Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 146 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 146 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


county, February 14, 1857. He was educated in the State Normal School, from
which he graduated in 1876. Immediately afterwards he entered the banking
house of Eoss & Williams, as the representative of his father's interest, and in the
summer of 1878 he succeeded to the place in that firm made vacant by his father's
death. After the death of Mr. Williams, in July, 1894, Mr. Eoss carried on the
business as surviving partner, until January 1, 1895, when he became the sole
proprietor, but continued under the old firm name. In polities, Mr. Eoss is a Eepub-
lican, but has never sought or held office.

Edwaed H. Eoss, youngest son of Andrew J. Eoss, was bom in Mansfield, Tioga
county, November 10, 1865. He was educated at the State Normal School, Mans-
field, and the military academy at White Plains, New York, from which institution
he graduated in 1883. He studied law in the office of Elliott & Watrous, of Wells-



BIOQEAPHIOAL SKETCHES. 1065



boro, but has never practiced. In 1889 he established the Eoss Cigar Company,
which employs about fifty hands in the manufacture of cigars for the retail trade.
Under his management the enterprise has proven successful and is an important
factor in the industrial life of Mansfield. Mr. Ross was married April 5, 1893, to Miss
Mary Waldo, and has one son, Charles Waldo. In politics, he is a Eepublican, and is
connected with Friendship Lodge, No. 347, 5. & A. M.

Lawton Cummings was born in Oswego, New York, June 1, 1836, and was one
of nine children bom to Lawton C. and Polly (McMillan) Cummings, as follows:
Maria, wife of James C. Skinner, of Evanston, Illinois; David, deceased; Lawton,
of Mansfield; Frances, wife of L. H. Eobbins, of Mansfield; Edwin, deceased;
Eunice, wife of Horace Case, of Coldwater, Michigan; Elliott, a resident of Cali-
fornia; Lucy, and John, the last deceased. When the subject of this sketch was three
years old his parents removed to Oneida county, New York. There he grew to
manhood, attending school until he was fourteen years old, and later learning the
carpenter's trade. His mother died in 1840, and his father subsequently married
Lurana Hoard, removed to Coldwater, Michigan, and there passed the remaining
years of his life. In 1850 Mr. Cummings came to Mansfield, Tioga county, where
he worked at his trade a few years. In 1853 he embarked in merchandising, as a
member of the firin of Hoard, Beach & Cummings, in which he continued several
years. He was among the earliest subscribers to the Mansfield Classical Seminary
fund, and was employed as a foreman in the erection of the first building. He
was actively engaged as a carpenter and builder up to 1887, when he and his son,
John L., opened a bakery and confectionery, under the firm name of J. L. Cum-
mings & Company, which has proven a prosperous venture. On December 13, 1853,
Mr. Cummings married Polly Hunt, a daughter of Samuel Hunt, of Mansfield, to
which union have been bom three children, viz: Nettie S., John L. and Ida Belle.
In politics, he is a Democrat, and in religion, a member of the Methodist Episcopal
church.

John L. Cummings, son of Lawton Cummings, was bom in Mansfield, Tioga
coimty, August 3, 1863, and was educated in the State Normal School and the Allen
Business College. In 1887 he formed a partnership with his father, under the firm
name of J. L. Cummings & Company, and established their present baiery and
confectionery business. On August 16, 1894, he was appointed postmaster of Mans-
field, by President Cleveland, and still holds the oflaee. In politics, Mr. Cummings
is a stanch Democrat, has served as a delegate to county conventions, and is recog-
nized as one of the local leaders in his party. He makes a popular and efficient post-
master, and has discharged the duties of the office to the satisfaction of its patrons,
irrespective of party. In religion, he is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.

