M. (Gilbert)
Manning, of Harrison Valley, Pennsylvania, and grand-daughter of Eev. John D.
Gilbert, a distinguished divine of the Protestant Episcopal church. Dr. Masten
and wife are the parents of six children, five of whom grew to maturity, viz: Nor-
man L., Ida E., wife of Dr. W. E. Francis; Edward S. and Effie, twins, the latter
the wife of Isaac Taft, and Frank G., a graduate of the University of Buffalo, and
the Western Pennsylvania Medical College of Pittsburg. He also has a diploma
from the New York Polyclinic School, and began the practice of medicine in 1891,
and is now located at Westfield. He was married February 18, 1896, in New York
City, to Miss Amy Stead. The subject of this sketch is an active member of the
Masonic order, with which he has been prominently connected since 1853. He is
a member of Westfield Lodge and Chapter, being secretary of the latter, and is a
charter member of both organizations. Dr. Masten was censor, vice president, and
president of the old Tioga County Medical Society while it was in existence, and is at
present a member of the State Medical Society and the Elmira Academy of Medicine.
In 1884 he was appointed postmaster of Westfield by President Cleveland, and filled
the office four years. He has been a life-long Democrat, as was his father, and a
stanch advocate of Democratic principles. He has done considerable work as a
correspondent of various newspapers, and has also written a history of Westfield.
During the Rebellion he drilled the first members of the famous Bucktail regiment
LQ Tioga county, and has always taken a deep interest in military affairs. As a
physician. Dr. Masten is widely known, being the oldest practitioner in the north-
western part of Tioga county, where he has enjoyed for many years a large and
lucrative practice. He is now president of the Cowanesque Valley Agricultural
and Fair Association, and has given much attention to the gi-owth and progress of
agriculture.

William N. HI^ELB^T was bom in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, April 8, 1835,
third son of Lyman Hurlbut. He came with his parents to Tioga county in the
spring of 1856, and five years later removed to Lawrence township. He was edu-
cated in the public schools of his native county and at Wyoming Seminary. In
1862 he embarked in merchandising at Westfield, as a member of the firm of E.
Krusen & Company, which partnership lasted two years. He then removed to
Cowanesque village and formed a partnership with E. Skinner and Ira Edgcomb,
under the firm name of E. Skinner & Company, general merchants, and manu-
facturers of doors, sash and blinds, in which he was engaged for ten years. He
then returned to Westfield as a member of the firm of E. Krusen & Company, and




JAMES CHAMPLIN.



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 913



followed the lumber business until July, 1889. At that time he was appointed
postmaster of Westfield, was re-appointed on December 37, 1891, and filled the
position up to the close of 1895. Mr. Hurlbut was married January 18, 1869, to
Helen Close, a daughter of George and Eachel (Miller) Close, of Westfield, and
has three children, viz: Satie B., Nellie and Fred. In politics, a Eepublican, he
has been a school director of Westfield for twenty consecutive years. Mr. Hurlbut
is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and is one of the enterprising,
well-known citizens of Westfield.

Isaac Plank, third son of Lovel Plank, Sr., was born at Penis Hill, Oneida
county. New York, in 1817, and removed with his parents to Brookfield township,
Tioga county, where he received a common school education. He cleared a farm
in that township, and followed agriculture until 1875, when he removed to West-
field and embarked in merchandising, which he followed for two years, and then
retired from business. He married Sally Ann Smith, a daughter of David and
Catherine (Duscheimer) Smith, of Harrison township. Potter county, to which
union were born five children, viz: Catherine, wife of Henry Wood; Lovel,
Devalience, Hajvey, and Lydia, wife of, Tyler Spaulding. Mrs. Plank was a mem-
ber of the Methodist church, and died July 34, 1859, aged forty-two years. In
politics, Mr. Plank was a Eepublican, and held various offices in Brookfield and
Westfield, and always took an active interest in public affairs. He was constable
and collector for many years, and at one time was personally acquainted with nearly
every voter in the county. He was a great favorite with the young, and was
familiarly known as "Uncle Isaac."' Mr. Plank died May 6, 1883, aged sixty-seven
years, dying as he had lived, a consistent member of the Baptist church.

