Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 137 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 137 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


schools and in the Wellsboro Academy, and subsequently clerked in a store at
Elmira, New York, four years. He then embarked in the mercantile business in
Tioga with Charles 0. Etz, the firm being Etz & Lowell, in which he remained
two years, and then entered the employ of T. L. Baldwin & Company, for whom
he clerked five years. About 1866 Mr. Lowell bought the interest of H. F. Wells
in the tannery of Johnston & Wells, of Tioga, and also became interested in several
other tanneries in the county. The firm in Tioga became Johnston & Lowell, and
afterwards Lowell & Company. Finally the New York partner failed, carryuig
down the business with him. After retiring from the tannery business Mr. Lowell
devoted his attention to the cultivation of his 600-acre farm situated a mile north
of Tioga borough, and known as the old Jacob Prutsman farm. While paying due
attention to diversified crops, he devoted himself principally to the raising of
tobacco and the breeding of Hambletonian horses. He was a thorough business
man and brought business principles to bear upon every detail of his farm work.
Possessing untiring energy, a clear, well-balanced mind, and good executive abiUty,
he usually succeeded in whatever he undertook, and was regarded as one of the best
farmers in Tioga county. Mr. Lowell was twice married. His first wife was Laura
Schieffelin, a daughter of Jacob Schieffelin. She died September 18, 1866. On
November 18, 1869, he married Mrs. Sarah M. Etz, widow of Lieut. Charles 0.
Etz, of Company D, Fifty-seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, who was killed by a
shell at the battle of Malvern Hill, July 1, 1862. Etz Post, No. 401, G. A. E., of
Tioga, was named in his honor. Mrs. Lowell is a daughter of Samuel B. aad
Amelia (Green) Wellington, and was bom in West Moriah, Essex county. New
York, December 6, 1834. She came with her parents to Tioga in 1845, and was
married to Charles 0. Etz, November 18, 1852. She was postmistress of Tioga
from 1863 to 1868. By her marriage to Mr. Lowell was born one daughter, Laura,
a graduate of Elmira College. In polities, Mr. Lowell was an ardent Eepublican,
was a member of the borough council of Tioga five years, and burgess from 1874
to 1876. He also served as a school director. He died June 19, 1896, of Bright's
disease, and his death, was sincerely mourned by the people of the community
wherein his whole life had been passed.

H. E. Smith was bom in Sidney, Delaware county, New York, November 4,
1811. His father, Samuel Smith, was a native of Bennington, Vermont, and as a



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1003



boy witnessed the battle of Bennington, fought during the Eevolution. Samuel
married Lucy Greenslit, and during the closing years of the last century removed
to Sidney, New York, where he spent the remainder of his life. H. E. was reared,
in Sidney, and when a young man went tO' Oneonta to learn the boot and shoe
trade, remaining there until his removal to Tioga, Pennsylvania, in February, 1839.
Upon his arrival in that borough, he embarked in the boot and shoe business, which
he carried on in his own name until 1854, when the firm became H. B. Smith &
Son, his son, Henry N., taking an interest in the business. In 1856 the latter
removed to Buffalo, and September 29, 1859, his brother, C. B., became a member
of the firm, the title remaining the same up to the present. Mr. Smith was married
January 6, 1831, to Lucy M. Mantor, a daughter of Thomas and Mehitable Mantor.
She was bom November 25, 1813. This venerable couple, who recently celebrated
their sixty-sixth wedding anniversary, are the parents of four children, viz: Maria
L., widow of Dr. H. H. Borden; Henry N., a resident of New York City; C. E.,
and Julia E., wife of C. J. Wheeler, of Wellsboro. In politics, Mr. Smith is a
Eepublican. He was a member of the first borough council, and also seized in that
body from 1862 to 1865, and again in 1873. He has also served as a justice of the
peace and township treasurer, and has been prominent in every undertaking calcu-
lated to forward the welfare and prosperity of the borough.

