Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 126 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 126 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Catherine (Loftus) Melvin, of Gouldsboro, Pennsylvania, and has one daughter,
Faye A.

John Eieppel was born in Hopfau, Bavaria, Germany, June 8, 1837, a son of
Albert and Theresa (Schrembs) Eieppel, who came to the United States in 1873
and located in Eenovo, Pennsylvania. His mother died there, and is buried in
North Bend Cemetery. His father was an iron worker, and was employed by the
Pennsylvania Eailroad Company for several years. After eleven years' residence
in Eenovo, he returned to Germany, and died there in 1889, aged seventy-nine
years. Our subject was reared in Bavaria, Germany, and was educated in the
Industrial and Polytechnic School, and by profession is a mechanical engineer. For
seven years he was connected with his father in the machinery and foundry business
in Germany. In 1871 he immigrated to Pennsylvania, and entered the employ of
the Pennsylvania Eailroad Company at Eenovo, where he worked as a machinist for
twelve years. In 1883 he removed to Gaines, Tioga county, and carried on a ma-
chine shop four years, when he was burned out, and then located in Westfield town-
ship, establishing his present foundry and machine shop, which he has since success-
fully conducted. In 1871 he married Anna KoUer, a daughter of Christopher
KoUer, of Eenovo. They are the parents of five children, viz: George, Maggie,
Martin, Emma and John. Mr. Eieppel is a member of Eenovo Lodge, No. 495,
P. & A. M., and in politics, he is independent.

NiMEOD Stott, senior member of the firm of Nimrod Stott & Sons, was bom
in Yorkshire, England, May 8, 1836, and is a son of Hartley and Nannie (Peal) Stott.
He was reared in his native land, and at the age of eight years began working in a
stone quarry, at which he served a thorough apprenticeship in all its branches,
and has followed the business for over half a century. In 1891 he came to the
United States, and located at Westfield, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and in part-
nership with his sons, George, Harry and Nimrod, purchased the stone quarry
at that place. They have since so successfully developed and operated it, that it
now produces the finest grade of stone for building and flagging purposes. Their



926 HisTOEY or tioga county.

product finds a ready market in Westfield and nearby towns, while large shipments
are also occasionally made to Elmira, Kew York. The handsome new Episcopal
church at Westfield is constructed of stone from this quarry, and it has heen used
in many other buildings in Westfield, while all the stone sidewalks in the borough
have been taken from this quarry. The business has become one of the leading
industries of the borough. Mr. Stott was married in England, to Maria Jewett, a
daughter of John Jewett, of England, and has four living children, viz: George,
Harry, Nimrod, and Lucy, wife of John Beach. The firm of Mmrod Stott & Som
is one of the prosperous and substantial ones of Westfield.

John N". Mead was bom in New Jersey, in 1810, and in early manhood Uved
in Ludlow ville, New York, where he was engaged in contracting and in the car-
riage and foundry business. In 1857 he came to Tioga county and settled on a
farm in Chatham township, where he was engaged in farming until his death, AprU
1, 1872. He was a son of Eobert and Kebecca (Nichols) Mead. His first wife,
Sarah, was a daughter of William Brown, of Tompkins county. New York, and had
two children: William B. and Emily C. His second wife was Maria H. Newton,
of the same county, who became the mother of seven children, viz: John N., Celia
A., wife of Egbert Woodcock; Sarah L., wife of Horatio Chisholm; Marian A.,
Maria B., wife of Homer Hawley; Ada E., wife of Alfred Short, and Ward. Mr.
Mead was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and in polities, an adherent
of the Eepublican party.

