Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 140 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 140 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Columbia county, Pennsylvania, in the legislature, and died during his term, April
12, 1876. Samuel Eyon possessed a good education, was a fine mathematician, and
served as assistant ciyil engineer on the Pennsylvania canal while his father was a
member of the legislature. He was extensively engaged in farming and lumbering
on the Cowanesque, near Lawrenceville, whither he removed from Elkland, and
also operated a grist and woolen-mill at the same place for many years. Politically,
a life-long Democrat, he was appointed postmaster of Kyonsville, now Elkland,
April 24, 1834, by William T. Barry, postmaster general under President Jackson,
and served a full term. Mr. Eyon spent the latter years of his life in Lawrenceville,
where he died April 36, 1877. His wife died August 13, 1876. She was a member
of the Methodist Episcopal church, while he adhered to the Presbyterian faith.

GrEOEGE L. Rton, sccond son of Judge John Ryon, was born in Elkland, Tioga
county, June 28, 1813. He was educated principally in the common schools at Elk-
land, but finished his education by attending school at Harrisburg. When nineteen
years of age he commenced business as a merchant in partnership with his older
brother, Samuel, at Elkland, where they carried on business for eleven years. In
1838 he succeeded his brother, Samuel, as postmaster at Elkland. In connection
with merchandising they carried on lumbering quite extensively. By the flood of
1843 they lost heavily, and were compelled to give up the lumber business. Mr.
Eyon then turned his attention to farming, and cultivated the old homestead at
Elkland for two years, at the end of which time he purchased an interest in a large
tract of land near Elkland, and began the work of clearing and improving it. He
was a noted pilot, knowing every part of the water from this county down the
Cowanesque, Tioga, Chemung and Susquehanna rivers to Port Deposit, Maryland,
a matter of importance in early days, as much depended on the skill and knowledge
of the pilot in charge of the immense rafts that were staxted from this county to tide-
water. Mr. Ryon was a captain in the State Militia, and for many years a prominent
figure at the "trainings," as they were then called. He commanded the Elkland
Guards, and one of his grandsons is now in possession of the sword presented to him,
which was at that time said to be one of the handsomest in the State. He was also a
noted rifle shot, and in his more youthful days was a keen sportsman. In 1849 he
sold out his interests at Elkland and purchased his late homestead farm near Law-
renceville, upon which he resided until his death, April 3, 1897, in the eighty-
fourth year of his age. In 1836 he married Hannah Hammond, a daughter of David
Hammond, of Elkland, who bore him a family of thirteen children, five of whom
died in early infancy. The remaining eight are named as follows: Ellen 0., who
married W. T. Rhodes, of Tioga, and died April 2, 1890; George W., a prominent
lawyer and banker of Shamokin; Alvin P., an attorney of Lock Haven; Majy M.,
wife of H. L. Fitch, of New Hampton, Iowa; John A., a jeweler of Charles City,
Iowa; Alice H., wife of Clark S. Ingraham, a druggist of Elmira, 'New York; Wil-
liam W., a lawyer of Shamokin, and David H., a farmer of Lawrence township.
Mrs. Ryon died at the old homestead June 9, 1888, after a happy married life of
more than half a century. Mr. Eyon and wife were members of the Presbyterian
church, in which he filled the office of trustee for many years. In politics he was
aa ardent supporter of the Democratic party, and always took a commendable in-
terest in public afPairs, filling acceptably for many years the ofiice of school director



X024 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

and other official positions. He was one of the most respected citizens of Tioga
county, in which his entire life was passed. In private life he was a dignified, un-
obtrnsive gentleman, very sociable and hospitable in his disposition, and when death
called him at the close of a busy and useful life, he left a record of a long and
honorable career as a valuable inheritance and example for his children.

Harris T. Eyon, third son of Judge John Kyon, was bom in Elkland, Tioga
county, January 9, 1816, and there grew to manhood. He then engaged in the mer-
cantile business at Elkland for two years, and later embarked in farming in Nelson
township, clearing a part of the farm now owned by Shaw and Tubbs. In 1849 he
located at Lawrenceville, where he was engaged in general merchandising eight
years. Eetuming to Nelson in 1861, he resumed agriculture, and has cleared and
improved most of the farm of eighty acres he now occupies. Mr. Ryon has been
twice married. In 1837 he married Hannah M., a daughter of George and Mary
(Champlin) Congdon, of Steuben county. New York. She bore him two children
who grew to maturity, viz: Alzadia, and Sarah A., wife of R. C. Bailey. Mrs. Ryon
died in 1842, and the following year he married Elizabeth Sherwood, a daughter
of John and Lucy Sherwood, of Orleans county. New York. Two children have
been bom to this union: John S., a lawyer of Elkland, and Emma A., wife of John
D. James. Mr. Ryon is a member of the Presbyterian church, in politics, a Repub-
lican, and is one of the representative farmers of Nelson township. He has lived
in the Cowanesque valley more than eighty years.

