Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 145 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 145 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


county, Kansas, and while residing there served as constable and deputy sheriff.
On August 10, 1861, he enlisted as a private in Company A, Seventh Kansas Cavalry,
and rose by successive promotions until he was commissioned captain of Company
D, in 1863. He served principally in Mississippi and Tennessee, and was highly
complimented by the commanding general for discipline and gallantry. In 1865

67



1058 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

he was stationed at St. Louis as a member of the court martial board, and
was honorably discharged with the regiment at Fort Leavenworth in September of
that year. The following December he returned to Mansfield, and in February, 1866,
went into the mercantile business with J. S. Murdough and his brother, D. H.
Pitts, the firm being Murdough & Pitts Brothers. In 1869 the firm became Pitts
Brothers, and so continued until 1879, when Aaron M. withdrew and embarked
in the lumber and real estate business. He later engaged in the sale of agricul-
tural implements and buying grain, which he continued until failing health com-
pelled him to retire. Captain Pitts was married May 1, 1866, to Fannie A. Bixby,
a daughter of Amos and Lydia G. (Sheffield) Bixby. She was bom in Yonkers,
New York, May 4, 1839, and came to Mansfield with her parents in 1844. Two
children were bom of this union, viz: Harriet, wife of Eev. Charles K. Newell,
a resident of Big Plats, New York, and Wayne A., a merchant of Mansfield. Though
■a life-long Democrat, Captain Pitts was proud of having voted for Lincoln in 1864.
He was a trustee of the Mansfield State Normal for many years, and was a prominent
member of the G. A. E. and the Tioga Valley Grange. He died October 3, 1891.
For over quarter of a century he was one of the leading citizens of Mansfield, noted
for his energy, enterprise and public spirit.

Daniel H. Pitts, son of ApoUos Pitts, was born in Mansfield, Tioga county.
May 11, 1839, and was educated in the common schools and Mansfield Classical
Seminary. After leaving school he worked on the homestead farm until April, 1861,
when he enlisted in Company K, Fifth Pennsylvania Eeserve, and served with his
regiment until June, 1864. Among other battles, he participated in the Seven
Days' Fight before Eichmond and the battles of the Wilderness, where he was
wounded in the right arm. After his discharge from the service, he became sutler
of the Seventh Kansas Cavalry, and continued as such imtil the close of the war,
when he returned to Mansfield. In February, 1866, he became a member of the
firm of Murdough & Pitts Brothers, which three years later was changed to Pitts
Brothers. In 1879 his brother, Aaron M., withdrew, and Frank Hart acquiring
an interest, the firm then became D. H. Pitts & Company. A short time afterwards
Mr. Pitts purchased Mr. Hart's interest, and has since carried on the business
alone, his store now being the leading mercantile establishment in Mansfield. Janu-
ary 4, 1870, he married Jennie Bodine, a daughter of Frederick Bodine, to which
union have been bom three children, viz: Clyde D., Eva B. and Lew F. In poli-
ties, Mr. Pitts is a Democrat, and has served as burgess, member of the council, and
school director. As a business man, his career has been one of uninterrupted success,
and he justly ranks as one of the leading citizens of his native county. His store
stands upon the spot where he was bom, and the large business which he has built
up is the most enduring and appropriate monument that it could bear to mark the
growth and development of the town. Mr. Pitts has been a warm friend of the State
Normal School, and has served for many years as a member and president of the
board of trustees. He has taken an active interest in local and national politics,
and has been a delegate to many county conventions. In 1888 he was a delegate
from this congressional district to the National Democratic Convention at St. Louis
that re-nominated Grover Cleveland for the presidency.

