Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 143 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 143 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1837, in an old log house on the Smith farm, familiarly known as the "Smith
House." He was reared a farmer, attended the district schools in boyhood, and re-
mained at home until twenty-five years of age. On December 31, 1861, he married
Eliza U. Smith, a daughter of Herman Smith, of Southport, Chemung county, New
York, and finally located on his present homestead, where he had spent his boyhood
days. Mr. and Mrs. Morrill have an adopted son, Frank D., who is now a student
at the Mansfield State Normal School, where he has won the confidence and re-
spect of the faculty by his earnest, studious habits. They have also educated and
fitted for a useful life Howard C. Morrill, who is station agent at Cedar Creek, but
previously was a commercial traveler for a New York house. Mr. Morrill is a prac-
tical temperance man, an earnest worker in the cause, and a member of the Grand



1044 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

Lodge, I. 0. Gr. T. In eonnection with agriculture, he also carried on a crate factory,
and seTeral other enterprises claimed a part of his attention. He is recognized as
one of the progressive citizens of the township.

James Fhiends came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in the twenties, and
located near Lawrenceville, where he engaged in lumbering and farming. The
country was then principally covered by the primitive forest, and he endured the
usual privations and hardships of pioneer life. About 1836 he removed to Jackson
township, and located on a farm still owned by his son, S. K. Here he spent the
remaining years of his life, dying in 1880, and left a family of eight children to
mourn his loss. In early life he was identified with the Democratic party, but
on the organization of the Eepublican party he became one of its active supporters.
Mr. Friends was a man of marked integrity, his word being always regarded as good
as his bond.

S. R. Fhiends was bom in Steuben county, 'New York, in 1825, a son of James
Friends, and came with his parents to Tioga county in early childhood. His
boyhood was passed in Lawrenceville and Jackson township, and he remained at
home until after his majority. He was then married to Mary Hogencamp, a daugh-
ter of Thomas Hogencamp, of Herkimer county, New York, and located on the
farm near where he now lives. He settled ia the woods, and was compelled to
clear and improve his land, erect buildings, and make for himself a home in the
wilderness. When the road was laid out through his farm, he assisted the sur-
veyors to run the line, and supplied them with com bread for food, the only kind
he possessed at that time. He began life with two cows and a team of horses, but
by hard and constant labor and strict attention to his affairs, he has accumulated
a handsome property, and is now one of the substantial farmers of the township.
He has reared a family of six sons and two daughters, all of whom are a credit to
their parents. Mrs. Friends died February 10, 1896. Industry, honesty, morality
and temperance have been the guiding principles of Mr. Friends' life. He early
united with the Baptist church, but later joined the Reformed Baptist church, in
which he now fills the offices of deacon and chairman. He has contributed liberally
towards the erection of the present church building, and is one of the leading mem-
bers of the society. In polities, he is an ardent Republican, and a stanch supporter
of the principles and measures of that party. He is also a member of the Patrons
of Husbandry.

Reuben Mann was bom in Vermont. He came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania,
when his son, John H., was about four years old, and located on the farm where the
latter now lives. Here he was engaged in farming and lumbering until his death.
His wife died April 3, 1886. Both he and wife were earnest Christians and active
workers in the church. Mr. Mann was scrupulously honest in all his dealings, and
was respected by the people of his township. Mr. and Mrs. Mann were the parents
of the following children: John H., of Jackson township; Jane, widow of Chauncey
Mills, of Wisconsin; Mrs. Jeanette Cobban, deceased; Laura, wife of Albert Mat-
thews, of Wisconsin; Jerome, deceased; Boardman, of Jackson township, and May,
deceased.

John H. Mann, eldest son of Reuben Mann, was bom in Dummerston, Ver-
mont, March 5, 1836, and remained at home until his marriage, August 14, 1865, to



BIOGEAPHIOAL SKETCHES. 1045



Clara Friends, a daughter of Greorge and Phoebe (Edsall) Friends. He purchased
a part of the old homestead, on which he has since resided, and is now recognized as
one of the substantial and enterprising farmers of the township. To Mr. and Mrs.
Maim have been bom two children, both of whom are dead. In politics, he is an
adherent of the Eepublican party, but has never aspired to nor held office. Char-
itable and kind to the poor and needy, Mr. Mann is highly esteemed in the com-
munity. He is now emjoying the fruits of many years of industry and good manage-
ment, and is regarded as one of the well-to-do citizens of the township.

