Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 133 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 133 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


has made farming his principal vocation. Mr. English is one of the progressive, en-
terprising farmers of Shippen, and owns one of the best improved farms in the town-
ship. On December 15, 1886, he married Rosetta M. Baldwin, a daughter of Vine
and Cynthia D. (Boyden) Baldwin, of Delmar township, and has one child, Lottie
M. Mr. English and wife are members of Shippen Baptist church, and also of
Middle Ridge Grange, No. 384, P. of H. In politics, he is a Republican, and has
filled the offices of supervisor, auditor, clerk and treasurer in Shippen township.

Joseph A. Darling was bom in Otsego county. New York, July 5, 1837. His
parents, Joshua and Robay (Millard) Darling, were originally from Rhode Island,
and settled in Otsego county. New York, at an early day, whence they came to
Shippen township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where they lived from 1850 to
1854. In the latter year they removed to Nebraska, and resided in that state until
their death. Joseph A. was reared in his native county, and worked with his father
at the carpenter's trade until he was eighteen years of age. In 1846 he came to
Shippen township, Tioga county, and found employment with Hezekiah Stowell,
mt)stly in lumber jobbing. On August 19, 1850, he married Helen M. Swope, a.
daughter of Abiather and Julia Anna (Sherman) Swope, of Shippen township, who
has borne him six children, as follows: Alice E., wife of Vine R. Pratt, of Reynolds-
ville, Jefferson county; Anna M., widow of Lafayette Wetherbee, of Shippen town-
ship; Walter C, a resident of Elk township; May J., who died January 33, 1863;
Joseph E., a resident of Gaines township, and Grace E. M., wife of Byron Ford, of
Shippen. About 1855 Mr. Darling purchased a farm on Pine creek, in Shippen
township, known as the Pine Grove farm, which he cleared and improved. He
lived there up to 1883, when he sold the property and bought 300 acres of land
on Darling run, in the south part of Shippen township. It was then covered by the
original forest, which Mr. Darling has since cleared off, erected commodious build-
ings, and otherwise improved the property. In 1890 he purchased 137 acres in the
southeast part of Shippen, known as the R. W. Wheeler farm, both of which he
still owns. During these years Mr. Darling has jobbed more or less in connection



BIOGEAPHIOAL SKETCHES. 975

with farm duties, and has been quite successful in his business ventures. In politics,
a Republican, he has served as a Justice of the peace for twenty years continuously,
and has also filled nearly all of the other township offices. He is a member of Mid-
dle Ridge Grange, No. 384, P. of H., of Delmar township, and has also been con-
nected with the I. 0. 0. F. Mr. and Mrs. Darling are members of the Presbyterian
church, and he is one of the progressive farmers of Shippen township.

HoKACE Broughton was born in Delmar township, Tioga county, Pennsylva^
nia, September 1, 1818, a son of Nathan and Sally (Walker) Broughton, who came
from Delaware county, New York, to Tioga county in 1817. He was reared upon
a farm and learned the blacksmith's trade, which occupation he followed the greater
part of his life. He also' acted as a lumber pilot on Pine creek, and was engaged
during the rafting season of each year in piloting lumber to the markets in central
Pennsylvania. He finally purchased a farm on Pine creek, in Shippen township,
Tioga county, where he resided until his death, July 5, 1893. His wife, Elizabeth,
was a daughter of Henry and Elizabeth (Greenleaf) Sly, of Shippen township. They
were married August 19, 1838, and were the parents of nine children, as follows:
Amelia, wife of Isaac Holmes, of Michigan; Maria, wife of Ambrose Dimmick,
of Shippen township; Juliet, wife of George Dimmick, of Shippen; Sarah E.,
who died in infancy; Lucy, deceased wife of Edwin T. Everett, of Covington;
jplichard H., a resident of McKean county; Job R., of Westfield borough; Emmet W.,,
of Shippen township, and Rosabella, wife of Matthew Luxenberger, of McKean
county. Mrs. Broughton died on January 1, 1877, in her fifty-seventh year. Both
she and her husband were members of the Presbyteriaa church, of Ansonia, and
are buried in the cemetery at that place. In polities, Mr. Broughton was a Republi-
can, and filled the offices of supervisor, auditor, inspector and judge of election at
different periods. He was also connected with Tyoga Lodge, I. 0. 0. P., of Wells-
boro.