John F. Pitts was born in Eichmond township, Tioga county, July 3, 1849,



BIOGBAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1059



and is the youngest living child of ApoUos Pitts. He was reared on a farm, and was
educated in the common schools of his township. When twenty-one years of age,
he purchased one-half of the old homestead, and in 1891 bought the other half,
making a farm of 300 acres, located a short distance southeast of Mansfield. In
December, 1871, Mr. Pitts married Sarah J. Baker, a daughter of Kussell Baker,
of Charleston township, and has four children, viz: Mary E., Kaymond D., Josephine
M. and Arthur H. Mr. Pitts gave his whole attention to farming until his election,
in November, 1893, to the office of county commissioner. His term expired January
1, 1897, since which time he has devoted himself to his farm. He had previously
served as supervisor of Richmond township, in 1889 and 1890. Like his father,
Mr. Pitts has been a life-long Democrat, and is a stanch supporter of Democratic
principles. He is a member of the I. 0. 0. F., and the family adhere to the Metho-
dist Episcopal church. Mr. Pitts is not only one of the leading farmers of his town-
ship, but is one of the substantial, enterprising and progressive citizens of his
native county.

Amos Bixby was bom in Windham county, Vermont, and was reared in Sus-
quehanna county, Pennsylvania. He was a son of Darius and Eachel (Smith)
Bixby, natives of Vermont. In January, 1836, he was married in Eaxlville, New
York, to Lydia G. Sheffield, and in 1844 came to Mansfield, Tioga county. He
first engaged in the lumber and general merchandising business, and in building
canal boats at a yard northeast of the borough bridge crossing Tioga river. He
later became a railroad contractor and built several sections of the New York and
Erie road, being also engaged in track laying on that and the Northern Central.
He built and operated the plaster and paint-mill at the south line of what is now
Mansfield borough; also a saw-mill on the same site. In connection with the mills
was a farm on which he resided for ten yeaxs preceding his death. Mr. Bixby was
a stanch Whig and later a Eepublican. He was greatly interested in the varying
fortunes of the Mansfield Seminary, now the State Normal School, and served
many terms as a trustee. He also filled the office of county commissioner for two
years, resigning in 1863 on account of ill health. He died August 4, 1863, leaving
a wife, one son and two daughters. His wife died in 1881. The children are as
follows: Joseph NeweU, who died in 1895; Fannie A., widow of Capt. A. M. Pitts,
and Harriet M., who died in 1863.

Daniel Sheewood, a son of Henry Sherwood, was bom in Connecticut, Oc-
tober 33, 1774, and was a descendant of Thomas Sherwood, who came to America
in 1634 and settled in New England. While yet a young man the subject of this
sketch removed to the vicinity of Marathon, Cortland county, New York, where he
was married March 30, 1800, to Anna Stevens, a daughter of John Stevens. She
was bom May 8, 1783, and became the mother of nine children, all of whom are
dead except Hiram M., of Mansfield. In 1830 Mr. Sherwood, several of his sons,
and his brother, Noai, came to Tioga county and settled a short distance below
the site of Lamb's Creek, where they built a saw-mill. In 1839 they removed to
Mansfield, where Mr. Sherwood continued to reside until his death, April 7, 1859.
His wife died Pebraary 9, 1848. Before coming to Tioga county, Mr. Sherwood
represented Cortland county. New York, in the state legislature for several years,
and usually made the journey to and from Albany on horseback. He was the founder



1060 HISTOKT OF TIOGA COUNTY.

of the Baptist church at Mansfield, of which his son, Eev. Abijah Sherwood, was
the first pastor. He was a man of intelligence, strict integrity and good business
ability. His son, Daniel Lee Sherwood, bom near Marathon, New York, December
5, 1809, represented Tioga and Potter counties in the legislature in 1843-43, and
Tioga and Bradford in the State Senate from 1844 to 1846, being speaker during
the latter year. From 1877 to 1880 he was a representative from Northumberland
county. He died at Northumberland, Pennsylvania, October 7, 1886.