Henet Teowbeidge was bom on the banks of the Kennebec river, at Clinton,
Kennebec county, Maine, June 39, 1834, and there grew to manhood. In 1846 he
came to Elmira, New York, where he was employed in running circular saws. While
there he sent to Boston, at an expense of five dollars, and helped to purchase a steam
railroad whistle, which he attached to a boiler at Hendy Hollow, near Elmira, com-
pleting the job at about four o'clock in the morning. When he pulled the valve, and
the strange, startling sound aroused the people from their slumbers, they cajne to
the mUl in a hurry to learn what the trouble was, and were agreeably surprised to
find themselves in no danger. In 1849 he married Sarah Jane Hunter, a native
of Connecticut, and purchased the farm at Trowbridge, Jackson township, Tioga
county, where he lived for forty-seven years. He was the first person in that vicinity
to receive a deed for his property. In 1850 Mr. Trowbridge returned to Maine and
brought out his father and three sisters to share his home in Tioga county. To Mr.
and Mrs. Trowbridge were bom ten children, five sons and five daughters, six of
whom are living, viz: Henry 0., Sarah A., Loren E., deceased; Eoanna A., Fannie
A., George E. and Samuel E., both deceased; Georgiana, Lemuel A., and Hannah Et-
tie, deceased. Mr. Trowbridge always took an active interest in educational matters,
and was also a firm supporter of the government during the dark days of civil strife,
sending a substitute to the army to assist in defending the fiag. When the railroad
was built through Jackson township, he deeded to the company a site for a station, as
well as the right of way through his land, and in his honor the station was named
Trowbridge. A postoffice was also established there bearing the same title, the only
one in the United States of that name. When the question of dividing Tioga county
was being agitated, Mr. Trowbridge was largely instrumental in defeating the scheme,
securing 301 signers in opposition to it. He served as school director for nine years,
and although not active in politics, always fulfilled the duties of a good citizen.
He was kind and charitable to the poor and needy, and while enjoying the fruits
of his early industry, he also enjoyed the confidence and esteem of the community
up to his death, June 10, 1896.

EiCHAED J. Stilwell was bom in Eutland township, Tioga county, Pennsyl-
vania, ia 1831, a son of Clark Stilwell. His father was a native of Tompkins
county, New York, and located at Daggett's Mills, where he engaged in lumbering,
and later purchased a farm which he cleared and improved. He married Mary
Searles, who had seven children: Marvin, Eichard J., Sarah L., Herman C, Mary,
Eleetus C. and Selina. He reared this large family, and died in 1878. Eichard J.
grew to manhood in his native township, obtaining a limited education in the com-
mon schools of the district. In 1854 he married Laura A. Everett, a daughter of
William and Laura Everett, early settlers of the county. When Mr. Everett and



1046 HISTOET 01' TIOGA COUNTY.

his wife first located in the dense forest, it was customary for his wife to carry a horn
to notify her husband in case of being lost. She also often punched the burning
log heap at night to make it blaze brightly, for the purpose of driving away the howl-
ing wolves that surrounded their lonely cabin. Mr. Everett was a manufacturer
of shingles, also cleared up a farm, and aided in cutting a road through the forest
from Millerton. After his marriage, Mr. Stilwell located near his father's home, in
Eutland township, but in 1856 purchased his present farm, on which he has since
resided. Mr. and Mrs. Stilwell are the parents of nine children, three sons and six
daughters, viz: Emerson, Mary E., William, Frank, Elnore, Lena, Bell, Jessie and
Anna L. The parents and most of the children are members of the Methodist Epis-
copal church. In politics, Mr. Stilwell is an active member of the Eepublican party,
and has filled the office of township clerk for several terms. By industry and ju-
dicious management he has become one of the substantial citizens of the township,
and is surrounded by the usual comforts which a successful life affords.