Wallace Pulaski Ryon was bom in Elkland, Tioga county, July 18, 1836,
and is the youngest child of Judge John Ryon. He was educated in the Lawrenceville
Academy, at Lawrenceville, in Lima College, at Lima, New York, and in Dickinson
Seminary, at Williamsport, and also studied under the private tutorship of Rev.
Sidney Mills. He read law with Hon. John "W. Ryon, now a resident of Pottsville,
and was admitted to the bar of Tioga county, at Wellsboro, in 1861. He next clerked
for his brother, John W., who was a paymaster in the Pennsylvania Reserve Corps,
and in the spring of 1863 located at Tamaqua, Pennsylvania, for the practice of his
profession, remaining there one year. He then removed to Pottsville with his
brother, John W., where he followed his profession up to 1879. From 1869 to 1873
he was also cashier of the Pennsylvania National Bank, of Pottsville, and in 1873
was president of the Merchant's Exchange Bank of that place. In 1879 he removed
to Philadelphia, where he was connected with the coal and iron business up to 1883,
in which year he returned to the old homestead in Lawrenceville. He has since
devoted himself to farming and the practice of his profession. Like his father, Mr.
Ryon was a Democrat, and for many years gave his active support to that party.
He was connected with the secret service of the postal department during President
Cleveland's first administration, and was appointed by Postmaster-General Vilas,
president of a commission composed of postal experts to investigate the public
service in the first and second-class postoffices in the United States, and to formu-
late a uniform system of classification and compensation therein. Mr. Ryon was
married at Tamaqua, Pennsylvania, October 8, 1863, to Mary S. Rice, a daughter
of Edward L. Rice, of Wilmington, Delaware. Mrs. Ryon comes of a family distin-
guished in the early annals of the Colonies. On her father's side she is a descendant
of Don Eduardo Eeice, a Spanish refugee who settled at what is now Eastport, Maine,



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1025



and whose descendants afterwards settled in Massachusetts, Delaware and Ohio.
The Delaware branch of the family is well known in the early history of the settle-
ments on the Delaware ri\-er. Her great-great-grandfather, Evan Eice, was judge
of the courts from 1756 to 1777, and her grandfather, Washington Eice, was one of
the early business men of Wilmington, being an importer of teas, coffees and spices.
Her father, Edward L. Eice, succeeded his father in business, and after an honorable
and successful career of twenty-five years, retired. He was bom in Wilmington,
January 2, 1811, and was one of Delaware's most prominent and respected citizens.
During the Eebellion he gave largely to the Union cause. In politics, he was origin-
ally a Whig, but later a Eepublican. He was twice tendered the nomination for
governor of his State, but refused to accept the honor. An enthusiastic sportsman,
he was known by the appellation of the "Nimrod of Delaware." He died November
21, 1891, after a long life of honor and usefulness. On her mother's side, Mrs. Eyon
comes from the sturdy Swedish stock that first settled in Delaware. The old Colonial
records give the Naff family prominence in the affairs of the Colony at Wilmington.
Several of her Swedish ancestors were Eevolutionary soldiers, serving principally
in Washington's army. Six children have been bom to Wallace P. and Mary S.
Eyon, viz: Edward Anderson, Estella Eice, Wallace Herbert, James Percy, John
Naff, deceased, and Mary Edith Louise. The family are members of the Protestant
Episcopal church, of Lawrenceville, in which Mr. Eyon is junior warden.

HiHAM Beebe was born in Canaan, Litchfield county, Connecticut, there grew
to maturity, and then came to Owego, New York, where he and a man named HoUa-
bert carried on a store for two or three years. In 1815 they came to Lawrenceville,
and opened the first store in the village, on the south comer of Cowanesque and
Main streets, under the firm name of Beebe & Hollabert. The latter remained only
a few years, but Mr. Beebe continued the business until 1840, when he sold out and
formed a partnership with Hunt Pomeroy, and opened a store at Nelson, in which
he was interested ten years. Soon after coming to Lawrenceville, Mr. Beebe married
Margaret Allen, of Owego, who bore him two children, both of whom died in youth.
He was one of the most influential Democrats in Tioga county, and for that reason
was locally named "King Hiram." He was postmaster at Lawrenceville many years.
In 1822 he was elected a county commissioner, and again in 1826. In connection
with merchandising, he also carried on the lumber business quite extensively, and
was agent for the Bingham lands until Mr. Clymer succeeded him. Mr. Beebe and
wife both died prior to the Eebellion.