C. E. Smith was bom in Oneonta, Otsego county. New York, June 14, 1836,
a son of H. E. and Lucy M. Smith, and grandson of Samuel Smith. After acquiring
a common school education, he took a course in Alfred University, Alfred Center,
New York. The years of 1857 and 1858 he spent principally in St. Paul and
Minneapolis, and in traveling over wh^t was then considered the far west. In
1859 he returned to Tioga, and on September 29, of that year, entered into nart-
nership with his father in the boot and shoe business, in which he has since con-
tinued. The firm sufliered by the fire of 1871, but notwithstanding their heavy
loss at that time, have since carried on the business with success. Mr. Smith was
married August 24, 1859, to Mary Thorne Miller, a daughter of Abram and Julia
Miller, of Southport, New York. Their only child, Harry O., married Lena Phelps,
and resides in Tioga. In politics, Mr. Smith is a Eepublican, has been a member
of the borough council several terms, and is one of the leading citizens of Tioga.

Eettben Daggett was a native of Westmoreland county. New Hampshire, and
removed to Paris, Oneida county. New York, whence he came to Jackson township,
Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1807. Here, with the assistance of his sons, Eufus,
Eeuben and Seth, he erected a mill, at the point since knovra as Daggett's Mills,
where he spent the remaining years of his life.

Seth Daggett, a son of Eeuben Daggett, was bom in Westmoreland county.
New Hampshire, July 3, 1790, and was seventeen years old when his father settled
in this county. He assisted him in operating the mill and became one of the
prominent citizens of the county, filling the office of sheriff one term. He built
several saw-mills in various localities, and in 1842 came to Tioga borough and pur-
chased the Willard property, and also three farms. He married Eunice Allen; of
Barnstable, Massachusetts, who bore him the following children: Allen, who died
in Lawrenceville, in March, 1886; George, who died in 1850; Lewis, a resident of
Tioga; Clymena, deceased wife of Eichard Stilwell; Minerva, widow of Daniel



1004 HISTOKT OF TIOGA COUNTY.



Dewey; Kowena, wife of W. T. Urell, of Tioga; Maxy Ann, widow of H. W. Caulk-
ing, and Charlotte, deceased. Mr. Daggett died Jannaxy 3, 1874, and his wife,
March 23, 1864.

Lewis Daggett, son of Seth Daggett, and grandson of Kenben Daggett, was
bom in Jackson township, Tioga county, May 5, 1816. He received a common
school education and began his business life as a lumberman and farmer. In 1838
he opened a general store at Daggett's Mills, and later built a saw-mill. In 1848
he came to Tioga, subsequently removing to Chatham township, where he remained
eighteen months. Eeturning to Tioga, he was engaged in merchandising for a
number of years. In 1870 he removed to Lawreneeville, where he ran the Daggett
House for a number of years, and was then succeeded by his son, W. L. In 1890
Mr. Daggett returned to Tioga, where he has since resided. On March 4, 1839, he
married Ellen S. Wells, a daughter of Norman and Elizabeth Wells. Of seven
children bom to this imion, three are living, as follows: Seth 0., of Tioga; W.
L., of Bellefonte, and Myrtle, wife of P. W. Fletcher, of Newberry, Lycoming
county. Mrs. Daggett was born January 30, 1821, and died on June 22, 1894. In
politics, he is a Eepublican, and in religion, a Universalist. He was appointed
postmaster of Tioga in 1851, by President Pillmore, and in 1861 by President
Lincoln.

