Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 131 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 131 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Patrick is now a Jeweler in the city of New York. Andrew turned his attention to
farming and lumbering. On July 33, 1863, he enlisted in Company D, One Hun-
dred and Sixty-first New York Volunteers, and served through the war. He par-
ticipated in the battles of Port Hudson, Sabine Cross Roads, Pleasant Hill and the
Siege of Fort Morgan, and later was on guard duty over the assassins of Lincoln.
He was wounded in the battle of Fort Morgan by a bullet through the left wrist,
and was captured at Sabin Pass and served in rebel prisons at the mouth of Eed
river from September 8, 1863, to July 33, 1864. After the war he returned home,
where he devoted himself to farming. In 1866 he came to Tioga county, Pennsyl-
vania, where he engaged in lumbering and afterwards in agricultural pursuits. He
now resides in Clymer township, where he has two farms, one of fifty and another
of forty acres. Mr. Brimegin has been twice married. His first wife was Emma
Swope, a native of Tioga county, and a daughter of Abiather Swope, of Shippen
township, to which union were born two children: Frank E. and Nellie E. His
second wife was Mrs. Eulalia Metcalf, a daughter of Joseph Lane, of Brookfield
township. Two children are the fruits of this union: Lloyd E. and Nettie. In poli-
tics, Mr. Brimegin is a Republican, and has held nearly every office in Elk, Shippen
and Gaines townships, among them that of supervisor for ten years. In 1894 he




IKerna^.VV



tiyt^^/^^y



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 961

was elected a jury commissioner, in which office he is still serving. He is a member
of E. C. Bahcock Post, G. A. E., of Westfield, and takes a deep interest in all matters
pertaining to the veterans of the war.

GAINES AND ELK TOWNSHIPS.

Maktin W. Ftjeman was bom in Gaines township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania,
August 30, 1829, a son of William and Mary (Waldorff) Furman. His father came
from Sunbury, Northumberland county, to Gaines township, Tioga county, about
1806, and settled on the south bank of Pine creek, a mile and a half east of the site
of Gaines. He had been in this county several times prior to his final settlement;
was a noted hunter and was employed with the surveyors of the Bingham estate.
He was the father of ten children, and died in 1861. His widow survived him about
two years. Martin W. was reared on the homestead farm, and was trained to habits
of frugality and industry. In March, 1849, he married Eunice J. Dartt, a daughter
of John and Elizabeth Dartt, of Delmar township. The following children were
bom to this union, all of whom arrived at maturity before they died: Evelina, who
married Daniel Furman, of Delmar; Elizabeth, wife of Fred. Nobles, of the same
township; Delphine, who married John Ackley, of Sabinsville; George Hurlburt,
who married Julia Weeks; Manning, who mairied Hattie Dunbar, of Brookland,
Potter county; Cyrus, of Cross Forks, Potter county; Julius, of Gaines township;
Daniel, who lives in Corry, Erie county; Aurilla, wife of Charles McCoy, of Corry;
Annie N., wife of W. Nathan Ladd, of Gaines township; John Norton, of Brook-
land, Potter county, and Julia, wife of John Behrman, of Gaines township. About
1849 Mr. Furman bought a farm in Delmar, on which he lived up to 1861. He then
sold it and returned to the old homestead to care for his parents in their declining
years. After their death he took charge of the farm and cultivated it up to 1893,
when he sold it and purchased his present homestead. Though farming has been
his principal occupation, he has devoted considerable attention to lumber jobbing,
in which he has been fairly successful. Mrs. Furman died in 1877, and about three
years after her death, he married for his second wife, Viancy Hacket, of Sabinsville.
She became the mother of two children who died in infancy. She died and June
30, 1891, he married Sarah J. Strait, a daughter of Stephen and Mabel (Omes)
Strait, of Clymer township, Tioga county. In politics, he is a Eepubliean, and is
recognized as one of the substantial farmers of his native township.