Albeet Sherwood, son of Daniel Sherwood, was bom near Marathon, New
York, August 37, 1817, and was about thirteen years old when his parents came to
Tioga county. In early life he devoted his attention to lumbering, and after the
family removed to Mansfield he engaged in farming. On May 38, 1845, he mar-
ried Julia A. Clark, a daughter of Justus B. and Catherine (Haxt) Clark, of Eich-
mond township, to which union were bom the following named children: Andrew
J., deceased; Daniel Andrew, a resident of Mansfield; Anna M., wife of Daniel L.
Fralie, of Coming, New York, and Clark B., who resides in Mansfield. Mr. Sher-
wood was for many years a Democrat, but in later life acted with the Prohibition
party. He was one of the early trustees of the State Normal School at Mansfield,
and the longest in service, and some years before his death was made an honorary
trustee for life. He was also a member and a deacon of the Baptist church of Mans-
field. He died September 4, 1896, aged seventy-nine years.

Daniel Andrew Sherwood was bom at Mansfield, Tioga county, July 16,
1848, a son of Albert Sherwood, and grandson of Daniel Sherwood. He obtained
his education in the common schools, the State Normal School of his native town,
and the University of Chicago. In 1870 he assisted in the Geological Survey of
Ohio, under Prof. J. S. Newberry, and was also engaged for five years in field work
on the New York Survey, under Prof. James Hall. Prom 1873 to 1878 he assisted
in the Second Geological Survey of Pennsylvania, with Prof. J. P. Lesley, working
principally in Tioga, Bradford, Lycoming and Potter counties. During the World's
Fair in Chicago, he was the manager of the Pennsylvania Mineral Exhibit. He
has also been in the employ of the Anchor Oil Company in surveying and locating
wells. Mr. Sherwood was married April 17, 1873, to Jennie L. Knapp, a daughter
of A. M. and Elizabeth Knapp, of Lawrence township, and has five children, viz:
Anna L., Hugh M., Mattie J., Lola I. and Jennie E. Mr. Sherwood is a member of
the Baptist church, a writer of gospel hymns and sacred songs, and takes an interest
in religious work. In politics, a Prohibitionist, he was the candidate of that party
for the Assembly in 1884, and for Congress in 1894. He is one of the well-known
residents of Mansfield, where nearly his entire life has been passed.

Clark Burr Sherwood, youngest child of Albert Sherwood, and grandson of
Daniel Sherwood, was bom upon the old homestead at Mansfield, Tioga county,
February 33, 1852, and was educated in the common schools. After arriving at
manhood, he adopted farming as his avocation and has successfully pursued it up
to the present time. Mr. Sherwood married Sarah E. Smith, of Lawrence township,
a daughter of Morton and Deborah (IngersoU) Smith, formerly of Fairfield county,
Connecticut. They are the parents of three children, named as follows: Julia Floy,
by a former marriage; Lorena J., and Daniel Albert. In politics, Mr. Sherwood is



BIOGKAPHIOAL SKETCHES. 1061



a Democrat, with independent tendencies. He is a member of the Patrons of Hus-
bandry, and is one of the prominent and successful farmers of his native township.

