Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 138 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 138 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


He is a member of Etz Post, No. 401, G. A. E., also of the E. A. TJ., and in religion,
is an adherent of the Presbyterian church.

Feedeeick W. Shappee, only son of N. E. Shappee, was born in Tioga, Penn-
sylvania, July 27, 1872, and was educated in the Tioga graded school and at Miller's
Business College, Elmira, New York. He clerked for G. G. Saxton for three years
and in November, 1893, accepted a clerkship in the law office of F. B. Smith, of
Tioga, Pennsylvania, where he has since been with the exception of about six
months, when he was with the wholesale grocery house of C. E. Maltby & Brother, of
Coming, New York. In June, 1895, he married Ann Wilkin, daughter of Daniel
Wilkin, of Morris Eun, Pennsylvania, who has borne him one daughter. Mr.
Shappee is a Eepublican, and was elected auditor of Tioga borough in 1892, which
office he filled for three years, and at the expiration of his term was elected a justice
of the peace in February, 1895, which position he still holds. He is a charter mem-
ber of Smead Hose Company, No. 1; also a member of Tioga Lodge, No. 373,
F. & A. M., of Tioga. He is very fond of athletic sports and was a member of the
Smead Eunning Team which gained an enviable reputation as sprinters in Tioga
county in the summer of 1894. During the spare moments he finds time to pursue
the study of law and gives promise of attaining a CTeditable place in the ranks of
that profession.

John J. Davis was bom in Millbrook, Pembrokeshire, Wales, in 1837, and immi-
grated to the United States when ten years of age. He became a door-tender in the
coal mines at Hyde Park, Lackawanna county, Pennsylvania, and worked in the mines
until eighteen years of age. He was then made a foreman, and later explored and put
down a number of shafts for the company. He subsequently came to Blossburg,
Tioga county, and was employed by the old salt company and its successor, the
Morris Eun Coal Company, in exploring and developing the mines at Morris Eun.
Mr. Davis opened up the East and Salt Lake drifts. He advocated and adopted
the T rail for mine tramways, and was the first to introduce mules in the mines.
He resigned in December, 1874, upon which, occasion he was presented with a gold
watch inscribed as follows: "Presented to John J. Davis, by workingmen of Morris
Eun, Pennsylvania, as a token of their esteem, December, 1874." In 1876 he was
appointed superintendent of mines at Amot, by the Blossburg Coal Company, a
position he held until the fall of 1880. While filling it Mr. Davis explored and
re-opened the lower drift, experimented with the coal, and demonstrated its
adaptability for coking purposes. In the fall of 1880 he resigned and removed
to Mansfield to educate his children. In 1882 Mr. Davis was employed as superin-
tendent of construction of the Tioga Coke and Coal Washing Plant, at Tioga, by
64



1010 HISTOEY OP TIOGA COUNTY.

the Fall Brook Coal Company, and upon the resignation of Hon. Simon B. Elliott,
he became superintendent of the plant. He died while holding this position,
January 21, 1891, after an illness of three months. He was succeeded
by his son, James T., who held the position until July 1, 1894, when
the plant closed down because of its inability to meet ruinous competition. Mr.
Davis married Mary V. James, who was born in Mauch Chunk, Pennsylvania, in
1837, and is now a resident of Tioga borough. Seven children were born to this
union, viz: Alfred J., shipping agent at Philadelphia, of the Buffalo, Eoch ester
and Pittsburg Eailroad Company; Eowland W., clerk in the office of the Fall
Brook Coal Company, at Fall Brook; James T., of Tioga; Anna M., who died in
Sefptember, 1885; Mary G., John J., a resident of Philadelphia, and Franchot E.
In politics, Mr. Davis was a Eepublican, and cast his first vote in 1860 for Abraham
Lincoln. In religion, a Baptist, he organized the Union Sunday-school at Morris
Eun, and was active in church and social affairs.

