Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 132 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 132 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Wilham and Harriet (Campbell) Putman, of Sunderlinville, Potter county, June
6, 1885, and has two children, Bruce H. and Verl E. The new and rapidly growing
village of Watrous is built entirely on the farm of Mr. Dimmick. The first building
was commenced in December, 1894, and it is now a thriving hamlet of between thirty
and forty buildings, with two stores and a very commodious school house, built by
himself. It is on the line of the Buffalo and Susquehanna, and the Addison and
Pennsylvania railroads. Here is also located the Maple, Beech and Birch Flooring
Company's plant, which cost $30,000, and was incorporated in July, 1894. In
politics, Mr. Dimmick is a Eepubliean, and has filled the offices of supervisor and
school director. He has been a member of Tyadaghton Lodge, ISTo. 981, 1. 0. 0. F.,
of Gaines, since 1884, and is also a charter member of Gaines Encampment, Ko.
314, and of Marshfield Grange. Mr. Dimmick is one of the progressive farmers of
his native county.

Daniel W. Etjggles was bom in Chemung county. New York, March 10,
1833, a son of Homer and Mercy S. (Morse) Euggles. His father was bom in 1793,
married Mercy S. Morse, and became one of the first settlers of Elk township, Tioga
county, Pennsylvania. While a resident of New York state, Homer Euggles served
in the War of 1813. His wife's father was a soldier in the Eevolution. He
resided in Elk township from 1854 until his death, in 1865, aged seventy-two years.
Daniel W. was reared upon the homestead in Elk township, and assisted his father
on the farm up to 1856, in which year he purchased land in the same township and
devoted his attention to clearing and improving it. In February, 1858, he mar-
ried Eosette E. Kelley, a daughter of James and Sophronia (Butler) Kelley, of
Charleston township, Tioga county. The following children were born to this
union: Arthur A., of Westfield township; Eva M., wife of Jesse Beach, of
Wellsboro; James H., who carries on the harness business at Gaines; Mabel, wife



968 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

of Thomas A. Sweet, of Middlebury, and Martha V., wife of A. W. Stickley, of
Tiadaghton. Mrs. Ruggles died ia August, 1875, and January 2, 1877, he married
Zelia 0. Colgrove, a daughter of H. L. and Eliza (Bundle) Colgrove, of Elk town-
ship. Seven children have been bom to this marriage, viz: Charles D., Joseph
H., Emma E., Bessie L., Eben E., Hazel E. and Lena A., the last deceased. In
February, 1864, Mr. Euggles enlisted at Wellsboro, in Company A, One Hundred
and Eighty-seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, his company being in command of
Capt. George W. Merrick. They proceeded to Harrisburg, spent three weeks at
Camp Curtin, then went to Washington, D. C, and Joined the Army of the Potomac
at Cold Harbor, Virginia. Mr. Euggles served with his regiment up to November,

1864, when it was ordered to Philadelphia to recruit and do guard duty. In June,

1865, the regiment proceeded to Harrisburg, and was on guard duty at that place
until mustered out of the service in August following. Eetiirning home Mr. Rug-
gles engaged in farming in Charleston township, but a few years later embarked
in carpentering and wagon-making at Wellsboro. In 1875, on the death of his
first wife, he entered the employ of C. B. Watrous, of Gaines township, and since
that time he has followed farming in connection with operating a wagon shop at
Gaines. In politics, a Eepublican, he has served as constable about six years in
Elk township, and as many in Gaines township. He is a member of the Methodist
Episcopal church, also of Tyadaghton Lodge, No. 981, I. 0. 0. P., of Gaines, and
Babcock Post, No. 258, G. A. E., of Westfield.

