Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 125 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 125 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


in Nelson township, upon which he resided until 1861, when he removed to Wood-
hull, Steuben county. New York. In 1886 he returned to Tioga county, and made
his home with his son in Westfield until his death, which occurred in 1890, in the
eighty-fifth year of his age. His wife was a daughter of Amasa Culver, a native of
New England and a suiweyor by profession. Her father was one of the pioneers
of Tioga county, and owned at one time a portion of the land now embraced in
Wellsboro. Mrs. Content Bottum, mother of our subject, was bom in what is now
Nelson township, Tioga county, in 1810, and was one of six pupils which formed
the first private school in that section of the county. She was the mother of six
children, as follows: Dorothea, Sarah, who married Samuel Hazlett; Hannah, who
married Lester Dorrance; Cornelia, who married T. A. Patterson; Clark, and
Arthur L. The last mentioned was reared in Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and
Steuben county. New York, and received an academical education at the Knoxville
and Woodhull Academies. In 1871 he began the study of medicine with Dr. Wil-
liam T. Humphrey, of Osceola, Tioga county, later took a course of lectures at the
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, and was graduated from the Detroit Medical
College, Detroit, Michigan, in 1875. In the spring of that year he located at West-
field, where he continued to practice for nine years. He then went to Europe
and took a special course at the Eoyal Imperial Hospital of Vienna, whence
he returned to Westfield to continue his professional duties. Dr. Bottum has
built up an extensive and lucrative practice, and is recognized as one of the
leading physicians of his native county. In 1891 he established a private hospital



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 919



in Westfield, for special diseases of women and surgery, which has proven a success-
ful venture. On April 13, 1876, Dr. Bottum was married to Lettia, daughter of
David and Isabel (Tate) Webber, of Westiield, and has two children: Charles N.,
and Content A. The Doctor was a member of the old Tioga County Medical Society
during its existence, and in June, 1896, he was elected president of the present
society. He is a member of the State Medical Society, and has always taken a deep
interest in the groiwth and progress of medical science. He is an ardent supporter
of the Eepublican party, and is connected with the I. 0. 0. P., the K. of H., and the
K. 0. T. M.

Joseph Fhbdeeick Etjgaber was bom at Hazleton, Luzerne county, Penn-
sylvania, June 16, 1855, a son of Christian Z. and Mary Gr. (Pfiuger) Rugaber, natives
of Wurtemburg, Germany. His father came to Pennsylvania in 1853, and located
at Hazleton, removing in 1857 to Germania, Potter county, where he cleared a farm
from the wilderness. He was one of the pioneers of that section and took an active
part in building the first public highways in his vicinity. He served in the Re-
bellion one year, as a member of Company D, Two Hundred and Seventh Pennsyl-
vania Volunteers, and was honorably discharged at the close of the war. He was
the father of ten children, as follows: C. Henry, J. Frederick, Minnie, who married
C. N. Rawson; Christian G., Sophia B., who married Cyrus Quick; Pauline C, who
married Fred Hagemann; George "W., Gottlieben D., who married John McKay;
John, and Mary M., wife of Fred Daggett. Mr. Rugaber died in 1885. The sub-
ject of this sketch was reared on the homestead in Germania, Potter county, and
graduated from the Wellsboro Academy in 1873. In 1873 he entered on an appren-
ticeship to the shoemaker's trade, and served three years. In 1876 he engaged in
the shoe business at Westfield, as a member of the firm of ISTorthrup & Rugaber,
which partnership existed until 1881. In that year he purchased the plant of the
Free Press, at Westfield, which he canied on successfully for ten years, enlarging
the subscription list from 300 to 1,000 in a short time, and changing the sheet from
a four to an eight-page paper. He sold the plant in 1891, and has since conducted
a job printing office in Westfield. Since 1893 he has also been proprietor of a variety
store. In 1883 he married Sophia Baur, a daughter of John J. and Amelia Baur,
of Elmira, New York. They have four children: Charles F., Emma, Arthur and
Walter. Mr. Rugaber is a member of the Lutheran church; is a Republican in
politics, and is connected with Jemison Lodge, I. 0. 0. P., of Westfield, Westfield
Encampment, Canton Keystone of Wellsboro, the P. & A. M. and the K. 0. T. M,