Joshua Bebnatjee was born in Gaines township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania,
June 12, 1827, a son of Conrad and Maria (Zuber) Bernauer. His father emigrated
from Germany to Philadelphia in 1814, where he met and married Maria Zuber.
They lived in that section of Pennsylvania up to 1817, in which year they came to
Tioga county and bought 175 acres of land in what is now Gaines township. Here
his wife died, and he married Sarah Smith, who died on October 16, 1865. He
cleared and improved his farm, and resided upon it until his death, August 1, 1870,
in his eighty-first year. Joshua was reared upon the homestead, and attended the
common schools of his district in boyhood. On attaining his majority he learned
the cabinet-maker's trade, and subsequently the carpenter's trade, which he has
followed more or less up to the present. September 16, 1864, he enlisted in Battery
D, First Pennsylvania Light Artillery, and a month later joined his regiment at
61



962 niPTOEY OP TIOGA COUNTY.

Cedar Creek, taking part in that battle. He was soon after sent to the general hos-
pital, Philadelphia, and was finally discharged June 8, 1865. Mr. Bemauer haa
been twice married. His first marriage occurred June 8, 1854, to Irene A. Smith,
a daughter of David and Lomanda Smith, of Gaines township, who bore him two
children, viz: Anna Maria, deceased, and Ellen Irene, wife of C. C. Flynn, of West
Pike, Potter county. Mrs. Bemauer died June 17, 1856. He was again married
February 28, 1857, to Lucy E. Beach, a daughter of Johial and Sally Beach, of Elk
township. Pout children were born to this union, as follows: Sally Bethana, who
died May 4, 1858; Mary Emeline, who died April 30, 1864; Morris John, of Gaines,
and Herbert, at home. Politically, Mr. Bemauer is a EepubUean, and has filled
several of the of&ces in his township. He is a member of the Free Baptist church,
and fills the office of deacon in that body. He is also a charter member of Marsh-
field Grange, No. 1113, P. of H., and is chaplain in the I. 0. G. T.

Alexandeh Mattison, originally spelled "Matteson," was born in Herkimer
county, 'N&w York, in 1810, and came with his parents, Alexander and Lydia
(Cleveland) Matteson, natives of Ehode Island, to the site of Knoxville, Tioga
county, Pennsylvania, in 1811. His father's brothers, Jonathan and Solomon, also
natives of Ehode Island, and their parents, came at the same time, from Herkimer
county, New York, and all settled on the Cowanesque river, where Knoxville now
stands. In 1815 Alexander and Jonathaja Matteson, and Joshua Colvin, erected
a saw-mill on the south bank of the Cowanesque, Alexander's wife sawing the first
board. In 1817 Jonathan built a grist-mill on the north bank of the river, opposite
the saw-mill, in connection with which was also a fulling-mill. The Mattesons were
interested in the erection of a log distillery about the same period, which stood in
the north part of the village. The subject of this sketch was reared at Knoxville,
whence he removed to Westfield, and about 1840 purchased a large tract of land in
Gaines township, containing a saw and grist-mill, where he later erected a hotel.
Lumbering was his principal occupation the greater portion of his life, and he was
a man of considerable enterprise and public spirit. He married Clara Potter, who
bore him a family of twelve children. Mr. Mattison was one of the best known citi-
zens in Gaines township, and died at his home in March, 1876.

Silas B. Mattison was bom in Westfield township, Tioga county, April 36,
1835, a son of Alexander and Clara Mattison. When he was five years old his parents
removed to Gaines township, where he assisted his father in lumbering and farming.
At the breaking out of the Eebellion, Silas B. enlisted in Company D, Fifty-seventh
Pennsylvania Volunteers, and participated in all of the battles in which his regiment
was engaged up to Chancellorsville, May 3, 1863, where he was taken prisoner. He
was paroled three weeks later at Eichmond, Virginia, was sent to Annapolis, Mary-
land, and was soon after discharged from the service. Eetuming home he purchased
a farm near Gaines, which he later sold and then bought his present home near
Marshfield, on which he has since resided. In April, 1865, Mr. Mattison married
Miss Lucy Coon, a daughter of Lyman and Lucy Coon. Seven children have been
bom to this marriage, as follows: Horatio, Grant, Howard, Andrew, Belle, Silas and
Clara E., the last being dead. Mr. Mattison is a charter member of Marshfield
Grange, 'So. 1113, P. of H., and in politics, a Eepublican.

