Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 129 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 129 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


now Austinburg, which is named in his honor, and there engaged in general merchan-
dising until 1892. ■ A postoffice was established at this point in 1877, mainly through
his efforts, of which he was the first incumbent. He held the office until August,
1893, when he voluntarily resigned. In June, 1878, he married Emeline Seely, of
Troupsburg, New York, who bore him three children, all of whom are dead. His
second marriage occurred October 30, 1888, with Harriet Seely, of Knoxville. Mr.
Austin is a member of the Masonic order, and also of the G. A. E. In politics, he
is a Eepublican, and has served as clerk of Brookfield township twO' terms.

William L. Etdee was born in Gloucester, England, January 8, 1857, and is a
son of Charles Henry Eyder, a member of one of the old and well known families
of that town. He was reared in his native land, and there received his education,
with the exception of three winter terms after coming to the United States. At the
age of fourteen he entered the British navy, where he spent five years. In 1875 he
came to the United States, and located in Livingston county. New York, where he
followed agricultural pursuits five years, and then removed to Brookfield township,
Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he has since been engaged in farming. In 1891
he purchased what is known as the Grove farm, embracing ninety-six acres, prior to
which year he had conducted the old Samuel Bacon farm. In 1879 Mr. Eyder mar-
ried Mary Coleman, a daughter of Joseph and Eliza Coleman, natives of England,
who came to the United States in 1856. Four children are the fruits of this union,
viz: Mattie, Willie, Mabel and Maggie. Mr. Eyder is an attendant of the Methodist
Episcopal church, and a member of the K. 0. T. M. Politically, a Eepublican, he
is one of the respected citizens of Brookfield township.

Geoege Eiettee was bom- in Wurtemburg, Germany, December 15, 1830, a son
of Michael and Fredericka (Bach) Eietter. He was reared and educated in his native
land, and in 1854 immigrated to the United States, and soon after located at Smeth-
port, McKean county, Pennsylvania, where he worked by the month on a farm for
two years. He then engaged in f aiming for himself in that county, which he con-
tinued for tw3nty-f our years, four years at Smethport and twenty years at Eew City,
clearing and improving a farm at the latter place. In 1881 he removed to Brook-
field township, Tioga county, where he has since resided, and now owns a fine farm



BIOGKAPHICAL SKETCHES. 947



of 400 acres. Mr. Eietter was majiied August 24, 1856, (o Eosa Burtch, a daughter
of Prederiek and Barbara (Fleisch) Burtch, of McKean county. Five children have
blessed this union, viz: Christina W., wife of Gotthold Burtch; John F., Ernest,
Frank and Delano. Mrs. Eietter died August 24, 1885, aged fifty-seven years. In
politics, Mr. Eietter, is a Democrat, and in religion, a member of the Methodist
Episcopal church. He is a prominent supporter of the Patrons of Husbandry, aud
is one of the most successful farmers in Brookfield township.



CHAPTEE LXII.

BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES.
Chatham, Clymek, Gaines, Elk and Shippen Townships.



Stlvestee Teeat, Se., was bom in Madison county. New York, April 14,
1802, a son of Peter and Hannah Treat, who were of English ancestry, and settled
in Chatham township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1827, locating on the farm
now owned by his son, Sylvester, which he cleared and improved from the wilder-
ness. He resided there until his death, October 5, 1866. He first purchased 160 acres,
to which he kept adding until he owned 300 acres of good land. He was one of
the substantial citizens of Chatham, and was honored and respected by his neigh-
bors. His wife, Lucinda, was a daughter of Abiatha and Alvira (Holt) Gates, of
Madison county, New York, and bore him a family of seven children, viz: Mary,
wife of Thomas Owlett; Lydia, wife of Dr. William B. Eich; Eufus G., Caroline,
wife of L. D. Carl; Darinda L., wife of James H. Carl; Amelia, wife of Leonidas
Avery, and Sylvester.

