Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 144 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 144 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


clerked until the spring of 1862, and then entered Binghamton Commercial Col-
lege. In August, 1863, he enlisted in the Fourteenth United States Infantry, then a
part of the First Brigade, Second Division, Fifth Corps, Army of the Potomac.
In September, 1864, he was promoted to sergeant, and in November was made com-
missary sergeant. Having passed an examination for promotion before General
Casey^s board, he was commissioned second and first lieutenant, successively, in the
Fourteenth regiment, in June,. 1865. Soon afterwards he was made adjutant, and
left New York harbor with his regiment in November, 1865, for California. The
command reached Camp Goodwin, Arizona, in May, 1866, and in July the Third
Battalion of the Fourteenth became the Thirty-second United States Infantry.
He was promoted captain in the new regiment on September 15, 1867, and com-
manded at Camp Bowie, Arizona, until July, 1869, when he took a leave of absence
for a visit home, and was married November 1, 1869, to Adalena Eumsey, a daughter
of Aaron Eumsey, of Sullivan township. In February, 1870, Captain Eipley was
assigned to duty as commissary for the Arapahoe and Cheyenne Indians, at Camp
Supply, Indian Territory, and resigned from the service January 1, 1871. Upon his
return to civil life Captain Eipley engaged in merchandising at Mansfield, subse-
quently located on a farm, but seven years later again embarked in mercantile busi-
ness at Mainesburg. He closed his store at the latter place in January, 1888, to enter
upon his duties as register and recorder, in which office he served three con-
secutive terms, and then settled on his farm in Sullivan township. He is a member
of Mansfield Post, No. 48, G. A. E., and is also connected with the I. 0. 0. F., and
the F. & A. M. societies. Captain Eipley is an ardent Eepubliean, and one of the
most prominent, popular and active members of his party in Tioga county.

VoLNET Eipley was bom on the old homestead in Eichmond township, Tioga
county, October 5, 1843, a son of Philip S. and Lorena Eipley. He was reared on
the farm, and has made farming his life occupation. In the fall of 1864 he enlisted
in Company K, Two Hundred and Tenth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and participated
in the battle of White Oak Eoad. In July, 1865, he removed to Oneida county. New
York, purchased a farm, and lived there until January, 1867, when he traded it for
his present place of 100 acres, in the eastern part of Eichmond township. On
January 9, 1866, Mr. Eipley married Ameda Eumsey, a daughter of Aaron and
Aurilla Eumsey, and has two children, Maude A. and Adeline May. He is a Eepubli-
ean, in politics, and a Baptist, in religion. He has served as school director of his
district, and is connected with Mansfield Lodge, No. 536, I. 0. 0. F., also with
Mansfield Post, No. 48, G. A. E. Mr. Eipley is one of the prominent farmers of the
township, and is highly respected in the community where most of his life has been
spent.

Elijah Pincheon Claek was bom in Eichmond township, Tioga county,
Pennsylvania, May 16, 1807, a son of Elijah aad Lydia (Mixter) Clark. His father
was bom in Wilbraham, Massachusetts, in 1783, married Lydia Mixter in 1803, and
came to Tioga county in 1806. He was one of the pioneer settlers of Eichmond
township. His first wife died in 1833, and in 1835 he married Mrs. Hannah Jackson.
He died January 5, 1864, aged eighty-one years. The subject of this sketch grew to
manhood in his native township, and followed farming and lumbering. On Octo-
ber 20, 1834, he married Fanny Fitzgerald, a native of Orange county. New York,



1052 , HI3T0ET OF TIOGA COTJNTY.

bom December 28, 1803. The following children were born to this union: Daaiiel
E., who died in Whitewater, Wisconsin, July 38, 1863; Warren M., a contractor and
builder, of Waverly, ISTew York; Frank W., a lawyer, of Mansfield; J. Miller, pro-
prietor of the Corey Creek Stock and Dairy Farm, former superintendent of the
State Orphan School at Hartford, Pennsylvania, and now superintendent of the State
Industrial School at Scotland, Franklin county, Pennsylvania, and Myron S., who
died in 1865. Mrs. Clark died April 11, 1873, and in 1879 Mr. Clark married Mrs.
Eliza Eandall. He died October 27, 1884.