EoswELL BaIley was bom in Vermont, December 35, 1783, came to Tioga
county, Pennsylvania, about the year 1803, and located in Tioga township. In 1810
he removed to the Dartt settlement, in Charleston township, where he cleared and
improved a farm," and died October 34, 1840. In 1805 Mr. Bailey married Lucinda
Clark, of which union six children grew to maturity, named as follows: Clark W.,
Eobert B., Eoswell W., Mary A., Benjamin M. and Justus B. Mrs. Bailey died in
the early twenties, and in 1833 he married Julia A. Eockwell, who became the mother



1066 HISTOET OP TIOGA COUNTY.



of six children, viz: John W., Eockwell S., George W., Julia A., Ellen M. and Caro-
line.

Claek W. Bailey was born in Tioga township, Tioga county, January 12,
1806, and was the eldest son of Eoswell and Lucinda Bailey. He grew up amidst
pioneer surroundings, and attended school in the old-fashioned log school house
of early days. When twenty-one years of age he purchased a farm near Whitney's
Corners, Charleston township, and later formed a partnership with E. G. White,
erected a large steam saw-mill, and engaged in the lumber business on an exten-
sive scale. In 1857 he removed to Mansfield, where he purchased a grist-mill, and
the following year built a water-power saw-mill, both of which he operated until
1866, when he sold out to his sons, Thomas H. and Justus W. - He also owned and
operated a foundry in Mansiield, and was one of its most prominent business men
for many years. He was instrumental in establishing the Mansfield Seminary, was
a liberal supporter of all public enterprises, and an earnest member of the Methodist
Episcopal church. On May 13, 1827, Mr. Bailey married Vesta Judd, of Bingham-
ton, New York, to which union were bom ten children, as follows: Sarah L., Eoswell
G., Julius M., Wesley V., Thomas H., Emily J., Julia A., Justus W., Clarissa V.
and Clark B. Mr. Bailey died at the home of his son, Julius M., December 22, 1881.
His widow survived until October 2, 1882, dying at the age of seventy-four years.

Thomas H. Bailey was bom in Charleston township, Tioga county, Decem-
ber 1, 1839, and is the fourth son of Clark W. Bailey. He was reared on the home-
stead farm, obtained a common school education, and after attaining manhood he
purchased a grist-mill from his father, which he operated until 1889. In 1866 he
and his brother, Justus W., bought their father's saw-mill, and a few years later
they also bought the foundry at Mansfield. A short time afterwards, Thomas H.
purchased his brother's interest in both industries, but the mills were swept away
by the flood of June, 1889, entailing upon Mr. Bailey a heavy loss. He purchased
several large tracts of timber lands at different periods, some of which he still re-
tains. Mr. Bailey was married September 30, 1868, to Josephine Hillier, a daugh-
ter of John Hillier, of Larry's Creek, Lycoming county, and has two children,
Sarah V. and Harry W. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church,
and Mr. Bailey is connected with the F. & A. M. and the I. 0. 0. P. societies. In
polities, he has been a life-long Eepiibliean, and one of the local leaders in his party.
He was burgess of Mansfield for several years; a member of the council for nine
years, and a member of the school board for six years. For eighteen years he was one
of the trustees of the State Normal School at Mansfield, in which institution he
has always taken a deep interest. In the autumn of 1890 he was elected a county
commissioner, and moved his family to Wellsboro the following spring. He was
re-elected in the fall of 1893, and served until the close of 1896. He then purchased
the Hotel Allen, in Mansfield, and took charge of that house in April, 1897, of
which he is now proprietor.

EoBEKT B. Bailey, second son of Eoswell and Lucinda (Clark) Bailey, was
bom January 28, 1808, in Tioga county. He was reared to manhood in Charleston
township. After his marriage he purchased a farm of 300 acres in Eichmond town-
ship, where he passed the remaining years of his life, and died October 17, 1884. Mr.
Bailey was married three times. His first wife, to whom he was married February 20,



