Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 127 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 127 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Thomas Sphague settled in Westfield township, Tioga county, in 1849, where
he cleared and improved a farm, now owned by L. E. Garner. He was a native of
Colchester, Delaware county, New York, and resided on his farm in Westfield town-
' ship until his death, which occurred at the age of seventy-six years. His wife was
Keziah Warren, who bore him a family of eleven children, viz: Page, Maria, who
married Arthur Tremain; Melissa, who married Fred. Thurber; Josephine, who
married Thomas Tremain; Hiram, Helen, who became the wife of John Burtross;
Henrietta, who married Hiram Burdic; Hannah, who married Albert Orson;
Arthur, Albert, and Mary, who became the wife of L. E. Garner.

HiEAM Speagtje, son of Thomas and Keziah Sprague, was bom in Colchester,
New York, May 18, 1834, and removed with his parents to Westfield township,
Tioga county, in 1849. Here he cleared and improved a farm of fifty-one acres upon
which he now resides. He married Mary K. Eice, a daughter of Sylvanus and
Harriet (Seeley) Eice, of Tioga, and has two children: Lewis and Eugene. In
politics, Mr. Sprague is a Eepublican.

Lewis Speague, eldest son of Hiram and Mary K. Sprague, was bom in West-
field township, Tioga county, October 3, 1862; attended the common schools of his
district, and is a farmer and miller by occupation. In politics, he is a Eepublican,
and is filling the offices of constable and collector of Westfield township. On
November 27, 1884, he married Alvira A. Cooper, a daughter of Erastus and Amanda
(Sedam) Cooper, of Westfield township, and has two children: Frank E. and
Harriet A. Mr. Sprague is a member of the K. 0. T. M.

WiLLETT Vincent was a native of Swaygo, Dutchess county. New York, bom
June 3, 1805, and a son of Gilbert and Eebecca (Justis) Vincent, and was of French,
English, German and Irish ancestry. He came to Westfield township, Tioga county,
in 1850, settling on the farm now occupied by his son, James T. He cleared a por-
tion of it, and there died in November, 1868. His wife was Maria Tompkins, a
daughter of Cornelius and Kate (Brown) Tompkins, of Schenectady county. New
York. They were the parents of twelve children, ten of whom grew to maturity, viz:
Katie, who married James Southall, of Alabama; James T., Horace G., who died



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 933



in 1864, from disease oonti"aeted in the axmy, and who was buried in Greenwood,
Long Island j Phoebe, deceased; George, who was killed by a falling tree, in 1859;
Dow, deceased; Mary, wife of William E. McFall; Mercy, wife of Mulford Labax;
Harriet, wife of Orlando Tarbox, and Gilbert G. Mr. Vincent was a member of the
Baptist church, and in politics, an adherent of the Democratic party.

James T. Vincent, son of Willett and Maria Vincent, was born in Broome
county, New York, December 36, 1830, was educated in his native county, and came
with his parents to Westfield township, Tioga county, in 1850. He has since resided
on the old homestead, settled by his father, most of which he has cleared, paid
for and improved. In politics, Mr. Vincent is an independent voter.

Isaac Thompson, a native of Connecticut, born in April, 1794, was a son of
Jared Thompson, and a grandson of Samuel Thompson, a pioneer of Tompkins
county, New York. In 1832 Isaac settled in Harrison township. Potter county,
Pennsylvania, in the midst of an unbroken forest, his nearest neighbors being from
two to four miles distant". Here he cleared a farm, upon which he resided until his
death, in 1873, aged seventy-nine years. His wife was Keziah Wickes, a daughter
of Israel P. Wickes, of Tompkins county, New York, but later a resident of Ohio.
She bore him six children who grew to maturity, viz: Lydia, who married E. Z.
Olney; Jared, Isaac C, Nancy, who married Aaron Webster; Prudence, who
married Alonzo Hawks; Harriet E., who married J. A. Smith, and Israel. Mr.
Thompson was a member of the Baptist church, and in politics, an ardent Eepub-
Hcan. He filled the office of county commissioner, and also treasurer of Potter
county, for one term each, and was a man of enterprise and public spirit.

