Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 134 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 134 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ship. He lived there until April, 1875, when he sold his property and went to
North Carolina. He bought a farm in that State, upon which he resided up to
Ms death, February 16, 1876. Mrs. Butler returned to Tioga county, and subse-
quently purchased a home in Delmar township, where she lived until 1890. She
then took up her residence with her son, Edward H., of Shippen township, and
died March 17, 1894.

Edwaed H. Btjtlee was bom in Munson township, Hampden countv, Massa-
chusetts, September 17, 1843, a son of Horace and Polly Butler, and was eleven
years old when his parents settled in Delmar township, Tioga county. He was
reared upon the homestead, and assisted his father on the farm and in the lumber
woods until he was twenty-five years old. He has since been largely connected with
the lumber interest, working in the woods during the fall and winter seasons up
to within a few years. On April 25, 1868, he married Laura E. Hoadley, a daugh-
ter of William J. and Eleanor M. (Wheeler) Hoadley, of Delmar township, who
has borne him four sons, viz: Leon M., Clayton W., Leverne J., and Ivan E. They
have also an adopted daughter, Mary E. Mr. Butler purchased a farm in Delmar
township near Stony Fork, and later a farm on Stony Fork creek, in the same town-
ship. In 1876 he sold his Delmar property and bought a farm on Marsh creek, at
the mouth of Asaph run, in Shippen township. This he sold in 1885 and pur-
chased his present homestead, in the same vicinity. He has improved several
farms, erected buildings, and has spent his entire life in farming and lumbering.
Politically, he is a Eepubliean, and has served as township supervisor five years.

James D. Webstee, son of Allen and Thanks (Norton) Webster, was bom
May 34, 1834, in Sullivan township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where his parents
had settled, and he was there reared to manhood. He lived on the homestead farm
until his majority, and for the five succeeding years worked for Elliot S. Rose, of
Sullivan township. About 1861 he purchased a farm near Mainesburg, on which
he lived up to 1865, when he sold out and engaged in the grocery business in Mans-
field, which he continued to follow some eight years. In March, 1876, he bought
a tract of eighty-four acres of timber land in the south part of Shippen township,
on which he settled. With the assistance of his sons, Mr. -Webster has cleared
nearly the whole tract, erected substantial buildings, and otherwise improved the
farm. He has been twice married. On March 13, 1861, he married Mary Matteson,



982 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.



a daughter of Solomon and Adaline (McFeal) Matteson, of Dundee, Yates county,
New York. She bore him two children, viz: Judd Lew, of Shippen, and Merwin
M., who lives with his father. Mrs. Webster died May 21, 1868, and was interred
in the Mansfield cemetery. On April 2, 1871, he married Permelia E. Perry, a
daughter of Marvin and Laura (Gaylord) Perry, of Eichmond township. Three
children were bom to this marriage, as follows: "Walter M., Mary, who died at the
age of four, and Allen J. Both the sons live on the homestead farm. Mr. Webster
was connected with the lumber business to a considerable extent from 1876 to 1886,
not only in marketing the timber from his own land, but in jobbing. Since the
latter year he has given his attention to the improvement of his farm. He is a
charter member of Mansfield Lodge, I. 0. 0. F., and also of the I. 0. G. T. Since
early manhood he has been a member of the Close Communion Baptist church,
and is a deacon in the Shippen society.

Judd Lew Webster was born in Sullivan township, Tioga county, June 9,
1862, and is the eldest son of James D. Webster. In 1879 he was employed by the
Pennsylvania Joint Land and Lumber Company, of Williamsport, and went to
Telfair county, Georgia, where he was engaged in lumbering six months. About
1884 he purchased a farm adjoining his father's, which he has since cleared and
improved. He has also jobbed in lumber more or less in the vicinity of Pine creek.
On December 2, 1891, he married Clara Miller, a daughter of Lorenzo and Phoebe
(Knowlton) Miller, of Delmar township, and the following year located on his
farm. They are the parents of two children, Ola A. and Glenn D. Mr. Webster is
a member of Castle, No. 23, K. of G. E., of Stony Fork, and is one of the enterprising
farmers of Shippen township.