Charles H. Huhlbdrt, a son of Alexander and Hannah (Sogers) Hurlburt,
of Troupsburg township, Steuben county. New York, . was bom in Troups-
burg, December 9, 1854. He obtained a common school education, and was
reared on a farm. Before attaining his majority he came to Westfield, Tioga
county, where he found employment as a farm hand for one year, and later entered
the employ of Cook & Billings, as a teamster at their tannery on Pine creek.
About 1877 he bought a farm on Lick run, in Gaines township, but soon disposed
of it and located in the village of Gaines. In 1882 he again purchased property
on Lick run, where he has since resided. Mr. Hurlburt is also engaged in lumbering
in that locality. On January 1, 1875, he married Lydia Matteson, a daughter of
Harris and Emehne (Brace) Matteson, of Westfield township. Nine children have
been born to this marriage, named as follows: William H., deceased; George, Ina,
Addie May, Walter, Hannah E., Nancy J., Winfred C. and Bessie E. Mr. Hurlburt
is an adherent of the Methodist Episcopal church, and in politics, a Democrat.

William Nathan Ladd, a son of Hannibal and Mary E. (Griffin) Ladd, was
bom in McKean coimty, Pennsylvania, near Port Allegheny, November 13, 1857.
Two or three years later his parents removed to the vicinity of Potter Brook, in
Westfield township, Tioga county. Soon afterwards William Nathan took up his
home with his paternal grandfather, William Ladd, in Westfield township, with
whom he lived until 1866, when he returned to the father's home in the same
township. At an early age he went into the lumber woods, first doing chores or
light work, and later taking a man's place. He was principally engaged on Pine
creek, but spent four years in the pineries of northern Michigan. Fifteen years
of his life was passed in the occupation of a woodsman, in which business he became
an expert. On July 5, 1881, Mr. Ladd married Annie M. Furman, a daughter of



BIOQEAPHIOAL SKETCHES. 9(59



Martin W. and Eunice J. (Dartt) Furman, to which union have heen born four chil-
dren, viz: Lola B., born July 28, 1883; Ida M., February 19, 1885; Archie W.,
April 3, 1889, and Lillian Pearl, October 20, 1894. In October, 1883, Mr. Ladd
purchased a farm on the south bank of Pine creek, a mile and a half east of Gaines,
where he has since devoted his attention to agriculture, but also spends the winter
season in lumber jobbing. In politics, he is a Democrat, and one of the worthy
citizens of his township.

Samuel Weight was bom in Canandaigua, New York, February 5, 1819, a
son of Kobert and Hannah (Easland) "Wright. He grew to maturity in his native
place, and March 2, 1839, was married to Miss Sarah F. Farmer, a daughter of
James and Deborah (Jewell) Farmer. One son was bom to this union, who died
in May, 1880, at Bath, New York, and was interred in that town. Mr. Wright lived
two years in Canandaigua after his marriage, and then moved to Bloomfield, and
later to Kushville, in the same State, whence he returned to Canandaigua. He
next went to Perm Yan, where he resided about twelve years, then removed to Wayne,
and afterwards kept a hotel at Bath for twelve years. In 1886 he located in Gaines
township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, purchasing a farm near Phoenix Station,
on the Addison and Pennsylvania railroad. Soon after this he became an invalid,
and continued in failing health up to his death, October 8, 1895. Since her hus-
band's death Mrs. Wright has made her home with her grand-daughter, Mrs. C. P.
Conine, of Prattsburg, New York, though she owns the homestead farm in Gaines
township, and spends a portion of her time in Tioga county looking after her
property.

John Fischleb was bom in Germany, February 25, 1845, a son of John and
Ehzabeth (Kalsch) Fischler, natives of Germany. In May, 1856, the family came to
Wellsboro, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where the father carried on a boot and shoe
store for more than twenty years. John learned the shoemaker's trade, and fol-
lowed that business in his father's shop. He was one of a family of twelve chil-
dren, eight of whom are living. The Fischler brothers are all accomplished musi-
cians, and, when living in Wellsboro, composed the Fischler orchestra of that place,
from 1878 to 1887. Charles is now leader of the Stopper & Piske Orchestra,
of Williamsport, and Edwin is a member of the same organization. In October,
1887, Mr. Fischler purchased the drug store at Gaines, then owned by Dr. F. D.
Eitter. On April 21, 1865, he married Louise A. Stickley, a daughter of Henry
and Lydia (Watkins) Stickley, of Wellsboro, who has borne him two children, viz:
Ernest M., a resident of Auburn, Indiana, and Lillian Louise, who lives at home.
They also have an adopted son, Lee, a son of Edwin and Lida (Newton) Fischler,
the former of whom lives in Williamsport. Mr. Fischler is a member of Tyadaghton
Lodge, No. 981, I. 0. 0. F., and of Gaines Encampment, No. 314, both located at
Gaines, Tioga county.