Isaac C. Thompson, second son of Isaac and Keziah Thompson, was born in
Ulysses, Tompkins county, New York, November 16, 1821, and was in his twelfth
year when his parents settled in Potter county, Pennsylvania. He attended school
in the Uttle log school house of his district, and after attaining his majority, he
worked at the carpenter's trade seven years. Since that time, with the exception of
four years that he was engaged in merchandising at Potter Brook, where he erected
the first store building, he has followed farming in Potter and Tioga counties. He
assisted his father to clear the old homestead, and also cleared and improved a farm
for himself in Hector township. Potter county, but since 1866 he has been a resident
of Westfield township, Tioga county. In September, 1864, he enlisted in Company
D, Two Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers; was detailed on detached
service, and was honorably discharged in June, 1865. Mr. Thompson has been
twice married. His first wife was Mary A. Potter, a daughter of Stephen and
Matilda (Aldrich) Potter, who settled in Westfield township, Tioga county, in
1817. She bore him five children, viz: Emily, who married William Weeks;
Sophronia, who married B. P. Mulford; Julia A., who married L. J. Skinner; Eva
K., who married A. V. Hawley, and Hattie, who became the wife of William Nivison.
He married for his second wife Mrs. Sarah A. Stevens, nee Eossiter. In politics,
Mr. Thompson is a Eepubliean, and an advocate of prohibition. During his resi-
dence in Potter county, he served as auditor, and also as a justice of the peace.
Since locating in Westfield township, he has filled the latter office two terms. He is
known in the community as a good citizen, a kind neighbor, and a public-spirited
man.



934 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Ekastus G. Hill, a native of Lebanon, Madison county, New York, was one
of the first settlers of Clymer township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he
cleared and improved a farm, owning at one time 300 acres of land, which has since
been divided into several farms. Later in life he removed to Westfleld township,
where he continued farming, but afterwards erected a hotel in what is now Westfield
borough, known as the Hill House. He conducted this hotel for five years, then
sold out and retired from active business. His wife was Violet Thompson, who bore
him four children who grew to maturity, viz: Lafayette, Kirk B., Emma, wife of
George Parmenter, and Perry. Mr. Hill died in Westfield, in 1879, at the age of
sixty-two years.

Kirk B. Hill, second son of Erastus G. and Violet Hill, was born in Clymer
township, Tioga county, January 9, 1845. He obtained his education in the common
and select schools of Westfield, and in early manhood worked at the carpenter's
trade. For fourteen years he was employed in a sash and blind factory at Cowan-
esque. Since 1883 he has been engaged in farming in Westfield township,
and is one of its progressive and successful citizens. Mr. Hill was married Septem-
ber 25, 1874, to Addie Burdic, a daughter of Nelson and Susan (Pease) Burdic, of
Westfield, and has two children: Benjamin and Hazel. In politics, he is a Ee-
publican, is a member of Eulalia Grange, of Westfield, and has filled various local
offices in his township.

James Lattimee was born in England, February 6, 1803, was a miller by
trade, and spent some years in Scotland. In 1854 he immigrated to the United
States, and settled in Westfield, Pennsylvania, where he engaged in farming until
his death, September 8, 1889. His wife was Helen Haining, a native of Scotland,
who was the mother of eight children, viz: William, Agnes, who married John
T. Stephenson; Alexander, Mary, wife of James Champlin; James, George, David
and John. Mr. Lattimer was a life-long member of the Presbyterian church, and
in politics, he was an adherent of the Democratic party.

Geoege Lattimee, fourth son of James and Helen Lattimer, was bom in
Dumfrieshire, Scotland, June 23, 1846, and came with his parents to Westfield,
Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1854. He was reared upon a farm; obtained a com-
mon school education, and has followed agricultural pursuits since boyhood. He
has resided upon his present homestead in Westfield township since 1879. On
December 25, 1874, he married Mary A. Price, a daughter of Phineas and Sybil
(Bump) Price, of Westfield township, and has one daughter, Maggie. In politics,
Mr. Lattimer is a stanch Democrat, and gives an earnest support to Democratic
measures and principles.