Geohge M. Hued was born in Knoxville, Iowa, April 8, 1858, a son of Elijah S.
and Nancy (Benson) Hurd, of Sullivan county, New York. His father was a son
of Solomon Hurd, a hotel keeper of Warsaw, New York, and removed to
Marion county, Iowa, in 1830. He was the first brick manufacturer of that State
and demonstrated the fact that bricks could be made from the common clay of the
soil of Iowa. Elijah S. Hurd was an honored and respected citizen of the State, and
one of its representative men. In early life a Whig, he was identified with the Eepub-
lican party from its formation, took a prominent part in the political history of the
Territory of Iowa, and was one of the delegates that assisted in framing the state
constitution. An ardent Abolitionist, his home was a station on the Underground
Eailroad, where many a fugitive slave was assisted in their flight for liberty. Mr.
Hurd filled many offices, among others those of state senator and lieutenant governor
of Iowa. He died in 1878, and his wife, in 1888. They reared four sons and three
daughters. George M. was the second son and received his primary education in
the schools of his native town. He later attended Central University, and graduated
at Epworth Seminary in 1883. Becoming interested in the life insurance business,
he organized a company at Dubuque, Iowa, in 1883, to do business in Iowa and
Minnesota. He was a director in and manager of the company and resided ia
Dubuque one year. Eemoving to Minneapolis he organized the Citizens Mutual
Life Insurance Company in 1885, which is yet doing business, and was an officer in
the company until 1889. In that year he became interested in the American Build-
ing and Loan Association, of Minneapolis, with which he was identified for two years,
when he disposed of his stock and removed to Chicago. Here he bought an in-
terest in the American Investment Company of that city, of which he was elected
treasurer, but at the end of one year he sold out and settled in Tioga county, Penn-
sylvania. Purchasing the old Everett homestead in Jackson township, he has since
so improved it as to make it one of the model farms in the county. In the autumn
of 1891 he went to California, where he became interested in the Pacific States
Savings and Loan Company. After an absence of one year he returned to his home,
and in May, 1893, organized the Elmira Mutual Building and Loan Association,
which has since done a large business in this locality. He was a director in and man-
ager of this company up to 1895 when he resigned and became connected with the



BIOGEAPHIOAL SKETCHES. 1047



Guaxantee Savings, Loan and Investment Company, of Washington, D. C. Mr. Hurd
was married August 14, 1884, to Mary E. Stilwell, a daughter of Eichard J. Stilwell,
of Jackson township, Tioga county. Five children have been bom to this union, viz:
Walter E., Jerome S., George Ealph, Victor Hugo and Mary E.

Putnam C. Sisson, a son of Theodore H. and Nancy A. (Eggleston) Sisson, of
Jackson township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, was bom in that township on No-
vember 13, 1852. He attended the common schools of his neighborhood, and lived
with his parents until after his majority. On May 32, 1883, he married Carrie E.
Eoekwell, a daughter of Philander W. and Salina S. (Palmer) Eockwell, of Coving-
ton township, and located on a part of a tract of land which his father had purchased,
and has cleared and improved the same. He has since given his attention to general
fanning, in which he has been fairly successful, with the exception of four years that
he was engaged in the lumber business at Williamsport, where he removed in the
spring of 1889. Mr. and Mrs. Sisson are the parents of two children, Ivan E. and
Lina E. They are members of the Disciples church, of Williamsport, and take an
active part in church and Sunday-school work at Jackson Summit, where they now
reside. They were formerly connected with Jackson Summit Lodge, I. 0. G. T.,
which has since passed out of existence. In politics, Mr. Sisson is a Eepublican.
He was a member of Seely Creek Lodge, I. 0. 0. P., and later a charter member of
Jackson Summit Lodge, of the same society. He is also connected with Mitchell's
Mills Grange, No. 912, P. of H., in all of which societies he takes an active interest.

Alfeed B. Hazen was born in Sussex county. New Jersey, March 11, 1837, a
son of James E. and Eoxy Ann (Eeed) Hazen. When he was about seven years old
his parents removed to Tioga county. New York, where he grew to manhood, receiv-
ing a common school education. He subsequently engaged in the manufacture of
lumber in that county, which business he continued until the breaking out of the
war. On November 1, 1855, he married Eachel A. Leonard, a daughter of Eobert
Leonard, of Tioga county. New York, who has borne him two children, viz: William
H., born June 7, 1856, and died April 19, 1865, and Stella A., born October 8, 1858,
now the wife of Henry Friends, of Jackson township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania.
Mr. Hazen enlisted in Company G, Fifth New York Cavalry, December 23, 1861,
and served with the Army of the Potomac and in the Shenandoah valley. He was
wounded in the leg at Brandy Station, in June, 1862, and in the right arm at Spott-
sylvania. May 12, 1864. He was in hospital on account of these wounds about one
month after each occurred. He participated in all of the battles in which his regi-
ment was engaged up to the close of the wax, and was discharged at York, Peimsyl-
vania. May 24, 1865. Eeturning to his home in Tioga county. New York, he re-
moved in the spring of 1866 to Jackson township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania,
where he had purchased a farm the previous autumn, on which his son-in-law,
Henry Friends, now lives. Mr. Hazen cleared and improved this property, and
now makes his home with his daughter, Mrs. Friends, whose husband has charge of
the farm. Mrs. Hazen died December 24, 1888. Mr. Hazen is a Eepublican, and has
filled the ofi&ce of township supervisor. He is a member of Millerton Lodge, No. 935,
I. 0. 0. P., of Millerton, and of Jackson Encampment, No. 31, I. 0. 0. F., of
Daggetts. He is also connected with Charles W. Doming Post, No. 476, G. A. E.,



1048 HISTORY OF TIOGA OOUNTT.

of Millerton; with Mitcheirs Mills Grange, No. 912, and Pomona Grange, No. 30,
of Wellsboro.