Jerry C. Darling, a son of Henry and Margaret (Backus) Darling, residents
of Covington township, Tioga county, was bom in Delmar township, Tioga county,
May 9, 1866. When he was ten years old his parents moved to Shippen township,
where he attended the common schools of the district in which they lived. After
attaining his majority he learned the carpenter's trade, and worked at that busi-
ness some four years. On April 4, 1889, he married Annie E. Copp, a daughter of
D. L. and Sabrina (Brewster) Copp, of Shippen township, who has borne him two
children, viz: Florence A., born June 21, 1892, and Mabel A., March 11, 1895, the
latter deceased. After working on a farm in Shippen township for one year, he,
in 1891, located on his father's farm, on Darling ran. He was also engaged in
manufacturing lumber with a portable mill for some time. Txl September, 1895,
he purchased a half interest in a farm of 127 acres, located in the northeast comer
of Shippen township, known as the E. W. Wheeler farm, which is a well-improved
property. Mr. Darling lives upon and cultivates this farm. He and wife are mem-
bers of Dexter Methodist Episcopal church, of Delmar township.

James C. Hamilton was born in Holtown township, Penobscot county, Maine,
December 25, 1847, a son of George and Eoxanna (Farewell) Hamilton, of the same
county. In 1866 he went to Cameron county, Pennsylvania, where he worked
until the spring of 1867 and then came to Tioga county and found employment
with Perry Smith, at that time a resident of Gaines township, and quite an ex-
tensive lumberman. The subject of this sketch worked in Potter, Tioga and Ly-
coming counties for Mr. Smith up to his marriage, which occurred on January 1,



BIOGBAPHICAL SKETCHES. 9g3



1870, to Susan N. Smith, a daughter of Perry and Louisa (Else) Smith. Five chiU
dren were bom to this marriage, viz: Sadie L., wife of Samuel Gee, of Shippesu
township; George F., Lydia, Alma and Joseph J. For several years Mr. Hamilton
hved on Cedar run, near Leetonia, in Elk township, where he was employed in
jobbing. In 1875-76 he was prospecting in Texas, and in 1877 came to Shippen
township and purchased a farm on Marsh creek, near Ansonia, where the family
has since resided. Mr. Hamilton has cleared and improved the property, by the
erection of a residence and out-buildings. In 1884 he went to Oregon, leaving his
family on the farm, with a view of settling in that state. He remained in Oregon
three years and a half, working in the lumber woods most of the time, aind became
such an expert in driving oxen, which were the practical teams used, that he readily
commanded large wages. Since 1888 he has devoted his attention to cultivating his
farm during the summer seasons, and has lumbered in the winter time. In politics,
he is a Eepublican, and has filled nearly every office in the township, being at present
supervisor. He is a member of Westfield Lodge, No. 477, F. & A. M., of Westfield, '
and of Shippen Grange, No. 903, P. of H., of Ansonia, in both of which he takes an
active interest.