De. Joseph P. Moeeis, son of Isaac W. and Sarah (Paschall) Morris, and
grandson of Capt. Samuel Morris, a soldier of the Eevolution, was born in Philadel-
phia, Pennsylvania, February 8, 1809. In 1834 he came to Tioga county, and soon
afterwards located iu Blossburg, there being at that time only a few families in the
place. He became a member of the Arbon Coal Company, the first company formed
to develop the Blossburg coal and iron deposits, among his associates being James
E. Wilson, of Philadelphia; Dr. Lewis Saynisch, of Blossburg, and James H. Gulick,
of New Jersey. He also was interested in and helped to build the Tioga railroad.
In 1843 he purchased of James E. Wilson 1,100 acres of land, formerly the Asa Mann
property, for $13,000. This included nearly all the ground now occupied by the
borough of Mansfield. Here he resided until 1846, devoting his time to his land
and to the practice of medicine. In the latter year he moved to Wellsboro, resided
there up to 1854, and then returned to Mansfield. As the village increased in
population, his land was laid out in town lots, and the sale of these and the pro-
motion of enterprises calculated to advance the growth of the town, kept his time
fully occupied, although he occasionally answered the call of those needing his
medical services. Dr. Morris was one of the original friends and promoters of the
Mansfield Classical Seminary and gave six acres of land as a site for that institu-
tion. He served as trustee and corresponding secretary of the Seminary for many
years, and was one of its stanchest friends, giving liberally of his means towards its
support. He was later a trustee of the State Normal School for some years, and
also gave the site for the Protestant Episcopal church at Mansfield. Dr. Morris
was married November 3, 1836, to Sarah B. Morris, a daughter of Judge Samuel
Wells and Anna (EUis) Morris. Her father was a son of Benjamin Wistar Morris,
a pioneer of Wellsboro, and married Anna Ellis, a» daughter of William Ellis, of
Muncy, Lycoming county. To Dr. Joseph P. and Sarah E. Morris were born three
children, viz: Alfred, bom September 6, 1837, and died June 17, 1860; Catherine,
widow of Charles P. Swan, and James Wilson, a civil engineer of Gallon, Ohio.
In politics. Dr. Morris was a Eepublican, and an earnest supporter of that party.
He died December 17, 1893, at the ripe age of nearly eighty-four years. Though
eighty years of age, Mrs. Morris is bright, active and energetic, and gives her per-
sonal attention to all matters pertaining to her late husband's interests. She pos-
sesses a fund of interesting information concerning the early history of Mansfield,
her memory of dates and events being remarkably clear and accurate.

Olivee Elliott, a son of Nathaniel Elliott, was born near Portland, Maine,
May 13, 1805. In 1808 his parents came to Tioga county and settled near Coving-
ton, removing to Cherry Plats in 1830. Here his father died in 1840, aged seventy-
one years, and his mother, in 1845, aged seventy-nine years. Mr. Elliott married
Mary Ann Eockwell, of Troy township, Bradford county, in 1826, who became the
mother of eight children, viz: Orson V., a merchant of Mansfield; Oliver W., who
died in the army; Anna B., deceased wife of Irving S. Harkness; Thomas D., a
resident of Mansfield; Victor Alanson, a resident of Denver, and for twelve years
circuit judge, and five years judge of the Supreme Court of Colorado; and Mary
and Silas, both deceased. Mrs. Elliott died in. 1846, and in 1847 he married her



1062 HI3T0ET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

widowed sister, Mrs. Julia Bailey, who died in 1849. In 1850 he married Maria
Harkness, a daughter of Joel and Almina Harkness, early settlers of Covington
township. Three children were bom to this union, only one of whom grew up,
Judson A., a resident of Mansfield. From 1836 to 1849 Mr. Elliott resided on his
farm near Mansfield, but in the spring of 1850 he returned to Cherry Flats, where
he carried on a general store until 1868. From 1868 to 1873 he was a partner with
his eldest son, Orson V., in the shoe business at Mansfield. In 1873 he sold his
interest to his son and removed to Charleston township, and engaged in farming.
A year later he returned to Mansfield, and in 1876, with his youngest son, Judson
A., purchased the mercantile business of William Adams, and established the firm
of 0. Elliott & Son, in which he continued until his death, April 34, 1891.

Thomas D. Elliott, a retired farmer of Mansfield, was born in that borough
in 1834, and is the fourth child of Oliver and Mary Ann (Eockwell) Elliott. He
followed farming for some years, and later conducted a meat market in Wellsboro,
whence he removed to a farm in Charleston township, and subsequently to Mans-
field. He married Julia A. Macumber, of Eichmond township, and reared three
children, viz: Nettie, wife of S. C. Peake, of Troy, Bradford county; Walter V., a
dentist of Waverly, New York, and George H., deceased. Mr. ElHott and wife are
members of the Baptist church. In politics, he is a Eepublican, and served in the
Eebellion as a member of the One Hundred and Forty-ninth Pennsylvania Vol-
unteers.