Benjamin" 0. Wheelee was bom in Jackson township, Tioga county, Pennsyl-
vania, May 31, 1825, but went to Caton township, Steuben county. New York,
in youth, and lived there until 1874. He then returned to Jackson township, and
settled on the farm stiU owned by his son, Marion H. He followed farming as a life
vocation. On November 8, 1846, he married Anneda, a daughter of William and
Hannah (Kelley) Strock, then residents of Orange county. New York, buf later of
Caton. Three children were bom to this union, as follows: Amanda M., who died at
the age of fourteen; Marion H. and Jason C, both residents of Jackson township.
Mr. Wheeler and wife were originally members of the Free Baptist church, but in
their later years became Adventists. He died February 14, 1878, and his wife, Sep-
tember 12, 1894.

Maeion H. Wheelee, eldest son of Benjamin 0. Wheeler, was bom in Caton
township, Steuben county. New York, October 26, 1851. He attended the common
schools of his district, and lived with his parents on the farm until after his majority.
On September 10, 1873, he married Mrs. Esther Millard, widow of William Millard,
and daughter of William and Hannah (Hudson) Rathbun, of ColUnsville, Connec-
ticut. She was the mother of two children by her first marriage, viz: Ida A., de-
ceased, and Ef&e A., who lives at home. There has been no issue by her present mar-
riage. In 1874 Mr. Wheeler moved to an unimproved farm in Jackson township,
Tioga county, belonging to his wife, where they have since lived. He has cleared
and improved the land, erected substantial buildings, and brought the farm under
general cultivation. Mr. and Mrs. Wheeler are members of Mitchell's Mills Grange,
No. 912, P. of H., of which he has been a trustee two years, during which time the
present Grange Hall property was purchased.

Haeet T. Geaves, editor of the Millerton Advocate, was born at Covington,
Tioga county, March 26, 1847, and is the eldest son of Thomas Graves. He was
educated in the common schools of his native town and assisted his father in the
hotel business at Covington during his boyhood days. In October, 1862, he enlisted
in Battery G, Third Pennsylvania Artillery, and re-enlisted April 2, 1864, in accord-
ance with the general order so allowing, in Company E, One Hundred and Eighty-
eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers, then being organized. He was wounded at Fort
Darling, May 16, 1864, but participated with his regiment in the battles of Cold
Harbor, Siege of Petersburg, Mine Explosion, Fair Oaks, Fort Harrison, Chapin's
Farm and other engagements, and was discharged at Lynchburg, Virginia, November
13, 1865, with the rank of sergeant, his term of enlistment having expired and the
war ended. Mr. Graves opened a job printing office in Blossburg in 1868, and
January 1, 1870, issued the first number of the Blossburg Register, his brother,
Fred, now editor of the Tioga Argus, being connected with him in its publication
after the first three issues, under the firm name of Graves Brothers. The office
was destroyed by fire in 1873, but within three weeks the paper was again issued with
new material. He remained in the Register office until the fall of 1876, when he sold
out and removed to Covington. In October, 1877, he resurrected the Millerton
Advocate. There was no material of any value in the office, and his first issue was



BIOGBAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1049



printed at Tioga. He put in a newspaper and job press, and for nearly twenty years
has issued the Advocate regularly and enjoys a good circiilation. Mr. Graves is a
member of Deming Post, No. 476, G. A. R., in which he filled the position of com-
mander four successive terms from date of charter; is also a member of Wellsboro
Encampment, No. 105, U. V. L., and Millerton Lodge, No. 935, I. 0. 0. P. On
December 33, 1871, he married Maggie A. Doud, of Covington, who died January
15, 1890. Three children were bom to this union. The eldest, Nellie, died in
August, 1890; Haxry D., died February 9, 1894, and Fritz K. survives. Mr. Graves
is an ardent Democrat, and one of the well-known newspaper men of Tioga county.