EuFtrs G. Teeat, eldest son of Sylvester Treat, Sr., was bom on his father's
farm in Chatham townehip, Tioga county, July 31, 1832, there grew to manhood,
and attended the common schools of his district. He owns and occupies a part of the
old farm settled by his father, purchased before and since the latter's death, upon
which he has lived since 1853. On August 14, 1853, he married Mary J. Snyder, a
daughter of John and Adeline (Baker) Snyder, of Faxmington township. They
have reared a family of six children, viz: Caroline, wife of Thomas Eansom; Nellie,
wife of George Eansom; Jesse, who married Lizzie Bosard; Mary, wife of E. W.
Conklin; Ernest, and Ada, wife of Frank Palmer. In September, 18ff4, Mr. Treat
enhsted in Company D, One Hundred and Ninety-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteers.
He was in the battle of Boydstown Plank Eoad, October 27, 1864, and for six
weeks after was on picket duty at Port Sedgwick, where he was transferred to the



948 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Army of the James, under Gen. B. F. Butler, and later under Gen. 0. C. Ord. He
was mustered out of the service June 28, 1865, and received his final discharge July 8,
1865. Mr. Treat is one of Chatham's leading farmers, and has been postmaster of
East Chatham since 1870. In politics, he is a Republican, and is a member of the
G. A. R., and K. of H.

Sylvester Teeat, youngest son of Sylvester Treat, Sr., was born in Chatham
township, Tioga coauty, upon the farm where he now resides, December 36, 1846.
He was reared to manhood upon the old homestead, and became its owner at his
father's death. This farm now embraces 150 acres of well-improved land. On
September 38, 1868, Mr. Treat married Sarah Miller, a daughter of Samuel and
Judy (Close) Miller, of Chatham township. They are the parents of eight children,
viz: Lewis, Alice, wife of Judd Butler; Burt, Agnes L., Fannie, Claude S., Samuel
and Clara. In politics, Mr. Treat is a Republican, and has held the ofB.ee of school
director for six years. He is a member of the K. of H., and one of the progressive
farmers of the community.

Matthbvf Boom was born in Delaware county, New York, in 1798, and was a
son of Forgarty Boom. About 1836 he settled in Chatham township, Tioga county,
Pennsylvania, taking up 200 acres of land, and built a log cabin in the midst of
the forest. Here he cleared and improved a farm, upon which he resided until his
death. His «vife, Caroline Pangbum, a native of Montgomery county. New York,
was'the mother of eight children, named as follows: John F., William, Mary A., who
married James P. King; Sylvester, Phoebe E., wife of Paul Hunter; Darius, Melissa,
wife of William Coburn, and Ben. Mr. Boom did service as a guide in the War of
1812. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and a very worthy
citizen.

Ben Boom, youngest child of Matthew Boom, was born on the old homestead
in Chatham township, Tioga county, April 4, 1843, there grew to manhood, and has
always followed farming as an occupation. In 1861 he married Nancy Mattison, a
daughter of Gardner and Betsey (Winegardner) Mattison, of Knoxville, Tioga
county, and has two children: Carrie E., wife of Myron Reynolds, and Jessie. In
politics, Mr. Boom is a Republican, and is a member of the K. of H. He is one of
Chatham's progressive farmers, and owns and occupies the old homestead settled by
his father about sixty years ago.

Jeebmiah Gaknee M-ern bom in Chenango county, New York, October 3, 1804,
and was a son of Gideon and Patty Garner. In 1841 he came from Locke, Cayuga
county, New York, to Chatham township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and settled
on the farm now owned by his son, Delos, upon which he resided imtil his death,
August 30, 3879, in his seveaty-fifth year. He cleared and improved this farm
through the passing years, and succeeded in making it valuable property. Mr.
Garner was a hard-working, honest and industrious farmer, and was highly esteemed
by his neighbors. He was married to Maria Reynolds, October 2, 1825, to which
union were born eight children, viz: Lucy A., wife of Charies Mosher; Wilham
J., Daniel W., Betsey J., wife of R. J. Mosher; Martha M., wife of John F. Ackley;
Delos, Sarah L., wife of Amason Sensabatigh, and Lucius R. Mrs. Garner died
March 5, 1875, in the seventieth year of her age.