JoHif Kelts, a native of the Mohawk valley, New York, came to Tioga county,
about 1804, with his brothers, Peter and Jacob, and settled on the site of Mansfield,
being the first permanent settlers at that place. About 1813 he married Abigail
Button, who became the mother of the following children: Sobrine, of Eichmond
township; Jerusha, deceased wife of Seth Eumsey; Mary Ann, widow of Shippen
Eastman, of Lawrenceville; Edgar, a resident of Lawrenceville; Jacob, who resides
in Westfield; John, deceased; Finley, who lives at Homellsville, New York, and
Horace, who lives in Knoxville. Mr. Kelts died in Knoxville at the age of eighty-five
years.

SoBEiNE Kelts, eldest son of John and Abigail Kelts, was bom in Mansfield>
Tioga county, December 6, 1814, and is the oldest living person bom within the
limits of that borough. He was reared on his father's farm and endured the usual
privations of pioneer life. On August 27, 1837, he married Susan Middaugh, a
daughter of Joseph Middaugh, who settled in Lawrence township in 1806, on the
farm now occupied by Mrs. Elizabeth Knapp. Eight children have been bom to this
union, viz: Victor Leroy, deceased, who served in Company G, Fifty-first Penn-
sylvania Volunteers, and died at Camp Parole, Annapolis, Maryland, May 12, 1863;
Alexander Hamilton, a member of Company D, same regiment, who was killed at
Fredericksburg, December 13, 1862; Isabel, wife of Valentine Eeep; Catherine,
widow of Daniel Clark; Delia, wife of Horace Eeep; Horace, a resident of Mansfield;
Sarah, wife of Sperry Eichmond, and Ida, wife of George W. Lenox. In politics,
Mr. Kelts is a Eepublican, and is one of the oldest native bom citizens in the county.

Jttstus B. Clakk was born in Wilbraham, Massachusetts, February 4, 1800, a
son of Seth and Eleanor (Burr) Clark. His father was a soldier under Washington
in the Eevolution. When Justice B. was six years of age, his parents removed to
Vermont, and in 1814, came to Tioga county and settled in the Tioga Eiver valley,
below Mansfield. A few years later they removed to a farm on Corey creek, two
miles east of Mansfield. In 1821 Justus B. was married to Catherine Hart, who
was bom May 25, 1805. The following children were bom to this union: John,
Julia, who married Albert Sherwood; Lucinda, who married Lyman Beach; Justus
B., Nancy, who married Hiram Middaugh; Daniel and Amanda, both deceased, and
Morris B. Mrs. Clark died October 7, 1872, and her husband, June 24,1892. He was
a typical pioneer and backwoodsman, and in early manhood spent much of his time
on the chase, hunting the wild animals that then so thickly infested this region. He
was a man of rugged physique and capable of great endurance, and retained his
powers of mind and memory up to the time of his death, at the remarkable age of
ninety-two years.

