Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 139 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 139 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Middlebury township, Tioga county, October 1, 1832. He was reared on his father's
farm, and received a common school education. On October 12, 1859, he married
Mary Angle Button, a daughter of Dean and Sallie (Stevens) Dntton. She was
bom on the farm where they now reside, October 12, 1841. Her parents were
natives of Vermont and early settlers of Tioga township. Her father died April
27, 1871, aged sixty-two years, and her mother in November, 1883, aged eighty
years. Three children have been bom to Mr. and Mrs. Westbrook, as follows:
Elroy, a resident of Olean, New York; Walter, who lives in Blmira, and Anna,
wife of George L. Strait, of Mansfield. In polities, Mr. Westbrook is a Republican.
He is one of the successful farmers of the county, and is the owner of a well-
improved farm of nearly 300 acres.

John G. Kbntch was bom in Meissen, Saxony, Germany, there grew to man-
hood and married Sophia Stanoel, to which union were bom the following children:
Morris S., Pauline, Julius, a resident of Silver Bow, Montana; Otto, a resident
of Blossburg; Hulda, wife of Frederick Coster, of New York; Mary, wife of Joseph
Poggendorf, of Tioga township; Francis and Thomas, both deceased, and John G.,
a resident of Tioga tovraship. The oldest son, Morris S., came to Tioga, Pennsyl-
vania, in 1850, and in 1854 his father and other members of the family followed.
Mr. Kentch died September 28, 1854, a few days after his arrival in Tioga, aged
sixty-four years. His wife died in November, 1887, at the ripe old age of eighty-
seven.

MoEEis S. KentcHj oldest son of John G. Kentch, was bom in Meissen, Saxony,
Germany, June 24, 1827, grew to manhood in his native land, and in March, 1850,
married Caroline Matte. They immigrated the same year to Pennsylvania, and
settled in Tioga township, Tioga county, where four children were bom to them,
viz: Oakley, a resident of Farmington; Amanda, wife of Edward Sticklin, of Wells-
boro; James, a resident of the same place, and Ellen, wife of Frederick Sticklin,
of Fall Brook. Mrs. Kentch died on November 7, 1874, and October 7, 1876, he
married Laura Clarke, a daughter of Septimus Clarke, of Chatham township. She
died September 11, 1880, aged thirty-six years. He was again married November
19, 1884, to Mary Hussey, a native of England and a daughter of William and Eliza-
beth Hussey. She was bom January 20, 1832, and died March 5, 1897. Mr.
Kentch enlisted October 16, 1861, in Company D, Fifty-seventh Pennsylvania Vol-
unteers, and participated in the Peninsular Campaign, the battle of Fair Oaks, and
the Seven Days' Fight before Eiehmond, in all of which he proved himself a brave
and patriotic soldier. While on duty at Hampton Eoads as brigade butcher, he
met with an accident which resulted in crushing and permanently crippling his
right leg. He also received a gunshot wound in the right index finger, necessitating
its amputation. His brother Thomas served in Company K, of the same regiment.



BIOGKAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1017



In politics, Mr. Kentch is an ardent Eepublican, and in religion, an adherent of
the Lutheran faith. He is a member of Etz Post, No. 401, G. A. E., and also of
Tioga EiTer Lodge, No. 797, 1. 0. 0. P.

Joseph Poggendokf, a son of Samuel and Mary Poggendorf, was bom and
reared in Prussia, Germany, where his parents lived and died. He came to the
United States in 1862, and settled in Tioga, Pennsylvania. In 1867 he purchased
his present place of twelve acres, one mile west of the borough. The same year he
married Mary Kentch, a daughter of John G. and Sophia (Stanoel) Kentch, natives
of Saxony, Germany. To this union have been bom the following children: John,
a resident of Tioga borough; Lisa, Lena and William, who live with their parents.
Mr. Poggendorf is a Eepublican, in politics, and in religion, is a member of the
Lutheran church. His only brother, William, is a resident of Eochester, New
York. Mr. Poggendorf is an intelligent, public-spirited citizen, and enjoys the
respect and esteem of all who know him. He has lived a quiet, unassuming and
industrious life, and by prudence and economy has accumulated a valuable property.