Anson Beebe, a brother of Hiram, came to Lawrenceville in 1817 and engaged
in the manufacture of gloves and mittens, which business he followed until his death,
in February, 1830. He married Lucy Lincoln, a native of Worcester, Massachusetts,
who bore him the following children: Edward, who died in infancy; Charles, of
Lawrenceville; Harriet, wife of Morgan Seely, of Osceola; Mariah, who married
Jacob Prutsman, of Tioga, and James, the last two of whom are dead. Mrs. Beebe
died in 1875.

Chaeles Beebe was bom in Lawrenceville, September 10, 1819, a son of Anson

and Lucy Beebe. At the age of twenty he began learning the wagon-maker's trade

with Charles Powers, whose business he purchased in the fall of 1840. He carried

on wagon-making at Lawrenceville imtil February, 1885, a period of nearly forty-

65



1026 HISTOKT OF TIOGA COUNTY.

five years, when he fell and broke his right hip, which compelled him to retire from
active work. On January 1, 1848, Mr. Beebe married Martha Dodd, of Spencer,
New York, and has one daughter, Mary C, wife of B. F. Madison, of Galeton,
Potter county. In politics, he is a Eepublican, and in religion, a Presbyterian. Mr.
Beebe is the oldest native born resident of Lawrenceville, and is regarded as one
of the best posted men on local history in the Cowanesque valley.

Dh. Lewis Daeling, Sh., one of the well-remembered pioneer physicians of
Tioga county, was bom in Woodstock, "Windsor county, Vermont, March 4, 1804,
a son of Seth and Chloe (Marsh) Darling, who were of Puritan stock. He was edu-
cated in the public schools and the Woodstock Academy, and at the age of twenty-
two graduated from Dartmouth University. Three years later, in 1839, he took
his degree of M. D., at the same institution, and soon afterwards started west, driving
from Vermont to Wellsboro, Pennsylvania, where he commenced the practice of his
profession the same year. In 1831 he removed to Lawrenceville, where he continued
in active practice for fifty-one years. In 1862 he was appointed surgeon of the One
Himdred and Sixty-first New York Volunteers, with the rank of major, and served
under General Banks in the department of the gulf, accompanying his regiment
through the famous Eed River Campaign. Owing to poor health he was finally
obliged to resign and return to his home, where he resumed practice. In 1871 he
was appointed examining surgeon for the pension department, a position he held
until his death, July 15, 1882. Dr. Darling was married October 17, 1831, to Lucy
M. Parsons, a daughter of Capt. Luke Parsons, a cavalry soldier in the War of 1812.
Eight children were bom to this union, named as follows: Otis G. and Louis, both
of whom died in infancy; Horace M., a resident of Southport, New York; Bostock
J. and Parsons L., both deceased; Lewis, a well-known physician of Lawrence-
ville; Thomas V., deceased, and Emeline G., who graduated at Hartford Female
College in 1865, and resides with her brother in Lawrenceville.

HoBACE M. Daeling, son of Dr. Lewis Darling, Sr., was bom Febmary 2, 1835,
was educated at Hobart College, graduated in medicine from the University of
Michigan, and began the practice of his profession at Painted Post, New York, in
1858. One year later he removed to Helena, Arkansas, where he practiced his pro-
fession until the breaking out of the Rebellion, when he was appointed surgeon of
the First Arkansas regiment, and served through the entire war. After its close he
located at Columbus, Mississippi, and continued in practice for a time, when owing
to failing health he gave up his professional duties and again entered the University
of Michigan, taking a full law course, and graduating with the degree of LL.B.
He then located at Mahanoy City, Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania, where he became
prominent in the legal profession and filled the of&ce of district attorney. Here
he married Miss Mollie James, at whose death he gave up his legal practice and
spent two years in travel, at the end of which period he located at Southport, New
York, and again took up the practice of medicine. After a time he removed to
Coming, but two years later returned to Southport, where he now resides on a farm.
Here he was married a second time to Miss Mary Webb.

Paesons L. Daeling, son of Dr. Lewis Darling, Sr., was bom on January 5,
1839, was educated at Hobart College, and went to Helena, Arkansas, where he
became principal of the High School. At the breaking out of the war he en-



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1027



listed in the First Arkansas regiment, and was appointed commissary of subsistence,
with the rank of captain, and served as such through the war. He then went to
Columbus, Mississippi, and studied for the ministry of the Protestant Episcopal
church, but giving up his studies he removed to Kansas City, where he died.