Lovel Plank, eldest son of Isaac and Sally Ann Plank, was born in Brook-
field township, Tioga county, July 36, 1843, and grew to manhood iipon the old
homestead. Shortly after attaining his majority, he enlisted in Company D, Two
Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, which was assigned to the Third
Brigade, Third Division, Ninth Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, and participated
in the battles of Port Stedman, Petersburg, Hatcher's Eun, and other minor engage-
ments, and was honorably discharged from the service May 13, 1865. In 1866
he located in Westfield, Tioga county, where he embarked in the grocery business,
which he continued for ten years, when he added thereto a stock of dry goods and
carried on a general store until 1883. In that year he engaged extensively as a dealer
in all kinds of agricultural implements, wagons, buggies, harness, etc., in which
he has since successfully continued. The firm of L. Plank & Company also carries
on the leading undertaking and furniture establishment in this section of the
county, keeping as fine a line of goods as is usually found in large cities. Mr.
Plank is also interested in other industries of Westfield. He owns and occupies for
business purposes the finest block in the borough, which he erected in 1885 on the
same site where he commenced business nearly twenty years before. On August 37,
1868, Mr. Plank married Mary A. Hancock, a daughter of Warren and Claxissa
(Hill) Hancock, of Clymer township, and has three children: Lydia, Burt B. and
Isaac W. In politics, Mr. Plank is a Eepublican, was the first burgess of Westfield,
and has served three consecutive terms in that office. He is a member of Babcock
Post, No. 258, G. A. E., of Westfield: Westfield Lodge, No. 477, P. & A. M.; West-

58



9;l4 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.



field Chapter, No. 265; Tyagaghton Commandery, No. 28, of Wellsboro, and
Jemison Lodge, I. 0. 0. F., of Westfield. He was one of the founders of the
Cowanesque Agricultural Society, of which he was president for several years, and
it owes much of its success to his liberality and efforts. Mr. Plank is now the
pioneer business man of Westfield and is recognized as one of the progressive and
public-spirited citizens of the Cowanesque valley.

Harvey Plank, the youngest son of Isaac and Sally Ann Plank, was bom
in Brookfield township, Tioga county, June 19, 1847, and was reared and educated
in his native township. After attaining his majority, he engaged in farming until
1883, when he removed to Westfield borough and embarked in the sash and blind
manufacturing business, as a member of the firm of E. Krusen & Company, which
he continued for two years. He then became a drover and stock dealer, which he
followed five years. In 1891 he carried on a meat market in Westfield, and has
since been engaged in various pursuits. Mr. Plank was married in 1871, to Jean E.
McCoy, a daughter of Hiram and Appia (Coffin) McCoy, of Brookfield township,
and has one daughter, Hattie. Politically, he is an earnest Eepubliean, and is a
member of the Iv. of H.

Feank P"]beele was bom in Bavaria, Germany, April 28, 1843, a son of Joseph
and Fanny (Schalkohn) Eberle. The Eberle family were tanners for many gen-
erations, while his mother came from an old and wealthy family of brewers. Frank
was reared and educated in his native land, and there served an apprenticeship of
three years at the tanners trade in his father's tannery and under his father's
instruction, and subsequently worked two years as a cun-ier. In 1866 he immi-
grated to Baltimore, Maryland, where he worked in his brother's tannery one
year, as a currier, and in 1867 he located in Westfield, Tioga county, Pennsylvania.
He continued working at his trade for six months and then purchased the old
tannery property of Ambrose Close, at that time almost completely run down.
With characteristic enterprise and energy, Mr. Eberle soon remodeled and equipped
the tannery with modem appliances and machinery, and gradually built up a suc-
cessful business, his product, upper leather and harness leather, finding a ready
market in the east, principally in New York City. Mr. Eberle's great energy was
manifested on many occasions. During the flood of 1889 he suffered a loss of over
$8,000, by the washing away of all his vats, bams and storehouses, but he imme-
diately rebuilt the plant, which is to-day one of the best appointed and equipped
tanneries in the State. On September 8, 1873, Mr. Eberle was married to Mary
H. Jeager, a daughter of Alouis and Crescence (Lang) Jeager, of Germania, Potter
county, to which union were bom four children, viz: Joseph F., who has charge
of the tannery; Frank and Fannie C, both deceased, and Cressie C. Mr. Eberle died
April 16, 1895, almost in the prime of life. In his death Westfield lost one of its
most substantial and useful citizens. In all that goes to make true manhood and
the higher success in life he was a shining example. A kind father and husband,
a good neighbor and a charitable man, he won and retained the respect of those
who knew him best. He was the moving spirit in the erection of the new Episcopal
church at Westfield and was an indefatigable worker in church affairs. He was
ever ready to assist the needy and lend a helping hand to those startling in life. In
polities, he was a Eepubliean, and was a member of the Knights of Honor. His