EiCHAED Hetfield was born in Southport, Chemung county. New York, in
1793. His father, who was bom in 1766, was one of the first settlers of Southport.
Eichard was a farmer and hotel-keeper, and conducted the Summit Hotel, between
Horseheads and Elmira for fifty-eight years. His wife, Susan, was born in 1805,
and was the mother of the following children: William D., who died in 1864;
Charles, who served in the Eighty-sixth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and is now a
clerk in the postoffice department, Washington, D. C; Abner, who died May 3, 1858,
aged fifteen years, and Thomas G., of Tioga. Mr. Hatfield died April 31, 1870, and
his wife, September 2, 1883.

Thomas G. Hetfield, youngest son of Eiehard Hetfield, was bom in South-
port, New York, November 31, 1847. He was reared upon the homestead farm,
and before arriving at manhood learned the cigarmaker's trade. In 1870 he em-
barked in the manufacture of cigars at Horseheads, which business he carried on
there and in Elmira imtil 1880, when he came to Tioga, Pennsylvania, and was
employed in the factory of Yoorhes, Aiken & Company, until its removal to Mans-
field, where he worked at his trade until 1888. He then returned to Tioga and
established a cigar factory on the Wellsboro road, a short distance west of Tioga
borough. His factory and residence were destroyed by fire on September 15, 1893.
After the fire he resumed business in Tioga borough, remaining there until April,
1895, when he returned to his former location, having rebuilt both factory and
residence. Mr. Hetfield was married in May, 1866, to Lucy DeLapp, a daughter of
Hiram DeLapp. She died on October 31, 1887. In politics, Mr. Hetfield is a
Democrat. He devotes his attention to the manufacture of special brands of cigars,
such as ''Hetfield's Best," "T. G. H.," and "Gilt Edge." He is a popular business
man and citizen, and enjoys the respect of the community.

WiLLAED Eedstee, a SOU of William and Mary J. (Kennedy) Eedner, was bom
in Steuben county. New York, November 20, 1856. His parents were natives of
Tompkins county, and his paternal grandfather, of Orange county. New York.
His mother died Maich 35, 1893, aged sixty-nine years. His father died February
30, 1896, aged seventy-two years. Seven children were bom to William and Mary
J. Eedner, as follows: Adeline, wife of Charles Eobb, of Athens, Bradford county;



1018 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Simeon, a resident of the same place; Willard, of Tioga township; Willis, who lives
in Tioga township; Frank, a resident of Tioga; Florence, wife of George Fams-
worth, of Big Flats, New York, and George, who resides in Harrison Valley, Pemi-
sylvajiia. Before coming to Tioga county Mr. Eedner resided in Tompkins and
Cameron counties, New York, Ashtabula county, Ohio, and Big Flats, Chemung
county. New York. In 1880 he remoTed from the latter place to Tioga township,
Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and located on the H. W. Caulking farm, subsequently
removed to Chatham township, and later bought his present farm of 148 acres, in
the western part of Tioga township, formerly known as the H. H. Goodrich farm.
Mr. Eedner married Mrs. Sophia Kennedy, nee White, December 9, 1879, and has
five children: Frank, Henry, Ira, who died November 11, 1895, aged eleven years;
Vera, and Stanley, who died July 19, 1896, aged fifteen months. In politics, he
is a Eepublican, and has filled the office of constable. He is a member of the
Presbyterian church, also of Tioga Eiver Lodge, No. 797, I. 0. 0. F., and is one
of the prosperous and successful farmers of the township.