John H. Baknhaet was bom in Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, Octo-



BIOGBAPHICAL SKETCHES. 963



ber 17, 1817, a son of Adam and Eachd (AnderBon) Barnhart, originally from
Union county. He was reared on a farm, and learned the carpenter's trade, which
was his principal occupation the greater part of his life. In 1843 he came to Tioga
county, Pennsylvania, and settled on a farm in Gaines township, immediately west
of the present Barnhart homestead, on which he located a few years later. At that
time Gaines was a comparative wilderness, with very few settlers and little or no
improvements. Mr. Barnhart assisted in building the first saw-mill on Elk run, as
well as the first house erected in that locality, that of David Smith, which is still
standing. By industry and economy he managed to clear and improve hit, farm, on
which he resided up to his death. May 18, 1894, being then one of the oldest citizens
in the township. On February 18, 1843, Mr. Barnhart married Sarah Harrison, a
daughter of John and Eachel (Freese) Harrison, who became the mother of ten
children, viz: Ann Elizabeth, wife of Justus D. Strait, of Gaines; Darwin, of the
same township; John M., Eachel 0., deceased; Amanda, wife of Oscar Macumber,
of Wisconsin; JuHa, deceased; Idessa M., wife of N. L. Hanscom, of Marshfield;
Justus W., deceased; Otis, and Ambrose B., the last two of whom reside with their
mother on the old homestead. Mr. Barnhart took an active interest in the affairs of
his township, and served as collector and treasurer. He was a kind husband and
father, a good citizen, and an honest, worthy man.

David Smith, a son of David Smith, Sr., was a native of New Haven county,
Connecticut, and came from Chenango county. New York, to Tioga county, Penn-
sylvania, in the fall of 1833. Thirteen years later he and his son, Octaviiis A., came
to the place now called Marshfield, Gaines township, cleared a piece of land, and
made other preparations for building a home. In February following he came again
and built a log house, which he occupied the following spring. This was the first
permanent settlement made on Elk run, though there was at the time a saw-mill in
operation about a mile from the mouth of that stream, of which John L. Phoenix, Sr.,
was proprietor. Mr. Smith lived on this farm up to the fall of 1869, when his feeble
health compelled him to take up his residence with his son, Octavius A , at whose
home he died March 15, 1870, aged eighty-eight years. His widow, whose maiden
name was Lomanda Wright, survived until April 30, 1875. They were the parents
of twelve children, nine of whom grew to maturity.

Octavius A. Smith, son of David and Lomanda Smith, was bom in Chenango
county, New York, May 5, 1833, and was only a few months old when his parents
came to Tioga county. Here he grew to manhood, receiving his education in the
public schools and Wellsboro Academy. About 1854 he located on a tract of timber
land near the site of what is now Marshfield, in Gaines township, and commenced
clearing and improving it, teaching school during the winter seasons. He has con-
tinued in agricultural pursuits on this farm up to the present, which he cleared
principally by his own individual efforts, and now in his riper yeaxs is enjoying the
fruits of a life of honest, persistent labor. Mr. Smith was married May 36, 1863, to
Hannah Kleinhans, a daughter of Carl and Wilhelmina (Hoeppe) Kleinhans, who
has borne him two children, viz: Marshall M., a merchant of Gaines, and WiUiel-
mina, wife of Prof. W. 0. Eobinson, supervisory principal of of the Athens High
schools, Athens, Pennsylvania. Mr. Smith has been township auditor for thirty
years, has filled the office of county commissioner one term, and that of county



964 HISTOKY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

auditor for three years, and has also served the people in other capacities. In poh-
tics, he is an ardent Eepublican. Mr. Smith possesses considerable poetic and literary
ability, and is the author of quite a number of worthy productions that have been
extensively copied in the public press, some of which have been copyrighted.