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1067



1834, was Lucy Holden, a daughter of Daniel Holden, an early settler in Mansfield.
To this union were born the following named children: Lydia, wife of George Hol-
lands, of Homerville, New York; Justus M., deceased; Mary Augusta, wife of
George Baker, of Eutland; Charlotte Lucy and Koswell Burr, of Mansfield; Dallaa
N., deceased, and Eliza May, wife of Alexander Gaylord, of Blossburg. Mrs. Bailey
was born December 31, 1813, and died July 13, 1847. Mr. Bailey's second wife was
Sophia Lewis. By this marriage there was no issue. For his third wife he married
Julia Hagar, born May 2, 1830, a daughter of Isaac and Sallie Hagar, of Sullivan
township. She bore him seven children, viz: Myron F., of Wellsboro; Kobert Wil-
son, deceased; Elton L., of Mansfield; Wallace J., of Wellsboro; Carl E., of Blkland;
Frank W., of Wellsboro, and Fred. D., of Mansfield. After Mr. Bailey's death his
widow removed to Mansfield, where she still resides. He was a Eepublican in poli-
tics, and had served as collector of Richmond township..

John C. Howe was bom in Stafford, Connecticut, January 15, 1817, a son of
John and Mary (Davison) Howe. On his mother's side, he is descended from the
Cotton family, whose ancestor. Sir John Cotton, landed at Plymouth, Massachusetts,
in 1633. His grandfathers, James Howe and Daniel Davison, served in the Eevo~
lution, the latter under Gen. Israel Putnam, and his great-grandfather, Daniel
Davison, Sr., was in the French and Indian War. Three uncles. Col. Zepheniah
Williams, Corp. Silas Howe, and Joel Davison, served in the War of 1812; while his
brother, Frederick Howe, and three nephews, Samuel Burdiek (who died at Ander-
sonvUle), Dwight and Wesley Keigwin, the last of whom was a prisoner in Libby,
all served in the Rebellion. The subject of this sketch lived in Connecticut until
twenty-one years of age, and then came to Greenfield township, Lackawanna county,
whence he removed to Mansfield in April, 1859. On January 39, 1843, he married
Lodemia Smith, a native of Greenville, New York, born June 33, 1833. She became
the mother of six children, viz: Martha, wife of Horry B. Shaw, of Mansfield;
Elvira, deceased wife of William Gerald; John Frank and Hezekiah W., of Mans-
field; Emma, a resident of Lincoln, Nebraska, and Eunice, wife of J. M. D. Powers,
of Richmond township. Mrs. Howe died March 15, 1873, and April 15, 1874, he
married Elizabeth Van Deusen. She was bom at Palatine Bridge, New York, April
22, 1839, and is the mother of one son. Van V., a graduate of the State Normal
School. On November 15, 1861, Mr. Howe enlisted in Company B, One Hundred
and First Pennsylvania Volunteers. He received a gunshot wound in the right hand
at the battle of Fair Oaks. He also served in the battles of Yorktown, Williamsburg,
Kingston, White Hall and Goldsboro, and was honorably discharged on April 1,
1863. Mr. Howe assisted in establishing the Mansfield Classical Seminary, and was
a member of the board of trustees for thirty-four yeaxs. He was a member of the
building committtee, and advanced a large sum of money to aid in the construction
of the buildings, which liberal act came near wrecking him financially. Originally a
Whig, he has been a Republican since the organization of that party. He has served
as a school director and one term as justice of the peace of Richmond township. He
is connected with Mansfield Post, No. 48, G. A. R., and is a member of the Presbjrter-
ian church. Mrs. Howe's great-grandfather, Gensman, served in the French and
Indian War, while her grandfather, Proudy Van Deusen, served under General Put-
nam in the Revolution. Her father had two brothers in the War of 1813, and three



1068 HISTOEY OF TIOGA COUNTY.

of her brothers served in the Eebellion. She is a charter member of and an active
worker in Mansfield Post, No. 6, W. K. C. Her brother, Dr. George H. Van Deusen,
was a surgeon in the United States navy, and witnessed the memorable conflict
between the Monitor and Merrimac, while on board the man-of-wax Sachem, and her
brother, Gerrett, was a surgeon's steward in the fleet.