William B. Mead, only son of John N. and Sarah (Brown) Mead, was bom
in Ludlowville, Tompkins county. New York, April 11, 1839, and was eighteen years
old when his parents removed to Chatham township, Tioga county. He attended the
common schools, and also Union Academy, at Academy Comers, and in 1862 be-
' came an apprentice in a sash and blind factory, which business he has since followed.
He has been a member of the firm of Plank, Krusen & Company, of Westfield, since
1893.. Mr. Mead was married in 1867, to Viola, a daughter of Hiram and Cynthia
L. (Thompson) Freeborn, of Knoxville. His second wife was Eva M. Benedict, a
daughter of Dr. Elisha and Emily (Eyon) Benedict, of Elkland. They have had
two children, only one of whom, Harry, is now living. Mr. Mead is a member of
the Presbyterian church, and also of the K. of H. In politics, he is a Eepublican,
and during his residence in Elkland he was a Justice of the peace for two years.

E. J. Neal, proprietor of livery stables, was born in Ulysses, Potter county,
Pennsylvania, January 22, 1870, a son of John W. and Mary J. (Bailey) Neal. He
was reared in his native county, and obtained a common school education. On
attaining his majority, he engaged in the grocery business at Mills, Potter county,
Pennsylvania, and in 1893, he located at Westfield, Tioga county, where he has
since been connected with the livery business. In June, 1893, he married Miss
Bertha Stone, of East Charleston, Tioga county. In politics, Mr. Neal is a Eepub-
lican.

Asa Hill, proprietor of the American House, Westfield, was bom in Ulster
county. New York, July 9, 1856, a son of John and Harriet (Bowers) Hill, and of
English descent. He was reared in his native county, where he attended the public
schools, and in 1879 removed to Laporte, Sullivan county, Pennsylvania, where he
was employed by the Laporte Tannery Company, for two years. In 1880 he located



BIOGKAPHICAL SKETCHES. 927



at Coudersport, Potter county, where he worked one season in the lumber woods,
and after a varied business career, he started a restaurant and billiard hall at Gale-
ton, Potter county, in 1886, which he conducted seven years. In February, 1894,
as a member of the firm of Hill & Eohrbach, he purchased the American Hotel
property at Westfield, which has since been thoroughly remodeled and fitted up
vrith modern improvements, and under Mr. Hill's mangement has obtained a fine
reputation. He married Carrie Eohrbach, a daughter of John Eohrbach, of Ger-
mania, Pennsylvania, in April, 1887, and has one daughter. May. Mr. Hill is a
member of Galeton Lodge, No. 1014, I. 0. 0. P.; Westfield Encampment, N'o. 272,
and Canton Keystone, No. 5, of "Wellsboro. Politically, he is a Eepublican.

John Eohebach was bom in Sullivan county. New York, May 6, 1862, a son
of John and Catherine (Yagge) Eohrbach, both natives of Germany. In 1886 the
family located at Germania, Potter county, Pennsylvania, where the father, who
was a carpenter, died in 1889. He had a family of ten children, of whom six are
now living, viz: Kate, wife of Michael Kerry; Mrs. John Applalf, Lucy, Andrew,
John and Michael. Our subject was reared in Sullivan county. New York, and
came with his parents to Potter county, Pennsylvania, in 1886, where he worked as
a lumberman for six years. In February, 1894, in partnership with Asa Hill, he
purchased the American Hotel at Westfield, which they conducted together, under
the firm name of Hill & Eohrbach, until Mr. Eohrbach's removal to Addison, New
York, in 1895. He was married in 1884, to Libbie Abbel, of Germania, Potter
county. In politics, Mr. Eohrbach is a Democrat, and is a member of the A. 0.
U. W.

Gbokge 0. Manwabing was bom in Smyrna, Chenango county, New York,
March 10, 1863, a son of Daniel 0. and Helen A. (Wilber) Manwaring. The
family is of English descent, and of Puritan stock. Our subject was reared in his
native county, attended the common schools in early boyhood, and at the age of
eleven years began working by the month on a farm, in which -vocation he
continued nine years. He then went to Syracuse, New York, where he was engaged
in clerking for five years, and in 1888 came to Potter county, Pennsylvania. For
a short time he was employed as a book-keeper in a lumber office, and was en-
gaged in lumbering on his own account for one year. In 1892 he located at
Brookfield, Tioga county, where he conducted a general store, and also filled the
position of postmaster, up to April 1, 1894, when he removed to Westfield borough,
where he has since carried on one of the leading grocery stores of the town. Mr.
Manwaring was married November 11, 1891, to Lizzie M. Pedley, a daughter of
John and Martha (Malone) Pedley, of Baldwinsville, New York. In politics, he
is a Prohibitionist, and in religion, an adherent of the Baptist church.