Geoege H. Elliott, youngest child of Thomas D. Elliott, and grandson of
Oliver Elliott, was born in Eichmond township, Tioga county, July 4, 1863. He
was reared on the Homestead farm, and obtained his education in the district
schools and at Wellsboro High School. When twenty-two years of age he began
running a huckster wagon in Charleston township, which business he continued
five years, at the end of whicl^ time he purchased a farm of 113 acres in Delmar
township, on which he resided until his death, January 36, 1897. Mr. Elliott was
married October 14, 1885, to Louise H. Coolidge, a daughter of D. K. and Maiy A.
(Meacham) Coolidge, and left one child. He was a member of the Baptist church,
to which his widow also belongs. In politics, he was an adherent of the Eepublican
party.

Laeman H. Elliott was bom in Ancrum, New York, June 4, 1794, a son of
William Elliott. He acquired a fair English education in his youth and later
learned the mason's trade. In 1804 he came to Pennsylvania and settled at Wysox,
Bradford county, where he witnessed the great eclipse of 1806. He afterwards
went to Sheshequin, in the same county, where, September 9, 1831, he married
Mary Wright, a daughter of Matthew Wright. She was bom in Lisle, Broome
county, New York, December 33, 1804. In 1841 they came to Tioga county and
located in Middlebury township, where he followed farming, school teaching and
working at his trade. In 1848 they removed to Mansfield, which remained their
place of residence until their death. Mr. Elliott died April 13, 1873, and his wife,
December 38, 1888. They were the parents of two sons, Charles Volney and Simon
Bolivar.

Chaeles Volnet Elliott, M. D., son of Larman H. and Mary Elliott, was
born in Sheshequin, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, March 37, 1834, and was



BIOGKAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1063



seTenteen years old when his father removed to this county. He read medicine with
Pr. Nelson Packer, of Wellsboro, and afterwards took a course of study at Geneva
Medical College, Geneva, New York. In 1847 he began the practice of his pro-
fession in Mansfield. In the autumn of 1856 he removed to Hudson City, Wis-
consin, but in 1859 returned to Mansfield, resumed his practice here, and also
opened a drug store, which he carried on up to 1891, when he sold out to J. M.
Smith. In 1860 he was appointed postmaster of Mansfield, and held the office for
twelve years. In 1876 he was elected to the legislature, and was re-elected in 1878.
He has also served as burgess of Mansfield, a member of the borough council, and
as trustee of the State Normal School. Dr. Elliott was married in August, 1847, to
Eliza A. Graves, a daughter of Elisha Graves, of Troy, Bradford county. Their
only child, Mary E., is now the wife of Dr. C. W. Brown, of Washington, D. C.
Mrs. Elliott died November 2, 1863, and Dr. Elliott married for his second wife,
Julia Ahce Holden, a daughter of D. L. and Elizabeth (Mudge) Holden, of Mans-
field. The only child of this marriage, Arthur H., was born September 4, 1867;
is a graduate of the College of Pharmacy, Philadelphia; married E. Mattie Doane,
and is now a druggist in Wellsboro. In politics. Dr. Elliott is a Eepubliean, and in
religion, an adherent of the Protestant Episcopal church. He is also a member of
Friendship Lodge, No. 247, P. & A. M. Dr. Elliott retired from business aad the
practice of his profession in 1891, since which time he has devoted his attention
to the cultivation of his pleasantly situated homestead in the northern suburbs of
Mansfield. During the many years he was engaged in the practice of medicine, he
not only earned an enduring reputation as a skillful and successful physician, but
has long been regarded as one of the foremost citizens of the county. His services
in the legislature and in the various other offices he has filled, were characterized by
an unfaltering fidelity to duty and an unwavering adherence to principle. True
to every trust reposed in him, he enjoys the respect and esteem of the community
in which the greater portion of his life has been spent.