Justus B. Clark, Je., son of Justus B. and Catherine Clark, was bom in



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1053



Eiehmond township, Tioga county, June 5, 1832, was reared on the homestead farm,
on Corey creek, and obtained a common school education. On June 5, 1856, he mar-
ried Susan H. Lucas, a daughter of James and Phoebe Lucas, who bore him two sons,
Lyman, deceased, and George A., now a resident of Mansfield. Mrs. Clark died
July 19, 1890, and he was again married, to Mary N". Johnson, nee Klock, widow of
Henry Johnson, by whom he has one son, Lee Earl. In the fall of 1861 Mr. Clark
enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and First Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served
antil the regiment was discharged, participating in the various battles in which
it took part. He entered the service as a private, and by successive promotions,
for meritorious conduct, reached the rank of second lieutenant before he was mus-
tered out of service. He was taken prisoner with his company at Plymouth, North
CaroUna, in April, 1864, and was confined in Andersonville and other southern
prisons until February, 1865. In 1866 he bought his present farm of 375 acres, in
the southeast part of Eiehmond township. From 1881 to 1885 he was engaged
in the general mercantile business in Mansfield with his son, George A. In 1891
he established the Mansfield Carriage Eepository, of which his son had charge,
retiring to his farm in 1892. Mr. Clark is a stanch Eepublican, and is also a mem-
ber of Mansfield Post, G. A. E., and of Sullivan Grange, of Mainesburg. He has
served as a school director, and has been one of the trustees of the State Normal
School for a number of years. In religion, he is an adherent of the Methodist
Episcopal church.

Geokge A. Clabk, son of Justus B. Clark, Jr., and Susan H. (Lucas) Clark,
was born in Eiehmond township, Tioga county, August 4, 1859, was reared on the
homestead farm, and received his education at Mansfield State Normal School and Al-
len's Business College. From 1881 to 1885 he was a member of the firm of J. B. Clark
& Son, general merchants. In 1886 he went to St. Paul, Minnesota, and engaged in
the real estate and brokerage business, under the firm name of Abbott & Clark. In
1889, owing to the serious illness of his mother, he sold his western interests, returned
to Mansfield, and later took charge of the carriage repository established by his
father, purchasing the same in 1895. The business consists of dealing in carriages,
wagons, harness, agricultural implements and machinery. On September 30, 1881,
Mr. Clark married Fredrika B., daughter of Henry and Jean M. Allen, of Mansfield,
who has borne him two children, viz: Frederic Blaine, deceased, and Irme Audrie.
In politics, Mr. Clark is a Eepublican. He is treasurer of Mansfield Lbdge, No. 5,
S. F. I.

Daniel Holden was born in Barre, Massachusetts, September 1, 1784. In
1809 he married Lydia Lownsbery, and they became the parents of nine children,
viz: Eliza, wife of Martin Stratton, of Blossburg; Lucy, deceased wife of Eobert
Bailey; Daniel L., born February 10, 1814, and died June 17, 1893; Isaac, born
August 13, 1816, and died March 8, 1893; DeWitt Clinton, born October 14, 1818,
and died in 1873; John A., bom December 30, 1831, now the oldest native-bom
resident of Mansfield; George E., a resident of Charleston township; Horace W.,
a druggist of Elmira, New York, and Eeuben N., a resident of Eeed City, Michigan.
A few years after his marriage, Mr. Holden removed to Albany, New York, where
he kept a hotel. In 1819 he came to Tioga county and located at Canoe Camp,
removing to Mansfield the following year. He settled on the land now owned by



1054 HISTOBT OF TIOGA COUNTY.

P. V. VanKess and D. H. Pitts. In 1836 lie built a store opposite his residence, the
first one in the village, where he eaiTied on business up to his death, September 4,
1830. His widow and son, Daniel L., continued the business until 1834. At the time
of his death he also owned a store in Sylvania, and was a partner with Thomas K.
Mitchell in one at Mitchell's Creek. He was a man of great energy aoad enterprise,
and occupied a prominent place among the pioneers. His widow died in 1874, aged
eighty-three years.

Isaac Holden was bom in Albany, Few York, August 13, 1816, a son of
Daniel Holden, and came with his parents to Tioga county in 1819. He grew to
manhood in Mansfield, and March 4, 1841, married Lydia Phelps, a native of Che-
nango county, New York. Her parents came to Tioga county in 1837, and set-
tled at Beecher's Island, where she grew to maturity. She became the mother
of six children, as follows: Delos W. and Ada C, both of whom died in childhood;
Charles A., of Mansfield; Addie, wife of George Dorsett, of Jersey Shore; Carrie,
and Eva, wife of Leonard Grover, of Buffalo. Mr. Holden was in the grocery busi-
ness in Mansfield before the war, but subsequently engaged in farming. He died
March 8, 1893. Politically, he was a Eepublican, and in religion, a member of the
Methodist Episcopal church.