BIOGHAPHICAL SKETCHES. 915



son, Joseph F., is following in his father's footsteps, having served an apprentice-
ship at the tanner's trade in all its branches, and has now the general supervision
of the business.

Geokge Bulkley, third son of Israel Bulkley, was born in what is now Osceola,
Tioga county, October 2, 1801. He was reared on the old homestead; was a natural
mechanic, and for some years carried on a general blacksmith and wagon shop.
He also owned ajid conducted a farm, and had a fine orchard in which he took much
pride, but his taste was for mechanical pursuits. About 1823 he married Laura
P. Whitaker. of Osceola, formerly of Eh ode Island, who became the mother of nine
children, seven of whom grew to maturity, viz: Olivia C, who married Julius
Seelye; Sarah F., who married Ira D. Hotchkiss; Lucy M., who married Augustus
Alba; Edwin B., Hannah, who married Jerome S. Warner; Julia, deceased, and
Ralph. In early life Mr. Bulkley was a Whig, but was a stanch Eepublican from
the organization of that party. He died January 17, 1867.

Edwin B. Bulkley, eldest son of George and Laura B. Bulkley, was born in
Osceola, Tioga county, June 2, 1835. He was reared on the old homestead; edu-
cated in the common schools and at Deerfield Academy, and began life as a farmer
upon the home place. On March 25, 1862, he enlisted in Company K, Eighty-
sixth New York Volunteers, and was honorably discharged from the service October
18, 1862, because of disability through typhoid fever. In 1868 he located at West-
field, where he has since resided. Mr. Bulkley has been twice married. His first
wife was Delia H. Ellison, a daughter of Eichard and Jane (Hazlett) Ellison, of
ITelson, Tioga county, who bore him one son, Ira E. The latter married Maude
Williams. Mr. Bulkleys second marriage occurred March 30, 1864, to Malvina
Doud, a daughter of Harrison and Emily (Miller) Doud, of Lenoxville, Susque-
hanna county, Pennsylvania. She is the mother of three children, viz: Emily,
wife of James Streeter; George H., who married Eachel Strait, and Charles E.
Mrs. Bulkley's father, Harrison Doud, was a member of the Thirteenth Pennsyl-
vania Cavalry, and was a prisoner in Libby prison foiP some time. Her brother,
George H. Doud, also served three years and ten months in the late war. Mr.
Bulkley is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, while his wife is an
Episcopalian. He is one of the charter members of Westfield Lodge, No. 477, P.
& A. M., and is also a member of Babcock Post, No. 258, G. A. E., of Westfield.
In politics, he is a Eepublican.

Lyman Hancock was born in Lebanon, Madison county. New York, in 1799,
removed to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1836, and settled in Clymer township.
He cleared a portion of a farm from the wilderness, and resided upon it until 1868,
when he removed to Westfield, where he died in 1882. His wife, Ehoda Ide, bore
him a family of seven children who grew to maturity, viz: Electa, who married
Freeman Wilcox; Sophronia, second wife of Freeman Wilcox; J. Warren, John,
Oliver, Lyman and William.