Seth 0. Daggett was bom at Daggett's Mills, September 14, 1845, and is
the oldest living child of Lewis Daggett. He obtained his education in the com-
mon schools and at Mansfield State Normal School, and before he was sixteen
years old began clerking for Sly & Alford, of Tioga. In 1862 he bought out the
business, continued it four years, and then engaged in lumbering on Pine creek,
which he followed one year. He next went west and spent some time in Chicago,
Cincinnati ajid other places. In 1870 he engaged in the hotel business with his
father in Lawreneeville, remaining there until 1880, when he came to Tioga and
conducted the Park Hotel for a year and a half. He next ran the Kiple House,
of Honesdale; then the Eyant House, of Horseheads, New York, two years; the
Wilcox House, of Wellsboro, five years; the Seymour House, of Blossburg, a year,
and the Stinson House, of Athens, one year. On July 1, 1890, he became proprietor
of the Park Hotel, of Tioga, which he conducted till May, 1896. Mr. Daggett was
married June 9, 1878, to Ella Boynton, who bore him two children, Georgia A.
and Leah M. His wife died October 2, 1885; he was again married on October
19, 1893, to Katie Hymes, who has borne him one child, Aldean M. In politics,
Mr. Daggett is a Eepublican, and is also a member of Tioga Lodge, No. 373, F. &
A. M.

De. Jacob Schieffelin was bom in New York City, April 20, 1793. His
father, Jacob SchiefEelin, was bom in Philadelphia, August 24, 1757, and his
grandfather in Germany, February 4, 1732. The subject of this sketch was reared
to manhood in his native city. When but seventeen years of age he was an ensign
in the militia, at twenty a captain and at twenty-one a colonel. After a thorough
preparatory education, he began the study of medicine in 1810 with Dr. Onder-
donk, afterward Protestant Episcopal bishop of Pennsylvania, and attended three
courses of lectures at Columbia College, from which institution he graduated in
1822. He at once became a partner with his brother, H. H. Schieflelin, in the



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1005

■wholesale drug house of H. H. SchiefEelin & Company, of New York. During
the next &ve yeaxs he spent his summers in New York and his winters in Savannah,
Charleston, Mobile, New Orleans and Hayana, acquiring in the meantime a fair
knowledge of the Spanish language. He was in command of the militia regiment
in New York City that received Lafayette in 1824, and at the reception which
followed he was presented to that distinguished visitor. In 1824 he went to Mexico
and opened a branch store. While there he made the acquaintance of Santa Anna,
then a lieutenant in the Mexican cavalry, but afterwards the celebrated commander-
in-chief of the Mexican army. In 1828, having previonsly purchased large bodies
of land in Tioga and Lycoming counties, Pennsylvania, he removed to Tioga
county and located on Hill's creek, in Chaxleston township. In 1830 he erected
a saw-mill and the fallowing year a laxge frame dwelling. He later disposed of his
land and in 1845 removed to Tioga borough, where he passed the remaining years
of his Ufe, dying December 27, 1880, in the eighty-eighth year of his age. Dr.
SchiefEelin married Elizabeth Black and reared the following named children:
Chnton, who died in Los Angeles, California; Alfred, a resident of «Charleston
township; Elizabeth, a resident of Tioga; Laura, who married the late 0. B.
Lowell, of Tioga, and died in Elmira, September 18, 1866; Cornelia, who lives in
Los Angeles, California; Edward G-., a resident of Wellsboro and superintendent
of the Stokesdale tannery; Jacob, a retired merchant of Tioga, and Mrs. Hannah
Lyon, who lives in Illinois. Mrs. Schieifelin died in 1881, aged eighty-four years.

Jacob Schieefelin, youngest son of Dr. Jacob Schieffelin, was born in Charles-
ton township, Tioga county, April 18, 1838, and removed with his parents to Tioga
in 1845, where he grew to manhood. In 1866 he was one of the contractors who
drilled the oil well on the Abiel Sly land, on Bear creek. In 1867 he established
in Tioga a hardware and tinsmithing business, which he carried on with marked
success until January, 1895, when he sold out to William Kimball and retired
from active business. Mr. SchiefEelin was married February 1, 1865, to Ella Eyon,
a daughter of Charles and Susanna Gertrude (White) Eyon, and has three children,
viz: Lila G., Edward E. and Jacob. Mrs. SchiefEelin died in 1894, aged fifty-two
years. In politics, Mr. SchiefEelin is a Eepubliean, and in religion, a member of
the Presbyterian church. Since arriving at manhood he has been regarded as one
of the most enterprising citizens of Tioga, and every worthy project has found in
him an earnest and liberal supporter. He stands high in the esteem of his fellow-
citizens, afi a man of sterling integrity and upright character.