Henet Mengee, a native of Hanover, Germany, and a son of Christopher and
Elizabeth (Volmer) Mengee, was bom January 33, 1824, and was reared and edu-
cated in his native land. He learned the cabinet maker's trade, and worked at the
same seven years after serving his apprenticeship. In 1846 he immigrated to
Brooklyn, New York, where he found employment at his trade for three years, and
then went to New York City and worked in the ship-joiner's shop of James H.



970 HISTOBT OF TIOGA COTJNTT.

Cutter. About 1866 he located in Germania, Potter county, Pennsylyania, where
he purchased a farm. Since that time Mr. Mengee has worked at his trade in
Wellsboro and other towns of the county, while his family carry on the farm. In
April, 1845, he married Louise Sittig, a daughter of Fred and Elizabeth (Volmer)
Sittig, natives of Germany, who came with him to the United States. Eight chil-
dren were bom to this union, as follows: Henry and Julia, both deceased; George A.,
a resident of Watrous; William, of Wellsboro; Agnes, deceased; Fred L., of Ger-
mania; Emily, wife of Jacob Zoerb, of the same place; Henry F., a resident of
Washington, and Herman T., who lives in Prattsburg. Mrs. Mengee died in the
autumn of 1881, and was interred in the Germania cemetery.

Hbeman T. Mengee, youngest child of Henry Mengee, was born in Germania,
Potter county, Pennsylvania, April 38, 1868. He obtained a common school educa-
tion, and engaged in lumbering in the employ of Woef el, Zinert & Company, of Ger-
mania. In 1893-94 he was landlord of a hotel in that place, later named the Cottage
Hotel. In December, 1895, he purchased a lot at Watrous, one mile south of
Gaines, erected a store, stocked it with hardware and general merchandise, and
carried on business there until his removal to Prattsburg, New York, where he is
engaged in the hotel business. On April 30, 1893, he married Annie Meixner, a
daughter of Prank and Catherine (Zengule) Meixner, of Germania, Potter county,
and has two children, Clarence F. and Allen H. Mr. Mengee is a member of Abbott
Lodge, No. 1015, 1. 0. 0. F., of Germania, and was connected with Germania Tent,
K. 0. T. M. He is also a charter member of the Schutzen Verin, of Germania.

John Matnaed was bom in Adderbury, Oxfordshire, England, December 5,
1811, a son of Edward and Mary A. (Busby) Maynard. He was reared in his native
land, and immigrated to Vermont in 1837, soon after removing to Massachusetts.
There he met and married Abigail Whitney, a daughter of Harry and Mary Whitney,
of Littleton, New Hampshire, January 1, 1833. Seven sons and six daughters were
the fruits of this union, named as follows: Mary Ann, deceased wife of Wheeler
Bratton, of Vermont; C. John, who died in childhood; John C, of Gaines town-
ship; Martha M., wife of Gustave E. Winkler, of Camden, New Jersey; Marshall
M., who died in Kentucky, September 33, 1863, while a member of Company I,
Forty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers; Ede and Edward E., both of whom died in
youth; Edwin E., who died in 1885; Ede, wife of Charles Furman, of Camden, New
Jersey; Edward E. (3nd), deceased; Eeuben G., who lives on the homestead; Carrie
E., who first married John C. Trowbridge, and is now the wife of John M. Purhen,
of Elk township, and Annie M. I., wife of Herman Perry, of Kalamazoo, Michigan.
In June, 1847, Mr. Maynard came to Westfield township, Tioga county, and some
two years later removed to Shippen township, where he was foreman of the lumber-
ing interests of his brother, a member of the firm of Maynard & White. In 1853 he
located in Elk township, where several years before he had purchased over 500 acres
of timber land near the head of Elk nm. He was the first permanent settler in the
township, and built his home in the midst of the primitive forest, cleared up a good
farm and reared a large family. Mr. Maynard was a practicing physician ia that
section, but devoted his principal attention to the cultivation and improvement of
the homestead. He planted out large orchards of apples and pears at quite an
early day, and furnished his neighbors with abundance of frait free of cost. At