Edwaed M. Tttckee, president of the Farmers and Traders Bank, of Westfield,
was born in Tr'oupsburg, Steuben county. New York, February 31, 1839, a son of
John and Lydia (Farwell) Tucker. His paternal grandparents, Daniel and Sally
J. (Mackenzie) Tucker, were of Scotch ancestry, and were among the pioneers of
Chenango county, New York, where they eleai-ed a farm from the primitive forest
which is still in the possession of their descendants. Dajiiel Tucker was the yoimg-
est of several brothers who served in the Revolution, two of whom died in the ser-
vice. The maternal grandparents of our subject, Abram M. and Lydia (Jackson)
Farwell, were of Puritan stock. His father, John Tucker, was bom in Chenango
county. New York, May 8, 1797, and removed to Steuben county in 1837, where
he engaged in lumbering. He afterwards followed agricultural pursuits and cleared



920 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

a farm which is still owned by the family. He was the father of eight children,
five of whom grew to maturity and are now living, as follows: EdAvard M., Jeannette,
wife of L. A. Williams; Daniel A., Catherine S., wife of Oscar P. Spencer, and
Naomi. The subject of this sketch was reared on the old homestead in Steuben
county, New York, was educated in the common schools and Oxford Academy,
and commenced life as a farmer in his native county, where he resided until 1871.
In that year he came to I'ioga county, Pennsylvania, and in 1872 embarked in
merchandising at Little Marsh, in which he continued until 1877, when he removed
to Westfield. Here he followed the mercantile business in connection with the pur-
chase of tan bark for the Osceola tannery until 1885, when he became the leading
spirit in establishing the Farmers and Traders Bank of Westfield, the only banking
house in the borough. It proved a successful business venture, and is recognized
as a solid, substantial institution. Mr. Tucker was married in 1863, to Esther M.
Perry, a daughter of Wooster and Maria (Lucas) Perry, of Woodhull, Steuben
county, New York. They are the parents of two children: Ema L., wife of W. E.
Westbrook, and Perry H. Politically, Mr. Tucker is a Eepublican, and is a member
of Ossea Lodge, No. 357, P. & A. M., of Wellsboro. He is a progressive and enter-
prising citizen, and has shown his public spirit in many ways since locating in
Westfield.

John Wesley Smith was bom in Wayne, Steuben county. New York, Pebruary
1 1, 1852, a son of Benjamin and Lydia J. Smith. His father was a native of England,
and came to the United States with his parents in childhood. He was reared in
Steuben county. New York, learned the carriage maker's trade, and carried on a
shop of his own. He married Lydia J. Smith, a native of Orange county. New
York, where her parents were pioneers. Three children were born to this union,
viz: John Wesley, George S., deceased, and Carrie, wife of Edward Kniskem, of
Elmira. In religion, Mr. Smith was a Methodist, and both he and his wife took
a deep interest in church affairs. He died Pebruary 23, 1890, aged seventy-two
years. His widow resides in Wayne, New York. The subject of this sketch was
reared in his native place, was educated in the public schools, and began his busi-
ness life in 1876 as manager of Strock's Hotel, Woodhull, New York, where he
remained two years. In the spring of 1878 he came to Westfield, Tioga county, as
manager of the Westfield House, and in November of the same year purchased the
hotel, which he has successfully conducted up to the present time. Mr. Smith was
married September 3,1876 , to Maria "VanGorden, a daughter of J. D. VanGorden,
of Barrington, New York. One daughter, Inez, was born to this union, but died
in infancy. Mr. Smith is a member of Westfield Lodge, No. 477, P. & A, M.;
also of Westfield Chapter, No. 263, and Tyagaghton Commandery, No. 38, of Wells-
boro. Politically, he is a Democrat, and is recognized as one of the progressive
citizens of Westfield.