W. T. Ueei,l was bom at Eath-na-leen, County Tipperary, Ireland, in May,
1832. He immigrated to the United States and settled in Tioga, Pennsylvania,
in 1848, where he found employment in the store of Lewis Daggett. He after-
wards served as deputy postmaster under C. G. Dennison during the presidency of
Taylor and Pierce, and in 1857 was appointed postmaster by President Buchanan,
a position he held until 1861. He was also postmaster during President Cleve-
land's first term, resigning at that time the office of justice of the peace, which he
had filled for several terms. In 1857 Mr. Urell embarked in business, confining
himself to groceries, provisions, books and notions, and has to his credit a continu-
ous and successful business career of nearly forty years. He owes his sucpess in life
to persistent and persevering industry, strict honesty, and sterling integrity, which



1006 HISTOBT OF TIOGA COUNTY.



have won for him the respect and confidence of the community in which he has
lived for nearly half a eentmy. Mr. TJrell united with the Presbyterian church
about 1860. He married Eowena Daggett, a daughter of Maj. Seth Daggett, to
which union have been bom five children, all natives of Tioga, viz: Robert Emmett,
bom June 4, 1851; Charles Allen, October 16, 1852; Mary Lottie, November 4,
1864; Tom Moore, May 3, 1857, and Richard Daggett, June 19, 1859. Robert E.
married Eva Squire, only child of Aaron Squire, June 21, 1893. Mary L. mar-
ried H. L. Baldwin, a lawyer of Tioga, June 36, 1884, and has two daughters.
Marguerite and Dorothy. Tom M. married Maud Babcock, a daughter of F. G.
and Prances L. Babcock, of Tioga, October 12, 1893. Richard D. remained at
home until 1887 and then took charge of the Brooklyn Hotel, which he has since
purchased and still conducts. He married Emma VanGorder, who has borne him
two children, Nona, deceased, and Walter. With the exception of a few years the
three elder sons have been and are the efficient assistants of their father in the
mercantile business. The whole family have been life-long Democrats and have
taken an active interest in promoting the success of the principles and measures of
that party. Robert E., especially, has been prominent in local politics. He believes
in free trade and advocates the single tax theory on land values as the only means to
insure and preserve the equal rights of all men to a fair share of the land. He was the
Democratic county chairman in 1890, and his party's nominee for state senator in
the Twenty-fifth district in 1892. Though unable to overcome the large Republi-
can majority he made a vigorous and creditable canvass.

Stephen C. Alfoed was bom in Connecticut, in 1817, and removed with his
parents to Bainbridge, New York, at an early age. About 1831 he came to Tioga,
Pennsylvania, and began clerking for A. C. Bush, with whom he remained several
years. In 1855 he embarked in merchandising in partnership with Abiel Sly, and
the firm of Sly & Alford continued in business for seven years. Mr. Alford mar-
ried Ruth Lindsey, a daughter of David B. Lindsey. She was bom in Wellsboro,
Tioga county, in 1824, and is still living. She became the mother of two children:
James, who died in 1862, and H. S., of Tioga. Mr. Alford died in January, 1871,
after a residence in Tioga of some forty years.

H. S. Alfokd, only living child of Stephen C. and Ruth Alford, was bom in
Tioga, Pennsylvania, February 8, 1855. He received a good English education,
and subsequently found employment with the Erie Railroad Company, serving as
assistant telegraph operator under J. Dillistin, whom he succeeded in 1883, as
ticket and freight agent of the Erie Company in Tioga, a position he still holds.
He is also a member of the firm of Alford & Inscho, coal dealers. Mr. Alford was
married September 30, 1880, to Mary E. Doane, a daughter of Jesse B. Doane, and
has one daughter, Bessie. In politics, Mr. Alford is a Republican, and is also con-
nected with Tioga Lodge, No. 373, P. & A. M.; Phoenix Lodge, No. 933, K. of H.,,
and Tioga Tent, No. 176, K. 0. T. M. In the discharge of the duties of his position,
Mr. Alford has proven not only loyal to the interests of the railroad company, but
has made himself deservedly popular with the traveling public by his uniform
kindness and courtesy.