John Yottmans, Se., was bom in New Jersey, May 12, 1811, and came in
boyhood with his parents to Chatham township, Tioga county. They were for-
merly from New Jersey, and were among the pioneers of this section of the county.
John was reared on the homestead farm in Chatham township, and later cleared
several farms, one in Covington, and one in Eiehmond, and also jobbed for others.
His wife, Sarah, was a daughter of Jacob A. I. Johnson, of Covington township,
and they were the parents of eight children, viz: Harriet, who married Harry
Cleveland; Miles, Martha, who married, Z. M. P. Baird; John, William, Alphonso



928 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

J., Charlotte, wife of Edwin Kloek, and Adelaide, who married Contine Connelly.
Mr. Youmans died January 26, 1859. His wife died in the fall of 1863.

John Yotjmans, second son of John and Sarah Youmans^ was bom in Cov-
ington township, Tioga county, February 2, 1841. He was educated in the common
schools and at Mansfield Classical Seminary, and began life as a teacher. He
taught for several terms, and was the first principal of the graded school at Coving-
ton. In the meantime he had engaged in farming, and in 1880 removed from
Covington to Chatham township, where he partially cleared and improved a farm.
In 1888 he located in Knoxville, and engaged in the sewing machine business as a
salesman for the Singer Manufacturing Company, removing to Westfield in April,
1894. He is now located in Athens, Bradford county, where he is general agent of
the Singer Company. Mr. Youmans was married February 15, 1863, to Elizabeth
Wallace, a daughter of Thomas and Isabel (Baird) "Wallace, of Hazleton, Pennsyl-
vania, and has five children, viz: Lizzie B., wife of George Beach; Lottie, wife of
William H. Husted; Ella, wife of Fred J. Wood; Myron L., and Arthur. In poli-
tics, he is independent, has served as auditor of Tioga county one term, and is a
member of the K. of H.

Daniel Hunt, a native of Muncy, Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, born in
1796, was a son of WilHam and Kancy (Colbom) Hunt, and a grandson of Wilson
Hunt, a native of Cheshire, England, who was driven from his native land because
of his religious opinions, and at an early day settled in Warren county, New
Jersey, whence he removed to Scipio, New York. The parents of our subject
immigrated to Muncy, Pennsylvania, and later removed to Lansing, New York,
where they died. His father, William Hunt, entered the Continental army at the
age of seventeen, and served during the last three years of the war. Daniel Hunt
was reared in Lansing, New York, was a soldier in the War of 1812, and in 1840
settled in Westfield township, Tioga county, on the farm now owned and occupied
by his son Barton, which, with the assistance of his sons, he cleared and improved.
There he resided until his death, December 14, 1862, in his sixty-seventh year.
His wife was Sarah Knapp, a daughter of Samuel Knapp, of Dryden, New York.
They were the parents of nine children, viz: Samuel, Barton, Ann, who married
John Brown; Isaac, who married Catharine Whitmarsh; Charity, who married
Dewey Whitmarsh; Harriet, wife of James Labar; Betsey, Preelove, and AdeUne,
wife of John Eowland.