William G. Mason" was bom in Hamden, Delaware county, New York, April
30, 1838, a son of William and Nancy (Harrower) Mason, of the same county. His
father was a farmer, and died the day after the birth of our subject, who lived with his
mother until his majority. He then went to Colchester, Delaware county, where he
married Charlotte Bradley, a daughter of Elijah and Catherine (Williams) Bradley,
of the same county. Eight children were bom to this union, as follows: Nancy, de-
ceased; William, a resident of Cammal, Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, who has
charge of the track work on the Black Forest railroad; Catherine, deceased wife
of Leander Griswold; Edwin H., of Shippen tovmship; Ida S., deceased; Charles
A., of Shippen township; Mary A., deceased, and Phoebe A., wife of Wilbiir Butler,
of Shippen. At an early age the subject of this sketch learned the carpenter's
trade, which busings he has followed a portion of his time. Before coming to
Tioga coimty he was engaged in lumbering, taking the timber from the stump,
through the different processes of manufacture, and converting it into dwellings.
About 1848 he bought a farm in Colchester, containing a saw-mill, which he operated
until 1854, when he sold the property and removed to Lindley, Steuben county.
He purchased a farm and saw-mill in that county, which he conducted success-
fully up to 1877, in which year he sold out and settled in Shippen township, Tioga
county, purchasing a farm on Marsh creek, near the mouth of Asaph run. He
cleared and improved this property, but sold it in 1893 and removed to Wellsboro,
purchasing five dwelling houses, and a small tract of land. He lived there up to
March, 1896, when he rented his property in Wellsboro and retumed to Shippen
township. On September 30, 1861, Mr. Mason enlisted in Company F, First New
York Light Artillery, which was attached to the Army of the Potomac. He re-
enlisted November 19, 1863, and was honorably discharged June 30, 1865, being mus-
tered out of service at Elmira, New York. Mr. Mason is a member of George Cook
Post, No. 315, G. A. E., also of Encampment, No. 105, U. V. L., of Wellsboro. Both
he and wife are charter members of Shippen Grange, No. 903, P. of H., and are



984 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

also connected with "WellslDoro Grange, by transfer. They are members of the Free
Baptist church, and in politics, Mr. Mason is a EepubUcan.

Pbtee W. Bkadley was bom in Colchester, Delaware county, New York, June
7, 1834, a son of EUjah and Catherine (Williams) Bradley, of that county. He as-
sisted his father on the farm until he was twenty-two years of age. In September,
1856, he married Maria Eowe, a daughter of Samuel and Emily (Seudder) Kowe,
of Delaware county, New York, who bore him one child that died in infancy. Mrs.
Bradley died in September, 1857, and on October 20, 1859, he married Calista M.
Tilford, a daughter of Daniel Tilford, of Delaware county. Six children were
born to this maixiage, viz: Lomsa M. and Charles S., both deceased; Augusta A.,
wife of Coleman Chaffee, of Pemberville, Ohio; Clarence B., of Shippen town-
ship; Mailon H., deceased, and Florence E., wife of Daniel Douglass, of Shippen.
Mrs. Bradley died November 9, 1877, and he was again married August 17, 1881,
to Angelirie Purman, a daughter of Coleman and Mary J. Purman, of Shippen
township, who bore him one daughter, Bessie L., and died in November, 1889.
About 1879 Mr. Bradley came to Tioga county and purchased a farm in Shippen
township, on which Zura Baker now lives. Here he resided up to 1885, when he sold
it and purchased sixty-three acres on the east side of Marsh creek, which he has
suice made his home, having cleared the land and erected substantial buildings.
On September 10, 1863, Mr. Bradley enlisted in Company C, Ninety-sevfnth New
York Volunteers, which belonged to the Army of the Potomac. He participated
in the battles of Bristoe Station, Mine Eun, Wilderness, Spottsylvania, North
Anna, Cold Harbor, White Oak Swamp, and the assault on Petersburg, June 15 to
19, 1864. Here he was wounded by a minie-ball through the left foot and was sent
to Lincoln Hospital, Washiagton, D. C, and finally discharged on July 9, 1865.
In polities, a Eepubliean, he has served as township supervisor. He is a member of
Cook Post, No. 315, G. A. E., of Wellsboro, and also of Shippen Grange, No. 903,
P. of H., of Ansonia.