D. W. Htted was born in Caton, Steuben county. New York, August 2, 1849,
and is the only child of Charles and Jane (Harrison) Hurd. His parents were
natives of the same county, and his father died there in 1851. His mother resides
with our subject. Mr. Hurd learned the trade of stationary engineer in his youth,
which he followed in Steuben county up to 1870, when he went to Kane county,
Illinois, where he was engaged in farming eight years. Eetuming east, he located
on a farm in Lawrence township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, upon which he lived
until 1881, and then purchased his present farm of ninety acres in Tioga township.
Mr. Hurd was married to Mary Colder, a daughter of Hiram and Sarah Colder,
of Lindley, Steuben county, New York, December 36, 1869, and has four children:
Jennie, Harry, Harriet and Walter. Mrs. Hurd's father died July 28, 1891, aged
fifty-nine years; her mother lives in Lindley, New York. Her brother, James,
is also a resident of Lindley, while her sister, Kate, is the wife of William Ter-
williger, of Caton, New York. In politics, Mr. Hurd is a Eepublican, and has been
township supervisor for the past three years. He has made his way in life through
his own unaided efl'orts, and is a man of honest, upright character.

John A. Behgh was bom in Sweden, in 1845, a son of Andrew Olson and
Christina Bergh. He immigrated to Pennsylvania in 1873 and settled at Fall Brook,
Tioga county, where he followed the occupation of a coal miner until 1885. He
then rented a farm on the Cowanesque river, which he cultivated up to April, 1890,
in which year he leased the old H. W. Caulking place, containing %81 acres, in the
western part of Tioga township. This he conducted successfully until 1896, when
he removed to Elkland. Mr. Bergh was mamed October 24, 1875, to Augusta
Dyring, a native of Sweden, who is the mother of six children, as follows: Mary,
Alvira, Emelia, Helga, John and Corra. Mr. Bergh is a stanch Eepublican, and in
religion, a Lutheran. He is a member of Arbon Lodge, No. 489, 1. 0. 0. F., and En-
campment No. 153, of Blossburg, and is also connected with the K. of P. lodge, in
Amot.

Joseph Beegh was bom in Sweden, in 1858, a son of Andrew Olsen and Chris-
tina (Torstens) Bergh. He was reared in his native land, and came to Pennsylvania
in 1881, where he found employment for two years in the coal mines at Amot, Tioga



BIOQEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1019



county. He then went to Elkland township and worked on a farm three years;
next rented a farm near Osceola, on which he remained until he came to Tioga town-
ship, in 1893. He rented the T. J. Berry farm of 300 acres, in the northern part of
the horongh of Tioga, which he has since managed with success, and now ranks
among the intelligent and progTessive farmers of the township. He devotes his
efforts to dairying and the growing of grain and tobacco, and is enjoying the pros-
perity due to persistent and well-directed industry. Mr. Bergh was married Sep-
tember 15, 1883, to Anna Mangnuson, a native of Sweden, to which union have
been born the following children: Charles J., Jennie C, Frank A., Oscar W. and
James Walter. In politics, Mr. Bergh is a Eepublican, and in religion, an adherent
of the Lutheran church. He is a member of Elkland Lodge, No. 800, I. 0. 0. F.,
and of Tioga Tent, No. 176, K. 0. T. M. His brother, John A., is a farmer at Elk-
land; Otto, another brother, lives in Tioga; while his sisters, Emma Sophia, widow
of Olaf Danielson; Caroline, wife of John Hanson, and Ida, wife of Alexander
Anderson, reside in Amot, Tioga county.

LAWEENCE TOWNSHIP AND LAWKENCETILLE.