Jonas, Galusha Putnam was bom in New York state, in 1810. In early
life he was a millwright and built several of the first mills erected in northeastern.



BIOGBAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1007



New York. In 1849 lie came to Tioga, Pennsylvania, where he continued to follow
the same business up to 1886, when he retired from active labor. He was married
in Essex county, New York, to Sophia Havens, who became the mother of three
children, as follows: George Stevenson and Mrs. E. S. Hickok, both residents of
Buffalo, and John H., a lawyer of Tioga. Mr. Putnam died in 1893, and his wife,
in 1886, in the seventy-second year of her age.

Philo Tullek, druggist, was born in Butler, Wayne county. New York, Octo-
ber 26, 1837, a son of Worden and Elizabeth (Olmstead) Tullcr. His father settled
in Wayne county at an early day, but afterwards removed to Hastings county,
Ontario, Canada, where he passed the remainder of his life. Philo received a com-
mon school education and at the age of eighteen began learning the cabinet-making
trade in Lyons, Wayne county, New York. In 1851 he came to Tioga, where he
carried on the cabinet-making business until 1860. Prom 1863 until after the
war, Mr. TuUer was employed by the government in the construction department.
He then returned to Tioga and embarked in the drug business, which he has carried
on successfully for the past thirty j^eaxs. On December 14, 1850, he married
Harriet Mack. In politics, Mr. TuUer is a Republican; was one of the signers of
the petition asking for the corporation of Tioga borough; served in the council
in 1866, 1871 and 1873; was a justice of the peace from 1867 to 1870; postmaster
of Tioga from 1868 to 1885, and was elected burgess in February, 1897. During
a residence of nearly half a century in Tioga, Mr. TuUer has been identified with
every movement for the upbuilding of the community. To' a successful and hon-
orable business career, he has added the reputation of a public-spirited citizen. In
his business he has kept pace with the times, and has a well-stocked store, especially
attractive in its interior arrangement.

Joseph Smead was born in Massachusetts, in 1759, and removed to Swanzey,
New Hampshire, at an early day, where he followed the blacksmith's trade. He
was an ardent patriot and served with honor in the Continental army during the
Revolution. He was twice married. His first wife, Sarah Lyman, bore him one
daughter, Sallie, who died in youth. His second wife, was Mrs. Sarah Wetherell,
nee Brown, widow of Bbenezer Wetherell. She became the mother of three chil-
dren, as follows: Persis Lyman, who died in 1840; Joseph B., a retired machinist
of Massachusetts, and Ephraim A., of Tioga. Mr. Smead died in 1834, and his
wife in 1858.

Ephhaim a. Smead, youngest child of Joseph and Sarah Smead, was born in
Swanzey, New Hampshire, February 1, 1833, and there obtained a common school
ediTcation. When seventeen years old he went to Boston and learned the tinner's
trade, at which he worked until 1853, when he came to Tioga county and bought
some land. Soon afterwards he secured a patent for making square pans, the right
to use which he sold in New York, Boston, Philadelphia and other cities. In 1863
he came to Tioga borough and embarked in the hardware business, which he has
successfully continued up to the present, and erected his present store building on
Wellsboro street in 1873. On September 38, 1846, Mr. Smead married Susan
Knight, a daughter of Joseph and Sarah Knight. She was born in New Hamp-
shire, November 6, 1836. In politics, Mr. Smead is a Republican. He was one
of the signers of the petition asking for the incorporation of Tioga; served in the



1008 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

ooiuncil from 1877 to 1881; was elected burgess in 1882, 1892, 1893 and 1894, and
was borough treasurer from 1884 to 1887, and again in 1889. He is a member
of St. Andrew's Protestant Episcopal church, of Tioga, and also of Tioga Lodge,
No. 373, P. & A. M., and Tioga Eiver Lodge, No. 797, I. 0. 0. P. Mr. Smead is
one of the leading citizens and substantial business men of Tioga.

