Emanuel Swedenborg.

History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania online

. (page 147 of 163)
Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 147 of 163)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


when he removed to Mansfield, Tioga county, and has since devoted his entire
attention to the latter. Mr. Moody was married January 3, 1841, to Harriet E.,
a daughter of John and Jemima Dickerson, who bore him three children, viz: Ben-
jamin, a physician of Mansfield; Tillie, wife of G. W. Mills, of Lordsburg, California,
and Lewis, a resident of Canton, Bradford county. Mrs. Moody died October 16,
1874, and he married for his second wife Jeannette (Lewis) Moody, widow of his
cousin, Horace P. Moody. In politics, Mr. Moody is a Republican, and was elected a
justice of the peace in 1892, which position he now occupies. In religion, he is a
member of the Methodist Episcopal church.

Benjamin Moody, M. D., eldest son of John A. and Harriet Moody, was bom
in Frenchtown, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, September 28, 1841, and there
received his primary education. During the Eebellion he served in Company C,
Thirty-seventh Pennsylvania Emergency Men, and also in Company F, Eighth
New York Heavy Artillery. In 1865 he began the study of medicine under Dr.
T. F. Madill, of Wysox, Bradford county. He graduated from Geneva Medical
College, at Geneva, New York, in 1868, and from Jefferson Medical College, Phila-
delphia, in 1869, in which year he commenced practice with his preceptor, at
Wysox. From 1870 to 1875 he practiced in Wyalusing, Bradford county, removing
in the latter year to Eoseville, Tioga county, and in 1877 to Mansfield, where he
has since built up a lucrative practice. Dr. Moody was married September 28,



1072 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

1871, to Adelia Lyon, a daughter of Stephen and Margaret Lyon, of Spring Hill,
Bradford county. Four children have been bom to this marriage, viz: Eva Grace,
Hattie Blanche and Maggie Leone, all deceased, and Dora H. In politics. Dr. Moody
is a Eepubliean, and has filled the office of school director several years. In re-
ligion, he is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which he has been
steward for a number of years. He is also connected with Mansfield Post, No. 48,
Gr. A. K., of which he was commander in 1883 and 1896. Dr. Moody not only bears
the reputation of being a skillful and successful physician, but is regarded as one of
the leading citizens of Mansfield.

W. W. Bentlet, third son of Bethuel Bentley, was bom in Eutland township,
Tioga county, Pennsylvania, December 1, 1827. His grandfather, Major Bentley,
came from Chemung county, New York, and settled on the Tioga river, near
Mitchell's Creek, in April, 1806. The subject of this sketch was reared in his
native township, and became a farmer and well-known bridge builder. He married
Sarah Searls, a daughter of John Searls, and a native of Tompkins (now Schuyler)
county. New York, who bore him the following children: E. N., of Mansfield; Helen,
wife of E. M. Cass, of the same borough; Mary, wife of John H. Luckey, of Troy,
Bradford county; G. W., a resident of Mansfield, and Susan, wife of E. E. Long-
bothum, of the same place. In politics, Mr. Bentley is a Eepubliean, and has
served as a member of the borough council of Mansfield, where he has lived since
1877. In religion, he is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. A man
of great energy and industry, he has been largely interested in real estate and build-
ing enterprises in other places, in addition to his bridge building operations.

E. N. Bentley, oldest son of W. W. Bentley, was bom in Eutland township,
Tioga county, March 1, 1850, and obtained a common school education. In early
manhood he became an iron-worker, and in 1875 entered the employ of the Athens
Bridge Company, for whom he traveled two years. He next had charge of the
erection gang for two years, and then entered the service of the Keystone Bridge
Company. While in their employ as foreman, he built the bridge on the Mis-
sissippi river at Keokuk, Iowa. He afterward worked for Dean & Westbrook, of
New York City, and also for the Groton, New York, company, and for the Elmira
Bridge Company. In 1892 he commenced business for himself, as a bridge builder
and contractor, and the same year built the highway bridge across the Susquehanna
river, at Jersey Shore, Lycoming county. Since arriving at manhood he has built
thirty-six highway and several railroad bridges in Tioga county. On May 15, 1872,
Mr. Bentley married Lois Booth, a daughter of Erastus Booth, of Troy, Bradford
county, who bore him one daughter, Louisa, wife of A. M. Armour, of Morrisville,
New York, a nephew of Philip Armour, the great pork-packer of Chicago. Mrs.
Bentley died in January, 1880, and December 17, 1885, he married Elsie Odell.
In politics, Mr. Bentley is a Eepubliean. He devotes his whole attention and
energy to bridge building, and is one of the most successful contractors and builders
in that line in northern Pennsylvania.