S. Austin Buck, a native of Bennington, Vermont, bom about 1826, was a
son of Hiram Buck, and came with his parents to Elkland, Tioga county, about
1849. Hiram Buck was a blacksmith, which trade he followed for some years at
Elkland, whence he removed to Coudersport. His children were as follows: Abel,
S. Austin, Hiram, Clarissa, who married Harry Wheaton; Lucy, who married
Alpheus Bassett; Myrtle, who became the wife of William H. Banks; Lucretia,
Frank and Charies. The subject of this sketch learned the blacksmith's trade with
his. father, and followed that business for many years at Elkland and Westfield.
He was also in the mercantile business at Westfield, and Harrison Valley, Potter



BIOGEAFHICAL SKETCHES. 935



county, for several years, as a member of the firm of K. Krusen & Company, general
merchants and millers. About 1865 he purchased the farm in Westfield township
now occupied by his sons, Eugene A. and Eandolph H., where he continued to reside
up to his death, in 1870. His wife was Aurilla Hurlbut, a daughter of Giles Hurl-
but, of Harrison township. Potter county, to which union were bom four children,
viz: Eugene A., Randolph H., Norman and Loren. In politics, Mr. Buck was a
Eepublican, and was a justice of the peace for several years at Hanison Valley.

Randolph H. Buck, second son of S. Austin Buck, was born in Elkland, Tioga
county, November 35, 1852. He was reared in this county, obtained a common
school education, and served an apprenticeship of five years at the tanner's trade,
which business he gave up on account of ill health. Since 1879 he has been engaged
in farming, and is now serving his fourth year as treasurer of the Cowanesque
Valley Agricultural Society. Mr. Buck was married October 5, 1876, to Emily A.
Wheaton, a daughter of Lewis and Rozetta (Whitcomb) Wheaton, of Pine Creek,
Potter county, and has one daughter, Helen 0. In politics, he is a Republican,
and has been clerk of Westfield township for the past seven years. He has been
financial secretaxy of New Hall Council, No. 846, Jr. 0. II. A. M., of Potter
Brook, since its organization, and secretary of Eulalia Grange, No. 1088, of West-
field, for the past three years.

James E. Dodge was bom in Steuben county. New York, September 26, 1836,
a son of Israel and Sally (White) Dodge, both natives of Oxford, Chenango county.
New York, who settled in Harrison township, Potter county, Pennsylvania, in
1839. His father v/as a millwright, at which trade he worked, in eomiection with
farming, until his death. He had a family of nine children, viz: Angeline, who
married Henry Cummins; Martin, Franklin, Elizabeth, who married Horatio Aldrieh;
James E., Vincent, Clarissa, who married John Champlin; Anna, who married
Eugene Stevens, and Eugene. The subject of this sketch was reared in Potter
county, obtained a common school education, and began life for himself as a lum-
berman, which business he followed four years. In 1860 he located in Westfield
township, Tioga county, where he cleared and improved a farm which he still owns,
and is now the owner of two farms in Westfield township, embracing 260 acres,
and one of 111 acres in Harrison township. Potter county, besides some village
property in Harrison Valley. Mr. Dodge was married October 28, 1860, to Alpha
A. Champlin, a daughter of George and Loncy (Works) Champlin, of Westfield
township. Politically, he is a Republican, and has held various township offices.