Emmet W. Beoughton, a son of Horace and Elizabeth Broughton, was born
on the homestead in Shippen township, Tioga county, November 8, 1858, and at-
tended the common schools of the district in boyhood. He has always lived upon
the old homestead, assisting his parents in the duties of the farm, which he took
charge of at his father's death. On September 34, 1882, he married Anna M.
Britting, a daughter of Conrad and Catherine (Wingerter) Britting, of Germania,.
Potter county, who has borne him one daughter, Ruth A. They also have reared
Maggie Pletcher, a niece of Mrs. Broughton, whose father, George Pletcher, lives-
in Galeton, Potter county. Politically, Mr. Broughton is a Republican, and has
served as township clerk, treasurer, inspector and clerk of election for many years.

Harris Daett was bom in Delmar township, Tioga county, Februarj' 11,.
1830, a son of John and Betsey E. (Butler) Dartt, early settlers of that township.
He was reared upon the homestead farm, ajid attended the district school of his
neighborhood until old enough to earn his own living, when his father gave him
his time and he afterwards made his own way in life. He learned the carpenter's
trade, and worked at that business in connection with farming. Soon after attaining-
his majority, he purchased a farm on East hill, Delmar township, and eleai-ed a
portion of it. A few years later he sold it and purchased a tract of timber land in
the south part of Shippen township, which he sold about 1858 and bought 138"



976 HISTOKT OF TIOGA COUNTY.

acres two miles westward, where his widow and son, John B., now reside. This
farm was at that time unimproved, and Mr. Dartt began at once the erection of
a log house, and devoted his energies toward clearing and improving the laud.
On September 30, 1860, he married Mary Caroline Wilcox, a daughter of William
and Lydia (Buekbee) Wilcox, of Delmar township, who bore him one son, John B.
Mr. Dartt enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Eighty-seventh Pennsylva-
nia Volunteers, February 4, 1864, and served in the Army of the Potomac. He was
taken sick with fever while on his way to the front, and was sent to the hospital at
Philadelphia. He later rejoined his regiment, but was again returned to the
hospital as unfit for duty, and was finally discharged, June 28, 1865. He returned
to his home in broken health, to resume the duties of the farm. In 1888 he re-
placed the old log house with a more modem structure, also erected better out-
buildings, and continued to reside on this farm up to his death, December 28, 1895.
In politics, he was a Eepublican, and in religion, a member of the First Baptist
church, of Shippen township, to which his widow also belongs. He served as school
director nine years, also as collector, judge of election, etc. He was a member of
Cook Post, No. 315, G. A. K., of Wellsboro, and one of the respected citizens of the
community.

John B. Daett was bom in Delmar township, Tioga county, January 24,
1863, and is the only child of Harris and Mary C. Dartt. He has spent his entire^
life on the homestead farm, which he took charge of at his father's death. On
July 2, 1889, he married Lillian Wilcox, a daughter of Deimis and Sarah (Wilson)
Wilcox, of Delmar township, and has two children, Nora and Harvey. Mrs. Dartt
is a member of the First Baptist church of Shippen, and in politics, the family ad-
here to the Eepublican party.