Eli S. Pake was bom and reared at "Windham, Vermont, and there married
Mary Putnam. Pour children were bom to this union, as follows: W. 0., a book-
keeper in Seattle, Washington; Abram, superintendent of the Middlebury tannery,
and a resident of Niles Valley; C. B., of Williamsport, and Leroy, a resident of
Tioga. About 1854 Mr. Parr and family came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania,
and located at the old railway station below Tioga borough, where Mr. Parr operated
a saw-mill and carried on a grocery store for a short time. He then moved back
to Vermont, where he stayed a year or two. About 1857 or 1858 he returned to
Tioga county, and after a short stay in Tioga borough, located in Wellsboro, and
conducted a hotel on the site of the present Coles House. About 1859 he removed
to the site now occupied by the Wilcox House, where he kept hotel for several
years. In 1863 he returned to Tioga borough, and took charge of the Goodrich
Hotel. He retired from active business in 1880, and died October 8, 1890, aged
seventy-six years. His widow is living in Tioga borough.

C. B. Pake, a son of Eli S. Parr, was born in Windham, Vermont, Pebruary
22, 1846, and was about nine years old when his parents came to Tioga county. He
attended the common schools of Wellsboro and Tioga. He later clerked for A. P.
Cone, on Pine creek, and next became a clerk for Eeddington, Maxwell & Leonard,
of Troy, Bradford county. In 1868 he took an interest in the mercantile business
with T. A. Wickham, which then became Wickham & Parr. He remained in this
firm until 1878, when he became interested with 0. B. Lowell in the Tioga and
Middlebury tanneries, which partnership was dissolved in 1884 and the business
discontinued. Mr. Parr then embarked in the lumber business on Pine creek,
under the firm name of 0. B. Parr & Company. In May, 1893, the firm sold out
to the Union Tanning Company, and he later removed to Williamsport, where he is
engaged with that company. Mr. Parr was married December 13, 1870, to Ella
A. Wellington, a daughter of Samuel B. and Amelia Wellington, and has two
children, Lowell W. and Quiney W. The family is connected with the Protestant
Episcopal church. In polities, Mr. Parr is a Eepublican, and was prominent in
the local councils of his party. He served in the borough council in 1869, and
from 1878 to 1883; also as burgess of Tioga from 1887 to 1891. He has also
filled the ofiice of school director, and is a man of commendable enterprise and
public spirit.

N. E. Shappee was born near Horseheads, Chemung county. New York, No-
vember 24, 1833, a son of Abner K. and Polly (Brooks) Shappee. His parents
resided in Chemung county until their death. They reared a family of seven chil-
dren, as follows: David, a resident of Alpine, New York; Abner, who died in
Nebraska in 1893; Thomas, a resident of Elmira, who died in 1895; Knapp, of
the same city, who died in 1896; Nathan E., of Tioga; Mariett, deceased wife of
Louis Larrison, of Horseheads, and Eebecca, wife of Burton Stanley, of Tioga.
The subject of this sketch received a common school education, and came to Tioga



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1009



in early manhood, where he followed the occupation of teaming for many years.
By industry and prudence he has accumulated a valuable property. On May 17,
1853, Mr. Shappee married Julia Schoch, a daughter of Frederick and Eosina Schoch,
who has borne him four children: Eosa, wife of F. C. Prutsman, of Elmira; Mollie,
who died in infancy; Anna, who died March 17, 1893, and Frederick W., a sten-
ographer of Tioga. During the Civil War Mr. Shappee served as a corporal in
Company H, Forty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and for a part of the time was
quartermaster sergeant. In politics, a Eepublican, he has served in the council
from 1890 to 1896, and also filled the office of street commissioner for three years.



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 137 of 163)