James T. Datis was born at Morris Eun, Tioga county, February 19, 1865,
a son of John J. Davis. He was educated in the common schools and at the Mans-
field State Normal, and read medicine with Dr. H. H. Borden, of Tioga. In the
autumn of 1886 he entered the Medical Department of the University of New
York, and in 1887 became a student at Columbia College. Ill health compelled
him to abandon his studies and forego a professional career. Eeturning home he
clerked for his father, and February 10, 1890, was appointed postmaster of Tioga,
which office he resigned February 10, 1893. In January, 1891, he succeeded his
father as superintendent of the Tioga Coke and Coal Washing Plant, which position
he filled until the business was abandoned. On July 1, 1894, he succeeded E. P.
H. McAllister as local ticket and freight agent of the Fall Brook Eailroad Com-
pany, at Tioga, which office he still holds. In politics, a Eepublican, he has filled
the offices of constable, school director, collector and township clerk. He is a
member of Tioga Lodge, No. 373, F. & A. M., and is one of the most popular men
in the community.

S. P. Hakes, physician and surgeon, was bom in Parish, Oswego county, New
York, June 2, 1861, a son of Eichard and Minerva (Mack) Hakes. He is one of
nine children, named as follows: Montrose, a resident of Parish; Lucius A., of
Syracuse; Harriet J., wife of Frank Jones, of Utica; Marie H., wife of Charles
Aldrich, of Parish; Eollin, deceased; Catherine, wife of John Crim, of Parish;
Nettie, deceased; S. P., and Ella, wife of John Dennis, also a
resident of Parish. The subject of this sketch was reared on his father's farm,
and after pursuing a course of study at Mexico, New York, he came to Tioga,
Pennsylvania, and entered the drug store of Philo Tuller, where he clerked three
years. He then began reading medicine under Dr. Eobert B. Smith, of Tioga, and
later became a student in the Medical Department of the University of New York,
from which institution he graduated in the spring of 1888. Eeturning to Tioga
he at once began the practice of his profession, which he has continued up to the
present. Dr. Hakes was married April 2, 1891, to May Cole, a daughter of A. C. Cole,
of Hammond, Tioga county, to which union has been bom one son, Howard. In
polities. Dr. Hakes is a Eepublican, and is also a member of Tioga Lodge, No. 373,
F. & A. M., and of Tioga Eiver Lodge, No. 797, 1. 0. 0. P. He is the local medical



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. IQH



examiner of the Equitable, New York Life, Prudential, Mutual Benefit, Odd Fel-
lows, and other insurance companies and associations, and is also a member of the
board of pension examiners of Tioga county. Dr. Hakes has built up a large and
lucrative practice by close attention to his professional duties and persistent industry.
His success is a merited recognition of his personal integrity and professional honor.
He is progressive in his ideas, and keeps himself fully abreast of the improvements
in medical science.

William Kimball, son of Dayton C. and Mary (Dunham) Kimball, was bom
in Catlin, Chemung county, New York, April 18, 1848. ] He was reared on a farm,
and when fifteen years of age ran away from home and enlisted in Company C,
One Hundred and Sixty-first New York Volunteers, and served until the close of
the war. Returning home he engaged in farming and lumbering. On January 1,
1869, he married Sarah Dunham, a daughter of Wright Dunham, deceased, of
Bradford county, to which union have been born the following children: Jesse,
Grace, Harry and Frank. From 1881 to 1893, in addition to his lumber interests,
Mr. Kimball also kept a general store at Mitchell's Creek. In the early part of
January, 1895, he purchased the hardware and tinsmithing business of Jacob
Schiefielin, in Tioga, which he carried on in connection with lumbering, until
January, 1897, when John L. Inscho purchased an interest in the business, and
the firm became Inscho & Kimball. Mr. Kimball is an ardent Eepublican, and
has filled the office of county commissioner and also that of road supervisor. Jan-
uary 1, 1897, he was appointed superintendent of the county almshouse and farm,
which position he still holds. He is a membra" of Tioga Lodge, No. 373, F. & A.
M.; Tioga River Lodge, No. 797, I. 0. 0. F., and Etz Post, No. 401, G. A. R., in
all of which he takes an active interest.