Elihu J. DoET, originally spelled "Dartt," was bom in Delmar township, Tioga
county, January 15, 1832, a son of John and Betsey E. (Fuller) Dariit, early settlers
of that township. Before attaining his majority he learned the blacksmith's trade,
which business he has followed more or less in connection with agriculture About
1862 he purchased an unimproved tract of 104 acres, in the south part of Shippen
township, on which he now resides. There was no settlement in that part of the
township at that time, and Mr. Dort was obliged to travel three miles through
the woods every night and morning while engaged in clearing a place for his dwell-
ing and in erecting the same. By rigid industry he gradually cleared ofE the dense
forest, year by year, and has lived to see that section thickly settled and converted
into productive farms. On January 1, 1858, he married Aurilla Sherman, a
daughter of Tile and Lurinda (Babcock) Sherman, of Shippen township, who has
borne him three children, viz: Lurinda G., wife of Daniel L. Plumley, of Shippen;
Frankie E., wife of Darius Plumley, of the same township, and Porter J. Mr. Dort
enlisted in Battery D, First Pennsylvania Light Artillery, September 15, 1864,
and was under Sheridan in the Shenandoah valley until January 1, 1865. The
battery was then sent to winter quarters at Maryland Heights, and the following
April to Arlington Heights, and was finally discharged in June, 1865, when Mr.
Dort retumed to his home in Shippen and resumed work on the farm, to which he
has since given his principal attention, but has also kept a blacksmith shop for his
own convenience, as well as for the accommodation of his neighbors. In politics,



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 977



a Eepublican, he has served as school director and assessor of Shippen. He is a
member of George Cook Post, No. 315, G. A. K. of "Wellsboro. Mr. and Mrs.
Dort are members of the Free Baptist church, at Kennedy, Delmaj township.

PoBTEK J. DoKT, joungest child ajad only son of Elihu J. Dort, was born on
the homestead in Shippen township, attended the common schools of the district,
and learned the blacksmith's trade with his father, at which he has worked in the
lumber woods to a considerable extent. On February 33, 1893, he married Laveme
6. Townsend, a daughter of Edward and Jennie (Hastings) Townsend, of Tia-
daghton, Tioga county. She was a native of Eau Claire county, Wisconsin, where
she was bom July 36, 1874. Mrs. Dort died March 30, 1894. In politics, Mr. Dort
is a Eepublican.

Benjamin E. Knowlton, eldest son of Timothy Knowlton, was born in Sulli-
van township, Tioga county, December 6, 1833, and remained with his parents until
his majority. He afterwards worked in different portions of the county as a farm
hand for a few years. On September 10, 1845, he married Lydia Ames, of Sulli-
van township, and in November removed to Lake county, Illinois, where he pur-
chased a farm on which he lived up to 1850. He then returned to Sullivan town-
ship, Tioga county, and bought a part of the old homestead, which he cultivated in
partnership with his brother, Andrew J., until 1863. In that yeax he sold his in-
terest in the homestead farm and purchased 150 acres in the south part of Shippen
township, which at that time contained little or no improvements. He has since
cleared and improved the property, erected a modern residence, substantial out-
buildings, and reared a large family, being to-day one of the pioneer landmarks of
Shippen township. Mrs. Knowlton was bom November 15, 1830, in Sullivan town-
ship, Tioga county, and is the mother of eight children, as follows: George 0. and
Leander A., of Shippen township; Phoebe A., wife of Abram M. Sherman, of
Shippen; Eugene F., of Delmar; Herbert A., of Clymer; Lydia J., wife of Eev.
William J. Playfoot, a Baptist minister; Julian P., of Shippen, and Frank H., who
lives with his parents. Mr. Knowlton is an ardent Democrat, and has served as
supervisor, school director and treasurer in Shippen township. His sqns, Leander
and Frank, carry on the old homestead farm, and thus assist their parents in their
declining years.

Samuel Scbanton was bom in Schoharie county. New York, September 37,
1830, a son of Lyman and Elizabeth (Cronkrite) Scranton. He attended the common
schools of his native county, and removed with his parents to Bradford county,
Pennsylvania, thence to Ealston, Lycoming county. About 1835 they located in
Blossburg, Tioga county, where the father engaged in jobljing, clearing land and
limbering. Samuel worked with his father until his majority, and then settled in
Union township, Tioga county. From 1844 to 1849 he lived at Tiadaghton, where
he was employed by Wilcox & Eobinson, of Wellsboro. He then moved to Stony
Fork, in Delmar township, where he had purchased a tract of land, and lived there
up to 1864, in which year he removed to Marsh creek, near the Shippen line. Two
years later he purchased 300 acres in Shippen township, on which he has lived up to
the present. He followed the lumber business in connection with farming up to a
few years ago, but now devotes his entire attention to agriculture. On October 15,
1843, Mr. Scranton married Almira A. Wheeler, a daughter of Joseph B. and Laura

62



g-^g * HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.