BIOGBAPHICAL SKETCHES. 97^



the organization of Elk township, Mr. Maynard was elected a justice of the peace,
and filled the ofSce continuously up to the time of his death. He also held nearly
every other township office at different periods, and was one of the commissioners
chosen to select the site of the county poor farm. In addition to his original pur-
chase, he had bought other tracts from time to time, until he owned and sold nearly
every farm for two miles square, in all between 1,600 and 1,700 acres. Mr. May-
nard died on his farm, December 9, 1878; his widow survived until September 33,
1886.

Eeuben G. Matnaed, a son of John and Abigail Maynard, was born in Ship-
pen township, Tioga county, January 39, 1851, and was two years old when the
family settled in Elk township. He attended the district school near his home, and
worked on the farm and in the lumber woods throughout his early life. He is now
the owner of the old homestead, to which he devotes his entire attention, and is one
of the leading farmers of this section of the county. He takes commendable pride
in the improvement of his property, and has an orchard of 500 bearing trees. On
May 5, 1875, Mr. Maynard married Ettie P. Mies, a daughter of E. "W. amd Catherine
(Backus) Niles, of Middlebury township, both of whom are dead. They are the
parents of seven children, viz: Edith K., wife of Charles Wheeler, of Earmington
township; Wallace, deceased; John W., Floyd and Lloyd (twins), the latter de-
ceased; Eeuben E. and Harry. Politically, Mr. Maynard is a Eepubliean, and has
filled the office of school director, supervisor, auditor, constable, collector and as-
sessor, and is the present treasurer of the school board. He is a member of Tyadagh-
ton Lodge, Ko. 981, I. 0. 0. P., also of Gaines Encampment, No. 314, and is con-
nected with Marshfield Grange, No. 1113, P. of H. Mr. and Mrs. Maynard are
members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and he is one of the most respected
and progressive citizens of the community.

Charles H. West, son of James H. and Catherine (Lull) West, was bom in
Cortland county. New York, August 26, 1836, and there grew to manhood. About
1865 he went to Vermont, where on December 3, of that year, he married Lura E.
Draper, a daughter of Daniel and Huldah (Kimberly) Draper, of West Haven, Eut-
land county, Vermont. Four children were bom to this union, viz : James H., who
died October 30, 1895; Arthur, born March 31, 1869; Norman E., bom October
7, 1871, and Lettie A., bom May 19, 1873. In 1868 Mr. West removed to Westfield,
Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and the same year located in Elk township, where he
purchased the farm, on the headwaters of Kettle creek, on which his family now
reside. It was covered by an almost unbroken forest, which has since been cleared
off, and here Mr. West died August 14, 1873. On October 9, 1874, Mrs. West mar-
ried Wilbur Welch, and to this union have been bom five children, as follows: Lettie
A., widow of Claude Ellsworth, who died at Sunderlinville, Potter county, August
27, 1895; Albert J., born October 6, 1877; Sarah E., April 17, 1880; Huldah L.,
August 24, 1883; Annie E., March 31, 1885, and Henrietta A., November 38, 1887.
Mr. Welch is employed in cutting and stocking logs during the lumbering season,
and devotes his attention to farming the balance of the year.