Elbkidgb J. Bradley was born ta Colchester, New York,.June 4, 1857, a son
of Isaac and Phoebe (Eyant) Bradley, of Delaware county. When he was two years
old his father died, and he then went to live with his uncle, Peter W. Bradley, of Col-
chester township, Delaware county, with whom he remained until he was eighteen
years of age, in the meantime removing to Sullivan county. New York, about 1867,
with the family. Leaving his uncle's home, he lived about a yeax in Colchester, and
then went to Onondaga county, where he learned the carpenter's trade. He
worked at that business in Onondaga and Delaware counties up to 1879, ia which
year he came to Delmar township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he continued
working at his trade. On June 2, 1881, he married Helen Cady, a daughter of Porter
and Catherine (Paddock) Cady, of Chatham township, who has borne him one son,
Linn N. In 1883 he purchased a farm on Marsh creek, in Shippen township, one
mile east of Ansonia, on which he settled soon after. He cleared and improved this
property, and has since cultivated the farm, while at the same time he devotes
considerable attention to his trade. In April, 1895, he leased aad took charge of
the hotel at Ansonia, owned by the Pennsylvania Joint Land and Lumber Com-
pany, of Williamsport, which he has conducted up to the present. Mr. Bradley is a



BIOGKAPHICAL SKETCHES. 985



stanch KepuWiean, and was elected township auditor in February, 1896. He is
also a memher of the P. 0. S. of A.

Benjamin F. Wheelee was bom in East Hamburg, now Orchard Park, Erie
county, New York, July 3, 1834, a son of Joseph B. and Laura M. (Smith) Wheeler,
of Hamburg township, Erie county. In the autumn of 1836 his parents removed
to Seely Creek, New York, where they lived for six years, and then removed to
Oregon HUl, Lycoming coimty, Pennsylvania. In the spring of 1860, after the death
of his mother, on February 8, of that year, his father came to Delmar township,
Tioga county, and purchased a farm near Stony Fork. He was a carpenter, and
followed his trade in connection with farming. Benjamin F. was in his sixteenth
year when they came to Delmar, and he made his home with Samuel Scranton,
his brother-in-law, until 1853. In that year he went to Lynn county, Iowa, where
he worked at the carpenter's trade until 1855 and then returned to Stony Fork,
Tioga county, where he was married, January 11, 1856, to Lucy A. Warriner, a
daughter of William L. and Naomi (Chase) Warriner, of Delmar township. Five
children have been bom to this marriage, viz: Willis F., of Washington; Martha
A., wife of William Francis; of Morris, Tioga coiuity; Metta E., wife of Walter
S. Brooks, of Wellsboro; Eva M., wife of Frank L. Beauge, of Landrus, and Maggie
E., who died in early youth. Mr. Wheeler bought a farm at Stony Pork, on which
he lived until 1886, also working at the millwright's trade during this period. In
1886 he removed to Wellsboro, lived there up to 1891, and, after a three months' resi-
dence in Petersburg, Virginia, purchased a home on Marsh creek, in Shippen
township, where he is now enjoying the fruits of his industry. In politics, a Repub-
hcan, he has served as assessor, constable and collector. Mr. and Mrs. Wheeler
are members of Morning Dawn Lodge, No. 61, I. 0. G. T., of Marsh Creek, with
which order they have been connected since 1887.

Eli Bartle, a son of Jacob C. and Eunice (Bacon) Bartle, and grandson of
Augustus Bartle, Who settled in Delmar township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in
1841, was bom in Brown township, Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, September 13,
1854. When he was two years old his parents located near Stony Fork, in Delmar
township, where he grew to maturity. He obtained his education in the common
schools and at Wellsboro Academy, and lived at home, assisting in the grist-mill
and on the farm, until he was twenty-six years of age. He also learned the car-
penter's trade, and about 1880 found employment in HoytviUe, Morris township,
where he worked two years. Eetuming to Delmar, he purchased a home in Stony
Pork, and followed the carpenter's trade up to 1886, in which year he settled on his
father's farm in Delmar and devoted his attention to agriculture. Two years later
he purchased an improved farm of 100 acres in Shippen township, which has since
been his home. Mr. Bartle was married September 14, 1881, to Clara A. Frost, a
daughter of Ashabel and Adeline (Morseman) Frost, of Charleston township, and
has two children, Charles L. and Edith C. Though Mr. Bartle devotes his principal
attention to farming, he occasionally works at his trade, and also does wagon and
sled repairing. In politics, he is a Republican, and is connected with the I. 0. 0. F.
Lodge, of Stony Fork.