M. (Smith) Wheeler, of Delmaa- township. Seven children have been bom to this
marriage, as follows: George M., of Shippen; Lauretta, wife of Amasa Gee, of Del-
mar; Arthur J., deceased; Stephen S., and Chester L., both residents of Shippen;
Anna M., wife of Charles L. Baker, of the same township, and Mary I., deceased.
Politically, Mr. Scranton is a Republican, and has served as supervisor of Shippen
two terms. He is a member of Shippen Grange, No. 903, P. of H., and is also
an adherent of the Free Baptist church.

Geohge M. Sceanton, eldest son of Samuel Scranton, was bom in Delmar town-
ship, Tioga county, July 20, 1844; was educated in the common schools, and remained
with his parents on the homestead until after his majority. On July 4, 187!J, he
married Eebecca E. Campbell, a daughter of King Jerome Campbell, of Delmar,
to which union have been born three sons: Arthur L., Walter L., and Samuel J.
For several years Mr. Scranton worked at different places. In 1875 he purchased
a tract of land on Maxsh creek, in Delmar township, and lived upon it seven years.
He then sold it and purchased an improved farm in Shippen, where he has since
resided. In 1881 he was elected constable and collector of Shippen and has held
these offices continuously up to the present. He is a member of Shippen Grange,
No. 902, P. of H., of Ansonia, and both he and wife are members of the Free Baptist
church.

Stephen S. Sgeanton, second son of Samuel Scranton, was bom in Delmar
township August 1, 1850. On April 6, 1891, he married Jennie Hunt, a daughter
of William E. Hunt, of Delmar, and has one child: Lyman H. Mr. Scranton owns
a part of the old homestead, where he now resides. In politics, a Eepublican, he
has been constable and collector, and also supervisor and inspector of elections.

Chestee L. Sgeanton, youngest son of Samuel Scranton, was bom in Delmar
township, January 4, 1854, and lived with his parents until his marriage. He
owns a part of the old homestead on which he now resides. On October 38, 1880,
he married Luella E. Holiday, a daughter of Delos Holiday, of Delmar, and has
two children: Homer L. and Benjamin M. Mr. Scranton has been connected
with the lumbering interests more or less since boyhood, and has also worked at
blacksmithing and farming. In politics, a Eepublican, he has been supervisor and
inspector of elections in Shippen township.

William C. Eeyman was born in Pike county, Pennsylvania, August 14, 1833,
a son of Jacob and Eachel (Empson) Eeyman. In 1834 his parents removed to Brad-
ford county and settled in Eidgebury township, where William C. grew to manhood.
He remained with his parents until their decease. His father died November 9,
1853, and his mother, October 14, 1854. He then lived on Bentley creek, in Ridge-
bury township, where he worked at the shoemaker's trade up to 1866, in which year
he removed to Shippen township, Tioga county, and settled on Marsh creek. He
worked in the lumber woods and jobbed at lumbering until 1881, when he bought
a small farm on Darling run, in Shippen township, cleared it and erected substantial
buildings. He has since given his attention to the cultivation and improvement of
his farm. On July 3, 1863, Mr. Eeyman married Hattie A. Campbell, a daughter
of King J. and Charlotte (Peterson) Campbell, of Delmar township, who has home
him two children, viz: Marian D., wife of J. Munson, of Troupsburg, New York,
and William J., of Shippen township. Mr. and Mrs. Eeyman are members of



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 979

Dexter Methodist Episcopal church, of Delmax township, and in politics, he is a
Republican.