Delos Gaenee was born in Cayuga county. New York, July 10, 1838, and came



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 949



to Chatham township with his parents, Jeremiah and Maria Garner, in 1841, since
which time he has lived upon his present farm. He attended the district schools
in boyhood, and his entire attention has been devoted to farming. Mr. Gamer
was mai'ried April 39, 1871, to Josephine GrifSn, a daughter of Philo and Jane
(Leach) Griffin, of Middlebury township. They have an adopted daughter, Millie
E. In politics, Mr. Gamer is a Eepubliean, and is recognized as one of Chatham's
leading citizens.

Lucius E. Gabneh, youngest child of Jeremiah Gamer, was bom on the old
homestead in Chatham township, Tioga county, June 12, 1844. He was reared in
his native township, attended the common schools in boyhood, and has always fol-
lowed farming as an occupation. Since 1880 he has resided on the old Sprague
farm in Westfield township. On April 29, 1871, Mr. Garner married Mary
Sprague, a daughter of Thomas and Keziah Sprague, of Westfield township, and
has one son, Jerrold Paige. Mr. Gamer is a Eepubliean, has filled several local
offices in the township, and is one of its respected citizens.

Solomon Coopek was born in Tompkins county, New York, April 5, 1827,
a son of Jason and Maria (Champlain) Cooper. He came with his parents to Chat-
ham township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1844, where his father took up a
tract of land, upon which he resided until his death. Jason Cooper was a soldier
in the War of 1812, and reared the following children: Solomon, Erasmus, Hannah,
who married "Warren Boom; Winchester E., Betsey, who married Henry Madison;
Burdick, Eobert, and Esther, who married William E. Freeman. On attaining
his majority, Solomon Cooper engaged in farming, on the farm now occupied by
W. E. Cooper, cleared and improved a part of it, and there died, January 11, 1856,
in his twenty-ninth year. His wife, Urania J., was a daughter of Samuel and
Ehza (Stringer) Mack, of Cayuga county. New York. She became the mother of
four children, three of whom survive: Eliza, wife of Norman Tremain; Jason and
Joseph. Mr. Cooper was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and in
politics, a Whig.

Joseph Coopeh, youngest son of Solomon and Urania J. Cooper, was bom in
Chatham township, Tioga county, March 22, 1853. He left home when twelve
years of age, and for five years worked at anything he could find to do. At the
age of seventeen he engaged in farming, and so successful have been his efforts
through the passing years, that he owns to-day 700 acres of land in Tioga county,
principally in Chatham township. For upwards of twenty years Mr. Cooper has
been engaged in buying and shipping stock to the New York markets, and also has
been more or less interested in general merchandising. He has devoted his atten-
tion to various other business interests, and has been generally successful in all his
undertakings. Mr. Cooper was married July 9, 1870, to Helen Mosher, a daughter
of Charles and Lucy A. (Gamer) Mosher, of Clymer township, and has three chil-
dren: Lelia, wife of Luther Davis; Delos, who married Ada McNinch, and Fred
A. In politics, he is a Eepubliean, and has served as supervisor of Chatham town-
ship for ten years. He is a member of the I. 0. 0. F. and the K. of H., and takes
an active interest in social affairs. Mr. Cooper is pre-eminently a self-made man.
Without any school advantages, he made his way in the world from the age of twelve



950 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

years, and is to-day one of the leading business men of his native county, as well
as one of its largest land-owners

Geoege Feeeis was bom in Locke, Cayuga county. New York, in 1833, and
was a grandson of Joseph Ferris, a native of New England. He came to Chatham
township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1851, where he cleared and improved a
farm, now owned by Lucy Ann Goodwin, and a grandson, Loren Clark. In later
life he purchased another farm near Shortsville, Chatham township, where he died
in 1877, in his fifty-sixth year. He married Huldah A. Harris, a daughter of Joseph
and Eunice (Boga) Harris, of Massachusetts, who bore him three children: Joseph
H., Lucy Ann, wife of William Goodwin, and George A. Mr. Ferris was a member
of the Methodist Episcopal church, and an adherent of the Eepublican party.