Henry Pick was born in Prussia, Germany, March 30, 1847, a son of Prederick
and Mary (Wilson) Eick, who came to America in 1868 and located in Hancock,
Sullivan county. New York. In 1877 they removed to Westfield, Tioga county,
Pennsylvania, where they spent the remaining years of their lives. They had a
family of five children, viz: Henry, Mary, wife of Hugh McNellen; Eicka, deceased;
Minnie, wife of Henry Eoner, and Betty, wife of John Weeks. The subject of this



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES.



921



sketch was reared in his native land, remaining there until 1873, and then immi-
grated to Sullivan county, New York, where he worked in a tannery three years.
In 1875 he located at Westfield, Tioga county, where he has since been in the
employ of the Cowanesque tannery, and has held the position of foreman since
1880. Mr. Eick married Augusta Taggie, a daughter of John and Dora Taggie,
of Germany. Ten children have been born to this union, viz: Charles, Fred., Otto,
deceased; Frank, Willie, deceased; Eoland, Mary, deceased; Eddie, Johnnie and
Essie. Mr. Eick is a member of the Lutheran church; is a Eetpublieaji, in politics,
and is connected with the K. of H., and the E. A. U. societies.

Claek Kimball was born at Weare, New Hampshire, April 31, 1803, a son
of Jonathan and grandson of Jonathan Kimball, both natives of Massachusetts.
In 1835 he removed to Woodstock, New York, and in 1835 settled in Elkland, Tioga
county, Pennsylvania, where he was engaged in the mercantile business for many
years, and also in farming in what is now Osceola borough. He was twice married.
His first wife was Clarissa Cilley, of Woodstock, New York, who bore him four
children, one of whom survives, Laverne L. His second marriage occurred in May,
1841, to Hannah, a daughter of Clark W. Whittemore, of Lyndeborough, New
Hampshire, and grand-daughter of Jonathan Whittemore, a son of Daniel Whitte-
more. She bore him six children, three of whom survive, viz: Orville S., Alvin C,
and Ida H. Although not a member of any religious denomination, he was a
hberal supporter of the Methodist Episcopal church. In politics, he was for many
years a Eepublican, but in later life he was a stanch Prohibitionist.

Alvin C. Kimball, son of Clark and Hannah Kimball, was born in what is
now Osceola borough, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, October 1, 1846, was reared on
the homestead farm, and educated in the Osceola High School. He began teaching
At the age of seventeen, and followed that vocation, ofE and on in Tioga county,
and later in Wellsville, Missouri, for a number of years. In 1868 he removed to
Wellsville, where he owned a prairie farm, which he cultivated up to 1876, when
he returned to Tioga county and lived on the old homestead at Osceola until 1881,
since which time he has been a resident of Westfield. From 1880 to 1890 he was
engaged in the portrait and view business in various sections of the country. On
January 1, 1890, he purchased the plant of the Free Press, at Westfield, which paper
he has since made one of the brightest and newsiest papers in the county. Mr.
Kimball was married October 5, 1867, to Lucy L., a daughter of Orrin P. and Sarah
N. (Morse) Eice, of Farmington township, Tioga county. They are the parents of
two living children: Claude C. and Orrin E. Mr. Kimball and wife are members of
the TJniversalist church of Westfield. He is connected with the F. & A. M. and the
I. 0. 0. F. of Westfield. Politically, he is a Prohibitionist, and has served in the
borough council of Westfield for three years.