Alexandee Ebeeenz was bom in Baden, Germany, December 30, 1848, and
is a son of Ferdinand Eberenz, now a resident of Delmar township, Tioga county.



986 HISTOKY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

a sketch of whom will be foimd in this work. He came to Tioga county with his
mother in early childhood, and was reared in Delmar township, where he also
attended the common schools. When about fifteen years of age he began working
ia Hezekiah StoweU's saw-mill, on Pine creek, where he found employment two
years. At the age of eighteen he purchased fifty acres of timber land in Delmar
township, and began clearing off the forest. He sold this property a few years later
to Loron Nobles, and bought fifty acres in the same township, with thirty acres
cleared, on which he erected good buildings. He also owned a farm of forty acres
near Wellsboro, which he paid for out of his own earnings. By the sale of these
two farms he was able to pay for the last purchase, iucluding the improvements, on
which he lived about eleven years. He worked at the carpenter's trade occasionally,
but devoted his principal attention to farming. In 1889, after a tour through Mary-
land, Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee and Delaware, he purchased a farm near
the mouth of Asaph run, erected a house and other buildings and lived there up to
the autumn of 1894, when he sold the property, but has since resided in the same
neighborhood. For the past seven years he has been in the employ of Edwin
Matson & Son, lumber manufacturers and dealers, as general utility man, looking
after the camps, etc. On April 10, 1878, he married Alma Jane Campbell, a daugh-
ter of King Jerome and Charlotte (Peterson) Campbell, of Delmar township, who
has borne him two children, viz: Hattie Jane, who died on July 30, 1895, and Ethel
May. Mr. Eberenz is a member of Tyadaghton Lodge, No. 981, I. 0. 0. F., and
of Asaph Tent, No. 183, K. 0. T. M., of Shippen township. Politically, he is a
stanch Eepublican.

Cheney C. Maynaed, a son of Orville A. and Emily (Gardner) Maynard, was
bom in Covington township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, August 7, 1860. When
he was a child his parents removed to a farm near Canoe Camp, in Eichmond town-
ship, where they resided a few years and then located near Mainesburg, in Sullivan
township. Cheney C. attended the public schools in Eichmond and Sullivan, and
assisted his parents on the farm. His mother died when he was about
fifteen years old, and he was then thrown upon his own resources and
began working out as a farm hand. On January 1, 1883, he married
Anna B. Webster, a daughter of Philander and Mary (Eockwell) Webster, of SulUvan
township. Six children have been bom to them, as follows: Hobart, Howard,
Joseph, Julia, Damie and Homer, all of whom are living at home. In 1884 Mr.
Maynard located upon his wife's farm in Sullivan township, which they sold
two years later and purchased a farm at Mainesburg, upon which they lived until
1889. In that year they sold this property and bought 105 acres in Shippen town-
ship, on which they have since lived. Mr. Maynard has given his attention to
farming and the handling of produce. In politics, he is a Eepublican, and with his
wife belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church. He was also a member of the I. 0.
0. F. at Mainesburg.



CHAPTEE LXIIL

BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES.

Tioga Township and Boeough — Lawrence Township and Lawbenceville
BOKOUGH— Jackson Township.