Eev. William DbWitt Taylok was bom in Yates county, New York, Sep-
tember 24, 1831, and was educated in Franklin Academy, Prattsburg, New York,
from which institution he graduated in the classical course in 1859. He taught
school successfully for several years and graduated at TJnion College, Schenectady,
New York. He entered the ministry of the Methodist Episcopal church, as a
member of the Genesee Conference. In 1863 and 1864 he was principal of the
Mansfield Classical Seminary. After the school passed under the control of the
State, he resigned and resumed his ministerial work, continuing in the active duties
thereof until 1886, filling in the meantime a number of important appointments.
For a few years after retiring from the ministry, he was engaged in the insurance
business in Binghamton, New York. In 1888 he purchased a farm of 190 acres,
near Canoe Camp, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he resided until his death,
January 16, 1892. Mr. Taylor was twice married. His first wife, Hattie Hayes, was
a daughter of Dr. Hayes, of Prattsburg, New York, and bore him one son, who died
in 1888, at the age of twenty-five years. Mrs. Taylor died in Binghamton, New
York. On January 3, 1888, he married Mrs. Amy (Davis) Cottrell, a daughter of
Capt. Ezra and Betsey (Walker) Davis. She was born in Mansfield, Tioga county,
and at the time of her marriage to Mr. Taylor was the widow of Charles S. Cottrell,
of McComb, Illinois, whom she married on September 17, 1873. Mr. Cottrell
died December 4, 1876. He was a prominent business man of McComb, a director
in the McComb bank and a leading and influential citizen. He left two children,
Charles S. and Clara D. Mrs. Taylor was married to Joseph Schusler, of Mansfield,
March 4, 1897.

Charles Sullings Kingsley was bom in Pittsford, Vermont, June 13, 1844,
a son of Ealph E. and Sarah (Sullings) Kingsley, both natives of Vermont and
descendants of prominent New England families. His father was bom Jmie 9, 1810,
and his mother in 1815. In 1847 the family came to Troy, Bradford county,
Pennsylvania, where Mr. Kingsley engaged in the tannery business as a member of
the firm of Bowen & Kingsley, with which he was connected ten years. In 1865 he
came to Mansfield, Tioga county, where he purchased an interest in the John W.
Kohn tannery. Three years later he bought out his partner, and was connected
with the business up to his death, December 26, 1893. His widow is yet living, at
the ripe age of eighty-one years. They were the parents of three children, viz:
Francis E., Charles S. and Flora, all residents of Mansfield. The subject of this sketch
was educated in the common schools and at the Collegiate Institute, in Towanda,
Pennsylvania. February 25, 1864, he enlisted in the Third Pennsylvania Artillery,
and was honorably discharged from the service at Philadelphia, November 9, 1865.
Most of the time he was stationed at Fortress Monroe, and the last nine months of
his term he was a clerk in the adjutant's office. Eeturning to Mansfield he en-
gaged in the tannery business with his father, the firm being E. E. Kingsley & Son
until the fall of 1868, when it was changed to C. S. Kingsley, its present title.



BIOGKAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1069



On September 13, 18T2, Mr. Kingsley married Jenjaie Linn Bailey, a daughter of
Benjamin and Clarissa (Johnson) Bailey, and has three children, viz: Harry B.,
Ealph E. and Kate S. In polities, Mr. Kingsley is a Eepublican, and has filled
the offices of burgess, councilman, school director and treasurer of the school board.
He is a member of General Mansfield Post, No. 48, G. A. E., and is one of the well-
known, enterprising citizens of Mansfield.