Oeville S. Kimball, son of Clark and Hannah (Whittemore) Kimball, was
bom in Osceola, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, August 4, 1843. In 1847 his parents
moved to the farm, where he practically resided until 1893. In February, 1863, he
enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Third New York Volunteers, for three
years or during the war. The regiment was a few days later ordered to Wash-
ington, D. C, thence to Annapolis, Maryland, and embarked on the United States
steamer Errieson. After a stormy voyage of five days it was landed at Hatteras



922 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Inlet, North Carolina, and the following day, April 1st, proceeded by a river
steamer to New Berne. Mr. Kimball's company was on outpost duty at Evans'
Mills, seven miles from New Berne, until April 20, 1863, and was then detached
with two other companies and sent to Hatteras Island for guard duty. Corporal
Kimball, with a detachment of twenty men, was sent to Cape Hatteras Lighthouse,
as guard. September 1st, they received orders and joined the regiment on the
29th, at Antietam Creek, Maryland, and marched with the Army of the Potomac
to Fredericksburg, Virginia. The army crossed the Eappahannock on December
13, charged Marye's Heights on the 14th and recrossed the river on the 15th. In
February, 1863, the regiment came to Newport News, and a month later to Suffolk,
Virginia, where it was during the siege of that place, which ended in a hard fought
battle, May 3, 1863, in which the regiment sustained heavy loss. It was near
Portsmouth, Virginia, May 27, 1863; Yorktown, June 22; White House Landing,
July 1; Taylor's Farm and Hanover Jimction, July 4, and destroyed the railroad,
cutting off Lee's communication with Richmond; returned to Portsmouth, July
13, and landed at Folly Island, South Carolina, August 2, 1863. Mr. Kimball
re-enlisted in the field, in same company and regiment, at Folly Island, in February,
1864. He was at James Island, South Carolina, from July 2nd to the 10th, 1864,
and while commanding a skirmish line, his boot sole was shot away by a grape shot.
He was at Washington, D. C, in August, and later in the Shenandoah Valley until
December, 1864. He was at Bermuda Front from January until April, 1865.
After the close of hostilities, he was on detached service at Petersburg, and Surry
Court House, Virginia, in the subsistence department, until mustered out, De-
cember 16, 1865. He was promoted to sergeant in September, 1862, and to orderly
sergeant in December, following. On October 24, 1866, he married Mary L., a
daughter of Charles D. and Lucretia (Weeks) Cameron, of Osceola, Tioga county,
Pennsylvania, and went to housekeeping on the old homestead farm. Three chil-
dren have been born to this union: Ernest Harlan, Ida Grace, and Bessie May. In
1880 he was commissioned a Justice of the peace, and held the office for ten con-
secutive years. He is a charter member of Capt. A. J. Sofield Post, G. A. E., of
Osceola, of which he was commander four successive terms, quartermaster one
term, and adjutant eight terms. In March, 1891, Mr. Kimball accepted a position'
with the Free Press, of Westfield, with which paper he was editorially connected
for nearly five years. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, also of
the F. & A. M., and he and family are members of the Grange and the K. 0. T. M.
In politics, a Eepublican, he gives an earnest support to the principles of that party.
Eenest Haelan Kimball, only son of Orville S. and Mary L. Kimball, was
bom at Osceola, Tioga county, March 22, 1868. In early life he showed an aptitude
for photography, and has always been identified with that business, which he has
prosecuted quite successfully at Elkland, Tioga county, also in Kentucky, Indiana,
and different counties of Pennsylvania, as well as at Camden, New Jersey, and
other places. In January, 1894, he located permanently at Westfield, where he
has established a fine studio and has built up a successful business. Mr. Kimball
was married April 23, 1891, to Miss May L. Davies, of Westfield, to which union has
been bom a son, Harlan D. In politics, he is a Republican, and is also a member



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 923



of Westfield Tent, No. 155, K. 0. T. M., and a charter member of Fleetfoot Tribe,
No. 366, 1. 0. E. M., of Westfield.

Wilson Davis, eldest son of Jared and Parmelia DaTis, early settlers of Clymer
township, was born in Cortland county. New York, and came to Tioga county,
Pennsylvania, with his parents early in the century. He began his business career
as a lumberman on Pine creek, which business he continued for many years. He
later engaged in farming in Tioga and Potter counties, and died in the latter July
13, 1877, in his sixtieth year. His wife was Esther Pease, a daughter of Abram
and Cynthia (Bowen) Pease, of Westfield township, who bore him three children:
Frank M., Emmett, and Hattie, wife of Uri Lucas. Mr. Davis was a Democrat
in politics, and was a member of the I. 0. 0. F.