Babton Hunt, second son of Daniel Hunt, was bom in Ithaca, New York,
November 13, 1824, was reared in Tompkins county until sixteen years of age, and
then removed with his parents to Westfield township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania,
where he assisted in clearing the old homestead, which he now owns and occupies,
and where he has resided since coming to this county. For twenty-two years he
followed lumbering, and was also a pilot for twenty years on Pine creek and the
Susquehanna river, from Gaines to Fort Deposit and Columbia. He is an adept
with the jack-knife, and has more than a local reputation for making anything
that can be whittled out with an ordinary pen-knife. Mr. Hunt was married No-
vember 13, 1859, to Anna Douglass, a daughter of William A. and Salina L. (Han-
cock) Douglass, of Clymer toT^Tiship, and has had four children: Ada, deceased;
Effie M., wife of Clawson McMindes; William Sherman, deceased, and Charle* B.




7^A, A^ c^a^^^^



BIOGKAPHICAL SKETCHES. 929



In politics, Mr. Hunt is a Democrat, has held various local offices in his township,
is a good farmer and respected citizen.

John Whitmaesh was bom in Otsego county. New York, about 1810, there
grew to manliood, and in 1843 settled in Westfield township, Tioga county, Penn-
sylvania, on the farm now occupied by Cornelius Bush. He cleared a portion of
it, and resided in this township until his death, at the age of sixty-three years.
He was twice married. His first wife, Catherine Hilsinger, of Oneonta, New York,
was a daughter of Michael Hilsinger, a Eevolutionary soldier. She bore him one
son, Alexander. His second wife was Eleanor Hilsinger, a sister of his first wife.
Seven children were born to this union, viz : Catherine, wife of Isaac Hunt; Dewey,
Jacob, Amelia, wife of Jonathan Weeks; Frances, wife of Oscar Butler; Lucinda,
wife of William Case, and Susan, who married Herbert Moore.

Dewet Whitmaesh, son of John and Eleanor Whitmarsh, was bom in
Oneonta, New York, March 13, 1833, and was ten years old when his parents set-
tled in Westfield township, Tioga county. Here he grew to manhood, and obtained
a Hmited education in the common schools. At the age of nineteen he commenced
life for himself, as a farmer, and in 1866 located on fifty acres of land in Westfield
township, which he still occupies, all of which he cleared and improved. In 1851
he married Charity Hunt, a daughter of Daniel and Sarah (Knapp) Hunt, of West-
field, and is the father of six children, viz: William, Charles, Lavina, wife of Lewis
Breese; Alice, wife of Ered Beach; James, and Nettie, wife of Charles Eoe. In
February, 1864, Mr. Whitmarsh enlisted in Company F, Second Pennsylvania
Heavy Artillery, and participated in the battles of the Wilderness, Cold Harbor,
North Anna, James Eiver, and Petersburg. He was wounded in the last mentioned
engagement, June 17, 1864, and was honorably discharged from the service in
February, 1866. In politics, he is a Eepublican, and is a member of the Gr. A. E.

Aaeon- L. S. Leach was bom in Niagara county. New York, August 6, 1813, a
son of Willard and Irene (Brown) Leach, natives of New Hampshire. He was
reared in his native State, where he served an apprenticeship at the shoemaker's
trade, which occupation he followed for some years in New York state, and fox a
short period after his permanent settlement in this county, in 1840. In later life he
engaged in farming in Westfield township, clearing a part of the land now owned
by James Vincent, and also followed various other occupations, including dealing
ia horses, hotel keeping, and for a short time was in the grocery business at West-
field. He was a tireless, energetic man, and changed his business as often as cir-
cumstances warranted. Mr. Leach was married March 8, 1843, to Mary P. Bennett,
a daughter of John W. and Betsey (Shoff) Bennett. She was bom in New Hamp-
shire, and became the mother of seven children, viz: James V., a lawyer by pro-
fession, who died in 1875, in his thirty-first year; Virgil V., deceased; Frank V.,
George V., deceased; Eoss V., Mary V., deceased, and William V. Mr. Leach died
January 25, 1890, in his seventy-seventh year.