Deacon Richahd Ellis, sixth child of Reuben and Mehitabel (Scott) Ellis,
was bom in Ashfield, Massachusetts, December 20, 1760. His paternal grand-
father, Richard Ellis, born in Dublin, Ireland, in 1704, came to America in 1717,
landing in Massachusetts, and in 1728 married Jane Phillips, a daughter of Capt.
John Phillips, of Easton, that State. They had a fam.ily of nine children. Reuben
Ellis, the father of Deacon Richard Ellis, was born in Easton, November 5, 1728,
there grew to manhood, and served in the French and Indian War from 1754 to
1757. He was an ensign in the Colonial service, and three of his sons served in the
Revolutionary War, the subject of this sketch being one of them. In 1811 Deacon
Richard Ellis settled in Delmar township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, purchasing
a large tract of land, upon which he later built two saw-mills and two erist-mills.



936 HISTOKT OF TIOGA COUNTY.

He вЦ†manufactured lumber on Pine creek, and was a man of great industry and enter-
prise. In later life he removed to EUisburg, Potter county, which was named ia
his honor, where he erected a saw-mill, a grist-mill and a tavern. He was twice
married, his first wife being Eunice Chilson, who bore him six children. His second
wife, Chloe Chilson, was a sister of his first, and to this union thirteen children were
bom. Mr. Ellis was a member of the Baptist church, to which denomination most
of his children adhered. He died at EUisburg, Potter county. May 14, 1841.

EiCHARD Ellis, Je., was born in Ashfield, Massachusetts, December 6, 1795,
a son of Deacon Eichard and Chloe Ellis, and came to Del'mar township, Tioga
county, with his parents in 1811. He became a Baptist minister, though not or-
dained for some years after he commenced to preach. He kept a general store and
shoe shop at Wellsboro, for several years. His wife was Patience Herrington, who
bore him four children, viz: Amasa, Consider, Samuel G. and John M. Mr. Ellis
died in Wellsboro, in 1827.

Amasa Ellis, eldest son of Eichard Ellis, Jr., was born in what is now Shippen
township, Tioga county, February 18, 1819. In 1840 he located in the town of
Willing, Allegany county, 'New York, where he followed farming imtil 1865, when
he removed to AVestfield, Tioga county, Pennsyh'ania, which has since been his home.
On September 29, 1849, he married Martha Schoonover, a daughter of Christopher
and Chloe (Pemberton) Schoonover, of Clymer township, Tioga county. Eive chil-
dren have been bom to this union, viz: Mary E., wife of E. A. Buck; Delos E., James
D., Frank and Charles. In religious belief, Mr. ElUs is a Baptist, and in politics, a
stanch Democrat. During his residence in Willing, New York, he held the oflGice
of supervisor for seven consecutive years.

Delos E. Ellis was bom in Allegany county, New York, in the town of Will-
ing, September 13, 1853, a son of Amasa and Martha Ellis. He came to Tioga coimty
with his parents when about twelve years old, and obtained a common school educa-
tion. Since early manhood he has been engaged in farming in Westfield township.
On October 10,1882, Mr. Ellis married Harriet Bush, a daughter of Peter B.and Mary
A. Bush, of Westfield township, and has three children: Fred, Bessie M. and Burt.
In politics, he is a Democrat.

Job Eexfoed was bom in Cincinnatus, Cortland county, New York, January 23,
1817, and was of Irish descent. About 1839 he came to Shippen township, Tioga
county, Pennsylvania, and for twenty-eight years was engaged in lumbering on Pine
creek. In 1865 he located in Westfield, and in 1877 removed to Harrison Valley,
Potter county, where he died in 1880. His wife was Chloe Ellis, a daughter of
David Ellis, of Shippen township. She became the mother of three children who
grew to maturity, viz: Perry E., Nancy 0., wife of J. W. Stevens, and Stella, wife
of Dr. E. J. Shaw. Mr. Eexford enjoyed a wide acquaintance in Tioga county,
and was one of its prominent citizens for many years. In politics, he was a Eepub-
Ucan, and filled the office of county commissioner for three terms, being the only
man to enjoy that honor in the history of the county.