William J. Eeyman, only son of William C. Eeyman, was born in Delmar
township, Tioga county, January 25, 1868, and received a common school education.
He hved with his parents until twenty-two years of age, during which time he
worked away from home at different periods. On December 24, 1889, he married
Jenaie L. Lockwood, a daughter of Charles C. and Carrie A. (Snyder) Lockwood, of
Sullivan county, New York, who has borne him one child. Hazel. In May, 1890,
he removed to Leetonia, Elk township, and was employed in the tannery at that
place up to November, 1895. He then located on a farm in Shippen township, which
he had purchased the preceding April, and has since been engaged in farming.
He is a member of Middle Bidge Grange, No. 384, P. of H., of Delmai township, and
in politics, is an adherent of the Eepublican party.

Chauncey Bakes was bom in Otsego county. New York, February 12, 1817,
a son of George and Susan (Nott) Baker. He was reared on a farm, and September
22, 1838, married Abbie Marshall, a daughter of George and Lueretia (Marinus)
Marshall. To this union were bom fourteen children, thirteen of whom are living
and heads of families. Their names are as follows: Eliza L., wife of Edward
Eeese, of Clymer township; Henry, of Westfield township; Erastus, of Chenango
county. New York; George, of Bainbridge, New York; Jonathan 0., of North
Clarendon, Pennsylvania; S. Harvey, of Knoxville, Tioga county; James N., a res-
ident of Otsego county. New York; Susan L., wife of E. B. Bradley, of Shippen town-
ship; Mary J., wife of Warner Thayer, of Otsego county. New York; Charles L., of
Shippen township; Elizabeth A., wife of Chester Schoonover, of Clymer township;
Alfred E., of Otsego county, New York; Albert C, deceased, and Augustus B., of
Steuben county. New York. In 1856 Mr. Baker and family came from Chenango
county. New York, to Knoxville, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he has lived
the greater portion of the time for the past forty years. His business has been
principally that of an agent, dealing in horses, mules, patent rights, etc. He repre-
sented Nathan Stockwell, of Broome county. New York, at the Centennial Exhibi-
tion, held at Philadelphia in 1876, having charge of several exhibits. Mrs. Baker
died March 19, 1865, and in 1867, he married Lucy Green, widow of Daniel Green,
of Osceola. She died^in September, 1890, at their home near Knoxville. Mr. Baker
now lives with his daughter, Mrs. Schoonover, in Clymer township.

Charles L. Bakeb, a son of Chauncey and Abbie Baker, was bom in Knox-
ville, Tioga county, April 3, 1856, and attended the common schools of his native
place. At the age of fifteen years he came to Shippen township and found employ-
ment in the lumber camps of Samuel Scranton, with whom he remained several years.
From 1876 to 1884 he was employed by Erastus P. Deane, and his son, Darius L.
Deane, of Wellsboro> surveyors, assisting them in surve}'ing the lands of Phelps,
Dodge & Company, in Shippen and adjoining townships, also in surveying the
Bingham lands. About 1880 he purchased 117 acres on Marsh creek, in Shippen
township, one mile east of Ansonia, to which he added 113 acres by purchase in
May, 1892, making in all 230 acres, much of which he has cleared and improved.
On July 18, 1875, Mr. Baker married Anna M. Scranton, a daughter of Samuel and
Almira A. Scranton, of Shippen township. Three children have been born to this



980 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

union, viz: Homer L., Clarence L. and Stephen C. Homer L. died March 38,
1882. Mr. Baker and wife are members of Shippen Grange, No. 903, P. of H., and
he has served as school director of his district.