Eoss V. Leach, son of Aaron L. S. Leach, was bom in Westfield, Tioga county,
June 9, 1853, and obtained a public school education. He commenced life for
himself working on a farm by the month. In 1878, with his brother, Frank V., he
purchased 100 acres of land in Westfield township, and shortly afterwards bought
his brother's interest. He lived upon his farm until 1893, when he removed to

59



930 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Westfield borough, which has since been his home. Mr. Leach was married
March 13, 1878, to Almeda Converse, a daughter of Frank and Adelia (Jones) Con-
verse, of Steuben county, New York. They are the parents of two children: Leon
V. and Mna V. In politics, Mr. Leach is a stanch Democrat.

Chaeles H. Metcalf was bom in Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania, in 1803,
a son of Daniel and Jedidah (Lacy) Metcalf, natives of Connecticut, and pioneers
of Susquehanna county. He was reared in that county, and there learned the
cooper's trade. In 1827 he settled in Harrison township. Potter county, where he
cleared a farm of 300 acres, upon which he resided until 1843. In that year he re-
moved to Westfield township, Tioga county, where he cleared a portion of a 100-
acre farm. In 1833 he married Sarah A. Potter, a daughter of Stephen and
Matilda (Aldrich) Potter, pioneers of Westfield township. Four children were bom
to this union, viz: Sarah M., wife of Peter Edgcomb; James H., Mary E., wife of
Charles A. Gilbert, and Stephen L. Mr. Metcalf was prominent in temperance
circles, and died July 39, 1878, aged seventy-six years.

James H. Metcalf, eldest son of Charles H. and Sarah A. Metcalf, was born
in Harrison township. Potter county, Pennsylvania, August 34, 1838, and was five
years old when his parents located in Westfield township, Tioga county. He ob-
tained his education in the public schools and at Union Academy, Academy Comers,
and later learned the mason's trade, which he followed seventeen years. On Au-
gust 13, 1863, he enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Thirty-sixth Pennsyl-
vania Volunteers, and was honorably discharged May 39, 1863. He re-enlisted
February 39, 1864, in Battery P, Second Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery, and was
finally discharged from the service May 39, 1866. He participated in the battles
of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor, Peters-
burg, and other engagements. He entered the service as third sergeant, and was
promoted to first sergeant. During his second term he was commissary sergeant
of Battery I, Provisional Heavy Artillery, and for twenty months was on detached
service in the chief quartermaster's department of Appomattox, under Capt. C. W.
Folsom. Since 1868 Mr. Metcalf has been engaged in farming in Westfield town-
ship, and has also followed his trade when convenient. He was married February
4, 1864, to Philena Tanner, a daughter of A. B. and Dorcas M. (Koblyer) Tanner, of
Clymer township, and has three children: Minnie, Estella and Jennie. He mar-
ried a second time, in 1878, Mrs. Elizabeth Aldrich, nee Dodge, of Westfield. Her
parents, Israel and Sally (White) Dodge, came to Potter county as pioneers. Mr.
Metcalf is a member of Babcock Post, No. 358, 6. A. E., and also of the K. of H.
Politically, a Republican, he has served ten years as justice of the peace of West-
field township.

Nathan Bhoughton, a native of Delaware county. New York, was among the
pioneers of Tioga county, Pennsylvania. In 1817 he located on Pine creek, but
later removed to Delmar township, where his principal business was lumbering,
and he resided there until his death, at the ripe age of eighty-four years. His wife
was Sally Walker, and their children were as follows: Uriel, Henry, Horace, Maria,
who married Fred Boos; William, Eliza, who married Andrew Greiner; Eachel,
who married Hiram Campbell; Nathan and Everton.

Henry Beott6hton, second son of Nathan Broughton, was born in Delaware



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 931



county. New York, in 1812, and was about five years old when his parents settled
on Pine creek, in Tioga county. He was reared in Delmar township, and in early
life engaged in farming and in lumbering. In 1845 he settled in Westfield town-
ship, on the farm now owned by his son, William, cleared and improved it, and
died there at the age of seventy-two years. His wife was Parmelia Phillips, a
daughter of Eichard Phillips, of Westfield, who bore him a family of seven chil-
dren, viz: Sarah J., who married George Baker; William, Saloma, who married
Herman Seeley; Barzilla, Phillips, Uriel, and Flora, wife of Le Grand Mascho.
Mr. Broughton was an adherent of the Kepublican party, and in religion, a mem-
ber of the Christian church.