Chaeles a. Holden, oldest son of Isaac Holden, was bom in Mansfield, Tioga
county, December 30, 1849. He was educated in the common schools and the State
Normal School. After arriving at manhood, he gained a practical knowledge of
business as a clerk in Mansfield and Blossburg. On August 13, 1879, he embarked
in business for himself in Mansfield, where he opened a fruit and confectionery
store, which he has successfully conducted up to the present. Mr. Holden married
Catherine A. Dorsett, a daughter of P. E. ajid Sophronia Dorsett, of Mansfield.

John A. Holden was bom in Mansfield, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, Decem-
ber 20, 1831, and is a son of Daniel and Lydia (Lownsbery) Holden. He received
such education as the common schools afforded, and in early manhood learned the
carpenter's trade with his brother-in-law, Martin Stratton, of Blossburg. He worked
in the latter place about two years, from 1840 to 1843, and then returned to Mans-
field. Up to 1860 he had either built or helped build over one-half of the houses
then in Mansfield. In 1861 he went to Fall Brook and worked two years, putting
up buildings there. He again returned to Mansfield, which has since been his home.
In 1880 he had charge of the work on the public school building of Mansfield. In
1885-86 he built his present home and the house adjoining, since which time he
has lived retired. He is now the oldest resident of Mansfield born within the bor-
ough limits. On May 34, 1848, Mr. Holden married Betsey Davis, a daughter of
Capt. Ezra and Betsey (Walker) Davis, natives of New Hampshire, and early settlers
in Mansfield. Mrs. Holden was bom in Londonderry, Vermont, December 14, 1825,
and came with her parents to Mansfield in the spring of 1838. To Mr. and Mrs.
Holden have been born the following named children: Josephine Adelia, wife of
Asa L. Wilcox, of Canoe Camp; Nellie, deceased; Daniel Alfred, a resident of
Pittsburg, and Lydia Delphine, wife of Prank Wright, of the same city. In politics,
Mr. Holden was originally a Democrat, then a Free Soiler, and has been a Ee-
publican since the organization of that party. He was the second burgess of Mans-



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1055



field, has been constable, and has served six terms as assessor, and eighteen years
as school director.

Lieut. Jacob Allen was born in Massachusetts, in 1763. He served as aide-
de-camp to his father at the begianing of the Eevolution, and after his father's death
in battle, he continued in the service until the close of the war. He was married
in his native State and became the father of seven children. In 1818 he removed to
Tioga county and settled on the old Elijah Claxk farm, in Eichmond township, where
he died December 11, 1836.

Almon Allen, second son of Jacob Allen, was bom in Massachusetts, in 1798.
He married Polly Bates, to which union were bom seven children, Fordyee Almon,
being the eldest. He came to Mansfield with his family in 1823, from Cummington,
Massachusetts, and in 1834 he and his brother-in-law, Solon Eichards, erected a
woolen factory in the village, which they operated several years and then sold.
After living for some years in Ohio, Massachusetts, and Chautauqua county, !N'ew
York, Mr. Allen returned to Mansfield, where he spent the remaining years of his
Hfe. He died in 1871, aged seventy-three years.