WiLBUB Bbown was born in Tioga township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania,
May 6, 1889, a son of Joseph and Eva Brown. His father, a native of Connecticut,
came to this county at an early day, where he followed farming and lumbering.
His mother died when Wilbur was a child, and his father remarried, and died in
1849, aged seventy-two years. The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm,
and throughout his earlier years followed farming and lumbering. He served in
Company H, Two Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, and took part
ia the battles of Fort Steadman, Port Royal, Spottsylvania and Petersburg. In
1866 he located in Farmington township, on a farm which he still owns, remaining
there until 1893. In that year he rerrioved to Tioga village, where he owns a resi-
dence and a small tract of land, and is living retired from the active duties of life.
Mr. Brown was married August 17, 1849, to Lucy Sharp, a daughter of Philip and
Catherine Sharp, and a native of Campbell Town, Steuben county, New York.
Her ancestors came from France and settled on the Delaware river, and later became
pioneers of Steuben county. Her father died in 1849, aged seventy-five years,
and her mother, in 1873, at the age of eighty-eight. Mrs. Brown is the mother
of four children, viz: Delia, wife of Thomas Spencer, of Farmington; Frajices
C, who died at the age of thirty-five; Reuben T., of Tioga township, and George,
of Chicago. Mr. and Mrs. Brown are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
In politics, he is a Republican, and is also a member of Etz Post, No. 401, G. A. R.

Walter C. Adams was bo'm in Tioga, Pennsylvania, May 9, 1868, a son of



±012 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.



Frank H. and Ellen M. (Carpenter) Adams. He was educated in the common
school's and Selwyn Hall Military School, Eeading, Pennsylvania. He learned
telegraphy and worked in the office of the Fall Brook Eailroad Company at Tioga,
four years, and later for some time in Buffalo, New York, in the Western Union
Telegraph office. He then clerked in his father's store in Tioga for two years.
In June, 1894, he engaged in the meat market and grocery business in the Park
Hotel block, Tioga, continuing until June, 1895. Since July, 1895, he has been
employed in the passenger service of the Fall Brook Eailway Company, and now
resides in Wellsboro. Mr. Adams was married September 18, 1886, to Nettie Van
Gorder, a daughter of George and Derinda VanGorder, and has one child, Dorothy.
In politics, he is a Eepublicaji, and in religion, a member of the Protestant Episcopal
church.

Daniel L. Nobles, son of Loron and Jane C. (Eussell) Nobles, of Delmar
township, Tioga county, was bom in Delmar, November 16, 1850, and is the fifth
in a family of seven children. He received a common school education, was
reared upon the homestead, and after amving at manhood followed lumbering
about ten years. He next kept the Guide Board House, on the Wellsboro road,
in Delmar township, for four years. In 1890 he came to Tioga borough and em-
barked in the livery business, which he still carries on. Mr. Nobles was married
April 32, 1872, to Emma J. English, a daughter of William and Mary Ann English,
and has had two children, William H. and Charles Wesley, the latter of whom died
at two years of age. Mrs. Nobles' father died Februajy 4, 1890, and her mother.
May 26, 1870. She is a member of the Protestant Episcopal church, and with
her husband has been connected with Keystone Lodge, No. 105, Order of the
World. He is a member of Tioga Tent, K. 0. T. M., and in politics, a Eepublican.

Thomas Graves was born near Covington, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in
1820, a son of Josiah and Polly Graves, pioneers of that locality. He there grew
to manhood, and for a number of years afterwards conducted a hotel in Covington,
keeping at different times the Covington and Mansion Hotels. He married
Samantha Howe, who bore him the following children: Esther M., wife of Ed-
ward Doane, of Mansfield; Harr}' T., editor of the Milled;on Advocate; Frederick
L., editor of the Tioga Argus j Fannie, wife of W. J. Keeney, of Southport, New
York, and Walter A., a resident of Seely Creek, in the same State. Mr. Graves is
still living, at the ripe age of seventy-seven years.