D. C. BuENHAM, son of Halsey and Anna (Knickerbocker) Bumham, was
born August 3, 1859, in Granville, Bradford county, Pennsylvania. His father
was a native of Vermont, and his mother of Chemung county. New York. They
located in Bradford county in the early forties, where his father followed the pro-



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1073



fession of civil engineer. He died NoYember 19, 1864, and his wife, April 7, 1891.
They were members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and Mr. Burnham was
connected with the Masonic order. The subject of this sketch was their onl^ child,
and was reared in his native county. He obtained a good common school education,
and in 1877 came to Mansfield, Tioga county, where he found employment as a
clerk in Dr. C. V. Elliott's drug store. He remained in that position until 1890,
and then embarked in business for himself, and has since carried on a drug, book
and stationery store in Mansfield, and enjoys a good trade. On April 15, 1891, Mr.
Burnham married Addie E. Curtis, a daughter of Charles and Hannah Curtis, of
Norwich, New York. In politics, Mr. Burnham is a Eepublican, and in religion,
a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He is also connected with Mans-
field Lodge, No. 536, 1. 0. 0. F. Though one of the younger business men of Mans-
field, Mr. Burnham enjoys the confidence and esteem of the people, and is recognized
as a good business man and an enterprising citizen.

Joseph Hxtsted was bom in South port. New York, December 17, 1820, a son
of James and Catherine (Miller) Husted. His father was born in Burlington, Ver-
mont, August 3, 1782, and settled at Southport at an early day. In 1838 he came
to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and located on a farm in Covington, where
he resided for a number of years. He afterward moved to Mansfield, where he died
November 15, 1865. Joseph grew to manhood in Covington, and, August 24,
1843, married Juliet E., a daughter of Everett "Winter and Lydia (Walker) Bloss,
of Covington, who was bom at Blossburg, Pennsylvania, on May 24, 1826. Her
father was the oldest child of Aaron Bloss, a native of Killingby, Connecticut, bom
May 29, 1775, who settled in Chenango county. New York, whence he removed to
Covington, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1801, and in 1802 located on the site
of Blossburg, then a wilderness, which place was named in his honor. Upon his
land was found bituminous coal, the first mine being opened by Mr. Bloss. He
died at Covington, March 24, 1843. His son, Everett "Winter Bloss, was bom in
Chenango county, New York, September 20, 1800, was reared in Blossburg, and
removed to Covington in early manhood, where he resided until his death, Septem-
ber 29, 1882. Mr. and Mrs. Husted are the parents of four children, viz: Cordelia
L., deceased wife of David S. Ireland; Wilmot D., of Mansfield; Lyman S., a resi-
dent of Pottsville, Pennsylvania, and Lelia I., wife of Burt Coe, of Covington.
The parents are residents of Covington, and among the oldest citizens of that
borough.