Dk. Lewis Dahling was bom in Lawrenceville, Tioga county, October 19,
1840, a son of Dr. Lewis Darling, Sr. 'He was educated in the Lawrenceville
Academy, and began the study of law with John "W. Kyon, but before his admission
to the bar he went west and clerked in a bank at Independence, Iowa, for one year.
He then returned to Lawrenceville and began the study of medicine under his father,
and attended the Medical College of Georgetown, D. C, for one year. At the end
of this time he enlisted as assistant surgeon, and did hospital duty one year at Wash-
ington, when he was assigned to the western army and served in the hospitals at St.
Louis and Jefferson Barracks, Missouri. He was also surgeon of the transport. City
of Memphis, engaged in carrying sick and wounded from the seat of war. He
was at the surrender of Vicksburg, July 4, 1863, whence he returned to Jefferson
Barracks, and was later assigned to the Army of the Cumberland and served in the
hospitals at Chattanooga and Knoxville during the winter of 1863-64. In the
spring of 1864 he was with the Army of the Ohio in the Georgia Campaign, and
at the battle of Peach Tree Creek was operating surgeon of the Twenty-third Army
Corps. He was next assigned to the hospitals at Franklin and Knoxville, Tennessee,
and later went to Marietta, Georgia, where he resigned from the army, and received
permission to go before the examining board for an appointment as surgeon in the
United States navy, and was first assigned to the Brooklyn navy yaj-d, where he
served as one of the board of examiners for recruits. He was next appointed surgeon
for the United States steamer Florida, but before going to sea, he was detailed and
returned to duty on the receiving ship North Carolina, then in the Brooklyn navy
yard. In March, 1865, he was detached from this position and ordered to report to
the South Atlantic Squadron, under the command of Admiral Dahlgren, and as-
signed to duty in the naval hospitals at Land's End, Island of St. Helena and Port
Eoyal harbor. After serving a short time in these hospitals, he was assigned as sur-
geon to the United States steamer Nahant, in which capacity he served until the
close of the war. Eetuming home he entered the University of Michigan, at Ann
Arbor, where he graduated in medicine in 1866. After taking a post-graduate
course, he went to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he practiced a few months, then returned
to Lawrenceville and became associated with his father in practice, which continued
until the death of the latter. He then succeeded his father as special pension ex-
aminer, a position he still holds. Dr. Darling is a member of the Pennsylvania State
Medical Society, the Elmira Academy of Medicine, the Coming Academy of Medi-
cine, the Tioga County Medical Association, and the Association of Railway Sur-
geons of the United States. He is a member of the F. & A. M., and the E. A. U.,
being medical examiner for the latter society. He is also medical examiner for
seventeen life insurance companies, and local surgeon for the Fall Brook Eailroad
Company. On January 1, 1867, Dr. Darling married Julia L. Day, a daughter of
Hon. C. E. Day, of Avon, Connecticut. Three sons have been born to this union,
Tiz: Arland L., who studied medicine under his father, graduated at the University



]^Q28 HISTOBT OF TIOaA COUNTT.



of Buffalo, in 1892, and has since been in partnership with his father; Carlos P., who
graduated at Hobart College in 1894, and is now engaged in special study, and
Walter W., now taking a post-graduate course. The family are members of the
Protestant Episcopal church, of Lawrenceville, in which Dr. Darling is senioi'
warden. In politics, he is a stanch Democrat, and served as assistajit deputy revenue
collector during President Johnson's administration. In February, 1897, he was
elected burgess of Lawrenceville. He has always taken an active part in the pro-
motion of education, and has been president of the school board for several terms.
Dr. Darling is recognized as one of the leading, successful physicians of his native

county.

Thomas V. Daeling was born in Lawrenceville, Tioga county, October 17,
1842, youngest son of Dr. Lewis Darling, Sr. He was educated at Lawrenceville
Academy, where he was a student at the breaking out of the war. He enlisted in the
United States Marine Corps and served four years. Eetuming home in shattered
health, he never fully recovered, and died in September, 1890. He married Delphine
Chase, of Lawrenceville, who, with two sons and two daughters, resides in Washing-
ton, D. C.