Levi Elliott was a native of Penobscot, Maine, born in 1791. He was a son of
Nathaniel and Nancy (Armstrong) Elliott, who came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania,
in 1808. They located near Covington, and later removed to Cherry Flats, where
they passed the remainder of their lives. In 1813 the subject of this sketch married
Amy Gillett, also bom in 1791, a daughter of Aaron Gillett, who came from Con-
necticut to Tioga county in 1798, and settled at Canoe Camp, removing in 1813 to
Cherry Flats. Mr. Elliott was a farmer, and lived in Covington until 1833, when
he moved into Charleston township, where he resided until his death, December
5, 1866, aged seventy-five years; his wife died in 1883, aged ninety-two years.
They were the parents of seven children, of whom but two are living, viz: Horace
J., and Nathaniel A., the former a resident of Westfield, and the latter of Mans-
field, Tioga county.

Nathaniel A. Elliott was bom in Covington township, Tioga county, Feb-
ruary 18, 1817, a son of Levi Elliott. He was reared on a farm, and received such an
education as the pioneer country schools afforded. On attaining his, majority,
he purchased a farm of fifty acres at Cherry Flats, to which he added from time
to time until he owned 400 acres. In 1866 he located in Mansfield, which has since
been his place of residence. Mr. Elliott was married September 10, 1838, to Anna
Myra Hart, a daughter of Ludwig Hart. The only child of this union, Mortimer
F., a prominent lawyer, is now the attorney of the Standard Oil Company at Oil
City, though Wellsboro is his place of residence. Mrs. Elliott died April 3, 1843,
and October 10, 1844, he married Charlotte E. Harkness, a daughter of Joel and
Ehnina Harkness. Five children were bom to this marriage, viz: Francis and Ed-
ward A., both deceased; George Frederick, a physician of Mansfield; Fannie E.,
wjfe of T. 0. Whitnall, of Syracuse, New York, and Henry A., deceased. In pol-
itics, Mr. Elliott is an unwavering Democrat, and for many years has been prominent
in the local councils of his party. He served in the state legislature in 1848-49;
was county commissioner from 1876 to 1883, and has also filled the offices of justice
of the peace, assessor of the borough and school director. President Cleveland
appointed him postmaster of Mansfield in 1886, and he held the office until 1890.
In religion, he is a member of the Presbyterian church, and is also connected with
Friendship Lodge, No. 347, F. & A. M. Colonel Elliott is one of the oldest living
citizens born in Tioga county, as well as one of the best informed concerning its
history. His long life has been earnest, useful and unblemished, and the respect
and esteem which he enjoys is a well-deserved tribute to his character. *

James Hoaed, son of Enos Hoard, was bom March 17, 1810, in Stockbridge,
New York, there grew to maturity, and January 1, 1840, married A-lmira Bobbins,
who was bom in Stockbridge, Massachusetts, November 1, 1809. In the fall of
1849 the family came to Eichmond township, Tioga county, and settled five miles
west of Mansfield, where Mr. Hoard was engaged in farming until 1874. In that



1070 HISTOKT OF TIOGA COUNTY.



year he removed to Mansfield, and died on May 2, 1878. His wife died July 20
1890. They were the parents of the following children: Fannie Gertrude, wife of
Wesley Bailey, of Eichmond township; Sarah J., and James Perry, both deceased,
and Joseph Seth, of Mansfield. In polities, Mr. Hoard was a RepubUcan, and in
religion, a member of the Presbyterian church. He was an earnest, sincere man
whose upright life won him the respect of all who knew him.

Joseph Seth Hoaed was bom in Richmond township, Tioga county, Novem-
ber 7, 1852, and is the youngest child of James and Almira Hoard. He was reared
on a farm, attended the common schools of his distriftt in boyhood, and graduated
from the State Normal School, at Mansfield, in 1871. After his graduation he
taught one year, and then took a course in Eastman's Business College, Pough-
keepsie. New York. On November 1, 1872, he entered the banking house of Ross
& Williams, of Mansfield, as a book-keeper, and remained iu that institution up to
1885, during which period he also had charge of the insurance business carried
on in connection with the bank. Upon leaving the bank he established the well-
known insurance agency with which his name has since been connected. Mr.
Hoard was married June 10, 1875, to Sarah Margaret Elliott, a daughter of Orson V.
and Celia (Kelley) Elliott, of Mansfield, who has borne him three children, viz:
Harry Reed, Nellie Margaret and Donald Victor. In religion, Mr. Hoard is a
member of the Presbyterian church, and in politics, an adherent of the Repubhcan
party. He is a trustee of the State Normal School, and has been secretary and as-
sistant secretary of Smythe Park Association for several years. He takes a deep ia-
terest in the cause of education, as well as in everything that assists in the moral
advancement of the community.