Wilmot D. Hfsted was bom in Covington, Tioga county, April 15, 1856. and
is the eldest son of Joseph Husted. He was educated in the public schools and the
State Normal School, at Mansfield, and at the age of fifteen entered the employ
of the Covington Glass Company, where he acted as office boy one year. He then
became a clerk in the general store of Edwin Dyer, but in 1874 again entered the
ofiiee of the Covington Glass Company. After attending the State Normal School
until a member of the senior class, he taught school in the factory district of Cov-
ington. He next worked a few months for the Tioga Eailroad Company, and
then became a book-keeper for the Covington Glass Works, and a few months later
manager for that concern. In 1878 he came to Mansfield and entered the bank
of Boss & Williams, as book-keeper, which position he filled with slight interruption



3^074 HISTOST OP TIOGA COUNTY.



until 1887, when he was promoted to head book-keeper, a position he still occupies.
Mr. Husted was married January 20, 1876, to Kate Johnson, of Covington, Penn-
sylvania. Five children have been born to them, viz: Kay, Hajry Lee, deceased;
Marcus F., Leah Margaret and Genavene Louise. In politics, Mr. Husted is a
Eepublican, and has served one term as burgess of Mansfield and two terms as a
member of the school board. He is a member of Friendship Lodge, No. 347, F. &
A. M., and a charter member of the Mansfield Hook and Ladder Company. He is
secretary of the board of trade, and has always taken an active interest in promoting
the general welfare of the borough.

John Habmanus Yeddeh, son of TJri and Agnes Ellen Grieves (Joyce) Ted-
der, was bom in ITiskayuna, New York, September 2, 1830, the sixth in the line
of descent from Harmon Albertse Vedder, a native of Holland, who was a trader
at Beverwyck, New York, prior to 1657, and later settled at Schenectady. In 1663,
when Schenectady was first laid out, he became one of its landed proprietors. The
line of descent runs as follows: Harmon Albertse; Albert, born May 10, 1671;
Harmanus, bom September 3, 1704; Johannes, bom September 9, 1750; Uri,
bom April 13, 1808, and John Harmanus. Albert was captured by the French
and Indians at the buming of Schenectady in 1690, but returned to his home in
safety. The subject of this sketch was married at Duanesburgh, New York, October
3, 1853, to Catherine Elizabeth McFarlan, to^ which union were bom three children,
viz: Darey Alexander, bom July 36, 1854, and died March 9, 1855; Wentworth
Darcy, of Mansfield, and Mary Isabella, a resident of Troy, New York. A few
years after his marriage Mr. Vedder removed to Oxford, Wisconsin, where he lived
about one year. About 1859 he returned to New York state and took up his resi-
dence in Schenectady, where he died June 3, 1877. His wife died in the same place,
July 19, 1861.

Wentwoeth D. Veddee, M. D., was born in Oxford, Wisconsin, April 7, 1858,
and is the only living son of John H. and Catherine E. Vedder. When he was about
a year old his parents removed to Schenectady. He was educated in the common
schools and at Union College, attending the latter institution from 1875 to 1877.
At the death of his father he entered the office of Dr. Livingston EUwood, of
Schenectady, and subsequently took a course at the College of Physicians and Sur-
geons, Baltimore, Maryland, graduating in March, 1880, Prof. Oscar J. Coskery being
his preceptor. He began the practice of medicine at Troupsburg, New York, the
same year, whence he removed to Mansfield three months later, where he has since
continued in the active duties of his professsion. Dr. Vedder has recently taken
a post-gi'aduate course in the New York Post-Graduate Medical School and Hos-
pital; is a diligent student; keeps well abreast of the progress in medical and surgical
science, and is recognized as a successful and skillful physician and surgeon. On
January 6, 1885, he married Kate Baldwin, a daughter of Dr. Aaron and Fannie
Baldwin, of Washington, D. C, who died April 36, following. On September 13,
1894, he married Cora Mahala Strait, a daughter of M. Sanford and Ehoda F.
Strait, of Lawrence township, to which union has been bom one son, Sanford
Elihu, August 19, 1895. In politics. Dr. Vedder is a Eepublican, and in religion,
a member of the Protestant Episcopal church. He is one of the most advanced
Masons in this section of the State, being Past Master of Friendship Lodge, No.