Joseph H. Feeeis, eldest son of George Ferris, was bom in Locke, Cayuga
county. New York, December 13, 1844, and was in his seventh year when his parents
located in Chatham township, Tioga county. He obtained his education in the
common schools and at the State Normal School, Mansfield. At eighteen years of
age he began his career as a teacher, and followed that profession during the winter
seasons for fifteen years. He was principal of Westfield High School in 1877, and
taught his last term at Little Marsh in 1880. Mr. Ferris has also followed the
carpenter's trade to some extent, as well as farming, and was in the mercantile
business at Little Marsh for a year and a half, and for several years was engaged in
huckstering on a large scale. On December 38, 1876, he married Emma J. Cady,
a daughter of Jerry P. Cady, of Cayuga county. New York. They are the parents
of four children, viz: Earl J., Frank A., Sadie Z. and Nellie. Mr. Ferris is a stanch
Eepublican, and was elected sheriff of Tioga county in 1885, and served three
years. He has also held nearly all the different local offices in Chatham township,
and is a member of the I. 0. 0. F.

Alvin H. Eice, a native of Delaware county. New York, bom December 2,
1810, settled in Chatham township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1847, on a tract
of forest land, where he cleared and improved a farm, built a saw-mill and blacksmith
shop, and carried on one of the first stores at Little Marsh. His wife was Sally
Faulkner, and their children were as follows: Luther, Orrin, George W., Erastus,
Austin D., Chancey J., Amelia A., William A., James M., Eeuben H., Sally A. and
Charles A. Mr. Eice died March 23, 1869, and his wife, January 37", 1880.

Austin D. Eice was bom in Delaware county. New York, June 1, 1839, a son
of Alvin H. Eice, and came to Chatham township, Tioga county, with his parents
when he was about eight years old. He attended the district schools in boyhood, and
learned the blacksmith's trade, which he followed about seven years. On September
17, 1861, he enlisted in Company F, Forty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served
with his regiment in the battles of South Mountain and Antietam. He lost his
left leg in the latter engagement, September 17, 1863, and received an honorable
discharge in March, 1863. On his retum home. he learned the shoemaker's trade,
which he followed eight years, but later engaged in general merchandising for five
years, since which time he has followed agricultural pursuits more or less. Mr.
Eice was married July 11, 1868, to Martha A. English, a daughter of George and
Ellen (McEwen) English, of Delmar township. Her father was a native of Ireland,
and her mother of Delmar township, Tioga county. Her maternal grandfather.



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 951



John McEwen, was of Scotch-Irish descent, and a pioneer of Delmar township.
His wife was a Miss Miller. Mr. and Mrs. Eiee have two children living: Ellen wife
of Ural King, and Hazel. Mrs. Eice is a charter member of the Woman's Eelief
Corps, of Little Marsh. Mr. Eice is a member of the G. A. E., the TJ. V. L., the
K. 0. T. M., and the K. of H. In politics, he is an ardent Democrat, and served four
years as postmaster of Little Marsh under President Cleveland's first administration.
He was appointed to the same office in 1894, which he now occupies, and has held
various local offices in Chatham township, including that of justice of the peace for
twenty-four years.

NoEMAN A. AsHTON^ was born in Cayuga county, New York, ISTovember 10,
1827, a son of Matthew and Esther (Lewis) Ashton. He was reared in that State,
there married Hannah C. Mchols, a daughter of Henry and Electa (Eisden) Nichols,
of Livingston county, and in 1864 came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and en-
gaged in farming in Chatham township. Here he continued in agricultural pursuits
up to his death. May 17, 1890. Five children were bom to him, four of whom grew
to maturity, viz: Frances, wife of J. M. Swimelar; ■ Catharina, wife of Grant Gleason;
Nathan W. and Henry A. Mr. Ashton was a Democrat, and filled various local
offices in his township.