*MiLTON Paedee Oeton, M. D., was bom at Sharon, Connecticut, in 1795.
His paternal ancestor, Thomas Orton, came to Ancient Windsor, Connecticut, in
1640, and from a very early date the family have been cultured, literary people.
He was also a descendant of Thomas Yale, one of the founders of Yale College, and
of George Pardee, of New Haven, whose parents were Huguenots and were driven
from France by the troubles there. George Pardee was the founder of the famous
Hopkins Grammar School, of New Haven. Dr. Orton was also descended from
Gapt. Samuel Turner, of New Haven, a member of the Ancient and Honorable
Artillery and distinguished for his bravery. He graduated at Yale with honor,
after which he took the medical course at the same institution. In 1834 he came to
Lawrenceville, Tioga county, where he practiced his profession for nearly thirty
years. He married Mary Lindsley Ford, oldest daughter of Hon. James Ford. They
had ten children, seven of whom grew to matmity. Mrs. Orton died in 1852, aged
forty-two years. Dr. Orton died February 3, 1864, while surgeon in charge at
Hatteras Inlet. Their children were as follows: James Ford; Maria Lindsley, wife
of Col. Eugene B. Beaumont, U. S. A., a retired officer now living at Wilkes-Barre,
who served in the War of the Eebellion, being five times brevetted for gallant and
meritorious service, and appointed to receive Jefferson Davis when the latter was
captured; Stella Shoemaker, widow of the late Joseph F. Rusling, of Lawrenceville;
Charles Ford, who married Sarah Morgan; Ellen Bicking, who married James H.
Sherrerd, of Philadelphia; Benjamin Ford, who married Isabella A. Pleasants,
and Chester Butler Orton.

Joseph Fowlee Etjsling was born in Bridgton, Cumberland county. New
Jersey, November 29, 1831, a son of Eev. Sedgwick and Electa W. (Cummings)
Rusling, natives of New Jersey, and of English extraction. His parents reared a
family of seven children, and his father died in Lawrenceville in 1876. Joseph F.
was educated in the public schools of New Jersey and at Pennington Seminary. In

вЩ¶.Contributed by Mrs. M. L. Beaumont.



BIOGBAPHIOAL SKETCHES. 1029



September, 1847, he secured a clerkship with Bishop & Newell, a large grocery,
graia and coal firm of New Brunswick, New Jersey. Five years later he bought the
business and conducted it successfully for a long period. In 1855 he was appointed
an agent for Asa Packer for the sale of coal in New York City. He shipped the
first coal by rail to Newark, New Jersey, connecting the New Jersey Central, at
Ehzabeth, with the New Jersey railroad. These two roads having difEerent gauges,
he invented the broad tread-wheel, which permitted the cars to go direct through
to Newark without unloading. Mr. EusUng was founder and president of the second
building and loan association in the United States. At the breaking out of the
Eebellion, he secured letters from President Prelinghuysen, of Eutgers College, to
President Lincoln and Secretary Seward, and going to Washington, D. C, obtained
a contract for supplying the government with forage. In October, 1861, he was
appointed agent of the government to handle forage shipped over the Baltimore and
Ohio railroad under Colonel Ingals. In the spring of 1863 he became agent of the
government to purchase hay and oats in the west, ship them to the seat of war and
oversee their transportation. While thus engaged he was taken sick and returned to
his home in May, 1862,- and for two years was unable to do any business. In 1864
he removed with his family to Lawrenceville, Tioga county, which continued to
be his place of residence until his death, October 3, 1896. The first year of his
residence in this village he bought hay and grain for the government. In 1868
he embarked in the hay business for himself, operating at times as many as fifteen
presses, and continued the business up to 1873. In 1871 he invented a hay-tie, which
is now in general use, and the same year he erected the Eusling block in Lawrence-
ville. In 1878 he took charge of the cattle bill in Congress for the Humane Society,
and finally secured laws for the better transportation of live stock from the west
to the eastern markets. On December 23, 1857, Mr. Eusling married Stella Shoe-
maker Orton, a daughter of Dr. M. P. Orton, and grand-daughter of Hon. James
Ford, a pioneer of Lawrenceville. Six children were born to this union, as follows:
Ehzabeth L., wife of E. D. Brundage, of Wilkes-Barre; Charles S., Pord 0., Prank
D., Henry D. and Stella. Mr. Eusling was a member of the Methodist Episcopal
church, and was also connected with the I. 0. 0. P. and the P. & A. M. societies.
In politics, a Eepublican, he was burgess of Lawrenceville and president of the
school board in that borough at difEerent periods.

JoHK B. Smith, physician and surgeon, was bom at Hornby, Steuben county,
New York, March 14, 1838. His parents, Hugh and Lydia (Blendin) Smith, were
natives of that State, and reared a family of five children, viz: David P., a deceased
merchant of Eiceville, Iowa; John B., of Lawrenceville; Harriet E., wife of Edward



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 140 of 163)