Frederick L. Graves, editor of the Tioga Argus, was bom in Covington,
Tioga county, April 8, 1852, second son of Thomas Graves. He received a com-
mon school education, and in October, 1870, began learning the printing trade in
the office of the Blossburg Register, then conducted by his brother, Haary T. He
later acquired an interest in the paper, the firm becoming Graves Brothers. In
the spring of 1875 he sold his interest to I. E. Doud, and continued in the office as
an employe. In 1878 he became Doud's partner, and two yeai-s afterwards they
sold the plant to John L. Sexton, Mr. Graves continuing to work in the office.
From 1882 to 1884 he published the Elkland Journal and then worked at his trade
in Mansfield for a time. He next became interested in the Blossburg Register,
as a partner of S. N. Havens, and subsequently with C. H. Ely. He afterwards
worked in Mansfield, remaining in that place until July 22, 1892, when he came



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1013



to Tioga and established the Argus, which he has since edited and published. Mr.
Graves was married Januajy 2d, 1879, to Maggie Lajiane, who died December 10,
1893, leaving a family of six children, viz: M. Flora, Fred L., Lulu E., Kaymond
J., Max V. and T. Walter. In polities, Mr. Graves is a Democrat. He is a member
o/Tioga Eiver Lodge, No. 797, 1. 0. 0. F., and of Tioga Tent, No. 176, K. 0. T. M.

Jeptha Hughes was bom ia DanvOle, Pennsylvania, where his father, Thomas
Hughes, settled before the Eevolution. On March 36, 1816, he purchased of John
Harrold, a tract of land in Lycoming county, on which he laid out the village of
Hughesburg, now the borough of Hughesville. He sold out his interests in July,
1820, to Daniel Harrold, and removed to Tioga county, locating finally at Beecher's
Island, where he remained until April 12, 1838, when he settled at Mitchell's
Creek, in Tioga township. Here he passed the remainder of his life. While a
resident of Lycoming county, Mr. Hughes married Betsey Hill, to which union
were born eight children, three in Lycoming and five in Tioga county, as follows:
Rachel, who married Charles Button; Sailie, wife of James Dewey; Frederick, a
resident of Tioga township; Polly, widow of John VanWey; Betsey, who married
Charles Gray; Eebecca, who married David Cunningham; George, a resident of
Jackson township, and Catherine, who lives with her brother George.

Feedbeick Hughes, oldest son of Jeptha Hughes, was bom in Hughesville,
Lycoming county, November 13, 1820, and came with his parents to Mitchell's
Creek in 1838. He remained with his parents on the homestead farm until he
was twenty-three years old, and thus assisted to rear and support his younger brothers
and sisters. He then worked out by the day for one year, and by prudence and
economy saved enough from his earnings to give him a start in life. He bought
130 acres of the Bingham estate, near the head of Mitchell's creek, containing some
improvements. With this as a beginning, he farmed in summer and followed lum-
bering ia winter, investing his earnings in land. By the exercise of good Judgment
he eventually acquired 1,600 acres lying along Mitchell's creek, thus becoming one
of the largest land owners and leading farmers in Tioga county. On June 17,
1847, Mr. Hughes married Harriet VanWey, a daughter of Henry and Betsey Yan
Wey, who bore him the following children: Henrietta, Benjamin, who died March 9,
1896; Betsey, wife of George Meeker; Phoebe, wife of Alonzo Gage; George A., of
Tioga township; Frank, a resident of Lavirrence township; Sim, Charles, John,
Hattie, who died in childhood; Frederick, a resident of Denver, Colorado, and
William E. Mr. Hughes has divided his land among his children, giving to each a
liberal amount of his large estate, retaining for himself only 100 acres surrounding
the family home at Mitchell's Creek.' In politics, he is an ardent Democrat, and
takes a deep iaterest in public affairs. He is recognized as one of the leading and
pubhc-spirited citizens of the township, of which he has been a resident for nearly
sixty years.