John C. Teowbeidge was bom in Clymer township, Tioga county, Pennsyl-
vania, April 14, 1847, a son of Caleb and Eliza (Losey) Trowbridge. He was edu-
cated in the common schools and Union Academy, and assisted his parents on the



972 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

farm until his marriage. On January 4, 1871, he married Carrie E. Maynard a
daughter of John and Abigail Maynard, of Elk township, who bore him two chil-
dren, Edward C, and Grace A., the latter deceased. After his marriage Mr. Trow-
bridge was engaged in lumber operations on Pine creek and its tributaries during
the fall and winter seasons, but always returned to the old homestead to assist his
parents in the duties of the farm, which he continued to do up to the time of his
death.

Edwaed C. Teowbeidge, only living child of John C. and Carrie E. Trow-
bridge, was bom in Clymer township, Tioga county, November 21, 1871. He at-
tended the common schools of his native township, and has since devoted his atten-
tion to farming and lumbering. He makes hjs home with his mother, Mrs. John M.
Purhen, in Elk township, where he is the owner of a farm and other property. He
is a member of Marshfield Grange, No. 1113, P. of H.

John M. Puhhen was born in Hazleton, Pennsylvania, March 3, 1854, a son
of Frank and Dorothy (Franck) Purhen, of Elk township, Tioga county, whither the
family removed during the childhood of our subject. He remained with his parents
until 1883, when he purchased a saw-mill, which he has since operated near his
present home. On February 27, 1884, he married Mrs. Carrie E. Trowbridge, widow
of John C. Trowbridge, a daughter of John and Abigail Maynard, who has borne
him two children, Marshall M. and Martha M., twins, born June 4, 1890. Mr.
Purhen is engaged in farming, in connection with the manufacture of lumber. He
is a member of Marshfield Grange, No. 1113, P. of H.

John E. Feeligh was bom in Cattaraugus county, New York, April 22, 1841,
a son of Moses J. and Harriet (Boughton) Freligh. AVhen he was a child his parents
removed to Delaware county. New York, where his father worked at the mason's
trade, though devoting a portion of his attention to farming. John E. was reared
on a farm. His mother having died when he was quite young, he was taken by a
farmer of Delaware county, with whom he lived many years. After attaining his
majority, he purchased a farm in Broome county. New York, and three years later
went to Iowa, where he continued in agricultural pursuits. In 1876 he bought
eighty acres of land in Floyd county, Iowa, on which he lived up to 1887, when he
came to Elk township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and purchased his present
homestead. On August 10, 1862, Mr. Freligh married Emma P. Howe, a daughter
of Israel and Hannah (Childs) Howe, of Broome county. New York, and has four
children, viz: Lillian E., wife of W. H. Brownell, of Elk township; Edgar E., John
Wilbur and Elsie M. Mrs. Freligh owns 100 acres of land a short distance from
their home, left her by her father. The homestead is nearly all cleared and im-
proved, making a very pleasant place of residence. In 1892 Mr. Freligh became
interested with his son, Edgar E., in the Star Washer, and purchased the rights
to sell the same in New York and Pennsylvania. A year later they purchased
eleven more States. In 1892 they began the manufacture of these machines at
Westfleld, which they carried on up to the spring of 1894, when they suspended
work and Mr. Freligh returned to the farm. The family are all charter members
of Marshfield Grange, No. 1113, P. of H. Mr. Freligh is also a member of St.
Charles Lodge, No. 442, F. & A. M., of Charles City, Iowa, and in politics, is an
ardent Eepublican.