Marshall M. Smith, son of Octavius A. Smith, and grandson of David Smith,
was born in Gaines township, Tioga county, March 7, 1864. He was educated in the
common schools and Wellsboro High school, and is also a graduate of Mansfield
Business College. He taught in the winter and worked on the farm at home during
the summer seasons for several years, and was also employed as a clerk in a store
at Leetonia and in the Galeton tannery store. In 1889 he came to Gaines, Tioga
county, and formed a partnership with William H. Vermilyea, in the mercantile
business. Three years later he purchased the interest of his partner and continued
the business alone. He has since purchased the store building and residence, has
remodeled the same, and has enjoyed a lucrative trade. On December 4, 1889, he
married Nellie E. Watrous, a daughter of William H. and Emma (Williams) Watrous,
of Gaines township, who' has borne him two children, viz: Sadie M. and Carl W.
Mr. Smith is a member of Tyadaghton Lodge, I. 0. 0. F., of Gaines, and of Gaines
Encampment, and has passed the chairs in both lodges. He is also a member of
Ossea Lodge, No. 317, P. & A. M., of Wellsboro.

Charles B. Watrous was born at Colesville, Broome county. New York, Oc-
tober 13, 1835, a son of William and Eliza H. (Smith) Watrous. His father, a son
of James S. Watrous, was bom in Connecticut, December 39, 1798, and removed to
Broome county. New York, whence he came to Gaines township, Tioga county,
Pennsylvania, in the spring of 1847, where he resided until his death, March 19,
1883. Charles B. was educated in the common schools, and was twelve years old
when the family came to Gaines township. Here his father engaged quite exten-
sively in lumber operations, and subsequently cleared and improved a farm one
mile south of the mouth of Elk run. The subject of this sketch has always been
connected with the lumber business, principally in Tioga county, though he also
spent some time in Michigan. In February, 1861, he married Harriet M. Hurd, a
daughter of Stephen Hurd, of Caton, New York. Two children were bom to this
union, viz: William, deceased, and Eobert S., of Watrous, Gaines township. Mr.
Watrous married for his second wife, Isabella Brewster, a daughter of Luther H.
and Olive (Palmer) Brewster, of Eichmond township, Tioga county. Two chil-
dren are the fruits of this union, as follows: Mary B., wife of Eobert Tuton, of
New York City, and William H., a resident of Minnesota. Politically, Mr. Watrous
is a Eepublican. He is still one of the active business men of Gaines, and devotes
his attention to lumbering.

Ethan Strait, a son of Daniel and Sally (Crowl) Strait, was bom in Steuben
county. New York, July 13, 1816. He was married September 20, 1838, to Julania
Wright, a daughter of Justus and Anne Wright, who bore him one son, Justus D.,
a resident of Gaines township. Mr. Strait learned the wagonmaker's trade in early
life, and followed it for a number of years. In 1847 he located in Wellsboro, Tioga
county, whence he removed to Lawrenceville. In March, 1850, he settled in Gaines
township, on the farm now occupied by his son, Justus D. During the old training



BIOGBAPHIOAL SKETCHES. 955



days, lie took an active part in militai-y affairs and served as a captain in the militia.
He died March 12, 1876, aged sixty years.