Geoege a. Hughes, oldest living son of Frederick Hughes, was born in Tioga
township, Tioga county, June 28, 1853. He was reared on the homestead farm
and remained with his parents until his twenty-second year. In 1875 he rented
a farm from his father, which he cultivated up to 1887, and then purchased the
old Peter Guernsey farm of 103 acres, on the Tioga river, one mile south of the
borough of Tioga, upon which he still lives. Mr. Hughes was married October



1014 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

7, 1890, to Euby Smith, a daughter of Garrett and Abigail Smith, and has three
children: George, Thomas and Alfred. Mrs. Hughes' parents are residents of
Jackson township. In politics, Mr. Hughes is a Democrat, and is one of the pros-
perous and progressive farmers of Tioga.

C. F. MiLLEE was bom in Big Flats, Chemung county, New York, July 13,
1825, a son of John S. and Euth (Larison) Miller. His father was a native of
New Jersey, and his mother of Connecticut. They were the parents of nine chil-
dren, as follows: Horace D. and J. Foster, both deceased; Maria, wife of Austin
Eeeder, of Big Flats; Enoch Ward, deceased; C. F., of Tioga township; De-
borah, a resident of Elmira; John A., deceased; Orpha, and Hester, wife of John
Campbell, of Chemung county. Mr. Miller was reared on a farm, and when thir-
teen years old began to earn his own living, working out as a farm hand. In the
fall of 1844 he came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and located on the Major Bent-
ley farm, in Tioga township, purchasing 100 acres of it, to which he added 200 acres
more in 1883. Mr. Miller was married in 1847, to Mary D. Lawrence, a
daughter of Minard and Clarissa (Mix) Lawrence, which union has been blessed
by five children, viz: Charles L., of "Wellsboro; Frank S., a resident of Eau Claire,
"Wisconsin; Waldo W., a resident of Wellsboro; Simeon P., who lives at home, and
Thomas M., who died in childhood. Mr. Miller has one of the finest and best im-
proved farms in the township, and the family residence is a substantial and hand-
some structure, built with a view to making it a cheerful, homelike abode. In
politics, Mr. Miller is an ardent Eepublican, and a prominent member of his party
in Tioga county. He served as one of the county commissioners from 1862 to
1865, when he was elected county treasurer and filled that office one term. He has
also served as supervisor, assessor and school director in his township. He is a
member of Tioga Eiver Lodge, No. 797, I. 0. 0. F. In religion, the family are
Presbyterians, and liberal supporters of the church. Mr. Miller is not only a suc-
cessful and progressive farmer, but is recognized as a popular and public-spirited
citizen, who gives his support to every worthy project.

Michael Hickey was bom in Middle Swanzey, Cheshire county New Hamp-
shire, May 25, 1850, and is the only child of Charles and Mary (Hogan) Hickey.
His parents were natives of County Clare, Ireland, and immigrated to New Hamp-
shire in 1844. In 1850 they removed to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and settled
in Tioga township, where his father found employment with Joseph Aiken. His
mother died in December, 1851, and his father was again married to Ellen Mc-
Namara. Michael was reared in Tioga township, and in early manhood began
work on the railroads, which he has pursued in connection with farming up to the
present. He has been section boss for the Erie company at Mitchell's Creek for
twenty-nine years, and is one of the oldest and most faithful employes of the
company. In 1877 he purchased sixty acres of land half a mile east of Mitchell's
Creek, to which he has added at different times until he now owns a well-improved
farm of 320 acres, which is managed for him by his oldest son, Charles D. Mr.
Hickey was married December 19, 1869, to Mary McCarty, of Caton, Steuben county,
New York. Seven children have blessed this union, named as follows: Charles D.,
Michael, James, Mary C, Anna, Margaret and Theresa. The family are members
of the Catholic church, and in politics, stanch adherents of the Democratic party.