Peof. Fohdtce Almon Allen, eldest son of Almon Allen, and grandson of
Lieut. Jacob Allen, was bom in Cummington, Massachusetts, July 10, 1830, and was
two years old when his parents settled in Mansfield. As a boy, he attended the old
plank school house near the railroad bridge, on Wellsboro street. His youth and
early manhood were spent in Ohio, Massachusetts, and Chautauqua county, New
York. While in Massachusetts he learned the clothier's trade. At nineteen years
of age he began life for himself, clerking in Coudersport, Potter county, where
he remained until 1844, clerking, attending school and teaching. He next attended
the classical school at Alexandria, N"ew York, one year. In 1845 he married Sarah
Caldwell, of Coudersport, Pennsylvania, to which union was bom one son, Clarence
E., now of Elmira. From 1845 to 1848 he taught in the public schools of Jamestown,
New York. In the latter year his wife died. He next filled the position of principal
of the Fredonia High School, Fredonia, New York, for two years and a half, re-
signing on account of ill health, upon the recovery of which he accepted the prin-
cipalship of the academy at Smethport, Pennsylvania. On December 33, 1853,
Professor Allen married Jane M., a daughter of Alexander and Eveline Martin, of
McKean county, Pennsylvania, to which marriage were bom four children, two of
whom survive: Frederick M. and Stella E. In 1853 Professor Allen became editor of
the McKean Citizen, and the following year he was elected superintendent of schools
of McKean county, the first to hold that office, which he filled until the spring of
1858, when he established a normal school at West Chester, Pennsylvania, of which
he was principal six years. In July, 1864, he came to Mansfield and took charge of
the State Normal School, and was principal of that institution five years. He
established the Soldiers' Orphan School in the autumn of 1867, the management
of which he retained until his death. In the fall of 1877 he again became principal
of the State Normal School at Mansfield, being elected for a term of five years, and
while still occupying that position, he died at his home in that borough, February
11, 1880. It was as a conductor of teachers' institutes, however, that Professor
Allen achieved his greatest reputation. So successful was he in this department
of normal school work, that his services were in constant demand in all parts of the



1056 HISTOKT OF TIOGA COUNTY.



country. He devoted one winter to holding institutes in Wisconsin, and the sum-
mers of 1869 and 1870 to the same work in Maine. In the spring of 1871 he held
institutes in Vermont, New Orleans, and Mississippi, and in 1876 in Virginia. In
1879 he made a trip to California, and on the way home held institutes
in Kansas. In early life Professor Allen was aji Abolitionist, and supported James
G. Birney for the presidency, and later cast his fortunes with the Eepublican party.
In religion, he was a member of the Protestant Episcopal church. His widow, who
still occupies the family home in Mansfield, treasures among her most valued pos-
sessions the large and well-selected library which her husband collected during his
life. Professor Allen was not only a leader in educational work, but was a powerful
moral force in the community. He was strongly opposed to the liquor traffic, and
bent his energies towards having it so far suppressed as to prohibit its sale within
a certain distance of the State Normal School. His untimely death caused general
sorrowing, for he was loved and respected by old and young. His ever cheerful
smile and encouraging words were an inspiration to all, and few educators could
develop the higher qualities in youth to a greater degree than he. So closely iden-
tified was Professor Allen with the leading interests of Mansfield, that he is still re-
membered as one of its most progressive, useful and public-spirited men. As a
Christian, friend, husband and father he was above reproach. He lived close to
Nature's great heart, which enabled him to understand the hearts of others and
teach them the purer, nobler paths of life that alone lead to happiness and con-
tentment.