Justus D. Stkait, only child of Ethan and Julania Strait, was bom in Steuhen
county. New York, June 23, 1839. When he was eight years old his parents came
to Tioga county, and in March, 1850, settled on the farm where he now resides.
Mr. Strait was educated in the common schools and Wellsboro Academy, and has
devoted his principal attention to agriculture. He has been a successful farmer
and dairyman, and was a merchant in Gaines for a few years. He is the owner of
a fine herd of thoroughbred Jersey cows, and his dairy is supplied with the most
improved appliances. September 31, 1861, Mr. Strait enlisted in Company I, Forty-
fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and re-enlisted in the field, December 31, 1863. He
participated with his regiment in over thirty engagements, besides a number of
sMrmishes. On September 30, 1864, he was taken prisoner at the battle of Poplar
Grove Church, and was confined in prisons at Petersburg and Eichmond, Virginia,
and Salisbury, North Carolina, and was exchanged February 23, 1865. After a
short furlough he rejoined his regiment at Alexandria, Virginia, and was discharged
at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, July 18, 1865. While in the service he was promoted
to corporal and sergeant, successively. April 5, 1865, Mr. Strait was married to
Annie E. Bamhart, a daughter of John H. and Sarah (Harrison) Barnliart, of
Gaines township. Nine children have been bom to this marriage, .ns follows:
Getta 0., wife of Harvey Gardner, of Gaines; Ida H., John E., Norman I., Julia,
Daxwin C, Eugene J., deceased; Sarah A., and Carl C. In politics, Mr. Strait is a
Eepublican, and has served as school director and auditor of his township three
terms each. He is a member of Ackley Post, No. 469, G. A. E., of Sabinsville, and
a charter member of the Association of Ex-Prisoners of War, of Wellsboro. He is
also connected with Tyadaghton Lodge, No. 981, I. 0. 0. F., of Gaines; Marsh-
field Lodge, No. 130, 1. 0. G. T., and Forest Grove Lodge, A. P. A., of Forest Grove,
Oregon. In religion, Mr. Strait is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.

David Ebxfokd was bom in Cincinnatus, Cortland county. New York, July 10,
1820, a son of William and Nancy (Blanchard) Eexford. He was reared in his
native county, and in 1839 came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and engaged in
lumbering in Shippen township, which he followed there about sixteen years. In
1855 he purchased 900 acres of timber land in Gaines township, located upon it,
and continued in his lumber operations up to 1890, when he sold his mill and retired
from active business. Mr. Eexford was married August 27, 1843, to Catherine A.
Purman, a daughter of Josiah and Samantha (Grey) Furman, of Gaines township.
Ten children were bom to this union, as follows: Delos D. and Jesse J., both resi-
dents of Gaines township; Henrietta, deceased; William L., who lives at home;
Ahce L., deceased; Catherine A., wife of E. C. Kelts, of Sheffield, Pennsylvania;
Delia, wife of William Larrison, of Gaines township; Charles L., at home; Oscar,
and Ida May, both deceased. Mr. Eexford is a stanch Democrat, has held every
township ofiSce except justice of the peace, and is also a member of Tyadaghton
Lodge, No. 981, I. 0. 0. P., of Gaines.

Delos D. Eexfokd, eldest child of David and Catherine A. Eexford, was bom
m Shippen township, Tioga county, November 9, 1844, and was about eleven years
old when the family removed to Gaines township. He was educated in the com-



966 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

men schools and Union Academy, and was connected with his father in the himber
business from boyhood, though he also devoted considerable attention to fanning.
On March 23, 1868, he married Emma S. Seagers, a daughter of Henry J. and
Altaira (Eixford) Seagers, of Westfield, who has borne him six children, as fol-
lows: May H., wife of Eupert K. Jones, of Gaines; Satie B., who died at the age
of three years; Blanche L., Leon J., Ina A. and Kittie A. In politics, a Democrat,
Mr. Eexford has been constable and (|ollector of Gaines township for seven con-
secutive years, supervisor several terms, and is now filling the office of school direc-
tor. He is one of the energetic and enterprising fanners of his township.