BIOGBAPHICAl SKETCHES. IQIS



Mr. Hickey^s father makes his home with him. Although a man who has had to
make his way in the world by hard work, Mr. Hickey has found time by hberal
reading to keep well abreast of the progress of the age, and is one of the intelligent
and well informed citizens of the township.

C. W. Loveless was bom in Saratoga county, New York, and there married
Leafy Graham, a native of the same county. In 1854 they came to Tioga county,
Pennsylvania, and settled on Mill creek, in Tioga township, a mile above the present
home of his son, C. 0. Here he followed lumbering until 1884, when he sold out
to his son, C. 0., and went to South Dakota, where he died March 32, 1894, aged
sixty-five years. His widow makes her home with her children in Tioga county.
The following named children were bom to Mr. and Mrs. Loveless: C. 0., of Tioga
township; William and Frank, residents of Potter county, South Dakota; Fannie,
wife of Frank Woodward, of Wysox, Bradford county, and Leafy, wife of William
Archer, of Tioga township.

C. 0. Loveless was bom in Saratoga county, New York, December 7, 1850,
and was in his fourth year when his parents, C. W. and Leafy Loveless, came to
Tioga county. He was reared on the homestead in Tioga township, attended the
district schools in boyhood, and has made farming and lumbering his life vocation.
In 1884 he bought out his father, and now owns a well improved property of 413
acres, a part of which is timber land. On December 30, 1871, Mr. Loveless mar-
ried Harriet VanNess, a daughter of Peter V. and Celia VanNess, who has borne
him five children, viz: Harry, Edith, Fred, Mark and Ella. Mrs. Loveless' parents
are residents of Mansfield. In politics, Mr. Loveless is a Eepubliean, and has
served as supervisor and school director. Both he and wife are members of the
Methodist Episcopal church of Tioga, and he is also connected with Tioga Eiver
Lodge, No. 797, I. 0. 0. F. Mr. Loveless is a successful fanner, and a man of in-
tegrity, enterprise and public spirit.

Jehemiah Millee was born in Claverick, New York, December 19, 1783, and
married Sally Campbell, May 17, 1808. She was a native of Nobletown, New York,
bom January 16, 1787, and was of Scotch ancestry, while her husband was of Ger-
man descent. Mr. Miller was an early settler of Bradford county, Pennsylvania,
where he followed farming until 1854, in which year he moved to Tioga county
and settled .on Mann hill, in Lawrence township. He died in Illinois, October 1,
1859, while on a visit to relatives. His wife died in Tioga, October 3, 1863.

Cephas C. Millee was bom in Smithfield, Bradford county, August 17, 1817,
a son of Jeremiah Miller, and removed to Lawrence township, Tioga county, in
1854. He remained in that township nine years, and then located in Tioga bor-
ough. In 1874 he returned to Lawrence, remaining there until December, 1880,
when he settled on the farm on Mill creek, in Tioga township, now owned by his
son, Charles L., where he has since lived. Mr. Miller was married December 20,
1846, to Lucia D. Kelley, a daughter of Lewis and Matilda Kelley, of Bradford
county, and has four children, viz: Mary, wife of John L. Inseho, of Tioga; Flora,
wife of Arthur Tilden, of Waverly, New York; Charles L., of Tioga township, and
Eatie, wife of George Castle, of Elmira.

Chaeles L. Millee, only son of Cephas C. Miller, and grandson of Jeremiah
Miller, was bom in Lawrence township, Tioga county, March 10, 1856. He ob-



1016 HISTOKT OP TIOGA COUNTY.

tained a common school education and was reared a farmer. On March. 35, 1885,
he married Mbjj T. Kimball, a daughter of Dayton C. Kimball, of Mitchell's Creek,
and has two children, Harry Eay and Flora May. In politics, Mr. Miller is a EepubU-
can, and in religion the whole family are members of the Baptist church. He haa
served as township auditor for three years, and is an enterprising and progressive
citizen.

Jacob H. Westbkooe;, son of Solomon and Elizabeth Westbrook, was bom in



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 138 of 163)