BIOGKAPHIOAL SKETCHES. 973

EoBEHT Thompson, third son of Samuel and Rachel Thompson, was bom in
County Antrim, Ireland, December 33, 1853. His parents were Scotch-Irish, and
reared the following children: Jane, wife of Taylor Quade, a farmer residing near
BufPalo, New York; James, a tannery foreman at Limestone, New York; John, a
farmer of Green county, New York; Robert, of Leetonia; Rachel, who lives in
Canada, and Margaret, deceased. The mother died in Ireland, and her husband
subsequently came to the United States and settled on a farm near Kingston,
Ulster county. New York, in 1862, where he still resides. The subject of this
sketch came to the United States in 1871, and found employment in a tannery in
Gouldsboro, Pennsylvania, where he learned the tanner's trade. In 1871 he re-
moved to Leetonia, Tioga county, becoming an employe in the Cedar Run Tannery,
which began operations that year. He has been foreman of the tannery for the past
five years, and is one of the most thorough and practical men in the business.
On June 14, 1880, Mr. Thompson married Addie Merrills, a daughter of Clum and
Elizabeth Merrills, of Lycoming county, who has borne him seven children, viz:
James, Bffie, William, Nellie, Daisy, Robert and Olive. Mr. Thompson is the oldest
citizen in point of residence in Leetonia, and enjoys the respect and esteem of his
neighbors as well as the confidence of his employers. In politics, a Republican, he
has filled the office of postmaster of Leetonia, and has served nearly eight years
as school director.

SHIPPEN TOWNSHIP.

John English was bom in County Monaghan, Ireland, June 9, 1809, a son of
James and Margaret (McConnis) English, of that place. He was a weaver, and
worked at that trade until 1835, when he immigrated to the United States and
found employment with Hezekiah Stowell, on Pine creek, in Shippen township,
Tioga county, Pennsylvania. He worked for Mr. Stowell about six years, most of
the time in the grist-mill at what is now Ansonia. About 1841 he bought a farm
in Delmar township, located near Dvitch hollow, on which he settled the same year.
At that time the country was sparsely populated, and the lands were covered by the
original forest. He made the first clearing on his farm, and after a residence there
of four or five years his wife died, and he then sold out and bought a house and
lot in Wellsboro. He continued in agricultural pursuits in the vicinity of his fiisst
purchase for a few years, and then located on his father-in-law's farm in Delmar, on
which he lived up to 1864, when he purchased a farm in Shippen township, near
Delmar postoffice, where he possed the remaining years of his life, dying July 17,
1887. Mr. English followed farming steadily and persistently, but also engaged
to some extent in the lumber business. In 1873 he was awarded a contract for the
construction of a public road from Antrim to Morris, which is to-day one of the
best roads in Tioga county. He was a stanch Republican, and in religion, a member
of the Methodist Episcopal church. He served as supervisor of Shippen township
three years; school director nine years, and assessor two terms. Mr. English was
three times piarried. In 1833 he was married in Ireland to Catherine Glass, a
daughter of John Glass, who bore him eight children as follows: Eliza, widow of
Alonzo Ellis, of Westfield; Mary, deceased wife of Stephen English, of Lycoming
county; Sarah, deceased wife of Stephen Campbell, of the same county; James,
George, John, Richard and William, all of whom died before they reached the



974 HISTOfiY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

age of ten years. Mrs. English died in April, 1846, and the following year he
married Letitia Kelsey, a daughter of Daniel and Eebecca (Merrick) Kelsey
of Delmar township. Eight children were born to this marriage, viz: Daniel and
Benjamin E., both deceased; Eugene S., of Shippen township; WilHs L., of Morris
township: John F., a resident of Shippen; Anna C, wife of Frank Watkins, of
Wellsboro; Mary L., a teacher in Shippen, and Grant, who has been adopted by
Robert Kelsey, of Wellsboro, and has talcen his name. Mrs. English died on June
13, 1870, dying as she had lived a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal
church. About a year after her death Mr. English married his third wife, Mrs.
Eliza Stevens, of Knoxville, Tioga county, Pennsylvania.

Eugene S. English, oldest living child of John and Letitia English, was bom
in Delmar township, Tioga county, January 3, 1853, and was educated in the com-
mon schools, and Wellsboro High School, later attending Cook Academy, at Havana,
New York, in which institution he spent three years. He earned money in lum-
bering and at farm work to use in completing his education. After his return from
school, he lived at home and cultivated the farm, caring for his parents and his in-
valid brother, John. At the death of his father he inherited tFe old homestead, and



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 132 of 163)