James Waeeen Hancock, eldest son of Lyman and Ehoda (Ide) Hancock,
was bom in Lebanon, Madison county. New York, July 5, 1830, and came to Tioga
county with his parents when six years of age. He was reared in Clymer town-
ship, and cleai'ed about sixty acres of the home farm before he was of age, his father
having been an invalid from the time our subject was thirteen years old, and never



916 HISTOKT OF TIOGA COUNTY.



afterward able to work. He obtained a limited education in the common schools
of his neighborhood; learned the carpenter's trade, and has followed that business
since attaining his majority. He lived in Clymer township until 1870, in which
year he removed to Westfield, where he has since resided. In March, 1864, he
enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Eighty-seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers,
and paoiicipated in the battles oi Petersburg, Weldon Eailroad, and other minor
engagements, and was honorably discharged from the service in August, 1865. In
1851 Mr. Hancock married Clarissa, a daughter of Harry M. and Luna (Cobum)
Hill, of Clymer township, and has two children: Mary, wife of Lovel Plank, and
Clarence. In polities, he is an ardent Republicaji, and a member of Babcock Post,
No. 258, G. A. E., of Westfield. He is also connected with Westfield Lodge. No.
477, F. & A. M., and Westfield Chapter, No. 365, E. A. M.

William Kizeb was born in Greenwich, Sussex county. New Jersey, March
7, 1808, and came from Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, to Farmington township,
Tioga county, in 1845. Here he cleared and improved a farm, on which he resided
until his death, in 1866. His wife was Susannah M. Stocker, a native of Easton,
Pennsylvania, whom he married in Wilkes-Barre, February 7, 1836. She bore
him a family of nine children, all of whom are living, viz: Morris, Delilah, wife
of Samuel Satterlee; Wairen H., William M., Frances A., wife of John J. Mascho;
John A., Mary A., wife of Charles Stansborough; Charles C. and Legrand E.
Mr. Kizer was a Eepubliean, and a stanch adherent of his party.

William Morgan Kizeb, third son of William and SusannahM. Kizer, was bom
in Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, August 17, 1843, and was reared in Farmington
township, Tioga county, from the age of three years. He attended the common
schools of his neighborhood, and was engaged in farming, and later in butchering,
in Westfield and Wellsboro. Since 1869 he has been a resident of Westfield, where
he followed farming and merchandising until he finally retired from active busi-
ness. On May 6, 1862, he enlisted in Company L, Second Pennsylvania Cavalry,
and participated in most of the battles of the Army of the Potomac, including
Fredericksburg, Gettysburg and the Wilderness. He received a bayonet woimd
at Eeam's Station, August 31, 1864; was taken prisoner, and confined in Libby,
Danville and Salisbury prisons until March, 1865. He was then paroled, and was
honorably discharged from the service May 30, 1865. Mr. Kizer was married April
1, 1866, to Nettie Tubbs, a daughter of Samuel and Mary E. (Lewis) Tubbs, of
Brookfield township, Tioga county, and has one son, Samuel T., who married
Bertha Pritchard, of Westfield. Mr. Kizer is a member of the Methodist Episcopal
church, and his wife of the Universalist church. In polities, he is a EepubUcan,
and is connected with the G. A. E., and the P. of H.

Joseph P. Simmons was born at Italy Hill, Yates county New York, February
13, 1838, a son of Peter and Sarah (Perry) Simmons. He was reared in West
Union, Steuben county. New York, attended the common schools during his boy-
hood, and commenced life as a farmer in West Union. In 1864 he embarked in
the mercantile business at Oswayo, Potter county, Pennsylvania, but after six
months removed to White's Comers, same county, and engaged in general mer-
chandising and farming for eight years. In 1873 he located at Westfield, Tioga
county, where he has since continued the mercantile business. His wife was Lucy



BIOGKAPHICAL SKETCHES. 917



M. Mosher, a daughter of Lola Mosher, of Big Flats, Chemung county, New York,
to whom have been born two sons: George H. and Arthur "W. Mr. Simmons is a
member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and the E. A. U., and in politics, he is
a supporter of the Eepublican party.

George H. Simmons, eldest son of Joseph P. Simmons, was born in Coming,
Steuben county. New York, September 2, 1857. He was reared in New York and
Pennsylvania, and was educated in the common schools and at Alfred UniTersity.
He came to Westfield with his parents in 1873, and in 1879 embarked in the livery
business, which he has since continued. He was married September 11, 1878, to
Fannie L. Packard, a daughter of Peter M. Packard, of Oxford, New York. Mr.
Simmons is a member of the F. & A. M., and the K. 0. T. M. He is a stanch Ee-
publican, and has served seven consecutive years as constable of "Westfield borough.