*HoN. James Foed was born at Morristown, JSTew Jersey, March 4, 1783. This
branch of the Ford family came from Middlesex county, England, six miles from the
city of London, between the years 1636 and 1660. Eecords do not agree on this
point. They were of the gentry and bore arms. Much of the data obtained from old
records leads to the belief that Marshfield, Massachusetts, was their first place of
settlement in America. Four brothers, Charles, William, Oswald and Samuel, went
from Massachusetts to New Jersey, settling in Piscataway, Woodbridge and Morris-
town. Charles, the ancestral grandfather of James Ford, married Meribah Thorn-
well, to which union were bom nine children. The third, Benjamin Ford, married
Jemima Walker, a daughter of Hon. Thomas Walker, son of Capt. Samuel Walker,
who was a member of His Majesty's Council under Lord Cornberry, governor of
East and West Jersey and New York. Captain Walker was named for governor
just before the Eevolutionary War broke out. The Walker family and Benjamin
Ford were Tories, and refusing to take the oath of allegiance to the United States,
their property was confiscated and they were obliged to flee to New York City for
protection. Captain Walker died in that city and was buried in Old Trinity church-
yard. At an early age James Ford went with John P. Ryers, as clerk, to a little settle-
ment not far from Lawrenceville. About 1816 he purchased land on the Cowan-
esque river and built for himself a home, yet standing in Lawrenceville, where he
resided until his death. He named the new settlement "Lawrence," in honor of
Captain Lawrence of "Don't give u.p the Ship" fame. Old family letters show
that it was called Lawrence for many years. Mr. Ford was very successful in busi-
ness, a man of rare intelligence and advanced ideas, energetic, quick to see, reso-
lute to do and ready to venture on any new enterprise which promised success.
Nothing better was to be found in the settlement than the lumber and flour from
his mills which he shipped to southern markets. He took a prominent part in public
affairs, served two terms as a member of the state legislature, and two terms as
representative of this district in Congress during I^resident Jackson's administra-



* Contributed by Mrs. M. L. Beaumont.



1020 HISTOKT OF TIOGA COUNTY.

tiorij with wlioni he corresponded for a time. He was also a friend and corres-
pondent of James Buchanan. Mr. Ford married Maria Lindsley, a daughter of
Judge Eleazer and Eunice (Halsey) Lindsley, and grand-daughter of Col. Eleazer
Lindsley, who soon after the Eevolution purchased a tract of land six mUes square,
now Lindley township, Steuben county. New York. Colonel Lindsley's first visit
to this part of the country was with General Sulliyan on his march from the Wyom-
ing valley, the year after the Massacre, through to the lake country to punish the
Indians for their ravages and atrocities. Maria Lindsley was a direct descendant,
through Eunice (Halsey) Lindsley, of Lion Gardiner, Lord of the Isle of Wight, and
of Jeremiah Conkling, the ancestor of the Hon. Eoscoe Conkling. To James and
Maria Ford were bom the following children: Charles H. L., who married Eliza
Cruger, a daughter of General Cruger; Mary L., who married Milton P. Orton, M.
D.; Emily C, who married Eev. George E. H. Shumway, and Susan Eliza, who
married Col. Charles Dorranee, of Wilkes-Barre, a grandson of Col. George Dor-
rance, who fell in defense of home and country at the Wyoming Massacre. Charles
Dorranee spent a long, useful and honorable life near the place where his heroic
grandfather was slain by the cruel savages. James Ford was a friend to the poor and
rich alike, and a man who never spoke ill of any one or allowed others to do so in
his presence. He filled a prominent place in the early history of Tioga county,
and died at his home in Lawrenceville, in 1859. He was laid to rest in the family
burying ground, set apart by Colonel Lindsley for that purpose.