Fhank M. Davis, eldest son of Wilson and Esther Davis, was bom in Clymer
township, Tioga county, August 14, 1853. He grew to maturity in Potter and
Tioga counties, attending the public schools during boyhood, and after attaining
his majority he followed lumbering for seven years, and for five years was a
farmer in Westfield. He was a clerk ten years at the Westfield House, in West-
field, and served one year in the same capacity at the Coles House, in Wellsboro.
In 1893 he embarked in the grocery and bakery business at Westfield, in which he
still continues. Mr. Davis was married June 10, 1883, to Ida Hoffman, of Clinton
county, Pennsylvania, and has three children, viz: John W., Perley, and Hazel.
In politics, Mr. Davis is a Democrat. He is a member of the I. 0. 0. F., of West-
field; Westfield Encampment, No. 272; Canton Keystone, No. 5, of Wellsboro; also
of the K. of P., and the K. of H., and is First Sachem of Fleetfoot Tribe, No. 366,
I. 0. E. M.

Elisha S. Hoeton was born in Spring Mills, Allegany county, New York, July
10, 1842, a son of Elias and Almira (Knox) Horton, and is descended from Puritan
ancestry. His ancestors on the paternal side, tradition says, came to America in
the Mayflower, in 1620. His father was a native of Wolcott, Connecticut, was a
millwright and carpenter, and settled in early manhood in the Cowanesque valley.
He married there and later located at Spring Mills, Allegany county, New York,
where he reared his family. In 1865 he returned to Tioga county, locating at
Lawrenceville, where he resided until his death, in 1882, at the age of seventy-nine
years. His wife was a daughter of William Knox, a pioneer of Tioga county, in
whose honor the borough of Knoxville was named. Eleven children were the
fruits of this union, viz: Alonzo B., Ira, Elias, William, Sarah, who married
Christopher Prutsman; Elisha S., John C.,Myra, who married J. C. Doane;
Chauncey, Emily and Mary. The subject of this sketch grew to manhood at Spring
Mills, New York, and received his education in the public schools and at Ulysses
Academy. On August 25, 1861, he enlisted in Company H, Forty-sixth Pennsyl-
vania Volunteers, and was promoted to second sergeant in 1864. He served in the
battles of Winchester, and Chancellorsville, and was with Sherman on his celebrated
March to the Sea. He was taken prisoner twice, first at Winchester, where he
spent two months doing hospital duty, and was then exchanged. He was again
taken prisoner at Chancellorsville, and after spending two months in Libby, Castle
Thunder and Belle Island prisons, was paroled and sent to Annapolis, Maryland,
where he was exchanged. He rejoined his regiment at Dechard Station, Tennessee,



924 HisTOBT or tioga county.



and was honorably discharged from the service at Washington, D. C, June 30, 1865.
He then located at Lawrenceville, Tioga county, and was engaged in farming two
years; next went to Blossburg and entered the hardware busiaess, which he fol-
lowed four years, and then embarked in the furniture and undertaking business,
in which he continued for the same period. He later engaged in general mer-
chandising for two years, when he was appointed administrator of his father-in-
law's estate. After settling it up he again engaged in farming, but in December,
1882, was appointed station and express agent at Westfield, for the Pall Brook Eail-
road Company, a position he still holds. Mr. Horton was married in 1872, to Kate
Campbell, a daughter of William and Helen (Peaslee) Campbell, of Nelson, and has
four children: Prank G., Nellie C, Harry J. and Arthur E. In politics, Mr. Horton
is a Eepublican. He is a member of Babcock Post, No. 258, G. A. E., of Westfield,
and Westfield Lodge, No. 477, P. & A. M.