Benjamin J. Fitlkeeson, physician and surgeon, was bom in Gulich town-
ship, Clearfield county, Pennsylvania, March 7, 1855, a son of Daniel and Eleanor
(Stephens) Fulkerson, and is of Welch and German extraction. He was educated
at Eeed Institute, Clarion county, Pennsylvania, and in 1873 began the study of
medicine with Dr. W. H. Edwards, of Smith's Mills, Clearfield county. In 1874-75,
he attended a course of lectures at Bellevue Medical College, New York, and in 1879-
80, and in 1880-81, he attended lectures at the University of New York City, where
he was graduated in March, 1881. In August of that year, he located at Little
Marsh, in Chatham township, Tioga county, where he built up quite an extensive
practice, and became widely known as a good physician. In 1895 he removed to
Tyrone, Pennsylvania, where he now resides and pursues his profession. Dr. Ful-
kerson was married September 1, 1881, to Ida J. Alleman, a daughter of Henry
and Catherine (Shoemaker) Alleman, of AUeman's, Clearfield county. They are
the parents of three children, viz: Katie, Eleanor and Daniel. In politics, he is a
stanch Eepubliean, and is a member of the I. 0. 0. F„ the K. of H., and the K. 0. T.
M. societies.

CLTMEB TOWNSHIP.

Luke Scott was bom in Vermont, May 11, 1765, and settled at Knoxville,
Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1804, where he engaged in lumbering. He sub-
sequently lived on Troup's creek, in Deerfield township, and resided with his son
Eufus, in Clymer township, at the time of his death, September 19, 1838. His
wife was Chloe Darling, and their children were as follows: Joanna, who married
Julius Seely; Stephen, Luke, Caroline, who married Archibald Knox; Orril, who
married ^ohn Goodspeed, Sr.; James, Eufus, Charles, and Harriet, who married
Orson Pemberton.

Eufus Scott, son of Luke Scott, was bom in New Hampshire, July 34, 1802,
and was about two jeaxs old when his parents settled at Knoxville, Tioga county.
In 1823 he located in Clymer township, where he cleared and improved the farm



952 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

now owned and occupied by his son, Eli D., and resided there until his death, June
i, 1884, aged eighty-two years. His wife, Caroline, was a daughter of Robert
and Hannah (Mattison) Dickens, of Clymer township. They were the parents of
ten children, eight of whom grew to maturity, viz: Lafayette, Luke, James, Joel,
Eli D., Chloe, who married Stephen Dickens; Lemuel and Winfield.

WiNFiELD Scott, youngest son of Eufus Scott, and grandson of Luke Scott,
the pioneer, was bom on the old Scott homestead in Clymer township. May 18,
1847. He was educated at Union and Ulysses Academies, and has always followed
farming as an occupation. With the exception of a two years' residence in Hector
township. Potter county, he has spent his entire life in Clymer township. In
1873 he married Eosina Scott, a daughter of Levi and Polly (Seamans) Scott, of
Westfield, and has one daughter, Julia L. Mr. Scott is a leading farmer of Clymer,
and an active supporter of every worthy enterprise. In politics, he is a Republican,
and in religion, an adherent of the Methodist Episcopal church. He is a member
of the K. 0. T. M., and the P. of H., and takes a deep interest in both societies.