BIOGKAPHICAL SKBTCHES. 1075



247, of Mansfield; Past High Priest of Westfield Chapter, No. 265, of Westfield;
Eminent Commander of Tyagaghton Commandery, No. 28, of Wellsboro; a mem-
ber of Caldwell Consistory, of Bloomsburg, and of Rajah Temple, A. A. 0. N. M. S.,
of Reading. He is also Past Noble Grand of Mansfield LK)dge, No. 536, 1. 0. 0. F.,
and Past Chief Patriarch of Sylvania Encampment. Dr. Vedder is an ex-president
of the old Tioga County Medical Society, as well as of the present medical society.
He is a member of the Elmira Academy of Medicine, and also of the Pennsylvania
State Medical Society. He has been a member of the pension board of Tioga county,
appointed in 1888, and is one of the present consulting surgeons of the Cottage
State Hospital, at Blossburg. Dr. Vedder is a member of the Holland Society of
New York City, and is the owner of a Holland Dutch Bible that has been in the
Vedder family since 1681. The Doctor is actively interested in the cause of edu-
cation and is a member of the board of trustees of the State Normal School at Mans-
field.

Cephas Bailey was born in Andover, Vermont, May 16, 1806, there grew
to manhood and married Caroline M. Wright, a native of South Londonderry,
Vermont, who became the mother of the following children: Romanzo C, a resi-
dent of Elmira; Harrison C, of Mansfield; Victoria C, wife of Oseaj Simonds, of
Middlebury; Joseph 0. W., deceased; Nancy A., wife of Horace L. Stevens, and
two that died in early youth. They had also an adopted son, Henry C, now de-
ceased. Romanzo C. served in Company F, Sixth Massachusetts Volunteers, whose
march through Baltimore was one of the memorable events of the first month of the
Rebellion. He also served as first lieutenant in the One Hundred and Thirty-sixth
Pennsylvania Volunteers; as captain of Company A, Eighth United States Colored
Troops, and as first lieutenant of Company E, Thirty-fifth Pennsylvania Militia.
The subject of this sketch was a farmer and came to Middlebury township, Tioga
county, in 1856. After retiring from active work, he made his home with his son,
Haxrison C, in Mansfield, where he died December 23, 1884. His wife died August
1, 1878.

Haeeison C. Bailey was born ia Athens, Vermont, October 4, 1837, a son of
Cephas Bailey, and came with his parents to Middlebury township, Tioga county',
ia 1856. He obtained a common school education, and was reared on a farm. On
April 21, 1861, within a week of the fall of Fort Sumter, he enlisted in Company
G, First Pennsylvania Rifles, known as Bucktails. His regiment was assigned to
McCall's Division, of the Fifth Army Corps. ' On June 6, 1862, at the battle of
Harrisonburgh, West Virginia, he was wounded four times, one of which necessitated
the amputation of his left arm. Being thus incapacitated for further service, he
remained in the hospitals at Mt. Jackson and Winchester, Virginia, and Baltimore,
Maryland, until convalescent, and was honorably discharged at Harrisburg, July
21, 1862. Returning to Tioga county, he served as enrolling officer in Middlebury
in 1862 and 1863, and as second quartermaster of the Eighteenth Congressional dis-
trict, at Williamsport, in 1864-65. His grandfathers, Cyrus Bailey and Joseph
Wright, served in the War of 1812, and his great-grandfather, Sylvester Bailey,
served in the Revolution. Mr. Bailey was married October 19, 1863, to Minerva
L. Stoddard, a daughter of George G. and Louisa (Jackson) Stoddard. She was
bom in Swansea, Vermont, November 11, 1839, and is the mother of six children,



1076 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

viz: Prank H., a civil engineer, Elmira, New York; Eula I., wife of Frank A.
Beach, of Elmira; May H., wife of L. A. Trowbridge, of Jackson township; Earl
C, Joseph 0. W. and Ealph J. Mr. Bailey is a stanch Eepublican, was treasurer
of Tioga county in 1868-69, and has also served as constable of Middlebnry town-
ship, and a& a member of the borough council of Mansiield, where he has lived since
1877. He is a member of Mansfield Post, No. 48, G. A. E., in which he has filled
the office of commander, while his wife is connected with Mansfield Corps, No.
6, W. E. C.