William H. Veemilyea was bom near Addison, New York, July 18, 1847,
a son of Horace C. and Ursula A. (Green) Vermilyea. His parents came to the
Cowanesque valley when William H. was but seven years old. His father owned
and conducted a tavern at Academy Corners and later cai'ried on a hotel at Gaines,
where he also filled the office of postmaster for eighteen years. He died June 4,
1878. His wife died in Chicago, Illinois, November 34, 1895. They were the
parents of four children, viz: Alwilda, wife of C. H. Eexford; Albina, widow of
the late Dr. F. D. Eitter; Adelbert E., and William H. The subject of this sketch
graduated at the State Normal School, Mansfield, in 1869. After completing his
education he was induced to study chemistry and medicine at Athens, Pennsyl-
vania, with his brother-in-law. Dr. Eitter, and from 1873 to 1877 he was a drug-
gist in Westfield, Tioga county. He then accepted a position as traveling salesman
for the Bradley & Hubbard Manufacturing Company, of New York, and for ten
years was in the employ of that firm selling gas and coal oil fixtures. In the mean-
time he had purchased the hotel at Gaines from his father, and after leaving the
road he carried on the business up to his death, by accident, July 7, 1894. The
old hotel was destroyed by fire, and with characteristic energy and enterprise he at
once erected the present commodious structure now occupying the site and known
as Hotel Vermilyea. Mr. Vermilyea was married August 3, 1873, to Miss AUce
r. Closson, a daughter of David B. and Julia A. (Stryker) Closson, and a grand-
daughter of John and Eliza (Beach) Closson. Her father was bom in Great Bar-
rington, Massachusetts, May 7, 1813, and her mother in Morris county. New Jersey,
April 19, 1820. They reside with her in Westfield, to which place she removed in
189.5. Mr. and Mrs. Vermilyea were the parents of two children, viz: Inez M.,
wife of W. W. Marsh, and Horace C. The latter died November 30, 1893, aged
eight years. In politics, Mr. Vermilyea was an ardent Eepublican, was postmaster
at Gaines under Harrison's administration, and served as chairman of one of the
county conventions. He was a member of the K. of P. and the I. 0. 0. F., and was
a Knight Templar in the Masonic order. He was a man of commendable enter-
prise and public spirit and his death was a great loss to the business interests of the
community in which he lived.

Heney S. Cowbuen was born in Dewsberry, Yorkshire, England, February
3, 1830, a son of Joseph and Mary Ann (Snowden) Cowburn. He was reared ia
his native land, and attended the public schools of Dewsberry. His father was
postmaster at Mirfield, England, for more than forty years, and died there April
30, 1871, in his sixty-ninth year. His mother died Febraary 11, 1869, aged sixty-
four years. Henry S. learned the blacksmith's trade in England, and came to the



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 967



United States when nineteen years of age, and found employmeait with Silas X.
BiUings, of Gaines township, Tioga county, for whom he worked a number of years.
He was married to Mercy Mattison, a daughter of Benjamin and Hannah (Brown)
Mattison, of Clymer township, July ^8, 1853. Six children were bom to this
union, as follows: Joseph E., of Gaines township; William B., of Ulysses town-
ship. Potter county; Charles S., of Perryville, Potter county; James H., of Gaines
township; Mary Hannah, and Jane Elizabeth, the last two of whom are dead.
Mrs. Cowbum died July 5, 1893. In 1871 Mr. Cowbum purchased a farm on Lick
run, in Gaines township, upon which he has since lived. He has cleared and im-
proved the land, and erected thereon substantial buildings. In religion, he is a
member of the Protestant Episcopal church of Brookland, Potter county. Politi-
cally, a Democrat, he has served as school director in Gaines township, and has
always taken an interest in the prosperity of his adopted home.

Charles E. Dimmick, a son of George "W. and Caroline M. (Hotchkiss) Dim-
miek, was born in Shippen township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, May 4, 1856.
He was reared on a farm and was educated in the common schools of his native town-
ship. He worked at lumbering until he came to what is now Watrous, Gaines
township, where he purchased the Conrad Bemauer farm at the mouth of Elk run,
on which he has since resided. In connection with his farm, Mr. Dimmick has
also continued lumber jobbing. He maxried Esther S. Putman, a daughter of



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 131 of 163)