Thomas L. Woodruff, a son of Morgan M. and Elsie E. Woodruff, was bom
in Spencer, Tioga county. New York, December 14, 1833. His parents removed
to Chemung county when he was a youth, and he lived at home on his father's farm
until the death of his mother, October 38, 1850. About 1855 he went to Nemaha
county, Kansas, where he pre-empted a timber claim of eighty acres. Eighteen
months later he returned to Chemung county. New York, whence he removed to
Bradford county, Pennsylvania, and opened a store at Eidgebury. He also pur-
chased a farm there, and resided upon it up to 1873, when he sold out and bought
300 acres of land in Shippen township, Tioga county, about four miles northwest
of Ansonia. He cleared up a part of this land and otherwise improved it. Six
years later he sold the property and purchased a third interest in 3,100 acres of
the Babcock estate, on Long run, in Gaines township, retaining a mortgage on his
first farm. Subsequently he sold his interest in the Babcock lands to Silas X.
Billings and bought back his former home in Shippen township. He has bought
and sold several farms in this vicinity, and is now the owner of three farms aggre-
gating 334 acres. Mr. Woodruff is a prudent, successful business man, energetic
and enterprising in whatever he undertakes, and is recognized as one of the sub-
stantial citizens of the township. On February 30, 1861, he married Sarah A.
Eichardson, a daughter of Jacob and Caroline (Merritt) Eichardson, of Chemung
county. New York. The following children were bom to this marriage: Laura,
wife of Eush Culver, United States land agent at Marquette, Michigan; Nellie,
wife of Melvin Swope, of Shippen township; William M., deceased; Alvinza, who
lives on the homestead farm, and Lafayette, a resident of Chemung county, New
York. Mr. Woodruff is a Eepublica.n, and has filled the offices of supervisor, auditor,
school director and clerk. He is a member of Tyadaghton Lodge, No. 981, I. 0.
0. P., of Gaines.

Asa Wakeiner was bom in Delmar township, Tioga county, September 28,
1842, a son of William L. and Naomi (Chase) Warriner, of that township. He
obtained a common school education, and worked at the carpenter's trade with his
father during his boyhood days. At the age of sixteen he began working in the
lumber woods on Pine creek and vicinity, which he followed until the breaking
out of the Eebellion. On July 34, 1861, he enlisted in Company H, Sixth Penn-
sylvania Beserve, and served with his regiment until July, 1862, when he was trans-
ferred to Battery A, First Pennsylvania Light Artillery. His command was a part
of the Army of the Potomac until July, 1863, when the battery was sent to Norfolk,
Virginia. About June, 1864, it Joined the Army of the James, at Bermuda Front.
Mr. Warriner was wounded October 27, 1864, at Fair Oaks, receiving a gunshot
in the left leg, and was sent to Hampton General Hospital. He was discharged
from the hospital May 30, 1865, and returned to his home in Tioga county. On
March 14, 1866, he married Josephine Hoadley, a daughter of William J. and
Eleanor M. (Wheeler) Hoadley, of Delmar township, and has two daughters:
Edith D., wife of Arthur E. Hawk, of Shippen, and Ina M., wife of Clarence B.
Bradley, of the same township. In April, 1875, Mr. Warriner purchased sixty-



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. * 981

four acres of land on Marsh creek in Shippen township, and has since given his
attention to its improvement and cultivation. In politics, a Eepubliean, he has
served as township assessor two terms. He is a charter member of George Cook
Post, No. 315, Gr. A. R., of Wellsboro; is a member of Shippen Grange, No. 902, P.
of H., of Ansonia; also ofWashington Camp, No. 640, P. 0. S. of A., and of Mom-
ing Dawn Lodge, No. 61, 1. 0. G. T., both of Marsh Creek.

HoKACE BuTLEE, a native of Massachusetts, was a son of Joseph and Hannah
(Cross) Butler, of that State. He learned the carpenter's trade in early manhood,
but later gave it up and devoted his attention to farming and lumbering. On June
34, 1837, he married Polly Ferry, a daughter of John and Polly (Cross) Ferry, 'of
Massachusetts, who bore him seven children, viz: Ira F., Charles, Daniel, Edward
H., James M., deceased; Nelson, and Hiram, deceased. In 1855 Mr. Butler and
family came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and purchased a farm in Delmar town-



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 133 of 163)