William H. Paesons was born in what is now Gallatin, Columbia county,
New York, July 4, 1827, and is a son of Joshua and Maria (Miller) Parsons, who
were of Scotch and Holland Dutch descent. He was reared in his native county,
receivd a limited education in the common schools, and served five j^ears' apprentice-
ship at the tailor's trade at Hudson, New York. After working as a journeyman
three years in Hudson, he removed in 1850 to Lanesboro, Susquehanna county,
Pennsylvania, where he carried on business for himself thirteen years. He was
afterwards located in business at TJnadilla, Gilbertville and Stamford, New York,
and ia 1872 settled in "Westfield, Tioga county, where he has since conducted a
merchant tailoring business. Mr. Parsons has been twice married. His first wife
was Elizabeth Baker, a daughter of Lewis Baker, of Lanesboro, Pennsylvania,
who became the mother of three children: George A., William H., and Frank
P. His second wife was Antoinette Flint, a daughter of Henry Flint, of
Unadilla, New York, to which union has been bom six children, namely:
Alice, Lester, Edwin, Anna B., Vanness and Charles J. His wife and family are
members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Parsons is a Eepublican, and
has held various offices in Westfield, having served nine successive years as school
director, and is now serving his sixteenth year as justice of the peace.

Chkistophee Satles was bom in Burrellsville, Ehode Island, January 18,
1791, a son of Christopher and Martha (Brown) Sayles. He was of the fourth genera-
tion from John Sayles, who came to America from England in the Seventeenth
century, and a great-grandson of Eoger Williams. He was reared in his native
town, and spent three years in "Vermont, where he learned the blacksmith's trade.
In March, 1825, he removed with his family to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, settling
in Delmar township, where he followed his trade until 1828. He then purchased
a farm on Jemison creek, in Westfield township, and conducted a farm in connection
with his trade until 1856, when he removed to a farm near the village of West-
field. In 1863 he went to Wellsville, New York, where he lived for eighteen years.
Eetuming to Westfield township in 1881, he made his home with his daughter,
Mrs. Keziah Bateheller, until his death, July 10, 1884, in his ninety-fourth year.
His wife, Sarah, was a daughter of James and Eoby (Howland) King, of Ehode
Island, and a descendant of John Howland and Govemor Winston, of Massachu-
setts, who came over in the Mayflower in 1620. She bore him a family of eight
children, who grew to maturity, viz: Ira, Eoby, who married Henry Crandall;



918 HISTOET or TIOGA COUNTY.

James, Loren, Martha, who married Joseph Pickett; Philander, Keziah, who mar-
ried Harrison Bateheller, and Adriel K. Mr. Sayles is one of the well remembered
pioneers of the community.

Adeiel K. Sayles, youngest son of Christopher and Sarah Sayles, was born
in Westfield township, Tioga county, December 9, 1832. He was reared in his
native township, learned the blacksmith's trade with his brother James and others,
and afterwards followed that business for twelve years as a journeyman. He served
in the Eebellion three years, as a sergeant of Company A, of the famous Bucktail
regiment, enlisting in 1861 and being honorably discharged in 1864. Mr. Sayles
was woimded at Spottsylvania Court House, and participated in nearly every battle
in which his regiment was engaged during his term of service. In 1865 he estab-
lished a blacksmith shop at Edgcomb, and for more than twenty years he has carried
on the same business at Westfield, doing the leading business in his line in the bor-
ough. In 1862 he married Martha Bennett, a daughter of John and Betsy (ShoufE)
Beimett, of Elkland, and has two sons: Edmund K., and Elmer T. Mr. Sayles is
a stanch Eepublican, is a member of Babcock Post, Ko. 358, G. A. E., and is con-
nected with Westfield Lodge, JSTo. 477, and Westfield Chapter, No. 365, P. & A. M.

Aethtje L. Bottum, M. D., was born in what is now Nelson township, Tioga
county, Pennsylvania, April 19, 1847, and is a son of Walter C. and Content (Culver)
Bottum. His father was born in Connecticut in 1805, was a son of Clark and
Hannah (Clark) Bottum, and came to Tioga county in 1839, his parents coming
later and settling in Nelson township. Walter C. was extensively engaged in the
lumber business for upwards of thirty years, and during this period he erected
three saw-mills in the Cowanesque valley. He also cleared and improved a farm



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 124 of 163)