William M. Baeden, M. D., was bom in Benton, New York, February 14,
1813, and was educated at Geneva Medical College. He married Olive Hanley, a
native of Hector, Schuyler county. New York, to which union were bom four chil-
dren, viz: 0. P., recently deceaaed, who for many years was a practicing physician
ia Tioga borough; Samuel 0., a resident of Eichmond township; Olive Louise,
who died in infancy, and John M., a physician of Eoseville, Tioga county. Mrs.
Barden died in 1847, in Benton, New York, and in 1853, Dr. Barden came to Mans-
field, Tioga county. He was the first homeopathic physician in the borough, and,
notwithstanding the prejudice in favor of the old school, he soon established a repu-
tation as a skillful and successful practitioner. He died September 30, 1884.

John M. Baeden, M. D., son of Dr. William M. Barden, was bom in Benton,
Yates county. New York, January 33, 1834. He was educated in the common
schools and at Peach Orchard Academy, Hector, New York, studied medicine under
his father, and was admitted to practice in 1863. He located at Eoseville, Tioga
county, where he continued his professional duties until 1881, when he removed
to Mansfield. Here he practiced his profession until April, 1895, when he retumed
to Eoseville, where he now resides. Dr. Barden was married to Harriet H. Ketchum,
a daughter of Joseph and Phoebe Ketchum, January 5, 1860. Her parents came



1064 HISTOBY OF TIOGA COUITTT.

from Lisle, Broome coimty, New York, to Mansfield, in 1858. Pour children have
blessed this union, as follows: Kate, wife of A. W. Stevenson, of Mansfield; EsteUe,
wife of J. C. Gallop, of Smethport, MeKean county; John L., who lives with his
parents, and Otis, who died in infancy. Dr. Barden is a stanch Eepublican, and
while a resident of Mansfield filled the office of burgess, served in the borough
council, and was president of the board of trade, and the Smythe Park Association.
He is a member of the Baptist church, also of Friendship Lodge, No. 347, F. &
A. M., and Mansfield Lodge, Ko. 536, 1. 0. 0. F. He is connected with the Southern
Tier Homeopathic Association, of New York, and is one of the well-known practi-
tioners of his school of medicine. To a successful career as a physician. Dr. Barden
has added that of a citizen ever ready to forward the best interests of the commu-
nity in- which he lives.

Andrew J. Eoss was born in Pike township, Bradford county, Peimsylvania,
February 23, ISS?. His father, Isaac Eoss, was an early settler of Bradford county,
and also a contractor on the North Branch canal, where Andrew J. was employed
as a foreman. He afterwards clerked ia a store at Stanton, Pennsylvania, and in 1854
located in Wellsboro, Tioga county. A year later he removed to Mansfield, and in
partnership with the late Philip Williams, under the firm name of Eoss & Williams,
engaged in merchandising. In 1860 the firm added lumbering to their business, and
in 1865 sold out the store, but continued their lumber operations, and also opened
a loan office. On May 24, 1872, they established the banking house of Eoss &
Williams, of which Mr. Eoss continued as senior partner until his death, August
18, 1875. On April 33, 1856, he married Sarah McKune, a daughter of James
McKune, to which union were bom two children, Charles S. and Edward H. Mrs.
Eoss died on July 9, 1883, aged fifty-two years. During the thirty years of his
residence in Mansfield, Mr. Eoss was prominent both as a business man and a citizen.
He took a deep interest in the building up of the borough, and gave a cordial and
earnest support to every enterprise having that end in view. He was a warm friend
of the Mansfield Classical Seminary, and its successor, the State Normal School,
during the years it was beset with difficulties and vicissitudes, and served on the
board of trustees and as treasurer of the institution for a number of years. In
politics, he was a Eepublican, and in religion, a member of the Protestant Episcopal
church.

Charles S. Eoss, eldest son of Andrew J. Eoss, was bom in Mansfield, Tioga



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 145 of 163)