EiCHAED Mitchell, one of the first settlers of Tioga county, was born in
Orange county, New Jersey, July 5, 1769, and grew to manhood in his native place.
About 1791 he and his brothers, Thomas and Eobert Mitchell, removed to South-
port, Chemung county, Few York. A year later he and Thomas came up the Tioga
river in a canoe and settled at what has since been known as Mitchell's Creek, in
Tioga township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania. On August 15, 1792, he married
Euby Keeney, who was bom at Hartford, Connecticut, October 4, 1771. Their
eldest child, Edsell, whom his descendants claim was the first white child bom in
this county, was bom at Mitchell's Creek, August 37, 1793. They were also the
parents of the following named children: Lovina, bom August 36, 1795, who
married John Inscho; Nancy, bom October 2, 1797, who died in youth; Thomas
K., bom August 5, 1799; Eichard, bom July 7, 1801, and William K., bom De*-
cember 4, 1810. Mr. Mitchell devoted his entire attention to farming, clearing
and improving a place on the Tioga river, near the mouth of Mitchell's creek.
Here he resided until his death, March 11, 1847. His wife died August 14, 1843.
He was a man of strong, athletic build, a fine type of the sturdy pioneers who
settled in the forests of Tioga county and by their energy and industry laid the
foundations of its present prosperity. At the time of his settlement the country was
a dense wilderness, with a few cabins near the junction of the Tioga and Cowanesque
rivers, and perhaps one or two further up the latter stream; but he lived to see the
county thickly settled and the forest gave way to well-improved farms and thriving
towns.

Thomas K. Mitchell, second son of Eichard and Euby Mitchell, was bom at
Mitchell's Creek, Tioga county, August 5, 1799. He was reared upon the homestead
farm and received such education as the pioneer subscription schools afforded. In
1826 he married Elizabeth Eoe, a native of Delhi, Delaware county, New York,
bom August 15, 1809. To this union were bom the following named children:
Solon, who died unmarried December 2, 1848; Mary Ette, who married G. W. Shear-
down; Almira, who married E. T. Bentley; Eowena, who married Micajah De
Labar; Euby, who died December 28, 1854; Thomas B. S., who was killed by the
cars at Tioga, December 2, 1893; Jefferson B., of Plainfield, Wisconsin; John I.,
president judge of Tioga county; Elizabeth J., wife of Leroy Gleason, of Canton,
Bradford county; Emily A., wife of David Cameron, of Wellsboro, and Jane D., wife
of B. B. Borden, of Plainfield, Wisconsin. Mr. Mitchell passed his whole life at
Mitchell's Creek, engaged in farming, lumbering and merchandising. There he



HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.



erected in 1836, tlie year of his marriage, the first hrick house built in Tioga county,
and kept an inn in it for a number of years. He died August 28, 1861. His widow
died at the home of her son^ Thomas, February 15, 1887. In religion, the family
are adherents of the Baptist church, and in politics, supporters of the Eepubhcan
party.

EoBEKT Mitchell, a native of Vermont, was one of the early settlers of the
Tioga vaJley. He was born July 18, 1779, and came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania,
about the year 1796, settling at Mitchell's Creek, where his brothers, Eichard and
Thomas Mitchell, who came into the county in 1793, were then living. He took up
and cleared a farm and made farming the occupation of his life. He married
Abigail Ives, who bore him the following children- John, Thaddeus, Parmenia,
Cynthia, who married Amasa Mudge; Lucy, who married Alonzo Phelps; Lavina,
who married Jonathan Eoe; Nancy, who married Seth Albee; Eosina, who married
George Mitchell; Abby, who married WilHam Butler; Matilda, who married
Samuel Hartsock, and Euth, the only one now living, who married Dr. Seely, of
Addison, New York. Mr. Mitchell was a strong, athletic, vigorous man, and was
noted for his superior ability as a wrestler. He was also industrious and hard-work-
ing, and did his share as a pioneer in clearing the wilderness in the midst of which
he settled.

John Mitchell, eldest son of Eobert Mitchell, was born at Mitchell's Creek,
Tioga county, December 3, 1800, and there grew to maturity. He married Eliza^
beth Hartsock, who was born November 19, 1810, and bore him the following
children: Albert, a resident of Millerton; Margaret, wife of M. K. Eetan, of the same
village; John, deceased; Thaddeus, also a resident of Millerton; George W., who
lives in Jackson township; Austin and Maiyette, both of whom are dead. Mr.
Mitchell settled on Alder run, in Jackson township, about 1836, where he passed
the remaining years of his life. He cleared a farm and operated a saw-mill at that



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 134 of 163)