Asaph T. Kunkel, M. D., was bom ia Berks county, Pennsylvania, July 15,

1859, a son of Daniel S. and Catherine (Trexler) Kunkel. He was reared upon the
homestead farm, and after obtaining a common school education, he attended the
State Normal School at Kutztown, and Muhlenburg College, at AUentown, Penn-
sylvania. In 1880 he commenced the study of medicine with Dr. A. L. Bottum, of
Westfield, Tioga county, and afterwards read under Dr. J. W. Chambers, of Balti-
more, Maryland. He was graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons
of the latter city in 1883, and at once located in practice at Westfield, Tioga county,
where he has since prosecuted the duties of his profession. On September 25, 1884,
he married Dollie Parker, a daughter of Isaac P. and Euth (Kelley) Parker, of
Brookfield, Pennsylvania. Two children have been born to this union: Euth and
Kate. Dr. Kunkel is a member of the Hornellsville Medical Society, Steuben
county. New York, and the Tioga County Medical Society. He is a member of
Westfield Lodge, No. 477, P. & A. M.; Jemison Lodge, No. 332, I. 0. 0. P., of
Westfield, and Westfield Encampment.

John E. Dengle was bom in Wellsboro, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, October 28,

1860, a son of John and Mary (Blinn) Dengle, both natives of Germany. His father
came to the United States about 1850, and located in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, but
removed to Wellsboro prior to 1860, where he still resides. Por some years he was
engaged in farming in Delmar township. His children were John E., Louisa, wife
of Herbert Severson; Samuel L., and Anna, wife of William P. Jordan. Our subject
was reared in Wellsboro, and was educated in the public schools. In 1877 he entered
the employ of White Brothers, grocers, of Wellsboro, in whose services he remained
imtil the fall of 1883. He then removed to Gaines, where he was manager of the
store, warehouse and lumber business of Charles H. Eexford, until May, 1885, when
he located at Westfield, and has since been successfully engaged in the grocery and
crockery business. Mr. Dengle was married Pebmary 21, 1883, to Elizabeth U.
Eexford, a daughter of Charles H. and Alwilda (Vermilyea) Eexford, of Gaines,
and grand-daughter of Horace Vermilyea, one of the first settlers of that section
of the county. One daughter, Alwilda M., was bom to this union. Mr. Dengle is
a member of Jemison Lodge, No. 232, 1. 0. 0. P., of Westfield; Westfield Encamp-
ment, No. 272, and Canton Keystone, No. 5, of Wellsboro; the Grand Lodge of



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 925



Pennsylvania, and of Westfield Lodge, No. 477, F. & A. M. In politics, he is a
stanch Democrat, and was elected burgess of Westfield in February, 1897.

John C. Edgcomb, conductor on the Addison and Pennsylvania railroad, was
bom in Westfield township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, September 36, 1865, a
son of Orson and Almira (Tremain) Edgcomb. His paternal grandfather, Samuel
Edgcomb, came from Broome county. New York, to Tioga county, Pennsylvania,
at an early day; was a cooper by trade, and one of the pioneers of the Cowanesque
valley. His maternal grandfather, John M. Tremain, was one of the pioneers of
Tioga county, as was also his maternal great-grandfather, Lyman Tremain, both
of whom have sketches in this chapter. Orson Edgcomb was engaged in lumbering
in early manhood, and was later a farmer and hotel-keeper at Cowanesque. His
children were as follows: Hester A., wife of George Daugherty; John C, and
Charles W. Our subject was reared in Westfield township, and obtained his edu-
cation in the public schools. He then became an employe of a sash and blind
factory at Cowanesque, where he worked for three years. In 1884 he entered the
employ of the Addison and Pennsylvania Eaikoad Company, as a brakeman, and in
the fall of 1891 was promoted to passenger conductor, a position he still holds. Mr.
Edgcomb was married April 34, 1889, to Kittle Melvin, a daughter of Edward and



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 125 of 163)