LoEiN Btttts was bom in "Windham county, Connecticut, October 28, 1796,
there grew to manhood and learned the carpenter's trade. On May 5, 1819, he
married Harriet Hyde, a native of the same county, bom April 18, 1800. In the
fall of 1829 he removed to Lawrenceville, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he built
the Presbyterian church, said to be the first church building erected in the county
outside of Wellsboro. In February, 1833, he removed to Eichmond township and
settled on a farm now within the borough limits of Mansfield, on which stood a
small house and a log bam. In the summer of 1854 he built the present residence
of his daughter, Byrissa B. Butts, where he died August 16, 1874. His wife died
June 17, 1837. She was the mother of six children, as follows: Byrissa B., of Mans-
field; Harriet, who died October 4, 1847; Jean M., deceased wife of Henry Allen,
deceased; Lucy A., widow of Spencer Mclntyre, of Blossburg; Dyer J., of Mans-
field, and Lorin Hyde, who resides in New York City. Mr. Butts was an elder in
the Presbyterian church and a tireless, enthusiastic worker in both church and
Sunday-school. By his personal example and efforts, he did much to forward the
cause of religion and morality, and was especially prominent in temperance work.
His wife, too, was an earnest and devoted Christian, and was active in the charitable
work of the church. During the dark days of the Eebellion, he. was ever loyal and
devoted to the government and sent two sons into the army to assist in defending
the Union. In politics, Mr. Butts was a Eepublican, served five years as a Justice of
the peace, and also held various other township offices. He was practically the
founder of Friendship Lodge, No. 274, F. & A. M., and an active and conscientious
Mason.

Byrissa B. Butts, oldest child of Lorin Butts, was bom in Canterbury, Wind-



BIOGHAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1057



ham county, Connecticut, March 31, 1830. When nine years of age she came with
her parents to Lawrenceville, Tioga county, and four years later to Mansfield. Her
mother died when Byrissa B. was seventeen years of age, and the care of the younger
children fell upon her. She has remained unmarried, was the companion of her
father during the declining years of his life, and now occupies the old homestead
on South Main street, in Mansfield. This and the fifty acres of land adjoining she
owns and manages. Though advanced in years, she is still vigorous and active, and
gives her personal attention to the management of her property. Her memory
of events and incidents connected with the earlier history of the tovmship and bor-
ough is clear and accurate. She is known in the community as a very charitable
woman, who is always kind and helpful to the poor and needy вАФ a woman whose
enterprise, public spirit and charity are well known in the Tioga valley, where she has
lived for almost seventy years.

Apollos Pitts, son of Hanover and MoUie (Cudworth) Pitts, was bom in Sul-
livan township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, May 13, 1810, and spent his early
years in that township, with the exception of a few years after his mother's death
that he lived with a family named Eeynolds, in Hector, New York. His opportuni-
ties for obtaining an education were limited to the pioneer schools of that period,
and he was reared to habits of industry and economy. On May 10, 1833, he married
Phoebe M. Mudge, a daughter of Aaron Mudge, an early settler of Sullivan town-
ship, who bore him a family of eight children, four of whom are living, viz: Pem-
broke P., a resident of Belmont, New York; Mrs Mary P. Smith, of Osawatomie,
Kansas; Daniel H. and John F. The deceased are: Charles M., Aaron M., Emma
Josephine, who married J. "W. Bailey, and Lucinda H., who married J. S. Mur-
dough. In 1837 Mr. Pitts came to Mansfield, and engaged in mercantile business;
was also postmaster of that borough, and filled the office of justice of the peace so
many years that he was always addressed as 'Squire Pitts. He was instrumental
in building the Seminary and served as a trustee. He finally settled on a farm east
of Mansfield, since known as the Voorhees place, and lived there many years, farm-
ing, lumbering and operating a saw-mill. In 1855 he sold this place and bought a
farm four miles southeast of Mansfield. Here he lived until 1865, when he bought
the next farm below, now owned and occupied by his son, John P. Pitts. On this he
resided until his death, March 9, 1895. His wife died in December, 1873. A life-
long Democrat, he was as faithful to the principles of his party during the long
years since it lost its ascendency in this county, as when it was the majority party,
and never missed an opportunity of recording his convictions at the polls, his last
visit to Mansfield being on election day, in November, 1894.

Capt. Aaeon Mtjdge Pitts, son of Apollos Pitts, was bom in Sullivan town-
ship, Tioga county, October 27, 1834, and came with his parents to Mansfield in 1837.
He was educated at the common schools, the Genesee Wesleyan Seminary, Lima,
New York, and Mansfield Classical Seminaiy. In 1858 he removed to Doniphan



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 144 of 163)