Isaac Steait was bom in Vermont, and came with his parents to Columbia
township, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, about 1813, and there grew to maturity.
About 1830 he removed to Potter county, and became its first prothonotary. In
1841-42 he returned to Bradford county, where he resided until his death, in 1874.
Mr. Strait was twice married. His first wife was Maria Benson, a daughter of
Doctor Benson, who bore him the following children: Cornelia Sophia, wife of
Edmund Case, a resident of Bradford county; William B., who died in early man-
hood; George Prance, who died in Minnesota, in 1888; Charles L., and Edward E.,
a resident of Topeka, Kansas. His second wife was Elizabeth Ayres, a daughter
of Abijah Ayres, who bore him four children, viz: Churchill B., deceased; Maria,
wife of Edward Eeddington, of Bradford county; Lois L., wife of Nelson Maynard,
a resident of the same county, and Mary, wife of William Bradford, who lives near
Sylvania.

Chaeles L. Steait, a son of Isaac and Maria Strait, was bom in Coudersport,
Potter county, September 30, 1835. When eighteen years of age he began clerking
in the store of A. D. Austin, of Austinville, Bradford county. In 1859 he came
to Eoseville, Tioga county, where he carried on a general store for about twenty
years. Coming to Mansfield in 1879, he became a member of the hardware firm
of Strait & Kohler, with which he was connected up to 1886, when he went to
Carter county, Tennessee, and engaged in lumbering, his family, however, remaining
in Mansfield. In 1890 he returned to Mansfield, where he has since lived. Al-
though not actively engaged in business, he is interested in the hardware store con-
ducted by his son, George L. Mr. Strait was married September 10, 1860, to
Cordelia M. Watkins, a daughter of W. B. Watkins, of Bradford county, who has
borne him four children, viz: George L., Thad B., Edith M., wife of Thomas D.
Farrer, of Boise City, Idaho, and Fred W. Mr. Strait is a member of the Universalist
church, and in politics, an adherent of the Eepublican party, his first presidential
vote being cast for Abraham Lincoln.

Geoege L. Steait, eldest son of Charles Ij. Strait, and grandson of Isaac Strait,
was born in Austinville, Bradford county, December 3, 1865. He obtained a com-
mon school education, and became familiar with the practical details of business
while clerking in his fathers store. On October 24, 1888, he mairied Anna E.
Westbrook, a daughter of J. H. Westbrook, and has two children, Walter C. and
Blanche. Mr. Strait is the head of the hardware and tinsmithing house of George
L. Strait, of Mansfield, and is noted for his energy and enterprise. In politics, a
Eepublican, he has served as a member of- the borough council. He is also connected
with Friendship Lodge, No. 247, P. & A. M.

Levi Hubbaed Shattuck was born at Fayston,- Vermont, September 1, 1816,



BIOGEAPHICAL SKETCHES. 1077



a, son of Henry and Olive P. (Turner) Shattuek, natives of Massachusetts. He was
but two years old when his parents located in Massachusetts, where he received his
primary education in the common schools, later supplemented by terms at Deer-
field, Hopkins and Amherst Academies. In the meantime he taught school a part
of two years. In 1836 he removed to New Brunswick, New Jersey, and .three years
later to Plainfield, where he found employment as a locomotive fireman on the
Elizabethtown and Somerville railroad, now the New Jersey Central. Within three
months he becaxae an engineer on the same road, and later took the position of
station agent and contractor at Bound Brook, and followed the same business at
Somerville, spending two years in this line of work. For the succeeding nine years
he filled the position of conductor, three years on freight and six years on passenger
trains. On the completion of the road to Easton, in July, 1853, Mr. Shattuek was
appointed station agent at that place, which position he filled until November fol-
lowing, when he was tendered that of superintendent of the Corning, Blossburg and
Tioga railroad. He accepted the office and made his headquarters at Corning, New
York, for nearly fifteen years. In 1866 he removed to Blossburg, Tioga county,
where he continued acting as superintendent of the Tioga road. That part of the
road from Tioga Junction to Elmira was built under the management of Mr. Shat-
tuek, as was also the section extending from Amot to Hoytville, of which he was
president. On December 1, 1883, he resigned the superintendency of the Tioga
road for the purpose of recuperating his failing health, and retired to Mansfield in
October, 1884. In a letter announcing the resignation of Mr. Shattuek, J. C,
Guthrie, vice-president of the road, said:

For thirty-one years — with zeal, energy and honesty, through changes of ownership and
administration — Mr. Shattuek has faithfully served the interests of the company, and
in retiring hears with him its hest wishes for his health and prosperity.

On December 16, 1884, he- was again elected to his former position and resumed
the duties of superintendent, but finally gave up the office towards the .close of
1885. Eetiring to his home in Mansfield he resided there up to his death, November
1, 1888, aged seventy-two years. In 1841 Mr. Shattuek married Sarah L. Pack,
and reared a family of five children, all of whom are living, viz: Mrs. William F.
Fox, of Albany, New York; Mrs. Charles H. Verrill, of Franklin, New York;
Henry P., a resident of Buffalo; Mrs. Charles L. Shattuek, of Elmira, and Alfred
J., a lawyer of Wellsboro. Mr. Shattuek was originally a Presbyterian, but united
with the Baptist church after his marriage. He always took a prominent part in
church work, as teacher of an adult Bible class, and was a deacon in the Mansfield
church at the time of his death. He was a man of strong character, strict integrity,
and love of truth. Possessing excellent business methods, whatever his hands
found to do he did with all his energy, and his success in life was principally due to
his industry and faithfulness in the discharge of every duty. Upright and hon-
orable in all his dealings with the men under his charge, he merited and won the
confidence of the company and their employes.

Ebee VakKeueen, M. D., was born in Showangunk, Ulster county. New
York, January 35, 1831. He studied medicine and became a physician of the
regular school, and for over forty yeaxs practiced in Hammondsport, Bath, Coming



1078 HISTOET OF TIOGA COUNTY.

aoad Painted Post, ^ew York. On November 20, 1846, he married Sarah H.
Baker, a d^cendant of Samuel Baker, the first settler of Tioga county, Penn-
sylvania. She was bom in Pleasant Valley, New York, October 7, 1823, and be-
came the mother of three children, viz: Prank, who died in childhood; Nellie
B., wife of Samuel J. McCuUoch, an attorney of Kansas City, Missouri, and a son
of Eev. Samuel J. McCulloch, the first pastor of the Presbyterian church at Tioga,
and Frank B., editor of the Mansfield Advertiser. Dr. VanKeuren died in Com-
ing, New York, April 7, 1887, and his wife, December 3, 1886.

Fkank E. VanKeuren, son of Dr. Eber VanKeuren, was bom in Ham-
mondsport. New York, October 26, 1861. He received a common school education
and learned the printing trade in the ofiice of the Steuben Courier, Bath, New York,
where he worked four and a half years. He then found employment in the job
department of the Elmira Advertiser, Elmira, New York, and was afterwards fore-
man of the same office. Eetuming to Bath, he worked there for a time, and then
went to Wellsboro, Tioga county, where he had charge of the mechanical depart-
ment of the Advocate. In the spring of 1885 he came to Mansfield and purchased
the Advertiser from W. A. Kowland. In July following Sheridan E. Coles became
his partner, and the paper has since been published by VanKeuren & Coles. The
Advertiser is neutral in politics, and is devoted to the local interests of Mansfield
and the eastern portion of the county. It is ably edited, its local columns readable
and interesting, and it receives a liberal support. Mr. VanKeuren is well known
as a practical printer, and in the spring of 1896 he received the appointment as
instructor of the art of printing in the New York Trade School. On September



Online LibraryEmanuel SwedenborgHistory of Tioga County, Pennsylvania → online text (page 147 of 163)