Maectjs S. French, proprietor of the Hotel French, of Mansfield, was born in
Corning, New York, August 7, 1847. His parents, Luther and Clara (Shepard)
French, natives of Otsego county. New York, reared five children, as follows: George
E., a resident of Centre county, Pennsylvania; Adeline, wife of Charles White, of
Caton, New York; Julia, wife of Henry Wescott, of Lindley, New York; Frances,
wife of Alvin K. Linderman, of Troy, Pennsylvania, and Marcus S. In 1854 Mr.
French went to California, where he remained eighteen years, engaged in mining
and cattle dealing. He then returned to Steuben county. New York, where he died
in June, 1891, aged eighty-nine years, and his wife, in September, 1893, aged eighty-
seven years. They were the oldest persons in Caton at the time of their death. The
subject of this sketch was reared on a farm, later learned the mason's trade, and
became a contractor and builder. In 1875 he came to Mansfield, where he followed
contracting and building up to April, 1891, when he took charge of the Hotel Allen.
During that period he erected the several brick blocks which formed the business
part of Mansfield, the graded school building, and did the masonry work on Alumni
Hall, of the State Normal School. He also erected buildings in other parts of the
county, all of which attest the faithful performance of his contracts. His suc-
cessful management of the Hotel Allen made him a popular landlord, and brought
him the liberal patronage and good will of the traveling public. He conducted this
house until the spring of 1897, when he opened the Hotel French in the same bor-
ough. Mr. French was married on December 25, 1871, to Henrietta Nares, daugh-
ter of James and Caroline (Lindon) Nares, who has borne him five children, viz:



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1071



George, deceased; Catherine E., wife of John H. Causer, of Elmira; Stella, de-
ceased; Mahel, and Mark J. In politics, Mr. French is a Democrat, and has served
several terms as school director. He is a member of Friendship Lodge, No. 347, F.
& A. M., and the family are adherents of the Presbyterian church.

Nathaniel Peaseley Moody was bom in Haverhill, Massachusetts, in 1760.
His great-grandfather, "William Moody, came from Scotland in 1632. At sixteen
years of age Nathaniel P. entered the Continental army and served through the Eevo-
lution, at the close of which he took up his residence in Great Harrington, Massa-
chusetts, where he met and married Susan Griffin. He was a graduate of Yale
College, in which institution he completed his studies after leaving the army. In
1795 he came to Wysox, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, whence he removed to
Osceola, Tioga county, where he died in 1833, aged seventy-two years.

Moses Moody was born in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, October 5, 1790,
a son of Nathaniel Peaseley Moody, and was five years old when his parents settled
in Bradford county, Pennsylvania. He married Phoebe Allen, who became the
mother of twelve children, six of whom are living, as follows: John A., of Mans-
field; N. N., a merchant and postmaster of Asylum, Bradford county; H. M.,
a physician of Smithfield; William W., of Litchfield, Bradford county; Elizabeth,
wife of Albert Lent, of Wysox, Bradford county, and Amanda, widow of William
Barnes, of Ithaca, New York. Mr. Moody died in October, 1873, and his wife,
January 1, 1876.

John A. Moody, oldest living child of Moses Moody, was bom in Wysox,
Bradford county, Pennsylvania, January 11, 1818. When he was twelve years old
his parents removed to Eome, in the same county, where he grew to manhood. He
followed famiing there until 1876, when he went to Canton and engaged in mer-
chandising, also in the insurance business, both of which he followed until 1884,



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 146 of 163)