William Beoughton, eldest son of Henry Broughton, was born in Delmax
township, Tioga county, March 27, 1840. When he was five years old his parents
removed to Westfield, where he has since resided, now owning the old homestead
farm. In 1862 he married Nancy Guile, a daughter of Herrick and Jane (Butler)
Guile, of Otsego county. New York. Mr. Broughton is a Eepublican, in politics,
and one of the enterprising f axmers of the community in which he lives.

Petee B. Bush, son of John Bush, was bom August 4, 1819, in Orange county.
New York, and came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1843, locating at Knox-
ville, where he was engaged in the hotel business two years. He then removed to
Westfield, and continued the same business five years, conducting the Eed Lion
and Boardman Hotels. He later engaged in farming, bought and sold stock quite
extensively, and for four years operated a stage line between Westfield and Addison,
New York. Mr. Bush was twice married. His first wife was Mary Ann Linder-
man, a daughter of Cornelius Linderman, of Schuyler county. New York, who
bore him three children: Cornelius, Mary, wife of Abijah Stanley, and Harriet,
wife of Delos Ellis. His second wife was Sarah Miller, a daughter of Samuel and
Elizabeth (Strawn) Miller, of Chatham township, Tioga county. Four children
were born to this union, viz: John M., Samuel, who died February 27, 1896; Jacob,
and Edwin M. Mr. Bush died January 7, 1874. He was a member of the I. 0. 0. P.,
and in politics, a stanch Eepublican.

CoENELius Bush, eldest child of Peter B. and Mary Ann (Linderman) Bush,
was bom in Knoxville, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, January 28, 1844, and when
he was about two years old his parents located at Westfield, where he grew to ma-
turity. He then engaged in farming and lumbering, partially clearing the farm
in Westfield township on which he now resides, upon which he located in 1867.
In 1866 he married Lina L. Douglas, a daughter of William A. and Salina (Hancock)
Douglas, of Clymer township. They have had one son, Charles P., who died Octo-
ber 26, 1896. Mr. Bush is a Eepublican, in politics, and is one of the representative
farmers of Westfield township.

John Little was born in Woodhull, Steuben county. New York, May 12, 1834,
a son of William and Margaret (Sammis) Little, and came with his mother and
family to Westfield township, Tioga county, in 1847, where, with the assistance
of her sons, she cleared and improved what is now known as the Graham farm.
She married George Graham after locating in this county, and died upon the home-
stead in Westfield township. By her first husband, William Little, she was the
mother of nine children, viz: Susan, who married Luke Scott; Latham M., Jesse,



932 HISTOET OP TIOGA COUNTY.

John, William W., James, Emma, who married William D. Eedner; Edwin E., and
Mary A., wife of Onan Trowbridge. The subject of this sketch was reared in
Westfield township from the age of thirteen years, and obtained his education in
a pioneer frame school house. Since arriviag at manhood, he has devoted his at-
tention to farming, though sometimes engaged in jobbing as a lumberman. He
has cleared a portion of several farms in Westfield township, and has lived on his
present homestead since 1864. In August, 1863, Mr. Little enlisted in Company
D, One Hundred and Thirty-sixth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and participated in
the battles of Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville. After nine months' service he
was honorably discharged, having never been absent from duty or missed a day's
service during his term. On December 25, 1863, he married Eachel M. Aldrich, a
daughter of Halsey and Matilda (Works) Aldrich, of Westfield township, to which
union have been bom the foUovring children: William J., Jesse H., Halsey J.,
and Walter D., and they have also an adopted daughter, Grace B. In politics, Mr.
Little is a Eepublican, has held various local offices, and is a member of Babcock
Post, Fo. 258, Q. A. E., of Westfield. .



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 126 of 163)