De. Simbon Powbe is one of the well-remembered pioneer physicians of Tioga
county, where he settled and began the practice of medicine more than ninety years
ago. He was bom in Guilford, Vermont, July 5, 1784. His parents were Manasseh
and Susannah (Paine) Power, the former a native of Lancaster, Massachusetts, and
the latter of Chatham, on Cape Cod. His father was a Teteran of the Eevolution.
Dr. Power came on horseback to this county in 1805, arriving at Samuel Miller's,
at what is now Millerton, in the evening. He intended to remain there over night,
but finding what he thought to be a rough gathering he rode on through the dark
forest, made hideous by the howling of wild animals, and finally arrived near day-
break at the home of Ira Kilbum, who lived on the site of what is now the borough
of Lawrenceville. Here Dr. Power decided to "hang out his shingle," but after a
short stay he removed to Knoxville and from there to Tioga — ^then the principal
village in the county. While in Tioga he was married to Polly Inscho, February
2, 1809, a daughter of Obadiah Inscho, who settled on the Cowanesque river in 1798.
She was bom in Northampton county, Pennsylvania, September 38, 1788, and was
about ten years old when her parents came to Tioga county. In 1831 Dr. Power
returned to Lawrenceville, where he continued in the active duties of his profession
during the remainder of his life. He first purchased a small tract of land within the
village limits. This he sold and then bought a farm near the western limits of the
town, and built the "Eed House" on Cowanesque street, now one of the old land-
marks of Lavrrenceville. Dr. Power and wife reared seven children, viz: Mary, who
married Samuel Eyon; Susan, who married Frederick Thnrber; Judith, who
became the wife of George Thurber; Simeon L, who was elected sheriff of Tioga
county in 1858 and died at Lawrenceville; Dyer, a resident of that borough; Caro-
line, now residing in Lawrenceville, who married George Prutsman, of Tioga, and



BIOGEAPHIOAL SKETCHES. 1021



after his death Enoch Blaekwell, of Nelson; and Samantha, who lives in Corning.
The four oldest children are dead. Dr. Power was a prominent factor in the early
political history of the county. In 1815. he was elected the second sheriff of Tioga,
which ofBce he filled three years, and in 1851 he was chosen an associate
judge and sat upon the bench the full term of five years. An ardent Democrat
up to the war, he gave a loyal support to the Union cause, but gradually drifted
into the Kepublican party. He died at his home in Lawrenceville, December 19,
1863. His wife survived him until March 14, 1868, both dying in the eightieth
year of their age. They sleep side by side in the Power Cemetery, which was laid
out on their farm. During the early years of his professional labors. Dr. Power's
practice extended over a vast territory — ^westward up the Cowanesque into Potter
county; south as far as Williamsport, and northward to Addison, Painted Post and
Bath. A man of fine education, a good physician, and always kind and charitable
to suffering humanity, his memory is revered by his descendants and the people
of the community in which he spent the greater portion of his life.

John Eton, Sb., was b&rn on the Atlantic Ocean, March 10, 1748, while his
parents were en route to New York. His father. Sir Anthony Ryon, was a native
of Ireland, and died soon after coming to America. John grew to maturity in New
York, whence he removed to the Wyoming valley, in Pennsylvania, prior to the
Eevolutionary War. Here he married Sarah Goodale, a native of Long Island, and
settled near Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. He was a veteran of the Revolution, in
which he served nearly six years. His name appears on the rolls as a private in
Capt. Thaddeus Weed's Company (formerly Capt. Solomon Strong's Company),
Fifth Connecticut regiment, commanded by Col. Philip D. Bradley, from July,
1777, to December, 1780, with the remark, "Enlisted October 20th, for during the
war." In 1779 he was with Sullivan's expedition against the Indians of the lake
country. The records also show that he served as a sergeant in the Fifth Company
(formerly Capt. Thaddeus Weed's), Second Connecticut regiment, commanded by
Col. Heman Swift, from March, 1781, to April, 1783. During a portion of his
services he was employed in the commissary department. New York City, superin-
tending the manufacturing of clothing for the ajrmy. He was subsequently pen-
sioned by the state of Connecticut for his services in the Revolutionary War.
While stationed in New York he was visited by his wife, who rode the whole distance
from Wilkes-Barre on horseback, carrying her infant son, Benjamin, in her arms,
and leaving her son, William, with friends in the Wyoming valley. Though the
route was infested with hostile Indians, the brave wife returned to her home in
safety, but both she and Benjamin died soon after from smallpox, contracted during
the trip. After the war closed Mr. Ryon returned to the Wyoming valley, where he
found his son, William, alive but sadly neglected. When William grew up he
married Miss Marcy, a cousin of Governor Marcy, of New York, settled in Wayne
county, Pennsylvania, and there died. Mr. Eyon's second wife was the widow of
Captain Inman, who was killed in the Wyoming Massacre. Two sons, James and
John, and a daughter, Betsey, were bom of this union. A few years after his
marriage to Mrs. Inman, Mr. Ryon- removed with his family to Southport, New
York, and later to Newtown, now a part of Elmira, where his wife and daughter died.
In the spring of 1811 his sons removed with a colony of settlers to the Cowanesque