Silas S. Gbiffin was born in Georgetown, Madison county, New York, June
30, 1811, a son of William and Polly (Sweet) Griffin, and was of English descent.
His grandfather, Conrad Griffin, immigrated from England to Long Island. Our
subject was reared in his native county, and in 1833 settled in Clymer township,
Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he cleared and improved a farm, now occupied
by his widow, the wife of Charles P. Bruce, upon which he spent the remaining
years of his life. He was twice married. His first wife was Elizabeth Thompson,
daughter of Bethlehem Thompson, a pioneer of Deerfield and Cljnner townships.
Two children were the fruits of this union: Mary E., who married Hannibal Ladd,
and Lucius. On May 7, 1845, he married Susannah M. Thomas, a daughter of
Abial P. and Lydia L. (Pickett) Thomas, natives of Connecticut and Massachusetts,
respectively, and early settlers of Troupsburg, New York. Eight children were
born to this marriage, viz: Silas Alvin, William Albert, Lucetta S., wife of Einaldo
Taylor; Maretta L., \vdfe of William PauU; Maletta Lavina, wife of John South-
worth; Annis Adora, wife of Eugene Schoonover; Lemuel A., and Sarah J., wife
of James Keman. Mr. Griffin was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church
for many years, and in politics, a supporter of the Republican party.

Silas Alvin Geiffin, eldest son of Silas S. and Susannah M. (Thomas)
Griffin, was born in Clymer township, Tioga county, January 4, 1846. He was
educated in the common schools and Union Academy. In August, 1864, he en-
listed in Company D, Two Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, and
participated in all of the battles in which his regiment was engaged until the close
of the war. He was wounded in the right leg in the last fight in front of Peters-
burg, and was honorably discharged from the service May 31, 1865. After his
return home, he remained on the homestead until 1868, when he removed to a farm
of his own. He has cleared four farms in Clymer township, ha^ resided on his pres-
ent farm since 1879, and is one of the largest land-owners in this section of the
county. On August 11, 1867, he married Sai-ah E. Hurd, a daughter of Russell
and Louisa (Higgins) Hurd, of Gaines township, who bore him seven children, five
of whom grew to maturity, viz: Benjamin A., who married Olive Hoagland; Eva
M., who mai-ried Frank Keman, and died leaving one son, George Alvin, now being



BIOGBAPHIOAL SKETCHES. 953



reared by our subject; Maretta A., wife of Clayton Scott; Clai-k S., and Walter
D. Mr. Griffin is one of the prominent and progressive faxmers of Tioga county,
and takes a commendable interest in public affairs. In politics, a Republican, he
has held the office of school director several terms, and is a leading member of the
G. A. E.

Isaac Beach, a native of Dutchess county, 'New York, came from Tompkins
county. New York, to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in April, 1836, settling in
Clymer township, then a part of Westfield. He cleared and improved a farm, now
occupied by his son Burdett, where he also kept a store and entertained the travel-
ing public. He was quite a prominent citizen of his time, and both he and wife
died upon the old homestead. Her maiden name was Jane Miller, a native of
Tompkins county. New York, and she became the mother of seven children who
grew to maturity, viz: Jefferson B., Emily, who married Joshua Eushmore; Clark
W., Burdett, Annette, wife of Israel Smith; Almira, who married John Sunderlain,
and Miranville K. Mrs. Beach was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church,
but her husband was connected with no religious denomination.

Jefferson B. Beach, eldest son of Isaac and Jane Beach, was bom in Dryden,
Tompkins county. New York, August 25, 1835, and came with his parents to what
is now Clymer township, Tioga county, in 1836. He attended the district schools
in boyhood, and farming has been his life vocation. He cleared 350 acres of land
in Clymer township himself, and is the owner of four fine farms in that township,
embracing nearly 400 acres of land. In 1885 he retired from active b\isiness life,
and has since been a resident of "Westfield. Mr. Beach was married October 29,
1848, to Catherine Douglas, a daughter of William and Sally (Eedner) Douglas,
of Hector township. Potter county. Eight children were bom to this union, viz:
Wallace D., Augustus C, Ezra G., Charles L., Ida A., wife of Leon Kilbourn; John
W., who died aged eleven months; Jenny S., wife of Guy Waterman; Nettie, wife
of Frank Bristol, and Elwood S. Mr. Beach and wife are members of the Methodist
Episcopal church, in which he served as steward forty-three years, and is now filling



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 129 of 163)