Peeet E. Eexfoed, only son and eldest child of Job and Chloe Eexford, was
bom in Shippen township, Tioga county, February 22, 1845, and grew to manhood
in his native county. He attended the common schools in boyhood, and began his
business life as a farmer, which vocation he has followed up to the present. Since
1866 he has occupied his present homestead farm in Westfield township. In 1870



BIOGBAPHIOAL SKETCHES. 937



he married Clara J. Swetland, a daughter of M. W. and Parmelia (Stevens) Swetland,
of Harrison township, Potter county, and has three children, viz: Lillian, Edith and
Lena. Mr. Eexford is a member of the Baptist church, in politics, a Eepubliean,
and has held various township offices.

John P. Stephenson was born in Dumfrieshire, Scotland, August 13, 1836, a
son of James and Elizabeth (Pool) Stephenson. He was reared upon a farm in his
native land, and in 18-52 immigrated to Pennsylvania and settled in Westfield town-
ship, Tioga county, where he spent five years. For the following five years he was
engaged in farming in Du Page county, Illinois. In July, 1862, he enlisted in Com-
pany B, One Hundred and Fifth Illinois Volunteers, and participated in the battle
of Stone Eiver and all of the engagements on Sherman's March to the Sea. He was
honorably discharged at Washington, D. C, June 7, 1865. Eeturning to Westfield,
Tioga county, he there engaged in farming, and was also employed in the planing
mill at Cowanesque for eleven years. Here he lost his right hand, and has since
lived retired from active life. Mr. Stephenson was married in 1845, to Agnes Lat-
timer, a daughter of James and Helen (Haining) Lattimer, of Westfield township, all
natives of Dumfrieshire, Scotland. They are the parents of ten children, viz: John,
William,' Mathew, Helen, wife of A. P. King; James, Archibald, Mary, Janet, Prank
and George.' In politics, Mr. Stephenson is a Eepubliean, has held the offices of
school director and supervisor of Westfield township, and is a member of the G. A. E.

Samuel Tubes was bom in Elkland, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in February,
1833. His father, James Tubbs, was a son of Samuel Tubbs, Sr., a pioneer oi Elk-
land, who at one time owned the land upon which that borough stands. James was
bom in January, 1800, and came to the site of Elkland with his parents in 1811.
He married Sally Coates, and they were the parents of two sons: Samuel and Benja-
min. The former was reared in Elkland and Brookfield townships, and now resides
in Brookfield, where he has been engaged in farming for more than half a century,
having cleared and improved three farms in that township. He married Mary Lewis,
a daughter of Simon Lewis, of Brookfield. Mrs. Tubbs became the mother of four
children, and died December 9, 1872. The children are as follows: James B.,
Jeannette, wife of Morgan Kizer; Charles F., and Lueina, the last of whom died
Febraary 5, 1873. Mr. Tubbs is a stanch Eepubliean, and one of the substantial
farmers of his native county.

James B. Tubes, eldest son of Samuel and Mary Tubbs, was bom in Brookfield
township, Tioga county, July 3, 1844. He received an academical education in
Union and Troupsburg Academies. He has followed agriculture as an occupation
since boyhood, but has devoted some attention to teaching vocal and band music,
and was chorister in the Methodist Episcopal church over twenty-five years. He
located in Westfield in 1867, which has since been his home. In September, 1892,
he was appointed superintendent of Mt. Pleasant Cemetery, which position he still
occupies. Mr. Tubbs was married March 16, 1867, to Mary Snyder, a daughter
of John and Sally (Marble) Snyder, of Harrison, Potter county, and has two
children: Carrie G., wife of Frank Wedge, and Lewis L. He is a member of
the Methodist Episcopal church; also of the Grange, and the E. A. U., and is
Wigwam of Fleetfoot Tribe, No. 366, Improved Order of Eed Men. In politics,
lie is a Eepubliean, has held the office of constable, and is now serving his second
term as assessor of Westfield township.



938, HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Chaeles H. Maetin was born in Erwin, Steuben county. New York, August
2, 1850, a son of Alfred and Mary J. (Onan) Martin. His paternal grandfather,
Hiram Martin, was a son of John Martin, a pioneer of Addison, New York. His
maternal grandfather, James Onan, was born in Ireland September 15, 1785.
In 1806, being then in his twenty-first year, he left his native country for America.
While on his way across the ocean he was taken by a British man-of-war and held
prisoner three years, when he effected his escape. After remaining secreted in Porto
Eieo three months, he made his way to the United States, and was naturalized in
Philadelphia, September 20, 1815. He afterwards removed to Cattaraugus county,
New York. The subject of this sketch was reared in his native county, and there
received a common school education. In 1869 he located at Cowanesque, Tioga
county, Pennsylvania, and began work in the sash and blind factory at Cowanesque,
afterwards owned and operated by him for two years, and of which he has held the
position of foreman for eighteen years. Mr. Martin married Olive Luce, a daughter
of Ira and Isabel (Pease) Luce, of Cayuga county. New York, September 30, 1874,
and has one son, Eandall. In polities, he is a Democrat, has held various township
ofSces, and is now postmaster of Cowanesque. He is a member of Jemison Lodge,
I. 0. 0. F., of Westfield.

Dana Lbaen was bom in Groton, Tompkins county. New York, May 31, 1849,
son of Daniel J. S. and Catherine (Houser) Learn. Both his paternal and ma-
ternal grandfathers, John Learn and Samuel Houser, lived at Lansing, Tompkins
county. Our subject was reared in his native county, and obtained a common school
education. In 1870 he came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and for two years
worked on a farm and in the lumber woods. In 1873 he engaged in farming in
Clymer township, and the following year was elected constable of that subdivision.
In 1875 he removed to Woodhull, Steuben county. New York, but returned to Tioga
county in 1876, and located in Westfield township, where he followed agriculture
for three years. In 1879 he purchased a farm in Brookfield township, and lived
upon it two years. In 1880 he bought 110 acres in Westfield township, to which
he afterwards added fifty-seven acres adjoining, malting a total of 167 acres, seventy
of which he cleared and improved himself. Mr. Learn married Anna Baker, a
daughter of Sylvanus and Sally (Guiles) Baker, of Westfield township, February
5, 1873. Six children have been bom to this union, viz: L. Claude, Alta J., George
W., Grace, Clair and William. In politics, Mr. Learn is a Democrat; has held the
office of school director of Westfield township for two years, and is one of the sub-
stantial farmers in his locality.

Petee Rushmoee came from Dutchess county. New Y'ork, to Tioga county,
Pennsylvania, early in the present century, and settled at Knoxville, removing at
a later day to Clymer township, where he cleared and improved a farm, upon which
he spent the remaining years -of his life. His wife was Amelia Wyatt, and their
children were as follows: Samuel, Amelia, who married George Campbell; Elsie,
who married Elihu Wixon; Abbey, who married Arch Knox; John, Silas, Emily,
who married William Tate; Joshua, Lizzie, who became the wife of Joseph Sunder-
lain, and Watson E.

Silas Rushmoee, son of Peter and Amelia Eushmore, was a native of New
York state, and came to Tioga county with his parents. He was a tanner and



BIOGKAPHICAL SKETCHES. 939



currieT, and operated a tannery in Clymer township about fifteen years, where he
also cleared and improved a farm. His wife was Hannah Baker, a daughter of
James and Deborah Baker, of "Warsaw, New York, who became the mother of eight
children, viz: Watson E., James B., Peter, Silas, Levi, William, Deborah, who mar-
ried Wallace Wheaton, and Frank. Mr. Eushmore was a Democrat, in politics, and
filled various offices in Clymer township. He died upon his farm in that township,
August 7, 1878, at the age of sixty-four years.

Watson E. Eushmoee, eldest son of Silas and Hannah Eushmore, was bom in
Warsaw, Yates county, New York, September 16, 1843, was reared in Clymer
township, Tioga county, and obtained a common school education. In 1869 he
commenced farming for himself in Clymer township, which occupation he has since
successfully continued, owning two fine farms in Westfield township, where he per-



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 127 of 163)