1022 HISTORY OF TIOGA COUNTY.



valley, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and settled on the site of Elkland, where the
father joined them later. He served as postmaster at that place, then called Kyons-
ville, from 1833 to 1830, and died January. 20, 1833. His son, James, subsequently
removed to Illinois, while John remained in this county and became one of its most
distinguished citizens.

Judge John Eyon, son of John Eyon, Sr., was bom in the Wyoming valley,
near Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, January 1, 1787. He came with the colony to the
site of Elkland, Tioga county, in March, 1811, but did not bring his family until
the following month. Here he cleared a large farm, engaged in merchandising, and
followed the mercantile and farming occupations for many years. About 1848 he
removed to Lawrenceville and purchased the present Eyon homestead, known as
"The Elms," where he carried on the mercantile business and spent the remainder
of his life. Judge Eyon was a self-made man, a politician of considerable note,
and one of the leading Democrats of Tioga county. In 1816 he was elected a justice
of the peace, in which capacity he served for many years. In 1819 he was elected
a county commissioner. He represented this district three terms in the legislature,
1831, 1833 and 1833, and was state senator in 1824-35. In 1839 he was appointed
superintendent of the West Branch division of the Pennsylvania canal, which
position he filled with ability and honor. On January 29, 1833, he was appointed
an associate judge of Tioga county, and served on the bench continuously up to
March, 1847. He also held several military positions in the militia, the highest
being that of lieutenant colonel. Judge Eyon was a kind, courteous, Christian man,
and an active worker in the Presbyterian church. A few years prior to his removal
to the Cowanesque valley, he married Susannah Tubbs, a daughter of Samuel Tubbs,
a pioneer of the Cowanesque. She was bom in Newtown, now a part of Elmira, New
York, and became the mother of twelve children, as follows: Sally, who married
Col. Philip Taylor, of Elkland, and died in Osceola, March 1, 1896; Samuel, a
deceased farmer of Lawrence township; George L., who died in the same township,
April 3, 1897; Emily, widow of Dr. E. D. Benedict, of Westfield; Harris T., of
Nelson; Harriet, deceased wife of Joseph Barker, of Chicago; Charles and Mary,
both deceased; John W., a lawyer and ex-congressman of Pottsville; Eobert T.,
a resident of Columbia, Pennsylvahia; James, an ex-judge of Schuylkill county,
now living in Pottsville, and Wallace P., who resides in the old homestead at Law-
renceville. Judge Eyon died at his home in Lawrenceville, July 33, 1859. His
widow survived him nearly twenty-two years, dying March 5, 1881. He was one of
the most prominent and successful men in northern Pennsylvania, and a leader in
the Democratic party throughout his long and active career. His public and private
life was ever governed by the Eyon family motto — "Death before Dishonor."

Samuel Eyon, eldest son of Judge John Eyon, was bom in what is now Elmira,
New York, March 10, 1811, and was reared in Elkland, Tioga county, Pennsylvania,
where he assisted his father in clearing off the forest then covering the site of that
borough. In 1833 he and his brother, George L., opened a store in Elkland, which
they carried on up to 1843. On January 27, 1833, he married Mary Power, a daugh-
ter of Dr. Simeon Power, a pioneer physician of the Cowanesque valley. Three
children, Alexander H., Simeon P. and Norman H., grew to maturity from this
union, the last being the only survivor of the family. Simeon P. represented



BIOGBAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1023



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 139 of 163)