Daniel N. Lucy was bom at Big Flats, Chemung coimty. New York, in 1865,
and attended the public schools of his native place. At the age of seventeen he
began working at the trade of a painter and finisher of hard woods, which business
he followed in Elmira, New York, for a period of eight years. He then located in
Millerton, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he conducted a general store for a few
years, and then resumed his former business. Mr. Lucy became a member of Mil-
lerton Lodge, No. 935, I. 0. 0. F., in 1893, has passed through the several chairs,
and is now chief ofl&cer of the lodge. In all matters pertaining to the order he takes
a deep interest, and is one of the working members of the society. In politics, he is
a Eepublican.

James R. Sheldon was bom in Sussex county. New Jersey, July 3, 1845, a son
of Charles and Mary Ann (Eoloson) Sheldon, natives of New Jersey, and of Holland
descent. His father was a blacksmith in early life and later a farmer. In 1864 the
family located at Aspinwall Corners, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, where the
mother died. The father died in Elmira. They, were the parents of six children, viz:
James E., George, William, Ellen, Martha A., and Laura Ann. The subject of this
sketch was educated in New Jersey, and has devoted his principal attention to farm-
ing. He purchased a farm of 130 acres in Jackson township, which he cleared and
improved, but now resides in Millerton. Mr. Sheldon is interested in the Keystone
Suspension Fence, which he manufactures and sells principally in Tioga county.
He claims it is one of the best, cheapest and most satisfactory fences in the market.
Mr. Sheldon was married in Troy, Bradford county, to Helen M. Soper, a daughter of
George "W. Soper. They are the parents of three children, named as follows: Grace
B., wife of Charles Satterlee; Walton C, and Leah M. In April, 1865, Mr. Sheldon
enlisted in the Union army, but was soon after honorably discharged on account of
sickness. In politics, he is a Democrat, and takes an active interest in public affairs.
He is one of the well-known business men of the community in which he lives.



CHAPTEE LXIV.

BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES.

Richmond Township and Mansfield Boeough— Sullivan Township and Maines-
BUEG — Rutland Township.



Eev. Nehbmiah Hobaet Eiplet was bom in Massachusetts, May 5, 1771, and
removed to the vicinity of Albany, Ifew York, whence he came to Tioga coimty,
Pennsylvania, in 1815, and settled in Eichmond township, on Corey creek, about a
mile and a half east of Mansfield. Here, in 1836, he built a saw-mill, where the
Elijah Pincheon Clark mill afterwards stood. Mr. Eipley was credited with being
the first minister of the gospel to settle in Eichmond tovmship. Before coming to
this county he married Lucy Ball, who bore him a family of eleven children. His
second wife was Sally Shaw, a daughter of Joshua Shaw. Mr. Eipley was ordained
a Baptist minister, and preached for that denomination nearly fifteen years, then
became a Universalist, and continued to preach the doctrines of that faith until his
death, September 16, 1847.

Philip S. Eipley was bom near Albany, Few York, March 24, 1813, and was
a son of Nehemiah Hobart and Lucy Eipley. He came with his parents to Eichmond
township, Tioga county, in 1815, and there grew to manhood. When he was
twenty-one years of age he bought the farm upon which his son, Eoswell P., now
resides, where he lived until 1892, when he retired from active work and took up
his residence in Mansfield. Here he died, April 14, 1895, aged eighty-three years.
On December 28, 1837, Mr. Eipley was united in marriage to Lorena Webster,
second daughter of Eoswell Webster, a native of Connecticut, who settled in Sullivan
township, Tioga county, at an early day. Mrs. Eipley was born June 24, 1817, and
became the mother of the following children: Hobart, a resident of Glensted, Mi&-
souri; Homer J., of Sullivan township; Ezra, a resident of Oneida county, New York;
Joel, deceased; Lucy A., deceased wife of Joseph B. Eumsey; Vohiey, Eoswell P.
and Charles Creson, all residents of Eichmond township; Philander W., who lives in
Scranton, and Bertha J., deceased. Mrs. Eipley died June 3, 1888, and he was
again married, to Mrs. Eliza Miller, widow of Elias Miller, who survives him. In
politics, he was a Eepublican, and in religion, a stanch Universalist. He was known
for his moral rectitude, steadfastness of character, and devotion to friends and
family.

Capt. Homee J. Eiplet was bom near Mansfield, Tioga county, December 8,
1839, and lived and worked on his father's farm until he reached man's estate. He
was educated in the district schools and at Mansfield Seminary. In the summers of
1858-59, he assisted in laying brick in the erection of the Seminary building at
Mansfield, and in 1860 did similar work upon the jail in Wellsboro. In the winter
of 1861 he entered the store of A. J. & E. E. Webster, of Mainesburg, where he



BIOGKAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1051



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 143 of 163)